Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 18, 2017 11:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not necessarily taking the stance that any animation made outside of Japan shouldn't be allowed on MAL, I just want to know the reasoning behind why this is permitted to be on the MAL database, and what the MAL community's consensus on the matter is.

As most of us know, this "anime" is made in China. If animation created in China qualifies as anime, then what makes something like Avatar: The Last Airbender not anime?
When did anime become "Made in Asia"?

Anime either means "Made in Japan" like it has been for decades, or MAL needs to not have double standards about this and allow Avatar and RWBY onto the database.
What is the reasoning behind allowing animation from China onto MAL? Are there any animations from South Korea on MAL?
removed-userMay 19, 2017 12:03 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 19, 2017 12:10 AM

Nov 2014
I wondered about it too. On the other hand there are already other chinese (literally) cartoons on MAL. Then there are manhwa, web comics and LNs. I guess it's either we go pure anime-only or have mixed bag with no clear borders.

I just wish they added VNs...
May 19, 2017 12:10 AM

Sep 2014
I'm not entirely sure but it seems like any animations in the anime style that are made in Asia (or at least from China and South Korea) can pass as anime. But it is strange because that is how I think of it as well, anime influenced animated shows from the US I think of as cartoons, but anime styled shows from China or South Korea I think of as anime.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 19, 2017 12:45 AM

Sep 2011

1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:

Professionally produced, animated works created:
in Japan for the Japanese market;
in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.
Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101
May 19, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
Tyrel said:

Thanks, although that still doesn't explain the logic behind it.
I suppose anime, according to MAL, means "East Asian animation"?

Terkhev said:

That would be awesome. All they would have to do is partner with VNDB and combine their visual novel database with MAL's. I would be ecstatic for MAL to be an all-encompassing otaku database.
But wait! Then they would have visual novels that were created in the West! Oh, the horror!
removed-userMay 19, 2017 3:22 PM
May 19, 2017 2:58 PM

Sep 2009
Because MAL isn't as racist as you, duhh. Yeh, there are Korean animations on MAL.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 19, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
MortalMelancholy said:
Because MAL isn't as racist as you, duhh. Yeh, there are Korean animations on MAL.

Jesus, I hope this is a joke comment.
May 19, 2017 3:04 PM

Dec 2015
I'd imagine that the same people will be more likely to watch both types of animation, therefore more traffic to 1 website, 1 account and you can have ALL your East Asian cartoons together, literally no downside.
May 19, 2017 3:06 PM

Sep 2009
HikariJake said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Jesus, I hope this is a joke comment.

Jesus would say that all cartoon animations are created equal <.<
Well, actually, he probably wouldn't.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 19, 2017 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Dblock said:
I'd imagine that the same people will be more likely to watch both types of animation, therefore more traffic to 1 website, 1 account and you can have ALL your East Asian cartoons together, literally no downside.

Good point, actually. I would be more likely to sit through The King's Avatar than to watch the entirety of RWBY, tbh.
May 19, 2017 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
pgmhecateii said:
You should have asked why there are Korean animations on MAL.

Well, I didn't even know that they were. Now that I do know, I question why there are Korean or Chinese shows on MAL at all, because everybody knows anime as "animation from Japan". I guess the meaning of "anime" is evolving past that among the anime community, because everyone is referring to The King's Avatar as "anime".

Isn´t Avatar some American show based on Chinese martial arts. Technically that would be an insult to anime if you put American cartoons here, (I watched Avatar ep 1 and thought it was so-so...)

I mean, personally I don't want any works made outside of Japan on MAL, but since there are already, I don't see what would really exclude Western animation with anime influence from being on MAL. Either we have only Japan, or we have worldwide animation. It doesn't make sense to only open up the regions to East Asia. In fact, I think that's even more insulting to Japan, considering the bitter feelings between Japan and China. Grouping Japan/China/Korea together is completely undermining the differences in their cultures.

Terkhev said:

Yeah, me too, cause I know nothing about them. But not all light novels are related to anime...

Visual novels, not light novels. Light novels are already on MAL.

Also, why is RWBY a manga and suddenly became an American cartoon? Anybody happen to know?

RWBY was originally a Western web animation that grew in popularity in Japan, so a manga adaptation was created based on it.
removed-userMay 19, 2017 3:18 PM
May 21, 2017 8:50 AM
Apr 2017
To be fair when you compare the animation style of communist-china to china today there's a clear difference in influences. Chinese Animation nowadays has to appeal to the mass market so much of the anime like art style comes from that.
May 21, 2017 9:58 AM

Apr 2009
The Chinese invasion starts now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2017 10:05 AM
Aug 2013
Anime becomes communistic, the borders will broaden until there are no borders, Chinese Cartoons are the revolution. Get over it weebs.
NictatorMay 21, 2017 5:15 PM
May 21, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
DimensionKnight said:
Anime becomes communistic, the borders will broaden until there are no borders, Chinese Cartoons is the revolution. Get over it weebs.

