Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2023 5:29 AM

Mar 2008
@traed Did you quoted me wrong in post? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2101809&msgid=69421434&show=150#msg69421434
The text you actually replied was made by @Fifitamboril.

Jun 25, 2023 5:30 AM
Jan 2022
really nice to be last episode
Jun 25, 2023 5:40 AM
Apr 2023
overall liked the anime. ep 11, 12 bad. ep13 better but downgraded the crime. so not that good so id say 6/10
Jun 25, 2023 5:55 AM

Nov 2007
FreezePeach said:
rvdboom said:

But I agree about your analysis about the writer tempting us to make the wrong conclusion.
I stand corrected, "nothing happened" is indeed not an option anymore.
rvdboom said:
FreezePeach said:
But I agree about your analysis about the writer tempting us to make the wrong conclusion.I stand corrected, "nothing happened" is indeed not an option anymore.
A bit difficult to have this conversation on an Anime thread since it's discussing parts of the manga which were not adapted yet. :-)

But I'm not disregarding your point of view completely, it has merits and the true story might be a mix of both.
Beware, hide future developments with Spoiler tags.

The author intentionally framed everything there with multiple dangling questions with answers that everyone has to come up with themselves. Some theories sound more plausible then others but it's still all reading between the lines or based on studies of rape survivors, common coping patterns, attachement pattern theory, some domestic abuse, some form of stockholm syndrome, fight or flight instincts, idendity crisis and the list goes on and on.
That arc was absolute whiplash and that was for sure intended. The reader was supposed to be distraught just as the characters where. The reader was supposed to be confused, disgusted, horrified and so on because the characters where. The reader was denied catharsis through violent means (beating robin to death) or through the means of answers (to many to count) because the characters where. It's a great sequence where the emotions of the characters mirror the ones of the reader (to a degree)

This whole arc has been going through my head for a while now and I've went through several stages of understanding but I also began at pure outrage since it was so different from how this is usually presented in media. I do understand the people that feel... a sense of betrayal and I've looped back to the question "Why did she go in for the kiss" more times then I wan't to admit. Her mind and sense of identity was already on the brink at that point and with him being almost naked, making his intentions clear and the handcuffs she knew what was going to happen. But he was still what she aspired to be, letting this go so quickly is impossible. She wanted his aknowledgment even before she was bodyswapped and he knew exactly that. Which is why he used the softer approach of being gentle, soft, whispering her original name. At that moment she knew that he will take her anyways but if she gave in they would at least have an emotional bond. She would be aknowledged as a person, as Haruki even. And that is why she went for the Kiss. It was all bait for him. He did it because he knew this would push her and he knew that the guilt that this would trigger would be enough to break her resolve for good. Which is why he said No and pushed her face to towards the mirror. He rejected her an emotional level as well and reduced her to her mere body. The stuff you reference in Chapter 39 is a callback to just that. She feels disgusted with herself for being baited like that and falling for it. The realization how extremely fragile she was is quite traumatic.
This also begs the uncomfortable question of: If he hadn't been such a rapist fuck... would she have given in freely?

The Helm arc
I think the Jacket stays because some parts stay with you no matter how bad things've gotten. She will get rid of it eventually.

Jun 25, 2023 6:28 AM

Jun 2016
Best show of the season. 10/10 

Crazy what was going on in that room.
Jun 25, 2023 6:33 AM
Jul 2020
My only complaint is not about Kiruko's actions but rather how the scenes following the rescue and beat down were too lighthearted in tone. It even had the upbeat ED playing over it.
Jun 25, 2023 6:51 AM
Jul 2020
Funny that after 13 episodes the only thing people are talking about is the rape part...
Jun 25, 2023 6:56 AM

Aug 2018
Do Maru and Kiruko get together in the manga or not yet? If they do I might read it
Jun 25, 2023 7:06 AM
Jul 2020
FreezePeach said:
rvdboom said:
Robin is a pretty mysterious and interesting character.
He obviously knew Usami. He seems to experience about man-eaters since he was probably responsible of the woman linked to a man-eater. His reactions when he saw Maru show that I was probably already aware of how much Maru was strong. Otherwise, he would not have tried to flee whn confronted with a 15-years old boy. He could have been told by Kiruko but I can't really imagine Kiruko talking about Maru that much. So I believe he's much more involved and for a long time with Hirukos that we might think.
I think people ignore quite a few facts about Robin.

