Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2009 2:33 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not sure why this anime got such a high rating, but for me it is too Christian in combination with too French resulting in a completely painful watching time and putting it on hold indefinitely. Some might like it though, so I'm not rating it..

Addendum: and it is also too crowded and too bitchy lacking proper atmosphere for a nice yuri series.
skriticosJul 3, 2009 3:22 PM
Jul 3, 2009 4:43 PM
Jul 2009
It is true that it may look quite naive or sentimental. I just adore this anime but I think it is straight choice, you either love or hate it. I love the atmosphere of this series, the way the plot flows - nothing really important happens, it is all about the characters and their relationship.
Jul 29, 2009 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
The people who enjoy this series enjoy it for it's fantastic characterization, none of these characters can ever be considered anything other than well developed. It definetly isn't a series everyone would enjoy, but I liked it so much I'm watching the series again.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 21, 2011 7:38 PM

May 2010
Well, this is confusing....
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 22, 2012 1:22 PM

Aug 2008
insan3soldiern said:
The people who enjoy this series enjoy it for it's fantastic characterization, none of these characters can ever be considered anything other than well developed. It definetly isn't a series everyone would enjoy, but I liked it so much I'm watching the series again.

I am looking forward to watching it for this reason!
Jun 13, 2013 8:13 AM
Mar 2008
Found it to be a little bit confusing .. too many characters introduced in short succession. I don't understand who rejected the long haired girl originally, but I think it's supposed to the curly haired girl?
Aug 27, 2013 9:55 PM
Jan 2013
So far, an odd little series. All the Council members seem like harpies rather than roses.
Good for Yumi for standing up for her feelings. I hope her life returns to tranquility soon.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Feb 2, 2014 3:39 AM

Nov 2010
Good first episode, lots of heavy words but i got the story.
i will watch the rest, seems interesting enough.
Feb 7, 2014 7:50 AM

Aug 2013
Re-watching.

After so many years, I'm still in love with this series. The mood, the characters, the OP...ahh...Sei-sama <3
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 4, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2014
Sachiko is hot.
Dec 29, 2014 8:01 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Those clothes make them look like sticks to be honest and also tall. Sachiko looks like a girl who'd be on the basketball team, she looks like she's around the 6 ft mark, maybe a bit taller.

Anyway, nice start to the show. I'm not really into religious type shows but I was persuaded to give this show a try. I was expecting a dialogue filled episode but surprisingly it wasn't like that. It has french words like "sisters" in French which it wasn't that hard to understand.

I sort of disliked Sachiko a bit here because she kept telling Yumi to be quiet. Like let the girl speak. Other than that minor complaint, the other characters in the council are quite likable.

Jul 29, 2015 8:41 AM

Dec 2012
It's been roughly a year since I watched Strawberry Panic so I thought it was high time to watch another one of these Catholic school shoujo-ai series. It took about halfway through the episode to finally warm up to it, I'm liking what it has to offer so far. The first few minutes I was wracking my brain around all of the French terminology but I'm getting a rough idea as to what's going on. My only complaint is with the quality. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose, I'll just treat it as if I'm watching one of those low budget early 90s anime.

Edit: Just started episode 2 and the quality is much better. Ok great looking forward to this show then.
Jan 14, 2016 9:35 PM

Jan 2013
Alright, not a big fan of the atmosphere or setting.
Also the character interactions, not the most interesting yet.
Oct 15, 2016 12:11 AM

Feb 2014
Welp, had to finally pick this up after I stumbled onto that gag from Lucky Star on YouTube where Konata gets hooked on "Marimite".
The episode was somewhat confusing, especially the first few minutes, but this kind of seems like it's going to be a better version Strawberry Panic. Although, that isn't something too hard to achieve.
Mar 10, 2017 1:34 PM
Mar 2017
Ston3_FreeN7 said:

Ditto. Characters and character development are at the heart of this series. Marimite is my favourite series ever. I usually watch it at least once per year.
Jan 24, 2018 7:27 PM
Jan 2014
yikes this show is gonna be hard to follow. it's hard enough to remember japanese names in anime, but now I also have to match them up with french nicknames or whatever, on top of every character looking the same, and 20 of them being introduced in the first episode.
ItsXoloJan 30, 2018 2:18 AM
Feb 11, 2018 1:34 PM

Oct 2012
Their senpai/kohai naming is surely weird but the second part of the episode was good at least. The show has certainly some potential, it only depends on how everything turns out in the next episodes. But so far, it was very close to being average. Guess that's introductory episode for you even though the real introduction need to happen yet.
Mar 8, 2018 4:37 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Highly dramatic and honestly a lot more proper then I was originally assuming it to be. I had watched Strawberry Panic eons ago which is almost this but......boring? We'll see where it goes from here.

