Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2010 2:59 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thoma gave up on the searching of the orphans while they go to the mainland of this fictitious country. I forgot to say that the girl, named Helga, draws the same pictures that Serafine drew when she was alive. It also seems to be the place where the girl want to go. The poetry from the last episode was really some sort poetry, written by Hesse. There's some arguing about their mission and one of them declares that Palza (Conrad) has started an unbalance on the Earth with his discovery that eventually will lead to the apocalypse.

Meanwhile, a detective named Cooks investigates on the Béfort Children, the black-coated children, and his investigations lead him to an house where Agi lived until he was six. Or so it seems since Cooks has a century old photo which depicts the Béfort children exactly as they are today. At the same moment, the orphanage staff manages to corner Chitto and Helga but when they try to catch them the screen goes black. Cliffhanger! A pretty pointless one since they're eventually captured. Back to the orphanage and the director becomes even more strict and harsh towards Helga, which at the beginning could be seen as if he's worried about his job, but now it's just plain cruelty.

Thoma tries to go to his mom but he meets a boat breaking the speed limit with a man whose flashback tells us he's a scientist that made an experiment that went wrong. At the orphanage, they decide to transfer Chitto into another institute, but the boat crashes over the scientist boat, allowing Chitto to escape. He's rescued by Thoma, and they decide to rescue Helga. Also the same night, a huge boat comes to the island in which Thoma lives to ask something to his father, who knows nothing and they leave. So much for an information!

Again a pretty decent episode but still nothig revealing or new in the air. 4/5
Arashi89May 18, 2010 10:38 AM
Feb 25, 2012 12:14 AM

Jul 2007
Another great episode, its obvious their is a connection between Helga and Serafine. Still so many things are confusing. I'll just keep watching though.

Now their is a new plot thread introduced with some criminal on the loose trying to escape.

Jul 23, 2014 7:32 AM

May 2012
The pacing is still a bit slow but it's not too bad, let's see what will happen next and if they can find Helga!
Mar 10, 2015 1:24 AM

Jul 2008
So Helga is Tina/Serafine? More and more questions keep coming up. We need some answers soon.
Oct 15, 2017 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
i was thinking about it and it was really spooky how the detective gave the photograph of the befort children... it got me thinking, what if there were children like this who got their photograph taken in the 18th century? (and yes.. just nearly the 18th century as it was 1901) as in, what if children like them with white hair and blue eyes were some sort of edwardian era enigma that popped up periodically in.. say france or england? children that simply travelled everywhere in search of something and seemingly did not age nor die? i'm not saying it might be, because i don't think there is but it would certainly be very thought provoking. it's not comforting at all to be writing this...

*shakes shoulders* anyways. yet another grand episode. the director messing up helga's hair was lowkey disturbing, like he's ruffling her hair as if it's an affectionate gesture however there's obviously some sort of ill intent masked under it since he overdoes it to the point where her hair is sticking up in all directions. that gaslighting too, telling an easily influenced and mistreated orphaned girl that she was responsible for her best (if not only) friend falling into the sea. possibly dead for all she knows, by that weeping! f you, you corrupted director.
Mar 1, 2019 6:17 PM

Nov 2016
I really enjoy the mix of mystery and adventure so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 12, 2020 4:22 PM

Apr 2015
This is the first episode I really enjoyed. Which, i'm not sure if that's just because I was in a mood possibly the last two episodes, or if it's because I haven't seen an anime in a few days, or if it's because this episode was just better.

I think it's nice to finally see an episode that isn't just extremely convoluted setup. Even if it was cool to see how many crazy things could happen in the narrative in the last two episodes, a lot of it was watching generic characters do things, just with the background of those events being interesting. Now it's generic characters doing things, but at least the plot is moving forward!
observing a woman's body
Jan 1, 2021 1:55 PM

Feb 2012
We learned from the detective that most of the missing children disappeared when they were around 5 years old. This suggests that if they're reincarnated 100 years after death, they'd have died around the same time. Whether that's because of some natural limit (certain age) or all being caught is of course a mystery. Also, they disappeared in 2006 and the present year is 2012, so they would all now be 11 years old and were born in 2001. So the previous selves would have died in 1901, the same year we saw that fight against shadows happening.
Nov 29, 2022 7:25 AM

Nov 2021
Undoubtedly, I find the atmosphere of this series to be right up my alley. The music is just as wondrously captivating as the mysterious side of the anime plot.
Jun 30, 2023 9:58 PM

Jan 2021
As much as I'm enjoying the slow mystery of this series, coming off the back of Mai-HiME, which I conciser to be a relatively faster paced show, into this really makes its slowness stand out more than it should.
Very roughly they seem to put a heavier focus on the children in the first half of each episode so far, and on the present day children and Helga in the second half. So far we've seen minimal cross over, and the way that the kids react makes me think that once they hit that age threshold they are doing everything they can to avoid interacting with others. The comments from the big nose kid who's name I do not know makes me think that they do this to avoid advancing technology or giving things away, but I wonder what they are so afraid of happening?
The visual of the empty swing with a toy on it in the blank space potentially tied into this as well, the isolation that they feel of leaving their families each time knowing what pain that will bring them. The framing and perspective on that shot was particularly well done, the swing looking so close and distant at the same time. Eerie.
The headpat from that orphanage director got creepy real quick, but it was the appearance of the suits hunting down that man that caught me off guard. Are they Dumas' people again? We got hints that the man they are hunting was involved in some sort of experiment with radiation and his brain which makes me wonder what he discovered that has him so terrified and also hunted.
Sep 7, 2023 12:06 PM

Dec 2022
The best episode yet. It still loads up on the mystery, but the procedure of events is more cohesive and relevant towards an overall narrative. Even the curious aging and presumed reincarnation of the children is given more clarity here. The only major introduced anomaly is the moustache guy speeding on a boat. I assume he's just some geriatric dullard who wandered off and stole a boat without knowing how to drive it, but this anime wouldn't introduce an event like that without an additional meaning either.

This episode also indirectly brings up the problem with shipping kids off to shady and untrustworthy orphanages. No wonder Helga tried to escape. She didn't want to be there to begin with.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Sep 1, 4:43 PM
Sep 2022
Still getting into the show, it's different than the others I tend to watch. I find some of the plot a bit confusing and the whole story about what is going on is just not obvious, and almost painfully so, it's a slow roll for a reveal - but I think I'll keep coming back to figure it out.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 1 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

22 by dragynfaerie »»
Jan 15, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 25 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Mar 13, 2012

5 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:28 AM

» The best anime of all time - It's a bummer how few people know about it

MyllerPhiem - Apr 2, 2022

15 by MyllerPhiem »»
Dec 3, 2023 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 2 Discussion

Arashi89 - May 18, 2010

12 by KitsuFrost »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Fantastic Children Episode 24 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 7, 2009

25 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 8, 2023 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.