Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2010 11:35 AM
May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Assuming Tatsumi stays as a coach for quite a while, he will be able to mold Tsubaki into a great captain. Until then, though, Tsubaki is still a pretty raw player, being as young as he is. He's got all the skills, all the traits, but he needs to sort out his confidence issues.

With that being said, the reffing was horrible. The slide on Tsubaki didn't even come close to touching the ball, and most top-level refs would have seen Mochida's dive.

Anyway, looking forward to see what Tatsumi is going to say during half time.
Apr 25, 2010 10:52 PM

Dec 2008
I get the feeling that by the series end Tsubaki will have developed into the league's or at least ETU's star player. as expected Gino raeped in this episode, and ETUs goalie blows. The matches seem like they will be very interesting, I was worried they would use too much of the 3d elements like in the opening.

btw this opening is addicting and awesome, bag-pipes ftw
Apr 25, 2010 11:17 PM

May 2009
Tsubaki's potential is scary, but he's soooo green. Made it easy for beady-eyed Mochida to bait him into that phantom foul. Having the episode stop mid-game is tough...all that waiting...
Apr 25, 2010 11:24 PM

Jun 2009
Oh the unfairness of football...

Work on that damn field positioning Deen, it's poor and confusing.
Apr 26, 2010 1:00 AM

Jun 2009
What is with the officiating? Was I just watching Italian football?

Tsubaki reminds me of Theo Walcott with that speed...will definitely cause problems for the opposition. Just needs to get his confidence issue undercontrol.
Apr 26, 2010 1:14 AM

May 2008
The Ref is so biased =/

1-1 there is still hope!

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 26, 2010 2:21 AM

Jan 2009
i hope the read team wins
Apr 26, 2010 4:44 AM

Apr 2010
This ep was good but the drama with tsubaki was kinda weird.
Apr 26, 2010 5:01 AM

Jul 2009
Now, this is how anime about football should be made. They show us a good match here, although the referee is too biased. Tatsumi is like the combination of Mourinho and Wenger, A good tactician and a good mentor for the youth player.

Really looking forward for the 2nd half.
Apr 26, 2010 5:30 AM

Feb 2009
Mochida is definitely Italian. Yep, no doubt about it.

Great episode and this is the second time that I get trolled by a preview.
Apr 26, 2010 6:12 AM

Jan 2010
Good episode but the reffing was bad .. (-_-)
Apr 26, 2010 7:28 AM

Feb 2009
Tsubaki is like Sena from ES21. He has a lot of potential(and speed?), just needs some confidence in himself. Despite Gino having some attitude problems, he's really good. That referee is biased but there's no helping it.

Nice episode.
4/5
belatkuroApr 26, 2010 7:32 AM
Apr 26, 2010 7:51 AM

Jan 2009
this episode rocks... am I the only one who can relate to Tsubaki? confidence issues ruining the game, I thought that happens to everyone, although it's not with soccer in my case... I even cried manly tears...

since the episode made an impact on my emotion (which rarely happens)
ima give this 10/10
Apr 26, 2010 8:54 AM

Feb 2009
Alexstratz said:

Haha, it sure looks like it but it's ETU members who are wearing Rossoneri jerseys.

This the first time in a long long time since I've enjoyed a sports anime. I was traumatized by the memories of Captain Tsubasa and the likes of it but this one is so far a good anime.

Apr 26, 2010 9:00 AM

Dec 2007
The referee was a lame motherfucker, otherwise, this episode was ace.

Tsubaki is a great character.
Apr 26, 2010 10:05 AM
Jul 2008
Great episode. This show really knows how to build up the atmosphere.
Gino was awesome.
Apr 26, 2010 10:11 AM

Feb 2008
kokuro said:

This the first time in a long long time since I've enjoyed a sports anime. I was traumatized by the memories of Captain Tsubasa and the likes of it but this one is so far a good anime.

+1, football animes like whistle and Aoki Densetsu Shoot! always left me scarred bye how badly they depicted football but this anime seems to do at least try to do a relative good job in it.

However, kind of hate how Tsubaki got a yellow card for an unexcisting foul, while it should be Mochida who should've been booked red for kicking someone deliberately with no ball in range. Those fouls are unexcisting cause even if the refs or his assistans don't catch it, you'll risk a suspension purely based on camera footage.

