Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 8:21 AM

Jul 2021
The Elves and the shoemaker
So who was that girl at the end of the day. I don't really get the ending for this one, why did he kill himself?
Apr 17, 9:03 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Cestlavie_
The Elves and the shoemaker
So who was that girl at the end of the day. I don't really get the ending for this one, why did he kill himself?
@Cestlavie_ Did he really kill himself? I thought it was due to old age, or depression, or someting else. Where was it said? Pretty sure the girl would be equivalent to the elf in the original "The Elves and The Shoemaker".
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Jul 2021
RealNath said:
@Cestlavie_ Did he really kill himself? I thought it was due to old age, or depression, or someting else. Where was it said? Pretty sure the girl would be equivalent to the elf in the original "The Elves and The Shoemaker".

Well, I just assumed he did out of depression. I gathered the girl was meant to be the elf but why was she helping him all this time?
Apr 17, 7:01 PM

Apr 2022
hmmm sudden death, another one boring unfortunately.
Apr 17, 8:56 PM

Oct 2019
Holy moly, aside from maybe the first one, I think this was the best.

I think any creative will find what the main character went through to bee deeply depressing. This was for me probably the scariest story lol
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 18, 5:01 AM

Sep 2008
Not as great as "Cinderella" or "Hansel & Gretel" for me, but it's still a interestingly mysterious variation: a faded writer who bounces back with seminal works... which end up being something that he wouldn't usually write, which will end up leading him to a morbid ending

I have to admit that I didn't know its original tale... so I wasn't sure what to expect from it - ended up being pleasantly surprised by it
LAboy456Apr 19, 11:47 AM
Apr 19, 10:11 AM
Sep 2015
Grimm Brothers make a cameo appearance at media conference for the novel Elves and the Shoemaker.

It's interesting that this adaptation bring the "subjective" aspect to the tale. One of the difference from the origina tale is that, the original shoemaker make a shoe for elves in compensate for elve's hardwork. In this Netflix adaptation, the "shoemaker" aka the novelist doesn't provide a shoe aka a novel to the elve, thus he died. But let's look at it in a more realistic aspect. The elves did not kill him, or any curse, or any supernatural cause. The novelist died because of the overdose of substance (alcohol in his sake). His bestselling works always written when he drunk, which is why he feel like they're his works but also not his works at the same time. This also reflects that some artists use drug or alcohol to make their works better, and sadly some of them died because of these.
Apr 19, 1:02 PM
Hokage
Oct 2021
Reply to phantomfandom
Grimm Brothers make a cameo appearance at media conference for the novel Elves and the Shoemaker.

It's interesting that this adaptation bring the "subjective" aspect to the tale. One of the difference from the origina tale is that, the original shoemaker make a shoe for elves in compensate for elve's hardwork. In this Netflix adaptation, the "shoemaker" aka the novelist doesn't provide a shoe aka a novel to the elve, thus he died. But let's look at it in a more realistic aspect. The elves did not kill him, or any curse, or any supernatural cause. The novelist died because of the overdose of substance (alcohol in his sake). His bestselling works always written when he drunk, which is why he feel like they're his works but also not his works at the same time. This also reflects that some artists use drug or alcohol to make their works better, and sadly some of them died because of these.
@phantomfandom oh my god! this is exactly what i have been looking for! I tried to figure it out, and your opinion makes biggest sense! Thanks a lot!
Apr 21, 9:19 PM

Jun 2014
I didn't get what had happened to his wife and child. He seemed to be happy with them, but ends up alone.
Apr 24, 4:57 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The weak episode of the season to me!!!
Well, adaptation of the The elves and the shoemaker but the plot was transladated to a writer and a mystery girl!!!

In general has a nice starts but evolve very simple with the tragic final!!

5/10

kekeke
Apr 25, 5:41 AM

Nov 2012
probably my favourite yet, blows the others out the water, this one was incredible & I loved it!

