Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 22, 2018 6:44 PM
Jan 2018
About proposal people might think it just a harem crap but I this is kinda serious though. Ai's mother want Ai to have solid job and income when she grown up that why if Ai can't become professional player Yaichi have to take responsibility for that. She ask Yaichi to risk his life for Ai's future.

If he married Ai it might difficult for him to handle both Shogi and inn business, I know there are an old man in 3-Gatsu who use Shogi as excuse to exempt from household work but I don't don't think Ai's mother gonna allow it, so he have to do both Shogi and inn together. On the plus side is Ai gonna as hot as her mother when she grown up. LOL.

Yaichi's fiancee remind of someone from Gundam.

Spoiler from Gundam Iron Blood Orphan
Jan 22, 2018 6:48 PM

Oct 2012
Well it looks like Yaichi got a fall back job if the whole shogi pro dosnt work out now
Jan 22, 2018 8:11 PM
Sep 2010
silentway said:
The music is really intense during the Ginko match, it's seem this girl don't know how to holding back at all. LOL.

There are some thing bothering me though, in Ai's second match when she dropped Gold on her opponent's King head how did that check mate, Ai only have two Silvers on her hand. King can just ake Ai's Gold and then escape in his next move. I'm still newbie to Shogi can someone tell me how to checkmate that king?

It will take more than 15 moves to deliver a checkmate from the above. Do you still want to know the concrete lines?
Jan 22, 2018 8:17 PM
Jan 2017
The most intense episode so far, featuring the match between Ai and Ginko. Although Ai didn't win, she managed to deliver an impressive match and got to become Yaichi's disciple after all. It was also very hilarious to see Yaichi take Ai as a disciple under such conditions. Well, I guess the previous episodes were just a prologue and this is where the main story begins.
Jan 22, 2018 8:23 PM
Feb 2013
takodori said:
silentway said:
The music is really intense during the Ginko match, it's seem this girl don't know how to holding back at all. LOL.

There are some thing bothering me though, in Ai's second match when she dropped Gold on her opponent's King head how did that check mate, Ai only have two Silvers on her hand. King can just ake Ai's Gold and then escape in his next move. I'm still newbie to Shogi can someone tell me how to checkmate that king?

It will take more than 15 moves to deliver a checkmate from the above. Do you still want to know the concrete lines?

Wow more than 15 moves? When Yaichi said it will take a few moves I thought Ai only need 3-4 moves but after I watched it again Yaichi also said "whether or not Ai will realized that" I just realized it gonna need more moves than I thought. Shogi players really amazing. And yes if it not bothering you please tell me how to checkmate this king.
silentwayJan 22, 2018 8:36 PM
Jan 22, 2018 8:45 PM
Sep 2010

Here is a link to a mating line to replay.
(link deleted)

Oh, this link is better.
https://goo.gl/wqRewg

And another significant variation.
https://goo.gl/WY2kBH

There are still more minor variations, but I hope these two lines will satisfy you.
takodoriJan 22, 2018 8:53 PM
Jan 22, 2018 8:58 PM
Feb 2013
takodori said:

Here is a link to a mating line to replay.
(link deleted)

Oh, this link is better.
https://goo.gl/wqRewg

And another significant variation.
https://goo.gl/WY2kBH

There are still more minor variations, but I hope these two lines will satisfy you.

I see thank a lot takodori. I never know a site like this exist, it really easy to understand, awesome.
Jan 22, 2018 10:27 PM

Mar 2014
please change ai's line from ko ko ko to sex sex sex while she is playing shogi.
Jan 22, 2018 11:46 PM

Aug 2014
FacelessBone said:
Loli comes in like a lion... Actually better than the parody I expected!
Besides, now the couple is officially engaged... Kinda worrying legitimization!

Well both of them aren't legal to marry yet.
Once both of them over 20? Idk what's the legal marriage on Japan i am sure they have only 7 years gap (MC is 16, AI is 9)
It's even happen irl, it's just sometimes anime oversaturate this problem.

Me after AI mother say marry her
YES!
Jan 23, 2018 12:10 AM

Dec 2009
Parentally consented lolicon?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFYES

Still, this show gets me really hyped and emotional for what's going on holy crap.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 23, 2018 12:25 AM
Nov 2017
My favorite episode so far. Left me smiling, fist-pumping happy. My favorite single scene is still her shadow boxing at Ayumu in ep. 1, though. :)

Sora is going to go too far in taking out her anger at Yaichi on poor Ai, and will sorely regret it.
Jan 23, 2018 1:13 AM
May 2017
Ai’s parents make kuzuryuu yaichi a lolicon.....but i still enjoy it.... i don’t why
Jan 23, 2018 5:48 AM

