Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
The 1-hour long premiere to the 2-cour experience that is mangaka Daiki Kobayashi's Ragna Crimson, and I have heard good things about the manga, so hopefully this premiere will do its job.

Ulma Sound Junction's OP is the perfect fit to this dark fantasy action.

Ragna and his companion of Leonica being dragon hunters, the latter being the 12-year-old prodigy who has amassed many kills for her age and is well known by the community. But Ragna is more like her baggage carrier, and some no-name adventurer of Sykes Charluke being jealous of Ragna, Leo brandishes her sword of silver to showcase her position as the famed dragon hunter, showing that she's a force to be reckoned with. But Ragna himself is a thorn to Leo being a weakling, and he wants to get stronger, while being Leo's caretaker for everything, including her meals and baths. But a nightmare from a long-haired man that he faced of Leo's demise, the trauma always keeps popping on Ragna's mind each and every time.

As if a day without quests sound abnormal, a flock of dragons attacking the city without dragon hunters, Donapierru seems to where Ragna's dream revelation may hold true. But as much as Leo comforts Ragna and wishes for him to speak his mind, his past as a cursed human who is the target of dragons, his light being the fearless, strong lil' young Leo who rescued him, led him out of his misery who taught him to be a dragon hunter. The nightmare continues on its fateful day where Donapierru was completely wiped out from the dragon horde. But before they could do so, calamity strikes them right in their own town, which Ragna fears for the worst. And true as feared, the dragons are led by an unknown entity, whose presence is the objective where Leo would meet her demise.

As Ragna falls into deeper waters from the superior dragon his revenge to get stronger and hunt down every last dragon, he's met with his future self, whom he has already lost everything, including the hero that he's supposed to protect, retaliating that his current self did not have the strength to protect her. And if power is what Ragna wanted, his future self bestows all strength onto him, with both past and future becoming one. The unknown entity: Grymwelte, 10th of the Blood of the Wing, he's the lowest ranked, but he's no joke as his God likes to partake in confections, which because of the shop being robbed, their God was not pleased and declared war on the city. Instead of the dream sequence, Ragna came back with his body fused together with the silver sword, something which his future self managing to develop magic for that purpose, with that power equal akin to a god, enough to freeze and kill Grymwelte with his Silverline Battle Arts.

Ragna did save Leo out of her predicament and changed her future, and so will he change his future of the day where all dragons will be slain, thanks to his past being the not the Dragon Hunter, but a Dragon Reaper, as Lese Empire's cities have been massacred. But even the No. 2 Sykes is also surprised to want to know what the new Ragna is made out of. He may be out cold now from his tiredness, but as dragons continue to ravage their town from the forest, so will the gears of time shift into a new future.

What a premiere encasing Chapter 1, the most important opener. Furthermore, being a 2-cour show, this one may be Silver Link's best production yet this year, but only time will tell.
KANLen09Oct 6, 2023 11:26 PM
Sep 30, 2023 9:00 AM

Dec 2021
Wow, this episode really grabbed my attention. This was one hell of a great start.

The boy, Ragna, a novice dragon hunter, formed a team with the genius girl, Leonica, who boasted an overwhelming number of dragon slayings. Together, they faced the challenge of hunting dragons every day. However, their routine was disrupted when a superior dragon, Grymwelte, appeared with strength far surpassing any they had previously vanquished. Faced with this formidable enemy, Ragna was haunted by nightmares that had plagued him for the past few days — a vision of himself walking towards a future of despair and loneliness, possessing the ultimate power yet having nothing to protect. In an unfamiliar place, future Ragna stands motionless. An unknown figure deduces his expected demise, the cost of power transfer. Present Ragna, too, will pay a price eventually, witnessing his own demise. Despite the surprise of seeing him grin for the first time in years, the unknown figure remains unfazed. All that matters is the slaying of dragons. On that fateful day, six of the seven cities in the Kingdom of Lese fell, and Ragna the Reaper was born decades ahead of schedule.

The god-dragon flew into a rage and commanded the country's destruction over his beloved bakery's demise. I expected it to follow the dark, revenge fantasy path it initially set up, but it pleasantly surprised me by maintaining a mature theme without going down that route. Honestly, if they had omitted the final hints and such, I would have been perfectly content with this as a one-shot, ready to move on. Very few series begin with such a heartwarming tone.

I'll be keeping a close watch on this.

