Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 28, 2022 5:34 PM

Sep 2015
I have only read the first volume of the light novel up until now, but it has huge potential from what i've seen. It's like a mix between harry potter, made in abyss, and hai to gensou no grimgar.

Magic schools in anime aren't really uncommon, but for some reason this one really gives me harry potter vibes.
The novel reminds me of grimgar because the world seems to be fantastic and realistic at the same time.
And made in abyss because the show hides a certain darkness/degeneracy similar to the abyss, as well as another reason.

Here's a synopsis of the novel that i made for a friend some years ago :

The protagonist, Oliver, is admitted at the most famous magic school in the world, Kimberly. The school has been built above ancient ruins, hiding a labyrinth with many secrets which still haven't been discovered until this day. A curious occurrence, however, is that the ruins are alive. During the day, it doesn't do anything. But, during the night... The students who have the misfortune of not being able to return to their dormitories will have to face the ruins, that manifest themselves inside the school, turning the corridors, classrooms, as well as many other locations of the school into a labyrinth full of monsters, demons, and other creatures. Unfortunately for the freshmen, the monsters aren't the only danger, as numerous senior students lurk in the night, searching for lost freshmen to capture them and use them in their magic experiments. The labyrinth becomes more and more dangerous the deeper you go into it, like an abyss.
In this school, full of insanity and danger, the protagonist and his friends try to survive as much as they can.

Basicaly, since it's a novel written by the same author as aldemarin in the sky, y'all can expect some blood and a lot of deaths. As i said, there's some harry potter+made in abyss+grimgar, and maybe some berserk too.
Feb 28, 2022 8:34 PM
Jan 2021
Can't wait to see Nanao
Mar 2, 2022 12:56 AM
Jul 2021
im reading vol 4 and chela is the best girl. If they adapt that scene of chela I'm going crazy
May 1, 2022 1:08 AM
Mar 2021
Abigor111 said:
im reading vol 4 and chela is the best girl. If they adapt that scene of chela I'm going crazy
u mean best girl for Oliver? or just best girl as in Best girl(waifu)?
May 1, 2022 1:14 AM
Jul 2021
Radtoter said:
Abigor111 said:
Radtoter said:
Abigor111 said:

Both(chars limit)
May 1, 2022 4:54 AM
Mar 2021
Abigor111 said:
Radtoter said:
Radtoter said:

Both(chars limit)
but its not a harem or love triangle is it?
May 1, 2022 5:07 AM
Jul 2021
Radtoter said:
Abigor111 said:

Both(chars limit)

You could consider a love triangle but it's doesn't have any drama, romance it's not the focus of this series.
May 1, 2022 6:22 AM
Mar 2021
Abigor111 said:
Radtoter said:

You could consider a love triangle but it's doesn't have any drama, romance it's not the focus of this series.
ah k i mean i guess it could be a harem if more keep coming but dont think so as his/her previous works havent been well thats a lie i guess Big order could be argued for but other than that its farlry new i believe so i guess we shall wait and see if any new characters make a apperance looking forward to the anime
Jun 19, 2022 12:56 AM

May 2014
This is a bleak and miserable series, and I mean that in a good sense. The characters are not radically evil, but people who are good deep down still end up committing atrocities. Their downward spiral into moral decay is plausible and often sympathetic.

SaintGeekSG said:
Magic schools in anime aren't really uncommon, but for some reason this one really gives me harry potter vibes.
I suspect that this series is a critique of JK Rowling, actually.

SaintGeekSG said:
Basicaly, since it's a novel written by the same author as aldemarin in the sky, y'all can expect some blood and a lot of deaths.
Based on five volumes, I would argue that Alderamin feels bright and cheerful in comparison.

Like Alderamin, this is also political in some ways, maybe surprisingly so for a magic school setting. It just goes to show you that the setting by itself doesn't tell you much.

It is much more mystery-oriented than Alderamin, so there is also that. Very heavy use of foreshadowing also.

Radtoter said:
Abigor111 said:

ah k i mean i guess it could be a harem if more keep coming but dont think so as his/her previous works havent been well thats a lie i guess Big order could be argued for but other than that its farlry new i believe so i guess we shall wait and see if any new characters make a apperance looking forward to the anime
Saying that romance is "not the focus of this series" is a bit misleading. Romance is not *the* focus, but it receives decent attention anyway. It is just that the situation is highly abnormal because of the way the plot works.

If I had to categorize, it is a Love Dodecahedron. There exists a network of potential pairings among the various characters.

But the main issue here isn't really the number of people or the romance chart but how the plot works. It is difficult to explain precisely without spoilers, but it isn't the kind of "normal" light novel situation in which you can casually have a "normal" romance. You can have a non-standard one though.
TheDeedsOfMenJun 23, 2022 5:46 PM
Jun 23, 2022 11:27 PM
Mar 2021
TheDeedsOfMen said:
This is a bleak and miserable series, and I mean that in a good sense. The characters are not radically evil, but people who are good deep down still end up committing atrocities. Their downward spiral into moral decay is plausible and often sympathetic.