May 2014
its a good episode though
Ginko really take it seriously but I prefer it like that instead of just playing around because it will mean Ai is not a worthy opponent

and Ai's defeat will just make her get stronger in playing shogi its a good motivation

i dont like the last part though with that mother of Ai making that decision
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2018 6:04 AM

Jan 2015
"Hand in Ai to me"
I realized how this anime is not for me and how much i dislike it after this episode. Firstly the characters which is the most important part of any anime for me, **Completely annoying** That mother is the most annoying, disgusting character ever, i understand she is as a feministic mother wants the best for her child and she doesnt see shogi as the way to go, even though i dont agree with her since its obviously what AI wants to do, but what actually pissed me off was her not warming up after seeing how hard her daughter worked and how she beat a fucking MENTOR, who probably played shogi for 20 years and despite being told that Ginko is a realllly big deal and even then Ai almost beat her, that still didnt change mother's opinion.

And that groveling by MC,pffffft disgusting, groveling to that nasty woman, i really wanted to puke or throw something at my screen, but then only couple minutes were left so i knew i would live it through.
That beta father too, at least one nice thing that he did is to wholeheartedly ask master to accept his daughter as apprentice.

Ginko tsunderish nature is getting too annoying as well, well whatever im mad, at least there is one week break time between the episodes,my negative feelings might dissolve by that time >_<
Jan 23, 2018 6:13 AM
Jan 2018
Hirugiku said:
"Hand in Ai to me"
I realized how this anime is not for me and how much i dislike it after this episode. Firstly the characters which is the most important part of any anime for me, **Completely annoying** That mother is the most annoying, disgusting character ever, i understand she is as a feministic mother wants the best for her child and she doesnt see shogi as the way to go, even though i dont agree with her since its obviously what AI wants to do, but what actually pissed me off was her not warming up after seeing how hard her daughter worked and how she beat a fucking MENTOR, who probably played shogi for 20 years and despite being told that Ginko is a realllly big deal and even then Ai almost beat her, that still didnt change mother's opinion.

And that groveling by MC,pffffft disgusting, groveling to that nasty woman, i really wanted to puke or throw something at my screen, but then only couple minutes were left so i knew i would live it through.
That beta father too, at least one nice thing that he did is to wholeheartedly ask master to accept his daughter as apprentice.

Ginko tsunderish nature is getting too annoying as well, well whatever im mad, at least there is one week break time between the episodes,my negative feelings might dissolve by that time >_<

Why you still here, just to suffer?(Sorry about MGS joke.)
Anyway I'm kind feel bad for you bro, dropping this show would better choice for your own mental health.
AdolDDKJan 24, 2018 2:49 AM
Jan 23, 2018 6:18 AM

Jan 2015
@adolDDK well you never know what might change, you cant execute a person for one bad deed just like you cant drop anime because of one episode, i was letting my frustration out, i watched tons of seasonals, there were many of them that i hated at the beginning but loved at the end, what matters is how you feel about it at the end.
Jan 23, 2018 6:31 AM

Sep 2015
I feel like whenever this anime does something smart and engaging, it counters itself by doing something downright stupid. So this mother is already marrying Ai off when she's 9 years old, to a 16-year-old, who she's supposed to have a strict master-disciple relationship with? Um, there's a thing called pedophilia...
AND EVERYONE (in the show) IS OKAY WITH THIS????

I expected her to suggest that she marry his younger brother BECAUSE THEN THEY WOULD BE IN THE SAME AGE RANGE (assumedly), AS THAT WOULD BE THE LOGICAL CONCLUSION TO MAKE ESPECIALLY AFTER ASKING IF HE HAD SIBLINGS.

The writer is half-assing this story and it's making me kinda mad. You don't make compelling main characters and set up an engaging scenario, only to wrap it up with an even more contrived scenario just to serve as "fanservice' for the audience. I think I can hear NisiOisiN laughing at the poor use of loli fanservice in this series.

The side characters seem to have little to no actual real-life logic behind them, and unfortunately, Ryou pushes the self-insert protagonist thing a little too much that it's painful to watch. That is, the only reason why he wants Ai to stay is because he is the self-insert protagonist and it kinda feels hollow.

The only one I like here is Ai, but even she is failing to impress me.

I prefer Kitsuna Ai :P

3/5
Jan 23, 2018 6:35 AM
Feb 2013
Many people don't like Ai's mom and I understand that but at least I'm giving her a credit for let's Ai has another chance at Shogi. She can forcefully take Ai back with her without listening to anyone but she didn't, during the match you can also saw she secretly rooting for Ai too. In the end Ai and Yaichi's determination that convinced her(well maybe Yaichi's salary too. LOL.).