Sep 30, 2023 10:25 AM

Feb 2019
Dark fantasy fans eating good this season with this, Dead Mount part 2 and Goblin Slayer 🔥

Again, love the trend of shows going with hour long premieres, especially when they early chapters are as lore heavy as this one. Ragna and Leonica have a really interesting dynamic and holy shit his backstory is tragic. Parents eaten by dragons, then people who take him in get eaten, then the next guy gets eaten. Dragons are like goblins in this universe. Interesting.

This world feels so ruthless and chaotic. The humans live under constant threat of attack and seem outnumbered and outmatched by the dragons. Fighting a losing battle.

“Blood is blades. Blood is flame” damn that’s how you introduce an antagonist. Chills. What overwhelming strength. And Grymwelte is the weakest of the superior dragons.. no way humanity stands a chance.

Wait did bro really wipe out an entire kingdom because his favourite desert shop closed 💀anime Karen lol 😂 considering the dark story premise that just doesn’t fit at all lmao, but I’ll allow it.

That Silverine Battle Arts entrance was INSANE. Goosebumps throughout that entire scene. Fusing with your future self, getting all the memories and abilities is a really cool mechanic. A lot of fresh storybeats in this one, for me at least

I wonder who’s the other person who sent their powers back in time that was in that time-well with future Ragna.. what’s the price to be paid too? Lot of cool set ups that I can’t wait to see paid off. Guess we’ll get some answers next week with the forest attack

Poor Sykes, buddy just wants some respect and Leo won’t even call him by his name lmao
Marinate1016Sep 30, 2023 11:06 AM

Aug 2016
they really skipped the hardworking montage and gave him OP powers. like a fighter turned mage. absolute "I know kungfu" moment

Oct 2017
That was a pretty interesting premiere. Shirou got reincarnated in a world with dragons, lost everything, suffered and got strong at the cost of losing everything. Joking aside felt bad for the old Ragna, dude went through a lot but thankfully he was able to give his powers to the Ragna in the past and now he can use them to protect Leo. It comes at the cost of reduced lifespan but he won't mind cause he'll get to protect her and I do hope that by the end they find a way to fix it. Btw Leo's quite adorable, even more with Inorin voicing her, must protect.

Animation seemed decent throughout the episode and action scenes were nice. Ragna's power seems cool. He merged with the silver sword and increased it's potential by a lot. Btw the dragons are more like vampires with how they burn in sunlight. Wonder if there's any reason for that or that's just how things are in this world. Also the reason for the dragon god to destroy the nation was...I mean for real?

Liked the episode and quite looking forward to seeing in which direction this'll go.
Sep 30, 2023 10:32 AM

Sep 2019
Reply to Marinate1016
Dark fantasy fans eating good this season with this, Dead Mount part 2 and Goblin Slayer 🔥

Again, love the trend of shows going with hour long premieres, especially when they early chapters are as lore heavy as this one. Ragna and Leonica have a really interesting dynamic and holy shit his backstory is tragic. Parents eaten by dragons, then people who take him in get eaten, then the next guy gets eaten. Dragons are like goblins in this universe. Interesting.

This world feels so ruthless and chaotic. The humans live under constant threat of attack and seem outnumbered and outmatched by the dragons. Fighting a losing battle.

“Blood is blades. Blood is flame” damn that’s how you introduce an antagonist. Chills. What overwhelming strength. And Grymwelte is the weakest of the superior dragons.. no way humanity stands a chance.

Wait did bro really wipe out an entire kingdom because his favourite desert shop closed 💀anime Karen lol 😂 considering the dark story premise that just doesn’t fit at all lmao, but I’ll allow it.

That Silverine Battle Arts entrance was INSANE. Goosebumps throughout that entire scene. Fusing with your future self, getting all the memories and abilities is a really cool mechanic. A lot of fresh storybeats in this one, for me at least

I wonder who’s the other person who sent their powers back in time that was in that time-well with future Ragna.. what’s the price to be paid too? Lot of cool set ups that I can’t wait to see paid off. Guess we’ll get some answers next week with the forest attack

Poor Sykes, buddy just wants some respect and Leo won’t even call him by his name lmao
Marinate1016 said:
Nice, obligatory incest bait fantasy show of the season 🔥.
How exactly is this an incest bait?
Sep 30, 2023 10:34 AM
Jul 2023
An excellent start!
The story, the setting, the characters, the humour and the animation is all good.

Plus the Metalcore OP, Dragon Dio 10/10 JoJo reference and a good blend of 2D and 3D animations make it all the better.

Can’t wait for more world building.

