Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 14, 2020 4:28 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is like watching two guys taking on a video game boss. It's crazy to think how powerful Devimon has evolved and strong he is now.

Tons of action this episode and at one moment, NeoDevimon looks like he got drunk with power. A hell of a comeback for that fight though. Taichi and Wargreymon's fighting spirit were able to overcome all that power, which I am quite impressed by.
Nov 14, 2020 7:24 PM

Feb 2019
That whole final sequence was sick. Takeru and Angemon coming to the rescue when MetalGreymon needed it the most.

Dondevimon may be gone, but looks like we got a new threat next week. Can’t wait. Last couple episodes have certainly seen a return to form for the series.
Nov 14, 2020 8:14 PM

May 2008
There's a lot I can say about this episode. But I'm just left thinking, "Thanks for proving it's Taichi that has a crush of Yamato." lest I go off.

But, hey, at least the Mugendramon was actually foreshadowing. I prefer Skullgreymon tho.
Nov 14, 2020 9:16 PM

Jan 2009
that Evil MetalGreymon is cool too but that mega level WarGreymon is cooler in the end

and nice sakuga scenes on this episode but from the PV of next episode it looks like back to average animation again
Nov 14, 2020 9:42 PM

Jul 2017
NeoDevimon into DoneDevimon, that's a hell of a final Dark Digivolution, and the Taichi and Yamato show is gonna get even more tranced.

Takeru and Angemon really came through this episode for Taichi and MetalGreymon's corrupted Digivolution into Machinedramon, and that's the least saying of all the evil dealt with the past episodes.

In the end, the final evolution of Agumon into Mega-level WarGreymon, THAT WAS DOPE AS HELL. And Tokomon's evolution into the classic Patamon, that was well worth it.

The evil curses aren't over just yet...
Nov 14, 2020 9:46 PM

Oct 2017
That battle was sick yo and Agumon turned into WarGreymon for a while there, too bad it wasn't a full evolution and only aura of sort.
Nov 15, 2020 12:08 AM
Sep 2015
I think this is the nice implementation of Agumon's misevolution from the original one, though it's not skullgreymon. I can never guess what's happen in this reboot. But what I'm confident is the relationship between Taichi and Yamato goes beyond friendship.

Talking about relationship, look like what happened between Devimon and Angemon in the past will never be revealed, which is good. What happened in the bedroom stay in the bedroom.
Nov 15, 2020 12:24 AM

Jul 2013
Good episode, albeit the pacing is super fast. It's neat that DoneDevimon resembles the "core" of VenomVandemon, plus his movement is way creepier.

The fight was good all around. There's something magical in seeing mindless monsters duking it out. Wish it was 2 episodes instead of 1 but oh well.
Nov 15, 2020 12:53 AM

May 2011
24 Episodes and we have Mega Evolutions and my suspension of disbelief is gone to the toilet with Matt surviving being burned and being tossed like that to the ground.

There are no high risks at all, how can you tell me that he doesn't have a broken bone at least. I know this is a kids a show but if Tai can bleed, don't tell me Matt survived that when in the original even getting electrocuted was seen as deadly when they thought they were just data inside the Digiworld like a character in a videogame.

Evolution has no meaning in this show, it is just a plot device, non saying it isn't in previous series but where is the emotion of seeing a brand new evolution here?NOWHERE! So now Patamon is Calumon. Here another plot taken from a previous series.

Sorry to say this but even Tri feels better than this in certain points.
Nov 15, 2020 3:19 AM

Aug 2018
I'll admit the animation was really nice and the whole final sequence was "visually" cool
but other than that, I completely agree with Ikevsan

Also, why the hell did Weregarurumon steps on these things he shoots when can just simply fly directly lol There are many things here that don't make any sense but are just here because they look cool
Nov 15, 2020 3:36 AM

Jan 2016
I think you're thinking too hard on seeing what is bad on each chapter. Try enjoying it and try to stop comparing everything to the original series, which was 20 years ago. Things have changed, the audience wants other things, etc. All the other digimon series were really monotonous, let them change.

This episode was fire. I'm so glad that mugendramon appeared. The animation was so good too

Metallica_Nero said:

just for reference, in your pfp character fight there was a kid who puked razors and sticked his fingers inside his throat to take out some scissors, and survived.
Nov 15, 2020 3:53 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
lkevsan said:
24 Episodes and we have Mega Evolutions and my suspension of disbelief is gone to the toilet with Matt surviving being burned and being tossed like that to the ground.

There are no high risks at all, how can you tell me that he doesn't have a broken bone at least. I know this is a kids a show but if Tai can bleed, don't tell me Matt survived that when in the original even getting electrocuted was seen as deadly when they thought they were just data inside the Digiworld like a character in a videogame.

Evolution has no meaning in this show, it is just a plot device, non saying it isn't in previous series but where is the emotion of seeing a brand new evolution here?NOWHERE! So now Patamon is Calumon. Here another plot taken from a previous series.

I agree, the digivolutions make no sense from time to time or are really confusing to me at the very least. Like, how did Tokomon protect Takeru from a mega digimon's attack? Literal plot armor? Where did Donedevimon come from? And the miasma evolution? Was it ever established it can do that? What do any of the emblems even mean to anyone who hasn't watched the original series? How many functions do the digivices actually have?