I also have another question about handicap, who is the one who decided which pieces should be removed? The match against 7 dan professional he didn't have Rook and Bishop but the match against Ginko she didn't have Lance and Rook.
Jan 23, 2018 6:50 AM

Jan 2018
Draconix814 said:
I feel like whenever this anime does something smart and engaging, it counters itself by doing something downright stupid. So this mother is already marrying Ai off when she's 9 years old, to a 16-year-old, who she's supposed to have a strict master-disciple relationship with? Um, there's a thing called pedophilia...

I think you misunderstanding this a little(well, many people did) Yaichi dodn't have to marry Ai right now while she still 9 years old. She don't even his fiancee. The condition is he have to marry Ai only if he failed to made her achieved the title when she graduated from middle school, Ai will be around 15 or 16 years old at that point, Japanese women need to be at least 16 years old to be able to marry(with parents consent of course) so they don't do anything illegal here.

About 7 years age gap I don't think it weird though, maybe it because marriage couples around me have a similar age gap, my parents also have 7 years difference too. Some couples I know even have 20 years gap o_O. What I want to say is something like this can happen in both anime and real life.
AshenKnightJan 23, 2018 6:58 AM
Jan 23, 2018 7:20 AM

Sep 2015
AshenKnight said:
Draconix814 said:

I think you misunderstanding this a little(well, many people did) Yaichi dodn't have to marry Ai right now while she still 9 years old. She don't even his fiancee. The condition is he have to marry Ai only if he failed to made her achieved the title when she graduated from middle school, Ai will be around 15 or 16 years old at that point, Japanese women need to be at least 16 years old to be able to marry(with parents consent of course) so they don't do anything illegal here.

About 7 years age gap I don't think it weird though, maybe it because marriage couples around me have a similar age gap, my parents also have 7 years difference too. Some couples I know even have 20 years gap o_O. What I want to say is something like this can happen in both anime and real life.

I understand your point, but that is still unreasonable. First of all, that should weigh on the Ryou's head until that does happen, and the fact that she's 9 years old now should kinda disgust him. I'd like to think he doesn't think of her romantically, but as I said before, this series doesn't know how to do loli fanservice. But what's even worse is that this whole conversation should have and wouldn't have taken place in an open space like it did in the anime. Everyone is watching it and is okay with it, even the Father thinks the condition is okay, even though he was supposed to be the voice of reason between the two parents. This should have happened behind closed doors and whatever the conclusion was, Ai and everyone else shouldn't have heard their decision (especially if it was that Ryou was going to marry Ai). Like I said, the writer is half-assing these plot points out of pure convenience and it's getting me annoyed.

silentway said:
Many people don't like Ai's mom and I understand that but at least I'm giving her a credit for let's Ai has another chance at Shogi. She can forcefully take Ai back with her without listening to anyone but she didn't, during the match you can also saw she secretly rooting for Ai too. In the end Ai and Yaichi's determination that convinced her(well maybe Yaichi's salary too. LOL.).

I also have another question about handicap, who is the one who decided which pieces should be removed? The match against 7 dan professional he didn't have Rook and Bishop but the match against Ginko she didn't have Lance and Rook.

Actually, what she did totally went against her character, so I care even less about her now that she didn't take Ai away like they agreed.

I have no idea about the shogi handicap regulations, but I'll take a wild guess and say that the person who needs to be handicapped gets to choose which pieces they're not allowed to have (I'm assuming they can't take pawns out). This probably would have been a good thing to have exposition on, instead of wasting time with the air purifier or a bunch of other things they could have cut out.
Jan 23, 2018 7:20 AM

Oct 2017
Finally back to some real shogi (I did like lolis tho, but it needs still needs some interesting shogi), so far so good it does follow the novel route well but I think they kind of fail to create those intense moments between Ginko and Ai match. It is a tough match even for Ginko since Ai has better potential and talent than Ginko but loses in terms of experience and knowledge.

I am not sure Charlotte and other lolis count as romance affection/harem since they are just minor characters don't have much character development
KonnoYuukiSenpaiJan 23, 2018 2:28 PM

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Jan 23, 2018 7:32 AM

Oct 2008
Wow! A Great Episode!!!
The trials of Ai has begun! She won the 1st two fights both handicapped but the 3rd fight was a but too much for her! She even hyperventilated! Even thou she lost (i pity crying Ai was too much for me) Her fight with Ginko was a great one and even Ginko was challenged as well!
okay we have already an arranged loli waifu and sure marriage in the future! LOLZ!...that is if Ai can't become a female title holder...
We had a lot of information with regards to the hierarchy ranking system in the of world of Shogi!
at the last part before the ED rolls: "Please... give me Ai-san!" lolz! sounding like a pedobear!
5/5.

