Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece Special: Open Upon the Great Sea! A Father's Huge, HUGE Dream! Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2009 9:06 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For some reason I really liked this special. The visuals were great and it was very funny and rather enjoyable. Luffy fighting everyone was awesome and hilarious.

8/10
Nov 20, 2009 3:13 AM

Sep 2008
Great SP!

Bayan: "Who is this brute?"
Zap: "A monster" lol

It was awesome to see Luffy fighting his nakama xDD

The eye contact part between Bayan & Zap was a big rofl!!

The product of Chopper and Ussop's collaboration, the Sure-Kill Sleep Star lool

All Straw Hat Pirates attacking Bayan at the same time was just .. BO SUGOI!! Undescribable!

Sanji and Zoro working together is always welcome!

10/10 SP!

Straw Hat Pirates: "It was nothing."
"We just beat him up because he pissed us off!"

xDD

It was rly a quite enjoyable SP!

Edit: Forgot to mention, The author of those OVAs/Movies/TV-Specials seems to have a loli fetish o_O!!
Kaito__KidNov 20, 2009 3:40 AM

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Dec 16, 2009 2:30 PM

May 2008
Really Good Special Episode!

Straw Hat Crew Special Attack was Awesome!
Mar 27, 2010 12:24 PM

Aug 2009
Great special! The humour was great, one of the best OP Specials for sure.

Jun 3, 2010 7:06 PM
Apr 2009
Favorite part: After the combined attack...moment of pause....*CLUTCH!*...too funny

Excellent special. Just great! Glad the runaway pirates wanted make a family too =)
Apr 30, 2011 1:02 AM

May 2010
I really enjoy watching these OP special because its like watching a mini movie :-) the beginning part was hilarious where sanji drugged luffy with a sleeping pill! XD and the way nami's eyes beamed when hearing treasure was unforgettable!

One of the children, namely milia had a big resemblance of nami was she was a child.. lastly the ending where they found the treasure was breathtaking! man, isn't that pearl regarded an epic treasure such as one piece? haha
Mar 16, 2012 8:23 AM

Aug 2011
So he has the power to make girls take their clothes off. Interesting.
Jul 29, 2013 3:34 AM

Oct 2009
nonmp89 said:
Favorite part: After the combined attack...moment of pause....*CLUTCH!*...too funny

Excellent special. Just great! Glad the runaway pirates wanted make a family too =)

I agree that was the best part of this Special, that I think makes this Special stand out more.
I felt bad for the guy there for a slight second, but then i thought he deserved it. LOL
Aug 30, 2014 7:53 PM

Jun 2012
What kind of father puts a tattoo of a treasure map on his daughters back?
Sep 12, 2014 6:15 AM

Jan 2014
First full team combo attack!! Cool. :D
I really enjoyed this special 8/10 ^__^
Feb 3, 2015 11:55 AM

Feb 2014
This special was awesome, I really liked it.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Feb 18, 2015 2:48 PM
Jul 2012
AnimationQueen said:
nonmp89 said:

I agree that was the best part of this Special, that I think makes this Special stand out more.

I gotta say Robin was the best part of this, all-around solid, special! But when she released the Clutch on Luffy with an "I give up" was even better!!! Either way, her timing was on point throughout.
Sep 20, 2015 1:22 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Average with some funny moments :)

Oct 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Aug 2014
How would they even move that giant thing? It would just lay there.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Mar 15, 2016 9:27 PM

Dec 2012
I really liked how Sanji held back from smoking in front of Milia. 8/10
Jul 15, 2016 10:06 PM

Mar 2015
This was a good special, funny bits here and there.. again with helping kids out
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 13, 2016 8:00 AM
πŸ₯Š CHAMPION πŸ₯Š

Apr 2016
Is possible this special was the weaker of One Piece.

Is about a adventure with childrens, with few action, although is comical.The plot is simple. The final has surprise, and is not a "turtle" xD

6/10.
Oct 4, 2017 5:24 PM

Dec 2016
Their combined attack was pretty funny/cool.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 4, 2019 8:12 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
It could have been much better. The villain reminds me of the dude from the Clockwork Island movie.
Mar 31, 2021 4:04 PM

Aug 2012
Compared to the first special, this was a lot more in line with One Piece standard fare. So while it mostly didn't feature any of the problems of the Ocean's Navel, it was also a lot less interesting. The only problem that carried over is unexplained abilities. I think the Symphony Conductor powers does sort of fit in One Piece's logic, it's not that vastly different from Goldenweek's paint ability but that ability still made more sense in it's application. It's really weird how it's able to hone in on a single person to control despite everyone hearing it, and I don't think the song ever changed either so it's not like it matched up to the music.

I also don't really care for Amanda and her father drama, to be honest Amanda had all the reason in the world to hate her father for tattooing the map on her back. I like the bit about the pendant being important, as predictable as it was. But even beyond tattooing his daughter with a map being 100% an awful thing to do, their whole relationship and story was so rote I wouldn't have liked it regardless, and Amanda's storm off while Usopp was talking about adventure got a groan from me. But I thought the role reversal of Max & Bonnie asking her if they wanted to escape was a nice touch, and the Sanji/Milia stuff was sweet.

I also kind of like how little they cared about the antagonists, Zap being defeated off-screen and Bayan losing easily to a team attack. Oh and their misunderstood eye-contact moment was amusing. I concur with everyone who said the team attack, *beat*, "Clutch" was the best part of the movie. I also enjoyed seeing Luffy vs. the crew, the Robin bit was funny with how quickly she gave up, and there's something novel seeing Luffy being the one to thwack Nami (even if he didn't physical hit her).

Just like the last special, another 5/10 for me. I do like it more than the last one but not enough to reach a 6, the banal Amanda/father relationship thing weighs it down too much.
Apr 26, 2021 7:35 PM

May 2017
Well when Amanda was controlled i was like "0.0 interesting ! Just a little more..." But then she didnt do it
Seriously this anime need more fanservice

Laughed a lot at the robin vs luffy fight , poor robin got only 1 attack πŸ˜…
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Mar 27, 2022 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
Robin had the best scenes in this special!
I liked the humor and VA. And that treasure was also amazing! 8/10!
Jun 21, 2022 11:43 PM

Nov 2010
Amanda is super cute! especially when she was being forced to reveal that map. So lickable. hehe

7/10
Aug 4, 2022 12:45 PM
Sep 2020
Finallly a one piece that i can give a 10/10,
this is what i want from an anime dealing with treasures and something extraordinary , that ending sealed it as my favorite one piece media so far

no character seem out of place, Amanda's development was satisfying, her sister is too cute ,and the relationship between sanji and her was just touching and very comfortable

it was short and to the point
Mack_YeagerAug 4, 2022 12:49 PM
Sep 28, 2023 3:52 PM

Feb 2023

More topics from this board

» link?

ThatDeadMikey - Apr 9, 2021

2 by ThatDeadMikey »»
Apr 10, 2021 5:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.