Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2012 11:23 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm I'm surprised nobody started a thread discussion for this movie yet... well anyway here we are.

The first line of tehnominator's review about this princess anime movie says it all, it's not typical at all. I would have liked to see her really go out in the whole wild world the entire time, sort of Kino's Journey in a way, but she got held up from the beginning till near the end by uhmm... her circumstances. With the exception of the seeing the Golden Eagle part, the ending seems to be where she's gonna start her traveling adventures. I was really interested in the background story of the ancient sorcerers and the golden past before the present time in the movie but that was just it, they were just for the background plot.

When I was I was starting to like her traveling companion/pack mule, the goat, (go ahead and laugh, I liked that goat! XP ) the movie ended. Yup I guess that was my only complain. 9/10 for me.

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 5, 2012 12:13 AM

Jul 2011
Totally feel you man, but for me the one that strikes more close at home is the wizard:

Just think about it you are a kid, going to school, they are teaching you the basics, you cant even fully read a whole profound book, so far you only have learned how to transform things into useless shapes under some circumstances and then? POW! the whole world goes to shit! disaster strikes, so you do your best to extend your life time, changing back and forth your age you manage to somehow survive through the ages while you wait for a rescue team...

Your situation gets so fucking damn bad that your frog underling amid all its limitations is able to make an accurate comparison between you and the princess, a comparison that will eventually cause your doom, hell you cant even make your own food! so for years you have been surviving with the help of a nearby close to ruin village.

But you see? life is so full of good luck! it so just happens, that the princess gets free even though your idea was to hopefully send her far away and never encounter her again... the prophecy comes true, and even if it wasn't her intention she ends fucking you up.

And is not only like "Oh man you lost that crystal tough luck dog", NO! you fucking lost the crystal!!!
But not before you turn yourself back into an old fart close to death in like 5 years, but not all hope is lost... she has the decency to come back after some time, because you can actually see how the deserted landscape has come back to be full of greenery life and the village is prospering, anyway, that girl that may as well be ironically even older than the wizard himself, when shit becomes his destiny, she goes and tells him...

Oh but before that! the woman that used to bring him food goes and ask this poor dude if he has found the crystal already... what a cruel bitch, is clear that he already found the crystal and he is just enjoying life inside the body of an old man! the wonderful activity of digging the ground is clearly enhanced in this old body, he is way more agile, what a bitch, so yeah...

After that the princess tells him about a different magic we all humans have... the magic of IMAGINATION (insert sponge bob hand rainbows here), so now close your eyes, and remember how life used to be so nice in the good old days, well evidently they lived in a close to utopia type of society, he even wanted to be an astronaut back in the day.

But now he is just an old guy with the knowledge of a child (that by standards and compared to how things are, you could say that he is a damn genius among men), but anyway he is still an old man, and to top it off, he has lost his crystal and thus his immortality (that was more like longevity).

So with the reminder of the capacity of humans to dream and hope (in the wizard's case hope to find the damn crystal and get his ass out of dodge), our princes sets to adventure.

So yeah shit is not looking good for our "evil wizard" as unlucky as he can get, it is highly possible that he lives for another 5 to 7 years, and then the very next day a fucking recon team appears attracted by the drawing, and oh surprise! he is dead!! oh well, if only he could have hanged a little bit longer...

The worst thing is the wizard was your average boy, and shit just hit him at the wrong time, and then it continues to hit him again and again, you can even blame him for not giving up hope, and still go on believing that someone out there was going to appear and save his ass.

But hey! to just surrender and go all "I'm gonna just forget about my life and self and then die like some normal guy", is somehow sadder, you can all said he could follow the witch's example, but i disagree, he hasn't waited all that time and go through all that shit to just end it like that!

So yeah, he most likely will end death while still searching for that crystal.

What an awesome movie i can say i love it, a personal 10 from me just because there wasn't really a bad guy, just some fucker with bad luck, who gives a damn about the princess at this point anyway? while her adventure begins the other guy has to face his last years in the body of an old man with the twinkling hope of being rescued, by a society that very well may no longer exist! WHAT THE FUCK!
DoomroarMar 29, 2014 12:17 AM
Jan 5, 2013 7:46 PM

Jun 2009
This truly was a great movie.
I always wondered what would happen next.
There's not much I can say for the ending other than being satisfied, I suppose. Almost like relief that it didn't end the way I thought it would.
Jun 23, 2014 9:57 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't quite expect the plot from the synopsis. I was hoping Arete was going to explore the world and then go back her kingdom and change it all.

But it was still nice. Arete is such a resourceful and smart girl who doesn't need saving. Did you see when she was trying to escape? When she pretended to still be under the spell by making the clothes? Ingenious.

I wish we got to see her journey. That would have made the movie even greater. Maybe if it was a series. :/
Dec 6, 2015 6:36 AM

Jul 2014
Gorgeous art and soundtrack.
The story in itself is nice and has a charming, fairy tale-like vibe.
Overall good, yet it lacks a bit of a punch, probably because of its poor pacing.
Mind you, not slow pacing, but poor pacing, since it partially fails to build an adequate atmosphere, fitting for a slow paced movie.
Dec 24, 2016 4:32 PM

Jan 2015
This literally put me to sleep.
Feb 24, 2018 1:22 PM

Oct 2015
I am glad the village people got water, but I wished Boax got punished somehow( although he lost he lost his crystal ball its still not enough). Arête taught him that magic is not only for personal use but for the people. Although its an old animation I still enjoyed it because it wasn't your typical wait for your prince princess kind of fairy tale, Arête isn't your typical princess. She is a princess who wants to be free and explore what's out there, in other grind in the dirt and touch the wind.

