Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 26, 2023 10:41 AM
Jun 2021
This episode looked beautiful the fight choreography and animation was pleasing. The scale of the anime feels much bigger than just Knives and Vash, we got to see some new characters in the end and more for the future. The season 2 is already announced so that's good. I'll be seeing y'all next seaosn.
Mar 26, 2023 10:59 AM
Jan 2023
The O.G is my all time favorite anime but this surpasses the original for me haha!
For me this was just written better. Yashirow probably took this opportunity to fix the thinks he felt needed fixing from the previous iterations.

Now the only element from the O.G that feels superior for me is the H.T intro but even stampedes intro and outro music is spectacular.

Mar 26, 2023 11:00 AM
Aug 2017
LifeisTrulyFun said:
super disappointed tbh, its super rushed especially in the final few episodes and i had such high hopes for vash but he ended up feeling like a shallow character and a walking archetype of paficism with no other characteristics since those characteristics he had at the beginning disappeared. the rest of the characters are not that much better and the dynamics are boring and repetitive. it really sucks cause i had really high hopes from that awesome premiere but my enjoyment only soured more and what i thought was going to be potentially better than the og ended up being less enjoyable. shame

5/10

You do realise that this is just the prologue to what would eventually become season 1 of the OG right? Also saying vash is a walking pacifism archetype is like saying the OG vash is only a walking comedy relief after watching like half the episodes.
Mar 26, 2023 11:06 AM
May 2017
Great episode to close out Trigun Stampede. It had a wonky start with the first few episodes but from middle to end this anime has been pretty great.

Knives was a great antagonist in this reboot, I think I prefer this version than his og version from the anime. I sided with his ideology over Vash's, he was simply more compelling from start to finish. While Vash's explanations we're weak, lol "after 100 years that is the best you can come up with?" Knives said it best. Their conflict made this series for me.

8.2/10 imo, a very good watch. Can't wait for season 2
Mar 26, 2023 11:06 AM
Aug 2022
Dunno if i shoud read the manga or wait for season two.. is manga worth it?
Mar 26, 2023 11:36 AM
Mar 2019
Yoinky_Sploinky said:
Yes, it is worth it. Even the old 1998 TV anime is worth it.
Mar 26, 2023 12:01 PM
Feb 2023
Man, this episode is one of the better episodes of this season if not the best so far. Once again animation and visuals remain as stunning, but fight choreography and music during the fight between Vash and Knives was very magnificent and it looked like they saved the best for last. So kudos for Orange for doing that. The fight between Twins is certainly highlight of this show in comparison in 98's anime(although i loved their gun battle in that one) but this one was epic

Not sure how Knives would survive Vash's Angel Arm + being incinerated on planet's atmosphere when he is just burning skeleton. Unless they come up with something to bring him back, after all he is Plant. 

Teasing about Meryl's new accomplice Milly Thompson was a nice touch. Kinda wished we saw brief cameo on her, but we will likely get more of her in 2nd season. 

I have to say seeing Vash with spiky hair like in the original was cool to see, but i kinda wish they didn't do it the way they did it. It kinda reminds of that scene in shitty DmC Reboot(don't get me wrong, Trigun Stampede is nowhere near as bad as that game and its proven to be really good show) when they went "I know you hate that Dante has black hair, but we assure you his hair becomes white during his final battle with Vergil". Like...fuck off. Despite the flaws that 98's Trigun anime had, i preferred the way they did it in that show because there was story behind of Vash's spiky hair. Rem is the one that gave him that haircut and after losing her, Vash sports the spiky hair because he wants to honour Rem's dreams and wishes. His hair goes down when he has breakdown moment and becomes depressed after leveling another city. That being said the new haircut on Vash didn't really bother me that much as it did for others(although i prefer his spiky look overall). My overall issue with Vash's spiky hair in the new show is that there is no reason for him to keep that haircut again when it gets down.

Overall, i thought the show was really good with flaws and all. Then again, 98's anime version had plenty of those as well even if i still love the show

But bigger question is, is Trigun Stampede better than the 98's anime version? In my personal opinion, no. I know some of you may disagree with my take, but that's how i feel about it. The original Trigun from 90s still holds special place in my heart, but that doesn't mean Trigun Stampede is not worthy of being on par with the original show because it is and also story will still continue in the next season so my opinion might change eventually when i see it. I hope so at least, because the show while not perfect, i'd say its very good overall.

Mar 26, 2023 1:35 PM
Aug 2021
This ep was worth the entire serie. Amazing.
Mar 26, 2023 2:54 PM
Dec 2015
Absolutely loved it.
This adaptation was a really nice surprise, anyone knows which music plays when they're flying/fighting?

