Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 9, 2023 3:14 PM
Jun 2014
I've seen the complaints about Vash' redesign. Yeah it looks terrible. I've seen the complaints about Milly missing, it's ep 1 and she may show up later on. But the whole art and animation design is what really disappoints me. From a art design standpoint, I can see where studio Orange tried to take it with their work on Godzilla S.P. but to my eyes it comes off looking about as well designed as RWBY. I've never liked RWBY and the cell shaded look is very specific in which styles it actually works well. Trigun is suppose to feel like something between a space opera and spaghetti western and the highly cartoony cell shaded presentation does wonders for the vibrancy of the world, which takes away from the over all feel of the world building. It's not supposed to be colorful.

But what really irks me is the animation. Studio Orange tried really hard to get the hyper exaggerated anime feel with some of the character movements but when it comes to facial expressions it all looks "modern Disney Pixar from a new hire". The cartoony hyper expression does not work with cell shading when it barely works with 3d modeling to begin with. Maybe the animators just picked the wrong expressions for the scenes so far but I haven't seen anything I've liked.

I'm still willing to give this a chance to impress me, but it's not starting out strong at all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 9, 2023 3:24 PM
Nov 2021
the animation is pathetic! dropping this show!!
Jan 9, 2023 3:25 PM
Jul 2015
I have not read manga, or seen it before (yeah I know) But I’m digging the art style and “everything” - I enjoy a whole spectrum of styles, and I think this is not one of the bades one. It’s good. I really like the first episode 👍
Jan 9, 2023 3:29 PM

Jul 2022
I'm definitely bothered by the art to some extent. The art style is what I'm concerned about. It doesn't fit the original anime. On the other hand, the studio is Orange so I expected good CGI, but it still exceeded my expectations.

It is just episode 1 so we'll see how this age. And as for Milly, hopefully she's going to show up and not just be replaced by Robert De Niro.
yulee1Jan 9, 2023 3:33 PM
Kek

Jan 9, 2023 3:37 PM
Feb 2021
You know you aren’t the only one so stop bullshitting with your thread title
Jan 9, 2023 3:56 PM

Apr 2022
not a fan of the art, indeed it looked very disney but i liked how fluid the CG movement was.
Jan 9, 2023 4:07 PM
Jan 2023
It’s fine
People complain too much if the cgi isn’t fate quality or something
Some people just need to learn that not every studio is as good as ufotable with cgi
Jan 9, 2023 4:20 PM

May 2020
I dislike the character designs a lot. Vash is serviceable but Meryl isn't even half as cute as she was in the original. The animation looks terrible too. It's incredibly choppy. Why is 3d cg anime always so choppy looking? Is there something about 3d that makes 30 fps look bad or is Japan just full of crappy 3d animators? Pixar movies don't look choppy like this.
Jan 9, 2023 4:31 PM
Jul 2022
It doesn't bother me too much, I just don't think it looks like Trigun at all and I have no idea why they decided to change a beloved classic this much.
Jan 9, 2023 4:36 PM
Apr 2022
No your just blind. Take on of these
Jan 9, 2023 4:45 PM

Oct 2012
The lighting from the CGI turned Vash's cape from the deep red that it's supposed to be into a light red or magenta color, and that Vash's blonde haircolor looks like it's actually brown from the taper cut on the back. Those are the only things that bothered me as far as the art goes.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 9, 2023 5:11 PM

Oct 2014
I really don't see how people can complain about the animation. This is probably The best 3D animated CGI anime as of now, but people already have a bias towards CGI anime so that will never change. I know CGI anime can be crap but studio orange and sanzigen have delivered very good shows and they seem to improve for every show that they do. Just my two cents.
It's Morbin' Time!
Jan 9, 2023 5:20 PM
Aug 2022
Honestly imo I think studio orange is the only anime studio to actually do good cgi and make 3d anime right. There are more worst 3d animes out there and this is probably the best we’ll get.
Jan 9, 2023 5:20 PM
Aug 2022
Honestly imo I think studio orange is the only anime studio to actually do good cgi and make 3d anime right. There are more worst 3d animes out there and this is probably the best we’ll get.
Jan 9, 2023 5:57 PM
Apr 2019
Kalanjay321 said:

if you genuinely think this you are actually clueless💀

no full cgi anime has achieved this fluidity. You may complain about not liking cgi or the art style, but 'pathetic' just shows your complete naivety to the current state of the industry. this is absolutely above what is standard for tv anime.
Jan 9, 2023 6:13 PM

Feb 2021
Yes it definitely bothered me. Yes RWBY came to mind.

