Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2022 10:09 AM
May 2018
It was nice to see more of Lupin and his relationship with his family. Got to say the game was really good especially the twist at the end didn’t see it coming. Though I’m curious about what Jigen went through on his journey with his old man.
Dec 23, 2022 5:17 PM
Aug 2020
Not a big fan of how they portrayed Arséne, especially when you compare it to his book counterpart, where he's called a "Gentleman Thief" for a reason...
Other than that, pretty fun episode with some really fun twists and turns. I like it even more than the previous two, and it was cool getting to see the moment Arséne fully accepted Lupin as his successor.
Dec 23, 2022 5:33 PM

Oct 2011
Fullmettle said:
Not a big fan of how they portrayed Arséne, especially when you compare it to his book counterpart, where he's called a "Gentleman Thief" for a reason...
Other than that, pretty fun episode with some really fun twists and turns. I like it even more than the previous two, and it was cool getting to see the moment Arséne fully accepted Lupin as his successor.

Yes, Arsène Lupin is really dislikable in this episode, but it was so in the original 60s manga.
It was in fact pretty faithful to the source material, which is quite rare for Lupin III adaptations.
In fact, Arsène Lupin was use as a villain by Edogawa Ranpo in 1930! In this novel, Lupin is also depicted as a terrible man, unlike his gentlemanly behavior of the French Novels.
Maybe that's why Monkey Punch made him that way (or maybe not. Nearly everybody in the original manga are terrible human beings).
As for the episode:
I really liked it! It was a very fun way to adapt the source material!
I can't wait to see more of Lupin II, he looks very cool!
Dec 24, 2022 2:34 AM

Mar 2019
That's a very fucked up ending. I shouldn't feel bad for someone willing to kill children, but stealing someone's heart is messed up.
Dec 24, 2022 5:52 AM
Aug 2020
Teacher_Priest said:
Fullmettle said:

Yes, Arsène Lupin is really dislikable in this episode, but it was so in the original 60s manga.
It was in fact pretty faithful to the source material, which is quite rare for Lupin III adaptations.
In fact, Arsène Lupin was use as a villain by Edogawa Ranpo in 1930! In this novel, Lupin is also depicted as a terrible man, unlike his gentlemanly behavior of the French Novels.
Maybe that's why Monkey Punch made him that way (or maybe not. Nearly everybody in the original manga are terrible human beings).
As for the episode:
I really liked it! It was a very fun way to adapt the source material!
I can't wait to see more of Lupin II, he looks very cool!

I loved that twist at the end with Lupin II! When you realise that that it was him the whole time, it makes "Phoolan's" speech to Lupin III really interesting...
I really like the way Lupin III feels so trapped between his father and his grandfather, it's an interesting dynamic for the character.

I think I'd be okay with them making more episodes of this spin-off honestly, between main parts.
Dec 24, 2022 8:37 AM
Apr 2021
Fullmettle said:

I hate it too.In the manga he didn't appear much soit was all the director's doung with his personality
Dec 24, 2022 11:52 AM

Dec 2017
I think this is great. Better than Part VI could ever hope to be. Wish it had 12 episodes instead of 6...
Dec 24, 2022 1:53 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
I am not sure about what to think regarding how they portrayed Lupin's grandfather. On one hand, he didn't come across as very likable. But on the other, it builds so much more character drama for Lupin to help grow, as portrayed in this episode. Plus, just pasting a beard on Lupin and giving him the same personality would be lazy, so at least they made an effort to make sure that Lupin wasn't just a carbon copy of his grandfather, though that's what it feels like in some of the other Lupin adaptations, like Lupin III: The First. While Lupin's grandfather does become less maniacal towards the end of the episode, his methods are still questionable.

The unclothed women in the episode were quite a surprise. I wasn't expecting this series to be mature. I got to say though, stealing a person's gold teeth while still inside their mouth is next level thievery.

I really liked the twist with Lupin's father at the end. The family drama is really intriguing, so I hope it delivers more of that in future episodes.
Dec 24, 2022 1:58 PM

Dec 2017
anime-prime said:
I am not sure about what to think regarding how they portrayed Lupin's grandfather. On one hand, he didn't come across as very likable. But on the other, it builds so much more character drama for Lupin to help grow, as portrayed in this episode. Plus, just pasting a beard on Lupin and giving him the same personality would be lazy, so at least they made an effort to make sure that Lupin wasn't just a carbon copy of his grandfather, though that's what it feels like in some of the other Lupin adaptations, like Lupin III: The First. While Lupin's grandfather does become less maniacal towards the end of the episode, his methods are still questionable.

The unclothed women in the episode were quite a surprise. I wasn't expecting this series to be mature. I got to say though, stealing a person's gold teeth while still inside their mouth is next level thievery.

I really liked the twist with Lupin's father at the end. The family drama is really intriguing, so I hope it delivers more of that in future episodes.
I did some research and apparently this episode is a loose adaptation of a 1968 Lupin III story called "Lupin III vs. Arsene Lupin", chapter 37 of the manga.
Dec 25, 2022 3:39 AM

May 2018
Wow, more twists than any Lupin III episode I have seen.
The grandpa being such an evil jerk is inconsistent with the Maurice Leblanc's character, but it kind of fits Lupin III, especially its first season. (And I never read the manga, so I guess he is jerk there too?)
Dec 25, 2022 10:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It was cool, I could watch in the same episode the three Lupins!!!! kekeke
Dec 29, 2022 4:04 AM

May 2009
I was surprised there were naked titties but then remembered it's not TV series but ONA.
Jan 1, 2023 11:51 AM

Sep 2013
Man i wish we had a young Arsene Lupin series and one about Lupin II they seem like such cool characters
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 2, 2023 7:54 PM
Mar 2019
Seems Grandfather is pretty Evil, nice he turned up though.
Jan 4, 2023 10:46 AM
Jan 2018
Always a joy when anime gives women actual nipples instead of making them robots.

Albert needs his own episode to shine. Everybody else stood out well tho.

I guess when you live with certain death for so long, bullets and bladed weapons stop fazing you. I would actually love a proper Lupin anime series in this style, with Lupin's family and childhood rivals being mixed in. I could even live without Fujiko. But not for long.
Jan 16, 2023 1:22 AM

Sep 2018
I really liked this, very faithful to the whole Monkey Punch style in a way I wasn't expecting.
Jan 29, 2023 10:51 AM
Aug 2022
Admittedly I had been thinking of this as a more kid friendly version of Lupin but this episode totally laid waste to that misconception, we got boobs, brutal death, sick mind games.

Arsene's become a real piece of work in his old age, not much of a gentleman thief anymore.

Lupin ii's reveal was just lmao, what a fucking wild entrance.
Feb 24, 2023 1:42 PM

Dec 2021
It was very obvious that Lupin had a tendency to romanticize people and events, but man, seeing the unromanticized relationship between him, his father, and his grandfather, that's quite something.
'Say the line, Bart' meme, but with Suiseiseki saying 'NTHE'
Oct 1, 3:15 PM
Dec 2020
Man the twist at the end was crazy, i totally didn't except that, i literally gasped when Phoolia was revealed to be Lupin II

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 6 Discussion

ropiel - Jan 13, 2023

21 by Brunilde »»
Oct 5, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 5 Discussion

link2601 - Jan 6, 2023

16 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 1, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 2 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 16, 2022

14 by Swiggy »»
Apr 14, 2023 4:57 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 1 Discussion

Ranxomare - Dec 17, 2022

19 by Swiggy »»
Apr 14, 2023 4:30 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 4 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 30, 2022

8 by Nemo_Niemand »»
Mar 3, 2023 5:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.