Honestly at this point though, theres too many names and lots of French not properly defined that I had to look up.
Sep 20, 2018 2:26 PM

Jul 2017
I can't believe I got into this because of Lucky Star
Dec 18, 2018 11:10 PM
Feb 2018
Worried by how many of you say this is confuse and dense. Is a slow anime cause occurs in a meditative place and circumstance, where personal and psychological issues mature maybe in excess before be expressed. If you have problems digesting this is because you have become too much unidimensional on your taste.
Aug 14, 2019 2:04 PM
Jan 2018
took me a while to figure it out but i think i got it down not sure what the rose bud thing is about though

i know that roses are basically seniors

sour petite is little sister and grande is big sister ???

and the little sisters of the roses are rose buds basically 2nd years and when they become 3rd years they will become roses and the little sisters of them will become rose buds as they are 2nd year then the little sisters of the roses will become a big sister when the choice there own little sister
Mattinator95Aug 14, 2019 2:10 PM
Apr 20, 2020 3:57 AM

Sep 2009
I've been saving this series for years, savouring the small amount of shoujo-ai / yuri series there are QQ and I finally decided to watch this... Not giving up yet, but first impression is very bad so far... :/

Can already tell that Yumi will be getting on my nerves, cant stand those cutesy, good for nothing protagonists...
Extremely confusing French + religious jibber jabber
All the council members seem to me more like a witches' Sabbath than Maria's roses lol...
Very confusing way of explaining the past events by constantly jumping back and forth between what seem like Yumi's memories and present.

It's only been 1 episode so far so I'm not being too judgemental yet and I will give it a chance still, but so far I'm really not impressed....

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Apr 23, 2020 10:13 AM
Mar 2008
Mercadanteus said:
Worried by how many of you say this is confuse and dense. Is a slow anime cause occurs in a meditative place and circumstance, where personal and psychological issues mature maybe in excess before be expressed. If you have problems digesting this is because you have become too much unidimensional on your taste.

Yikes, imagine thinking this highly of your own opinion.

Seriously though, this anime doesn't handle the introduction of its characters well at all, too many moving parts episode one. I'm a big fan of slow burn anime, and this one just didn't do it for me episode 1.
Dec 3, 2020 1:18 PM

Aug 2018
Damn, this sharp artstyle makes it look like girls are evil and interrogating Yumi, or about to play with her in wrong ways or something.. I mean, sharper eyes make for more person like that feel..
And damn, so many mains?.. So focus will be at 8 girls?.. Damn, that's a lot.. Or it's just tagged like this, because maybe there will be main pair or something like Yumi/Sachiko.. But will see..
Wonder, if these girls indeed believe in all of this proper stuff being important in the face of god, or in their case rather - Maria.. Or if at least Sachiko is religious like that..
So Sachiko was after another girl at first?.. Sounds like mega oof.. I mean, if it's possible substitution problem Yumi is going to be involved or something.. But will see..
Well, it's both a trouble for Yumi to ask Sachiko for permission.. But also an opportunity.. For her to maybe start talking more with Sachiko.. So kinda good job from photography girl.. ;P
So ok, there is like 3 presidents, and 3 vice-presidents for each one, I guess.. Something like that..
It seems Sachiko doesn't even remember morning encounter.. Mega oof x2.. I won't be counting all oofs, though, of course.. As it seems these girls actually do a lot of questionable things..
Damn, this talk really seems like some politics shit going on.. ;D Wonder, what these girls are after, with talks like that.. Like.. Is Youko enjoying cornering Sachiko or something, and that's why playing around her decision of accepting Yumi as smaller sister?.. Or why she does that?.. And why Sachiko does, what she does?.. It feels a bit, that maybe she's impulsively doing some things, not even sure, for what reason.. To safe face.. I don't know.. Overall, it all feels a bit like some strange politics.. I'm not sure I like this "council" too much, how they operate..
At least that Toudou girl has brain and actually asks about Yumi's feelings, lol.. Instead of all this political farce..
And that Sei girl making feelings of Yumi and connection between sisters as a part of the deal?.. Man, these girls are really something, when it comes to being considerate, lol.. I mean, not considerate at all, of course.. Like, wtf is this, to be honest?..
Well, at least, I guess, Sachiko and Yumi can have some potential.. Even if they're put in a dirty political game, really.. At least it seems, that both of them are interested in religious questions and thoughts.. Possibly.. I mean, with how it maybe was important for Sachiko, how appearance is important in front of Maria.. And how for Yumi it's interesting, why Maria's heart is being compared to blue sapphire of all things..
They can have shared interests, that is.. But for now they are in questionable circumstances more than anything.. But.. It's just a start.. Who knows, if they'll bond on the interests or not.. And I'm assuming they might have some interests in religion, could be just an assumption..
Well, so far - I like Yumi.. Sachiko is strange one, of what is going inside her head.. Shimako, it seems, maybe has the most sense of the girls.. But who knows.. And other girls seem strange as Sachiko as well, I guess, for now - with how they handled all this situation.. It was all very strange.. Well, will continue to watch, wonder, which girls I'll start liking, and which not.. Hopefully, girls will be likable, even if many of them started on wtf note in the first episode, lol.. Only a slight feeling of wtf for now, maybe things will make more sense later, or could just be a bad day, or something.. ;P
Dec 15, 2020 3:44 AM
Apr 2016
Basically Oniisama...e but no bullying, incest, mental illnesses, suicide, abuse, drugs, self-harm, or discrimination! Hmm, let's see...
Jan 27, 2021 7:10 AM

