Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2007 11:11 AM

Oct 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------
wow, very interesting episode.

So, like I thought the spirit aint evil, and that Holy Sage is plotting something...
A lot of mysticism involved in this episide. I just love that shaman. Pretty lively for a woman so old :P. And that scene when she offered the rabbit? to be eaten first was awesome. Same for the scene when she gives him food and he refuses. "He" was "hurt" :)
Now, Shuga is on a tight spot too... and looking at the next episode title someone's gonna die... maybe. Can't

Hm...Another thing got me thinking... Balsa got that blade from the old blacksmith... and the blacksmith wanted to create a blade that did not kill enemies if I recall it right. So, maybe he did indeed create a blade that defeats the enemies (maybe spiritually) but does not kill them. That would explain why Balsa was sure of killing that mercenary, (as sure as I was) but she in fact didn't. It wouldn't surprise me since the show is so full of mysticism...

KayrhandrosJul 16, 2007 11:15 AM
Jul 16, 2007 2:33 PM

Mar 2007
Good episode, got done watching it a while ago. Those theories are interesting, wonder if they are true.
Jul 16, 2007 3:57 PM

Jan 2007
interesting episode indeed. It was neat to see how the Shaman escaped from the Knot and it was great to get some answers about Chagnum. the next episode title made me even more curious about it, looking forward to it.
Aug 4, 2007 1:15 PM

Apr 2007
very nice indeed.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 8, 2008 5:31 PM

May 2008
until now this is one of my favorites!!
This episode was very good...so...I just can´t wait for the next one^^
Jan 12, 2009 3:50 AM

Jul 2008
Some things are beginning to unravel I hope. Shuga is in a big pinch, I hope he can create energy from rocks.
Mar 19, 2009 5:37 PM
Feb 2009
WTF?! At the end of E13, Balsa believes she's killed a man and basically snapped because of her vow not to kill which is a major characterization issue for her and has been half of the story drive of the entire series. Then in E14 she's just like, "Ho,hum. I guess I didn't kill him. Moving on."
Apr 7, 2009 11:50 AM

Feb 2009
That old woman is something else! I begin to love that anime more and more!
Jun 10, 2009 1:34 AM

Oct 2007
The old shaman made me laugh. Being chased, and she was stepping in bat crap XD It's so funny that she was going to offer the bunny to that monster and they're both digusted and come out as charcoal poop.
Jun 16, 2009 11:52 PM

Nov 2007
lmao the adverntures of Shaman Torogai xD, what an interesting adventure but lmao what was thought to be charcoal oil was in actual fact ...

Seems Shuga is in a bit of trouble.
Jul 27, 2009 3:24 PM

Jun 2008
Well that was a surprise for Shuga to be betrayed.
Dec 14, 2009 11:51 PM

May 2008
Well, I guess if I'd have to be buried alive, a non-claustrophobic tomb would be the best way to go.
Mar 28, 2010 9:44 PM

Sep 2008
lol, is there such a thing? It's a hole in the ground with no light and no way out... I'd get claustrophia anyway. Especially since the only guy with a key is apparently quite willing to let him die. What the heck is that old guy up to???

I have my doubts about the Star Readers TRULY forgetting history. I think the old man knows exactly what's going on and wants to protect his position of power by keeping Shuga from telling anyone the true history of Shin-Yogo. Or maybe he's planning on overthrowing the mikado? I'm not really sure what exactly he's up to, but I'm certain that it is not a good thing.

Torogai's adventure was hilarious... running and digging through bat guano while being chased by a living flame and then getting swallowed whole by some strange creature after offering up her familiar as food first. lol... she's pretty spry, ain't she?

XD

As for Balsa and the newly-forged spear > I'm glad to see that it didn't really take 6 or 7 months for someone to realize that it was probably related to the "ultimate sword" that the swordsmith wished to forge. Balsa truly didn't want to kill Karbo and the spear managed to keep her from killing him even after she was forced to snap.

I don't really find it so surprising that she was able to come back to her sense when she was told the truth. Afterall most of her anger at the end of the episode was probably due to the fact that she broke her vow and took a life - discovering that she did NOT in fact kill anyone must have been a great relief for her and like the practical warrior she is, Balsa moves on rather quickly. She's around enough mystical and spiritual things to accept the surreal things in her world without too much question.
Jun 5, 2010 7:22 AM
Feb 2008
Torogai's little adventure was pretty amusing. Show has some pretty creative aspects running throughout
Jun 30, 2010 10:03 AM
Apr 2010
foltor said:
WTF?! At the end of E13, Balsa believes she's killed a man and basically snapped because of her vow not to kill which is a major characterization issue for her and has been half of the story drive of the entire series. Then in E14 she's just like, "Ho,hum. I guess I didn't kill him. Moving on."