The first talk between Kiruko and Robin was exactly what one would expect it to be. In the beginning he says:
- Calm down. Let's take our time talking. We both have a lot of questions.
And it ends with:
- I still have questions!
- I know. It's been five years. Let's take our time.

Then there is a rape scene, about a minute of it, with Robin saying few rather bizarre things. In particular:
- Now, whose body am I touching? Tell me, Haruki.
Right after that there is a flashback of Kiruko crumpling the first copy of her registration form which says: "Haruki Takehaya, age 18". We already seen it before, Kiruko was thinking about which gender to mark. She didn't mark any, crumpled the form and filled another one. It says that her name is just "Kiruko", she is female.

This flashback was not added randomly, it is relevant to the current scene, sex between Robin and Kiruko. She intended to register as Haruki but changed her mind. She is neither Haruki, nor Kiriko, last 5 years she was living as Kiruko, a girl. And what a coincidence - this is exactly what Robin just asked her about.

Then there is another coincidence - she suddenly starts to remember things that she couldn't possibly remember, her sister's memory:
- She could still be alive somewhere in this body. Maybe my mind is syncing with her body and I'm slowly turning into my sister. That would be great. I'd love that.
It never happened before. Why now?

We have no idea how Kiriko died and what kind of surgery was performed on her. It was a brain transplant, there seems to be only one doctor in existence capable to perform it - and Robin knows him. He was investigating this doctor, there were rumors that the doctor researches monsters and experiments on people. So does Robin now, another coincidence. He may know about the surgery more than anyone else. Maybe his "little experiment" was actually a literal experiment.

Also, Robin was a doctor in Immortal Order, the one who was "not going to let anyone else die". Remember the guy from ep5 who wanted to find a doctor in Immortal Order who could put a part of monster into him to make him immortal? I think he was talking about Robin. Unfortunately doctor Usami decided to die rather than give this information to us and Robin himself decided to turn rogue and run away.

Kiruko spent with Robin almost two days. We have no idea what happened during this time. According to the bridge guard they had lot of sex, but they had plenty of time to talk. We seen them together for about a minute and at that time Kiruko didn't put much resistance, neither physical or verbal. There was coercion at the start, but that's all we know.

When Maru shows up she is not handcuffed. There is a rope which she immediately unties, then gets her jacket and stops Maru from killing Robin.

The interaction between her and Robin is never discussed. All she has to say about it is:
- Now I've met him and finished what I set out to do, I don't need this [photo].

She is upset though:
- Everything I believed in was all a lie. I don't even know who I really am anymore. If you took me apart and put me back together again, I'd probably disappear and turn into my sister instead.
WTF is that? This is not normal in any way. It doesn't sound like "Robin is such an asshole" to me. She is upset about something else, suspiciously close to her shifting identity.

Note that Kiruko gets over her depression almost instantly. And she keeps her "Robin" jacket which supposedly would constantly remind her about her terrible trauma. It's almost like there is no trauma and she doesn't actually hate Robin.

This might be red herrings, this might be bad writing, but it looks intentional to me. The author keeps things vague and leaves himself enough wiggle room for alternative explanations of the events. Most obvious explanation have to ignore some facts completely or explain them as bad writing.

And all the Robin killers in this thread are hilarious. Kiruko is 18 or 20, the rape is not confirmed by her, and even if it was there are only few countries in the world that have capital punishment for rape. Nice places like Iran and UAE, not Japan.

Here in iran They don't execute rapists, they hire them in IR**GC and police force.
Jun 25, 2023 7:06 AM
Jan 2020
Man do I wish this is getting another season, there are so many things that didn't get resolved. I still want to learn all the mysteries of this world, the show has so many things left to explain.

Is the manga finished? Might cave in and give it a read if it is.
Jun 25, 2023 7:18 AM
Jan 2020
Mcfeeley said:
Those of you who didn’t notice the music that played for Shiro and Mimihime or the button… how do you not get what happened?