Feb 2020
I'm in love with the atmosphere. I don't know how to put it, but it is incredibly charming.
As for the story, I was very confused at first, but it became much more understandable afterwards, just like how I was afraid the slow pacing would be hard to handle but actually really seems to serve the plot.
The characters seem to be pretty interesting and well written for now, especially Yumi and Sachiko.
Overall this is a very good start ! It has some real potential to become a new favorite of mine.

And one last thing : it took me a while to understand that what I heard as "sulu" is actually supposed to be "soeur". It made me laugh when I finally got it, I know I shouldn't judge but hearing very serious characters pronouncing just as seriously what sounds like total gibberish was completely unexpected.

Edit : Wait, people are saying this show doesn't properly translate french words ? Well I'm glad to be from the baguette world then, I can't imagine how confusing it would've been otherwise, that's quite a way to ruin an experience...
FafetteJan 27, 2021 7:22 AM
Sep 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Aug 2020
ItsXolo said:
yikes this show is gonna be hard to follow. it's hard enough to remember japanese names in anime, but now I also have to match them up with french nicknames or whatever, on top of every character looking the same, and 20 of them being introduced in the first episode.

Yeah, pretty much summarizes my thoughts for the first episode.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Apr 13, 2022 8:57 PM

Jun 2014
This seems interesting. It partly reminds me of the older shoujo drama anime of the 1970s, which was no longer common at the time that this came out.

Nov 7, 2022 10:54 PM
Oct 2020
beeeest aniiime ever
Jul 6, 2023 7:53 AM
Nov 2009
Just watched first episode, reporting.

First of all, after long break from watching anime, I immediately felt that "anime dialogues impression", with first lines. Extremely pretentious speech, going around the bush toon  much.
Scene, when two girls met and one fixed a little an other's ribbon, is considered as WOW THIS IS FATEFUL MEETING SO IMPORTANT WOW. Just ridiculous. By the way, Sachiko talk and act like a typical bishounen or yaoi prince (mysterious and enigmatic of course).

Going next. What's the problem about that photo? There was 2 conditions: photo will be exposed at some kind of exhibition, Sachiko should give her permission. First question - why, second - the same. Yumi should have said: I don't like when someone shooting me secretly, and Sachiko will not like it either, so give me the photo, that's all.

And bet in the council room is ever more absurd.
First of all, if Sachiko is so cool and important, as everyone said, why didn't she just say no, i don't want to play my role or I will play on my terms. Nah, she just listened all that bitchy talks and agreed to participate in stupid bet that one of the girls come up with. Like, come on, are you serious? Are you gonna do everything if someone tell you to do? Main part is that she won't win anything, she GET A PERMISSION (think about it!) don't do what she don't want while she ALREADY can. And for Yumi all this situation is a pressure too, of course. Feel sorry for her, she's only likeable character for now.

And in the end of EP Sachiko came and said "you will be my sister no matter what". Oh lol, come on, r u stupud? When both of them are don't even want to.

Totals. 
I will look further because of the cute art and design (and shoujo ai), but it seems to me that it will be another anime in which the whole plot is based on the fact that the main characters are too softies to open their mouths and say what they really think and behave accordingly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 4 Discussion

Cratex - Sep 27, 2012

12 by ObedPM »»
Aug 12, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 8 Discussion

Cratex - Sep 28, 2012

16 by Akaseaka »»
Jun 6, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 13 Discussion

HappyPear - Jul 8, 2009

25 by KingYoshi »»
May 31, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 6 Discussion

DarkIceXIII - Aug 30, 2009

20 by silentxblue »»
Sep 19, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 3 Discussion

Cratex - Aug 12, 2012

17 by Joey-XD19202 »»
Jul 1, 2023 10:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.