Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 19, 2017 5:50 PM
Oct 2017
Mushishi looks extremely beautiful and is something that interests me. I was going to watch the anime but some say that it is boring. I have a short attention span, so I'm extremely worried that I'll waste my time if I watch it. If Mushishi is exciting, or at least not boring, then should I watch the anime or read the manga? THXXXXXXX no spoilerssss
TheFatOtakuOct 19, 2017 6:03 PM
Oct 19, 2017 5:57 PM

Mar 2015
anime is much less "boring" i would said since there is still moving image and voice but overall, yes, it is slow, another rpoblem is that it's episodic... the key is not forcing yourself and patience... i am finishing mushishi for months... i watch less than 4 episode each weak... it's works much better if you watch it as side watching than actually binge watching it... watch others anime, use mushishi for calming down maybe when you want to rest or before sleep....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 19, 2017 5:57 PM

Oct 2015
I understand why people would call it boring. But it is one of the most spine chilling with it's eerie atmosphere. Take it slowly. It's one of my favorites, but it took me 8-9 months to finish the first season lol, but I'm not stopping you if you want to binge it though. It's an episodic anime, no overreaching plot.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 19, 2017 5:59 PM
Feb 2017
It's not boring, but you won't enjoying too many episodes at once. To really enjoy it you should just watch like 1 episode a day.
You won't enjoy it if you're typical battle shounen fan.
Oct 19, 2017 6:01 PM

Aug 2015
its slow but i wouldnt call it boring. you have to be in the right mood to watch it i think.
Oct 19, 2017 6:03 PM

Mar 2015
DEAD_ID69 said:
It's not boring, but you won't enjoying too many episodes at once. To really enjoy it you should just watch like 1 episode a day.

hey, i am battle shounen fad, but mushishi also LIT AF...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 19, 2017 6:06 PM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:
DEAD_ID69 said:

Some are exception I guess lel, don't really see many people that likes shounen enjoy Mushishi.
Oct 19, 2017 6:08 PM

Oct 2012
Kuma said:
DEAD_ID69 said:

Ginko the only MC who is high 24/7 lol
Oct 19, 2017 6:13 PM

Aug 2017
i have a short attention span myself, but i honestly thought it was really good.

although i did fall asleep a few times while watching it
Oct 19, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2016
how about watch some episodes and see what you think about it?

Oct 19, 2017 6:23 PM

Mar 2015
jayss said:
Kuma said:

Ginko the only MC who is high 24/7 lol

smoke weed everyday m8...oh wait, it still illegal in my country, fuck...
Oct 20, 2017 5:30 AM

May 2015
It's slow and relies a lot on creating atmosphere and you immersing yourself in it. If you need zbang-zbing! action, Mushishi isn't for you. Give it a shot. Nothing else is quite like it, but don't worry if you don't like it. Although it has a really cool idea, it never does anything great with it - it's just good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 20, 2017 5:35 AM
Aug 2017
I haven't seen it but I would say it's deep, slow and thought-provoking. I wanted to watch it but I had no time.
Oct 20, 2017 5:37 AM
Mar 2015
It is slow and thought provoking. Personally it is the best thing I have watched however I cannot watch more than one episode at a time.

It is not a show you can marathon. If you decide to watch it, take it slow.
Oct 20, 2017 3:17 PM

Jun 2014
It can be. I personally find it boring to watch, although I see why people like it. It seems it's meant to be more of a relaxing anime than one you watch for entertainment. AFAIK, Crunchyroll only has season 2, and new seasons seem to dull in comparison to the original, which would probably explain why I cannot really get into it.
Oct 20, 2017 7:33 PM

May 2015
It's a show you watch to unwind, relax. It's slow and very atmospheric. It certainly needs a certain mindset and expectations going into it to not think it's "boring", because in itself it's really not. It has beautiful sceneries, interesting cases each episode and an enigmatic main character who you learn about more and more as long as you keep watching,
Oct 20, 2017 7:41 PM

May 2016
it's relaxing, if you watched some harem-ecchi anime and want to calm your little brother down, watch this and your head will be clear. the OP is great too
Oct 20, 2017 8:24 PM

Mar 2017
I've only read the manga. I thought it was boring and it didn't excite any emotions from me so I dropped it. But I'm biased because I don't like episodic plots except in comedy or slice of life.
Oct 20, 2017 9:05 PM

Apr 2016
Yes, it's extremely boring and repetiitive once you've seen the first episode you've seen the entire show. Every episode is just a "doctor" goes to town and helps a sick person.

