Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2023 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
This anime has a colosseum, school bullying, etc.

It's like they added every magical academy trope and stuffed it into this show. At least it's about time Oliver finally stepped in to take some action. Nanao also demonsrated her fearless nature again. I swear, she fights with intensity almost every time we see her in action. 
Jul 28, 2023 9:30 AM

Jan 2018
Another banger episode. The fight was really good. Nanao looked really cool. 
Jul 28, 2023 9:57 AM

Feb 2021
Another J.C. Staff masterclass

Best episode so far
Jul 28, 2023 9:57 AM

Aug 2017
Animation was very good especially during the fight. Didn't expect Andrews would help and Nanao dealing the final blow was 🔥.
Jul 28, 2023 10:04 AM

Jul 2021
4 episodes in , this show isn't all that different from ur usual magical school anime. Why did LN fans hype this up like it would be revolutionary?
Jul 28, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 2021
"I didn't forget! I just couldn't remember!" Is there a difference? Genuine question.
The OP is really growing on me.
The fight with the garuda has some really nice camera movements.
And Oliver is as suspicious as ever. I wonder if we'll get his backstory this season (and it hasn't been confirmed if this will be one or two cours it seems. Two cours would be nice)
This episode was really well animated, nice! One of the best episodes so far.

This episode title: コロシアム(円形闘技場)— Colosseum (Circular arena)
Next episode title: グレアー(蛇眼)— Glare (Snake eye)
Jul 28, 2023 10:10 AM

Feb 2019
Absolutely love the visual animation style JC staff went with for the Garuda fight. Those camera movements were amazing. The disrespect this series has got in terms of its score is ridiculous.

Think they did the best scenes of volume 1 justice. It really drove home how terrifying and brutal the Garuda was. Another masterclass from them.

Nanao is so badass, I love her so much. Having the courage to stand up to all those students gathered there and call them out for abusing the animals, as an outsider and foreigner, took tremendous courage.

Really no complaints with the episode at all. The LN goes into more detail about what was happening in the audience and describes the attacks on the students in grizzly detail, but that’s about it.

Anime of the season.
Marinate1016Jul 28, 2023 10:17 AM
Jul 28, 2023 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Cestlavie_ said:
4 episodes in , this show isn't all that different from ur usual magical school anime. Why did LN fans hype this up like it would be revolutionary?

Because it is. You haven’t even finished volume 1 and you’re talking about a series with 10+ volumes 💀
Jul 28, 2023 10:17 AM
Sep 2021
The battle against garuda was good, but the bad things happening to oliver's group is just beginning.
Jul 28, 2023 10:21 AM
Sep 2015
I'm quite surprised that Garuda is very lively animated, this might be an expensive episode to produce.

The event is such a chaos, but at least that red-hair Malfoy becomes an ally.
Jul 28, 2023 10:25 AM
Demon of Desire

May 2023

It was a good episode.. The plot is progressing at a good rate so that's a relief.. The duel event itself had some good animation [even standing to the bully scene before that].. Maybe it's due to following source material, but the duel felt a bit hackneyed.. But still overall an enjoyable progressive episode..
Jul 28, 2023 10:38 AM

Mar 2010
Not surprised that this episode ended up being pretty strong, but I knew why was going to happen anyway. All the build up the previous week is starting to pay dividends. Def the best episode by far. Can't wait to see how they handle next week and especially one the after that.

Cestlavie_ said:
Same reasons any sources reader and including yourself hype adaptations of their favorite works, because we have experienced a lot more of it than you. Nobody called it revolutionary anyway, just that is one of best modern magical academy stories out right now. Why not just watch rest of show to find out instead of fishing for complaints.
Jul 28, 2023 10:40 AM

Mar 2021
That fight scene was really top notch. There are plenty of things I like about this show so far (the world building is interesting, the characters are distinctive but likable, the music is pretty good, I really like the OP, etc.), but the animation has been one of the strengths in my opinion. And even though I thought the animation was relatively solid at the start of this episode and previously, the fight with the Garuda really surprised me with its overall quality (dynamic camera movements, interesting choreography, etc.). 

This show might not be my favorite of the season, but it has done enough to make me want to see more for certain. 
Jul 28, 2023 10:51 AM
Jan 2023
Dude!! The fight!! Amazing!!
Jul 28, 2023 10:56 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
Monsters exacting vengeance upon humans was the best part of the episode.
Nanao fight was entertaining hope we get to see best girl in more fights in following episodes.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jul 28, 2023 11:02 AM
May 2023
so from what we've seen:
bullying is fine
3 bozos with no power can somehow beat a strong mythical beast which just slaughtered lots of mages
you can be forgiven from being a dick as long as you show some bravery (by using one spell)
animal/beast cruelty is not fine UNTIL you're in danger

anyways can't wait for next week.
Jul 28, 2023 11:19 AM
Dec 2021
personally, not enjoying this anime much.
Jul 28, 2023 11:39 AM

Jun 2020
finally a good episode
Jul 28, 2023 11:42 AM

Jun 2020
Embient said:
"I didn't forget! I just couldn't remember!" Is there a difference? Genuine question.

