Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 16, 2020 10:10 AM
Jan 2016
Wait wait wait.....is the MC 20??? I can't rememver the last time they displayed underage drinking in an anime, so it must be...my goodness I would not have guessed that was her age XD
Jul 18, 2020 8:47 AM
Mar 2018
I know a lot of people have brushed the show as nothing more than a rip off of Attack on Titan but I simply don't get why just because it took some inspiration from another show, its automatically bad. I mean every story took inspiration from another source and Deca-Dance is no different. And from the looks of it, the show seems to be like a combination of Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagaan, Mortal Engines and even a little bit of Planetes thrown in there for good measure. And honestly, this was a very enjoyable first episode.

Our main character, Natsume, while fitting the obvious quotas of a main character, doesn't come across as generic whatsoever. She reminded me a lot of Emma from The Promised Neverland. Plus she has a metal arm which is always a win in my books. Her boss, Kaburegi,(I think that's his name) is pretty cool too and I can't wait to see his backstory. Plus there was a lot of mysteries that was set up that I can't wait to see get answered like:

What are these weird monsters and where do they come from?

Who is Kaburegi and what is his backstory? At this point, I have a lot of theories regarding this one. I feel like he was once part of the gear but for some reason left it because he lost someone very dear to him or just got tired of all the fighting. Or maybe he just got demoted because of something he did in the past. I am willing to bet that one of these theories is going to be the case with this guy.

Also what was up with the so called bugs they brought in these episode? Are they basically one of those monsters who can transform into humans or something and the boss is basically trying to take them all out whenever he discovers one?

And what was that final tid bit at the very end with those weird alien like creatures? Are they another form of monsters that live in space and is monitoring the humans or something? Are they the real Villains?

These are some of main questions that I hope get answered in this show. Now I have no clue if this is based on a manga or is an anime original. I am hoping for the latter because that might boost the chance that this might be a one season kind of a deal and we will get all of our questions answered by the end. And if it's based on a manga, maybe it might be a short one and I will still get my wish.

Anyway this was a really good first episode and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Jul 19, 2020 10:01 PM

Feb 2015
A truly strong start, great introduction and mystery in just the first episode. I was a bit confused but gladly this episode didn’t introduce a lot of characters, the first scene was cool and it quickly jumped to the present era, where we received an introduction of where we’re now, I’m having vibes of the movie Oblivion here. Koburagi was an interesting guy from the beginning, he has a small gadoll, he collects something for someone, he knows Minato for a reason and is skilled to defeat gadolls. From the scene where all the gears went to fight, it reminded me a lot of Mad Max, and it was very cool, it just needed a guy playing the guitar in the middle of the chaos, and the gadolls establish an area where the gears can float, as I could notice. Wtf with the green-hair guy. The animation was great, it reminded me of trigger in some scenes, but it was fluid and cartoonish in comic moments, so it was enjoyable. And wtf with the last scene and those strange creatures.
Jul 20, 2020 5:44 AM
Mar 2012
kinda rare to get an exuberant episode 1 nowadays. So much dynamic oldschool styled animation of mortalengines, and many designs and fortress vs aliens keep recalling DarlingintheFranxx.
Most interested in badass Kaburagi, else most other characters eh kinda no impression.
CG motion not quite there, but most blended well enough & the grand scenes especially fortress punch was definitely epic.
Jul 20, 2020 9:11 PM

Jan 2013
What a start! So basically this last civilization lives by sucking the energy/blood out of the monsters! Damn!
Even tho i find the way that they fought against those monsters a little inefficient, couldn't they just shoot those pipes out of cannons from a distance? Still, very interesting first episode!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 21, 2020 3:25 PM

Mar 2020
Damn this was actually way better than expected, i thought it was gonna be some try hard edgy Attack on Titan wannabe, like trash ass Kabaneri.