Read this persons review completely accurate
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=209340

Now as a show Mushishi is terrible and extremely flawed when compared with Mars of Destruction and Pupa I will say Mushishi has more flaws. The author quite literally created her entire manga while putting zero thought into the actual concept. If Mushi did exist the world would not operate like it does in Mushishi.

Now when looking at the characters they lack motivation and personality and felt like walking robots. When looking at the protagonist he's terrible he seriously has zero personality and gets pretty much zero developement or backstory. Therefore a reader or watcher is unable to connect to or relate to him, he just exists.

For the anime I will say it gets much better in its second season as its not necessarily boring like the first with much more interesting stories the deviate from it formulaic approach.

When compared to the manga the manga is much better as the pacing is a lot faster. Compare reading a 3-4 min chapter to watching a 20min episode of the exact same thing.

For some comparison here are some other anime I have found really boring
- Aria
- Monogatari series
- Cowbow Bebop
- Kino no Tabi
- Haikyuu
- Oregairu
- Elfen Lied
- Ghost in the Shell
- Kara no Kyoukai
- Toradora

I don't believe anyone who says they actually like Mushishi and I beleive it gets it high rating from the sake of its high rating and reputation. To explain people see the high rating and feel obliged to rate it highly because they don't want to be a part of the minority or they hear about its reputation to be highly philosophical and rate it highly cause they want to be seen as smart. This is the exact reason why Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu has such a high score on this site, yes as a show it deserves its high score but seriously Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu has a very strict audience and people are purey giving it a 10/10 because they want to look smart and sophisticated with great taste in anime. For this reason as a show Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is highly overrated.
AkoramOct 21, 2017 9:41 PM

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Oct 20, 2017 9:07 PM

Apr 2017
Honestly.. Iyashikei types of genre are meant to be "Boring" btw

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 20, 2017 9:08 PM
Jan 2013
I can only say it's not the kind of show that you can ask someone else if it's boring
gone bai bai
Oct 20, 2017 9:09 PM

Dec 2012
Boring isn't the right word, really because that implies it isn't good which isn't true, but it is kinda mello and relaxing. The soundtrack is an excellent remedy for insomnia, however, I love it but it makes me sleepy.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 20, 2017 9:14 PM

Jun 2017
iscum said:
how about watch some episodes and see what you think about it?

This , I won't say anything else , just watch it .

Oct 21, 2017 2:34 AM

May 2015
RnDNEET021 said:

That sounds like a shitty artist making excuses. What does this mean?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 21, 2017 11:44 AM

Mar 2011
Thread has been moved to the correct series board
Oct 21, 2017 12:09 PM
Jul 2014
Ignoring Akoram's terrible post, because my god what the hell did I just read....
Though I will at least mention that the review he linked seems to be a troll, that person gave Mushishi an 8/10 not a 1. Mods should probably remove that review.

As to your question OP, if you have a short attention span then I suggest just watching the show slowly. It's what I did when I watched Mushishi. It's really not a show you should binge anyway. You really need to be in the right mood for it. It's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had watching a show which is one big reason why it's in my favorites. Definitely give it a shot, the anime is a fantastic adaptation. Also keep in mind that it has 2 OVA's and ends with a film(albeit a short one). You're on MAL though so it's not hard to look up the order in which everything came out.
Oct 21, 2017 12:46 PM
Oct 2017
Akoram said:

Now when looking at the characters they lack motivation and personality and felt like walking robots. When looking at the protagonist he's terrible he seriously has zero personality and gets pretty much zero developement or backstory. Therefore a reader or watcher is unable to connect to or relate to him, he just exists.

For the anime I will say it gets much better in its second season as its not necessarily boring like the first with much more interesting stories the deviate from it formulaic approach.

When compared to the manga the manga is much better as the pacing is a lot faster. Compare reading a 3-4 min chapter to watching a 20min episode of the exact same thing.

