Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Aired on AbemaTV just now.

We got a cute show of cute girls although I have to admit a lot of their personalities feel similar for the main cast. There's definitely some cute girl themes here and there and the most noticable cast member being Haizakura.

Cute start even with some of the minor darker themes in this.
Jul 3, 2022 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
ABEMA exclusive weekly pre-release 5 days before TV broadcast (a la Paripi Koumei).

The latest Key and Visual Arts work, and probably the work that thankfully isn't connected to the once-famous, but now disastrous Jun Maeda.

Girls whom are automata dolls (a la Violet Evergarden), but like Lycoris Recoil (and even GochiUsa), works at Café Kuronekotei (The Black Cat Café): pink-haired Haizakura (who's had her memory reset), white-haired Retzel, blue-haired Houkiboshi, yellow-haired Gekka and the normal black Karasuba, with butler-cum-doll craftsman Nagi Tooma.

For a start, Haizakura helping out in the café operations...well that didn't turn out well. Instead, her conversing with Chiyo be reunited with her "sister" Yugiri (whom's now in a state of disrepair and most likely will never awaken again), and by perchance that Nagi actually repaired Yugiri to have her moment with Chiyo, it ain't that but a memory re-activated to purge for a temporal time while being in her broken state. Haizakura may look useless, but I got a feeling that she's an automata like no other.

it just simply ain't a Key work if you never cried a small drop of bucket tears.

I can't help but feel like Prima Doll hasn't shaked off Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall's production quality since it's Bibury Animation Studios back at it again with director Tensho onboard, which also involves a dystopian world and mechanica.

Regardless, a Key work that's not Jun Maeda behind it, would be interesting to see how it all turns out.
KANLen09Jul 8, 2022 9:00 PM
Jul 3, 2022 8:51 AM

Feb 2020
Gochiusa meets Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall. Cute and interesting combo.

Good and very emotional first episode.

Haizakura and Chiyo are so adorable. ^_^ <3

SerafosJul 3, 1:17 AM
Jul 3, 2022 9:19 AM

Nov 2008
This has to be one of the fastest rug pulls they've done, can't even get a whole episode of sisterly love without the rug of happiness being pulled suddenly by Key, the song makes it even more sadder. This is going to get way more sadder as it progresses

Jul 3, 2022 9:43 PM

May 2013
who licensed this again, crunchy? cause I can't find it anywhere
Jul 4, 2022 1:44 AM

Mar 2012
TheIsOtaku said:
It aired early on AbemaTV, that's all.
Jul 4, 2022 3:40 AM

Sep 2012
TheIsOtaku said:
8th July it will be anywhere else than AbemaTV
Jul 4, 2022 7:42 AM
Jul 2019
apparently, the date listed in MAL is just for an exclusive premiere... each episode should air weekly starting July 8 (Friday)
Jul 4, 2022 1:20 PM

Jun 2017
KANLen09 said:
ABEMA exclusive weekly pre-release 5 days before TV broadcast (a la Paripi Koumei).

The latest Key and Visual Arts work, and probably the work that thankfully isn't connected to the once-famous, but now disastrous Jun Maeda.

Girls whom are mecha automata, but like Lycoris Recoil, works at cafe Kuronekotei: pink-haired Haizakura, white-haired Retzel, blue-haired Houkiboshi, yellow-haired Gekka and the normal black Karasuba, with butler Nagi Touma.

For a start, Haizakura helping out Chiyo be reunited with her older sister, it just simply ain't a Key work if you never cried a small drop of bucket tears. For Chiyo to enjoy her short time before she moved away from the war, it takes a form of song to "sing their troubles away".

I can't help but feel like Prima Doll hasn't shaked off Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall's production quality since it's Bibury Animation Studios back at it again, which also involves a dystopian world, mecha and an army force.