Loved how it mixed the agonies of being a writer with the dark supernatural stuff! Great spin on the classic tale too!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 25, 11:36 AM
Feb 2024
I don't think I really comprehend this episode? It was ok I suppose, maybe I'm stupid, but this episode falls a little bit flat for me, the plot is messy, meh
Apr 25, 10:21 PM

May 2020
Reply to phantomfandom

@phantomfandom I was wondering if he was writing while drunk, but then what's the point of the "elf" girl? Does she do anything at all?

And what was that with him randomly awakening to a wife & child after talking to her? I thought he became a rich mega star author, then suddenly he's back to living in a cozy small place with a family we've never seen, and he did finish the book he'd been writing.

Then he was suddenly old, but it didn't really give the impression of time passing either. I guess it was too ambiguous for me to make much sense of the spin on the original story, or what the "moral" of it was. Did the elf girl help? Was he writing? Was that some alternate reality? Who did he see writing in the window of his apartment? It was all so odd.
“No, you can’t have a show where everybody’s Krillin!” – Shinpachi
Apr 28, 5:29 PM

Jul 2007
Reply to phantomfandom

@phantomfandom really liked your point of view!! I liked this episode but I ended up sort of confused by the ending.
Apr 28, 5:29 PM

Jul 2007
Reply to phantomfandom

@phantomfandom really liked your point of view!! I liked this episode but I ended up sort of confused by the ending.
Apr 28, 11:37 PM

May 2015
I think them showing the life he could of had if he just pressed forward and continued honing his craft was nice. Sucks things went the way they did for Mr N. If only that little girl told him what the agreement he was making was.
Apr 29, 11:13 AM
Jul 2022
Magicmist said:
I think them showing the life he could of had if he just pressed forward and continued honing his craft was nice. Sucks things went the way they did for Mr N. If only that little girl told him what the agreement he was making was.

I know right lol if someone said my book sucked and I was a talentless hack I wouldn't walk away from that thinking they wanted me to perfect the book.
Apr 30, 6:12 AM
Oct 2014
huh? not sure if I completely understood the ending, this one might've been a bit too avant garde for me. I thought it was boring but fine.
May 1, 2:44 AM
Sep 2023
Prince_Utena said:
I didn't get what had happened to his wife and child. He seemed to be happy with them, but ends up alone.

I think he doesn't have family. It was a vision: what life he might have had if he had finished the book.
May 1, 2:51 AM
Sep 2023
THE_BigDingus said:
@phantomfandom I was wondering if he was writing while drunk, but then what's the point of the "elf" girl? Does she do anything at all?

And what was that with him randomly awakening to a wife & child after talking to her? I thought he became a rich mega star author, then suddenly he's back to living in a cozy small place with a family we've never seen, and he did finish the book he'd been writing.

Then he was suddenly old, but it didn't really give the impression of time passing either. I guess it was too ambiguous for me to make much sense of the spin on the original story, or what the "moral" of it was. Did the elf girl help? Was he writing? Was that some alternate reality? Who did he see writing in the window of his apartment? It was all so odd.

I think the moral is not to lose yourself when creating art for an audience. N wasn't brilliant, but the girl knew she could make a good book. That's why she had been giving him manuscripts for years. These books were well written, but not great. The editors wanted to publish them because they were created to suit the readers' tastes. And that was fine. But N gave up writing altogether, he didn't care about creating something valuable. And that was his mistake. If he had used the time given to him, he could have written a good book about the murderer. Then he would live in harmony with himself, start a family and have friends. Unfortunately, he died alone instead.
May 2, 3:47 PM

Jul 2019
This one was fascinating, but unlike everybody else, I disagree with the fact N died/killed himself at the end. I think the 'author' N died, while the true N lived to his old age, a drunkard, miserable and sad.

I think at first N lived truly to the point where we see him meeting last time the elf girl. I think the moment she started to question him 'did you truly write those novels?' was the deciding point of what kind of destiny N would have. If he had admitted the elf girl, he wouldn't in fact written those and would have finished his original novel, the elf girl would have either granted him his 'happy life' or let him continue his current, rich one. But since N has lost his humbleness and hardworking attitude, the elf girl rejects him and takes her 'gift' away.

