Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 2010 1:38 PM
Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Enter Gino! I'm loving our new captain XD
Apr 18, 2010 7:14 PM
May 2009
I don't like Gino that much, personally, though he may change on me. All I see right now is a showy character who can only pass the ball well. If they send someone fast and hardworking to mark him, he'd disappear from the game. My guess is that the coach is going to make him work on his fitness.

And all Tsubaki needs is more confidence in his own abilities.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the next episode!!

EDIT: Incidentally, I already feel like buying an ETU jersey!
Apr 19, 2010 7:46 AM
Sep 2009
Episode 3 subs are out !
Apr 19, 2010 7:49 AM

Dec 2008
damn Im unexpectedly enjoying this show a lot, I think soccer is very boring to watch but this is is one of the better shows this season. Gino was awesome in this episode.
Apr 19, 2010 8:51 AM

Mar 2009
Tatsumi is such a fun jerk. Gino, on the other hand, is suitably annoying and arrogant.
Poor Murakoshi. He put in so many years of effort towards his team, but he keeps getting shamed. I agree with the coach that a player shouldn't be worrying about all the things he did, but I want to see him engaging in real teamwork now that he's been removed by Tatsumi/removed himself from the pseudo-coach position.
Apr 19, 2010 9:11 AM

Oct 2007
asdf1248 said:
I don't like Gino that much, personally, though he may change on me. All I see right now is a showy character who can only pass the ball well. If they send someone fast and hardworking to mark him, he'd disappear from the game. My guess is that the coach is going to make him work on his fitness.
I agree with him being a showy character and hopefully he would change a little later. BUT I disagree about him being just a player who can pass the ball well. I believe there are people beside me can say that he has the leadership and skills more than enough to be a great captain.

Next episode is going to be a chance for this show to shine even more now, hopefully.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 19, 2010 11:38 AM

May 2007
I'm not really the biggest football fan out there, but I'm really looking forward to the next match.

Apr 19, 2010 11:57 AM

May 2007
Episode 03 was fun and judging from the preview, it looks like the match finishes in the next episode and kinda looks like

Darn....got to wait for another week after getting all pumped up for the ETU Vs. Tokyo Victory match. :rolleyes:

You know when the series goes "CGI", the players look like they're from Pro Evo (aka Winning Eleven)......I wonder if Konami are helping in the production of this series. :D

Really digging the OP as well. :lol:
Apr 19, 2010 1:38 PM
May 2008
Episode 3

Another cool episode! I love the way Tatsu’s brain works, it’s so unconventional and smart.

The best way to test a team is to remove its leader; if the team works well even without its leader then the team is in top shape.

Gino…he sure is an interesting character and finding out he is the new Captain was a cool surprise. I think one of the reasons Tatsu chose him as the Captain is because of the effect he had on the other players and because of his strategy when playing soccer, he plays it in a smart way.

Another character I’m growing fond of his Baki. He is our little diamond in the rough. Young Tsubaki has a lot of potential and I can’t wait to see him get better and better with each episode,
Apr 19, 2010 2:10 PM

Sep 2007
I already hate the bald guy ...
I hope he will be better. :/
Apr 19, 2010 2:39 PM

Apr 2009
Haha, Gino's awesome! I hope they don't change his personality, his arrogant self-assuredness is not over-the-top (for me at least) and he knows what he's doing; he deserves the captaincy spot :)
"Don't believe in the you that believes in me. Don't believe in the me that believes in you. Believe in the you that believes in yourself."
Apr 19, 2010 3:06 PM
Dec 2007
Even though not much happened, it was quite the good episode, mainly thanks to the conceited new captain Gino and Tatsumi's usual character. Made me look forward to the Inter/Barca and Bayern/Lyon matches ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 19, 2010 7:27 PM

Apr 2010
lmao Gino is a pro
Apr 19, 2010 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
so Gino is like Captain Tsubasa eh? an awesome passer cant wait for the next episode
Apr 19, 2010 10:47 PM