These questions probably come from the pacing being so fast that there's no buildup to pretty much anything that happens on screen or no time to explain it. That makes the character development for the most part not fit the many tense moments these series could have had but just doesn't.

All in all, this episode really left me wondering as to what to expect in the future, though my hopes are quite low at this point.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 15, 2020 4:03 AM

Mar 2015
Devimon beats weregarurumon and Metal Greymon easily, same for neodevimon.
And it only takes some random bullshit and they defeat him in is mega form, in only one blow xD
At least they could have spend one or two more episodes for this final fight

The Machinedramon scene was rushed and because of that, didn't had any impact. They tried do inspire in the tamers dark evolution scene, but this... was just bad.
Nov 15, 2020 4:24 AM

Mar 2015
This series has become beyond retarded. Anything goes. Whatever bullshit comes to writers' mind lol. Is this written by monkeys or what? And lately I've been noticing that Namikawa's performance as Yamato is bad. He sounds uninterested and bored in some scenes. He's usually a great VA, but not here.
BliuTigerNov 15, 2020 4:30 AM
Nov 15, 2020 4:39 AM

Sep 2019
It indeed gave me the chills once or twice and the action was super, but I get the feeling that every other episode is exciting and then the next is okayish... well.. we'll see.
Just a hunch.
Nov 15, 2020 4:44 AM

Apr 2020
Good episode. The animation was so good I thought Wargreymon was going to use great tornado like he did to Metalseadramon at Digimon Adventure. You made me dream, Toei.

But I keep asking myself why the kids keep running straight to the battle along with their digimon. Ok, Taichi has the courage crest. But that's not courage, it's just stupid. But no problem, Yamato works out every day and those two attacks were nothing. The kids these days man... you know, they're different.

And man, that sacred power is OP as fuck. Tokomon, a baby digimon holding a final stage digimon attack for a while in a sacred bubble.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Nov 15, 2020 5:06 AM

Aug 2018
Serlu said:

Metallica_Nero said:

just for reference, in your pfp character fight there was a kid who puked razors and sticked his fingers inside his throat to take out some scissors, and survived.

Okay and your point is? I agree that what you described doesn't make sense.
Just because I put an anime character in my profile picture doesn't automatically means that I agree or like everything that happened in that show. I hate these kinds of baseless and lazy arguments.

Also, believe me I'm not "thinking too hard" about this or anything. I know it is supposed to be a kid show and it would be great if I could enjoy it as much as you do, but these kinds of thoughts come into my mind naturally as I'm watching and I can't help but feel annoyed. And I believe I have the right to express my thoughts here
Nov 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Jan 2016
Metallica_Nero said:
Serlu said:

Okay and your point is? I agree that what you described doesn't make sense.
Just because I put an anime character in my profile picture doesn't automatically means that I agree or like everything that happened in that show. I hate these kinds of baseless and lazy arguments.

Also, believe me I'm not "thinking too hard" about this or anything. I know it is supposed to be a kid show and it would be great if I could enjoy it as much as you do, but these kinds of thoughts come into my mind naturally as I'm watching and I can't help but feel annoyed. And I believe I have the right to express my thoughts here

point is you can enjoy it even if it doesnt makes 100% sense. It wasn't an argument, but if you want it to be one, Nero's whole presence is that fight so if you don't like that then idk.
Nov 15, 2020 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
Serlu said:
I think you're thinking too hard on seeing what is bad on each chapter. Try enjoying it and try to stop comparing everything to the original series, which was 20 years ago. Things have changed, the audience wants other things, etc. All the other digimon series were really monotonous, let them change.

The other series were not monotonous at all - Adventure, Frontier, Tamers, Savers (even tho I really don't like that one) and Xros Wars are all completely different from their execution and themes. Brainless action also doesn't really seem to be the thing the audience wants... at least that's what the score here on MAL and the general reception of this reboot shows. Even if you don't compare anything to the old sereis, the new one is still rushed with 0 character development so far.

The episode was okay. There were some things I liked and a lot of things I disliked (as always haha), but the animation was really good compared to previous episodes, so props for that :)

Pro:
- great animation
- DoneDevimon eating Tai was actually kinda terrifying
- Mugendramon kinda appeared

Contra:
- Patamon is Calumon now, so much for "change"
- I couldn't take DoneDevimon serious for the most part... he acts more like a clown than Piedmon did and not in a creepy way either - Devimon was way more threatening imo
- four perfect level Digimon failing to deal with baby levels... yes, the Digimon Garudamon, Lilymon, Zudomon & AtlurKabuterimon are fighting are the same level as Tokomon
- Yamato getting burned alive and falling from the sky without being injured at all (at least Tai actutally was hurt from the Miasma)
- the others are still dealing with the ship situation? Is this what their gonna do for the rest of the show while Tai, Matt & TK do all the actual stuff?

