Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 1:25 PM
Aug 2014
Have heard that most of the good parts of this story occur in the latter half, and seeing as it seems to be getting more care than Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer I’m contemplating sticking it out as I haven’t been a massive fan of the first 2 episodes (they’re not bad necessarily, just kinda meh/forgettable). Can any manga readers give me an estimate as to the rough chapter/expected episode that you could say ‘if you don’t like it by now it just may not be for you’?
Jan 19, 2:18 PM

Apr 2021
Ankz said:
Have heard that most of the good parts of this story occur in the latter half, and seeing as it seems to be getting more care than Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer I’m contemplating sticking it out as I haven’t been a massive fan of the first 2 episodes (they’re not bad necessarily, just kinda meh/forgettable). Can any manga readers give me an estimate as to the rough chapter/expected episode that you could say ‘if you don’t like it by now it just may not be for you’?

It’s already good so don’t know what you mean?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 19, 2:55 PM
Aug 2014
ejleon said:
Ankz said:

🙄 OK, does it get better?
Jan 19, 3:41 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Ankz
ejleon said:
Ankz said:

🙄 OK, does it get better?
@Ankz I don’t understand, it is already good for viewing, what do you mean by “better” ?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jan 19, 3:51 PM
Aug 2014
ejleon said:
@Ankz I don’t understand, it is already good for viewing, what do you mean by “better” ?

I will continue to wait for someone who is not a troll to answer.
Jan 19, 4:16 PM
Jan 2023
It'll start to pick up from episode 7, and it gets good from episode 14 and onwards. I'd say if you don't enjoy the episodes 14-25 or even episodes 14-19 then the series may not be for you.
InNeedOfANameJan 19, 4:19 PM
Jan 19, 4:18 PM
Jan 2023
ejleon said:
Ankz said:

As much as I like Mizukami's stories, they tend to have slow starts and this one has the slowest start out of all his big mangas. I'm glad to see you're enjoying it though.
InNeedOfANameJan 19, 4:27 PM
Jan 19, 4:26 PM
Aug 2014
InNeedOfAName said:
It'll start to pick up from episode 7, and it gets good from episode 14 and onwards. I'd say if you don't enjoy the episodes 14-25 or even episodes 14-19 then the series may not be for you.

Awesome, exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks!
Jan 19, 4:29 PM

Apr 2021
Ankz said:
InNeedOfAName said:

I wasn’t a troll.

You are just impatient and unwise.

Jan 19, 4:31 PM

Apr 2021
InNeedOfAName said:
ejleon said:

As much as I like Mizukami's stories, they tend to have slow starts and this one has the slowest start out of all his big mangas. I'm glad to see you're enjoying it though.

There nothing slow about this anime.

It already explained everything we need to know.

Jan 19, 4:40 PM
Aug 2014
ejleon said:
Ankz said:

I wasn’t a troll.

You were being deliberately obtuse and you know it lol. It’s alright though - the other commentor wasn’t, and so I won’t be following this thread any longer.
AnkzJan 30, 6:51 AM
Jan 19, 7:57 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Ankz
ejleon said:
Ankz said:

I wasn’t a troll.

You were being deliberately obtuse and you know it lol. It’s alright though - the other commentor wasn’t, and so I won’t be following this thread any longer.
@Ankz the show is already enjoyable … I don’t need someone else to tell me what to keep watching like you do
ejleonJan 19, 10:16 PM

Jan 20, 1:36 PM
Jan 2024
Ankz said:
ejleon said:

So then what are you looking for? You didn’t say what you wanted to be changed, you just said you didn’t like Sengoku Youko. I think it’s good and am excited to see how it unfolds
Jan 20, 1:36 PM
Jan 2024
Ankz said:
ejleon said:

So then what are you looking for? You didn’t say what you wanted to be changed, you just said you didn’t like Sengoku Youko. I think it’s good and am excited to see how it unfolds
Jan 21, 5:29 AM
Dec 2020
Damn bruh, bro just asked a simple question and some idiots are upset.
Jan 21, 5:30 AM
Dec 2020
The dud asked a simple question and you mfs are upset.
Jan 21, 10:04 AM

Mar 2018
I personally love it all, but the beginning in particular is rather slow. Stick with it until "That moment" and you will be gripped to the screen, like how I was with the manga
Jan 21, 10:04 AM