As the last 'farewell girl' the elf girl showed him a 'what if' scenario if he had embraced his original story and tried to finish it. He would have been truly happy with his family and saw people as people, instead of just faceless letters. But because he didn't, she took her gift which allowed the 'shadow' to write for him. Hence, in the news at the end where we see the

news of N's sudden death, it's in fact his 'shadow' that died. While the true N never actually lived the rich life we saw him having in the episode, but instead, he was in fact drunkard and miserable old man who had seen this wonderful dream of a successful N...(but we know it wasn't a dream). Because of that, N finally gave up his original story and let the wind take it, him fully giving up.

I'm unsure if my interpretation is correct, but that's how I saw this episode's story.

Personally, I found this episode quite sad.
Other places where to find me:

☆ AO3/FF/tumblr/YouTube: Tuliharja
☆ Pixiv: Tuliharja/72847426
☆ DA: Tuliharja-art
May 3, 1:53 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
Holy moly, aside from maybe the first one, I think this was the best.

I think any creative will find what the main character went through to bee deeply depressing. This was for me probably the scariest story lol
@APolygons2 While I more or less understood the formula of this episode, I didn't quite understand the message. Are they saying that releasing controversial but soulful creativity is more important than releasing sterile, cliched content for the sake of fame and money?
May 3, 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to dansty
Prince_Utena said:

I think he doesn't have family. It was a vision: what life he might have had if he had finished the book.
@dansty It wasn't a vision, if you notice at the beginning of the episode, he had a typical Japanese photo of a family with children on his shelf. Judging by the epilogue, they most likely broke up because he started drinking when he lost inspiration.
May 3, 2:12 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 While I more or less understood the formula of this episode, I didn't quite understand the message. Are they saying that releasing controversial but soulful creativity is more important than releasing sterile, cliched content for the sake of fame and money?
@RobertBobert well, actually no

It's about an author who over the years has lost the soul in his work, and he doesn't understand why. His lines about "I know I'm not the best, but I'm know I'm better than a lot of other authors" or "I know I have improved on a technical level"

Really tells you about his mentality at the start of the story.

But then he is given stories, with his writing style, that he does not remember writing. He even criticizes it for being a little messy, but when submitted, everyone loves the hell out of it.

The terrifying part is that, he genuinely doesn't understand why this story that clearly uses his writing style, or similar themes, and has his hand writing....is good or special.

He has fallen so far, that the quality that everyone else understands and praises doesn't make sense to him.

The key is, that little girl had given him this chance as an experiment or push, to see if he could get back what he had lost. But instead, he just kind of rolls with the stories being his. He convinces himself that he wrote them despite him knowing it wasn't the case.

So when the little girl confronts him, into facing that reality, and implies that the shoe maker's story won't be coming anymore, he kills himself.

He failed to realize what his writing had lost even with the answer being right in front of him.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 3, 2:31 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert well, actually no

It's about an author who over the years has lost the soul in his work, and he doesn't understand why. His lines about "I know I'm not the best, but I'm know I'm better than a lot of other authors" or "I know I have improved on a technical level"

Really tells you about his mentality at the start of the story.

But then he is given stories, with his writing style, that he does not remember writing. He even criticizes it for being a little messy, but when submitted, everyone loves the hell out of it.

The terrifying part is that, he genuinely doesn't understand why this story that clearly uses his writing style, or similar themes, and has his hand writing....is good or special.

He has fallen so far, that the quality that everyone else understands and praises doesn't make sense to him.

The key is, that little girl had given him this chance as an experiment or push, to see if he could get back what he had lost. But instead, he just kind of rolls with the stories being his. He convinces himself that he wrote them despite him knowing it wasn't the case.

So when the little girl confronts him, into facing that reality, and implies that the shoe maker's story won't be coming anymore, he kills himself.