Jan 23, 2018 8:03 AM

Jan 2018
Draconix814 said:

I understand your point, but that is still unreasonable. First of all, that should weigh on the Ryou's head until that does happen, and the fact that she's 9 years old now should kinda disgust him. I'd like to think he doesn't think of her romantically, but as I said before, this series doesn't know how to do loli fanservice. But what's even worse is that this whole conversation should have and wouldn't have taken place in an open space like it did in the anime. Everyone is watching it and is okay with it, even the Father thinks the condition is okay, even though he was supposed to be the voice of reason between the two parents. This should have happened behind closed doors and whatever the conclusion was, Ai and everyone else shouldn't have heard their decision (especially if it was that Ryou was going to marry Ai). Like I said, the writer is half-assing these plot points out of pure convenience and it's getting me annoyed.

Difference country have difference culture so I don't judged those people how they should've feel at that situation(certain dude from Gundam series also have 9 years old girl as fiancee too, not sure what people think about him LOL.). This is marriage for political/financial and Ai's mom want to secure Ai's future and her business as soon as possible, that also reason why she ask about Yaichi salary and siblings(I think she want to make sure if Yaichi have brothers to inherit Kuzuryuu name instead of him), I don't want to judged what she did is right or wrong but kinda understand why she did that.

In my opinion this scene also show us that Yaichi willing to bet his own future with Ai's Shogi, if he can't fulfilled the condition he have to work at the inn too, imagine how hard it would be for his life if he has to do both Shogi and inn business.

You and me feel completely difference about that scene. I'm completely fine while you don't. Maybe you are taking it too seriously, maybe I'm taking it too lightly or maybe both but this how who we human are, we have difference opinion, it really fun to exchanging our opinion with each other.
AshenKnightJan 23, 2018 8:11 AM
Jan 23, 2018 8:22 AM

Oct 2017
Draconix814 said:
AshenKnight said:

silentway said:

Actually, what she did totally went against her character, so I care even less about her now that she didn't take Ai away like they agreed.

I have no idea about the shogi handicap regulations, but I'll take a wild guess and say that the person who needs to be handicapped gets to choose which pieces they're not allowed to have (I'm assuming they can't take pawns out). This probably would have been a good thing to have exposition on, instead of wasting time with the air purifier or a bunch of other things they could have cut out.

So let me explain a bit for the situation
Rook–Lance 飛香落ち hi-kyō-ochi rook, left lance
2-Piece 二枚落ち nimai-ochi rook, bishop

So they are giving handicap to Ai since they have a huge difference in rank
Difference of 5 ranks: Rook–Lance
Difference of 6 or 7 ranks: 2-Piece (Ginko is lower rank than the teacher?but Ginko didn't give any mercy to Ai when she got serious mode)
Ginko is giving handicap to Ai reference to a D rank player

When in the novel it stated Ginko said to Yaichi when Yaichi ask her why she being so so strict and cruel to Ai (in Shogi) that she is scared to Ai who is a 9 yr old girl since her talent is over hers, she didn't directly face/head on but in an indirect way to win, she stated that next time she will win with fewer steps indicate that she has approved Ai's talents on shogi and Ai have talents to challenge her/ face her in finals in the future
KonnoYuukiSenpaiJan 23, 2018 3:47 PM

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

Jan 23, 2018 9:02 AM
Feb 2013
KonnoYuukiSenpai said:

So let me explain a bit for the situation
Rook–Lance 飛香落ち hi-kyō-ochi rook, left lance
2-Piece 二枚落ち nimai-ochi rook, bishop

So they are giving handicap to Ai since they have a huge difference in rank
Difference of 5 ranks: Rook–Lance
Difference of 6 or 7 ranks: 2-Piece (Ginko is lower rank than the teacher?but Ginko didn't give any mercy to Ai when she got serious mode)
Ginko is giving handicap to Ai reference to a D rank player

When in the novel it stated Ginko said to Yachi when Yachi ask her why she being so so strict and cruel to Ai (in Shogi) that she is scared to Ai who is a 9 yr old girl since her talent is over hers, she didn't directly face on but in an indirect way to win, she stated that next time she will win with fewer steps indicate that she has approved Ai's talents on shogi

Thank a lot for the explanation, so that how it work too the anime don't included the conversation between Yaichi and Ginko after the match over.

Draconix814 said:

Actually I don't think it out of character for the mother rooting for her own daughter though.

I got a vibe that Ai's mom is just putting up a strong front because of her standing in her family, the scene at resturant at EP.2 gave me this vibe.

The scene where Ai went under the table and argue with her mom, when Ai's mom said "mou Ai" her voice slightly change from her usual strict tone and it sound like the mother who have no idea how to deal with her child(this might hard to listen because her voice sound in the background while Yaichi talking to Ai's dad).