And I also agree with the ref dissing, that ref should be suspended and forced to whistle in some minor leagues cause he defenitely doesn't whistle on pro lvl. Great series so far but I certainly hope we don't encounter to much scum / dirty players like Mochida cause I don't hope the author thinks he's the equivalent of a smart player using his experience.
Apr 26, 2010 10:57 AM

Apr 2010
Everyone is upset by the ref but that just goes to show how well we're getting drawn into the world.

If Tsubaki could take some of Gino's confidence ETU would be left with two amazing players.
Apr 26, 2010 12:42 PM

Oct 2007
asdf1248 said:
Assuming Tatsumi stays as a coach for quite a while, he will be able to mold Tsubaki into a great captain.
LOL Tsubaki as captain? Do you even know why exactly Tatsumi went as far as to make Gino as a captain?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 26, 2010 1:10 PM

Dec 2007
KYAAAA Tsubaki <3
Gino plays so elegantly.
Can't wait for ep 5.
Apr 26, 2010 1:23 PM
Dec 2007
As expected, the game sequences are not realistic and not even that entertaining. Then again, I have yet to see an anime that depicts football in-game correctly. I guess it's much easier to do an accurate baseball match (Oofuri being almost perfect in that regard) than a football one.

Well, the players are interesting and the main character's the manager anyway, so it's not like if everything was related to in-game play, so I'll still enjoy Giant Killing for what it is, a totally fictional show about a young manager trying to make his team a top-tier one. I was not too fond of the Tsubaki mushy drama scenes in the episode though. You can't sacrifice at least twelve years of your youth playing all day and miss a normal school life, bet everything on your passion, become a pro player and in the end still be unsure about your football or crumble under the tiniest amount of pressure (come on, unable to TRAIN properly). It's simply not logical. Having played at a national level when I was small and having some friends who are pro players now, I can tell you it never happens like that.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 26, 2010 5:53 PM

Apr 2010
Gino is the best chuck out the rest
Apr 26, 2010 6:38 PM
Oct 2007
Jacut said:
Well, the players are interesting and the main character's the manager anyway, so it's not like if everything was related to in-game play, so I'll still enjoy Giant Killing for what it is, a totally fictional show about a young manager trying to make his team a top-tier one. I was not too fond of the Tsubaki mushy drama scenes in the episode though. You can't sacrifice at least twelve years of your youth playing all day and miss a normal school life, bet everything on your passion, become a pro player and in the end still be unsure about your football or crumble under the tiniest amount of pressure (come on, unable to TRAIN properly). It's simply not logical. Having played at a national level when I was small and having some friends who are pro players now, I can tell you it never happens like that.

In a sense, I agree with you about Tsubaki. But my impression was that before he made it into ETU, a pro team, he was rarely able to make the cut. And so, I think he questions whether if that wasn't just luck. Also, as a new pro player, I can understand why he's so intimidated by the more experienced pro players.

Tsubaki is obviously a very hard worker and passionate about his .. passion .. but that doesn't necessarily equate confidence. I think confidence is built on having succeeded and from what I could tell, Tsubaki has yet to "succeed".
Apr 26, 2010 8:49 PM

Aug 2008
What can I say? Another really good episode that hit a lot of different levels in a way that made me feel as though time flew by. I remember when I would say flat out, "I don't like sports anime." I can't really say that anymore. Giant Killing is yet another sports show that I find entertaining in all the ways I find watching real sports unappealing.