He failed to realize what his writing had lost even with the answer being right in front of him.
@APolygons2 So the idea is that he lost his soul in his technically perfect writing, which he can't realize because he... lost his soul?
May 3, 2:35 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 So the idea is that he lost his soul in his technically perfect writing, which he can't realize because he... lost his soul?
@RobertBobert Not technically perfect, he thinks he has improved, but this isn't a "technical writing VS soul" kind of deal.

It's just about the fact that he has lost the soul, and doesn't recognize it, or get it.

There isn't really a super deep message here, it's just a depressing story about a writer who has lost something, that everyone but him can see.
Also available at:

May 3, 2:47 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert Not technically perfect, he thinks he has improved, but this isn't a "technical writing VS soul" kind of deal.

It's just about the fact that he has lost the soul, and doesn't recognize it, or get it.

There isn't really a super deep message here, it's just a depressing story about a writer who has lost something, that everyone but him can see.
@APolygons2 So, no special twists or overly deep metaphors or allegories, just a pessimistic story about how the loss of the soul prevents the writer from realizing that he has lost it?
May 3, 2:59 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 So, no special twists or overly deep metaphors or allegories, just a pessimistic story about how the loss of the soul prevents the writer from realizing that he has lost it?
@RobertBobert Yep.

I guess The twist on it is that the elves or elf wasn't helping some hard working guy out of the goodness of their heart.

Instead it was a weird supernatural girl that was playing some weird experiment/game/what ever you want to call it with some depressed writer.
Also available at:

May 3, 3:02 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert Yep.

I guess The twist on it is that the elves or elf wasn't helping some hard working guy out of the goodness of their heart.

Instead it was a weird supernatural girl that was playing some weird experiment/game/what ever you want to call it with some depressed writer.
@APolygons2 Like try to support him in the hope that by getting rid of pessimism he will be able to regain his soul and finish the novel that interested her? Now it looks like a paranormal thriller-parable from the early 90s.
May 3, 3:24 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 Like try to support him in the hope that by getting rid of pessimism he will be able to regain his soul and finish the novel that interested her? Now it looks like a paranormal thriller-parable from the early 90s.
@RobertBobert Yeah that's pretty much it lol
Also available at:

May 3, 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert Yeah that's pretty much it lol
@APolygons2 Well, the idea that you can't realize you've lost your soul because you now have no soul is quite interesting, but it seems like too much of a standalone story in itself compared to past stories that were literally adaptations of Grimm's fairy tales.
May 3, 3:48 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 Well, the idea that you can't realize you've lost your soul because you now have no soul is quite interesting, but it seems like too much of a standalone story in itself compared to past stories that were literally adaptations of Grimm's fairy tales.
@RobertBobert I mean, I'm not familiar with the original grimm fairly tails.

I actually didn't even know it was a thing that existed before this show came out. So to me, all of these were completely stand alone stories that barely had anything to do with the original fairly tale.

I will say though, I'm pretty sure all of these are fairly different from the original grimm fairy tales. I can't imagine anyone writing a sci-fi story with reality altering eye drops in 1812.
Also available at:

May 3, 4:13 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert I mean, I'm not familiar with the original grimm fairly tails.

I actually didn't even know it was a thing that existed before this show came out. So to me, all of these were completely stand alone stories that barely had anything to do with the original fairly tale.

I will say though, I'm pretty sure all of these are fairly different from the original grimm fairy tales. I can't imagine anyone writing a sci-fi story with reality altering eye drops in 1812.
@APolygons2 Do you live outside of Europe or conventional Western society? Because in Europe, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm are among the most famous and influential literary works. Like the works of Homer, Shakespeare or Dumas. But it's not that important. My point was that most of the episodes as a whole pretty clearly maintained at least the general framework of the original work. This simply takes the motif of the Elvs creating works of art for the talented but poor worker from the Shoemaker and the Elvs and that’s it.

