Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Twilight Out of Focus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
Going FULL on BL now, holy.

In high school, Mao gets the opportunity to make a BL film for the film club. His roommate, Hisashi, a handsome and openly gay delinquent, is cast in the lead role. As they spend time together preparing for the production, Mao realizes he's developing feelings for Hisashi that go beyond friendship.

However, Mao is bound by their promises: to keep Hisashi's sexuality a secret and for Hisashi not to make a move on Mao. On the night before filming begins, Hisashi returns to the dorm with a swollen cheek, and Mao can't help but start and get intimate with him.

Poor Hisashi... he has Mao now though. Hopefully forever.

Jul 11, 9:09 AM
Sep 2020
I have a question. Something was censored a few times when Hisashi was talking to his friend. It was black. Was that censored in the manga too? I think it's crap that there is only one version of the title and it's censored.
Jul 11, 9:37 AM
Mar 2021
Alright, I'm officially intrigued. This definitely isn't the show I expected.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about this episode and the handling of grooming. I think it was quite tactful but I wanna hear other opinions on this as I'm no expert. I'll be watching this thread for the rest of the night and ik people are gonna talk about this so I'm excited to see other takes ^_^. Seeing Hisashi just say it like it is and call his teacher a nonce was quite satisfying. The man took advantage of him when he needed support the most, which is painfully realistic. I'm personally unsure about the weird incesty plotline to get there. A lot of other things could've been done to put Hisashi in a tough spot. Why this comically stupid misinterpretation?? Was Hisashi's sister trying to get him in trouble? Most people who'd get caught in a situation like that would insist that it's "not like that" but we see nothing of her defending Hisashi. Just feels dumb. It really takes the punch away from the teacher story IMO. It's genuinely such a stupid way to get from A to B.

One thing I disliked about this episode was the fact that Mao confessed right away. I know this is just a matter of preference but I prefer slow-burn in my BL. I understand he was emotional but I want him to hold back his feelings a little more, y'know? It just didn't feel earned. I don't feel like we know enough about Mao either. I hope he gets more fleshed out throughout the show. I just don't feel awfully connected to him at all.

p.s
I don't wanna be *that banana fish fan* rn but I am feeling some serious asheiji reincarnation vibes lol. It seems that the comparisons between them don't stop at appearances....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 9:44 AM

Mar 2014
I am a slowburn fan so I wasn't expecting this development so soon! I get getting scared or whatever especially when it involves coming to terms with your sexuality. But refusing to talk about it the next day to this extent was kinda cold ngl. I hope they manage to sort things out soon
Jul 11, 10:20 AM
Sep 2022
Mutual love confession AND a kiss on episode 2?! I prefer this over 12+ episode slow burns any day tbh. And I’m sure we all saw it coming, but poor Hisashi. Yuma Uchida the king of voicing traumatized blond characters.
Jul 11, 10:26 AM
Mar 2023
I think it was better than the first episode. still feel kinda iffy on it. especially on the whole pedophile teacher. I feel like with these sorts of topics that you should only cover them if you are going to have a serious discussion about them.
Jul 11, 10:40 AM

Mar 2019
Reply to Tomoya26
I have a question. Something was censored a few times when Hisashi was talking to his friend. It was black. Was that censored in the manga too? I think it's crap that there is only one version of the title and it's censored.
Tomoya26 said:
have a question. Something was censored a few times when Hisashi was talking to his friend. It was black. Was that censored in the manga too? I think it's crap that there is only one version of the title and it's censored.

It's partly censored in the manga. Here's the panel:

Jul 11, 11:12 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to jotasui

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about this episode and the handling of grooming. I think it was quite tactful but I wanna hear other opinions on this as I'm no expert. I'll be watching this thread for the rest of the night and ik people are gonna talk about this so I'm excited to see other takes ^_^. Seeing Hisashi just say it like it is and call his teacher a nonce was quite satisfying. The man took advantage of him when he needed support the most, which is painfully realistic. I'm personally unsure about the weird incesty plotline to get there. A lot of other things could've been done to put Hisashi in a tough spot. Why this comically stupid misinterpretation?? Was Hisashi's sister trying to get him in trouble? Most people who'd get caught in a situation like that would insist that it's "not like that" but we see nothing of her defending Hisashi. Just feels dumb. It really takes the punch away from the teacher story IMO. It's genuinely such a stupid way to get from A to B.