Aug 2008
Hahaha yeah!! Just as I expected it to be... So far we have more episode until the anime probably catches up with the available Scanlated chapters of the manga.... or maybe two but that would be simply wasting an episode.... whatever the way it is, I'm quite impressed of the anime cause it really has something almost every soccer Anime/Manga doesn't have... Realistic interaction between the teammates and more importantly Interaction between the manager and the players and between the manager and the fans... That sandy blonde spiked guy looks like he's the one who really wants to destoy Tatsumi... but obviously Tatsumi really avoids to be affected but such trivial things and simply does his work analyzing the best of his boys and building the best team available for the Pre-Season Match against the Bi-Champ.....

That team is really interesting, as you'll see next episode, that guy who spoke is really hate-able.... he's one of the worst I've seen so far...

@to the one who wanna buy the ETU Jersey.... Buy a Milan one! LOL... ETU's uniform really looks like AC Milan's XD

Regarding Gino... Luigi Yoshida.... Hmmmm I like him... he might have that cocky facade but he actually has similar leadership skills as Murakoshi.... And well Murakoshi is simply awed of all the things that have happened so far, that's why he hasn't talk imo, but looks like the things will get more awesome next epi... I already wanna see tha match between Tokyo Victory and the ETU! XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2010 11:22 PM

Jun 2009
Probably the most underrated anime this season. Well, I guess sports anime is not for everyone ei?!

I'm quite surprised that I would like this after my first impression on this. I thought I might give the first episode a try but it turned out to be one that I would be looking out this season. Kinda cliche if they lose to the champs by a narrow defeat in the next episode because most of the time that always happen in sporty anime but still looking forward to the match.
Apr 19, 2010 11:48 PM

Jun 2009
-Quasar said:
Probably the most underrated anime this season. Well, I guess sports anime is not for everyone ei?!
I have to agree. When I first learned about this anime I figured, I like football so I'll give it a try....won't get my hopes up too much and expect something brilliant. But it really has been going very well, I'm surprised.

Interested how Gino takes on the captaincy role and if that will spark some tension between him and Murakoshi.

And I think we know who will be taking the set pieces for ETU.
Apr 20, 2010 1:13 AM
Apr 20, 2010 4:24 AM

Feb 2009
Ah dammit, I can't wait for the first match. :D

Apr 20, 2010 6:05 AM

May 2009
I just decided to try this, and it turned out to become my favourite this season, alongside Oofuri.
Really looking forward to next episode.

Gino is awesome, probably my favourite character so far. I just like cool arrogant characters with a smart way of playing. He may be slightly lazy, but he's the type to really take control of a game with his overview. But the main reason Tatsumi made him captain is to have the opponent be drawn to him and give the rest of the players more room, I guess.
Very fitting voice actor, too. He sounds exactly like I imagined him to sound in the manga.

JCDRANZER said:
You know when the series goes "CGI", the players look like they're from Pro Evo (aka Winning Eleven)......I wonder if Konami are helping in the production of this series. :D

So I wasn't the only one thinking that. I get that feeling especially when watching the OP.
CeskaApr 20, 2010 6:32 AM

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Apr 20, 2010 6:18 AM

May 2008
Woots the match is about to start yea!

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 20, 2010 6:19 AM

Dec 2007
I want to make babies with Tatsumi.
Apr 20, 2010 9:46 AM

Dec 2007
rarri said:
I want to make babies with Tatsumi.

Me too.