The original tale was basically about how you should thank those who help you get through a tough time in life. Well, and bring an offering to the brownies, if we take things too literally.
May 3, 4:22 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2 Do you live outside of Europe or conventional Western society? Because in Europe, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm are among the most famous and influential literary works. Like the works of Homer, Shakespeare or Dumas. But it's not that important. My point was that most of the episodes as a whole pretty clearly maintained at least the general framework of the original work. This simply takes the motif of the Elvs creating works of art for the talented but poor worker from the Shoemaker and the Elvs and that’s it.

The original tale was basically about how you should thank those who help you get through a tough time in life. Well, and bring an offering to the brownies, if we take things too literally.
@RobertBobert I grew up in iran until I was like 14, and now I have been living in Australia for 5 years. So make of that what you will.

I think there may be a chance I'm mistaking something. Are the grimm fairly tales, grimm version of the original? or is it just the fairly tales themselves?

Cause I obviously know of Cinderella or the little red riding hood, and the other stuff, I just assumed the "grimm" fairly tales was a different thing.

To be perfectly honest though, I actually think this one is one of the closer ones to the original story. Episode 2, 5 and 6 where a lot more "different" if you ask me.

The elves and the shoe maker is a story about some supernatural beings helping a creator in need.

This is also about that supernatural being helping a creator in need.

It's a different take on it with a dark twist.... but like... so was cannibals, in a sci-fi setting with rich people hunt humans. as I said, If anything I think this one is actually more related.
Also available at:

May 3, 5:05 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
@RobertBobert I grew up in iran until I was like 14, and now I have been living in Australia for 5 years. So make of that what you will.

I think there may be a chance I'm mistaking something. Are the grimm fairly tales, grimm version of the original? or is it just the fairly tales themselves?

Cause I obviously know of Cinderella or the little red riding hood, and the other stuff, I just assumed the "grimm" fairly tales was a different thing.

To be perfectly honest though, I actually think this one is one of the closer ones to the original story. Episode 2, 5 and 6 where a lot more "different" if you ask me.

The elves and the shoe maker is a story about some supernatural beings helping a creator in need.

This is also about that supernatural being helping a creator in need.

It's a different take on it with a dark twist.... but like... so was cannibals, in a sci-fi setting with rich people hunt humans. as I said, If anything I think this one is actually more related.
@APolygons2

If we talk specifically about Cinderella, then its modern version was created by the Frenchman Charles Perot and the Brothers Grimm independently of each other. With the difference that Perot literally wrote fairy tales, and the brothers were engaged in literary processing of folklore.

When we talk about the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, we are talking about the German versions of classic European fairy tales or German fairy folklore, which the brothers produced in a number of collections as pioneers of German linguistics and Germanic studies.

They were not their authors in the literal sense of the word, but they are responsible for their classical literary form. As for the dark versions, this is mainly a meme caused by the fact that as folklorists and especially German folklorists, the brothers preserved for future descendants not only edgy German culture, but also the original edgy spirit of medieval tales, which was often censored due to the gradual transformation fairy tales into literature for children. Therefore, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm are often perceived as an edgy version of fairy tales.

Well, other stories still retain the general framework and idea, just working with it in an original way. For example, Episode 5 retains the theme of a team of marginalized people fighting criminals using their unique personalities. Episodes 2 and 3 are about how a careless hunter can become a victim himself or about how mutual support between brothers and sisters can help children in the most difficult situations. In the same episode, I subjectively did not feel this due to the fact that the most positive idea was replaced by the most pessimistic one. But yeah, it still follows the general tone of the anime.

So, are you Iranian? Well, as far as I know superficially, Iranian national literature is no less rich than European literature, although I know absolutely nothing about oriental fairy tales. Unless, of course, Sinbad and 1000 and 1 Night can be called that.
May 3, 5:48 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@APolygons2

If we talk specifically about Cinderella, then its modern version was created by the Frenchman Charles Perot and the Brothers Grimm independently of each other. With the difference that Perot literally wrote fairy tales, and the brothers were engaged in literary processing of folklore.