I also thought Ai's mom might be strict on Ai but not too strict, look at Ai's personality and how she interact with her mom, she don't show any sigh to fear of her own mother, she even call her mom "idjit", I believe Ai's mom have some soft spot for Ai but she have to put the strong front.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much but that what I thought sorry to made you read all of this.
Jan 23, 2018 10:10 AM

Sep 2015
silentway said:

Draconix814 said:

Actually I don't think it out of character for the mother rooting for her own daughter though.

I got a vibe that Ai's mom is just putting up a strong front because of her standing in her family, the scene at resturant at EP.2 gave me this vibe.

The scene where Ai went under the table and argue with her mom, when Ai's mom said "mou Ai" her voice slightly change from her usual strict tone and it sound like the mother who have no idea how to deal with her child(this might hard to listen because her voice sound in the background while Yaichi talking to Ai's dad).

I also thought Ai's mom might be strict on Ai but not too strict, look at Ai's personality and how she interact with her mom, she don't show any sigh to fear of her own mother, she even call her mom "idjit", I believe Ai's mom have some soft spot for Ai but she have to put the strong front.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much but that what I thought sorry to made you read all of this.

Maybe in the light novel, it comes off as more humble, and the animators simply forgot to give her something other than a stern expression. Not to mention how her voice makes it sound like a cranky old person stuck in their ways. That said, from what I've seen, I don't think she's "putting up a strong front", or even if that was the author's/ studio's intent, they certainly didn't sell it correctly. If she was putting up a strong front, that would imply she has a weak side, something that should have came out when Ai begged, and then she would have forgiven her without the added bonus of marriage.

Ai is just stubborn and a go-getter (for lack of a better phrase), so it makes sense that Ai wouldn't have a fear of her mother. If her mother ever showed her soft side to her, I doubt she would call her an idjit. That said, there is the possibility that Ai is calling her an idiot because they are very close and mommy won't understand, in that case, why doesn't Ai ever say that? She never gives the impression that she ever had a close relationship with her Mother, which is why she was so eager to leave home and start shogi regardless of her parent's will to begin with.

My point is, this plot point is half-assed. Hopefully, this series can recover but I doubt it.
Jan 23, 2018 11:24 AM
Mar 2016
Man it's just Shogi why all the drama??????

man, Ai's mom is one tough lady who know how to be in control, If I were her I would have given Ryou a flying kick in his face and give Ai some spanking.

Poor Sora she'll never see Ryou again.
Jan 23, 2018 3:31 PM

Oct 2017
So just want to provide some additional information Kuruno Yoshitsune 7th dan is a professional B1 player and "Ryuuou" Yaichi Yuzuryu is actually professional C2 3 tiers lower than Kuruno in terms of the league. In terms of Normally serious matches, Kuruno needs handicap four-piece to be fair ( 四枚落ちyonmai-ochi rook, bishop, both lances. explanation in the novel) but in case Kuruno is just testing Ai skills and talents so it wasn't as a serious match as Ginko's.

I also wanna explain why Ai's mother is so strict on Ai because Ai's mom hate Shogi so she doesn't want to let her daughter play it as her father(Ai's grandfather) addicted to shogi so much he abandon his family business

About Ginko Sora, she is still not a professional league player but a promotional league 2-dan player mention in the anime. she aims to be a professional but not Joryu Kishi. She got the 2 title of Joryu Kishi is because the requirements for the Mynavi girls open competition don't need to be Joryu Kishi to participate and she gains Joryu Kishi 2 -kyu from it when she was 11. "The Snow White of Naniwa" is not because her skin nor hair colour (although her skin is so white), it is because her undefeated in matches, 47 out of 47wins, without loss stained on her match history gains her the title(also mentions in the anime)

Training club can't match with the promotional league and Ai is amateur 3rd dan= F1 in training club. Kiyotaki Keika is C2 only one step from Joryu Kishi (but she is 25 already so if she doesn't get C1 this year she will basically be amateur for the entire life.

I really recommend the novel. It's a good novel to read and it kind of fill up all the information that you don't understand in the anime and shogi

From Wikipedia, female amateur players age 25 or under who wish to become a female professional must be accepted into the JSA's Kenshūkai (研修会 "training group"). Female amateurs who are promoted to Class C1 are granted the rank of provisional female professional 3-kyu. Those achieving the provisional rank of 3-kyu have two years to gain promotion to the rank of 2-kyu and thus obtain regular female professional status.
KonnoYuukiSenpaiJan 23, 2018 3:54 PM

Jan 23, 2018 3:49 PM
Mar 2015
Sora gave Ryu the evil eye after seeing the fan he gave Ai He reaped what he sowed with the engagement
Jan 23, 2018 4:57 PM
Jan 2018
Whoahoho said:

man, Ai's mom is one tough lady who know how to be in control, If I were her I would have given Ryou a flying kick in his face and give Ai some spanking.

Poor Sora she'll never see Ryou again.