Regardless, a Key work that's not Jun Maeda behind it, would be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Considering that Jun Maeda quit writing and sadly considered suicide because his 'fans' harassed him over writing Kamisama ni Natte Hi (which wasn't even horrible??), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this anime isn't written by him.
Jul 4, 2022 3:43 PM

Sep 2020
The characters are very cute, but usually Key's series will get very heavy later on, really curious about how the series is going to progress.
Jul 4, 2022 3:48 PM

Oct 2016
shaadow82 said:
KANLen09 said:

Girls whom are mecha automata, but like Lycoris Recoil, works at cafe Kuronekotei: pink-haired Haizakura, white-haired Retzel, blue-haired Houkiboshi, yellow-haired Gekka and the normal black Karasuba, with butler Nagi Touma.

For a start, Haizakura helping out Chiyo be reunited with her older sister, it just simply ain't a Key work if you never cried a small drop of bucket tears. For Chiyo to enjoy her short time before she moved away from the war, it takes a form of song to "sing their troubles away".

I can't help but feel like Prima Doll hasn't shaked off Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall's production quality since it's Bibury Animation Studios back at it again, which also involves a dystopian world, mecha and an army force.

Considering that Jun Maeda quit writing and sadly considered suicide because his 'fans' harassed him over writing Kamisama ni Natte Hi (which wasn't even horrible??), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this anime isn't written by him.

Wait, you mean Jun Maeda won't write any new stories anymore, not even for visual novels?

And damn, I didn't know he felt that bad because of the harassment he received from Kamisama anime. That's so lame from the fans that attacked him.
Jul 5, 2022 5:17 AM

Mar 2016
There is a special kind of people - who are brought litter in a restaurant, but because of their hypocrisy they cannot say about it, and they say - Kawaii - this is the anime for you.
For others, better watch Eve no Jikan.
evawJul 5, 2022 5:25 AM
Jul 5, 2022 1:28 PM
Jun 2022
KANLen09 said:

Jun is already a legend and has given his best with several kamiges, his high point was with Little Busters! he was the creator and scriptwriter of an anime with an interesting idea but with little time to fully develop as Angel Beats! Which was later adapted to a good vn (which hopefully will be continued), his writing is still fascinating for example in HEAVEN BURNS RED and a genius will be until the end, but it is clear that when it comes to this medium (anime) has so many limitations and is overcome by his ambition, also can not take all the blame when the staff in his two of his last anime was a disaster. Besides being a great composer, sometimes people are so ungrateful.
SakurasLovesJul 5, 2022 1:36 PM
Jul 6, 2022 4:11 AM
Jan 2017
it feel like Plastic Memories,, and yeah it sad a little,, but i think im not gonna watch this,, cause the char and the story not mix well, cute moe char plus sad story i dont tolerate that
Jul 8, 2022 9:45 AM

May 2021
Great episode!
I have read the web novel of prima doll and it is great!
Haizakura of course is sugoku kawaii nano desu!
The epiosde starts different from the web novel surprisingly though.
KARASUMA BEST GIRL!
Very different from the web novel in fact.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Rem4lifexDJul 8, 2022 9:51 AM
AISHITERU...REM!
Jul 8, 2022 10:07 AM

May 2021
is it bad that I laughed at this? 💀

Jul 8, 2022 10:09 AM

Jan 2017
Kamisama turned out to be horrendous, but this newest Key work has potential in it judging off the first episode

Now let's commence the first half introduction of each of the doll maid's abilities haha
Jul 8, 2022 11:01 AM

Mar 2021
Finally get to watch this and it was a great opening episode Haizakura is cute looking forward to the next episode
Jul 8, 2022 11:20 AM

Apr 2010
This was pretty interesting, i am guessing this falls under the steampunk genre judging by how everything worked.
Anyway it seems these dolls have a big influence on humanity, as for the mechanical robots they certainly seem importuned for war.
Let's just hope the girls won't be used for war.
Jul 8, 2022 11:22 AM
Jun 2022
OMG! Sad story for episode 1.

WTF!! I really like Yugiri character design and I want her be alive again with chiyo!

Since she can't remember the past and she lost her memories in a mere seconds, then just replace her logic system and everything that needed to fix her.