Where are Legato/Double Fang and the rest lol?

Would watch again, I liked this version better than the goofy/relaxed 90s version.
Mar 26, 2023 2:57 PM
Mar 2019
Evolzetjin said:
Absolutely loved it.
This adaptation was a really nice surprise, anyone knows which music plays when they're flying/fighting?

Would watch again, I liked this version better than the goofy/relaxed 90s version.
A second season was announced so they will likely show up again there
Mar 26, 2023 4:55 PM
Oct 2019
Wow that was an Insane Battle Choregraphy.

Love the story, I knew it from the start Orange is the BEST CGI STUDIO!!

I heard people complaining there is no Milly in this season like in the OG but there is the confirmation that she will appear in the Sequel, does that mean this is the prequel to the OG Trigun?

8/10
Mar 26, 2023 5:11 PM
May 2022
Isso é a coisa mais perfeita que eu já vi na minha vida, como um fã de Trigun, estou realmente muito feliz. 10 é muito pouco pra expressar tudo que eu senti assistindo
Mar 26, 2023 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
One word could be enough to describe this final: kino. It'd be elegant to elaborate, so let's go like this: episode 12 of Trigun Stampede was spectacular, full of emotions, with quality topping very high quality we could already see in the previous episodes.

Thank you Studio Orange for this marvelous show. It's great to see another Trigun anime project after all these years, and on top of that - TV anime representing truly movie quality in all of its episodes. Heck, a lot of movies look worse than Trigun Stampede and have worse direction or soundboards, haha.
Mar 26, 2023 10:34 PM
Jan 2023
With vash/eriks totally obliterating that left arm, we might finally see him don a phrostetic gunarm similar to the OG anime.
Mar 26, 2023 11:15 PM

Sep 2018
Amazing finale. Dont have to say much about it. Anyone here that watched it (it seems there are some that havent, and who are only here to hate?) will know why.
10/10 episode.

Surprised to see there's still a few gaslighting and claiming the CGI is bad.

ryzxgum said:
this season was just fine, nothing crazy. the animation was inconsistent, choppy at times but in closeups or slow-motion scenes it was quite fluid. 6/10 for me, expecting the next season to be better.

I'd check where you watched it tbh. I think some of the 'subs' had poor encoding. It wasnt choppy on my end. Then again you mention ''nothing crazy'' and ''just fine'' so I guess you probably just hate CGI if that is the best you have to say about this level of CGI awesomeness.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Mar 26, 2023 11:23 PM

Sep 2018
Evolzetjin said:
Absolutely loved it.

Edit, wrong track. Its this one: (Drain Arm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7XcshZy0Qc

ElinchayielApr 1, 2023 3:56 PM
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Mar 26, 2023 11:31 PM

Apr 2022
Elinchayiel said:
Amazing finale. Dont have to say much about it. Anyone here that watched it (it seems there are some that havent, and who are only here to hate?) will know why.
10/10 episode.

Surprised to see there's still a few gaslighting and claiming the CGI is bad.

ryzxgum said:
this season was just fine, nothing crazy. the animation was inconsistent, choppy at times but in closeups or slow-motion scenes it was quite fluid. 6/10 for me, expecting the next season to be better.

I'd check where you watched it tbh. I think some of the 'subs' had poor encoding. It wasnt choppy on my end. Then again you mention ''nothing crazy'' and ''just fine'' so I guess you probably just hate CGI if that is the best you have to say about this level of CGI awesomeness.
i don't hate CG, in fact, i've seen much better. 'lupin III: the first' completely blows this out of the water in terms of CGI. that's not to say trigun has bad CG but it's passable for a show. and when i said "nothing crazy" and "just fine", i was talking about the show as a whole, not specifically CG. i don't rate based completely off animation, that's why 1998 trigun is still better than this one.

and did you even read the part i also acknowledged it for being fluid?
Mar 27, 2023 1:19 AM

Nov 2007
What a final episode! whew....What an abolutely fantastic show in general.
The score on here is criminally low because og Trigun stans are annoying...and I AM an og Trigun stan but I have damn eyes.

omg Milly 
Mar 27, 2023 4:02 AM

Oct 2016
I never watched the original, I only saw some clips before and of course orginal Vash's design, but all the same I am hyped, LET'S GO! THE SPIKY HAIR! Modern design with the spiky hair fucking slaps hard. 

So this was like a reboot prequel of the original, I don't know man, but I loved it. Looks like Milly is finally coming, I've heard that she's a fan favorite, so I am looking forward to meeting her, it's pretty cool how Meryl was trying to practice saying newbie like Roberto. RIP Roberto. 