And as far as Tsubaki is concerned, I don't know anything about soccer, but seeing people choke regardless of their talent isn't as rare as you'd think. Some people just need to constantly be reminded of the progress they've made/continue to make to jump the hurdles in front of them. He gets caught up in his head too much. I empathize, though, so maybe that's it.
Apr 26, 2010 10:38 PM

Aug 2008
Told you so... that Pathetic stupid lame Mochida is the most despicable character so far.... taking advantage of the situation the way he did it... He's like a frucking weasel... Grrrr.... simulating the foul was the worst... But let's face it the referee is not in his day... missing a crystal clear foul on Tsubaki and inventing the one on Mochida and givin' Tsubaki the Yellow Card... Dude that guy is impossible... I guess the Japanese referees are always like that.... Thank goodness Mex dun has that kind of problems often xD

Tsubaki Tsubaki, Baki... oh he reminds me lots of people... But as someone already said, Sena Kobayashi from Eyeshield 21 is the one who is like Tsubaki.... The confidence... and it's true... without confidence ou pretty much do nothing.... and so it happened to Tsubaki... but give him a little push... make him realize he can... and just see at what he's able to do! Man Tsubaki is awesome... RAW RAW RAW but a nice player.... I hope he grows to be the star of the Team... after all there's a reason why Tatsumi gave Tsubaki the number 7... that number he used... that mystic number....

Oh and Gino... he's awesome... yet again, another guy that Tatsumi has to give a little push to squish out the best from him... looked at what he did? The best of the best... Well done well done... 1 -1 huh.... looks like the game will get hotter! XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2010 7:34 AM

May 2008
Nice episode again.

dam that seemed short D:
want more.

I kinda like gino's character XD
Apr 27, 2010 8:19 AM

Jul 2009
Gino is awesome, everyone else needs to man up and play normal football (soccer) like he does.
Apr 27, 2010 5:14 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed the episode well enough, but bringing out cheating already is pretty lame. I really hope it's getting it out of the way early rather than a sign of things to come because it's just aggravating and not that interesting outside special situations like One Outs.

Gino is really weirdly likable, especially given his nickname and the way he's regarded by the other characters. I certainly wouldn't mind him as the main, but there's no way a sports anime can have a foreigner as the star, so it's all too Japanese Tsubaki to the front. I don't mind that he's riding on one maxed out stat. That worked fine for Hajime no Ippo. I just want him to get some personality quick.
Apr 27, 2010 6:48 PM

Dec 2008
I really like Tsubaki for some reason. I found his little self-practice flashback by himself to be cute.

I like this show for some reason.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Apr 27, 2010 10:51 PM

Jul 2008
wow, it seems that tsubaki just suffers anxiety attacks whenever he play in front of people
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 28, 2010 9:57 AM

May 2008
Epic episode and Gino was hilarious messing with Miku... Really I've never been enertained by a sports anime like this before. I enjoyed every second~~
Poor Tsubaki, but it seems he managed to overcome his nervousness... 5/5
Apr 29, 2010 3:57 AM

Oct 2007
Good episode, Gino's shooting stance was awesome and pretty realistic compared to how other football animes have shown.
The only prob i had with this episode was that they didnt show how awesome Tsubaki shots were in practise like it did in the manga, all it showed was the ball entering the net >.>
Apr 30, 2010 2:04 AM

Aug 2007
rebwaters said:
Told you so... that Pathetic stupid lame Mochida is the most despicable character so far.... taking advantage of the situation the way he did it... He's like a frucking weasel... Grrrr.... simulating the foul was the worst... But let's face it the referee is not in his day... missing a crystal clear foul on Tsubaki and inventing the one on Mochida and givin' Tsubaki the Yellow Card... Dude that guy is impossible... I guess the Japanese referees are always like that.... Thank goodness Mex dun has that kind of problems often xD

Bio said:
I enjoyed the episode well enough, but bringing out cheating already is pretty lame.

Mochida is despicable? Cheating? LOL... That wasn't despicable, actually it was a clever move in that situation against the inexperienced Tsubaki. Yeah not fair, but it's normal in team sports. These guys want to win so they should do everything they can <.<
Apr 30, 2010 4:23 PM

Nov 2009
^^ Don't worry the good guys never cheat and the bad guys get what they deserve in the very end.
On that note, i have to say i was sort of excited during this episode. While i can agree that Tsubaki seems to be portrayed with 'animal legs' since they make it seem like he is running 50mph down the field. As typically happens we only saw 5 total players actually play and make moves; not including those useless goalies. =P
Glad it didn't fit the whole game in one episode while, at the same time, not making it too slow.
Good ep.
May 2, 2010 3:48 AM

Jun 2008
rebwaters said:

I feel like you people know nothing about football. Mochida's trick to give Tsubaki a yellow card and take a foul close to the enemy goal-boast doesn't make him evil. It makes him a damn smart player.
The anime tried to make it like something evil but football players fall down trying to win fouls all the time. Is part of the game.