The fact we've already seen Wargreymon also makes me think the other children will not get X-Antibody upgrades for their perfect levels (if they'll ever become important again that is), but I still have some hope cause we only saw it as a light manifestation.
StormxNightmareNov 15, 2020 12:10 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Nov 15, 2020 12:31 PM

Jan 2016
StormxNightmare said:

- Yamato getting burned alive and falling from the sky without being injured at all

Let me just say that I find funny that you gave bnha an 8, a series where a villain breaks a mountain in half with the body of a kid and the kid can still stand up
Nov 15, 2020 12:46 PM
Aug 2011
StormxNightmare said:

what do you mean Calumon? He's Patamon allright
Nov 15, 2020 12:48 PM
Jun 2019
Serlu said:
StormxNightmare said:

- Yamato getting burned alive and falling from the sky without being injured at all

Let me just say that I find funny that you gave bnha an 8, a series where a villain breaks a mountain in half with the body of a kid and the kid can still stand up

Hello there, fellow enemy of the critical opinion squad! Good to see you here, I needed reinforcements. bnha indeed is a bit silly and has been very mediocre as of late, with animation as lazy or even lazier than this series lol. I like to call it "My Hero Naruto" because of how sluggishly the plot progresses. None of the characters even get decent development either. I feel like a lot of people who are super harsh on this show would give some of the things they like, such as bnha, a 2/10 if they approached them with the same level of criticism. The truth is that the original Digimon Adventure was not very good, and I guess they wished it took 20 episodes for Patamon to evolve like in the original so it would be more "meaningful" or something.
Nov 15, 2020 12:50 PM
Jun 2019
Artego32rus said:
StormxNightmare said:

what do you mean Calumon? He's Patamon allright

He's drawing this comparison because, similar to Calumon, Patamon seems to be helping evolve the digimon in times of need. It's honestly whatever. I couldn't care less about some similarity to another character in the franchise, it is a pretty superficial nitpick and does not ruin my enjoyment whatsoever. Would this person prefer it if Tokomon sat around doing nothing? Same goes for everyone else in this thread hating on the little guy protecting himself and Takeru from the big demon dude.
Nov 15, 2020 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
Serlu said:
StormxNightmare said:

I look for different things in different series :)
Bnha is a show about super heroes, they have special powers and I never expected them to go by normal physics.
Digimon has normal human characters. There's nothing special about them & previous seasons always showed us that they are vulnerabel like every normal child. You don't like comparisons with previous season tho, so I'll just repeat the part you left out in the quote: Tai got hurt by the Miasa, but Yamato doesn't get hurt at all? That doesn't really make any sense.

It's also kinda sad you looked at my Anime List just to find a score of a random anime to disprove the least important point I made by making a condescending statement.
If you like this reboot, all the power to you. But don't expect everyone to like it and for them to just shut up if they don't agree with you. The main reason why I dislike this new version is the way they treat everyone except for Tai & Matt by the way. So even if you would be able to somehow prove all my other complaints wrong, I'd still not be a fan.
StormxNightmareNov 15, 2020 1:03 PM

Nov 15, 2020 12:58 PM

Feb 2015
LambdaMan93 said:
Serlu said:

Hello there, fellow enemy of the critical opinion squad! Good to see you here, I needed reinforcements. bnha indeed is a bit silly and has been very mediocre as of late, with animation as lazy or even lazier than this series lol. I like to call it "My Hero Naruto" because of how sluggishly the plot progresses. None of the characters even get decent development either. I feel like a lot of people who are super harsh on this show would give some of the things they like, such as bnha, a 2/10 if they approached them with the same level of criticism. The truth is that the original Digimon Adventure was not very good, and I guess they wished it took 20 episodes for Patamon to evolve like in the original so it would be more "meaningful" or something.

Oh, it's you again.
I'm just gonna say that if you like action/battles > characters/plot in anime, then this reboot is definitely for you and that's not a bad thing at all. Digimon hasn't been like that tho, so don't be mad that people don't like this change. You didn't even like the og (it not being good isn't a truth btw, that's just your opinion, just like every criticism I have is just mine), so ofc you wouldn't have problems with how this was executed. Concerning bnha: I'm not really a fan of the show, never finished season 3. But it definitely does the things it tries to do better than this reboot (in my personal opinion).

Edit: Thanks for explaining the Calumon comparison to the other user btw! It's a minor complaint and I honestly just brought it up cause the user I quoted said the other Digimon series were monotonous and this one wasn't (that's why the "so much for change" was there).
StormxNightmareNov 15, 2020 1:08 PM

Nov 15, 2020 1:09 PM

Jan 2016
StormxNightmare said:
Serlu said:

I look for different things in different series :)
Bnha is a show about super heroes, they have special powers and I never expected them to go by normal physics.
Digimon has normal human characters. There's nothing special about them & previous seasons always showed us that they are vulnerabel like every normal child. You don't like comparisons with previous season tho, so I'll just repeat the part you left out in the quote: Tai got hurt by the Miasa, but Yamato doesn't get hurt at all? That doesn't really make any sense.