When we talk about the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, we are talking about the German versions of classic European fairy tales or German fairy folklore, which the brothers produced in a number of collections as pioneers of German linguistics and Germanic studies.

They were not their authors in the literal sense of the word, but they are responsible for their classical literary form. As for the dark versions, this is mainly a meme caused by the fact that as folklorists and especially German folklorists, the brothers preserved for future descendants not only edgy German culture, but also the original edgy spirit of medieval tales, which was often censored due to the gradual transformation fairy tales into literature for children. Therefore, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm are often perceived as an edgy version of fairy tales.

Well, other stories still retain the general framework and idea, just working with it in an original way. For example, Episode 5 retains the theme of a team of marginalized people fighting criminals using their unique personalities. Episodes 2 and 3 are about how a careless hunter can become a victim himself or about how mutual support between brothers and sisters can help children in the most difficult situations. In the same episode, I subjectively did not feel this due to the fact that the most positive idea was replaced by the most pessimistic one. But yeah, it still follows the general tone of the anime.

So, are you Iranian? Well, as far as I know superficially, Iranian national literature is no less rich than European literature, although I know absolutely nothing about oriental fairy tales. Unless, of course, Sinbad and 1000 and 1 Night can be called that.
RobertBobert said:

Makes sense, thanks a lot for the very informative comments!

It does, I know absolutely nothing about literature, and I still can name dozens due to the sheer number and fame of them in iran.

The most famous one is called "shah name" which pretty much translates to kings letter, book of king or kings note. And it has a lot of interesting stories, it's a whole ass epic with so much lore and mythical creatures, and just everything.

I actually haven't seen a fantasy setting in japanese or western media like it, so I kinda hope someone actually adapts some stories from it properly. Like they made a bunch of D tier animation in iran, but as the D tier suggest they are all subpar at best.

It also has a decently famous story around it's creation. Apparently when when the author first tried to publish the story, he got told that it sucks. So he went and came back in 30 years, by rewriting the entire thing in poetry.

The dude is basically what shakespeare is to english.
APolygons2May 3, 5:54 PM
Also available at:

May 3, 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to APolygons2
RobertBobert said:

Makes sense, thanks a lot for the very informative comments!

It does, I know absolutely nothing about literature, and I still can name dozens due to the sheer number and fame of them in iran.

The most famous one is called "shah name" which pretty much translates to kings letter, book of king or kings note. And it has a lot of interesting stories, it's a whole ass epic with so much lore and mythical creatures, and just everything.

I actually haven't seen a fantasy setting in japanese or western media like it, so I kinda hope someone actually adapts some stories from it properly. Like they made a bunch of D tier animation in iran, but as the D tier suggest they are all subpar at best.

It also has a decently famous story around it's creation. Apparently when when the author first tried to publish the story, he got told that it sucks. So he went and came back in 30 years, by rewriting the entire thing in poetry.

The dude is basically what shakespeare is to english.
@APolygons2 Well, if Goethe had such a high opinion of Persian literature that he called it one of the main directions of world literature, then this says a lot. Especially about the author of the Shahnameh, if he really alone created an epic twice as large as the Odyssey and the Illiad combined.

Speaking of Persian literature. Have you watched Buchigiri? As far as I know, this is an allegorical adaptation of the Arabian Nights.
May 5, 3:16 AM

May 2014
This EP is very depressing, but very real at the same time.
I wouldnt call myself a writer, but I do enjoy writing as a hobby. So at the very least, I can feel his struggle, his despair and pride. Even if you didn't do any artistic works, you can still relate his issues. Even I sometimes rely on alcohol and tobacco when I really need to unwind.

It's a very realistic commentary. "Would you pursue your passion, or just continue to work for the sake of money?" You're forcing yourself to make something that you didn't, or at least, no longer enjoys. While you're destroying yourself mentally and physically, for the sake of fame and/or money.
Even in real life, we've seen alot of legendary singer, actors, dancer, musician, etc. Passed away from overdose, suicide, diseases caused from terrible lifestyle and such.