It's like you said , she could did all of that but she didn't, Ai also happy about that condition so it win win here. I think she is strict mom but not enough to the point that made Ai afraid of her and did whatever her mom said.

I'm worry about our poor Ryuuou too, his life is in danger right now, I don't know how Ginko will react when she learn about Yaichi's situation. He is in the middle of war zone between Ai and Ginko LOL.
Jan 23, 2018 8:55 PM

May 2015
Damn, his request (MC) & the condition (from Mother) to take the girl as his disciple and if she fails he needs to take responsibility was technically a marriage interview.
Jan 23, 2018 10:15 PM

Jun 2016
So, Ai-chan's mother wants Kuzuryuu to marry Ai when he didn't achieve whatever he promised them? I'm lost. "Marrying into the family", what does that mean? Hahaha. If that's what it means, then it kinda bothers me because Ai is a 4th grade student? Don't fuck up, show, I'll fucking drop you!

So proud of Ai-chan, though. Her 'Here, here, here' movements bothers me since I know there'll be guys who will make it lewd. Haha. My poor Ai-chan. Glad she can continue playing shogi and will be under Kuzuryuu's care.

4/5.

Glassgrenado said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:
So if she's not a pro by middle school graduation (14-15 years old) then he (21-22 years old) has to marry her. I'm 21, so when I see the comments saying this is a "win-win" for him and I think of having to marry a 14 year old, I simultaneously wanna gouge my eyes out and chop my dick off at the thought of it.

To be fair she said that he must marry into the family, not marry Ai specifically. He may have to marry a relative instead of jail-waiting.

Also, while breaking verbal agreements are looked down upon, they are not legally binding. :p

Jeez. Whoa, thanks for that. That kinda gave me will to not drop this show because imagine Kuzuryuu marrying Ai? Lawd. Not me, show. Hahaha.
TheDoggoneGirlJan 23, 2018 10:18 PM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 23, 2018 10:21 PM

Apr 2016
TheDoggoneGirl said:
So, Ai-chan's mother wants Kuzuryuu to marry Ai when he didn't achieve whatever he promised them? I'm lost. "Marrying into the family", what does that mean? Hahaha. If that's what it means, then it kinda bothers me because Ai is a 4th grade student? Don't fuck up, show, I'll fucking drop you!

I bet you wanted Kuzuryuu to marry Kannabe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 23, 2018 11:55 PM
Feb 2013
According to Japan law, Ai can't marry until she's 16 years old.
Jan 24, 2018 3:15 AM

Jun 2016
Swagernator said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:

I bet you wanted Kuzuryuu to marry Kannabe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Actually, I don't, but hey why not?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 24, 2018 5:52 AM
Dec 2017
3 episodes in, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. I see a lot of potential as it continues on. Yaichi is a great character, overall. Ai is utterly adorable. And I like characters like Sora, because I always find them to be the ones with the most potential for growth (assuming it's done right).

Looking forward to more. I'm just glad you don't have to actually understand shogi to follow the series, or I would be totally lost. XD
Jan 24, 2018 5:58 AM
Dec 2017
Whoahoho said:

Have you never been utterly passionate about a game or sport? Given that we're talking about a game that people literally devote their lives to mastering, I would be surprised if there WASN'T drama.

Whoahoho said:

And you would have lost face in the process. Akina strikes me very much as the type who would never let that happen.
Jan 24, 2018 6:16 AM

Apr 2012
I don't even know how to play shogi yet I was on the edge of my seat there. Good episode!
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jan 24, 2018 11:41 AM

Oct 2010
What a strong/powerful episode. Literally risking his life because he believes in her. On the other hand, failing still provides him with a solid future and no doubt a gorgeous and loving wife down the road.
Jan 24, 2018 6:25 PM
Sep 2010
I didn't realize until reading this tweet in Japanese that the same traffic signal and railway crossing appeared both in Ep.1 and Ep.3. Turning red and crossing alert is ringing in the former while green signal and crossing alert is not ringing(meaning you can go forward) in the latter. I don't think it's written in the canon. I guess it's one of the original works of anime staff and a good addition to harmonize the situations of main protagonists.
https://twitter.com/Sangyoh_sus/status/956079008449310720

And this tweet posts the photos of the crossing which seems to be the model of the scenes.
https://twitter.com/KITAUJI_kyoani/status/950425891816947712
takodoriJan 24, 2018 6:32 PM
Jan 24, 2018 11:48 PM

Nov 2014
It's not really a Pedhopilia or something though.
the fact that everyone who was there seems fine about Yaichi proposes Ai.
they did that in "terms" of Shogi,

but.. Come on guys, we're just jealous about this kind of cliche, right? ;)

Yaichi is "perfect" guy.. He's still young and the strongest shogi player in the world.
and now has a Daughter from rich family as his future wife.