If by "couldn't remember", it is implied that "couldn't recall", there is a different. Otherwise not.
Jul 28, 2023 11:44 AM

Dec 2017
On one hand, we still don't have a story, we had characters, in fact we have many characters, and they all have motivations, and the show also has thems, but we still don't have a plot. 

On the other hand, loved the violence in this episode. 
Jul 28, 2023 11:46 AM

Dec 2017
sayu-simp said:

animal/beast cruelty is not fine UNTIL you're in danger
Self defense, bro. Same thing with people, it's wrong to kill people yet you have to defend yourself.
Jul 28, 2023 11:59 AM

Jan 2012
my fucking god was this epic

the fight and music was so ultra thrilling and i think the last time that the people pissed me so hard off was in shieldbro ep1 when that thot talked shit
those fucking magician subhumans
they all deserved to get their fucking faces smashed on the ground to know their place with demiurges obey skill

Jul 28, 2023 12:05 PM

Oct 2017
That turned into a mess fast, maybe those ignorant brats will learn a lesson from this and become better humans. Cause Andrews sure became good fast. Action was pretty good, Nanao fought well.
Jul 28, 2023 12:08 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Wow they are all so toxic in this school.
Because of the source material readers, i have high hope for this anime. We will see, crazy, bloody episode so far.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jul 28, 2023 12:33 PM

Feb 2013
The fight scene was absolutely sublime. Putting aside the animation itself, the angles and framing they used was so effective at portraying the menacing, imposing figure that was the garuda. That look in its eyes is all you need to know that its going to frick things up.

And man that sound design. The amazing sound design was already apparent during the Nanao Oliver duel. That same sound design is used here to great effect. Every spell cast, every strike, every clash, every impact can be felt keenly thanks to the booming sound effects that really sells the gravity of the fight. I feel jittery just from that alone.

And then there's the animation itself. The animation conveys the impacts in tandem with the sound. Combined with great use of camera angles. And you have me reeling in tension throughout the fight.
It was worth holding back the budget in the Salvadori & Rivermoore fight just for this. Bravo JC Staff
Jul 28, 2023 12:34 PM

May 2020
Where were the school authorities when that megasized angry bird was about to slaughter every living being from its sight?

Also they really did redeem that annoying prick lol. Damn.
Jul 28, 2023 12:40 PM
Nov 2018
Dude causes the whole situation...
Gets a medal from others for "staying and fighting while veryone else ran away"
what the hell...
Jul 28, 2023 12:41 PM
Apr 2022
Then people always talk bad about one person behind their back. I just want to give them a lesson..
So I know how Oliver and the others felt..

And then they also have to fight against a super strong dragon, de gozaru..
Jul 28, 2023 12:49 PM

Aug 2022
The animation was good, but everything else is still a mess.
Jul 28, 2023 12:53 PM
Jul 2022
Marinate1016 said:
Absolutely love the visual animation style JC staff went with for the Garuda fight. Those camera movements were amazing. The disrespect this series has got in terms of its score is ridiculous.

Think they did the best scenes of volume 1 justice. It really drove home how terrifying and brutal the Garuda was. Another masterclass from them.

Nanao is so badass, I love her so much. Having the courage to stand up to all those students gathered there and call them out for abusing the animals, as an outsider and foreigner, took tremendous courage.

Really no complaints with the episode at all. The LN goes into more detail about what was happening in the audience and describes the attacks on the students in grizzly detail, but that’s about it.

Anime of the season.

Anime of the season?
Surely you Jest 😃
Jul 28, 2023 12:54 PM

Feb 2019
Primordial_weeb said:
Marinate1016 said:

Anime of the season.

Anime of the season?
Surely you Jest 😃

Why would I be jesting?
Jul 28, 2023 12:56 PM

Aug 2011
Oliver seems weak compared to Nanao after this ep, and the animation was beautiful!
Jul 28, 2023 1:07 PM

Mar 2014
I am not entertained with this episode
RedChromeJul 28, 2023 1:14 PM
Jul 28, 2023 1:15 PM
Jul 2022
Marinate1016 said:
Primordial_weeb said:

Anime of the season?
Surely you Jest 😃

Why would I be jesting?

Nah bro, I Gotta Ask, Are You Sure we Watchin the same show?
Cus really, the only good thing about this show so far is the OP Theme. I can't even deny that.

But tell me, What do you see in this show that made you Say "Anime Of the season"?
Jul 28, 2023 1:15 PM

Dec 2021
Their detention setup is unbelievably harsh, resembling a medieval dungeon prison. Surprisingly, the sarcastic remarks from both Nanao and Guy about their body count added a touch of humor to the situation. Moreover, it's remarkable how resilient their school uniforms turned out to be, as Oliver's fireball only left the guy with a bloody mouth but no serious injury.