Damn, Vash got amnesia. I can't wait for the sequel, I hope the airing date gets revealed soon. Overall, this was a great introduction to the Trigun series, especially for newcomers like me. 8/10
Mar 27, 2023 5:26 AM
Apr 2021
Absolutely breathtaking I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw spiky haired Vash and the choreography with the fight between him and Nai was simply *chefs kiss*🤌🏽 10/10 episode🔥

Lowkey I respected how determined Nai was in order to let him his brother and his brethren all live as one in piece when he was grabbing the core and his skin started to peel off, like bro was letting up and I respect that🫡
Mar 27, 2023 6:23 AM
Jul 2019
Stampede is definitely worth watching for the action & overall animation, the visuals are consistently great. The action takes precedence here, though, as there isn’t enough time to properly characterize the cast & delve into their conflicting philosophies.
Mar 27, 2023 6:51 AM
Jan 2023
Is it just me or is the song being hummed by vash at the beginning of the episode to calm himself sounds like Rems song Sound life?
Mar 27, 2023 7:20 AM
Dec 2020
The fact that this show can have such long, uninterrupted shots looking as clean as they did in this episode is due entirely to the CGI. Looked amazing; if this is how they adapt a non-manga prequel, I can't wait to see how they adapt the manga in season 2!
Mar 27, 2023 7:47 AM
Jun 2010
Could be much better.
Mar 27, 2023 8:34 AM
May 2020
StateofOhayo said:
Ranniwaifuending said:
Finally this series emerged as one of my favorites of the season: I liked the good animated battle between brothers, Meryl character and the good building to the next season where will appear a known character for the old series fans. In comparison to the manga more faithful than the old series but it is a good reboot. Many times a reboot fail cause often disappoint the old fans (like the FF7 remake) but this isn’t the case. This time as an old series fan i enjoyed this new reboot series.
yeah the ff7 remake was a disaster, i don't care what anyone says. this season of anime has not been stellar, but even with the low expectations i had for this show, it was surprisingly good, albeit kind of rushed.

I guess most of the reason why it felt rushed, is how season 1 is limited only to tell some aspects of the story since it is a prologue, if it dives deeper more then scenes that happens later will be pulled out and happen earlier than it was supposed to.
I guess these is aspect is more apparent to manga readers at least
Mar 27, 2023 8:35 AM
Mar 2023
It was  mid the original is better.
Mar 27, 2023 8:45 AM

Sep 2018
Lopopol said:

People who actually read the original disagree with that pretty strongly.

Oh wait, you werent talking about the original but its first anime adaptation?
Sorry to break it to you, but that one was more different from the original then this show is. It also had about 60% filler content, whereas this show literally has none.

In some aspects like animation quality this show is unquestionable leagues above the OG show. Its just not even close, and I think anyone that isnt obsessed with the OG show will agree with that part atleast.
Mar 27, 2023 8:53 AM
Sep 2011
Honestly, the last episode kinda saved the show for me. 7.6/10 

The characterization of Meryl and Wolfwood is still terrible tho. Hope they'll fix them, ESPECIALLY WOLFWOOD.
Mar 27, 2023 8:55 AM
Jul 2020
amazing

ALSO MILLIE IS BACK HELL YEAH BOYS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Mar 27, 2023 8:57 AM
Mar 2023
Elinchayiel said:
Lopopol said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that one was more different from the original then this show is. It also had about 60% filler content, whereas this show literally has none.

In some aspects like animation quality this show is unquestionable leagues above the OG show. Its just not even close, and I think anyone that isnt obsessed with the OG show will agree with that part atleast.

Thanks for  taking the bait
Mar 27, 2023 9:20 AM
Mar 2019
Telesucks said:
Is it just me or is the song being hummed by vash at the beginning of the episode to calm himself sounds like Rems song Sound life?
I thought it was possibly Rem's song from the 1998 anime at first, but the melody is different. I think in Stampede, Vash sings Stampede's main theme (that OST track you always hear during epic moments).
Mar 27, 2023 11:04 AM
Jul 2021
Yoinky_Sploinky said:
This isn't a 1:1 adaptation of the manga, but it's closer in theme and events to the manga than the 98 anime is. If you sort of liked the direction this was going in, go for it. 
Mar 27, 2023 1:43 PM
Nov 2020
This episode is stunning. I was in awe from start to finish- Stampede impressed from the first episode and the technical aspects of the show/animation only got more refined as the show went on. We immediately watched the episode again and were doing shot breakdowns to try and figure out HOW Studio Orange accomplished what they did.

