Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2010 9:00 AM

Apr 2009
The K-ON style designs really don't fit, but it seems like it has promise. Backgrounds look spectacular, I like the music (ending theme is a bit too saccharine, but...), and the possibility for the plot to get really dark is very nice.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Jan 5, 2010 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
i just care about the OP..
as expected from kalafina..

Jan 5, 2010 9:19 AM

May 2009
I play Trumpet and that didn't sound like a D-flat! lol justt kidding. But overall its decent start I've been to Spain and it looks pretty much like it. However this whole "no plot" thing pisses me off, and it looks EXACTLY like K-on!
Jan 5, 2010 9:30 AM

Jul 2008

That's pretty much what I think of this.
Jan 5, 2010 9:44 AM
Mar 2009
Wow, what a surprise... I didnt like K-ON and I dont like the character designs much either, but this episode had awesome direction, and the moe elements dont really get in the way

No idea where this is going but definitely looking forward to it
Jan 5, 2010 9:44 AM

Jul 2008
It was an interesting episode,
Jan 5, 2010 9:54 AM

Jul 2009
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-.... Mugi, wut zee hell happened to your TAKUAN?!!! Shit, I don't even have the chance to eat those yet!!! *RAGE*

And Rio?!!! Mio? MIOOOOOOOOOOO!!! <333 Argh!!! I don't care the shit about the rest but since Mio...er, Rio is here, I gotta follow this shit through to the end...

ANd to that dumb brown haired moe gal, D is not FLAT, it's YOU who are flat!!!

Er..... Lesse, what else? Oh, nice song that I can actually get this time around and they just have to add teh fabulous Japanese in as well as some weird Japanese tradition in the 16th town in France. Bet Napoleon is rolling in his grave as I'm speaking now....>_______<

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 5, 2010 9:58 AM
Oct 2009
BitchMaster said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-.... Mugi, wut zee hell happened to your TAKUAN?!!! Shit, I don't even have the chance to eat those yet!!! *RAGE*

And Rio?!!! Mio? MIOOOOOOOOOOO!!! <333 Argh!!! I don't care the shit about the rest but since Mio...er, Rio is here, I gotta follow this shit through to the end...

Er..... Lesse, what else? Oh, nice song that I can actually get this time around and they just have to add teh fabulous Japanese in as well as some weird Japanese tradition in the 16th town in France. Bet Napoleon is rolling in his grave as I'm speaking now....>_______<
i have no idea what you just said
Jan 5, 2010 11:32 AM

Oct 2009
BitchMaster said:
Bet Napoleon is rolling in his grave as I'm speaking now....>_______<
Yeah he is, anime was never his strong point but he might like war types that are serious. Other than that nice comments friend. You style is like usual fantastique!

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 5, 2010 11:47 AM

Jun 2008
BitchMaster said:

I have not heard of a D-flat trumpet. D, yes, E-flat, yes. In fact I've played on Gs and B-flat and know people who have the others.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 5, 2010 11:50 AM

Sep 2008
It was almost alarming how quickly this reminded me of K-On.
Could almost see the main character being named Yui.

Two things I loved most about K-On, the lack of significant male characters and the lack of romance subplots. Both seem to be only exemplified in this anime.

Also, significantly less emphasis on making the instruments look like something available, lot more placed on the scenery.

Will definitely place this on the 'continual watch' list.

For some reason the skeleton shown made me think of the demon that died according to the legend.. unless the spider somehow had wings.
BastionJan 5, 2010 12:19 PM

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Jan 5, 2010 12:01 PM

Sep 2008
Would any of the french or someone else be able to identify that song in the middle of the show? i'm interested in it and the artist of it.
Jan 5, 2010 12:24 PM

Jul 2009
Lith said:
BitchMaster said:

i have no idea what you just said

Duh, of course you won't get it if you...

1) Don't speak french

2) Skip or doze off in your history class

3) Aren't aware of female's breast mensuration system

4) Ignore Mio-On

5) Are drinking strawberry milk

6) Do not have the honor to have takuan(s) as your eyebrow(s)

So~ what's your pick?

Jan 5, 2010 12:25 PM
Dec 2009
This actually seems to be more promising than some of the other animes this season and in the past,

The art is great, surprisingly the animators were able to capture what a spanish city/ fortress looks like. Even with the semi "moe" it still looks good.