It's also kinda sad you looked at my Anime List just to find a score of a random anime to disprove the least important point I made by making a condescending statement.
If you like this reboot, all the power to you. But don't expect everyone to like it and for them to just shut up if they don't agree with you. The main reason why I dislike this new version is the way they treat everyone except for Tai & Matt by the way. So even if you would be able to somehow prove all my other complaints wrong, I'd still not be a fan.

Matt stays on the floor for half the chapter and he can't even move to dodge, gabumon had to move him lol
Nov 15, 2020 1:11 PM
Jun 2019
I have my own things to say about this episode, but first I would like to voice my own opinions and facts in response to Storm, as he says some very interesting things that I want to talk about:

StormxNightmare said:
Serlu said:

The other series were not monotonous at all - Adventure, Frontier, Tamers, Savers (even tho I really don't like that one) and Xros Wars are all completely different from their execution and themes. Brainless action also doesn't really seem to be the thing the audience wants... at least that's what the score here on MAL and the general reception of this reboot shows. Even if you don't compare anything to the old sereis, the new one is still rushed with 0 character development so far.

The other series were not monotonous at all? I can't speak for anything past Savers, but let's introspect a little, at least where I think the franchise is egregious with this problem: Adventure (1) and Frontier.

In Adventure, during the Devimon arc, every single episode was essentially a telegraphed and shoehorned buildup to the "next" team member's digimon getting its champion evolution. There was very little tension because we knew as soon as the evolution happened, the problem would be solved. This series also repeated this pattern for a bit, but then got rid of it. The other thing about that series is that every digivolution sequence took up over a minute (!) of time to resolve. The amount of time this wasted was inexcusable, and often this would happen several times per episode. Lastly, the poor budget forced them to reuse animations over and over. It was tiresome to see the exact same attack be executed in the exact same way every single battle. This is monotonous. You are saying it was not monotonous at all, which I think is blatantly wrong. It isn't even a matter of opinion. It is a fact they literally reuse the same animations and long evolution sequences several times, and reuse the exact same "deus ex machina" "character spotlight" technique to solve consequent episodes' boss monsters.

In Frontier, this was mainly near the end of the series. However, as this was about 11 episodes of the same thing repeated over and over again, I don't think it is arguable to say this was not monotonous. It was incredibly bad and boring to see the kids fail against those two lame nerds over and over, while shelving the rest of the cast.

StormxNightmare said:

- I couldn't take DoneDevimon serious for the most part... he acts more like a clown than Piedmon did and not in a creepy way either - Devimon was way more threatening imo

This guy was supposed to be a mindless being. I compare it to Zant in Twilight Princess. He first seems very grim and serious, but when you fight him he becomes a sort of clown. Honestly, I think the effect if done well can be quite unnerving, creepy, and effective. In this episode, I don't think that was achieved, however the way he acted was understandable since, as Tokomon said, he was "mindless". So I kind of agree here a bit, but not all the way.

StormxNightmare said:

- four perfect level Digimon failing to deal with baby levels... yes, the Digimon Garudamon, Lilymon, Zudomon & AtlurKabuterimon are fighting are the same level as Tokomon

Would you rather them sweep away the threat immediately and be done with it? It's fascinating to me that these baby digimon have been putting up a fight together. We don't know - perhaps these baby algomon in large numbers sort of "power" up. I think this sets us up for interesting plot points and conflicts later on.

StormxNightmare said:

- Yamato getting burned alive and falling from the sky without being injured at all (at least Tai actutally was hurt from the Miasma)

I think that the immediate effect as a sort of "shocker" was very very good here. I was actually really concerned that Matt was dead or at least, nearly dead. I do agree that having characters survive everything sort of removes some of the ability to suspend our belief, however many other shows have sort of "invincible" main characters as well. I think that as long as you're able to suspend it in the "moment" something like this happens, it probably got the job done. However yeah, I do wish that yamato at least was injured or something. Same for Tai getting eaten alive, which really made me go ":O". If he died that would have been pretty brutal and huge. I don't know if it would have been great overall in the long run, but it definitely would have had a ton of impact.

StormxNightmare said:

- the others are still dealing with the ship situation? Is this what their gonna do for the rest of the show while Tai, Matt & TK do all the actual stuff?

From how the show has been progressing so far, I would expect this to resolve either the next episode, or the one after that. i feel like some sort of "recall' of the algomon might occur.

StormxNightmare said:

The fact we've already seen Wargreymon also makes me think the other children will not get X-Antibody upgrades for their perfect levels (if they'll ever become important again that is), but I still have some hope cause we only saw it as a light manifestation.

I probably have an incredibly unpopular opinion here, but I am of the very, very strong opinion that the fewer "main" characters we have, the better. I don't really care about the entire cast getting the exact same treatment - if they did, we would be 100 episodes in. I think about other anime I have watched in the past and the character to development ratio: Hunter x Hunter had few main characters and a lot of interesting plot and development. Madoka Magica as well (the sequel completely and utterly ruined this balance). I feel that if this series spread things out as much as the original (which STILL focused mainly on Tai and Matt btw), it would suffer for it.