Go back to reddit please.
May 21, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2017
any animation based on the Japanese anime art style is an anime how many time should we say that and since it is licensed it can be listed on mal
May 21, 2017 10:47 AM

Jan 2017
anime is a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.not an animation made by japan but based on there artsyle of France do an an animation based on the Japanese style it would count as an anime
May 21, 2017 11:31 AM

Apr 2015
HikariJake said:

Isn´t Avatar some American show based on Chinese martial arts. Technically that would be an insult to anime if you put American cartoons here, (I watched Avatar ep 1 and thought it was so-so...)

I mean, personally I don't want any works made outside of Japan on MAL, but since there are already, I don't see what would really exclude Western animation with anime influence from being on MAL. Either we have only Japan, or we have worldwide animation. It doesn't make sense to only open up the regions to East Asia. In fact, I think that's even more insulting to Japan, considering the bitter feelings between Japan and China. Grouping Japan/China/Korea together is completely undermining the differences in their cultures.

Well speaking only Asian animation history Chinese animation influenced a lot Japanese animation. Of course French animation also has influenced such big names such as Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. And Disney was the big changer among animation industry that it can been seen in older Asian animations when Disney (and Betty Boop) came to Asia. Beside most anime is produced in China or Korea because it's cheaper and those two countries have bigger marketing group than west so there's a lot influences between these three countries.

But for a reason why a website that has anime in it's name also includes animations from other East Asian countries but not western cartoons with anime influences might be because most of the users are from western countries. It's more easy to search for western animations for us and information on them while eastern cartoons just aren't that popular here. And if some one doesn't mind watching a Japanese cartoon I don't think they would say no to a Chinese show if it's good.
May 21, 2017 12:56 PM
Jul 2012
Double standards. Because it looks like anime.
Do not expect reasoning from idiots.
May 26, 2017 5:42 AM

Jan 2008
Honestly speaking, this show is better than SOA which is made in Japan. Quality-wise, I felt like watching an anime movie. Again, YMMV
May 26, 2017 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
yvanc said:
Honestly speaking, this show is better than SOA which is made in Japan. Quality-wise, I felt like watching an anime movie. Again, YMMV

That is completely irrelevant. Disney movies tend to be fantastic (at least, the ones from the Disney Renaissance Era), but they aren't anime. Same applies to this.
May 26, 2017 4:20 PM

Dec 2016
In my definition Anime is an animation that created in Japan or by Japanese or maybe joint production with Japanese and Manga a comic that created in Japan or by Japanese or maybe joint production with Japanese.

If it produce only by one country alone e.g. Chinese create a comic in China and by only Chinese artist then It's not a manga but I will called it Manhua like every Chinese would called it. It maybe have an element or similarities with Manga but still it is a Manhua.

I honestly prefer MAL is only for Japanese / Joint with Japanese production only comic / animation.

But since they already decided to include Chinese and Korean comic / animation, why not include the Western comic / animation when they have a 70% similarity or elements that somewhat akin to Anime and Manga as well? e.g. Avatar the last air-bender series. Nowadays from what is saw, French and American animation / comic that have similarity or elements that somewhat akin to Anime and Manga is on the rise as well. So once again, why not include that as well? why double standard is applied?
HiddenArmyMay 26, 2017 4:23 PM
May 26, 2017 5:09 PM
Apr 2017
HiddenArmy said:
In my definition Anime is an animation that created in Japan or by Japanese or maybe joint production with Japanese and Manga a comic that created in Japan or by Japanese or maybe joint production with Japanese.

If it produce only by one country alone e.g. Chinese create a comic in China and by only Chinese artist then It's not a manga but I will called it Manhua like every Chinese would called it. It maybe have an element or similarities with Manga but still it is a Manhua.

I honestly prefer MAL is only for Japanese / Joint with Japanese production only comic / animation.

But since they already decided to include Chinese and Korean comic / animation, why not include the Western comic / animation when they have a 70% similarity or elements that somewhat akin to Anime and Manga as well? e.g. Avatar the last air-bender series. Nowadays from what is saw, French and American animation / comic that have similarity or elements that somewhat akin to Anime and Manga is on the rise as well. So once again, why not include that as well? why double standard is applied?

Oban Star Racers is on My Anime List. Or were you thinking about another series?