- Aria
- Monogatari series
- Cowbow Bebop
- Kino no Tabi
- Haikyuu
- Oregairu
- Elfen Lied
- Ghost in the Shell
- Kara no Kyoukai
- Toradora

I don't believe anyone who says they actually like Mushishi and I beleive it gets it high rating from the sake of its high rating and reputation. To explain people see the high rating and feel obliged to rate it highly because they don't want to be a part of the minority or they hear about its reputation to be highly philosophical and rate it highly cause they want to be seen as smart. This is the exact reason why Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu has such a high score on this site, yes as a show it deserves its high score but seriously Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu has a very strict audience and people are purey giving it a 10/10 because they want to look smart and sophisticated with great taste in anime. For this reason as a show Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is highly overrated.

on ur profile it says ginga eiyuu denstsu is one of ur favorites
Oct 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Jun 2017
TheFatOtaku said:
Mushishi looks extremely beautiful and is something that interests me. I was going to watch the anime but some say that it is boring. I have a short attention span, so I'm extremely worried that I'll waste my time if I watch it. If Mushishi is exciting, or at least not boring, then should I watch the anime or read the manga? THXXXXXXX no spoilerssss

I wouldn't say that it is boring, I would say that you have to be in the mood for it, sit down and relax and enjoy. I just watched my first episode and loved it.
p00p
Oct 24, 2017 5:02 AM

May 2010
RnDNEET021 said:

This sounds extremely ignorant.
Akoram said:
Yes, it's extremely boring and repetiitive once you've seen the first episode you've seen the entire show. Every episode is just a "doctor" goes to town and helps a sick person.

Read this persons review completely accurate
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=209340

Now as a show Mushishi is terrible and extremely flawed when compared with Mars of Destruction and Pupa I will say Mushishi has more flaws. The author quite literally created her entire manga while putting zero thought into the actual concept. If Mushi did exist the world would not operate like it does in Mushishi.

- Aria
- Monogatari series
- Cowbow Bebop
- Kino no Tabi
- Haikyuu
- Oregairu
- Elfen Lied
- Ghost in the Shell
- Kara no Kyoukai
- Toradora

It's... not. Every episode has a life lesson to teach. I have no idea how you managed to write something so ignorant. I don't even know where to begin. I just hope you are a troll... I guess.
TragicRomanceOct 24, 2017 5:08 AM
Oct 24, 2017 7:10 AM

Apr 2016
TragicRomance said:
It's... not. Every episode has a life lesson to teach. I have no idea how you managed to write something so ignorant. I don't even know where to begin. I just hope you are a troll... I guess.

Unfortunately I'm not a troll I generally hate Mushishi with a passion.

To tell you of my experience with Mushishi, as of now it is listed as my number one most disappointing show of all time. I was extremely hyped up about watching Mushishi when I first heard about it, like seriouslyI don't think I've ever been so hyped about a show in my entire life, after reading somethings about it I thought it would be immensely interesting, the very concept of supernatural creature call Mushi seemed like a really interesting idea. I was certain this would rank in my top 3 shows with a 10/10. So, by the time I got around to watching it I was practically jumping on seat with anticipation, as i though it was about to set my eyes on something, methodical, philosophical, logical, mesmerising, something that would blow me away, baffle me with this unique atmosphere. But after watching episode one I practically died inside, I just couldn't believe it, I was in complete denial, but I just passed it off as a bad first episode that would get better. So I watched episode 2 and no nothing different, at this point I was secluded into extreme disappointment at how shallow the series was. Just image if you hyped yourself up so much for a show and then when you got around to watching it finding out its terrible. Just imagine that utter disappointment, it felt like my heart was ripped from my body and this is how my journey of Mushishi started.

Onward, from there the entire show fell into a repetitive loop of the same thing each episode with a few changes and as I began looking more into Mushishi I realised how dull and robotic the characters felt like and how conceptual wrong the show was. I became flooded with questions asking those hows, whys and whats. How does Ginko know so much about Mushishi? Who is Ginko and where does he come from? Why did Ginko even become a Mushishi? Why doesn't Ginko announce himself as an elite doctor that can help with supernatural irregularities? Why are Mushishi attracted to Ginko? Why are the character so retarded that when they seen a Mushi they go to touch it instead of thinking that touching a strange creature could be dangerous I shouldn't do this? Why isn't their a school or book about Mushi? Why isn't Ginko trying to spread the word about the existence of Mushi? Why don't people know that much about Mushi? Shouldn't their be folklore about Mushi? And seriously what even are Mushi in the first place? Why do they exist? why do they do the things they do? Why are they attracted to life? The anime provided no answers to these questions and this really annoyed me.