There's my rebuttal I guess, more just a discussion than outright argument. It was mainly your bit about things not getting repetitive in the other series that bothered me because that is just wrong.
LambdaMan93Nov 15, 2020 1:33 PM
Nov 15, 2020 1:13 PM

Feb 2015
@Serlu
Didn't know that being completely covered by fire and falling from that high up only made you unconscious.
But fine, I don't want to argue about that little nitpick anymore. Guess I'll change my complaint to "I wish the consequences Matt faced from being engulved in flames and falling from the sky would have been burns and broken bones, because Taichi also got burned when he was touched by the acid like miasma." Or even better, don't let your human character get hit by smth that crazy.

Nov 15, 2020 1:17 PM

Jan 2016
StormxNightmare said:
@Serlu
Didn't know that being completely covered by fire and falling from that high up only made you unconscious.
But fine, I don't want to argue about that little nitpick anymore. Guess I'll change my complaint to "I wish the consequences Matt faced from being engulved in flames and falling from the sky would have been burns and broken bones, because Taichi also got burned when he was touched by the acid like miasma." Or even better, don't let your human character get hit by smth that crazy.

they're digital. Why do you think fire or gravity works the same way there?
Then again, this happen on literally every shounen ever.
Nov 15, 2020 1:18 PM
Jun 2019
@StormxNightmare

I care very, very much about character development actually. I don't get why you got that impression. Perhaps my massive wall of text discussing your criticism will clear this up. My favorite shows all have a lot of very "deep" character development. That's why I didn't like the original series much, because what development happens is very little, spread across all characters. I think the only thing that was a big deal was Taichi growing courageous when realizing the digital world was dangerous and going through the "firewall" anyway. I also think Gatomon's personal story was bizarrely really well done and touching, and don't really get why they could not have done more for the others like that. I feel like Tamers did the best job at character development with masterful plot, and even made me cry at certain points. It was very emotive and well executed. Also note the smaller cast as well. I don't think that's any coincidence lol.

I feel that, in comparison, this show does a much better job of being an action-packed digimon adventure than the original. That's why I prefer it, in addition to the other stuff I said earlier.

Also, no problem for the Calumon explanation. That character made me smile every time it was on screen.
LambdaMan93Nov 15, 2020 1:25 PM
Nov 15, 2020 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
First of all: Thank you so much for staying civil and calm and making actual counter arguments! :)
After reading everything you've written, I'm pretty sure I found the reason why we both have such contrary opinions on this reboot.

LambdaMan93 said:
The other series were not monotonous at all? I can't speak for anything past Savers, but let's introspect a little, at least where I think the franchise is egregious with this problem: Adventure (1) and Frontier.

In Adventure, during the Devimon arc, every single episode was essentially a telegraphed and shoehorned buildup to the "next" team member's digimon getting its champion evolution. There was very little tension because we knew as soon as the evolution happened, the problem would be solved. This series also repeated this pattern for a bit, but then got rid of it. The other thing about that series is that every digivolution sequence took up over a minute (!) of time to resolve. The amount of time this wasted was inexcusable, and often this would happen several times per episode. Lastly, the poor budget forced them to reuse animations over and over. It was tiresome to see the exact same attack be executed in the exact same way every single battle. This is monotonous. You are saying it was not monotonous at all, which I think is blatantly wrong. It isn't even a matter of opinion. It is a fact they literally reuse the same animations and long evolution sequences several times, and reuse the exact same "deus ex machina" "character spotlight" technique to solve consequent episodes' boss monsters.

In Frontier, this was mainly near the end of the series. However, as this was about 11 episodes of the same thing repeated over and over again, I don't think it is arguable to say this was not monotonous. It was incredibly bad and boring to see the kids fail against those two lame nerds over and over, while shelving the rest of the cast.

Something I didn't take into consideration when I talked about the shows being monotonous was the animation. You're completely right about a lot of them being reused constantly, same goes for the digivolution sequences - those are both points I'll definitely agree with (even tho I liked the digivolution sequences haha). I do not really agree with the >"next" team member's digimon getting its champion evolution< point tho, cause the reboot has been worse than the og with this in my opinion. Here we don't only have the champions, but also the perfect levels immediatly after one another without a break. I liked the way the og took some time after the champion episodes.
I was only really refering to the plot & characters in my original response. After your answer I can definitely see how the previous seasons seemed monotonous on a visual level.

LambdaMan93 said:
This guy was supposed to be a mindless being. I compare it to Zant in Twilight Princess. He first seems very grim and serious, but when you fight him he becomes a sort of clown. Honestly, I think the effect if done well can be quite unnerving, creepy, and effective. In this episode, I don't think that was achieved, however the way he acted was understandable since, as Tokomon said, he was "mindless". So I kind of agree here a bit, but not all the way.

Yeah, I think the execution was the problem here too. We actually kinda agree on most of this :)

LambdaMan93 said:
Would you rather them sweep away the threat immediately and be done with it? It's fascinating to me that these baby digimon have been putting up a fight together. We don't know - perhaps these baby algomon in large numbers sort of "power" up. I think this sets us up for interesting plot points and conflicts later on.

The reason I have a problem with this is simply because the reboot has been constantly putting the other kids down and it really sucks to see their Ultimate levels struggle against babies (and not even new ones, Algomon has been beaten by Agumon & Gabumon in the first three episodes in all its stages). At least let them Digivolve to their champion forms, that would be way more believable and wouldn't have to end in the heroes sweeping them away immediatly.