Even if Yaichi fulfiled his duty as Ai's mentor until she has a title before graduated from Junior High School, or become a Queen, he is still going to marry her.. I am sure about that.

Everything is settled now. but I just want to know how Ginko's reaction when she know about all of this.
Jan 25, 2018 1:28 AM

Apr 2011
Ai vs Ginko match was intense. I feel bad for Ai losing, she is just snow match for her.

I can't say its a harem, until it really becomes one. Interesting to see Ginko gave Ryuuou a scary look when she saw the charm because its a sign that she's jealous. Marrying into the family, doesn't seem to really mean marrying Ai-chan, but she bounced back to normal after hearing it. Her mom is too serious and scary. It puts me off.

I don't know about Shogi, I'm enjoying this one.
Jan 25, 2018 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
The weeaboo is strong in this thread. A lot of these people seem to be completely ignorant of traditional Japanese culture, that or all their knowledge goes out the door because "ewwww lolis". Seriously, I hate you people. *facepalm* It also seems like everyone here is incapable of doing even basic research.

He wouldn't have been asked to marry into their family if he wasn't already making a lot of money. The Ryūō match alone won him ¥32,000,000 ($320,000). Even the loser of that match gets ¥8,000,000 ($80,000). And that's just the prize money, they get compensation as well (in equally impressive amounts). This guy does this professionally, year round. In other words, he is making bank and will probably be a Yen billionaire/USD millionaire in a few years. THAT'S why the mother was asking him to marry into the family. And yes, arranged marriages like this in Japan can and do happen. Unlike Westerners, the Japanese don't scream pedophile about every single little thing.

Also, even the people who like this show seem to be missing some of the major points it is making.

1. It is presenting Japanese cultural traditions. It is presenting them as normal but not necessarily positively. We'll see by the end of the show whether they are intending to show these traditions in a negative light. Which leads to:

2. Shogi professionals are all males. The show has consistently referred to females separately as female professionals. That's why the mother didn't want the daughter to become a female professional shogi player (because she wouldn't be able to make nearly as much money). But this show is CLEARLY showing females trying to become professionals in the full sense (yes, female shogi professionals are not considered full shogi professionals in Japan). Real females have tried this and failed so far in real life. This show might very well be challenging sexism in shogi, and most of you seem to be completely missing that because there happen to be lolis.

Stop being weeaboos. Learn about Japanese culture.

This is a very good show and it will be one of the greats if it is seeking to overturn cultural norms.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Jan 25, 2018 3:48 PM

Sep 2017
Having to marry into into family if Ai doesn't earn a title, even if she becomes pro, was tad too extreme/stupid for me, but I doubt it's gonna ever gonna be a plot point (unless we get like 6 seasons of this lul). Other than that, the episode was pretty good. Even tho I don't fully understand Shogi, the games are pretty fun to watch.
Jan 26, 2018 3:02 AM

Mar 2017
This is episode 3, so i guess a lot are going to decide whether to drop it or not.

What's with that rule? Why can't you drop whenever you want and stop depending on a number?
Jan 26, 2018 1:52 PM

Dec 2010
ProofByColor said:
Even tho I don't fully understand Shogi, the games are pretty fun to watch.

This is the amazing part of the show, you don't need to know the rules, they do not show much the table too, you understand what's going on thanks to the facial expression of characters, what they think, how they behave and the explanation of other viewers from the distance.
Jan 26, 2018 3:41 PM

Dec 2009
Hraktuus said:
The weeaboo is strong in this thread. A lot of these people seem to be completely ignorant of traditional Japanese culture, that or all their knowledge goes out the door because "ewwww lolis". Seriously, I hate you people. *facepalm* It also seems like everyone here is incapable of doing even basic research.

He wouldn't have been asked to marry into their family if he wasn't already making a lot of money. The Ryūō match alone won him ¥32,000,000 ($320,000). Even the loser of that match gets ¥8,000,000 ($80,000). And that's just the prize money, they get compensation as well (in equally impressive amounts). This guy does this professionally, year round. In other words, he is making bank and will probably be a Yen billionaire/USD millionaire in a few years. THAT'S why the mother was asking him to marry into the family. And yes, arranged marriages like this in Japan can and do happen. Unlike Westerners, the Japanese don't scream pedophile about every single little thing.

Also, even the people who like this show seem to be missing some of the major points it is making.

1. It is presenting Japanese cultural traditions. It is presenting them as normal but not necessarily positively. We'll see by the end of the show whether they are intending to show these traditions in a negative light. Which leads to:

2. Shogi professionals are all males. The show has consistently referred to females separately as female professionals. That's why the mother didn't want the daughter to become a female professional shogi player (because she wouldn't be able to make nearly as much money). But this show is CLEARLY showing females trying to become professionals in the full sense (yes, female shogi professionals are not considered full shogi professionals in Japan). Real females have tried this and failed so far in real life. This show might very well be challenging sexism in shogi, and most of you seem to be completely missing that because there happen to be lolis.