Now, if we look at Mushishi for what it is, all I see is the author writing/drawing an episodic manga series with a formulaic approach to each chapter, without any use of character or story. This takes zero skill to do, compare this to a series like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Count of Monte Cristo or Monster, series where the authors put loads of time into their writing to bring them alive. Therefore, as a series I have zero appreciation for Mushishi as quite literally it took no skill to create.

Okay right now let me think of a manga series that uses the "Mushishi" approach - how about a cartographer/traveller/author who whats to map the world and write a book about the differences in each part of the world. This world can consist of thousands of islands, and each island can be unique. Okay now lets add something mystical, maybe fantasy creature like serpents, fairies, dragons, etc. So the basic story the protagonist arrived at a island and he met's the people and learns their culture, and ways of life. But they have this one problem that is caused by their island specific fantasy creature, so the protagonist uses his wit and knowledge from his travels to help the people. Now all I need to do is think up 50 different chapters and I have a full series. And since my manga is about culture I can rack this the philosophical points by symbolising cultural meanings. See to write something like Mushishi takes no skill I just thought of something on the spot that took me 3min to think up and write.

Overall for me the entire experience of Mushishi felt empty and senseless like nothing was there. If I were to describe Mushishi it would be - a boring repetitive manga with no story, encased with major inconsistencies, zero character and senseless events.

I hope this gave you some insight into why I hate Mushishi. However, recently I watched eps 2 and 3 of Zoku Shou 2nd Season and to tell you they were actually fairly interesting and their seems to be bit more there. Overall, Zoku Shou is a great improvement over the first season of Mushishi.
AkoramDec 15, 2017 9:05 PM

π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Oct 24, 2017 7:48 AM

Oct 2015
If you don't like Mushishi, Cowboy Bebop, Aria or Kino no Tabi then you should probably just stop watching episodic anime altogether because they obviously aren't your thing.

No, Mushishi Is not boring.
Oct 28, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 2015
Akoram said:
TragicRomance said:

Unfortunately I'm not a troll I generally hate Mushishi with a passion.

To tell you of my experience with Mushishi, as of now it is listed as my number one most disappointing show of all time. I was extremely hyped up about watching Mushishi when I first heard about it, like seriouslyI don't think I've ever been so hyped about a show in my entire life, after reading somethings about it I thought it would be immensely interesting, the very concept of supernatural creature call Mushi seemed like a really interesting idea. I was certain this would rank in my top 3 shows with a 10/10. So, by the time I got around to watching it I was practically jumping on seat with anticipation, as i though it was about to set my eyes on something, methodical, philosophical, logical, mesmerising, something that would blow me away, baffle me with this unique atmosphere. But after watching episode one I practically died inside, I just couldn't believe it, I was in complete denial, but I just passed it off as a bad first episode that would get better. So I watched episode 2 and no nothing different, at this point I was secluded into extreme disappointment at how shallow the series was. Just image if you hyped yourself up so much for a show and then when you got around to watching it finding out its terrible. Just imagine that utter disappointment, it felt like my heart was ripped from my body and this is how my journey of Mushishi started.

Onward, from there the entire show fell into a repetitive loop of the same thing each episode with a few changes and as I began looking more into Mushishi I realised how dull and robotic the characters felt like and how conceptual wrong the show was. I became flooded with questions asking those hows, whys and whats. How does Ginko know so much about Mushishi? Who is Ginko and where does he come from? Why did Ginko even become a Mushishi? Why doesn't Ginko announce himself as an elite doctor that can help with supernatural irregularities? Why are Mushishi attracted to Ginko? Why are the character so retarded that when they seen a Mushi they go to touch it instead of thinking that touching a strange creature could be dangerous I shouldn't do this? Why isn't their a school or book about Mushi? Why isn't Ginko trying to spread the word about the existence of Mushi? Why don't people know that much about Mushi? Shouldn't their be folklore about Mushi? And seriously what even are Mushi in the first place? Why do they exist? why do they do the things they do? Why are they attracted to life? The anime provided no answers to these questions and this really annoyed me.

Now, if we look at Mushishi for what it is, all I see is the author writing/drawing an episodic manga series with a formulaic approach to each chapter, without any use of character or story. This takes zero skill to do, compare this to a series like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Count of Monte Cristo or Monster, series where the authors put loads of time into their writing to bring them alive. Therefore, as a series I have zero appreciation for Mushishi as quite literally it toke no skill to create.

