Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 20, 1:21 PM

Jun 2019
Because three episodes into this show which I had been watching on a tentative kind of trial basis, I'm sure I'm going to end up continue watching as I'm surprised and impressed by it for more reasons than I care to detail and list out now right here at present, and I don't want to form a premature view of the show or set myself up for disappointment later.

But I'm asking as Bocchi the Rock! is one of those newer shows I always contemplated and was tempted to watch, but never did, and I hear them frequently being compared in some circles online. Are they that similar? Is a person who likes one likely to enjoy the other or it isn't that simple? Are there major or subtle differences? Is one more serious or silly, or music-focused versus character-focused?

I suppose that superficially and in the premise they seem like they could be very similar and belong to that same subgroup of shows, but sometimes the snapshot image you have of a series when you actually haven't sat down and watched it for yourself yet is shallow, stereotypical, and misleading. I just want to know if there's really one or more defining differences which sets these two apart.
WatchTillTandavaApr 20, 1:32 PM
Apr 20, 1:32 PM
Aug 2023
They are not that similar. They feel quite different from each other and Bocchi the Rock leans far more into the comedy side of things. Jellyfish can more so be compared to A Place Further Than the Universe than Bocchi. Bocchi and Jellyfish share mostly superficial similarities of cute girls starting a music group but that’s about it. I do highly recommend Bocchi though as it’s a great show, just not all that similar to this one.
Apr 20, 1:39 PM
May 2016
BtR is a comedy. This isn't. In BtR they were willing to change even the animation style to make a scene more funny.
MC of BtR is similar to the characters in this, because all of them are traumatized to some extent, but this show definitely looks more serious.
I can see the similarities between the 2 shows. I also compared them when I talked about this to my friends. But if you don't find the jokes funny in BtR, it can be boring, so just because someone likes this, it doesn't mean they will like BtR. It depends on the reason why they like this.
Apr 20, 1:49 PM
Mar 2023
the similarities begin and end at there being a guitar in the anime.

you could argue bocchis social anxiety is a possible similarity but these girls seem to have had traumatic experiences that made them how they are, and bocchi uses the social anxiety for a comedic effect which i don’t see happening here
Apr 20, 2:42 PM
Feb 2024
honestly prefer the way Girls Band Cry and Jellyfish are going them Bocchi.
Apr 20, 3:10 PM

Nov 2013
Near 0 similarities. I guess initially people wrongly assumed (after watching trailers or reading synopsis perhaps) this show was going to be like Bocchi, but it really isn't. As other said, there's a band of cute girls in both shows and that's pretty much it.

Do watch Bocchi though. It's a good comedy with somewhat unique animation and pretty good songs. It's a fun watch, unless you get repulsed by socially awkward characters. Vast majority of people can relate to Bocchi to some level. Many agree that that's one of the biggest reasons why the show exploded - relatability; but there's more. Meanwhile, this anime is barely talked about by people I know. Haven't seen many reacting to it on Youtube as well. Guess it didn't hook too much people despite gorgeous animation, or maybe people got disappointed this wasn't like Bocchi? To be honest, this season I prefer "Girls band cry" over this, personally. Found characters and story more interesting there, despite CG and despite some people automatically dismissing the show because of it.
Apr 20, 3:43 PM
Jun 2019
0 Similarities, only the 4 girls Genre and a music anime
Apr 20, 3:46 PM

Jul 2017
They are very different beyond just girls joining up to form a band, but despite some things I found a bit tiresome and eye-rolling in Bocchi the Rock after a few episodes (like the humor being a bit too repetitive and overly forced after a while), that show was still very good for me and I've just not been able to enjoy this Jellyfish anime anywhere near it. Jellyfish seems to be more serious I would say in comparison but I don't enjoy whatsoever for the chemistry that the characters have so far.
Apr 20, 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
The era of comparing any music show with K-ON! has come to an end, the era of comparing any music show to Bocchi the Rock has begun. It reminded me of when MHA replaced Naruto as the universal battle shonen for fans and haters of the genre.
Apr 20, 7:07 PM

Jul 2015
Bocchi was mostly praised for it's comedy and infinite meme potential.
This one is more character driven coming of age story. Just because two shows have cute girls doing artistry it doesn't mean they are comparable.

Apr 20, 7:18 PM

Feb 2010
Bocchi bored me. This one is keeping my attention so far
Apr 20, 7:27 PM

Jul 2019
Both are good, and I won't say that there is 0% similarity. Both have their own atmosphere, I would say some are colliding but not too hard. Bocchi is more on its comedic side, while this one is more on its character background with some slips of gag. I would say both have that kind of atmospheres only with different amount of intensity.
Apr 20, 11:13 PM

Jan 2024
See, in my opinion, both shows are similar in the fact that both MC are affected by society in one way or the other while Bocchi's personality is exaggerated and without a reason,it fits the show's comedic theme.On the other hand,Jellyfish can't swim in the night is a teenage drama and speaks on the troubles that a teen has to face. So,in conclusion,that is the only vague similarity between the two shows.

It's okay if you forget me.