This is a very good show and it will be one of the greats if it is seeking to overturn cultural norms.

I love you for this post. Holy crap speak more truth.
Jan 26, 2018 5:26 PM

Jul 2013
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Hraktuus said:

My exchange rates are off. ¥32,000,000 is currently $294,754.29. Still, this makes me wish I had been born Japanese. Seriously, I'm in the wrong profession.

I'm looking at equivalents in chess. The world championship match can be over $2 million for the winner, but that's not a fair comparison. It looks like the prize for winning the US Chess Championship was $194,000 (there's more than one championship, like the US Open, US Women's Open, etc). The real question is how much you could make through other matches (not everyone can be the champion). I also wonder how many people play chess professionally in the US and other countries as compared to shogi professionals in Japan.

Also, I started watching this series because my girlfriend saw the scene where Charlotte d'Izoard introduces herself and wanted to know what anime it was because that character might be one of the cutest ever created. She loves lolis. I do too. Again, people's hatred of anything lolicon has to do with ignorance and a lack of research on their part. The vast majority of people who read lolicon manga don't commit crimes and aren't pedophiles (they are only interested in 2D lolis, which don't exist IRL). Otaku see it as essentially an easy way to rebel against a culture that rejects them. And yes, I can get sources on this. That's a big part of why these loli hating weeaboos will never come close to being true otaku.

I also think it's odd that these same people will show disgust at lolis, but won't say a thing about middle school girls and high school girls being portrayed sexually as long as they have big breasts. If anything, hatred of lolis is sexist. It has more to do with what they think women should look like rather than an objection to sexualizing minors. There are women in Japan in their 20s who can be mistaken for children. That doesn't make them less adult, and people who find them attractive aren't somehow pedophiles. I've seen people say the latter before, and it is honestly extremely sexist and insulting to women with small breasts.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Jan 26, 2018 5:53 PM
Sep 2010
It may be strange if I say this show resembles Shokugeki no Souma. However, the elimination system of shogi training group and promotional league and that of Totsuki cooking school are very much alike. Actually when I first saw Shokugeki, I had a feeling it's like a shogi world. There exists no cooking school having such an elimination system like Totsuki in Japan, it's a fantasy creation of the creators, however, the training group and the promotional league actually exist in the shogi world. That's the difference between the two shows.
Jan 26, 2018 7:09 PM

Dec 2009
Hraktuus said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

My exchange rates are off. ¥32,000,000 is currently $294,754.29. Still, this makes me wish I had been born Japanese. Seriously, I'm in the wrong profession.

I'm looking at equivalents in chess. The world championship match can be over $2 million for the winner, but that's not a fair comparison. It looks like the prize for winning the US Chess Championship was $194,000 (there's more than one championship, like the US Open, US Women's Open, etc). The real question is how much you could make through other matches (not everyone can be the champion). I also wonder how many people play chess professionally in the US and other countries as compared to shogi professionals in Japan.

Also, I started watching this series because my girlfriend saw the scene where Charlotte d'Izoard introduces herself and wanted to know what anime it was because that character might be one of the cutest ever created. She loves lolis. I do too. Again, people's hatred of anything lolicon has to do with ignorance and a lack of research on their part. The vast majority of people who read lolicon manga don't commit crimes and aren't pedophiles (they are only interested in 2D lolis, which don't exist IRL). Otaku see it as essentially an easy way to rebel against a culture that rejects them. And yes, I can get sources on this. That's a big part of why these loli hating weeaboos will never come close to being true otaku.

I also think it's odd that these same people will show disgust at lolis, but won't say a thing about middle school girls and high school girls being portrayed sexually as long as they have big breasts. If anything, hatred of lolis is sexist. It has more to do with what they think women should look like rather than an objection to sexualizing minors. There are women in Japan in their 20s who can be mistaken for children. That doesn't make them less adult, and people who find them attractive aren't somehow pedophiles. I've seen people say the latter before, and it is honestly extremely sexist and insulting to women with small breasts.

I feel the exact same way and I'm definitely attracted to fictional loli characters
for the same reasons(real life people in general I find it hard to find attractive or connect with on the same level. Definitely not a pedophile because I don't find real kids attractive at all). It's really cool to see someone come into these threads though and actually defend these anime series that always get shit on so much for even daring to have a loli as one of the main characters. This series so far has been amazing for me, I read the plot outlines of future light novels and the series really does a great job focusing on the shogi aspect too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

113 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Oct 14, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

105 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 20, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

63 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 13, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2018

88 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 9, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2018

59 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 1, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.