And those you who did notice the music… please join me to talk about our depression.
HOLY SHIT! Could it be that
Seriously thank you for making me realize this! Such great foreshadowing.
Jun 25, 2023 7:31 AM

Apr 2021
Arkaniet said:
That arc was absolute whiplash and that was for sure intended. The reader was supposed to be distraught just as the characters where. The reader was supposed to be confused, disgusted, horrified and so on because the characters where. The reader was denied catharsis through violent means (beating robin to death) or through the means of answers (to many to count) because the characters where. It's a great sequence where the emotions of the characters mirror the ones of the reader (to a degree)
Yes, this also my opinion on this arc.
What I find interesting is that it actually triggers a lot of intesresting discussions about rape and its responses. That makes it in my opinion a much more interesting scene than other such ones in other mangas.

I think the Jacket stays because some parts stay with you no matter how bad things've gotten. She will get rid of it eventually.
The thing is that even if this jacket was indeed given by Robin; it's also the one she wore since she has met Maru and as such is related to all memories with him. So I don't think it's so easy for her to give it away.
Jun 25, 2023 7:46 AM

Apr 2016
The scene of Mimihime looking at the sky for the first time and reaching for it was one of the most beautiful and meaningful scene in the manga.
In the anime, it was completely overshadowed by the rape incident.
Nobody talked about Mimihime, nobody even connected the dots while watching it, since the scene was mixed with the other thing...

This sums up the whole season. The timing of that rape incident ruined the show's momentum and will probably prevent Heavenly Delusion's popularity to blow up.
It distracted everybody from the whole beautiful story and mystery, which is a bad way to end a season.

I don't have a problem with depicting rape in a post-apocalyptic world, but the timing was weird and distasteful.
This is the kind of incident you put earlier in the season, right in the middle, so people can move on from this and focus on the story again, especially given the fact that the story only gets better after that in the manga. Episodes 12 and 13 are not bad and would have been excellent in mid season, but it was such a terrible idea to leave the audience with that rape trauma context.

They had room to make an impactful season ending in so many other ways with all the timelines, and decided to go full controversy.
Even the scene of Mimihime reaching the sky, outside of the outside, would have been a perfect season ending and would have cemented Heavenly Delusion's status as anime of the year.

I'm mad because:
1- It probably ruined the chances for a season 2
2- 90% of discussions are only about that rape incident. While this anime/manga offered so much more than that...

Still a 9/10 anime, because I know what happens next, but I wouldn't be mad if anime-only's rate it low or lost interest, because you don't do cliffhangers with rape trauma.
Radical_OrionJun 25, 2023 7:53 AM
Jun 25, 2023 7:48 AM

Nov 2007
rvdboom said:
Yes, this also my opinion on this arc.
What I find interesting is that it actually triggers a lot of intesresting discussions about rape and its responses. That makes it in my opinion a much more interesting scene than other such ones in other mangas.

Very well put yes. As uncomfortable as the journey was to reach the ideas that I've presented was it was a worthwhile one and I feel like I've gained a much wider understanding of the subject. Even realizing plenty of things about myself and what things trigger certain anxieties and such. I know this reads... a bit broad and grand. Hmmmm for example. I've looped back to always asking why she went for the kiss. And I wondered why my brain did that. It was irrational and I could rationally explain why it happened. But we're irrational creatures with layers of rationality to make the irrational seem rational. But sometimes things just easily bypass that and this thing apparently was such a thing for me. So yeah quite the eyeopening experience.

rvdboom said:
The thing is that even if this jacket was indeed given by Robin; it's also the one she wore since she has met Maru and as such is related to all memories with him. So I don't think it's so easy for her to give it away.

I see what you mean hmmm... I feel like she holds onto the jacked because she has to keep the bodyguard persona going until they reach their destination. Once that's done or she develops past that (which is what I hope) she can let go.
Jun 25, 2023 8:05 AM
Nov 2018
HowlerOne said:
FreezePeach said:
I think people ignore quite a few facts about Robin.

The first talk between Kiruko and Robin was exactly what one would expect it to be. In the beginning he says:
- Calm down. Let's take our time talking. We both have a lot of questions.
And it ends with:
- I still have questions!
- I know. It's been five years. Let's take our time.

Then there is a rape scene, about a minute of it, with Robin saying few rather bizarre things. In particular:
- Now, whose body am I touching? Tell me, Haruki.
Right after that there is a flashback of Kiruko crumpling the first copy of her registration form which says: "Haruki Takehaya, age 18". We already seen it before, Kiruko was thinking about which gender to mark. She didn't mark any, crumpled the form and filled another one. It says that her name is just "Kiruko", she is female.