One thing I disliked about this episode was the fact that Mao confessed right away. I know this is just a matter of preference but I prefer slow-burn in my BL. I understand he was emotional but I want him to hold back his feelings a little more, y'know? It just didn't feel earned. I don't feel like we know enough about Mao either. I hope he gets more fleshed out throughout the show. I just don't feel awfully connected to him at all.

p.s
I don't wanna be *that banana fish fan* rn but I am feeling some serious asheiji reincarnation vibes lol. It seems that the comparisons between them don't stop at appearances....
@jotasui I thought the grooming was handled pretty well too, Hisashi definitely said everything I was thinking to his groomer. I interpreted the thing with his step-sister as her assaulting him, and of course no one would believe him that she was the one coming onto him. I could be very wrong on this though. If it is the case, I definitely think it adds to Hisashi's tragic backstory, making him being groomed at a vulnerable point even worse.

I agree that the confession did feel a little rushed, but I think teens kind of do that irl too. They don't really reflect on their feelings before blurting them out, so they can get overwhelmed when the other person actually returns them. Of course, this leads to both of them getting hurt and I really hope Mao figures it out, Hisashi deserves all the happiness in the world after what he's been through.

Absolutely getting Banana Fish vibes
Jul 11, 11:28 AM

Nov 2022
damn, that was the fastest 0 to 100 confession in an anime... I mean it only took 1 episode and a half for Mao to go from 0 apparent interest displayed for Hisashi to straight up confessing to him
Jul 11, 11:45 AM
Nov 2021
I honestly just started watching this anime I haven’t read the manga yet but I would say I do enjoy this anime a lot and I can’t wait to see the direction they go with this 😁
Jul 11, 11:50 AM

May 2015
Huh, this escalated quickly, didn't expect the confession so soon, but now I'm intrigued. I just hope they don't replace beating around the bush with a different layer of misunderstandings.

Props for calling things what they actually are (even if censored). Hisashi's backstory is honestly so fucked up.
Jul 11, 12:01 PM

Jun 2021
Not the biggest fan of how the kiss scene felt rushed over (I read along with the manga while I’m watching so I can see how they adapt it). Felt like they wanted to get it over with and didn’t want to let the moment linger.

Very worried for next week based off of what the next chapters are

This episode was very sweet and well done, but the intimate moments aren’t hitting.
Jul 11, 12:25 PM
Feb 2021
Tomoya26 said:

No, in the is not censured.
Jul 11, 3:04 PM
Oct 2022
I’m not really supporting LGBTQ+, but leaving this aside, the anime is pretty good till now.

Mao and Hisashi make a great job working together at the film club. Hisashi and others are preparing seriously for the shoot in order to be as good as possible. There was a love connection between Mao Tsuchiya and Otomo Hisashi from the very beginning. Although they recorded a video swearing that no secrets would be shared, the fate changed all of it.
Jul 11, 3:21 PM
Aug 2020
Haylen said:
Not the biggest fan of how the kiss scene felt rushed over (I read along with the manga while I’m watching so I can see how they adapt it). Felt like they wanted to get it over with and didn’t want to let the moment linger.

This episode was very sweet and well done, but the intimate moments aren’t hitting.

Exactly that’s what I was wondering too since it does say this anime will be 12 episodes when the source is relatively short
Jul 11, 3:32 PM

Jun 2021
Yaaaaassssssuuu said:
Haylen said:

Exactly that’s what I was wondering too since it does say this anime will be 12 episodes when the source is relatively short

I mean there are 4 books out in the U.S (the 5th book, Long Take, comes out in September) and they’re seemingly spending 3 episodes on the first book so 3 episodes per book would make 12 episodes so I’m not worried about them stretching it to 12 episodes, but I am worried about how they’ll handle the more intimate moments in the volumes because it seems like they’ll be rushed and watered down.
Jul 11, 3:50 PM
Mar 2023
OtakuKun1 said:
I’m not really supporting LGBTQ+, but leaving this aside, the anime is pretty good till now.

Mao and Hisashi make a great job working together at the film club. Hisashi and others are preparing seriously for the shoot in order to be as good as possible. There was a love connection between Mao Tsuchiya and Otomo Hisashi from the very beginning. Although they recorded a video swearing that no secrets would be shared, the fate changed all of it.

strange to me that you are watching this and you dont support lgbtq+. you should rethink why you don't support it and research more about it and the personal stories of people in the lgbtq+ community. often, they will face prejudice that heterosexual and cisgender people wouldn't face.
Jul 11, 4:13 PM