The scene of the Garuda taking down all those students was oddly amusing, and one could argue they somewhat deserved it after how they had treated the Kobolds. However, it's regrettable that Andrews managed to escape any consequences for his actions. It also seems like the creators wanted to expedite his redemption arc and highlight Nanao's badassery with that impressive beheading.

Jul 28, 2023 1:18 PM

Feb 2019
Primordial_weeb said:
Marinate1016 said:

Why would I be jesting?

Cus really, the only good thing about this show so far is the OP Theme. I can't even deny that.

But tell me, What do you see in this show that made you Say "Anime Of the season"?

Just gonna mute you.
Jul 28, 2023 1:20 PM
Jul 2022
Marinate1016 said:
Primordial_weeb said:

Just gonna mute you.

Guess I shouldn't have asked you to defend your statement. My bad
Jul 28, 2023 1:37 PM

Mar 2022
So far I haven't seen anything that separates this show from others with the same settings. This is your usual magical school anime. Well, with one difference. Characters here suck. 
Jul 28, 2023 1:50 PM
Apr 2017
Classic anime bullying with a not so classic resolution. Yes more bullies need to be beat up.

I love how they say "Mr." before people's names. I'm hella confused by the uniform colors and group dynamics outside of the main 6.

CG birdman was not bad. The fight ending makes sense on paper but did the wind spell from Mr. Andrews really create an opening?

Lots of blood this episode
Jul 28, 2023 2:11 PM
Oct 2016
A monstrous rampage that Nanao and Oliver had to stop. I can't say I feel bad about those despicable students being slaughtered. Since they were basically torturing those animals to fight but really be killed by the students sadistic nature. So seeing them be killed by the bird monster was oddly satisfying if also crazy and wild. Nanao had to step in to stop that crazy thing. Something that was way too powerful for normal students to fight. Nanao and Oliver combined badass skills were barely enough. The fight itself looked great, with solid three dimensional camera movement and very stylized animation. Nanao hair changing color keeps being cooler each time it happens. I love the white look it has shining like that, it makes her swinging that sword gracefully even better. Oliver could barely hang with such a creature fighting that way. Andrews got a slight redemption by helping them but I'm still not sure about him. Oliver standing up to those bullies making fun of Katie was cool too. It shows that even though he tried to just grit his teeth and let them be stupid sometimes its best to step in. Oliver knows when to step in like that moment and helping Nanao with the monster.
Jul 28, 2023 2:17 PM

Apr 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Primordial_weeb said:

Just gonna mute you.
Man asked to explain his statement in an online forum, chickens out. More news at six.
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Jul 28, 2023 2:24 PM

Jul 2021
Mixed feelings about this one… Sure it looks good and has an okay soundtrack but it just can’t keep me immersed. Drop angle for now, we’ll see
Jul 28, 2023 2:24 PM

Feb 2019
positiv2 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Just gonna mute you.
Man asked to explain his statement in an online forum, chickens out. More news at six.

Another one added to the block list
Jul 28, 2023 2:32 PM

Jul 2014
positiv2 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Just gonna mute you.
Because he did explain why he tought it was the "Anime of the season", about how much he liked the animation of this episode, how much he liked the characters, and the other mocked him for it without any argument?

I don't think it's the best anime this season either, but I agree to disagree, it's not a reason to mock others because they like something you don't like
Jul 28, 2023 2:56 PM

Apr 2020
Kuroimi said:
positiv2 said:
Because he did explain why he tought it was the "Anime of the season", about how much he liked the animation of this episode, how much he liked the characters, and the other mocked him for it without any argument?

I don't think it's the best anime this season either, but I agree to disagree, it's not a reason to mock others because they like something you don't like
Sure, but there are anime this season that easily obliterate this one in those categories. It's one thing to like it, and that is something I would not disparage anyone for, but calling it anime of the season especially when it's off to a slow and unimpressive start (which is reflected in its rating, now below 7 points) seems just silly at best, an insult to the actual contenders for that title at worst.
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Jul 28, 2023 3:04 PM
Feb 2020
mc is bad personalit
Jul 28, 2023 3:27 PM

Mar 2019
one of the best animes this season
Jul 28, 2023 3:31 PM
Jun 2021
This anime.... won't be that good...
Jul 28, 2023 3:34 PM

Sep 2018
I'd been a bit underwhelmed by this show so far, but that episode was pretty good as far as the genre goes.

I kind of like that Andrews is suffocating under the weight of expectations placed on him, I prefer baddies who aren't unredeemable.

Nanao was batshit mental once again, I like that too.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 28, 2023 4:03 PM

Mar 2022
Kuroimi said:
positiv2 said:

Disagree. Man basically wrote "I like it therefor it is anime of the season" and then complained about the score of the show.  And where is mockery? If something like "What do you see in this show that made you Say "Anime Of the season"? is consider mockery then... someone's ego is far too fragile.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.