Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2020 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, we got an episode of fighting but the not usual magic kind. I guess Shingo should be more wary about action combat and being familiar with that as well in the show.

Good thing he has the support of his friends. Let this be a lesson for Shingo that he can't rely on magic too much in their world.
May 14, 2020 6:24 AM
Dec 2017
This episode had some weird pacing and directing cuts. Too bad that show is not getting better.
May 14, 2020 6:25 AM

Feb 2019
“The only reason someone would marry us is to be your relative” lmao come on guys, you have more qualities than that

Always nice to see my boy Er get some shine. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Well’s natural talent didn’t get him further than Er with his determination to prove himself

Another really good episode, it’s cool to see side characters get some growth and development as well as seeing Well actually lose and have to learn from it. Loving the character development and world building here.
May 14, 2020 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
Kitchen Knife Division? He does know how to prepare some Japanese staple food I credit him that much.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 14, 2020 7:43 AM
Pen

Mar 2018
12 Min of build-up hoping he last more than 1 min and well got KO in 1-second NGL that was funny

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 14, 2020 7:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wtf he is so bad, all that training for nothing xD pretty useless episode because of this
May 14, 2020 8:07 AM

Mar 2019
Hahah he got one shot, what a powerful hero
The blond guy is pretty useless I wouldn't mind if he left the party
May 14, 2020 9:04 AM
Sep 2015
If Er is so afraid of being cut out of the group, why he doesn't make himself Well's concubine like other members?
May 14, 2020 9:08 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty funny episode and lol Well sux at sword fight. Elisse was adorable when she tried to do some training.
phantomfandom said:
If Er is so afraid of being cut out of the group, why he doesn't make himself Well's concubine like other members?

Good question ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 14, 2020 9:37 AM

Mar 2018
Okay, so this episode was a little better than the previous one, not all there regarding quality but still better somehow.
Good to see the side characters getting some attention. Time to stop being an adventurer , Well. Get by as a cook, fits you better because that bento was cute.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
May 14, 2020 10:23 AM

Dec 2015
Actually a pretty good episode. When I thought Erwin is only good for comedy they started to give him some serious moments. The way they handled the tournament was as bad as the fights in the previous episode though.

From how I understood it they just tskipped the final round. (And we can guess that the older vets won but still a good job bo make it into finals for Erwin.) Previous episode the dragon fight was lame and the other fight were monsters suppossedly attacked ... just did not get shown at all. :D

Roderich guy (the one with the spear) seems interesting. With that skill + also knowledge in law and accounting ... I'd hire him as personal advisor (I mean ... the main is making lots of money and he could to trading and stuff with) and bodyguard.
May 14, 2020 12:09 PM
Jan 2017
I have to give props to this episode for taking the main characters out of their comfort zones and getting them to learn something completely new. Well and his friends have to partake in a tournament where magic is prohibited and, against TV conventions, they lose the tournament. Well himself is eliminated in his very first match, against the reigning champion, no less.

This episode was also a fine display of character development for Er, who tries to pull his weight as the sole non-wizard of his team. He struggles against his own securities because he doesn't want to be a burden to his team and gets inspired to his best because he realizes his own friends are on the same position as he is.

All in all, this was a good episode. For now, The 8th son? Are you kidding me? is playing its cards right by focusing on character development and keeping things on a small scale in order to facilitate emotional investment from the viewers. This show will not rewrite the book on isekai anime but I can at least enjoy it as harmless and light-hearted escapism.
May 14, 2020 12:43 PM

May 2018
So, in the end , none of Well's lackeys won.......................................
May 14, 2020 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
The hero and his friends lost, nice. At least they won a few matches, unlike Well.

Elise is too cute <3. GANBARE!
May 14, 2020 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
Some more nice team building to be had. And the blonde kid I think can finally stop worrying about being kicked by the group. He put in some serious effort with his training. Although we didnt see the fight it looks like the champion is now training him personally! Everyone in the party of the future now has highly skilled mentors. Hope to see more party antics and rest of show not just be a training montage. I suspect we dont have long left!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
May 14, 2020 1:44 PM

Aug 2013
Elise was too cute when she was training. Even she wants to get stronger.

And Well/Shingo lost within a second.

May 14, 2020 2:18 PM

Aug 2016
Ugh ok just a quick post but wtf. Why did they skip the last fight like that? And than it just sorta ends? The producers are just rushing things
May 14, 2020 2:54 PM

Jul 2017
A tournament, huh. At least everyone had their fair share of training though, because with the use of magic forbidden, it's only up to physicals to do the job.

Wendelin and his party aren't faring so well though, well-versed in magic but useless in physics, so a lil training, they truly needed it.