This flashback was not added randomly, it is relevant to the current scene, sex between Robin and Kiruko. She intended to register as Haruki but changed her mind. She is neither Haruki, nor Kiriko, last 5 years she was living as Kiruko, a girl. And what a coincidence - this is exactly what Robin just asked her about.

Then there is another coincidence - she suddenly starts to remember things that she couldn't possibly remember, her sister's memory:
- She could still be alive somewhere in this body. Maybe my mind is syncing with her body and I'm slowly turning into my sister. That would be great. I'd love that.
It never happened before. Why now?

We have no idea how Kiriko died and what kind of surgery was performed on her. It was a brain transplant, there seems to be only one doctor in existence capable to perform it - and Robin knows him. He was investigating this doctor, there were rumors that the doctor researches monsters and experiments on people. So does Robin now, another coincidence. He may know about the surgery more than anyone else. Maybe his "little experiment" was actually a literal experiment.

Also, Robin was a doctor in Immortal Order, the one who was "not going to let anyone else die". Remember the guy from ep5 who wanted to find a doctor in Immortal Order who could put a part of monster into him to make him immortal? I think he was talking about Robin. Unfortunately doctor Usami decided to die rather than give this information to us and Robin himself decided to turn rogue and run away.

Kiruko spent with Robin almost two days. We have no idea what happened during this time. According to the bridge guard they had lot of sex, but they had plenty of time to talk. We seen them together for about a minute and at that time Kiruko didn't put much resistance, neither physical or verbal. There was coercion at the start, but that's all we know.

When Maru shows up she is not handcuffed. There is a rope which she immediately unties, then gets her jacket and stops Maru from killing Robin.

The interaction between her and Robin is never discussed. All she has to say about it is:
- Now I've met him and finished what I set out to do, I don't need this [photo].

She is upset though:
- Everything I believed in was all a lie. I don't even know who I really am anymore. If you took me apart and put me back together again, I'd probably disappear and turn into my sister instead.
WTF is that? This is not normal in any way. It doesn't sound like "Robin is such an asshole" to me. She is upset about something else, suspiciously close to her shifting identity.

Note that Kiruko gets over her depression almost instantly. And she keeps her "Robin" jacket which supposedly would constantly remind her about her terrible trauma. It's almost like there is no trauma and she doesn't actually hate Robin.

This might be red herrings, this might be bad writing, but it looks intentional to me. The author keeps things vague and leaves himself enough wiggle room for alternative explanations of the events. Most obvious explanation have to ignore some facts completely or explain them as bad writing.

And all the Robin killers in this thread are hilarious. Kiruko is 18 or 20, the rape is not confirmed by her, and even if it was there are only few countries in the world that have capital punishment for rape. Nice places like Iran and UAE, not Japan.

Here in iran They don't execute rapists, they hire them in IR**GC and police force.
I wouldn't pretend to know much about Iran, my point was death penalty for rape is rather unusual in the world, there are like 8 countries that have this option. Wikipedia says its a hadd crime and there is no guaranteed sentence. People here act as if honor murder is just common sense.
Jun 25, 2023 8:24 AM

Oct 2018
S2 not coming out anytime soon, how am I going to stop myself from reading the manga?
Jun 25, 2023 8:30 AM

Jul 2009
Aversa said:
gawed said:
a great anime and no season 2 immediate announcement :( I hate it when that happens. this one deserves several seasons indeed.

now my only gripe with this final series of events:  it's almost insulting to sexual abuse victims everywhere that something so dense and serious is treated here in a "oh well 10 mins after I'm ok and won't be depressed" kinda way. no trauma no PTSD, just "well, got raped such is life." makes it feel as if the entire event was just gratuitous sex violence and cheap shock with no real consecuence to the plot. maybe in season 2/next chapters it could turn out that he has PTSD or some sort of sequel but so far it seems like it will be treated like just  another quick obstacle in our journey.

but oh well, asides from that this was a great feast for the season.
Trauma affects everyone differently.
Some learn to live with it others show no sign of it at all but will have it affecting them in a later point in live while others have problems from the start and will never get over it.
Things like this have a really big impact on live and that applies for any major trauma, my guess it that even those that learn to live with it will probably carry some form of hatred towards the one that caused it.
My bigger problem with it is that media doesn't properly handle the revenge for rape. If not castrated at least he needed to be kicked in the balls enough times he wouldn't be able to walk or use it again. Don't just punch him in the face. TARGET THE BODY PART THAT DID THE RAPING!