As someone who works in animation, and TV animation at that, watching Trigun Stampede each weekend was inspiring.

Watching the finale? A revelation. Likely the closest I will come to a religious experience, in animation.

Anyone who was immediately against this show because of the style needs to re-evaluate their lives, because WOW was this show gorgeous.

Could not have asked for a better finale. Stampede delivered quality and story.
Mar 27, 2023 5:52 PM

Aug 2019
Whoa, Vash's hair! Sixty billion! Insurance! A newbie! Things are getting a lot more familiar.
Mar 27, 2023 10:16 PM

Sep 2018
Lopopol said:
Elinchayiel said:

Thanks for  taking the bait
Hope you find happiness in your life dude.
Mar 28, 2023 1:59 AM

Oct 2012
Oh yea, it's all coming together!
Mar 28, 2023 5:53 AM
Mar 2023
i love how when vash was "awakened" again he had the hairstyle from the original trigun stampede
Mar 28, 2023 6:58 AM
Mar 2023
codeframe said:
the original trigun stampede

There is no such thing.
Mar 28, 2023 5:24 PM
Oct 2020
Really a great take with good CGI , Loved it!
Mar 28, 2023 6:07 PM

Aug 2012
I liked Vash's redesign and I fully expected Milly to return, but I still got overly giddy when Vash returned with his spiky hair or the explicit confirmation of Milly's return. In a sense, it's a bit cheap. Take away iconic staples of the series just so you can bring them back to fanfare. It's effective certainly, but I'm not sure how much praise I'm willing to lend to these. It will ultimately depend on what follows, my biggest hope is Season 2 will feature Vash's more over the top personality, once he gets over the Eriks phase anyway. The very first episode had Vash maniacally laughing while discovered hanging upside down, but after that his buffoonery was never really touched on again, instead he just became a pretty passive/shy character. I'm hoping the return of his hair also signals the return of that side of him, because it's an important part of his appeal. And it seems there might be payoff with the whole Roberto arc before Milly, with her practicing the whole newbie thing but we'll see if it matters much come season two.

Outside of those moments of fanwank, I think the rest was also pretty fantastic. For most of the season my internal ranking for the show has been 7, sometimes wavering down to a 6 but to quote Arkada, "the ending is paramount", and now for maybe the first time I'm considering an 8/10. The outright spectacle of this episode is staggering. The CGI hasn't been perfect all the time, I feel like there were some choppy moments throughout the series (often not for action spots, to be fair), but this was pure greatness, top tier movie quality CGI animation from start to finish. There was some great shot composition too, I love the layout of a flying Knives backdropped again the moon as seen in the reflection of the blood he just spilled. Nightow's always been able to capture strong 90's edge grit aesthetics really well, and I feel like that shot is one of Stampede's strongest representation of that sensibility. I still consider Land of the Lustrous/Houseki no Kuni (also done by Orange) to be the best looking CGI anime out there, but this might be the best looking episode for any CGI show. I will have to re-watch Houseki before I can firmly state that, but it's definitely top contender. I still prefer traditional animation but complaining about the CGI direction after episodes like that is baffling to me.

While there wasn't strictly a whole lot to this episode outside of the action, what little we did get was excellent. The discussion Vash had with Knives in space was legitimately a series highlight for me, and I feel like it's the best representation of Vash as a character in the series yet. Him crying over the war between brothers, but being able to smile at the end as he talks about running away until he's able to settle by humans side again, perfectly capped off with Knives deriding the answer "After more than a century, that's the best you came up with". Of course, it's not just blind idealism, Vash has reason to believe in humans (largely Rem, and Meryl, Brad, Luida, etc.), but that wasn't super necessary for him to bring up there. Instead that scene serves as a perfect distillation of the conflict between them and their ideology, from Knives anger and shouting to Vash's more solemn contemplations. 

I do think that perhaps the action here veered too over the top, with Knives burning up as much as he did. Really seemed like his death but he can't really be dead, can he? I'm assuming he was still the final big bad in the manga, not that I've read it yet, and I can't imagine the series will change things up that significantly but with the amount of damage we saw done him returning does feel a little harder to justify. But I suppose considering how weird the series gotten with what plants are previously, it's not that much of a stretch.

Also, the series continues it's great detail of dropping the episode's title card at relevant points in the series but this finale gets bonus points for altering the number to not say #12, but to instead said #0, effectively communicating this as the prologue to the proper story starting next season. Which as another side note, I think this season did a great job of concluding the season in a way that totally felt resolved but still left open so much room for the future. There was a fear that it'd wind up feeling too much like set-up for season two and not enough like it's own story arc, but they definitely struck the perfect balance. I'm left satisfied with story told here, while eagerly anticipating the return.