Jan 2011
I'd rather just read the manga again. I'm not going to bother with this PG crap. Why the heck make a smut yaoi manga an anime if you're going to censor every small intimate thing? If they just want shounen ai material, then pick a shounen ai manga. I'd get skipping over

now forbidden to animate in yaoi anime? Ridiculous.
✿ writings ✿ tumblr ✿ books ✿ profile picture by ME ✿
Jul 11, 4:21 PM

Dec 2020
uhhh well that was quite the second episode
Jul 11, 5:01 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to OtakuKun1

How are you a homophobic jojo fan @OtakuKun1 ??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 5:18 PM
Aug 2023
This is so much different from what I thought it was going to be. This is one really dramatic and emotional anime. Which is a good thing. This episode was amazing and really showed the characters feelings (literally)
Jul 11, 8:13 PM

Jan 2023
This is definitely an emotional roller coaster, I can’t believe that Mao ran away and didn’t want to talk about it the next day, I can feel Hisashi 😭
Jul 11, 8:56 PM

Jun 2021
YukiTsubaki said:
I'd rather just read the manga again. I'm not going to bother with this PG crap. Why the heck make a smut yaoi manga an anime if you're going to censor every small intimate thing? If they just want shounen ai material, then pick a shounen ai manga. I'd get skipping over

Yea I was reading along while watching (I have the physical manga so I had it out) and the watering down this episode left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m worried for the next episode
Jul 11, 9:13 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to Haylen
YukiTsubaki said:

Yea I was reading along while watching (I have the physical manga so I had it out) and the watering down this episode left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m worried for the next episode
@Haylen Yup. I mean, seeing as how they did this episode, I doubt the next one would be any different.

It's obvious they're going for a sparkly shoujo vibe here, so I really don't think they'll do right on the rest.
We'll see what they do, but I'll be done with this if they censor it like that again.
YukiTsubakiJul 11, 9:21 PM
✿ writings ✿ tumblr ✿ books ✿ profile picture by ME ✿
Jul 11, 9:21 PM

Dec 2016
They have already covered up to 4 chapters of the manga. Considering how the manga is pretty fast paced with the couple's relationship development and how in the anime they are cutting and censoring the smut scenes, the story should be finished in about 2 or 3 more episodes. What are they gonna show till the 12th episode? Are they gonna include some anime original scenes? But It would make sense if they are also planning to include the sequel manga which is called Zanzou Slow Motion.
Jul 11, 9:54 PM
Jul 2023
Ugh they’re so cute
- Damn, it happened how I thought. At least they went into it later
- Asking someone out the day they get dumped? Asshole move imo
- The breakup scene was really funny. Good for him
Jul 12, 12:02 AM
Oct 2022
jotasui said:

Yes, I am a JoJo fan. JoJo is the best anime for me, everything is great there, till opening to story, characters, animation (even though it started in 1995). What does it have to do with it?
Jul 12, 12:06 AM
Oct 2022
phaon1 said:
OtakuKun1 said:

strange to me that you are watching this and you dont support lgbtq+. you should rethink why you don't support it and research more about it and the personal stories of people in the lgbtq+ community. often, they will face prejudice that heterosexual and cisgender people wouldn't face.

I do not have anything with people who are supporting this community or those who are part of it, this is just their choice of life. But I believe this should not be normal, we were made to build relationships with women (if you are male) and with men (if you are women).

I’m just ignoring the fact that MC are gay. I am simply seeing this anime is well-made till now and more adventures will await them further in their life (or that’s what I imagine) πŸ˜„
Jul 12, 1:47 AM

Jan 2021
Hahahah, that scene was really good xD I really liked when Hisashi said that to his ex. Well done, Hisashi. Pedophiles are disgusting.

Looking forward to the kiss scene~ Hisashi's acting is so beautiful there.

Jul 12, 4:22 AM
Mar 2023
OtakuKun1 said:
phaon1 said:

I do not have anything with people who are supporting this community or those who are part of it, this is just their choice of life. But I believe this should not be normal, we were made to build relationships with women (if you are male) and with men (if you are women).

I’m just ignoring the fact that MC are gay. I am simply seeing this anime is well-made till now and more adventures will await them further in their life (or that’s what I imagine) πŸ˜„

disappointing to hear this. especially considering that non heterosexual behaviour is pretty common in the animal kingdom. there are also species which can change sex and ones that can have a combination of multiple sexes. it really is normal and that it's just humans that have these prejudices.
Jul 12, 5:54 AM

Jun 2021
Rickydory123 said:
They have already covered up to 4 chapters of the manga. Considering how the manga is pretty fast paced with the couple's relationship development and how in the anime they are cutting and censoring the smut scenes, the story should be finished in about 2 or 3 more episodes. What are they gonna show till the 12th episode? Are they gonna include some anime original scenes? But It would make sense if they are also planning to include the sequel manga which is called Zanzou Slow Motion.