Tournament day, and Shingo's 3 second elimination was a slap to the face. At least the others (Elise, Erwin and Iina) did hold up their bit of game to last more than a single match.

The episode that felt the least out of everything so far, carcassed though.
May 14, 2020 3:05 PM

Apr 2015
That episode was much better than the other one. The pace was not so rushed, and it was a great opportunity to develop the other members of Well's party.

I also liked the fact that this time Well and his team lost the match because they are still teenagers. They have a long way to go if they want to be great adventures
May 14, 2020 6:19 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Boring, boring, boring. Luckily I didn't dropped this yet.
May 14, 2020 6:28 PM
Jul 2018
It's surprising that a boy with green hair is pretty good at it.
May 14, 2020 9:11 PM

Sep 2015
it keeps getting worse, i cant even watch it while high anymore

it would be really a challenge to no drop it in the next couple of episodes
May 15, 2020 12:48 AM
May 2018
KhayalCorp88 said:
Boring, boring, boring. Luckily I didn't dropped this yet.

well this was the last straw for me, this episode was a new low = dropped
May 15, 2020 1:56 AM

Mar 2014
Another weird editing choice, they just completely skipped the last fight. I was genuinely confused on what happened. Wasn't sure if they flashed forward or backward. Really bad cut there.

Well getting set up with the champion in the first round was pretty unfortunate, but at least he didn't have a chance to show off his sword "skills" to the crowd

I really like how Well kept his love for Japanese cuisine even after getting isekai'd. The details with how he still uses chopsticks to eat and how he introduced Japanese snacks like those seaweed sheets (and the bento boxes he made to motivate the others)
May 15, 2020 5:09 AM

Jan 2014
Actual decent episode this week. Mainly because the focus wasn't on the boring MC.
May 15, 2020 1:18 PM

Nov 2013
i like how Elise, the all powerful saint healer, is worried about not being strong enough for a beginner's party :D was fun to see her and Well training, hopefully they will be better by next episode :v

the fights were funny, Well just got one shot by the champion, and Iise losing to the spear guy from before

i liked the lunch box, great idea , and the guy just ate himself and left HAHA
for someone who was not even going to participate, he actually tried really hard
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
May 15, 2020 1:59 PM

Feb 2020
tournament arc.

well got beat disappointingly fast.

I was also hoping for better fights scenes.

Kyoto Animation rocks
May 15, 2020 3:30 PM

Aug 2018
Similar to the 6th episode, this one was disappointing. We've been teased by a sort of epic fight/brawl. Well being totally defeated was acceptable but then I just expected a decent Warren VS Er, for a minute at last. But no, that part was simply skipped (I ignore if it was part of the original story) and at the end we didn't see a shit.
May 15, 2020 7:47 PM
May 2016
So a bunch of 13 years old kids who are specialized in magic self-buffs, are ranking pretty high in an honor tournament (that literally put them
In a disadvantage since it’s completely based of physical strength and skill)that I assume has most of the skilled knights, mercenaries, etc, competing in it.damn looks like this kingdom‘s future Is very dim just based on how weak it’s people are to be beaten by kids who aren’t even specialized in pure physical strength.
May 16, 2020 12:37 AM

Jan 2009
Surprised to see how much screen time they used for more or less footnote event, when they skipped so much important info before. I thought they would show whole tournament in 5 min.

MC needed to be in sword division as it's tradition for all nobles to join at least once in lifetime usually just after becoming adult (MC is below average in sword but not useless(he doesn't train because he knows his talent for swordsmanship is poor), great in archery and monster in magic).
His brothers with post of guard could only hope for commoner or merchant wife without MC influence. But at end they inherit knight noble house by being taken in as groom. (yes all 3 brothers have same noble title as their father, now)

Er is quite talented in swordsmanship otherwise he wouldn't be top class in adventuring school.

@Luthandorius about Roderich re-watch first episode first few minutes.
May 16, 2020 1:35 AM

Dec 2015
jack4s said:
@Luthandorius about Roderich re-watch first episode first few minutes.
Oh I see. Thanks for reminding about that. I did re-watch now. I somehow remembered Erwin talking to the main (instead of Roderich) at the beginning though. Don't know why. Maybe because it was a male and Erwin was the only important male introduced to far.
May 16, 2020 6:09 AM

Jan 2015
Can someone tell me how to enjoy this show?? I have no idea here. I shut my brain and tried to watch it.
True embodiment of "Our expectations were low but holy shit"
I just don't know why good shows have to be delayed while things like this keep running : C
Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Jun 19, 2020 2:52 PM

May 2010
I am guessing Warren won.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 19, 2020 7:44 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Tournament arc. Its boring to be honest. No good thing happen. Elise become a party member, its obvious, no doubt. The whole tournament event was shit afterall. Only that maniac spear with green hair that satisfied me more or less. Atleast now they would really train hard to become the real adventurer. Thats it for this episode.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 20, 2020 2:20 AM

Jan 2015
Didn't think they would adapt an interlude chapter, not even a real chapter. Always thought that the tournament is not needed, seeing how it never even once gets referenced again in the later events. And we've missed some other better chapter that could've been adapted, like... an angry duke's son who wants Elise as his 15th wife and challenges Wend to a duel and then summons an ancient dragon, making it a 3rd dragon that Wend kills.