But as for the show as a whole, the question is ultimately how much do I let the show's fantastic finale dictate the overall score. And while the 8 is tempting coming off the high of a near perfect finale, I think I'm sticking with my 7 for now. Maybe once I re-watch it dubbed my mind will change, but I still think the show had some earlier problems in the series. The pace was too fast in places. I don't think the characterization is all that good tbh. It's not bad, as the main cast is all likable, but really outside of Wolfwood and gratefully Knives, none of them really get any exploration. Knives is undisputedly a better character here than he every was in the original anime, and Wolfwood is the best boy like always. Vash does get a lot of exploration into his past but I guess I loop back to my note of Vash's personality being really subdued here. His speech to Knives in this episode is one of the few strong showcases of his character I feel. And of course, Roberto and Meryl don't get much in the way of anything until the very end, and Roberto's thing was dying lol.

Overall, a 7/10 that occasionally dipped lower but more importantly flew higher when it mattered most. The most important thing is that whenever Trigun returns to us, I'm certain season 2 will managed to make those high the norm. While I don't suspect it'll replace the original anime in my mind, I'm super glad that we've now got two great different versions of Trigun floating around us.  
TerrestriousMar 26, 2:34 AM
Mar 29, 2023 9:49 AM

Feb 2012
Masterpiece. Nuff said.
Mar 30, 2023 12:22 AM
Oct 2019
thought the fight scene was a bit over the top. would've preferred it to be a little less "crazy" i guess. also, vash didn't seem to have very good aim against knives

vash memory returns despite having it completely wiped/adjusted and being 100% connected to the computer system. don't ask me, i don't think it makes any sense. july gets blowed up after the vash/knives fight lengthy fight scene (flying around july, flying into outer space, knives being burned to a crisp like terminator, etc). humans are coming in response to that massive energy signature (i have no clue how the worms know this). vash has disappeared but his record $$60 billion bounty makes its debut. milly's name gets introduced, as does the insurance department's existence. knives appears to have healed but may have amnesia (he's poking at piano keys, but hardly playing how he used to). vash says even if humans don't accept him and hunt him down, he'll keep running; he'll be vash the stampede he says with a chuckle (a bit of a contrast compared to jeneora rock when afterwards he said "i don't deserve to cry" in a super depressed voice)

gives me hope that maybe he'll be more cheery in season 2 instead of the mostly melancholy person he was in season 1. also think people who mentioned the bounty being wrong or "no milly" might finally chill

what was that light moving away from july as the explosion occurred?

anyways, i loved episodes 3-10 (thought the series was trending towards an 8/10). i thought 1-2 were ok (but the major differences between the original and this new version were a lot to take in and i think affected how much i liked the first 2 eps). but i was disappointed in the final 2 episodes (plot was ok but the dramatic flashbacks and excessive action was meh)

7/10 for the season. will watch season 2
Mar 30, 2023 2:57 AM
Oct 2017

MemeConsumer said:
LifeisTrulyFun said:
super disappointed tbh, its super rushed especially in the final few episodes and i had such high hopes for vash but he ended up feeling like a shallow character and a walking archetype of paficism with no other characteristics since those characteristics he had at the beginning disappeared. the rest of the characters are not that much better and the dynamics are boring and repetitive. it really sucks cause i had really high hopes from that awesome premiere but my enjoyment only soured more and what i thought was going to be potentially better than the og ended up being less enjoyable. shame

5/10

You do realise that this is just the prologue to what would eventually become season 1 of the OG right? Also saying vash is a walking pacifism archetype is like saying the OG vash is only a walking comedy relief after watching like half the episodes.
No, it's really not. They've changed far too much about the characters and the setting, it's wholly unrelated to the 98 version now. Also yeah, they made Vash the walking 'bad' type of pacifism because not only is he a pacifist, he's also a really passive character who would rather whinge about people killing than actually do anything about it. Point is the original Vash had depth, this one doesn't. He starts and ends Stampede more or less where he began, he just actually drew his gun to stop someone for once.

Sonson7 said:
StateofOhayo said:
yeah the ff7 remake was a disaster, i don't care what anyone says. this season of anime has not been stellar, but even with the low expectations i had for this show, it was surprisingly good, albeit kind of rushed.