But yea this series got a Japanese Light Novel adaption, hence the Master of Skill title.
https://libre-inc.co.jp/special/masterofskill/
Deoxyribo9May 26, 2017 5:29 PM
May 26, 2017 5:41 PM
Nov 2010
I think the consensus is that western cartoons are still not widely accepted as "anime", so that stigma is probably here to stay unless something major happens.
May 26, 2017 6:06 PM

Apr 2011
Anime means chinese cartoon. This show is literally a chinese cartoon therefore it's literally an anime.

May 26, 2017 6:26 PM

May 2013
Valaskjalf said:
Anime means chinese cartoon. This show is literally a chinese cartoon therefore it's literally an anime.

Hahaha this should be the best answer. [Upvote]
May 26, 2017 7:33 PM
Mar 2013
Tyrel said:

why killing stalking is not allowed then?
May 26, 2017 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
gintamaftw1 said:
Because it's funny to watch weebs get salty over chinese cartoons being added to the database.

This and because there is a task in the MAL Challenge "watch a Chinese anime." So let us do the MAL Challenge properly.x3
May 26, 2017 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
Anime is Eastern animation, and Avatar is a Western animation. Pretty simple and clear-cut.

Chinese and Korean animations have been accepted into the database for as long as I can remember.
May 26, 2017 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Not really sounding like a jerk but anime doesn't really equal only something for Japan. In all honesty this is fine being here.
TripleSRank said:
Chinese and Korean animations have been accepted into the database for as long as I can remember.

^ This basically.
May 26, 2017 10:00 PM

Sep 2011
buyusetna said:
Tyrel said:

That's a Manhwa... Not an anime.

Also, read the rules here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141104 for manga.
May 26, 2017 10:45 PM

Jun 2007
FYI. Joint projects done between America and Japan can be added to the database as well. IGPX, for example, was an original series made for Cartoon Network back in 2003. Avatar on the other hand is 100% an American Cartoon by production and definition. Japan nor any Asian country played any part in the making of it. The art style is similar but it's still labeled as Cartoon when you look it up.

Personally I don't really see a problem with Chinese or Korean Anime being added to the site as long as the style is the same as traditional Japanese Anime. I'm not sure why this gets some people's knickers in a bunch. At the end of the day these are shows that you would have never known where not made in Japan if it wasn't for the Chinese characters and production company names.
May 27, 2017 2:48 AM

Jul 2015
If Id manage this page, Id either create a sub category for Non Japanese Cartoons, or develop a daughter site (the code structer is already there, so it wouldnt take too much work). Merging them (as it right now with this series e.g.) works right now with few titles, but if 100s or more of foreign "animes" will be added, it will get confusing. There are already quite a lot new Janapese entries per season.
May 27, 2017 12:09 PM
Apr 2014
I never post, but this is a topic I'm compelled to give my worthless opinion on;

To me anime is an arstyle, the presentation, and the culture surrounding it, while celebrating the upbringings of the craft. And like all sorts of crafts, it is subject to become universal at some point because people around the world may enjoy it that much. And I say that's a positive more than anything, as we know anime behind the scenes is a very unpleasant playing field and having outside support is the best way to help mend the system. This would also give way to much more diverse anime that otherwise wouldn't have been made possible if it had been allowed. If anime were to spread to other countries, do I think Japanese animators should be involved to make it anime though if so? Not entirely sure to be honest, though I may think so because anime was primarily a Japenese art for so long and ingrained in their history and culture that for them to be out of the equation seems rather sacrilegious. Though I don't have all the answers. But I do have an open mind and am interested to see how anime evolves as an art form.
May 27, 2017 3:56 PM
Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
buyusetna said:

Also, read the rules here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141104 for manga.

if korean anime is allowed why korean manga cant be allowed too? i dont understand
May 27, 2017 4:01 PM

Sep 2011
Removed comments inciting flame war
Jun 3, 2017 10:50 AM

Sep 2009
Cause it looks and feels like one whereas avatar does not.
I thought country of origin mattered but this one made me change my opinion.
Jun 3, 2017 11:41 AM
Jun 2017
In Japanese: Anime=animation (original) = 動画 (kanji)
In Chinese: 動画 = 动画 (as simplified Chinese characters) = Anime

THEY LITERALLY STAND THE SAME THING
Also, I'm still confused why people just get triggered by this.
Isn't it just a terminology?
Jun 3, 2017 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
chzcy said:
In Japanese: Anime=animation (original) = 動画 (kanji)
In Chinese: 動画 = 动画 (as simplified Chinese characters) = Anime

THEY LITERALLY STAND THE SAME THING
Also, I'm still confused why people just get triggered by this.
Isn't it just a terminology?