They’re doing zanzou as well as the yayoi monologues and overlap (so 4 books in all). Should be plenty of material to cover.

There’s a chance they’ll go into Long Take as well but I’m not sure there (Long Take is the 5th volume it comes out in the states in September 2024)
Jul 12, 6:02 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to OtakuKun1
jotasui said:

Yes, I am a JoJo fan. JoJo is the best anime for me, everything is great there, till opening to story, characters, animation (even though it started in 1995). What does it have to do with it?
@OtakuKun1
1. jojo didn't start in 1995. the anime began in 2012. there are two ovas, one from 2002 and another from 1993 but nothing from 1995.

This statement is emotional and ignores all known facts and logic.
If you would like to go to the "it's not natural" argument Prof. Yuval Noah Harari, author of the hit book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind would like to disagree with you.
“Culture tends to argue that it forbids only that which is unnatural. But from a biological perspective, nothing is unnatural. Whatever is possible is by definition also natural. A truly unnatural behavior tat goes against the laws of nature, simply cannot exist, so it would need no prohibition.”
Why would we need to add rules to society about what's natural and unatural if these things were truly not innate to human nature? It's very funny that we have no rules on what is actually not natural for humans, e.g photosynthesizing, but we have rules for things that humans do and have done all throughout human history.

You are clearly a highly emotional person who doesn't value facts or rationale. You are being brainwashed by the culture into ignoring reality and science. wake up.
Jul 12, 6:37 AM

Jan 2017
So beautiful! I had to curse since I still have to wait for another week to see what happens next... Still been loving Otomo Hisashi already as I can see almost all of Ash Lynx on him!!! πŸ˜­πŸ’›
Jul 12, 7:44 AM
Jun 2024
I can't believe Mao just ran away after dropping a confession like that, I really felt bad for Hisashi 😿
Jul 12, 8:48 AM
Mar 2024
maravilhoso esse episódio Mao hirashi estão apaixonado um pelo outro adorei lindo lindo ,teve pequeno problema ele ficou inseguro talvez ele pensou tava tirando proveito hirashi πŸ˜πŸ€”
Jul 12, 10:44 AM

Aug 2019
Reply to OtakuKun1
phaon1 said:
OtakuKun1 said:

@OtakuKun1 source?

Otherwise gtfo with the ignorance my guy. You people are exhausting
y u mad tho
Jul 12, 11:00 AM
Oct 2022
jotasui said:
@OtakuKun1
1. jojo didn't start in 1995. the anime began in 2012. there are two ovas, one from 2002 and another from 1993 but nothing from 1995.

If you would like to go to the "it's not natural" argument Prof. Yuval Noah Harari, author of the hit book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind would like to disagree with you.
“Culture tends to argue that it forbids only that which is unnatural. But from a biological perspective, nothing is unnatural. Whatever is possible is by definition also natural. A truly unnatural behavior tat goes against the laws of nature, simply cannot exist, so it would need no prohibition.”
Why would we need to add rules to society about what's natural and unatural if these things were truly not innate to human nature? It's very funny that we have no rules on what is actually not natural for humans, e.g photosynthesizing, but we have rules for things that humans do and have done all throughout human history.

You are clearly a highly emotional person who doesn't value facts or rationale. You are being brainwashed by the culture into ignoring reality and science. wake up.

You do not know me in person and you don’t have any right to judge me based on what I’m thinking. My opinion is that LGBTQ+ should not exist, God did not create us to form man-man couples or woman-woman couples. Everyone is free to do what their heart says, I am not judging anyone, but I believe this is not right, that’s it.

Yes, my bad. JoJo anime began in 2012, thank you for correction.
Jul 12, 3:44 PM
Mar 2023
OtakuKun1 said:
jotasui said:
@OtakuKun1

You do not know me in person and you don’t have any right to judge me based on what I’m thinking. My opinion is that LGBTQ+ should not exist, God did not create us to form man-man couples or woman-woman couples. Everyone is free to do what their heart says, I am not judging anyone, but I believe this is not right, that’s it.

Yes, my bad. JoJo anime began in 2012, thank you for correction.

actually, when your opinions are actively putting down others simply for loving someone, or identifying with what makes them comfortable, then I think people do have the right to criticise your view points. as a gay person, hearing people say these kind of things in 2024 makes me sad. I used to struggle with my identity occasionally and would hate myself, seeing that kind of rhetoric from people made it worse.
phaon1Jul 12, 3:48 PM
Jul 12, 5:36 PM
Oct 2022
mao what the fuck bruh
GRAVES666Jul 12, 5:41 PM
Jul 12, 5:59 PM
May 2024
I'm soooo happy this anime came out this season, because I don't feel like getting involved with any other release this summer...