Mar 2018
I personally love it all, but the beginning in particular is rather slow. Stick with it until "That moment" and you will be gripped to the screen, like how I was with the manga
Jan 22, 6:17 AM
Oct 2017
I might be bias but from three Mizukami's manga that I read there is no ‘if you don’t like it by now it just may not be for you’, it's either you like it from the start or not. Why, because his story has a clear cut objective from the start, or at least that is my own opinion about his story because I personally never feel that moment of 'I'm glad I read it through until this point' since I enjoyed it from the start already. But then again, I'm of opinion to not waste time on something I don't like even if people says it will get better on chapter 30 or 87 or something.
Jan 22, 9:32 AM
Mar 2018
Don't worry, it'll pick up. Stick with Mizukami's stories and you'll be well rewarded!
It's just that, like one commenter said, this one is particularly slow and the manga is the longest he's worked on in terms of number of chapters (90 something iirc)
Jan 22, 12:15 PM
Jun 2016
its intresting if you care to learn some of the spoilers, if anime watcher only then tough luck, like most adaptations this got toned down hard for tv.
Jan 23, 12:06 AM

Aug 2018
Episode 1 is when it gets good.
Jan 23, 4:08 PM
Jan 2023
nero65 said:

It's unfortunate how people can be sometimes. It's good to discuss and ask questions but then things like this thread happens and that just creates a negative image of the viewers who currently enjoy the series.
Jan 24, 8:56 AM

Aug 2016
Considering it's based on a Mizukami manga, I guess episode 38
:v
Jan 24, 8:57 AM
Jun 2016
InNeedOfAName said:
nero65 said:

It's unfortunate how people can be sometimes. It's good to discuss and ask questions but then things like this thread happens and that just creates a negative image of the viewers who currently enjoy the series.

Spirit circle anime when
Jan 24, 9:02 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to InNeedOfAName
nero65 said:

@InNeedOfAName how do you want someone to answer the most stupid question you can ask regarding a show?
Jan 24, 1:21 PM

Feb 2019
It’s already good
Jan 24, 2:42 PM

Jan 2020
It's good right from the get go, if you're looking for instant climax moments rather than slow burn stories then you should probably watch something like solo leveling instead.
Jan 24, 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
Read the manga of this and it was pretty mid.
Jan 24, 5:01 PM

Apr 2022
i'll come back here if it does.
Jan 24, 9:05 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to InNeedOfAName
@InNeedOfAName Thank you for the detailed answer. I'll look forward to how the story unfolds.

To other readers:

I actually wasn't too keen on the first two episodes, but I warmed up to the show a bit by Episode 3. I think I got a pretty clear idea of what the show is going for by the end of the episode. So I think the usual 3-episode rule can be applied.

Of course, we don't know whether the show will live up to its promise later on, but I'm fairly optimistic.
Jan 29, 9:53 PM

May 2015
i don't know either but since you said it gets better in the second half, then it should get better after ep 19
Feb 15, 3:29 AM

Apr 2008
You can tell that this is the sort of plot to slowly build rather than start off full throttle. They're going to start off episodic, introduce you to the characters, give you some background, let you get to know them, then slowly raise the stakes. At some point there will be a reveal that the plot is much bigger than it initially seemed.

I think for some people (maybe if you watch too much TikTok) that's going to feel unsatisfactory. From my point of view, I would rather a show start slow and end really good than it be really awesome at the start and slowly peter out because it has nowhere to go and no long-term plan.

The ~6.75 rating this show currently has gives me the feel of people rating it on a sort of short-term view; from my point of view it seems to be laying a decent foundation with a longer-term mindset. It's definitely above the quality of the rating it's currently getting. (I would peg it as at least 7.5, though it depends on how well they execute on what they've set up).

The one thing I will note is that this show does feel maybe a little more aimed towards a younger audience, so if you're in your 20s+ it just might not be the right vibe for you.
Feb 16, 7:23 AM

Oct 2012
When it started, obviously.
Feb 18, 7:55 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Reply to ddrcrono
You can tell that this is the sort of plot to slowly build rather than start off full throttle. They're going to start off episodic, introduce you to the characters, give you some background, let you get to know them, then slowly raise the stakes. At some point there will be a reveal that the plot is much bigger than it initially seemed.

I think for some people (maybe if you watch too much TikTok) that's going to feel unsatisfactory. From my point of view, I would rather a show start slow and end really good than it be really awesome at the start and slowly peter out because it has nowhere to go and no long-term plan.

The ~6.75 rating this show currently has gives me the feel of people rating it on a sort of short-term view; from my point of view it seems to be laying a decent foundation with a longer-term mindset. It's definitely above the quality of the rating it's currently getting. (I would peg it as at least 7.5, though it depends on how well they execute on what they've set up).