LambdaMan93 said:
I think that the immediate effect as a sort of "shocker" was very very good here. I was actually really concerned that Matt was dead or at least, nearly dead. I do agree that having characters survive everything sort of removes some of the ability to suspend our belief, however many other shows have sort of "invincible" main characters as well. I think that as long as you're able to suspend it in the "moment" something like this happens, it probably got the job done. However yeah, I do wish that yamato at least was injured or something. Same for Tai getting eaten alive.

Fair enough :)
Guess it just didn't work on me that well, cause the injuries Matt had weren't really lining up with the attack that hit him imo.

LambdaMan93 said:
From how the show has been progressing so far, I would expect this to resolve either the next episode, or the one after that. i feel like some sort of "recall' of the algomon might occur.

Let's hope for the best!

LambdaMan93 said:
I probably have an incredibly unpopular opinion here, but I am of the very, very strong opinion that the fewer "main" characters we have, the better. I don't really care about the entire cast getting the exact same treatment - if they did, we would be 100 episodes in. I think about other anime I have watched in the past and the character to development ratio: Hunter x Hunter had few main characters and a lot of interesting plot and development. Madoka Magica as well (the sequel completely and utterly ruined this). I feel that if this series spread things out as much as the original (which STILL focused mainly on Tai and Matt btw), it would suffer for it.

And this is probably the reason why our opinions differ that greatly :D
I'm the exact oppisite: I love many Main characters (if done right) and especially the way og Adventure handled them. Yes, Tai & Matt were the focus in og Adventure too, but I honestly wouldn't say "mainly", cause it was balanced better even after they were the only ones to reach the ultimate level.
StormxNightmareNov 15, 2020 1:41 PM

Nov 15, 2020 2:28 PM

Mar 2008
Forgething that this is a (posible) rebot of the series.

it was great animation for a fight. (between the limits of the PG of the series)

Damn Patamon you must give us a big explanation of what the hell is happening.
Nov 15, 2020 3:39 PM

May 2012
For a second I thought dark Metalgreymon is going to turn into Skullgreymon. But he just turned into a berserk version of himself. Still, a dark episode despite DoneDevimon got beaten. I wonder what happens next, hope it's not another boss battle.

Nov 15, 2020 4:33 PM

Apr 2011
I thought MetalGreymon was going to Dark Digivolve into BlackWarGreymon but hey - I like that it kind of tied in why Mugendramon is in Agumon's evolution sequence. And it makes me think we won't see the Dark Masters.

I don't know how I feel about the point that Patamon is this season's equivalent of Callumon. It's more like a "you're embracing the darkness and as a 'holy' Digimon I can't let that happen" kind of thing. imo it still doesn't make sense because purifying things seems more in line with Hikari's Crest?

And lastly, I really hope ep 25 does not introduce another big bad without properly explaining Devimon and his relationship to Patamon/Angemon. This series has done nothing to tell us they know proper pacing but I still have a tiny bit of hope.
Nov 15, 2020 4:39 PM
Jul 2016
AcD4c said:
Good episode. The animation was so good I thought Wargreymon was going to use great tornado like he did to Metalseadramon at Digimon Adventure. You made me dream, Toei.

But I keep asking myself why the kids keep running straight to the battle along with their digimon. Ok, Taichi has the courage crest. But that's not courage, it's just stupid. But no problem, Yamato works out every day and those two attacks were nothing. The kids these days man... you know, they're different.

And man, that sacred power is OP as fuck. Tokomon, a baby digimon holding a final stage digimon attack for a while in a sacred bubble.

rasterman7 said:
lkevsan said:

I agree, the digivolutions make no sense from time to time or are really confusing to me at the very least. Like, how did Tokomon protect Takeru from a mega digimon's attack? Literal plot armor? Where did Donedevimon come from? And the miasma evolution? Was it ever established it can do that? What do any of the emblems even mean to anyone who hasn't watched the original series? How many functions do the digivices actually have?

These questions probably come from the pacing being so fast that there's no buildup to pretty much anything that happens on screen or no time to explain it. That makes the character development for the most part not fit the many tense moments these series could have had but just doesn't.

All in all, this episode really left me wondering as to what to expect in the future, though my hopes are quite low at this point.