I was also surprised by the mutual confession AND first kiss happening is EP 2! Totally not what I was expecting.
I'm excited to see what the future holds for Mao and Hisashi's story <3

still, I'm a bit worried about things getting censored. But let's see... I have a good feeling about the direction we are going here.
Jul 12, 6:44 PM

Sep 2021
That backstory was like a triple slap into Hisashi's face! I wish they had taken it a bit slower. Could've been an entire episode if you ask me.

Besides the pacing, I'm happy with how the story is progressing! Good job with the characters and expressing their thoughts and feelings.

Also, the show gets bonus points for the depiction of rape attempted by a girl. A very underrepresented topic even in the BL scene (It's usually always older guys!).
BisalissyJul 12, 6:49 PM
Jul 12, 9:35 PM

Aug 2021
Ey, good for him telling off his pedo ex-bf! Slight escalation here.. But I still love the side characters
Insert unfunny quip about self
Jul 13, 5:30 AM
Oct 2023
jotasui said:

p.s

I personally really loved how the grooming was portrayed. It was indeed satisfying to see him being straightforward, as we don't see that very often. It was also a painfully realistic situation and was incredibly heartbreaking to watch. I just want to note that the girl who got on top of him is NOT his biological sister. It's not incesty, as they're not blood-related. In most cultures, stepsisters aren't regarded as real sisters. This particular situation is also one that occurs way too often and is seldom spoken of at all. I'm glad it was included in the story.

As a Banana Fish fan whose favorite character ever (in all of anime) is Aslan (tying with one other character -Shigaraki Tomura-).. Trust me, that's so valid. The similarities are endless. There is no way Tasogare Out Focus wasn't *heavily* inspired by Banana Fish!
Jul 13, 5:32 AM
Oct 2023
phaon1 said:
I think it was better than the first episode. still feel kinda iffy on it. especially on the whole pedophile teacher. I feel like with these sorts of topics that you should only cover them if you are going to have a serious discussion about them.

I disagree, honestly. There is no necessity to go into depth about it. Many, if not most, victims don't have the liberty or luxury of sitting down and pondering about it. This was very realistically done, I think.
Jul 13, 5:34 AM
Oct 2023
nientiendo1986 said:
I can't believe Mao just ran away after dropping a confession like that, I really felt bad for Hisashi 😿

Hisashi really deserves better. It's so sad.. 😭
Jul 13, 5:41 AM
Mar 2023
JuwairiyaU said:
phaon1 said:

I disagree, honestly. There is no necessity to go into depth about it. Many, if not most, victims don't have the liberty or luxury of sitting down and pondering about it. This was very realistically done, I think.

that's not what I meant by a serious discussion
Jul 13, 7:23 AM
Oct 2023
phaon1 said:
JuwairiyaU said:

that's not what I meant by a serious discussion

Hisashi mentioned his story as a conversation, so that's as much depth as they could go into.
Jul 13, 3:55 PM
Feb 2021
Mao. My dude. TIMING. *facepalm*
Jul 14, 4:10 PM

Jan 2022
Damn, Hisashi has been through a lot. From almost getting r*ped by a girl, getting kicked out, and having a teacher groom him. Feels bad man.

This anime is beautiful. I'm so proud of Mao <3 hopefully things start to get better for Hisashi after he's been through so much
This never updates so that's cool
Jul 15, 1:16 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to OtakuKun1
phaon1 said:
OtakuKun1 said:

@OtakuKun1 yikes dude, this part is just gross: "But I believe this should not be normal, we were made to build relationships with women (if you are male) and with men (if you are women)."

I'm bi, so if you don't have anything nice or intelligent to say, please keep your thoughts to yourself, I wasn't expecting to read homophobia in a BL anime thread.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» In another life time...

AnimeZ0id - Oct 17

3 by ExpiredH20 »»
Oct 20, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Tasogare Out Focus Episode 12 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 19

38 by aedeann »»
Oct 14, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Tasogare Out Focus Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 22

31 by Bisalissy »»
Oct 8, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Tasogare Out Focus Episode 11 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 12

20 by cooldogmom »»
Oct 5, 11:42 AM

» This will be my first BL anime what can I expect?

ishowcunny - Jun 11

26 by ishowcunny »»
Oct 4, 1:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.