Seems someone isn't keen on paying attention to what happens.At the same time she says
"Ho,hum. I guess I didn't kill him. Moving on." She said those 2 caught up with her and told her what happened.

Anyways,This episode was nice i think the head star reader knew that guy was down there >.< wonder how that's all going to play out.
Aug 2, 2010 8:06 PM

Jun 2009
The water world was amazing
Torogi's pet lol poor thing

Omg! the guards forgot the secret tome key
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 27, 2010 12:50 PM

Sep 2008
So apparently the teacher person did manage to catch Balsa and tell her that she didn't kill that crazy dude, but... she does acknowledge that she actually did intend to kill him, which is bad enough, isn't it?

I loved watching Torogai's whole adventure pan out. XD For someone who appears so old, yeah, she has spunk and is pretty fierce, haha. For some reason, I didn't even expect that there would be "fire people" to balance out the "water people"... Seems like it would be obvious but I never thought about it I guess~

So what's written in the Imperial Historic Records or whatever is a big fat lllliiiiieeee. And I bet that old guy - "His Holiness" - knows. He's the evil one, I say! Feel bad for Shuga, but apparently he gets out - as in the preview he seemed to be back out in the daylight? Looking forward to seeing the continuation, whee~~ :D
Sep 2, 2010 12:12 AM

May 2010
That was actually very fun.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 1, 2010 9:13 AM

Oct 2010
One more thing, Torogai's face after her storytelling caught me. My sister who wasn't into the series watched this whole episode with me and we both snickered for a good long time in that scene.

Seeing Chagum patting his stomach was pretty weird but I smiled at the same time.
Next episode was the one that received my first lament, sigh, better sleep and continue watching tomorrow.
Jan 4, 2011 9:14 AM

Oct 2009
Wow this was amazing! This universe is so mystical *-*
Great stuff!

Next episode Shuga gonna die? I hope NOT :\
Mar 7, 2012 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
Looks like Shuga is now trapped.
Jun 26, 2013 10:02 AM

Sep 2009
The old shaman is so coool! Lol :D
Hmmm,, what will happen to that star diviner now? ://
Jun 28, 2013 3:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Haha I love Torogai's story of what happened at the Knot. I was kind of grossed out when she was mixed in with the excrement x_x It was funny though when she tried to sacrifice her bunny thing to it. And then later when she tried to feed it food, the bunny was giving her the cold shoulder.

The water people (?) are interesting. Their body and lips looks similar to kappa.

No Shuga is trapped D: At least the two guards quickly closed it so that the Master Star Reader didn't find out that Shuga was reading the tablets. He and Torogai both learned in this episode that the egg inside Chagum isn't harmful at all, and that their country's history was fabricated. Loving all this mystery. Now how is Shuga going to get out of there without the key?
Feb 15, 2014 7:20 PM

Nov 2009
Shuga is boned now . . . The old dude simply took the key, so the guards can't just open it. Too bad they didn't realize that, things would have gone a lot smoother if they would close it up immediately after he entered and then re-open it at a later date (while keeping the key so that they could open it).
Jan 15, 2015 12:27 AM

Jan 2013
What a crazy adventure that was. Good episode as always, the mythology is still unclear to me.
Mar 17, 2015 1:40 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was quite interesting.

Torogai's story was funny. I got quite a few giggles out of it.

Uh oh. Shuga's in some deep shit...

Good episode.

7.5/10 Onto the next one!

Apr 29, 2015 2:07 PM

Nov 2010
Omg... someone make a gif or Torogai's pet refusing the food and while Torogai throws that pile at the end xD

Really fun and revealing episode! Hope Shuga will be okay.. ):
Sep 24, 2015 5:39 PM

Mar 2012
Man I love how this show sometimes feels like I'm watching a Ghibli film :) They should definitely make a spin-off about the misadventures of old shaman Torogai xD
Nov 10, 2015 8:38 PM
Oct 2014
Fionartan said:

As for Balsa and the newly-forged spear > I&#039;m glad to see that it didn&#039;t really take 6 or 7 months for someone to realize that it was probably related to the "ultimate sword" that the swordsmith wished to forge. Balsa truly didn&#039;t want to kill Karbo and the spear managed to keep her from killing him even after she was forced to snap.