Apr 21, 12:18 AM

Feb 2020
Every all-female shows are nowadays either Bocchi or Lycoris Recoil spin-offs. I fail to understand the logic behind these comparisons.
Apr 21, 12:43 AM

Jul 2013
Not even remotely similar. Bocchi is about Bocchi to the point the other characters were highly underdeveloped. It's literally 90% Bocchi being a moeblob. This anime so far takes things in a more serious manner and we've seen the characters being fleshed a lot more. It doesn't seem like they're stopping here either since we're only at episode 3 so these characters will evolve even more.

I'm not saying either one is bad or good but they're not even comparable and this show can definitely stand on its own (along with Girls Band Cry).
Apr 21, 6:33 AM
Jul 2022
WatchTillTandava said:
Because three episodes into this show which I had been watching on a tentative kind of trial basis, I'm sure I'm going to end up continue watching as I'm surprised and impressed by it for more reasons than I care to detail and list out now right here at present, and I don't want to form a premature view of the show or set myself up for disappointment later.

But I'm asking as Bocchi the Rock! is one of those newer shows I always contemplated and was tempted to watch, but never did, and I hear them frequently being compared in some circles online. Are they that similar? Is a person who likes one likely to enjoy the other or it isn't that simple? Are there major or subtle differences? Is one more serious or silly, or music-focused versus character-focused?

I suppose that superficially and in the premise they seem like they could be very similar and belong to that same subgroup of shows, but sometimes the snapshot image you have of a series when you actually haven't sat down and watched it for yourself yet is shallow, stereotypical, and misleading. I just want to know if there's really one or more defining differences which sets these two apart.

you can compare this with Girls Band Cry, they have similar plot and if you like this, I think that is ok for you. Bocchi is comedy. it is interesting, but if you are looking for something similar to this, is not
Apr 21, 3:19 PM

Jun 2019
Even though I'm not responding to each and every post individually as that would be a little too redundant and tiring and some really have no need of a reply, please know that I read each and every one. And I appreciate the measure of clarification and insight which they all provide, even where they differ.

Also, a few of these replies specifically have made me more interested in Bocchi, now to the point where I'll probably eventually watch it.

RobertBobert said:
The era of comparing any music show with K-ON! has come to an end, the era of comparing any music show to Bocchi the Rock has begun. It reminded me of when MHA replaced Naruto as the universal battle shonen for fans and haters of the genre.

Although, funnily enough, in my case it isn't only that I haven't seen Bocchi - I haven't seen a minute of either of them (let alone those two battle shounen series you mentioned). K-On! has been on my PTW list for however many years. I know its premise and that it's iconic to the point of almost being generationally-defining or a symbol of a certain generation within the anime community. Music-centric and/or music-themed series, whether with female or male casts, not unlike battle shounen, just aren't typically the sort of shows I tend to seek out or gravitate toward. But I'm not against watching anything on principle or due to genre.
WatchTillTandavaApr 21, 3:23 PM
Apr 21, 4:39 PM
Nov 2023
they're not similar and they aren't even in the same Calibar, Bocchi is MUCH better but this is very good as well, comparing them is unfair, Bocchi is probably the best CGDCT since K-on
Apr 21, 10:24 PM
Nov 2014
I would say that Girls Band Cry is way more similar to Bocchi than Jellyfish is. While Girls Band Cry is more serious than comedy, it shares the similarities of girls trying to start a band as well as a protagonist who struggles with new people and believing in herself. The animation and music are fantastic and it's probably my favorite thing airing at the moment.
Apr 21, 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Even though I'm not responding to each and every post individually as that would be a little too redundant and tiring and some really have no need of a reply, please know that I read each and every one. And I appreciate the measure of clarification and insight which they all provide, even where they differ.

Also, a few of these replies specifically have made me more interested in Bocchi, now to the point where I'll probably eventually watch it.

RobertBobert said:

Although, funnily enough, in my case it isn't only that I haven't seen Bocchi - I haven't seen a minute of either of them (let alone those two battle shounen series you mentioned). K-On! has been on my PTW list for however many years. I know its premise and that it's iconic to the point of almost being generationally-defining or a symbol of a certain generation within the anime community. Music-centric and/or music-themed series, whether with female or male casts, not unlike battle shounen, just aren't typically the sort of shows I tend to seek out or gravitate toward. But I'm not against watching anything on principle or due to genre.
@WatchTillTandava Hah, if you forget about silly K-ON! vs Bocchi, that was the time when K-ON! was such a universal and rare significant music show that literally EVERY music show was compared to them in one way or another. Maybe you will understand better if I give an example of Mortal Kombat and deadly martial arts championships.
Apr 28, 12:07 AM
Jan 2023
GrayFoxRJ said:

Girls band cry and jellyfish are 2 of my favorites so this season. I like bocchi 2 but comparing them isn't fair as they give off 2 separate vibes
May 5, 7:57 PM
Feb 2024
Spyder95 said:
GrayFoxRJ said:

Girls band cry and jellyfish are 2 of my favorites so this season. I like bocchi 2 but comparing them isn't fair as they give off 2 separate vibes

true! They only share a similar theme, but their Focus are completely different! even Jellyfish and GBC are pretty different all in all
May 5, 8:21 PM
Jan 2022
I don't think these two animes have such similarities.
May 5, 8:23 PM
Jan 2022
In bocchi I personally don't like the music, I just like the artistic style of the animation and the comedy that's all

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.