P.S:the reason given on why the dragons attack is pretty stupid lol
MainnusSep 30, 2023 12:23 PM
Sep 30, 2023 10:41 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to Marinate1016

@Marinate1016 it's actually dmdp season 1 part 2 🤓
Sep 30, 2023 10:42 AM

Feb 2019
Spoof_490 said:
@Marinate1016 it's actually dmdp season 1 part 2 🤓

Lmao my fault OG, edited
Sep 30, 2023 11:05 AM

Jul 2023
a way better than I expected. just from this episode alone we already get solid images of the main plot, setting, and main character. ragna is a pretty interesting main character and both his seiyuu (current and future ragna) really do a good job at it
Sep 30, 2023 11:09 AM

Nov 2011
Loved this episode 1. I am super intrigued by the characters mainly because a lot of them look so fucking cool.

The story and world seems super interesting and I gotta love how this war started because of a sweets shop getting Robbed lol.

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 30, 2023 11:14 AM
Sep 2023
Ah ye, this looks great, was worried about someone animation my baby but i have faith now
Sep 30, 2023 11:18 AM
Dec 2021
omg, for a moment I thought I was going to give it drop, but the plot that evolved at the end of the episode pleases me. This is going to be a long journey for sure, I'm ready, I'm going to follow this series.
Sep 30, 2023 11:22 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to Mainnus
An excellent start!
The story, the setting, the characters, the humour and the animation is all good.

Plus the Metalcore OP, Dragon Dio 10/10 JoJo reference and a good blend of 2D and 3D animations make it all the better.

Can’t wait for more world building.

Mainnus said:

@Mainnus that's so true haha, but for some reason it feels perfectly balanced
Sep 30, 2023 11:24 AM
Apr 2021
I thought it was supposed to be one hour?? it only had 30 minutes on HiDive
Sep 30, 2023 11:32 AM

May 2020
They needed to make dude somehow stronger, so they just had him meet his future self... what??? That's honestly hilarious.

Though keeping that and the edgy transformation aside, if we'd have actually decent fights with these dragon something something, then there's a little to look forward to. Also, dude's dragon affinity is insane.. whoever he lived with literally ended up dying.. so, hope that luck changes.

By the way, not sure how in the blue hell a forest is attacking them lol.
Sep 30, 2023 11:42 AM
Sep 2015
My first thought is this falls into a "reincarnate into the younger self in the past" category. But there's more to that. At first I'm not sure about two voice actors for Ragna, but it's actually the message that this anime treats Ragna as of now and Ragna from the future as different person. Ragna as of now doesn't experience pain and loss like Ragna from the future.

But honestly, God getting angry over cake restaurant makes me not sure if I have to take this anime seriously or not. I mean Superior Dragon in human form has such a majestic design, if God just gets a generic tsundere loli design I'd be disappointed.
Sep 30, 2023 11:44 AM

Apr 2011
It's a 6/10 alrite. I'll have to suspend my disbelief a lot to not drop this one.
Sep 30, 2023 11:53 AM
Aug 2023
Is it just me or do these dragons sound like vampires?

Silver and sunlight?!

I wonder if they show up in pictures from Ragna’s camera.
Sep 30, 2023 12:07 PM
Sep 2023
Absolute banger. Rating deserves to be way higher. The monologue and dialogue between future self and past self were great.
Sep 30, 2023 12:26 PM
Jun 2021
I really liked this first episode. Just a action-fantasy that focuses on good story-telling and character introduction without telling you too much about the circumstances - and without any over-sexualized characters. The animation was pretty good the whole episode. The "lost lost lost won"-part was maybe a bit over the top and a bit too long. And somehow i wished the girl would really die to make it way more dramatic in the first episode. His powers are nice but if he is already this strong - will there be even a power up in the near future? Does he even feel he needs to train with getting invicible suddenly? But i look already forward to the mighty dragon monarchs - they were made pretty scary.
Overall a 8.5, thats why i gave a 9.
Sep 30, 2023 12:29 PM
May 2015
The dragons looked a lot better than I had feared they would based off the PVs, but somehow the overall art felt lacking. Art isn't a make or break thing by any means, but the story and characters weren't as good as I was hoping either. I plan to keep watching, but I see it very likely this gets a 7/10 at best from me. But there are a lot of episodes to go and its way too soon to cast judgement, so we will see where it goes.
RaarzSep 30, 2023 12:35 PM
Sep 30, 2023 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
Oh nice, a double length premiere. I wasn't expecting that.