The one thing I will note is that this show does feel maybe a little more aimed towards a younger audience, so if you're in your 20s+ it just might not be the right vibe for you.
@ddrcrono I'm noticing the same pattern for Chiyu Mahou this season when people realized that the anime is methodically slow-paced and taking its time to focus on its characters and since then it's been continuously dropping score as well (although not on the same level as Sengoku Youko has been hit with).

I still can't fathom how THIS is one of the lower rated shows this season.
Feb 18, 9:50 AM
Jan 2019
Reply to Smudy
@ddrcrono I'm noticing the same pattern for Chiyu Mahou this season when people realized that the anime is methodically slow-paced and taking its time to focus on its characters and since then it's been continuously dropping score as well (although not on the same level as Sengoku Youko has been hit with).

I still can't fathom how THIS is one of the lower rated shows this season.
@Smudy Battle shounen brainrot taking over the fanbase. I'm just glad romance shows are getting the love they deserve at least.
Feb 26, 12:43 AM

Jul 2021
InNeedOfAName said:

It looks like this guy was onto something.

I bring good tidings after episode 7: this show really isn't what it seems in the first episode - a happy-go-lucky Shounen adventure fighting yokai. In fact I'm still not sure what it is yet.

It's taking some surprising swings, and I keep finding myself more invested than I expected, to the characters and the little goings-on.

I wouldn't say there's a clear point where the story really takes off (so far), but it's more of a gradual climb that you don't really notice until afterwards.

I'm now pretty excited to see where this goes.
Feb 28, 5:17 PM

Feb 2010
Today's chapter was interesting, and the anime has good animation. I'm enjoying it, I think this anime is underrated.
Feb 28, 6:55 PM

Feb 2011
bro i doubt you have so much going on in your life on a wednesday that you can't spare 22 minutes to watch the show.

Just.. watch the show.

it's pretty deec

Feb 29, 1:05 AM
Oct 2019
The fact that the rating is still below 7 is crazy.
Jul 14, 1:49 AM

Jun 2016
ejleon said:

ejleon said:
the show is already enjoyable … I don’t need someone else to tell me what to keep watching like you do

Dude, just being entertaining isn't enough. We have limited time and spending time staring at the ceiling in silence is ultimately more fulfilling than pure entertainment. It needs to be interesting, or emotional, or something you fall in love with. If you watch every enjoyable anime and every enjoyable manga that comes out, you'll run out of time to exist beyond external stimulation.

Mizukami is a trustworthy author, but this is one of his earlier works and so his reputation alone can't carry a series.

EDIT: Oh, and a show still needs to be enjoyable for the record. I'm not some art snob who thinks everything needs to be gate-kept to people fine with slogging through boring work.
Jul 14, 9:23 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Tenderizer79
ejleon said:

ejleon said:
the show is already enjoyable … I don’t need someone else to tell me what to keep watching like you do

Dude, just being entertaining isn't enough. We have limited time and spending time staring at the ceiling in silence is ultimately more fulfilling than pure entertainment. It needs to be interesting, or emotional, or something you fall in love with. If you watch every enjoyable anime and every enjoyable manga that comes out, you'll run out of time to exist beyond external stimulation.

Mizukami is a trustworthy author, but this is one of his earlier works and so his reputation alone can't carry a series.

EDIT: Oh, and a show still needs to be enjoyable for the record. I'm not some art snob who thinks everything needs to be gate-kept to people fine with slogging through boring work.
@Tenderizer79 thanks for sharing your opinion, but it was not just entertaining, it was enjoyable to watch, at least for those who don’t need perfection
ejleonJul 14, 6:22 PM

Aug 3, 5:30 AM
Aug 2014
Reply to Tenderizer79
ejleon said:

ejleon said:

@Tenderizer79 very well said! Wholeheartedly agree.
Oct 9, 11:40 PM
Jan 2021
episode 1 already telling you everything about the mc a justice thing, double standard and hypocrite.
if you like that thing as an mc keep watching since in your view it's already good.
if that kind of thing is trash in your opinion it's better to stop in the future it getting worse its disgusting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

84 by Spirelord »»
Sep 16, 3:14 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 31

39 by Spirelord »»
Sep 10, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 17

60 by V_001 »»
Sep 9, 7:57 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10

90 by Apreggi »»
Jul 11, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 3

69 by Rexnihilo »»
Jul 3, 1:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.