It's also giving me some Monster Hunter vibes with those weird ass colourful creatures at the end. I’m just hoping they don’t go the edgy route because you know that shit is coming at some point.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 22, 2020 3:11 PM

Apr 2016
I had no expectation so I found the episode enjoyable and the protagonist seems charming.
Jul 22, 2020 8:48 PM

Jan 2019
Feels like Howl's Moving Castle, Gurren Lagann, Land of the Lustrous, and Attack on Titan mixed together with some steampunk cars. Not hating though, I liked what I saw so far and I think it has potential. The visuals are good, despite some of the fight scene being a bit hard to follow. Not a fan of the archetype MC, but it gives room for development.
Jul 26, 2020 3:51 AM
Jan 2010
This CG is nauseating
Jul 28, 2020 2:53 AM
Jul 2020
That mobile fortress reminds me of Kino no Tabi.
Jul 29, 2020 7:00 PM

Apr 2018
The first episode was pretty good with tons of action in the beginning and the end. We get introduced to Natsume and how the world around them works.
Aug 9, 2020 1:07 PM
Jul 2020
This first episode was quite okay.
We will see what story is about but i hope the plot will be nicely done,if not action is all its got.
The action scenes are quite well animated,the mechanics surrounding the battles are well thought too,hope to see more of it even the monsters are mehh.
The deca-dence punch at the end was so well animated and beautiful(i thought for a second it was an ultimate from Naruto storm 4 or something).
The characters were mehhh too in design and personality,did not really attach but we will see.
No openings or ending this episode,but music seemed like log horizon for some reason,I was thinking a more video game or futuristic oriented music genre.
I look foward to more of this show
Aug 10, 2020 10:53 AM

Oct 2013
I really enjoyed this episode! If the quality of the show is going to increase or at least not decrease, it might be an anime that I did not expect to be that good during Summer 2020 season in which animes that are being aired did not really grab my attention.

I wonder why some of those people have green or violet skin colours, lol. Maybe it is somehow related to devouring too much of those monsters' blood?
AdnashAug 10, 2020 11:02 AM
Aug 15, 2020 9:20 AM

Mar 2019
Really like the designs and animation, world seems interesting although not that original, music is great. I really liked the protagonist too and even though she seems young apparently is an adult so that's refreshing tbh, too many teenager protagonists.
Sep 16, 2020 4:14 PM
Oct 2019
That was really good. 8/10

This needs to be classified as a comedy because that was hilarious.

So they've lost knowledge of previous tech? Based on the opening seen. Also, that "coin" her dad found had the same emblem as the one at the end. Speaking of the end, what the heck was that? Looked like odd characters inside an arcade game or something.

Anyways, poor girl lost her dad and her arm on that fateful day in the opening scene? Sad. But now her boss is an undercover secret agent? What "chips" is he retrieving?

So they drain the blood/goo from those creatures to kill them, and fuel the decadence? Hmm.

The giant mobile fortress reminds me of a show. Especially the giant grooves in the earth that the tracks leave. Howl's Castle keeps popping in my head but I don't *think* it's that. I'll have to look into this. EDIT: Mortal Engines (live-action movie)
HagePotPotatoSep 16, 2020 4:24 PM
Sep 27, 2020 11:38 PM

Aug 2017
I like how when Natsume loses her arm as kid she doesn't give a fuck lmao. I appreciate that the plot is not as similar to AOT as I had thought, but it does show an inspiration from it. Looks like a mix between Darling in the FranXX, AoT and kaijus so far. Sadly, Natsume is just another generic brat and I have to tolerate her for the remaining 11 episodes -.-. I'm far more interested in Kaburagi and the rest of mysteries than her. Finally, the comedy sucks too.

It's an OK first episode. This was supposedly the most "underrated" anime of Summer season, let's see if the quality is good or they lied to me.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 3, 2020 9:11 AM

Feb 2019
Holyyyy

The visuals looks absolutely amazinggggggg

The boss is a badass.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Nov 13, 2020 8:28 PM
Apr 2020
Enjoyable first episode. Natsume is outspoken, smart and driven. I appreciate the creator's decision of her being a person with a disability, a rarity for the protagonist. It's a bummer to see so folks down her for wanting to join The Power.

Crazy intrigued by Kaburagi. Opens as the gruff boss, but hello weird secret identity as an enforcer/collector of "bugs". And then his genius combat in the Gadoll battle! Who are you?!