I guess most of the reason why it felt rushed, is how season 1 is limited only to tell some aspects of the story since it is a prologue, if it dives deeper more then scenes that happens later will be pulled out and happen earlier than it was supposed to.
This is a bad excuse. It seems their second season is more or less guaranteed, so rushing through a first season to put pieces in place just means they don't consider this to be the worthwhile bit. Especially considering they weakened the impact of scenes they borrowed from the original anime such as the Sandsteamer or the town that tries to capture Vash.
davidyodo24 said:

I heard people complaining there is no Milly in this season like in the OG but there is the confirmation that she will appear in the Sequel, does that mean this is the prequel to the OG Trigun?

8/10
I'm seeing a lot of this going around with the prologue thing and it's pretty funny how well it's working with some who watched the show. It has to promise Milly in the second season because the first season was so shallow and poor. Much like how it had to reveal Knives early and reveal Wolfwood's motivation and Vash's powers, it comes across like the writers don't trust their audience to want to come back for more unless there are promises it will pay off the things that people actually wanted to see. They skip through content quickly and let nothing sit and build atmosphere because there doesn't seem to be a belief that anyone would watch for that. Much like the spiky hair bit, it's just a shallow 'look look, he has it now, see?' When there's every chance it could just revert back to their superficial original design for this series. The original anime didn't have to rely on a prologue, it was confident in how it revealed past information to the viewer without needing to spend 12 episodes weakly setting things up.

Part of me can't help but think some people just don't understand why the original was even that good, good enough to receive a remake more than 20 years after the fact anyway.
Mar 30, 2023 4:16 AM

Sep 2018
CrumbleGarden said:
This is a bad excuse. It seems their second season is more or less guaranteed, so rushing through a first season to put pieces in place just means they don't consider this to be the worthwhile bit.

Most of the stuff this season showed was actually new, as in prequel material. With that knowledge in mind its hard to call a fantastic experience like this ''rushed'', so most of the story hasnt even begun to be told.

CrumbleGarden said:
Especially considering they weakened the impact of scenes they borrowed from the original anime such as the Sandsteamer or the town that tries to capture Vash.

The show is inspired and based on the manga source material. Which is the original source, not the OG anime show. So naturally, it will be a lot different from the anime adaptation which in itself was also different from the manga.

CrumbleGarden said:
No, it's really not. They've changed far too much about the characters and the setting, it's wholly unrelated to the 98 version now.

Again, this is based on the original source material, the manga. And again, the 98 version was already quite different from the source material.

CrumbleGarden said:
He starts and ends Stampede more or less where he began

Yeah with no memory, having added the guilt of killing his brother and wiping out an entire town. Wait, what? Saying he's going to continue being the same is too ignorant.

CrumbleGarden said:
Point is the original Vash had depth, this one doesn't.

This is a prequel to where Vash started out. This is part of his depth. In fact if they continue the show (which they will) then this version of Vash (the show and the person) will easily have way more depth then the 98 anime ever did. In fact in some cases like with Knives, it already does.

CrumbleGarden said:
I'm seeing a lot of this going around with the prologue thing and it's pretty funny how well it's working with some who watched the show.

Well duh. Its the truth after all. ''some''? I would argue anyone that isnt been dense would agree its a prologue story of a kind. The end of the show leaves little doubt to that being the case.
Might as well argue water is dry or the desert is wet.

CrumbleGarden said:
the first season was so shallow and poor.

First season introduced a whole lot of villains and makes people sympathise with them. Like Vash himself would, and does. If that is not depth and also incredibly true to Trigun's spirit, I dont know what is.

CrumbleGarden said:
Much like how it had to reveal Knives early

98 anime Knives was a shallow character compared to the source material, or this show's version.

CrumbleGarden said:
it comes across like the writers don't trust their audience

They seem to trust it a great deal if they went through this level of effort in the show's production, despite some very controversial outlash from ''fans'' prior to release.
They also seem to have a great trust for the audience to be moved by the experience and be able to grasp the subtles in play in their style of ''show, dont tell''.
In this show you can tell what a character is thinking by the way they respond with their models and visual cues ranging from overblown to very minute.
That requires trusting the audience to be able to spot those cues. Most anime will instead just flat out say everything, since its fools proof.

CrumbleGarden said:
their audience to want to come back for more unless there are promises it will pay off the things that people actually wanted to see.

Smells like bs, to me. From what ive seen many reactions to the show were ''it keeps me excited every week, waiting to see what comes next''.
It makes sense they give more hooks in this final episode. Its the final episode of a season after all. Having ''sequal bait'' is merely the smart thing to do.
People don't have to stay expected for just another week, after all. Who knows when the next season will actually release? So giving promises of what is to come when it does release, is a great idea.
CrumbleGarden said:
They skip through content quickly and let nothing sit and build atmosphere because there doesn't seem to be a belief that anyone would watch for that.