The sound is amazing, coming from someone using bose headphones, the music choice for the piece in french was surprising but it fit really well with what they wanted to convey in that scene.
Jan 5, 2010 12:51 PM
Jan 5, 2010 1:00 PM

May 2009
dropped at 12 min... i mean this couldn't be anymore cliche that it is. just a waste of time imo
Jan 5, 2010 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I actually liked it a bit. I would like it more if the main character wasn't such a moeblob.
Jan 5, 2010 1:10 PM
Oct 2009
hirahira said:
it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I actually liked it a bit. I would like it more if the main character wasn't such a moeblob.
shes basically yui with a trumpet :3
Jan 5, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
Lith said:
hirahira said:
shes basically yui with a trumpet :3
Personally I am glad not to watch K-ON yet. For all this comparing to it I am out for having seen it. BTW Lith awesome Lambdadelta signature/avatar...I love it!

Jan 5, 2010 1:28 PM

Jul 2007
Hotstrawberry said:
This is nothing like K-ON.

The only similarities are character design style and music. On and yes, I suppose they are girls.

The two series have completely different feels to them and this should be regarded in it's own right.

Exceeded all my expectations.

I couldn't agree with this more. I loved the first episode and am really excited about this series!
Jan 5, 2010 1:29 PM
Oct 2009
Jan 5, 2010 1:32 PM

Dec 2008
First anime that I wish to drop on 1st episode. I give it a chance in 2nd episode. If it will be boring shit like this one... well +1 to dropped titles.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATA!! Omae wa mo shindeiru!
Jan 5, 2010 1:33 PM

Dec 2008
No... I drop this shit right now.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATA!! Omae wa mo shindeiru!
Jan 5, 2010 1:39 PM

Oct 2008
I just don't like it. This anime is just boring... but I will give him a chance...
Jan 5, 2010 1:58 PM
Dec 2007
K-ON's art and characters meet Laputa's legendary trumpet scene and atmosphere. Well, it's not a bad thing since the production values are extremely high with great backgrounds and fantastic animation (only fot he first ep maybe?), plus the series is nicely refreshing so I'm going to check out the next episodes for sure. Everything seems simple and clean, very atmospheric, yet with Mamoru Kanbe as a director, I don't really fear for the script either. Seems solid enough to me, the first good pick of the season.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 5, 2010 1:59 PM

Mar 2008
Really interesting. The town is really beautiful, and looks so real. The french insert song was simply perfect. I don't know who's the singer, but he has almost no accent.
Jan 5, 2010 2:01 PM

Aug 2008
Pretty much nothing in this series makes any sense but oh well, might be funny to watch anyway.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 5, 2010 2:07 PM
Dec 2007
cerberus20 said:
Would any of the french or someone else be able to identify that song in the middle of the show? i'm interested in it and the artist of it.

Surprisingly enough, the song not only is in French, but it's not in broken French and it's definitely sung by a native (although some French songs by Japanese artists may be cool, i.e the ending song "Tokyo et Paris" from Nodame Cantabile Paris-Hen). Appart from that, I believe the song was made for the anime, as I can't seem to remember having listened to any similar artist here.

On another note, Kanata's written assignment in the beginning WAS in broken French, I hardly understood what was written on it.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 5, 2010 2:13 PM

Jul 2009
firefistace01 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp9E5q6lsnk
lololol

Erm...What does that has to do besides my username was called at least 13 times in a row? 0.o

Jan 5, 2010 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
The Art work reminded me of K-ON :D
Jan 5, 2010 2:43 PM

Feb 2008
lol the french overtones might get annoying but oh well...they did well enough to establish that. not really sure how to feel about this one.
Jan 5, 2010 2:54 PM

Oct 2009
Jacut said:
cerberus20 said:

Surprisingly enough, the song not only is in French, but it's not in broken French and it's definitely sung by a native (although some French songs by Japanese artists may be cool, i.e the ending song "Tokyo et Paris" from Nodame Cantabile Paris-Hen). Appart from that, I believe the song was made for the anime, as I can't seem to remember having listened to any similar artist here.

On another note, Kanata's written assignment in the beginning WAS in broken French, I hardly understood what was written on it.

If you look earlier in the posts, I translated the French stuff BTW.

Jan 5, 2010 3:00 PM
Jul 2008
I was kinda impatient and ended up skipping parts (completely did not notice any french stuff) maybe I should rewatch ep1 XD. This anime does start off a bit slow but set down some background info so I wouldn't be surprised if they finally have some action only in the last few episodes or anything interesting probably will show up AFTER 4 episodes.

As for slowness, damn ARIA, it was so slow but I enjoyed it. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, slow (well what would you expect I guess) but it ended up good.