Well said. I'm just going to assume everyone in-universe knows the role of chests, what digivices are capable of, etc, and this anime's main audience just doesn't deserve to know since they're just "dumb kids". Unfortunate, really.
Nov 15, 2020 5:39 PM
Nov 2015
StormxNightmare said:
[

OMG exactly !!!! No one is going to Care that the rest of the kids get that same scene all over again, if they didnt have any budget to animate all choosen kids then do this remake , was the point... Leave them in a bench reacting to some ship withouth even move an inch... OMG that Tamayo being burn live like 1 meter away was so triggering... I know is a kids show but come on, then take the time to explain they dont feel pain or something cuz What are they know superhuman ?
Nov 15, 2020 7:37 PM

Dec 2016
Lmao I've never complained about the general plot armor in Digimon (because it's a kids show so it doesn't really matter much) but seeing Yamato being burnt and then hit like that onto the ground and not even a scratch I think it's just too much

Other than that, despite everything else, in general I found this episode one of the most entertaining, exciting and intense so far
Nov 15, 2020 9:43 PM

Mar 2018
Ngl, this is probably the best episode of the reboot up until now if I don't try to nitpick. I was legit disturbed by DoneDevimon and berserking Mugendramon. Both Mugen and WarGreymon don't seem like official evolutions because they are in ghost-like state (?) so I think Agumon can't evolve to them at will yet, which is a good point. Mugendramon is also missing his trademark cannons to further prove this. He is not a mindless Digimon by default so I think Agumon will get this evolution officially by overcoming some sort of trial. The downside is, it's pretty much confirmed that we won't see Dark Masters anymore in this reboot, or at least Mugendramon won't be one if we do see them.

Now nitpick time:

- It's a shame DoneDevimon is "done" like that with an OHKO from ghost WarGreymon when they should've made an epic fight between two of them for like, one episode long.

- Holy Digimon or whatever, a baby Digimon making a shield that even a Mega Digimon can't break shouldn't even be possible.

- Git gud with Koushiro and other kids' "Our War Game" plot (again). Honestly, this is getting super repetitive. Okay, we get it already. Boats will clash and it's bad hurr durr. We have time limit hurr durr. Now hurry up and solve this problem which was shoehorned in to give them some screentime (still sidelined tho) and come to Digital World again already to do something productive.

- This:
Metallica_Nero said:
why the hell did Weregarurumon steps on these things he shoots when can just simply fly directly lol There are many things here that don't make any sense but are just here because they look cool
Ikr? I got a chuckle when he did that shit.

- And finally, like others said above, invincible Yamato.

Serlu said:
they're digital. Why do you think fire or gravity works the same way there? Then again, this happen on literally every shounen ever.
That question can also be flipped and asked against you tho? Just because it's digital, why do you think fire or gravity won't work the same here. They have ground to stand on. They're not floating like Gomamon in the network. They have water bodies and they swim in there, not run over it like in Naruto. They have nukes and they explode and destroy terrains. They use fireballs to attack others in means of damaging them, not heal them. They have trees that can be cut down to make a raft. They have physical bodies that can go hungry and die when they're killed. All physics concepts are working as usual and being digital only makes the kids 10x durable more than normal? Does that make sense? It's an attack that made WereGarurumon, an Ultimate, took damage to the point it devolved to Gabumon (hell, in this reboot where they look super tough and don't devolve easily), Yamato leaving unscathed doesn't have any excuse unless you're gonna say he is tougher than WereGarurumon lol. And yes, this happens in literally every shounen and I'm annoyed by it equally, not only DA reboot if you're thinking to check my list and point out "you gave this show 10/10 even tho blah blah blah" etc. (That's not a very productive way to start a debate btw.)

Inb4 you say I'm hating on reboot, err... well, yes I did hate it. Especially in episode 18 where they used Omegamon asspull for 2nd time but I'll admit this Devimon arc is looking a lot better. Sure, there were nitpicks like above that I found hard to swallow but they are honestly "finding faults" at best. To notify this show has glaring writing flaws and can only cater to a specific type of audience (like newcomers to the franchise or people who shut down their brains to enjoy any kind of show). I'm not gonna increase my overall score yet but this episode alone deserves 4/5 tbh. But I'm not still gonna say this reboot is on par with the original like that one other thread.

And try to refrain saying "Don't compare this reboot to the original". We will. That's what Toei wanted us to do when they tried to "reboot" it with old characters when they can just use an entirely new cast. But no, they baited us back with nostalgia into thinking we'll get another "Digimon Adventure". We didn't. So we complain. It's simple. Because this is basically false advertising in a way.

Nov 15, 2020 10:31 PM

Jan 2016
Renkini said:
Ngl, this is probably the best episode of the reboot up until now if I don't try to nitpick. I was legit disturbed by DoneDevimon and berserking Mugendramon. Both Mugen and WarGreymon don't seem like official evolutions because they are in ghost-like state (?) so I think Agumon can't evolve to them at will yet, which is a good point. Mugendramon is also missing his trademark cannons to further prove this. He is not a mindless Digimon by default so I think Agumon will get this evolution officially by overcoming some sort of trial. The downside is, it's pretty much confirmed that we won't see Dark Masters anymore in this reboot, or at least Mugendramon won't be one if we do see them.

Now nitpick time:

- It's a shame DoneDevimon is "done" like that with an OHKO from ghost WarGreymon when they should've made an epic fight between two of them for like, one episode long.

- Holy Digimon or whatever, a baby Digimon making a shield that even a Mega Digimon can't break shouldn't even be possible.

- Git gud with Koushiro and other kids' "Our War Game" plot (again). Honestly, this is getting super repetitive. Okay, we get it already. Boats will clash and it's bad hurr durr. We have time limit hurr durr. Now hurry up and solve this problem which was shoehorned in to give them some screentime (still sidelined tho) and come to Digital World again already to do something productive.