The 98 anime was filled with filler episodes, so ofcourse this show will feel ''rushed'' when all the fat is trimmed down. As someone that has read a 180,000+ pages novel series I will still tell you that stories are better without filler. Why? Because the quality will be higher. If a show needs room to breath, then it should be given. But not every type of story needs those extra episodes all the time.
Yes, the show was very high paced. But was anything missed that should have been there? Well given that this is still prelude material, thats hard to say at this point. The story in itself was well told. Many things werent elaborated on. On the other hand it also explained things the ''OG'' anime, never did. A show doesnt have to explain everything, and in this case there is much that is still left to be explored in future seasons, atleast one of which we have confirmation is coming.

CrumbleGarden said:
Much like the spiky hair bit, it's just a shallow 'look look, he has it now, see?' When there's every chance it could just revert back to their superficial original design for this series.

It's just a hairstyle in the end. If you really think THAT is the most important aspect of Trigun, I kind of question how much of a fan you even are. Well, aside from already questioning it seeing how you seem to believe the 98 anime is the ''original source'', and believe this is based on it, rather then on the actual original, aka the manga.

CrumbleGarden said:
The original anime didn't have to rely on a prologue, it was confident in how it revealed past information to the viewer without needing to spend 12 episodes weakly setting things up.

The 98 anime had mostly filler content and lacked a lot of the background and characterization Trigun Stampede (and the source manga) offered.
At this point all yourself and other 98' diehard fans are doing is forcing people to realise how much better this show is then the 98 anime..
Whereas if you were more forthcoming and accepting of this show, I think people would also recommend watching that one. Instead of coming to the conclusion that ''oh wait, this show is actually way better..''

When you turn it into a war between two shows, people are going to compare them, and sorry to say to you but the 98 show (which is now 25 years old) is at a huge disadvantage here. It lacks the incredible visuals or OST of this show. And it had too much filler, where this show has none.

You guys shot yourselves in the foot by hating this show..
Mar 30, 2023 7:54 AM
Jul 2019
Reminder that Trigun’s creator thinks both anime adaptations are amazing & stand on their own.
Mar 30, 2023 10:28 AM
Jul 2021
Jackalinthebox said:
Reminder that Trigun’s creator thinks both anime adaptations are amazing & stand on their own.
The original creator is actually *more* involved with Stampede than he was with the 98 anime, which makes the whole "this show doesn't understand [my understanding of] vash [exclusively from the 98 anime] " kind of quaint. 
Mar 30, 2023 12:31 PM
Jul 2019
PraxisCat said:
Jackalinthebox said:
The original creator is actually *more* involved with Stampede than he was with the 98 anime, which makes the whole "this show doesn't understand [my understanding of] vash [exclusively from the 98 anime] " kind of quaint. 

Nightow has explicitly stated this is a new side of Vash. The only animated adaptation where he’s a credited writer is the Badlands Rumble movie which is apart of the 98 canon. If you want the creator’s vision of Vash, you would need to read the manga.
Mar 30, 2023 12:35 PM
Jul 2021
Jackalinthebox said:
PraxisCat said:

Nightow has explicitly stated this is a new side of Vash. The only animated adaptation where he’s a credited writer is the Badlands Rumble movie which is apart of the 98 canon. If you want the creator’s vision of Vash, you would need to read the manga.
It's definitely a new side of Vash, but it's closer to mid / end manga Vash than the Vash in the 98 anime ever was. It's hard to look at the very ripped, pensive Vash after he lost his arm in the manga and see the 98 character in them. This is sort of a juvenile Vash, in my read. A much more cowardly one, which I think Stampede has been doing its best to highlight.

Also AFAIK, I'm pretty sure I read an interview that stated that Nightow was consulted on this and played a hand in helping set the direction when this got pitched and picked up. Getting rid of the GHGs for instance was probably something he suggested, since they ended up being sort of a proto-Eye of Michael by the end anyway. Might be wrong, though.
Mar 30, 2023 12:58 PM
Jul 2019
PraxisCat said:
Jackalinthebox said:

It's definitely a new side of Vash, but it's closer to mid / end manga Vash than the Vash in the 98 anime ever was. It's hard to look at the very ripped, pensive Vash after he lost his arm in the manga and see the 98 character in them. This is sort of a juvenile Vash, in my read. A much more cowardly one, which I think Stampede has been doing its best to highlight.