I'm so mad. Robin didn't get punished nearly enough
Jun 25, 2023 8:57 AM
May 2023
Inugirlz said:
Aversa said:
Trauma affects everyone differently.
Some learn to live with it others show no sign of it at all but will have it affecting them in a later point in live while others have problems from the start and will never get over it.
Things like this have a really big impact on live and that applies for any major trauma, my guess it that even those that learn to live with it will probably carry some form of hatred towards the one that caused it.
My bigger problem with it is that media doesn't properly handle the revenge for rape. If not castrated at least he needed to be kicked in the balls enough times he wouldn't be able to walk or use it again. Don't just punch him in the face. TARGET THE BODY PART THAT DID THE RAPING!

I'm so mad. Robin didn't get punished nearly enough

He nearly got punched to death and Kiruko didn’t want to have Maru be responsible for a murder caused by rage. I don’t think Kiruko stopped Maru for Robin, she stopped Maru for Maru.

Would you want a friend of yours to kill someone who did something absolutely horrible to you?
Jun 25, 2023 9:39 AM

Apr 2021
Radical_Orion said:
I'm mad because:
2- 90% of discussions are only about that rape incident. While this anime/manga offered so much more than that...
I understand what you mean and it has merits. What you say about Mimimhime's scene being overshadowed is quite true.
I think it was probably difficult to handle this, they didn't have much choice in where this scene appears withing the story, it's dictated by the manga after all.
At least, it brings some closure for Kiruko and allows to move to the rest of the story in a second season.
I don't think it ruins a chance for season 2. Most of the comments are still pretty good for the overall season and I have found the discussions on the episode 12 to be more interesting than flame wars. The way they ended the show is a clear indication that they expect to do a second one.
For the second point, I'm optimistic. Let's give some time for this rape controversy to rest, people will start talking about the other great moments of the last episodes.
Jun 25, 2023 9:42 AM

Apr 2021
Arkaniet said:
I feel like she holds onto the jacked because she has to keep the bodyguard persona going until they reach their destination. Once that's done or she develops past that (which is what I hope) she can let go.
Mmm, I had not seen this topic through that angle. I think you're right, there certainly is this component too, like this is her bodyguard uniform and she will keep it as long as a personal pride is tied to this activity.
Jun 25, 2023 9:46 AM
May 2023
Joker0fLife said:
Mcfeeley said:
Those of you who didn’t notice the music that played for Shiro and Mimihime or the button… how do you not get what happened?

And those you who did notice the music… please join me to talk about our depression.
Probably because not everyone read the manga and had the pieces of the puzzle already slotted for them?

I didn’t read the manga. Pieces fell into place very quickly once I considered the two stories aren’t happening simultaneously.
Jun 25, 2023 10:36 AM

Nov 2007
Mcfeeley said:
I didn’t read the manga. Pieces fell into place very quickly once I considered the two stories aren’t happening simultaneously.

The Anime did a great job of shifting some sections around to make some aspects of the mistery less obtuse. It's fantastic on a rewatch/reread. There's sooo much foreshadowing! It's amazing!

Radical_Orion said:

Ishiguro-Sensei said to support Season 1 when we can so we may get a season two in the future. I agree that the rape is very dominant and it overshadows a lot of the discours but I stand by that being by design. I've written some comments about it a bit further up if anyone cares.

rvdboom said:
What you say about Mimimhime's scene being overshadowed is quite true.

These scenes happen after the robin arc is concluded in the manga but they wanted to have both stories end on a somewhat conclusive note or cliffhanger so they moved it into the robin arc. It is also fair to assume that they wanted to... break the robin arc up a little to give some room to breath. Reading it all in one go was a lot to stomach so that may have played a part there as well.
Jun 25, 2023 11:12 AM
Jan 2022
Relate episode 11 to 8 has me in tears, is so heartbreaking 💔
Has anyone else noticed?
Jun 25, 2023 11:14 AM
May 2023
Mells16 said:
Relate episode 11 to 8 has me in tears, is so heartbreaking 💔
Has anyone else noticed?