And damn, this Yoshida guy looks so lol promising.
Tsubaki is so nice and cute >:
Apr 20, 2010 11:04 AM

Oct 2007
And people has already started putting spoiler?
Thanks you!!! Really really thank you for that UNWANTED extra.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 20, 2010 1:28 PM

May 2008
I love this show and I'm quite curious what will happen in the match...feeling some epicness...
Apr 20, 2010 3:36 PM

Apr 2009
For some reason I'm liking the goalie. Hopefully he will get to play a bigger role since he is the oldest player. I'm guessing for the next match, ETU will lose due to a screw up by Tsubaki.
Apr 20, 2010 4:34 PM

Jul 2008
gino seems really good, but he seems to arrogant to be successful on a large scale
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 20, 2010 5:21 PM

Aug 2009
I dislike Gino a lot right now, pompous and arrogant, but I agree that he makes a very suitable captain based on what we've seen. So I don't mind him being captain, although I'll continue to dislike him unless his personality changes.

I didn't expect to enjoy this anime as much as I have been. These have been a great first three episodes. I'm probably in the extreme minority with this but it's shaping up to be my anime of the season.
Apr 20, 2010 6:53 PM

May 2008
I wonder what the result is going to be in the end,...
Gino i mean prince as captain, i knew it.
Apr 20, 2010 7:28 PM

Nov 2009
Was weird to have the character introduced earlier in the same episode become the captain, but he certainly has the leadership skills for it. I still dislike Gino's guts though.

Although now we have gone into the actual games, which signals very predictable results. Lets hope the team continues to have plenty of problems for episodes to come so it can stay this good.
Apr 20, 2010 8:07 PM

Dec 2009
Daisuke Ono as Gino, nice pick lol
Apr 20, 2010 9:46 PM

Jul 2009
I pretty much confident that tsubaki will be the next captain after watching eps 2. But, my guess is wrong XD.

Looks likes Gino will be the indisipliner player in this anime. Well, even in real life, many good footballer tend to be indisipliner, so it's okay for me.

I'm looking forward for the next match, but i think they will lose the match. A typical result in sports anime.
Apr 20, 2010 10:48 PM

Aug 2008
Pshh, what's not to like about Gino? He's on a lame team, and he's easily the most together person. He's earned his smarminess, though, I totally expect him to work harder with a serious coach heading everything. The real annoying guy was Renji (oops, I just watched Bleach). He needed to kill himself.

This was yet another really good episode that never had a dull moment. One of the best shows of the season.
Apr 20, 2010 11:19 PM
Jul 2008
Is it me or is Takeshi getting to be even more of a cool character with every episode?
I love it.

This ep, had a great pace, tension and resolve.
Can't wait to see the next match.

Gino is annoying, but he's awesome so I forgive him.
Apr 21, 2010 5:38 AM

Feb 2009
bottle said:

+1
For someone who at first glance you would dislike turned out to be likeable, but only a bit. He can cover his proud and smug attitude with his skills. I expect he'll get some attitude adjustment from Tatsumi in future episodes.

noteDhero said:
The real annoying guy was Renji (oops, I just watched Bleach). He needed to kill himself.

Knew I heard his voice from somewhere...this made me laugh. He wasn't as annoying as he looks to be but he needs to grow up.

This show really is underrated, maybe because of Oofuri and Major. Tatsumi really is interesting. He sees the potential in the players and lets them develop by themselves, with some guidance from him. Wonder how their match will turn out. Tsubaki needs to step up his game now.
Apr 21, 2010 4:44 PM

Oct 2009
First sports anime for me and its surprised me with how engaging its been from the beginning!

The next couple episodes will help me decide whether I'll see it through.. but it seems likely ^^

Takeshi is awesome, and Gino is just a wise guy.. lol @ perfect shot.
Apr 23, 2010 3:39 AM
Mar 2009
The next match is going to be epic. Does anyone love the opening of this show. It is like a mixture of Japanese, Irish, Pop, Rock, Punk.
Apr 23, 2010 1:06 PM

Jan 2010
Gino is the man. Wears number 10 and plays like a traditional playmaker, what's not to like? And wow is this catching up to the available manga we have quickly.
Apr 24, 2010 3:06 AM

Jun 2008
OMG! Gino is so much like some cocky Italian football players it's frightening. The moment i saw him i thought this guy must be Italian.
The attitude, the women, the boredom of training and the perfect ball control along with a way to make other listen, just perfect. I bet he drives a convertible.