- This:
Metallica_Nero said:
why the hell did Weregarurumon steps on these things he shoots when can just simply fly directly lol There are many things here that don't make any sense but are just here because they look cool
Ikr? I got a chuckle when he did that shit.

- And finally, like others said above, invincible Yamato.

Serlu said:
they're digital. Why do you think fire or gravity works the same way there? Then again, this happen on literally every shounen ever.
That question can also be flipped and asked against you tho? Just because it's digital, why do you think fire or gravity won't work the same here. They have ground to stand on. They're not floating like Gomamon in the network. They have water bodies and they swim in there, not run over it like in Naruto. They have nukes and they explode and destroy terrains. They use fireballs to attack others in means of damaging them, not heal them. They have trees that can be cut down to make a raft. They have physical bodies that can go hungry and die when they're killed. All physics concepts are working as usual and being digital only makes the kids 10x durable more than normal? Does that make sense? It's an attack that made WereGarurumon, an Ultimate, took damage to the point it devolved to Gabumon (hell, in this reboot where they look super tough and don't devolve easily), Yamato leaving unscathed doesn't have any excuse unless you're gonna say he is tougher than WereGarurumon lol. And yes, this happens in literally every shounen and I'm annoyed by it equally, not only DA reboot if you're thinking to check my list and point out "you gave this show 10/10 even tho blah blah blah" etc. (That's not a very productive way to start a debate btw.)

Inb4 you say I'm hating on reboot, err... well, yes I did hate it. Especially in episode 18 where they used Omegamon asspull for 2nd time but I'll admit this Devimon arc is looking a lot better. Sure, there were nitpicks like above that I found hard to swallow but they are honestly "finding faults" at best. To notify this show has glaring writing flaws and can only cater to a specific type of audience (like newcomers to the franchise or people who shut down their brains to enjoy any kind of show). I'm not gonna increase my overall score yet but this episode alone deserves 4/5 tbh. But I'm not still gonna say this reboot is on par with the original like that one other thread.

And try to refrain saying "Don't compare this reboot to the original". We will. That's what Toei wanted us to do when they tried to "reboot" it with old characters when they can just use an entirely new cast. But no, they baited us back with nostalgia into thinking we'll get another "Digimon Adventure". We didn't. So we complain. It's simple. Because this is basically false advertising in a way.

damn you really took the bait
Nov 15, 2020 11:17 PM

Mar 2018
Serlu said:

Aww, shucks. You got me. *Yawn* Is this also your fake account? https://myanimelist.net/profile/Masternap

Nov 15, 2020 11:46 PM

Jul 2012
Devimon evolved into mega form oh no oh shit, whatever will we do? it's not like we reached DNA evolution twice already...
Nov 16, 2020 12:21 AM

Mar 2015
Renkini said:
Serlu said:

Aww, shucks. You got me. *Yawn* Is this also your fake account? https://myanimelist.net/profile/Masternap

This Serlu guy doesn't even have any arguments. He can't even give proper answers to people who repond to him.
Nov 16, 2020 1:37 AM

Jan 2020
4 very good episodes don't save 20 mediocre, but if it keeps being as interesting as how it has become lately, it will carry the slow beginning of the show with no doubt. Scriptwriting could have been better tho, but the fight sequence was epic af and Wargreymon appearence gave me a little fangirl shock ngl.

I forgot to mention the scene where Yamato and Weregarurumon were thrown to the ground by Donedevimon....like seriously, the plot armor for Yamato was a big ROFL for me haha
5ReinheitNov 16, 2020 1:45 AM
Nov 16, 2020 7:17 AM

Jan 2016
Guifoliveiraa said:
Renkini said:

This Serlu guy doesn't even have any arguments. He can't even give proper answers to people who repond to him.

I'm not even try to argue why would I give arguments? Sorry but I'm not the kind of guy who wastes his life writing an entire wall of text about how I can't have fun after watching every episode.
Nov 16, 2020 12:51 PM

Sep 2013

Anyone else get flashbacks to this scene?

Tamers did the "dark evolution" plot twist a lot better, but it was good here too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2020 2:55 PM
Feb 2020
Still annoyed by Takaru's subbers
So we saw Agumon's Mega, and almost his dark form, Railgun Metal Greymon and Weregarurutenchi are accessable now

Unlike other shows, there's just no tension here
Nov 16, 2020 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
I was really terrified by DoneDevimon eating Taichi, I didn't expected that o_O
Nov 17, 2020 5:47 AM

May 2015
I don't know, forced, lame outcome to this arc, to be honest, besides the action and visuals it was pretty shallow, but I hope the suspense they're building around Wargreymon and the ultimate digimons pays off. It was somewhat nice to see him and Mugendramon too, though, but still a disappointment nonetheless.
Nov 17, 2020 8:12 AM

Dec 2010
Best part definitely when Wargreymon showed up at the end. I was waiting since the start for him to appear since he is probably my favorite Digimon.
Nov 19, 2020 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was really cool.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2020

43 by KursedArcana »»
Oct 18, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 67 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

51 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 66 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

24 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 65 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

23 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 9:12 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 64 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

23 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 11, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.