Here we have an exemple of a smart person, just debunked this for you
Anime stands for, drum role please... ANIMATION
Jun 3, 2017 5:32 PM

Dec 2010
buyusetna said:
Tyrel said:

if korean anime is allowed why korean manga cant be allowed too? i dont understand
Korean manhwa isn't allowed? I've seen manhwa entries on MAL. https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=manhwa
Jun 6, 2017 12:32 AM

Jun 2016
Western animation is just too different.

For this show, be honest, if you watched it in Japanese, you wouldn't even have known it's originally Chinese. Because it's very similar to Japanese anime in terms of style.

Users (like myself) who watch Chinese anime will appreciate the option to include them here; to me and many others, they are comparable (style-wise.) I watch western animation and cartoons too (for eg. Gravity Falls) but it would be too weird to include them here -- the style is just too different.
Jun 8, 2017 3:15 PM
Feb 2017
So..is there an objective answer, or are they all personal opinions? Genuinely asking, because I have read and seen -and also by definitions- that anime means Japanese animations and only Japanese (Not that I mind if it weren't Japanese as long as it looks like anime) so I'm confused now.

Back to the question: Is there an objective, definite answer?
Jun 8, 2017 5:36 PM
Nov 2015
because china don't have a website / didn't make any website for discuss / give rating yet their own country anime yet ?

because china still much more focus making a lot of good / great manhua instead making anime, compare to japan china still relatively low having anime industry compare japan ?

problemly / maybe / who knows.
Jun 8, 2017 8:05 PM
Dec 2015
i don't see any problem with adding eastern animations on this site, but i would like a little flag of origin next to the name of a serie

like this show getting a chinese flag and a korean show a korean flag, and the japanese shows a japanese flag to just quickly see if it's a "true japanese anime" or a "eastern anime"
Aug 19, 2017 11:06 PM
Apr 2015
Keeping my own ideas out of this did you know in Japan the place of animes birth calls RWBY and Avatar are referred to ad anime and really only people outside Japan deny them as anime.... True facts
Oh and the Creator of No Game No Life was born in Brazil and Studio Ghibli has worked with western companies on some of their biggest names in there portfolio.
lucky13520Aug 19, 2017 11:13 PM
Aug 19, 2017 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
@HikariJake One Piece is "Made in Philippines"
i also agree that these 2 dont qualify as anime
Nov 30, 2017 8:02 AM
Sep 2015
Why don't they add Neo Yokio here?
Jul 1, 2019 6:18 PM

Jul 2017
Because MAL staff is hypocrite. This is managed by friends, after all. Rules are like jelly in the sun.

"Oh, we only add titles produced by japanese companies"
They changed that.
"Oh, we only add titles created by japanese artists and routerists"
Changed that too.
Not it seems that "China and Japan are allowed". Korea, almost there.

We just have to wait for them to take liking into a title that doesn't fit their rules, then they simply change it.
And no, it's not based on community pressure. I've been watching MAL years before I had an account here and there is rarely any case of community successfully pushing them to do anything.

Anyway, I'm glad they did. I love this show.
Jul 1, 2019 6:20 PM

Jul 2017
kyrrua said:
So..is there an objective answer, or are they all personal opinions? Genuinely asking, because I have read and seen -and also by definitions- that anime means Japanese animations and only Japanese (Not that I mind if it weren't Japanese as long as it looks like anime) so I'm confused now.

Back to the question: Is there an objective, definite answer?

In case of MAL, "what is anime" doesn't really matter. They change based on their own opinions.
Mar 15, 2020 7:19 AM
Apr 2015
MAL logic:

- A series with the anime art style, made by an Asian person = ANIME
- A series with the anime art style, made by white/black person ≠ ANIME

Nice...

Also, on the "Castlevania" thread, you can read from a mod that it doesn't count as the anime and won't be listed in the database, because it wasn't made with the association with any Japanese studios, etc. Also from what I've read here a foreign (not Japanese) comic won't be listed if it doesn't have any Japanese adaptation (anime, etc). Well, clearly not a case with "Radiant" as there's still no Radiant comic on this website even tho the anime has already two seasons. And somehow titles like "Vagrant Soldier Ares", "The Breaker", etc. are listed in the database even though they have nothing to with Japan, nor they have any Japanese adaptation ¯_(ツ)_/¯

How can you guys at MAL headquarters be so inconsistent?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

eplipswich - May 5, 2017

123 by WienGirl »»
Oct 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 7, 2017

165 by WienGirl »»
Oct 3, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

NettoAzure - Apr 6, 2017

226 by LonelyPanda105 »»
Jul 29, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

echiomega - Apr 14, 2017

139 by nightjasmine »»
Jul 14, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

eplipswich - Jun 8, 2017

63 by amf85 »»
Jun 15, 4:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.