Don't compare this to K-on. It's like saying if I like music anime, then I'll like ALL music anime - which is not true. or If I dislike moe anime, then I'll hate all moe anime (eh, I have nothing to say if you absolutely cannot stand any anime-form of moe though).

This anime has lots of paths to choose, after ep1, the story hasn't started yet - she just got there. Not saying this is a promising show but it'll probably be worth the watch/drop decision at around ep 4.

Check out the review on the series page btw, it's hilarious.
Jan 5, 2010 3:02 PM
Apr 2008
Didn't give off the same feel as K-ON, that's for sure. Characters seem alright and somewhat interesting, although I have seen all of these archetypes before. The music is subtle and suitable for the feel of the series/episode and I will probably see it as the strongest part of the series further on. Still, its a too early to tell anything. Kanata gets on my nerves a little. Rio seems likable.
As for the episode itself, it was alright for a start although it is another one of those "pointless" shows with an extremely loose plot, not that I mind it. The OP fits well, however the ED was generic moe-crap. Slight step down from the overall feel, IMO.
Will be looking forward to the rest of the series and hopefully for some more developments.
Jan 5, 2010 3:03 PM

Nov 2008
For all the haters out there: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/01/05/sora-no-woto-total-k-onification/

But to be honest, I really wasn't that impressed by this episode. Of course expect for the background animations, which were pretty sweet and different.
Jan 5, 2010 3:08 PM

May 2009
Thought it was a great first episode with great, fluid animation and art, beautiful backgrounds and good character desgins ("buhuu, they look liek K-ON" - I don't really give a shit, looks good imo).
The music was also really good, and I particularly liked the song in the middle of the episode.

And Sorami Kanata is so moe~, you guys!
Jan 5, 2010 3:16 PM
Jun 2009
peroxid said:
dropped at 12 min... i mean this couldn't be anymore cliche that it is. just a waste of time imo

You could survive 12? I barely got past the 10 mark

Dropped dis shizzle
Jan 5, 2010 3:27 PM

Nov 2007
Maryberry said:
I just can't see how this makes "no sense". How?

lmao, to be honest, i can't either? it seems pretty clear at this point. main character's interested in learning music, her companions are to help her along the way, etc. i think it's almost as simple as k-on!, or maybe the plot for this may even have more meaning to it considering the fact that they're soldiers & they actually bothered explaining all the stuff about the ~maiden of flames~. i don't see how you guys can say "IT MAKES NO SENSE NERDRAGE?!?!11?!" when it's just the first episode. :x

anyways, i loved the music. :3c i still think that the character designs for k-on! are better though.
Jan 5, 2010 3:30 PM
Jun 2009
jog said:
Maryberry said:
I just can't see how this makes "no sense". How?

lmao, to be honest, i can't either? it seems pretty clear at this point. main character's interested in learning music, her companions are to help her along the way, etc. i think it's almost as simple as k-on!, or maybe the plot for this may even have more meaning to it considering the fact that they're soldiers & they actually bothered explaining all the stuff about the ~maiden of flames~. i don't see how you guys can say "IT MAKES NO SENSE NERDRAGE?!?!11?!" when it's just the first episode. :x

anyways, i loved the music. :3c i still think that the character designs for k-on! are better though.

From the looks of things, the plot is girls are in a brass band, raise morale for soldiers at one point near the end, all is well with some "moe" stuff thrown in.

"Maiden of flames" is just a refrence to the town, so not really relavent to the so called main plot of this.
Jan 5, 2010 3:30 PM

Jan 2008
liamoflegends said:
peroxid said:

You could survive 12? I barely got past the 10 mark

Dropped dis shizzle

What's the matter, too good for you?

This episode had everything, amazing background, nice and original setting, the discovery of an other country, traditions and customs, loveable characters (except that twin-tailed brat who seems annoying as hell), a lot of mysteries, intriguing characters, a very nice ending proving that the music isn't just an excuse but is part of the story itself.

This has nothing to do with K-ON.

This episiode had everything, enjoy your bad tastes bro.
Jan 5, 2010 3:41 PM

Aug 2009
falkenn said:

This episode had everything, amazing background, nice and original setting, the discovery of an other country, traditions and customs, loveable characters (except that twin-tailed brat who seems annoying as hell), a lot of mysteries, intriguing characters, a very nice ending proving that the music isn't just an excuse but is part of the story itself.

This has nothing to do with K-ON.

This episiode had everything, enjoy your bad tastes bro.