The rewatches are not safe for tear ducts.
Jun 25, 2023 11:15 AM

May 2015
I was hoping for a more definite ending, but it seems the continuation is in order. Some of the mystery got resolved and a nice new chapter for Maru and Kiruko opens, as well as for other kids (but we kind of know how they end up, if only a little). If we ever get season 2 I might adjust the score in perspective for the whole story, but so far it was good, really good. 8/10
Jun 25, 2023 11:19 AM
Dec 2020
Well, amazing passionate directing/storytelling wasted on this show with sh*t themes/story/dynamics with sh*t agenda
Usually I turn blind eye to sh*t in good show, but with sh*t themes/dynamics shaping the story+char developments, its hard to ignore and enjoy rest of it in peace

Ruined disappointing exp, themes turning my love for it at ep 1 to hate, dropping it few eps later. Came back to it then hoping it take some path or twist thematically that prove my hate wrong, sh*t maru-kiru dynamics with sh*t agenda especially last ep solidified my hate instead

Only ep 1 and 8 are good, maybe 10 too, rest are bad to meh. This was the worst ep with the worst themes/agenda and ep 3 to 6 as well
Jun 25, 2023 11:30 AM

Jul 2016
Yep. As expected, the whole rape/NTR stuff from last episode was purely for shock value given that Kiruko is now feeling fresh like a lettuce despite having being raped for one day and two nights. Oh, no biggie~ And onto the next adventure we go~ *happy ED song starts playing*

Incomplete finale. Didn't really like it since it left a lot of plot points unanswered and I'm not entirely sure if this adaptation will be popular enough to receive a sequel. Not gonna lie, it was indeed a really awkward place to end the season and makes you wonder why this adaptation wasn't planned as a split-cour project from the get go.

Anyways, solid series overall. Leaving author's notorious horniness aside, the mystery aspect was truly engaging to follow and direction was among the best ones I have seen in the year so far.

7/10 - Episode 13 and some people NOW realize Shiro and Mimihime were Dr. Usami and his mutilated patient smh. I just can't.
Jun 25, 2023 11:59 AM
Dec 2017
Episode 12 was the climax of this season
This last episode gives us more information but damn, I don't know what is the final goal of each characters.

So satisfying to see Maru kicks Robin's ass.
Damn, why Maru says again he falls in love to Kiruko.

One hypothesis : Does Maru the child of Tokio ? Or the both story sides is in the same timeline ?

Can't wait to see season 2, what happens when all orphanage team goes to the real life ?

8/10 with post-apocalypse environment, some creepy vibes and emotional moments
Jun 25, 2023 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
rvdboom said:
Radical_Orion said:
I'm mad because:
I understand what you mean and it has merits. What you say about Mimimhime's scene being overshadowed is quite true.
I think it was probably difficult to handle this, they didn't have much choice in where this scene appears withing the story, it's dictated by the manga after all.

I don't think Shiro and Mimihime's scene was overshadowed.
First because it wasn't that big a revelation, and second because of contrast.

Jun 25, 2023 12:21 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm not a bad ending but also nothing special

Although I'm a bit interested about what's gonna happen next, so if there is a new season I welcome it
Jun 25, 2023 12:40 PM

Jul 2014
While I thought this show started very strong and was very engaging at first, it kind of lost me in the last four episodes as the obvious became clear: that, in the grand scheme of things, we wouldn't get much closer to finding out the truth and even less close to Maru and Kiruko reaching Heaven.

As the show progressed, it became more and more obvious that the show was just stacking mysteries atop more mysteries and being intentionally obtuse with pretty much everything to make things even more confusing than they needed to be. All we really know is that the stuff in "Heaven" that we were shown took place in the past and that it's implied that the escaped children became the Hiruko plaguing the world, whereas it initially seemed as if they were taking place simultaneously and that Tokio was Maru's target. And that's... not a lot for thirteen episodes, and even less so as I expect there's little prospect of a season 2 anytime soon.

So, all in all, a lot of this show didn't really matter at all and was just being obtuse to pretend it's smarter than it is: the Juichi stuff was particularly pointless overall and I would have missed nothing of real significance if I skipped those episodes (and I'd also miss the bizarre misstep that was episode 10's random, bad change of artstyle). Then we have stuff like that one teenager trying to coerce Maru into sex and Robin's rape of Kiruko, both of which felt like they were only included for shock value rather than because they added anything to the story or character arcs.