Also AFAIK, I'm pretty sure I read an interview that stated that Nightow was consulted on this and played a hand in helping set the direction when this got pitched and picked up. Getting rid of the GHGs for instance was probably something he suggested, since they ended up being sort of a proto-Eye of Michael by the end anyway. Might be wrong, though.

I think the 98 anime Vash is more similar to his manga incarnation than Stampede’s is. Stampede Vash is more melancholic & reserved. They completely did away with the intimidating rage fueled side that reared it’s head from time to time. His love & peace shtick as well as the donut quirk were removed too. Think 98 largely tried to faithfully adapt Vash’s characterization while Stampede is trying to make their own version of Vash that still retains the same core.

He helped guide them, but he didn’t actually create anything himself. Do know that he came up with his own designs, but they decided to go with Kouji Tajima’s character designs & world design instead.
Mar 30, 2023 3:19 PM
May 2020
CrumbleGarden said:

MemeConsumer said:

No, it's really not. They've changed far too much about the characters and the setting, it's wholly unrelated to the 98 version now. Also yeah, they made Vash the walking 'bad' type of pacifism because not only is he a pacifist, he's also a really passive character who would rather whinge about people killing than actually do anything about it. Point is the original Vash had depth, this one doesn't. He starts and ends Stampede more or less where he began, he just actually drew his gun to stop someone for once.

Sonson7 said:

This is a bad excuse. It seems their second season is more or less guaranteed, so rushing through a first season to put pieces in place just means they don't consider this to be the worthwhile bit. Especially considering they weakened the impact of scenes they borrowed from the original anime such as the Sandsteamer or the town that tries to capture Vash.
davidyodo24 said:

8/10
I'm seeing a lot of this going around with the prologue thing and it's pretty funny how well it's working with some who watched the show. It has to promise Milly in the second season because the first season was so shallow and poor. Much like how it had to reveal Knives early and reveal Wolfwood's motivation and Vash's powers, it comes across like the writers don't trust their audience to want to come back for more unless there are promises it will pay off the things that people actually wanted to see. They skip through content quickly and let nothing sit and build atmosphere because there doesn't seem to be a belief that anyone would watch for that. Much like the spiky hair bit, it's just a shallow 'look look, he has it now, see?' When there's every chance it could just revert back to their superficial original design for this series. The original anime didn't have to rely on a prologue, it was confident in how it revealed past information to the viewer without needing to spend 12 episodes weakly setting things up.

Part of me can't help but think some people just don't understand why the original was even that good, good enough to receive a remake more than 20 years after the fact anyway.

We are not saying it's perfect heck even the OG is not, but obviously there are people who prefer what went down with the manga and still are open and like what they did with the OG anime.
Of course to those who read the manga OG Trigun anime did a lot of things that divert from the manga and for them Trigun does better in that aspect than the OG was.
You are quick to dismiss thing they say that is good about Stampede but at least I am looking at it from the perspective of the "adaptations", depicting what is within the manga source.
I am quoting you "confident with how it reveals past information", bro the OG Trigun has very little to work with from the manga at that time, it gotta run only on the concepts it can take at that time so it does a lot of original stuff to fill in the gaps (which is the main reason it diverted a lot from the manga).
Also it has the chapter to tell Knives "perspective of the why he crash the Seeds" but OG for some reason ommited that, butchering Knives and make him less of a villain than "Legato". But even I am not that up and arms about that and would rather see the merits of the OG Trigun anime.
The OG Trigun also having just a few chapters in hands made one gag panel of Vash making some "womanizer gag", a permanent characteristic of Vash and amplified it a multiple notches.
Even the jokingly funny facade Vash always do to hide his depressing side is a result of the OG anime being stuck at the chapters where Vash is like that. Though thank God it did the OG anime good, how the hell would it be a "downside", if a newer adaptation take more from the "manga chapters never adapted" yet and show more of the other side of Vash the OG sadly haven't shown yet.
Like look the OG anime is not the only thing Stampede has to "take notes from", he also have the manga that has been left ignored for a long time and since the anime did involve Nightow in some ways. I can't blame Stampede for leaning towards how the manga went down.

Sonson7Mar 30, 2023 3:34 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is anyone else extremely bothered by the art and animation? ( 1 2 )

NB_Tenchy - Jan 9, 2023

76 by AkaiSanji »»
Oct 13, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2023

79 by arminsluvr1 »»
Oct 12, 8:35 AM

» Which Trigun should I watch?

Dhrunto - Jul 30

30 by JoeChip »»
Oct 3, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2023

71 by ANIk_003 »»
Aug 25, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2023

89 by Gloominscammer »»
Jun 9, 7:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.