My interpretation of this episode is that, there's nothing supernatural about this one. It's about a talented writer who has abandoned his goal. His wife and child left him, he's incredibly unhappy and depressed, relying on alcohol, as his tool to help him write.
Yes, it did helped him. He's rich, he's popular, but it's not a real happiness. Also, he becomes too dependent on it to the point that it becomes the reason of his death.
There's tons of hints about it. The picture of his wife and child on his wall, his neighbor was talking about him having sudden emotional outburst, his drinking problem where he went from beer towards the heavy hitters throughout the story.

My interpretation is that; It's not that he didn't remember writing his stories, it's moreso an allegory about his internal struggle whether he should continue writing what he likes, or write what people likes. We can see that he truly embraced the latter after writing "The Elves and the Shoemaker", and later he broke down when meeting the "girl" for the final time, regretting his decision.
At the end, we're given a vision of what would it be if he decided to stick with his beliefs, but it's all too late.

There's nothing right or wrong here, it can also applies to non creative type of profession. There are plenty of people that pursued their career, and neglected their family and friends, abandoning their hobbies and interest as well for the sake of wealth and status.

I don't think they can top this one. It's my favorite so far. It's full of subtle hints and it's very relatable in some way.
I would like to say alot more, but it's really hard to put it into words, so I'll just say that I resonates with N on personal level.
May 11, 6:04 PM

Feb 2021
I like that a lot of the classical music used in this episode was from Chopin. I won't go in to too much detail, as I'm not an expert myself, but some of Chopin's manuscripts went unpublished while he was alive... likely because of the music's resemblance to another well known composer.

I can't help but think that was intentional given the content of this episode, especially since "Inspired by Frédéric Chopin" is listed in the credits at the end!
cryptic
and
Squab
May 12, 11:54 AM

Mar 2017
I feel like I’m serious dumb or something…. I don’t get these episodes! I feel like I’ve got it and then something towards then end happens and then I’m totally lost!

Only 2 I understand were Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood!
May 17, 3:14 AM

Jun 2021
Unpopular opinion, but I found this story to be better than the previous three in terms of twisting the original elf's story and more 'thought provoking' I guess

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
May 23, 2:58 AM
Feb 2020
What the hell happened here? It was way too confusing.

In last 5-10 minutes, I lost the grip on the story.

Depressed Author ≈ Destressed Shoemaker
Little Girl≈ Elf (Dark version)

Author, with probably dead family, was struggling with his story. Girl helped him with multiple times. Author gained some fame with a guilty consciences after first novel. Then denied publication with his original story. Fame grew again with another successful novel.

Afterwards everything else is lost to me. How & when he left for new place, why he returned, what happened to his old apartment building, how come he grew old in an instance in park & how did he really die. All is lost in the episode.

All one can do is fill the gaps with his/her imagination with a lot of contradictions in his/her imaginary explanations.
May 29, 7:33 AM

Jul 2020
what an absolute waste of 40 minutes. the worst episode so far
Aug 7, 2:46 AM

Jul 2010
So are the red haired girl and the old lady from the beginning the same person? They do the same gesture with their hair.
Aug 27, 1:24 PM
Aug 2019
it was a bit of a drag and i couldnt be bothered to continue the anime
Sep 1, 9:38 AM
Feb 2015
More confusing ..so that was all a dream or else...
Sep 6, 1:41 PM
Jan 2020
phantomfandom said:

This makes sense! Thanks for the explanation cause I never knew the whole story. Therefore I felt like I was missing something to understand the ending

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 3 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

39 by Gabilima57 »»
Oct 3, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 1 Discussion

RealNath - Apr 17

42 by Gabilima57 »»
Oct 3, 4:22 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 6 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

36 by jumbosan »»
Sep 5, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 5 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

22 by jumbosan »»
Sep 3, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 2 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

33 by jumbosan »»
Aug 5, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.