The animation is great for everything that isn’t human. The various inanimate objects we saw all looked pretty good. The humans looked odd to say the least. It bothered me, and it bothered me beyond a comparison (to the original series) standpoint.

I’m all for anime pushing its boundaries and trying new things. But the result needs to be aesthetically pleasing, or some other positive quality. RWBY had aesthetic and quality issues. Hopefully none of you suffered through something like Ex:Arm, which suffered from everything and was suffering to watch. These animation styles in that vein need to improve.

I’m resisting the temptation to judge this show against the original. I gave in to the temptation once and raged that Milly was absent. But I’m going to try and not judge this against the original, or at least not solely judge it that way. And so I will not overly judge the artwork yet. But even by itself, without comparison, it wasn’t a great start to this series.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Jan 9, 2023 6:20 PM

Sep 2017
At the end of the day, the show is supposed to be something new and different. It’s not going to follow every established trope within the series. I loved the original Trigun anime. But I’m not hardcore enough to be angry at the direction this new show is going.

I will admit that when I first saw the trailers, I was very skeptical about the animation style. Once I watched the first episode though, I got used to it and in some ways like the art style. I especially think that Meryl’s redesign is extremely adorable, and I like it.

Maybe I could be nitpicking the animation more in theory. But again, since this is a new adaptation, it’s not supposed to be fully compared to the original as that’s not the intention. I’m looking forward to how things will turn out.
I wish more people watched Chobits.
Jan 9, 2023 6:52 PM
Nov 2021
pureguava said:
Kalanjay321 said:

if you genuinely think this you are actually clueless💀

no full cgi anime has achieved this fluidity. You may complain about not liking cgi or the art style, but 'pathetic' just shows your complete naivety to the current state of the industry. this is absolutely above what is standard for tv anime.

sorry if I offended you ! but i think I have watched enough anime to say that my statement was not baseless 😋
Jan 9, 2023 6:53 PM
Nov 2021
i just don't like these kind of art , animation! thats all!!
Jan 9, 2023 7:05 PM
Jul 2020
Are you kidding? You’ve gotta be blind comparing this to RWBY
Jan 9, 2023 7:29 PM
Sep 2021
DaThorAkilia said:
I have not read manga, or seen it before (yeah I know) But I’m digging the art style and “everything” - I enjoy a whole spectrum of styles, and I think this is not one of the bades one. It’s good. I really like the first episode 👍

Same here idc if its like cgi or anything it looks really good! I'd rather see something like this as it gives the show its own unique style.
Jan 9, 2023 7:50 PM
Dec 2014
I see a lot of people's complaints and arguments against them. I'd be willing to overlook the design changes, cell shading, etc. the problem is that it's over animated. every single character is over animated to the point that it's really distracting. I don't need everyone to just stand there like Clint Eastwood, but this is crazy. especially with the random close shots that zoom out and other odd direction for the camera work. From a technical standpoint, it's not a well done show.
Jan 9, 2023 7:58 PM

Jul 2019
A show that somehow generates so much contention on both sides is crazy. Week in and week out people gonna go into their big brains and complain about some animations mixed with CGI problems. From a perspective of an average viewer, I bet it looks good. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 9, 2023 8:32 PM
Feb 2019
qkusei said:
I'm definitely bothered by the art to some extent. The art style is what I'm concerned about. It doesn't fit the original anime. On the other hand, the studio is Orange so I expected good CGI, but it still exceeded my expectations.

It is just episode 1 so we'll see how this age. And as for Milly, hopefully she's going to show up and not just be replaced by Robert De Niro.

I agree with you. For me, the animation is the standout here. My only issue is that I’m not a fan of Vash’s design, coupled with everything looking pretty clean. But it’s only the first episode so it might grow on me over time. (Also hoping Roberto will be a little more interesting than experienced alcoholic that doesn’t give a shit.)
Jan 9, 2023 8:33 PM

Apr 2017
No, it looks good. Sure it isn’t as good as the original, but that is hard to beat.
Jan 9, 2023 9:01 PM
Apr 2008
For me this is the best CGI animation in every CGI
Jan 9, 2023 9:11 PM
Nov 2015
The CGI is absolutely phenomenal. The fluidity, and especially all the facial expressions (which were really fun btw), is frankly unmatched for anime in my opinion. It's definitely one of the best CGI anime we've gotten (up there with Houseki no Kuni in my opinion).