Well now the first much is starting and although a friendly one it's interesting since it's the first time we are gonna see them play.
The only thing am wondering is that if they win then what the hell to we need to watch since that team is the last year champions? If they can beat one of the top teams from now then what the heck is it left to watch?
It's not like Asia has a decent alternative to champions league, since there continent is full of countries with low level football. Russian teams are probably the best we can get.
Apr 25, 2010 10:44 AM
May 2009
Monad said:
It's not like Asia has a decent alternative to champions league, since there continent is full of countries with low level football.

There's always the AFC Champions League and the Intercontinental Cup x).
Apr 26, 2010 6:14 AM
Mar 2010
wtf? this series was underrated!
May 1, 2010 12:41 AM

Dec 2009
JLeaber said:
damn Im unexpectedly enjoying this show a lot, I think soccer is very boring to watch but this is is one of the better shows this season. Gino was awesome in this episode.

^^
May 10, 2010 10:32 AM
IntrovertAce

Jul 2008
bottle said:

I was kinda surprised about that XD
I don't really like Gino but anyways I think he's gonna be a great captain :D
Jun 2, 2010 6:37 AM
Dec 2007
An enjoyable episode because of the focus on character and team interactions, rather than a reliance on smart tricks and sport cliches.

Already after only 3 episodes you can feel the tectonics shifting, and Tatsumi has a refreshing managerial approach. Gino seems to be an interesting character, and his promotion to captain is a smart move, I think him and Tatsumi are similar characters and it will be good to see how their relationship develops and whether they can develop a mutual respect for each other.

4/5
Oct 3, 2010 12:06 AM

Aug 2010
My favorite part of Tatsumi's character is his confidence, yet at the same time, his modesty. He intentionally gets the team to disagree and argue and then guarantees a minimum of a tie against a team that has made it to nationals two years in a row. I like how he never brags though. If I were him, I would bring up what I accomplished in England whenever the players doubted me.
Oct 30, 2010 4:05 AM

Apr 2009
something tells me, they're going to loose horribly
Oct 30, 2010 1:54 PM

Aug 2009
OnoD hell yeah!
But Tatsumi wins every episode.

I didn't expect to enjoy this show so much.
Apr 13, 2013 8:36 PM
Jan 2012
Good anime. Not super powers.
I watched captain tsubasa in the past. Great diferent.
I see this anime that's for soccer other perspective.
Aug 12, 2013 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
Loving Gino. He's so cocky and arrogant but he's hilarious. It's good that he got captaincy instead of the other guy. I'm disliking the bald/Kuro guy. Annoying.

Finally this anime is enjoyable now. 4/5

schroedernoah said:
My favorite part of Tatsumi's character is his confidence, yet at the same time, his modesty. He intentionally gets the team to disagree and argue and then guarantees a minimum of a tie against a team that has made it to nationals two years in a row. I like how he never brags though. If I were him, I would bring up what I accomplished in England whenever the players doubted me.

Agreed.
Sep 4, 2014 6:36 PM

Apr 2014
Tsubaki is so cute.
Yoshida/Gino reminds me of Atobe hah. He's not bad, I kinda like him actually.

I'm not familiar with football, so I wouldn't know but is the jersey number 7 representative of the ace? Like how #1 in baseball is for the ace pitcher? And I'm guessing number 10 is for the captain?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheRealNeji - Sep 5, 2010

52 by Revillo_Phoenix »»
Jul 30, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alexstratz - Sep 26, 2010

76 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 25 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Sep 19, 2010

45 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 24 Discussion

starrysky - Sep 12, 2010

46 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 22 Discussion

BlackListHunter - Aug 29, 2010

40 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 4:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.