The Gear are wild. And super cute bots! Interesting....

The animation style is gorgeous and is on full display in the Gadoll fight scene. Fantastic scenic moments that give a sense of the world and Deca-dence. Liking the music soundtrack.
Nov 19, 2020 4:17 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Thanks to gigguk’s summer 2020 anime in a nutshell, I’ve come across some nice high octane action. Feels like I’m watching gurren Lagan again in 2020 and it’s awesome

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Dec 4, 2020 9:47 AM

Oct 2010
impressive, this is how you make a first episode, looks a bit like blue gender and kabaneri which is good, I like the premise. The action at the end was great, awesome sakuga, I don't know what the hell was that weird end scene with the little robots, this anime is a mystery.
Dec 30, 2020 9:27 AM

Jul 2015
Premise seems similiar to AOT and Chrome Shelled regions while the rest feels similiar to TTGL and other works of Studios Gainax and Trigger. Really interesting so far, especially the part where boss entered professional killer mode and the mobile fortress/city/thing big weapon launched.

Apr 2, 2021 6:19 AM

Mar 2020
A pretty good start to this series. I generally avoid watching seasonal anime because of all of the other stuff I have to get through, but I'm glad I put this on my plan to watch while it was airing. The frame rate on both the 2d and 3d animation was a little bit of an eyesore at times, but it more than makes up for it with how engaging and carefully thought out the action scenes are.
Apr 13, 2021 6:28 AM

Mar 2016
Very interesting so far. I'm intrigued. Bring it, Deca-dence

I'm also noticing some similarity in the soundtrack's style with Fairy Tail. Loving it.
iamDragoncatApr 13, 2021 6:37 AM

Apr 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Dec 2013
A solid first episode. The old man secretly being a badass wasn't surprising.

The ending was really wtf.
Aug 5, 2021 10:55 PM
Mar 2020
First episode and its safe to say that its not too bad. Natsume, one of our protagonists has a very spunky personality in contrast to Kaburagi, who is a very apathetic character.

I am going to take a guess that Kaburagi also wanted to be one of the soldiers, similar to how Natsume also wants to be a soldier and just like her he was also rejected and sort of accepted that fact?

I have seen a lot of comments saying that this anime is fairly similar to Attack on Titan? Not sure where that might be so, but I just think that the creators might have found inspiration.
Aug 9, 2021 10:06 AM
Jul 2019
I'm an AOT fan too and I'm loving this so far <3 It's unique in its own way and I really like the main characters and the world building in this. Looking forward to more eps!
May 6, 2022 8:03 PM

Jul 2021
The narrative is going to make or break because it's really messy IMO and the action is over the top but not in a bad sense.
Dec 8, 2022 4:29 AM

Nov 2022
Good first episode. MC is pretty likeable, I thought she was going to be more reckless and hot-blooded but she is quite mature and reasonable. Biggest moment for me was the small moment when she didn't obsess over killing Pipe and actually became friends with it.
Dec 13, 2022 5:14 AM

Dec 2021
It's not an awful start ig
May 27, 2023 10:01 PM

Dec 2022
That was a really cool first episode... the main character is so wonderful! I love her design. Interesting story too, Also there were so many nicely animated sequences! I wonder if this quality keeps up!
Aug 9, 2023 3:25 PM

Sep 2014
The animation and overbearing action has a big Trigger/gainax feel to it

The plot hasnt catched me yet though.. I guess its going to be one of the "just ok" shows
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 14, 2023 4:58 AM
Aug 2023
I can think of very few times a first episode has given me so much to chew on. there are so many layers of things to consider. the repairman boss is some kind of debugger, does that mean this is all a game? whats up with the little robot guys at the end? whats the Deca-Dence cannon? beautiful visual spectacle and some great characters, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
Feb 24, 10:21 PM

Jul 2021
I was not expecting much from this anime but after that first episode i'm surprised. The main character is alright i like her boss more. The animation is also pretty solid, the end sequence was amazing.

off to the next.

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.