I'm definitely still getting use to the fact this is a complete reimagining of Trigun, but with that in mind I don't really have any major complaints with Vash's character design. I prefer the original for sure, but I don't think the new one bad. 
I do hope we see something of Milly though!
Jan 9, 2023 9:56 PM
Apr 2022
cgi animations is the same level as rbwy... the designs are pretty much like 7ds: grudge of Edinburgh
Jan 9, 2023 10:56 PM
Aug 2022
The art was good but the CG was to well done so it covers for it.
Jan 10, 2023 12:44 AM

Dec 2018
How can you complain about the animation when it's amazing? 💀🗿
Jan 10, 2023 12:45 AM
May 2021
Personally I like everything so far! I think the cgi looks very nice here and I like the designs! We will see where it takes us further.
Jan 10, 2023 1:30 AM

Jun 2017
No
Objectively speaking The CGI is amazing and the characters are incredibly expressive and dynamic

You might dislike the designs,you might dislike the story changes, but the animation can't be touched
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 10, 2023 7:58 AM
Dec 2022
idk man,i think visuals are cool
Jan 10, 2023 8:02 AM
Aug 2021
Nah, it is fine. It is just a style and there's nothing outargeous about it
Jan 10, 2023 8:42 AM
Jul 2020
The animation is great. People need to realise that 2D isn't the only form of animation out there
Jan 10, 2023 3:31 PM

May 2020
All of the defenders in here are acting like people just hate CG for being CG but that's not really true. I don't have a bias against CG. I gave Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid a 10/10 ffs. This still looks choppy and terrible to me. Worse than 99% of video games and worse than any western cg movie that I can think of by a long shot. Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid looks choppy to me too, but at least that's not an action series so I can look past it.
Jan 10, 2023 3:44 PM
Jun 2009
before that i thought sidonia had worst cgi in modern history
Jan 10, 2023 5:35 PM
Apr 2022
Animation is impressive. 
Its clearly 3D but stylised to 2D cel-shaded. Prob using some kind of 3D engine to speed things up.

I tend to despise awkward 3D myself, since I cringe if the 3D is looking dead and obvious, as I enjoy watching performance anime, so awkwardly done 3D to me is cringing and jarring. I would point this out, but this show fine to me. I enjoyed and immerse myself in the show.

Conveys humour, expression, look at the clothes physics, captures cinematics better than usual animation...good case in point is during the cluster munitions scene.
This is the future.
Very smooth, made me wish Cyberpunk Edgerunners was animated like this.

Orange has been chosen by Bandai Namco to animate their Idol franchise Idolish7 movie, rather than using their own inhouse Sunrise/Sublimation, that's quite telling.
Jan 11, 2023 12:58 AM

Mar 2019
Didn't watch the original, the art and animation looks good.
Jan 11, 2023 4:27 AM

May 2020
How are so many people saying this looks smooth? Do you seriously not see how choppy it is? It looks like it was animated at 12fps.
Jan 11, 2023 6:08 AM
Jan 2010
Yep. it's slow and looks rubbish. Why on earth creators started to use computer graphics? Ill pas after 1st ep, only thanks to the graphics. Can't stand computer way of animation and graphics itself. Sucks, man. 

Jan 11, 2023 4:36 PM

Dec 2020
No it looks good, you have to be delusional and analyzing the frames and details of the show more than actually watching the show to be able to say this looks worse then some other prominent shows in the past that have mainly used CGI.
read Kingdom, read all of When They Cry and play Muv-Luv + Integrate if that ever releases or die
Jan 11, 2023 7:08 PM
Oct 2016
I enjoyed very much the cgi, anime is still developing this area for their shows and I think we've come a long way and I didn't hate at all the style they chose for this one.
I never watched the old show so I can't say much about the designs, except that at first I preferred the old Vash but now the new look alrw a warmed up to me
Jan 11, 2023 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I had the same thought, the facial expressions are too cartoon-y and exaggerated like in a Pixar film
Jan 11, 2023 7:24 PM
Jul 2022
One thing people need to keep in mind is Trigun was traditionally drawn for over 2 decades, and now that element is completely replaced. For the past 10ish years everything "old" or anything not totally online or digital has been replaced with computers and technology. I'm not saying that's what's happening but it very well may be a part of it. It sucks knowing cel anime will never come back, especially when it definitely could. Everything is becoming hyper computer focused so that may very well be a large element as to why people are frustrated. Especially post-covid where everything began to get shoved online.