The production values were impressive throughout and the worldbuilding was interesting if a little unfocused. There's clearly great potential here if a bit more focused and less obtuse, but it sorely needs a continuation to answer the many, many unresolved threads this season has left. I really hope that does happen, but my gut feeling is that this is going to be a one-off in anime form and us anime-onlies are just going to have to accept that we're never going to get to the bottom of everything.

7/10
Jun 25, 2023 1:36 PM

Jun 2019
My 232nd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jun 25, 2023 1:47 PM

Mar 2008

Yeah my bad. I think i accidentally quoted you quoting them then tried to edit you out but got the wrong person.
Jun 25, 2023 2:16 PM

May 2021
It irked me how they downplayed the rape. She was basically back to being normal (on the surface at least) within a day which is unheard of amongst actual rape victims
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2023 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
Radical_Orion said:
The scene of Mimihime looking at the sky for the first time and reaching for it was one of the most beautiful and meaningful scene in the manga.
In the anime, it was completely overshadowed by the rape incident.
Nobody talked about Mimihime, nobody even connected the dots while watching it, since the scene was mixed with the other thing...

This sums up the whole season. The timing of that rape incident ruined the show's momentum and will probably prevent Heavenly Delusion's popularity to blow up.
It distracted everybody from the whole beautiful story and mystery, which is a bad way to end a season.

I don't have a problem with depicting rape in a post-apocalyptic world, but the timing was weird and distasteful.
This is the kind of incident you put earlier in the season, right in the middle, so people can move on from this and focus on the story again, especially given the fact that the story only gets better after that in the manga. Episodes 12 and 13 are not bad and would have been excellent in mid season, but it was such a terrible idea to leave the audience with that rape trauma context.

They had room to make an impactful season ending in so many other ways with all the timelines, and decided to go full controversy.
Even the scene of Mimihime reaching the sky, outside of the outside, would have been a perfect season ending and would have cemented Heavenly Delusion's status as anime of the year.

I'm mad because:

Still a 9/10 anime, because I know what happens next, but I wouldn't be mad if anime-only's rate it low or lost interest, because you don't do cliffhangers with rape trauma.
It's not uncommon for major events, including negative ones, to be placed toward the tail end of a season or even in the season finale episode itself. 
Jun 25, 2023 2:24 PM

Apr 2021
Ne0th said:
It irked me how they downplayed the rape. She was basically back to being normal (on the surface at least) within a day which is unheard of amongst actual rape victims
They don't downplay the rape. The author just decided to have his character react using some of the responses described here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_trauma_syndrome
Meaning a mix of minimization and suppression responses in the Outward adjustment stage.
After a shock/disbelief response during the rape itself and until Maru arrives.
If you read the manga or when the second season will arrive, you'll be able to find many of the described responses in the above article as part of her behaviour.
Jun 25, 2023 2:30 PM
Aug 2019
Dommage de finir comme ça. Je reste toutefois fan de la série, je me lance désormais dans le manga.
Jun 25, 2023 2:34 PM

Mar 2008
Ne0th said:

Kuriko wasn't back to normal. There was clear expression of distress over self image and identity that was worsened by what took place.
Jun 25, 2023 2:39 PM

May 2018
still not sure what to think about these past 2 episodes. The humour was bad, but the journey was very fun.

6/10
Jun 25, 2023 3:03 PM
Dec 2019
rvdboom said:
Ne0th said:
They don't downplay the rape. The author just decided to have his character react using some of the responses described here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_trauma_syndrome
Meaning a mix of minimization and suppression responses in the Outward adjustment stage.
After a shock/disbelief response during the rape itself and until Maru arrives.
If you read the manga or when the second season will arrive, you'll be able to find many of the described responses in the above article as part of her behaviour.
I believe you, that Season 2 will deal with it more. But you have to see why this is a terrible way to end a season, right? This is not a manga, where the next chapter comes in a couple of weeks, this is an anime season where the next part might come (at best) in one or two years. So I'd say the fault is not on the author or source material but on the production team that made a messy ending.
Jun 25, 2023 3:11 PM
Jan 2017
I watched only this and oshi no ko this Season and both was deception..

So much question but zero answer... Animation is well done but story is blank. Épisode 6 was the Peak then nothing.