Chiyo is a strong little girl and will understand yugiri's situation and they will start a new memories together.
Jul 8, 2022 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
Well, this first episode certainly has me interested to see where this show goes from here. The pacing was a little weird and it felt perhaps too on-the-nose at moments (primarily that scene at the very start), but it's already a strong emotional core we've got here. Plus, it's looking like it's definitely not gonna be as simple as it sounded, which has me all the more interested.
Jul 8, 2022 12:31 PM
Oct 2020
Ok first this looks great and the girls look amazing. I was thinking she was repaired too fast but she only woke up. I wonder if we'll ever see her again. Maybe not but I hope we do. I wonder who that lady at the end is? Also can the things on their back be taken off?
Jul 8, 2022 12:35 PM

Jan 2021
That's a bit unusual for me, this anime introduces several main characters then focuses on side characters and continues with sad scenes.

This anime gives me vibes like Gakkougurashi. The slice of life genre with the tragedy background is interesting I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 8, 2022 12:53 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Back then looks like Automata were used as force multipliers. That sure was a close call with the out of control robots. Haizakura's training sure proved eventful if anything. Im glad that Chiyo's ok though. Looked like she had quite the strong bond with the automaton that Haizakura found. Yugiri though really had it tough. Im glad that she was able to awaken without any side effects though. It was so hearwarming seeing Chiyo spend time with her again. Its unfortunate that it was impossible to repair her but in the end at least they were able to have some nice time together before she returned to her dormant state. I hope that somehow they will be able to repair her. Overall an interesting opening ep that balanced out some nice heartwarming and amusing moments between the cast with some nice worldbuilding. The personalities of each of the dolls so far have been pretty nice and have a good range to them that i feel match well with their respective seiyuus' Given the tone of Otome's arrival seems things have took a more serious turn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2022 1:19 PM

Feb 2019
Well, on one hand, it doesn't shy away from its premise of there being a war and whatnot as much as these things usually do. There is a war still going on, random omnics are plopping into cities to shoot up the place, and it's all not just swept under the rug to make more time for chirping imbeciles to serve each other tea. On the other hand, there's still plenty of time for chirping imbeciles to serve each other tea, and most of what the premise is being used for is to crank the melodramatic music up to eleven and have the characters weep about how much they want to be friends with each other but can't because they have robo-anime illness from war-ing too hard. Yes, yes, Very tragic. Such loud music. So many fields of flowers. And all they want is to be friends. That is when they're not also doing the thing where they sit in a circle and explain the basics of the setting to each other. Did you know that you're a robot? Robots are robotic people who are made by humans to serve them. We humans are huge racists against robots, who are second class citizens, which is why we use them to fight our wars. Not a whole lot of respect for the audience.

It's hardly the first time we've seen this episode or this show, and it certainly won't be the last. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but this crap always comes off to me as insultingly insincere. Instead of telling a compelling story, it goes straight to cloying characters, too perfect and good for this world. Not even Disney princesses are this flawless in all ways. It's corny, and playing very, very loud sad music and slamming the cherry blossom-o-meter to eleven is manipulative. That it doesn't make a lot of sense to make WMDs that are little girl robots in frilly dresses, and would make much more sense to put retired spider-mech AIs into new bodies.
Jul 8, 2022 3:26 PM

Feb 2017
Can't stomach this and it's not due to cgdct or the dark side of war or even the cliche of making war machines shaped like teen girls, what ticked me off is that it seems the only reason they made the girls robots is to objectify them with no drawbacks, meanwhile they're 100% girls that eat, cry tears and are warm to the touch with the added benefit that they don't grow old and instead of taking them to the doctor you take them to the mechanic, oh and since they're objects you can literally own them.
Jul 8, 2022 4:23 PM
Aug 2020
KANLen09 said:

Jun Maeda wrote and composed the opening song for this apparently.
Ace_EntertainersJul 8, 2022 4:26 PM
Jul 8, 2022 4:37 PM
Dec 2021
Would this be another sad anime? Still pretty anticipated judging by the first episode.
Jul 8, 2022 5:05 PM

Aug 2020
beautiful well done visuals and art. I already love the characters

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 8, 2022 5:25 PM

Jun 2017
So bascially Violet Evergarden but instead of CGDCT it's more like cute girls going through depressing things.