It wasn't mentioned all that well before but Er is actually a pretty decent swordsman, it's not really a surprise he went this far into the tournament, however in the novel his motif for entering the tournament was to get as far as possible, knowing he won't beat his future teacher. I now can kinda see how adaptation are made, the trope of: " I want to win no matter what" is really old, while author avoided that trope, showing his realisitc take on the situation, knowing he won't be able to win, else settling for just finishing as high as possible. But the anime creators really pushed this trope of " i want to win no matter what". Really goes to show how anime creators think.

Never remembered Er EVER being concerned over being kicked from the team and it's really easy to spot that it's anime original, given that never even once did they came back to it in later episodes...
Really like that the guy who beat him ended up being his sword teacher, now that's the best teacher to have...but again, we never ever are gonna come back to him, so he is kinda irrelevant, making you question the need of this episode even more...

As far as Wend losing right away goes... it was the same in the novel and a bunch of readers were upset over the whole need of the tournament if you aren't gonna show the fights, the author doesn't really like to show lengthed fights, even the battles with dragons were all 2 shots, and the later zombie subjugation too. Also makes you understand reasoning for short battles in animes, or why some protagonists are very overpowered. All because it makes it easier to not show the full fight, but rather just make him one shot, so it's easier for you, i can understand that... Then it comes down to adaptation and staff desire to expand on the fights, and they are like: "Eh? why bother..." so we have what we have.

Elise pulling up was soooo cute <3 one advantage over reading the novel haha. And you can't really see her cuteness, beauty in a bunch of letters.

Btw Armstrong is supposed to train Wend and Louise for like several years, until they turn 15, and Louise get very proficeint with magic herself and Wend gets physical training (which he will never use in the future haha), the training is rough, the Er's training is also about this long, in ep 8 they are already gonna be 15 and will move onward their adventure goal. Now that i think about it, what's the point of making them attend magical academy which was supposed to prepare them for adventuring if you are never gonna use it in the future...

winddevil1 said:
i like how Elise, the all powerful saint healer, is worried about not being strong enough for a beginner's party :D was fun to see her and Well training, hopefully they will be better by next episode :v

the fights were funny, Well just got one shot by the champion, and Iise losing to the spear guy from before

i liked the lunch box, great idea , and the guy just ate himself and left HAHA
for someone who was not even going to participate, he actually tried really hard

Cause Elise is a cutie ^^ it was so cute of her to hang and try to do pull ups haha, too bad she didn't have more moments like this, but in the novel she never was the center figure of this tournament, given that she doesn't get to participate... btw anime did a way better job at portraying her than novel lol. Like giving her more cute moments, that's nice...

Of course Ina lost, Rhoderich is OP

Lunch box, right lol, really heartwarming, even saved it on my phone (but that's because it was that cute...)
Jul 24, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2015
So far for Well the swordmaster... his training was tough but it all amounted to getting oneshotted in the first round....good thing he is a top tier magician.

Erwin should have followed the example of the the other two girls and also become a concubine to secure his position ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 20, 2022 6:10 PM
Jun 2022
So disappointing. The entire buildup was for the competition, but neither the main character or the side characters were shown in any good fights.
Sep 15, 2022 11:49 PM

Mar 2020
that's when you realize it's not Rudeus!!! ooooohh no not at all xD
May 26, 2023 4:00 AM

Dec 2022
Dammit, they're totally teasing us with the spear twirling guy, aren't they.

I would have liked to see more of his and Erwin's matches.
Jun 3, 2023 1:45 PM
Feb 2023
it was ok
Sep 11, 2023 6:18 AM

Oct 2022
The way they show the MC until now make it look like he does not care about his party friends.
He is always doing something separated from the party, there is no bond apart from some chat in the breakfast.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2020

100 by kurooganeko »»
Oct 19, 6:01 PM

» I take it this will be a heavy "go check manga/LN", it's been jarring to watch.

TheJuiceBox - May 28, 2020

8 by SakurakoMikage »»
Jul 10, 8:33 PM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2020

76 by TicuuGoBoom »»
Jul 9, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2020

64 by amf85 »»
Apr 1, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Hachi-nan tte, Sore wa Nai deshou! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

120 by Juggy_don »»
Feb 9, 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.