Okay right now let me think of a manga series that uses the "Mushishi" approach - how about a cartographer/traveller/author who whats to map the world and write a book about the differences in each part of the world. This world can consist of thousands of islands, and each island can be unique. Okay now lets add something mystical, maybe fantasy creature like serpents, fairies, dragons, etc. So the basic story the protagonist arrived at a island and he met's the people and learns their culture, and ways of life. But they have this one problem that is caused by their island specific fantasy creature, so the protagonist uses his wit and knowledge from his travels to help the people. Now all I need to do is think up 50 different chapters and I have a full series. And since my manga is about culture I can rack this the philosophical points by symbolising cultural meanings. See to write something like Mushishi takes no skill I just thought of something on the spot that took me 3min to think up and write.

Overall for me the entire experience of Mushishi felt empty and senseless like nothing was there. If I were to describe Mushishi it would be - a boring repetitive manga with no story, encased with major inconsistencies, zero character and senseless events.

I hope this gave you some insight into why I hate Mushishi. However, recently I watched eps 2 and 3 of Zoku Shou 2nd Season and to tell you they were actually fairly interesting and their seems to be bit more there. Overall, Zoku Shou is a great improvement over the first season of Mushishi.

So because it disappointed your very, very high expectations, you decided to hate on it.

xx0:44 β”€πŸ”˜β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ 04:44x
β—€ xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxx β–Ίxxxx
Oct 28, 2017 5:13 AM

Apr 2016
Lunafleurette said:
So because it disappointed your very, very high expectations, you decided to hate on it.

I wouldn't call my expectations high at all. Just look at Mushishi's reputation as a series - it's named as one of the very best animanga's ever created. With something as highly praised as Mushishi you would think it has to be masterful.

And anyway I never started to hate Mushishi until I was like 15-17 episodes into it. Before this I just saw it as a really boring and dull series, which was disappointing to what I expected. I didn't really care about it until I began to think about it.

Also, my hate of Mushishi doesn't at all effect my judgement to call Mushishi a boring show as this topic asks. If we look at one of my favourite TV series "Daredevil" I would call that a boring show and if this topic were to ask if Daredevil is a boring show I would tell the one asking that it is.
AkoramOct 28, 2017 6:31 PM

Oct 28, 2017 11:23 AM
Oct 2017
Akoram said:
Lunafleurette said:

I wouldn't call my expectations high at all. Just look at Mushishi's reputation as a series - it's named as one of the very best animanga's ever created. With someone as highly praised as Mushishi you would think it has to be masterful.

And anyway I never started to hate Mushishi until I was like 15-17 episodes into it. Before this I just saw it as a really boring and dull series, which was disappointing to what I expected. I didn't really care about it until I began to think about it.

Also, my hate of Mushishi doesn't at all effect my judgement to call Mushishi a boring show as this topic asks. If we look at one of my favourite TV series "Daredevil" I would call that a boring show and if this topic were to ask if Daredevil is a boring show I would tell the one asking that it is.

Did I misunderstand or did you call yourself highly praised and masterful?

And did I also misunderstand or did you call one of your favorite tv series boring?
Oct 28, 2017 7:21 PM

Apr 2016
TheFatOtaku said:
Did I misunderstand or did you call yourself highly praised and masterful?

I accidentally said - "With someone as highly praised as Mushishi you would think it has to be masterful"
instead of "With something as highly praised as Mushishi you would think it has to be masterful"

TheFatOtaku said:
And did I also misunderstand or did you call one of your favorite tv series boring?

No you didn't understand I did call Daredevil a boring show, if I wasn't a big Marvel enthusiast I probably wouldn't have loved it.

Oct 28, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2016
haysikecemboles said:
Don't feed the troll.

So instead of voicing your own opinion of Mushishi or refuting any of my arguments you instead try to reduce my opinions of Mushishi by calling me a troll.

A troll by definition - "In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrΙ’l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Tell me who sounds more like the troll here?
AkoramOct 28, 2017 7:31 PM

More topics from this board

» Cruchyroll no longer has season 1 - where can we stream it instead?

Xinners - Sep 25

7 by CaptainSekiro »»
Sep 27, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

289 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

121 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

95 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

178 by menacce »»
Sep 22, 4:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.