The visuals are great as well.
Jul 8, 2022 6:08 PM

Sep 2019
I enjoyed the first episode. This episode reminds me of Violet Evergarden, but in CGDCT form. I also enjoyed the animation and visuals. ED is also very heartwarming. I'm looking forward for the next episode.
GG-WPJul 8, 2022 6:15 PM
Jul 8, 2022 7:30 PM

Jun 2021
This anime has a bit of an Is the Order a Rabbit feel to it but with kick ass androids lol. It also has a bit of a solemn feel to it too. I mean these dolls are built for war. They can get damaged like Yugiri. She’ll never be fixed now because she’ll basically be resetting herself entirely. Poor Chiyo…

I like what I see so far in this anime, but I did feel it sort of ended too abruptly. Hopefully we get to see Chiyo again.

All in all, a decent first episode. Nice bits of action and a balance between cute and serious. I’ll watch a few more episodes to see if this is gonna be a weekly or an end of season binge.
Jul 8, 2022 7:32 PM

Feb 2019
Yea this is great eats already. Gives off vivy and VE vibes with the girls being dolls both literally and metaphorically. Really really cute first episode. Very much looking forward to ending my weeks with this on Friday. Love the art style too! Hopefully maeda Jun has learnt from kamisama ni natta hi
Marinate1016Jul 8, 2022 7:35 PM
Jul 8, 2022 7:56 PM

Jul 2017
@Ace_Entertainers Not gonna quote the whole thing. Jun Maeda can still do good in everything else, it's just that his writing has become subpar at best and worst.
Jul 8, 2022 8:39 PM
Apr 2022
TheIsOtaku said:

It's on HIDIVE in the U.S. starting today (June 8).
Jul 8, 2022 8:43 PM

Nov 2010
It's just a coincidence but this show has some similarity with Lycoris Recoil.
  • The girls/robots were made to deal with terrorism/war.
  • They serve as maids during their main duties are off.
  • The 1st episodes inserted brief dark future development at the ending or beginning of the episode.
As far as having watched both episodes, it seems Lycoris Recoil has more potential than this.
Jul 8, 2022 9:08 PM

Jul 2019
Well, i really like the idea and premise that this show is telling, and is very promising tbh, but there is something that bothered me on this first episode. I don't know if this has any source material or if this is a completely original anime, but i felt it really rushed, on a moment i thought i jumped to another chapter by accident, but they really told that girl Chiyo's story on just one chapter, which on my opinion could have started on the next chapter and ended on the third. It felt really fast paced that it hardly made me feel something on some scenes. I don't know if im the only one that thinks this though.
"¡¡¡¡¡¡FUUKOOOOOU DAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"
Jul 8, 2022 10:23 PM
Aug 2019
That was cute but... It went like, way too fast lol. I know it's supposed to be sad but i couldn't really feel anything about it since i don't feel like i got to connect too much with the characters...
Jul 8, 2022 10:34 PM

Nov 2018
This Chiyo girl's story felt like some mid-season filler instead of anything important. It went by too fast to have any impact.
Jul 8, 2022 11:03 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Murase Ayumu sounded so feminine in his first scene it had me confused for a second.

I thought the cafe was going to be a lot more popular so seeing only a couple of patrons was unexpected.

don't expect this to be some cutesy wholesome show, there's gonna be a hell lot of action..

Beautifully drawn, a bit on the sweet side. Feel good, funny, sad, philosophical, military, war..war.. it'll be wonderful to watch cute machine girls.