I must say am kind of disappointed by the way the match is shown. They don't really manage to show how the game is being played. It will probably need further away camera views to get a more sense but it seems they can't to that. Also they just show players magically appearing, Like Tsubaki coming from the back. It would have been nice if a bigger shot could show us how exactly he moves and how they are able to play the one two all the time with Italian guy.
I guess it's hard for them and they will concentrate simply on the emotion, their faces and a few explanations.
Anyway it's still fun but i wanted something more.
May 2, 2010 4:06 AM
Jun 2008
I love to see Gino more!!!!
He never even sweat a bit during the game ^^ Really a fitting name as a prince.
May 2, 2010 5:27 AM

Dec 2009
so far i quite like this show. i think it must be difficult to portray a football match perfectly, and i think they are trying to make this show get a broader target group and so they focused on the key persons like tsubaki, gino and mochida. (i dont know how it s like in the manga, it s just my thought)
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
May 5, 2010 9:03 AM

Jan 2010
Alexstratz said:

Pretty sure they said he's on the Japanese National Team.
Sep 15, 2010 7:30 PM
Jun 2010
Gino reminds me of Atobe from Prince of Tennis. lol

The opponent coach looks like Hitler
Oct 3, 2010 12:49 AM

Aug 2010
In the first episode, it showed Tatsumi talking to the kids and him watching all those discs, but I am still surprised at how much research he has actually done. He knew about everyone on his team even Gino, he knew all about Tsubaki's past, and he even knew detailed information about the other teams players, such as Miku's pride.
Oct 30, 2010 4:34 AM

Apr 2009
whew looks like I was wrong, nice episode :D
Oct 30, 2010 2:31 PM

Aug 2009
Mochida's good at the faking. I wanna pop out his eyes.

Gino's going good and Tsubaki is a darling.
Tatsumi, make them win this one.

I hope the match finishes within the next episode.
Aug 25, 2012 10:39 AM

Dec 2008
The supporters' chants are just like real life football supporters' chants. Pretty nice.
Aug 12, 2013 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
ugh what sleazy opponents. forcing a foul wow.

btw gino's kick was beautiful k?

overall, good episode

szugioh said:
If Tsubaki could take some of Gino's confidence ETU would be left with two amazing players.

True
Apr 25, 2015 6:52 AM

Aug 2013
"Football" and "injustice" are the two halves of an apple.
Dec 2, 2015 7:10 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Didn't Mochida purposely kick Tsubaki in the leg right before Tsubaki stepped up his game on the first goal?

And damn, Mochida's eyes look like he's all high. Hat him already, diving like he got fouled real hard. Hopefully Tsubaki doesn't crumble. This is the perfect time for ETU to gain confidence.

Dec 15, 2015 4:38 AM

Jan 2010
so this is one anime full of cliffhangers haha

4/5 it's nice to see Tsubaki in action
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 17, 2017 1:29 AM

Jan 2015
Strange that no one mention about the great BGM there. One of the rare animes that i have fun re-watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI_zwzAH1FY

It's better in the anime though.
ColonelRVHJun 17, 2017 1:34 AM
Aug 17, 2020 6:53 PM

Dec 2007
great episode and great tactic by tatsumi, though it's seems he will have to change tactics more.

i understand tsubaki going to be the highlight of the series but that tsubaki scene in the middle of the game kinda ruined the excitement, i understand it's essential for tsubaki's development but they could rush it a little more.

oh and that mochida is one big asshole, hope someone will do the same for him with that yellow card, and break his leg along it.
May 27, 3:52 PM

Jun 2022
Amusing , That Was Amusing . Give A Satisfying Response!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheRealNeji - Sep 5, 2010

52 by Revillo_Phoenix »»
Jul 30, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alexstratz - Sep 26, 2010

76 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 25 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Sep 19, 2010

45 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 24 Discussion

starrysky - Sep 12, 2010

46 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 22 Discussion

BlackListHunter - Aug 29, 2010

40 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 4:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.