SaintGeekSG said:

SaintGeekSG said:
Basicaly, since it's a novel written by the same author as aldemarin in the sky, y'all can expect some blood and a lot of deaths.
Based on five volumes, I would argue that Alderamin feels bright and cheerful in comparison.

Like Alderamin, this is also political in some ways, maybe surprisingly so for a magic school setting. It just goes to show you that the setting by itself doesn't tell you much.

It is much more mystery-oriented than Alderamin, so there is also that. Very heavy use of foreshadowing also.

Radtoter said:
Saying that romance is "not the focus of this series" is a bit misleading. Romance is not *the* focus, but it receives decent attention anyway. It is just that the situation is highly abnormal because of the way the plot works.

If I had to categorize, it is a Love Dodecahedron. There exists a network of potential pairings among the various characters.

But the main issue here isn't really the number of people or the romance chart but how the plot works. It is difficult to explain precisely without spoilers, but it isn't the kind of "normal" light novel situation in which you can casually have a "normal" romance. You can have a non-standard one though.
u say various characters but there is only 1 male the main protag isnt there? at least thats a main character and hopefully no deaths
Jul 1, 2022 10:11 AM

May 2014
Radtoter said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

u say various characters but there is only 1 male the main protag isnt there? at least thats a main character and hopefully no deaths
I'm sorry, but what are you even saying? Obviously the series has more male characters than just the protagonist. There are dozens. Did you type that wrong or something?
Jul 1, 2022 10:31 AM
Mar 2021
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Radtoter said:
I'm sorry, but what are you even saying? Obviously the series has more male characters than just the protagonist. There are dozens. Did you type that wrong or something?
i dont know how it sounded to u but basically im asking if we'll see more of the other classmates and such like becoming friends basically is what im asking or if they'll just remain as background characters?
Jul 9, 2022 10:24 PM

May 2014
Radtoter said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
i dont know how it sounded to u but basically im asking if we'll see more of the other classmates and such like becoming friends basically is what im asking or if they'll just remain as background characters?
I wouldn't have wasted my breath mentioning a love dodecahedron if they were only background characters. I meant legitimate characters.

But you shouldn't picture this series as some kind of typical school romance anyway. That's not what the story is about. Even the romance is somewhat non-standard because of plot reasons.
Jul 9, 2022 11:08 PM
Mar 2021
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Radtoter said:
I wouldn't have wasted my breath mentioning a love dodecahedron if they were only background characters. I meant legitimate characters.

But you shouldn't picture this series as some kind of typical school romance anyway. That's not what the story is about. Even the romance is somewhat non-standard because of plot reasons.
A love dodecahedron? is there that many love interests for the guy(s)? or girl(s)? i kinda thought this was more action packed which might still be the case but still feels weird to have that many interests for either the boy or girl.
Jul 16, 2022 1:39 AM

May 2014
Radtoter said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

A love dodecahedron? is there that many love interests for the guy(s)? or girl(s)? i kinda thought this was more action packed which might still be the case but still feels weird to have that many interests for either the boy or girl.
The series is neither primarily about action nor romance. It is about ethical, social, and political problems, and also about mystery and deception. It just happens to include fight scenes and romance too. (This is the guy who wrote Alderamin, after all. He still likes many of the same things.)

The definition of a love dodecahedron is that there is a web-like structure of romantic interests among many characters. If it was all centered around a single person, that wouldn't be a love dodechedron; it would just be a regular love triangle or a harem. The cast of characters here is pretty massive, so it isn't surprising that there are many characters with multiple romance options. Off the top of my head, more than half a dozen characters have multiple options. Maybe I am forgetting a few.

...That said, with the way the plot is, there isn't much time for casual romance. It isn't a standard school romance series. The ships are much more likely to sink for other plot reasons than love rival drama.

Sometimes it is also socially relevant because they talk pretty openly about sexuality, sex, gender, family planning, broken homes, and other related issues.
TheDeedsOfMenJul 16, 2022 1:43 AM
May 22, 2023 12:38 AM
Mar 2022
This looks like generic ln stuff ngl. And to top it off animated by J. C. Staff yeah not really selling the idea to me
Jun 10, 2023 10:03 AM

Dec 2020
Pretty surprised there's not much talk about this. The PV looked pretty well and it's not pre-animated. Production looks pretty good.
Jun 29, 2023 11:25 AM

Apr 2013
That second trailer (the one that was released early June) was way better than the first one IMO. It's way easier for me to be confident about the adaptation quality after that one tbh. Of course, they could always make very dumb decision in what to cut, in the pacing, and weird uncalled for changes that would ruin the adaptation, but at the very least, whatever they've been showing so far looks pretty solid.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.