Tbh seeing cel animation get further and further away makes me just want to make my own more and more.
minix_animadeJan 11, 2023 7:43 PM
Jan 12, 2023 6:40 AM
Jan 2023
Hello! I just watched the first episode. I find the CGI to be much smoother than what I am used to. HOWEVER, no one has ever done well with CGI when it comes to anime from everything I have seen and witnessed. It looks very unfinished/unpolished especially when its half implemented. A few examples are the new SailorMoon series and OverLord. They also use CGI animation in their series and it stands out WAY too much. It looks like someone copy/pasted parts they couldnt have funding for. 

When a series uses full CGI it looks better due to the consistency however, it still looks like something low budgeted due to the prior animation designs. Even old-school anime styles have better expression than CGI which looks stiff like plastic/forced expression like cartoons. I appreciate the studios for bringing back a classic I have been a fan of since I found it. I watch this series at least once a year since I love how it was done. I dislike super speedy stories that butcher the anime and I dislike really long winded stories that have too much fluff/filler. This was just in the middle which made me love the series even more. 

What others can take from this 
- Dont expect everything to be the same. It is after all a relaunch of a series that has been completed. 
- The story has yet to unfold and is probably the only thing going for this series.  
- The CGI despite the effort made which I can see alot of work has been done is still horrendous. Please STOP. Just stick to the classic until it doesnt look like unrefined shiny plastic dolls copy/pasted on the big screen. Even in the first episode, you can see the background doesnt match the character design. 
Mythic_RumJan 12, 2023 6:46 AM
Jan 12, 2023 9:31 AM

Sep 2018
The CGI looks horrible? That's certainly not my perspective. Then again I dont just watch anime, I also watched many movies, tv shows, and played too many games. So I've seen a lot of CGI and dont care if a show uses it if its done well. Personally I thought the CGI looked great. Not ''for CGI'' but on its own.

GhostCow said:
How are so many people saying this looks smooth? Do you seriously not see how choppy it is? It looks like it was animated at 12fps.

Why would something being animated at 12fps make it choppy? Choppy means its not stable. Not ''low fps''. Smooth doesnt automatically mean higher fps either.
GhostCow said:
Worse than 99% of video games

Yeah, no. Thats bullshit.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Jan 12, 2023 1:05 PM
Oct 2021
I've never seen the old anime that everyone's referencing so the art style is mostly fine to me. The use of CGI and the animation does feel unpleasant to watch when it's the not the fast paced action sequences.
Jan 12, 2023 4:38 PM

Nov 2022
I'm more so bothered by the art design and color palette tbh. The animation actually looks impressive in some scenes but it still feels uncanny overall.
Jan 12, 2023 6:01 PM

Jan 2012
from an animators perspective, the cg animation is better than most shows out tbh. the fact that they were able to make these models be as expressive as drawings is really impressive! orange is a studio that uses cg not as a crutch but as an actual medium, this was one of the first cg shows i've seen actually use depth of field w/ the cameras as well. they play around a lot w/ the focal length/aperture, really making a lot of the scenes feel film like.

i see a lot of complaints abt the "choppiness" here & that is a stylistic choice to be similar to 2D animation. most anime that are out, if not all of them, are created @ 24 fps, and if you were to frame through your favorite anime, you'd see that they were also animated on 2s like this is, generally they're animated at a variable frame rate tho. if they animated this on 1s all the time it would look more unnatural than what people are imagining it looks like now. this actually does use variable frame rate too, in some action scenes it's animated on ones but on most talking scenes it uses 2s. which is honestly better than most 2D anime where there is a static face with just the mouth moving. 

saying this is bad animation is objectively wrong (it follows the animation principles very well), however not liking the style compared to 2D animation is valid!

at first i absolutely despised vash's redesign but i've warmed up to it a lot. going into this expecting it to be different and not comparing it to the OG has made me appreciate it for what it is more
ad stellas super alas angeli.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2023

213 by arminsluvr1 »»
Oct 13, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2023

79 by arminsluvr1 »»
Oct 12, 8:35 AM

» Which Trigun should I watch?

Dhrunto - Jul 30

30 by JoeChip »»
Oct 3, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2023

71 by ANIk_003 »»
Aug 25, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Trigun Stampede Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2023

89 by Gloominscammer »»
Jun 9, 7:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.