Part of me was expecting Leo to still die anyway, even with Ragna taking all of these countermeasures to prevent that. Still, his power-up looked cool and the action scenes looked pretty good. Crazy to think that dragon Dio was the weakest of the superior dragons, future antagonists are going to go insane.

The story setup seems pretty interesting so far. Good first impressions from this one for me.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Sep 30, 2023 12:42 PM

Jan 2023
I love how Mushoku Tensei S2 has an 8.4 and did nothing to deserve it, but Ragna is a 7.19, and did more in 47 minutes than the entirety of MT S2.
Just shows how out of touch the majority of the community on here is.
These episodes did their job. I was anticipating this to be good from its' trailer, and these eps delivered the hook. Let's hope it delivers the rest of the way.
Sep 30, 2023 12:55 PM
Apr 2020
What a coincidence 😂
I started the recent genshin archon quest today
leo and furina same voice actor
Things get triggered due to pastry lol

Solid first episode waiting to see more of this
Sep 30, 2023 1:27 PM
Dec 2020
Le doy 10 porque veo que sobrevaloran mucho los demás animes, este cap es mínimo un 8.
Sep 30, 2023 2:06 PM

Apr 2015
That was honestly an okayish start, It wasnt anything too amazing but it did what it was supposed to do and that is set the story up. They really subverted my expectations because I was expecting the girl to die but sike hahaha.
Op is good too, I'll enjoy this I think.
Sep 30, 2023 2:17 PM
Aug 2021
This first episode surpassed my expectations, amazing voice acting IMO.
Sep 30, 2023 2:38 PM
Aug 2023
this ep was very cool and i loved the art style
Sep 30, 2023 2:54 PM
May 2022
I hate 12 y/o little shit getting arrogant and the paedophile bastard who simps her.
Sep 30, 2023 3:19 PM
Night Owl

Sep 2022
This one has definitely potential! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season!
Sep 30, 2023 3:19 PM
Sep 2021
Sorry but meh.. It felt very generic, the animation felt flat, most of the time (but not always) they would make some camera changes to avoid animating hits or movements.. and well, even tho what happens at the end, it doesn't make it up for low budget production (but well, it's Silverlink so was to be expected).

Good luck.

Sep 30, 2023 3:21 PM
Aug 2020
it was an excellent start

i started the manga today before the first ep

and i have big hope for this one
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Sep 30, 2023 3:22 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Tablekun
I love how Mushoku Tensei S2 has an 8.4 and did nothing to deserve it, but Ragna is a 7.19, and did more in 47 minutes than the entirety of MT S2.
Just shows how out of touch the majority of the community on here is.
These episodes did their job. I was anticipating this to be good from its' trailer, and these eps delivered the hook. Let's hope it delivers the rest of the way.
@Tablekun is that inukai San as your pfp? If so please never give an opinion again
Sep 30, 2023 4:21 PM
Nov 2016
As a Ragna Crimson fan I must say... goddamn it, this is why I didn't want a mid-ass studio like SILVER LINK handling this franchise, the animation and directing looked pretty generic and average, not horrible by any means, but I'm not impressed by it either, it looks like your standard generic anime so this is already not a good sign for me.

Now, to be fair, this is only the 1st episode and nobody should be judging the whole anime based on the 1st episode, but the 1st episode is one of the most important episodes in a series IMHO, it needs to be good to attract the audience, and it needs to leave a good impression and the impression I got wasn't that good, I just hope SILVER LINK doesn't drop the ball hard later on.

Anyway, yeah, that's SILVER LINK for ya. I will give SILVER LINK more chances but I don't expect much from this mid-ass studio either, read the manga guys.
Sep 30, 2023 4:25 PM

Nov 2016
Power up from the future. Got baited into thinking this would be tragic story where thr MC would have to grind, instead he's OP from the get go. Hi instant gratification. Ok, technically he had to work for it like a mofo, lol. Ragnas dedication and tenacity gave me Netero vibes. I guess I can live with the turn of events since the premise for this one is pretty cool.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 30, 2023 4:40 PM

Apr 2008
The dragons could have looked better but weren't terrible. What's really going to make this series is whether the cost hinted at appropriately balances Ragna's power. My past self worked for it is a little more interesting than gift from an isekai goddess, but if he just stomps on everything between bouts of sleepiness it's not gonna be that interesting.
Sep 30, 2023 4:42 PM

Jul 2011
This episode was epic af. You can say all you want about all this power fantasy nonsense, this was real fun to watch. I will be following this one for sure and hopefully it keeps up the good momentum.
Sep 30, 2023 4:57 PM
Nov 2016
My other complaint about this episode is this important part which I loved in the manga:

This part is the reason I started reading the manga in the 1st place since initially, I was reading Ragna Crimson out of boredom and once I finished the 1st chapter I was going to stop reading it, but once I saw this part in the manga I got hyped as hell and I started reading the manga for real, however, in the anime this part is really crappy, it was lacking that "epicness" from the manga, it lacked "OOMPH".
Sep 30, 2023 5:33 PM
Jun 2021
that episode are so awesome
Sep 30, 2023 6:53 PM

Mar 2014
The tragic story of the weak MC (soon to be strong) was actually quite interesting, his future self telling his past self what's going to happen, and MC trying to avoid that future to save the little girl.

but the author killed my interest in this Anime, because they basically substituted Vampires with Dragons, so everything became "meh"...

oh as if that was not bad enough, the reason why the Vampires (dragons) went on a killing spree, is because a Bakery that their leader liked, went out of business after being robbed.

What the hell is that weak sauce back end story to everything?!?!/ bleh...

Anyway, I might catch a few episodes, just to see how MC evolves, but the show is pretty dead already, there is no real reason to watch this lousy story.
Sep 30, 2023 6:57 PM

Apr 2022
mid start, mid animation. guessing this'll be the overhyped fantasy of the season, like seven spellblades last season. guess i'll stick around for either 4 or 6 episodes before dropping it, if it doesn't improve because 24 is too much if it stays like this.
Sep 30, 2023 7:10 PM
Apr 2018
Gotta be one of the coolest set ups in Manga, period.

Not perfect, no. Awesome? YES! OH SO YES!!!
rvt
Sep 30, 2023 7:14 PM
Dec 2022
Fuckin' good shōnen series is here. Man, that first episode of 47 minutes was mind blowing. I dig this fr.
Sep 30, 2023 7:18 PM
Aug 2023
It was sort of eh. The animation isn't really anything special, and with 2 consecutive cours, will only get worse. The premise doesn't inspire confidence either, what with the MC suddenly being op. I do like the concept of the dragons though so I may give this a few more episodes.
Sep 30, 2023 8:20 PM

Dec 2021
I've been looking forward to this one as a manga reader and it didn't disappoint! The animation is decent, the dragons aren't a horrible cg mess, the voice actors chosen all fit and an hour long ep1 is perfect for setting up the story. I thought the trailers looked kinda bad so this was better than expected. I'll probably still prefer the manga most of the time but I am by no means unhappy with this. If the manga is an 8/10 this will probably be a 7/10. It's a fun series, can't wait to get into the later fights.
Sep 30, 2023 8:39 PM
Jan 2020
Silver Link's art style just looks cheap no matter how good the animation looks
Sep 30, 2023 8:44 PM

Apr 2020
I almost immediately wanted to drop it due to the Loli situation (Fall 2023 season being generous with that, I noticed xD). But that sudden turn to dark mode with the dream caught my attention enough. I'm not sure if the 'cake' situation was serious or just the villain trying to establish their dominance but... that was definitely a head-scratcher, to say the least.

But overall, the pacing for the storytelling was well done. And I kinda see why they had to make it a 2-in-1 episode; if the 1st episode only ended with the dream stuff, it wouldn't have enough to hook the viewers for the chaotic next episode. But since they merged them into one, we got the full intended first impression of the plot. It having 20+ planned episodes makes me worry about having lots of filler-for-fun episodes which might ruin the interesting dark aspect of the story but, I'll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best for now.
Sep 30, 2023 9:08 PM

Sep 2018
A lot to take in, did a pretty good job with the power scaling so early on, an enjoyable theme in anime like this.

Don't know how his older self managed to do all that or how they ended up connecting and communicating, but those are questions for another episode.

This show set the tone fairly quickly, it is giving me classic battle shounen vibes, hopefully we're in for a fun time.
Sep 30, 2023 9:20 PM
Aug 2021
Great start! Interested and excited to see where it goes.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ragna Crimson Episode 21 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 9

41 by Vindicater »»
Oct 14, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Ragna Crimson Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Mar 30

132 by nixlm7 »»
Oct 12, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Ragna Crimson Episode 20 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 2

42 by Vindicater »»
Oct 10, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Ragna Crimson Episode 19 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 24

26 by xZabuzax »»
Oct 10, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Ragna Crimson Episode 18 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 17

45 by Vindicater »»
Oct 9, 7:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.