I really Hope this is not only about love story. Universe is too deep and cool to treat only about love..
Jun 25, 2023 6:13 PM
May 2021
Uhm okay....
That was really disappointing, lack-luster even.
Where was the resolution?
F it, I guess I'll read the manga to see if something got lost in the adaptation.
Jun 25, 2023 7:28 PM
Apr 2021
Ugh I hated how the rape was dealt with I needed Robin to be BEATEN TF OUT OF BEYOND RECOGNITION or CASTRATED🙄 and the end of this episode and how everything was wrapped up was sort of a bittersweet feeling bc of how they dealt with the rape imo

But anywho other than the rape part this show was fucking phenomenal the end scene with the kids on the speedboat was jaw dropping to me bc I’m curious as to how long ago and what time those kids were living in? Like what’s the exact year number they were living in yk😭

I cant WAIT for season 2 I plan on reading the manga after this🤩🤩🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🕺🏽 (but I’m gonna forget most of everything by the time season 2 gets released💀💀💀)
Jun 25, 2023 7:42 PM
Feb 2021
Going from this dude just raped her for two days to "well everything is fine now, the past is the past" *cue the happy music* was so jarring.

Why even touch a subject like rape if you are just gonna brush it over in 5 minutes.

I was loving the show before all of these stuff, but this subplot has soured me on the whole thing. Not sure I would watch a season 2.
Sparda1881Jun 25, 2023 9:56 PM
Jun 25, 2023 7:52 PM

May 2021
Average episode 5/10 and overall and run-of-the-mill wannnabe mysterious anime, nothing special, 5.5/10 for the show.
Jun 25, 2023 8:17 PM
Jul 2022
Worst anime of the year thanks to the rape, and the girl not letting the MC kill the abuser.
Jun 25, 2023 8:28 PM
Jul 2021
It rubs me in such a wrong way--the way the main duo handled Kiruko's assault by their childhood idol. It's simply brushed off as if it was just a fight between school boys and they are happily on the way again. That plus the fact that Maru just held back at kiruko's request not to kill the offender (which might be fine if not for how they quickly brushed it off) is controversial and rightfully so.

On the other hand, perhaps we could say the author/showrunners successfully gave us one of the most despicable characters ever on an anime. Sigh.
Jun 25, 2023 9:37 PM
Jan 2010
so, if I understand correctly, Hiruko had a something with Robin in the past, and he tried to kill her. Haruki remembering that scene from the past could be their mind trying to cope with their current situation. Anyway, the way they ask Haru to not kill Robin and how they "get well" way too quickly makes me feel bad. I understand some people would not show signs of trauma after events like that, but I do not like it. They should use trauma as it usually gets: PTSD. Fear of being touched, inability to talk to people, feeling like everyone around just want to abuse them. That's usually how people will be after being sexually abused. If they didn't want to do this, then they shouldn't have her being raped for 2 days straight.

Changing topics, it was as I was feeling, the school children scenes are from before the fall of society, while Haru and Hiruko's scenes are after that, kinda like they did in "The Witcher" series.
Maybe Haru is Tokio's son?
Jun 25, 2023 9:57 PM

Dec 2016
The whole season I was waiting for how Kiruko and Maru will meet those children in the facility but it looks like we need season 2 to see that. I hope we get an announcement for that soon.

Just like Kiruko I was really looking forward for her to meet Robin but didn't expect him to be such a trash. Those flashbacks that Kiruko saw, I'm guessing Robin used to do those shit to her even before that. Now that leaves the doctor who did the brain transplant. I wonder if he's alive.

What was that in that room? The girl looked similar to Kiruko when she had black hair. That could probably be the reason why Robin locked her up like that. But why was she connection to a man-eater?

It seems like all the other senseis in the facility are probably good people except for that old hag. I hope she dies.

I'm curious about that ending. Where and how did they find that boat? And they were arriving to what looked like an active city. We are left with lots of questions. I hope we get a sequel soon.

8/10
Jun 25, 2023 11:56 PM
Mar 2021
can somebody tell me why only one of the twins were to be returned to tokio ?
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

485 by HagePotPotato »»
Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2023

133 by Nia-same »»
Oct 2, 7:13 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

342 by Protokin »»
Oct 2, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2023

180 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Sep 28, 11:29 PM

Poll: » What would you do if your waifu told you she is like Kiruko? [SPOILER]

Zarutaku - Feb 11

26 by Zarutaku »»
Sep 22, 11:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.