Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 16, 2015 12:49 AM

Nov 2013
A lot of talking this episode.

I felt like the swordsmith's story was a little too drawn out for my taste.

EDIT: I'm dumb. I thought the swordsmith's side of the story was about Balsa and Chagum. Now I feel like I should rewatch this episode. Shit.

EDIT 2: Decided to rewatch the whole story and I'm glad I did. I was able to appreciate this episode a lot more now that I understand completely what the story was about.

Can't wait to see Balsa fight some baddies with her new spear!

Great episode. The story was a nice subtle way of developing Balsa and the mysterious bodyguard that took care of her.

8/10

KillthisAccount said:
Anyone complaining about too much dialogue and not enough action, should just stick to One Piece/Naruto/generic shounen crap.
Calling shounen crap just cause they aren't thought-provoking or have little action like Seirei no Moribito makes you look pretty pathetic.
FunnyRatmanMar 16, 2015 1:19 AM

Sep 24, 2015 12:57 AM

Mar 2012
Well, that explains why the guy who took care of her was crying when he stabbed the other guy in episode 3 while she was hallucinating/recalling the past. Forcing people to try to assassinate a friend is not cool : /
Mar 8, 2016 12:32 PM

Mar 2010
I'm loving this so much I don't even feel the need to see any action. It's just so well-done: the characters, the dialogue, Balsa's past, everything.
Oct 7, 2016 8:28 PM

Nov 2011
Even in the world with wars everywhere, character like Kenshin and Balsa still trying to live and protect something without killing anybody ... It is a sad thing seeing stupid people in our world killing each other (and the worst thing, killing and using childrens in wars) just because stupid reason like stupid religion dominance..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 27, 2016 2:22 AM
May 2012
Great episode. The episode was over before I knew it.
May 6, 2017 6:01 AM

Oct 2012
That was an interesting approach
Instead of flashback or similiar things like that
They're using third person perspective to tell the backstory
It's like killing two birds with a stone xD

Oh wow, it's truly interesting episode
Rayl1ghtMay 6, 2017 6:12 AM
"Signature removed"
Sep 24, 2018 1:55 PM

Sep 2011
What a great episode! Balsa was pretty much like Chagum; she was saved, and protected by Jiguro, who unfortunately, saw himself forced to kill his friends, one by one, no wonder he seemed in so much pain after he killed that man on that memory Balsa saw as she was dying. Now I guess this is the guilty that Balsa carries with her, what she wants to atone for, but I might be wrong. It's a pity though, according to the blacksmith Jiguro is no longer in this world, and I really wanted to get to know him, maybe with flashbacks now.

But really, this blacksmith was great, he's loyal to the court, but not a blind sheep, he is so great that even the hunters go to him for their weapons, and he knows Balsa's history, and that's why he didn't believe the rumors, and reported her, but instead he chose to hear both sides of the story, and it was worth it, because he now knows about her policy of not killing, although it's worrying, it also speaks wonder of her character, I wonder how far she will be able to go without staining her hands.
Aug 21, 2019 7:30 AM

May 2015
I wanna that sword.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 1, 2019 6:27 AM

Aug 2018
Fantastic episode this one, nice change from the last one which was quite mediocre.
Apr 1, 2020 5:02 PM
Sep 2017
This was an amazing episode. Absolutely loved the whole spin with the swordsmith's story while testing Balsa's trustworthiness.

Balsa got praised by her enemies and that's how the swordsmith trusted her. The dialogue was amazing.
Jan 20, 2021 12:38 PM

Jul 2017
One of the best pure-exposition episodes I've seen in anime (not counting anime like Monogatari that relies on its visual experience and bizarre directing choices to back it up, just pure, normal talking only and that's it).

It's pretty phenomenal to see how much information was presented about Balsa's backstory in the past through a normal conversation with two guards, but everything about it is only inferred through the way the wordsmith spoke. I love how he handled the situation when the guards arrived, since he is someone who does help the palace guards with his work a lot, but also someone who clearly has a treasured history between the warrior in his speech and the child (who turns out to be Balsa), so he wanted to get to the bottom of things to determine whether or not to help Balsa out despite the rumors going on about her, without selling her out or revealing her secret.

Even the whole nature on the ultimate sword being the one created to help and save lives rather than have blood tainted on it with its kills is a fascinating viewpoint by Kenji Kamiyama. He believes that his creations don't live up to those standards just yet since even his creations are viewed as tools that were meant to take lives, including the warrior he was speaking about who had to take lives to protect the life of a friend's child, and the fact that he killed tormented him mentally till his death.

Through this conversation that may just seem like a vague story to a lot of people, it perfectly described the nature of the swordsmith's character, Balsa's backstory and how her morals came to be as well as Jiguro himself. Even the warriors/guards, Mon and Jin, learned about how the warrior they fought was someone worthy of their respect and admiration and could be labelled a great warrior that they had the honor of dueling with. Also through that story, Chagum would get to learn a lot about the woman/bodyguard he's travelling with, the nature of the kingdom and much, much more.

This episode was a near masterpiece with its simple yet fascinating method of storytelling where every word spoken by the smith felt powerful to pay attention to with a ton of weight. In the end, he even realizes that he only has one more shot to create the ultimate blade that he wanted to fulfill his aspirations after learning about both sides of the story, and chooses to help Balsa out with forging a new spear for her. Amazing.
Jun 13, 2021 12:58 AM

Feb 2014
Now this is how you do exposition right. Just pure dialogues with characters sitting around and talking, and yet, not only was the entire episode gripping, but even emotional, no matter how many times I rewatch the show. Probably the best episode up to this point.
Jan 27, 2022 6:02 AM

Sep 2016
You know, you do think a whole episode where an old man telling a story with pure words without showing any flashback or anything of it, would be boring, but honestly this is actually probably the most engaging episode so far. The dialogues and atmosphere are just so freaking good!
Apr 7, 2022 9:14 PM

Jul 2016
goddamn wonderful. i want to know more. heck, this episode could continue until the next and i'd be no less riveted.
i get the feeling that balsa is of some sort of birth, whether that it noble or significant or not i do not know.
May 21, 2022 4:51 PM

Oct 2014
Fantastic storytelling in this episode. It's amazing what a great writer can do to enhance a series
Sep 28, 2022 9:21 AM
Jan 2017
this has gotta be the absolute best blacksmith scene in all of history!
Oct 7, 2022 2:17 PM

Jun 2014
Very emotional episode
Mar 7, 2023 3:40 PM

Jun 2020
I genuinely don't know what was so great about this episode. In my opinion it was the worst so far.

Exposition shouldn't take up a whole episode, and I felt the dialogue was obvious. Half of the Jigiro/Balsa backstory was already shown earlier, it just needed a bit of piecing together. That whole 15 minute sequence basically told us that Jigiro was friends with the men he had to kill and the blacksmith decided to have a second go at making his masterpiece for Balsa. That's it. The pace is slowing to a crawl.

Yet another example of telling instead of showing in anime.
BritishBlitz87Mar 7, 2023 3:45 PM
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Sep 5, 2023 7:02 PM
Oct 2021
Peak writing. It ties more things together and still keeps all intrigued about what's to come. I commend this episode
Oct 27, 2023 8:05 AM

Apr 2016
Some backstory about Balsa but quite funny neither guy thought it was suspicious that the blacksmith was telling them that story and he had a spear with him... but hey! a new shiny spear! I'm enjoying this show :D
Aug 20, 8:03 AM

Apr 2017
So that's why he still feels some loyalty to Balsa, even when she's against the palace.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.