I don&#039;t really find it so surprising that she was able to come back to her sense when she was told the truth. Afterall most of her anger at the end of the episode was probably due to the fact that she broke her vow and took a life - discovering that she did NOT in fact kill anyone must have been a great relief for her and like the practical warrior she is, Balsa moves on rather quickly. She&#039;s around enough mystical and spiritual things to accept the surreal things in her world without too much question.

Exactly everything I wanted to say :)
Nov 7, 2016 12:24 PM
Aug 2012
hope Shuga won't die....
Dec 29, 2016 4:54 AM

Apr 2009
This show's pacing is very slow.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2017 9:55 AM

Oct 2012
Torogai.. how? She's an old lady but that's not what an old lady can do
Run, swimming, holding breath for at least a min
Her pet, poor guy xD

Ofc there are villains that always want to ruin everything
Shuga is discovering the truth bit by bit
But Holy Sage don't want that apparently

"Signature removed"
Dec 10, 2017 2:22 PM
Jun 2014
This episode was honestly terrible. Someone has already mentioned it but the sudden change in balsa's character after she thought she killed that dude was really jarring. Yeah, she was told that he wasn't dead but I wasn't expecting her to believe it so easily and just say "Whatever happens, happens" (verbatim from the translation I watched).

This whole episode being torogai's trip back was just pointless. How did that move the story forward in any way?

This was essentially a filler episode.
Sep 26, 2018 3:02 AM

Sep 2011
So, as I hoped, Chagum isn't possessed by some "water demon" that will bring a major drought, but by a water spirit that will bring its blessings into this world, possibly saving it from the drought. Oh, there is also a demon/spirit/something called the "Egg Eater" that will try to kill Chagum, and it may be so fearsome that the water people said that Chagum is certainly going to die.

But this episode was really cool, Torogai got to the truth about the egg, though her talk with the water people was cut short, and she almost died trying to get away from there with it. It would be hard to defeat a fire spirit like that, not even Torogai was able to do much so I hope it won't appear again like this, it would be cool if it did though.

But well, the original founding history is false, and it was fabricated to consolidate the power of a few, but nowadays no one knows this at the court, maybe only the Holy Sage, but it's strange, if he does know it, why did he ask Shuga to translate the tome? Was he hoping to get rid of him from the start for some reason? Because well, Shuga also got a part of the truth with what he translated so far, and I think that his life is in danger now, with the next episode title it may be foolish to hope so, but I hope he won't die, at least not in vain.
Aug 28, 2019 6:18 AM

May 2015
Old hag got some moves. ;d
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 27, 2020 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
What a fun water-slide :)

Jan 21, 2021 7:46 AM

Jul 2017
This was another fascinating episode that focused once again, more on the fantasy side of the spectrum, especially surrounding Torogai and her communication with the water creatures of the spirit realm to find out more information about Chagum's state given the water egg is residing inside of him as she speaks. And as it turns out, the history that Shin-Yogo had built its foundations on was all a lie, and the water egg inside of Chagum is a spirit that would bring rain to Nayug and Sagu so it is more harmless than made out to be according to lore from the past (even Shuga finds out the truth by reading secret texts who was helped by wardens who also care deeply for Chagum and want to know the truth, even if it means defying the Holy Sage and the kingdom's history).

The sequence of her trying to find a way home was disgusting given she was essentially shat out by a Nayug worm while trying to escape and furthermore, landing in a tar pit which she was able to leave and recover from with the help of Balsa and Tanda later on. It was disgusting on paper, but the way the anime staff presented this in an almost-Ghibli like sequence was superbly and beautifully done. The anime staff even did well showing the flashback of Shin Yogo and how it came to be through its divine, historical artstyle that felt like calligraphy taking the shape of drawings.

On another note, it was also interesting when reflecting on the whole swordsmith conversation back in Episode 8, where it showcased how the swordsmith wanted to construct the ultimate blade, the weapon that could protect loved ones and fight others without killing or shedding blood, and how he knew that Balsa was worthy of such a blade when he forged a new spear for her. Given that spear and the mentality she showcased to subconsciously prevent herself from killing Karbo despite the intent at the very moment out of pure anger, it shows that the swordsmith maybe finally was able to construct the blade that shall not spill blood? Interesting callback there at least when considering Balsa figured out that she didn't break her vow via the teacher explaining Karbo's survival.
Sep 7, 2023 8:29 AM
Oct 2021
phenomenal world building. i'd like to see some more please
May 15, 8:42 PM

Apr 2016
Torogai, what a trip, huh, you would think Miyazaki is directing her life lol.

That last scene was so good.
Aug 22, 2:49 AM

Apr 2017
Tanda and Torogai really being in the fantasy elements of the show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.