Original Setting? Well, it's just first episode, so I can't say anything. However, Music club in Military is still somehow similar to music club in school area. Loveable characters? I'm sure that there was no significant factors that made me love those characters yet. There are not much mysteries; so there is nothing to expect. Music was meh.

Accept the truth. Sora No Woto is 'very similar' to K-On, still. Even art style and appearance of the character looks similar. Plus, we've already had pentsu shot in this episode, which makes me worry.

This episode had nothing. What this episode showed, is just Characters, Setting and hint of moeblob. Well, it will be great if it turns out to be 'not moe oriented', but from what we've seen in this episode, it is more likely to be turned out like that.

I actually skipped the part over since I couldn't stand boredom. However, I will give it a shot until 4th episode, like I did with K-On. I really hope, it does not end up like it...
Jan 5, 2010 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
I look at this show and can't help but think that if it had the team from Aria or Gunslinger Girl behind it, we might have had something great.

As is, it looks to be reaching for a concept that it can't quite grasp thanks to the limitations afforded by the painfully obvious target audience.

I'll probably keep up if I have the time, but I can't say that I expect much of anything at all. If we're lucky, it might manage to loosen its shackles long enough to at least put forth some interesting juxtaposition.
世界は美しくなんかない。 そしてそれ故に、美しい
Jan 5, 2010 4:19 PM

Oct 2009
Goo4 said:
Plus, we've already had pentsu shot in this episode, which makes me worry.
You forgot the almost naked shot too. I put it up if you wondering in a earlier post.

Jan 5, 2010 4:26 PM

May 2009
francismeunier said:
Goo4 said:
You forgot the almost naked shot too. I put it up if you wondering in a earlier post.
If you ask me, that didn't even feel like fanservice at all. I didn't even think any of it. It's different from all the anime where there's random upskirts etc. It felt more casual, since she just took a bath. I don't feel like this anime will have any ecchi or a lot of fanservice.
Jan 5, 2010 4:36 PM

May 2008
Hope this anime will be good, looks ok from the first episode, but i totally didnt expect such an ED

Rio sounds like Ichinose Nagi from Nyan Koi

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 5, 2010 4:40 PM

Jul 2008
Couldn't stand barely 5 minutes of this quality produced piece of garbage. Nothing intresting at all, cept for the little cerimony, which was ruined with shots of an annoying as hell and mentally challenged main character.
Jan 5, 2010 4:47 PM

May 2009
greenmush said:
Rio sounds like Ichinose Nagi from Nyan Koi
It's the same seiyuu, Kobayashi Yuu. She's a good voice actress!
Jan 5, 2010 4:58 PM

Aug 2009
stAtic91 said:
francismeunier said:
Goo4 said:
If you ask me, that didn't even feel like fanservice at all. I didn't even think any of it. It's different from all the anime where there's random upskirts etc. It felt more casual, since she just took a bath. I don't feel like this anime will have any ecchi or a lot of fanservice.

We are not saying it is some extreme fanservice. It just makes us 'worry' about destiny of this anime.

Eechiness and moe is two different thing.
Jan 5, 2010 5:04 PM
Dec 2009
Everyone who rated this already sucks. If it was just a one episode OVA, then you can do that, but there are a whole bunch more episodes to come! How can you judge it so early? It's like getting up during the opening credits of a movie, and exclaiming your complaints to the audience.

Also, if you guys can't understand what's going in this, you need to try harder. Most good stories don't shovel the information into your head for you like One Piece does, but that's actually good.

Yuuichirou said:
First anime that I wish to drop on 1st episode. I give it a chance in 2nd episode. If it will be boring shit like this one... well +1 to dropped titles.

You sat through all of Kampfer, but you can't watch this? I don't even know what to say to that.

peroxid said:

Care to explain what's cliche about it, or what other anime is like this? You're not allowed to say K-ON, because just about everything except the drawing is different, especially the setting. It's fine if you don't like it, but if you're going to say stuff like that, you have to back it up.

Seriously guys, don't be so hasty with this. The only animes that are bad enough for you to be critical so quickly are Kampfer and Eiken...and feel free to extend that list.
Jan 5, 2010 5:12 PM

May 2009
Goo4 said:
We are not saying it is some extreme fanservice. It just makes us 'worry' about destiny of this anime.
I see, so that's what you meant. Well, I was kind of expecting it to be moe in the first place, so I'm not surprised. It'd be nice to get a decent plot too. This episode had a nice, mysterious side story with that legend and festival.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

265 by Miyu-Miyuri »»
Aug 27, 2:18 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kerlyenai - Feb 15, 2010

142 by James-LastOmnic »»
Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.