Jul 9, 2022 12:00 AM

Nov 2016
anyone have extra ninja onion cutting repelent?
Jul 9, 2022 1:29 AM

Dec 2010
RayReynolds said:
Well, on one hand, it doesn't shy away from its premise of there being a war and whatnot as much as these things usually do. There is a war still going on, random omnics are plopping into cities to shoot up the place, and it's all not just swept under the rug to make more time for chirping imbeciles to serve each other tea. On the other hand, there's still plenty of time for chirping imbeciles to serve each other tea, and most of what the premise is being used for is to crank the melodramatic music up to eleven and have the characters weep about how much they want to be friends with each other but can't because they have robo-anime illness from war-ing too hard. Yes, yes, Very tragic. Such loud music. So many fields of flowers. And all they want is to be friends. That is when they're not also doing the thing where they sit in a circle and explain the basics of the setting to each other. Did you know that you're a robot? Robots are robotic people who are made by humans to serve them. We humans are huge racists against robots, who are second class citizens, which is why we use them to fight our wars. Not a whole lot of respect for the audience.

It's hardly the first time we've seen this episode or this show, and it certainly won't be the last. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but this crap always comes off to me as insultingly insincere. Instead of telling a compelling story, it goes straight to cloying characters, too perfect and good for this world. Not even Disney princesses are this flawless in all ways. It's corny, and playing very, very loud sad music and slamming the cherry blossom-o-meter to eleven is manipulative. That it doesn't make a lot of sense to make WMDs that are little girl robots in frilly dresses, and would make much more sense to put retired spider-mech AIs into new bodies.

Whu do you keep copypasting text from Tenka Seiha?
Jul 9, 2022 2:10 AM
Aug 2021
Luxeraph said:
Can't stomach this and it's not due to cgdct or the dark side of war or even the cliche of making war machines shaped like teen girls, what ticked me off is that it seems the only reason they made the girls robots is to objectify them with no drawbacks, meanwhile they're 100% girls that eat, cry tears and are warm to the touch with the added benefit that they don't grow old and instead of taking them to the doctor you take them to the mechanic, oh and since they're objects you can literally own them.

Twitter moment ……
Jul 9, 2022 2:15 AM
Aug 2020
KANLen09 said:
@Ace_Entertainers Not gonna quote the whole thing. Jun Maeda can still do good in everything else, it's just that his writing has become subpar at best and worst.

Well I think it just after you have wrote some amazing stuff the fan expectations rise high and the forget that the writer is human too. His last anime was ok it was definitely not amazing but it was decent and not how people were like "This is one of the worst anime I have ever seen."
Jul 9, 2022 2:18 AM
Aug 2020
WiblurFootIA said:
Luxeraph said:

Twitter moment ……

Well this is a MAL moment I have seen more messed up people here than on Twitter.
Jul 9, 2022 2:21 AM
Aug 2021
Ace_Entertainers said:
WiblurFootIA said:

Twitter moment ……

Well this is a MAL moment I have seen more messed up people here than on Twitter.

Yeah true some of the things I have read on here have given me permanent brain damage
Jul 9, 2022 7:32 AM

Feb 2007
Well, didn't expect to see Key listed there at the start. I guess there will be another addition if Kaginado ever gets another season.

And really should have known I'd be in tears by the end of the episode once I saw that name...
Jul 9, 2022 11:18 AM

Mar 2014
I'm a bit surprised, I thought this is gonna be another KonoUsagi but looks there's more to it than meets the eye
Jul 9, 2022 11:48 AM

Jun 2016
this looks promising !!
Jul 9, 2022 1:02 PM
Jun 2019
Cute

The paradox

She said with a beaming smile on her face.

Seems like a mix of Shadows House, Vivy, and Lyrocis Recoil. Anyway, the pretty cute first episode, but you can definitely feel a much darker undertone brewing in the background. Don’t let the cutesy art style deceive you.

The pacing felt pretty fast, and I don't know whether or not we were supposed to feel sad for Chiyo, but I just couldn't. We weren't given enough time to connect with any character, especially Yugiri. I could sympathize with Chiyo, I guess, but nothing further than that.

Hi Sakura
Hai Sakura
Joey-XD19202Jul 9, 2022 1:09 PM
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2022

58 by Sniffer94 »»
Oct 8, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2022

31 by wildhood »»
Aug 5, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2022

28 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jul 26, 2:53 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2022

40 by welcome2atlantis »»
Sep 8, 2023 5:59 AM

» Cringe

Stormen - Mar 26, 2023

11 by RSGX »»
Apr 11, 2023 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.