Yah that Boax should've turned Grovel to human again, I kinda liked him even though he talked too much.

6/10.
lihle808Feb 24, 2018 1:28 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 28, 2018 7:47 PM

Jul 2011
lihle808 said:
I am glad the village people got water, but I wished Boax got punished somehow( although he lost he lost his crystal ball its still not enough). Arête taught him that magic is not only for personal use but for the people. Although its an old animation I still enjoyed it because it wasn't your typical wait for your prince princess kind of fairy tale, Arête isn't your typical princess. She is a princess who wants to be free and explore what's out there, in other grind in the dirt and touch the wind.

Yah that Boax should've turned Grovel to human again, I kinda liked him even though he talked too much.

6/10.

Dude Boax is a child that got fucked into dying in the body of an old man while he waits for a rescue team from a civilization that may never come, and on this new body he has at best 5 years left of life before weirdly enough dying of old age, and no hope of anything good ever happening to him again, with the only good thing ever happening to him before the shit hit the fan being that he got to live in a pretty swell place while it lasted, his future is shit, his present is shit, and his past is mostly shit, and his only hope is a wild delusion.

However you think he wasn't punished enough?
Mar 1, 2018 2:07 PM

Oct 2015
Doomroar said:
lihle808 said:

6/10.

Dude Boax is a child that got fucked into dying in the body of an old man while he waits for a rescue team from a civilization that may never come, and on this new body he has at best 5 years left of life before weirdly enough dying of old age, and no hope of anything good ever happening to him again, with the only good thing ever happening to him before the shit hit the fan being that he got to live in a pretty swell place while it lasted, his future is shit, his present is shit, and his past is mostly shit, and his only hope is a wild delusion.

I think he deserved it after putting those people under such strain. But thanx for the clarification because I got to know more about Boax.

Last question though, what did he do to be in such state in the 1st place.

Mar 1, 2018 5:08 PM

Jul 2011
lihle808 said:
Doomroar said:

I think he deserved it after putting those people under such strain. But thanx for the clarification because I got to know more about Boax.

He did nothing, is just a case of horrendous bad luck, he was a kid and his society collapsed, then stranded in foreign land he "disguised" himself as an old man and passed himself for a wizard while he waited for help to come, and help never came, in reality he is still a kid, and never matured neither mentally nor physically (because he is not really an old man he just transforms into one to hide his identity, but the transformation is literal, while he stops aging, his biology becomes that of an old man, is really damn stupid, but kids don't know better), the other witch that we saw is also in that situation, she is a young girl passing herself for an old magical woman, which we know is not magic but the remains of the technology from their society, the difference is that the "witch" gave up on getting rescued and decided to live and die as an old hag, this however is not something she wanted to do, if i remember her crystal broke or was lost, and for her conversation with Arete who may very well be older than her, the witch is really unhappy, as in dead inside unhappy.

While Boax, the kid, still for some reason thinks they will come for him, he refuses to accept that this is his life now and that things will never return to what they were, the reason why they only transform into old people near dead to disguise themselves is because as little children they never learnt how to fully operate the technology of their society so there's just a handful things they can do with it, they are hardly middle schoolers (Edit: it is actually worse Boax never even learnt how to read something that Arete can do, he is that young, and he has wasted years trying to read a book he can't read, a book that may not even tell him what he needs! Sunao Katabuchi is one sick sadistic bastard for coming with this story), if their things break they can't repair them, and in a world unknown anyone may take advantage of them and their tools, so the kids were fucked the moment they lost the function of their crystals.

So that's getting majorly screwed twice, in Boax case however, it is kind of lucky for him to be such a huge brat, his situation is way, way, way worse that even he himself realizes, as he searches for the crystal he is worried that once rescue comes, they wont recognize him, while the truth is that not only will no one ever come to save him, chances are he will die waiting, but the good thing is, that as an old fart he wont be waiting for long, tat's about the only good thing that has come his way, that now he can be put out of his misery.

DoomroarMar 1, 2018 5:42 PM
Mar 1, 2018 11:32 PM

Oct 2015
Doomroar said:
lihle808 said:

He did nothing, is just a case of horrendous bad luck, he was a kid and his society collapsed, then stranded in foreign land he "disguised" himself as an old man and passed himself for a wizard while he waited for help to come, and help never came, in reality he is still a kid, and never matured neither mentally nor physically (because he is not really an old man he just transforms into one to hide his identity, but the transformation is literal, while he stops aging, his biology becomes that of an old man, is really damn stupid, but kids don't know better), the other witch that we saw is also in that situation, she is a young girl passing herself for an old magical woman, which we know is not magic but the remains of the technology from their society, the difference is that the "witch" gave up on getting rescued and decided to live and die as an old hag, this however is not something she wanted to do, if i remember her crystal broke or was lost, and for her conversation with Arete who may very well be older than her, the witch is really unhappy, as in dead inside unhappy.

While Boax, the kid, still for some reason thinks they will come for him, he refuses to accept that this is his life now and that things will never return to what they were, the reason why they only transform into old people near dead to disguise themselves is because as little children they never learnt how to fully operate the technology of their society so there's just a handful things they can do with it, they are hardly middle schoolers (Edit: it is actually worse Boax never even learnt how to read something that Arete can do, he is that young, and he has wasted years trying to read a book he can't read, a book that may not even tell him what he needs! Sunao Katabuchi is one sick sadistic bastard for coming with this story), if their things break they can't repair them, and in a world unknown anyone may take advantage of them and their tools, so the kids were fucked the moment they lost the function of their crystals.

So that's getting majorly screwed twice, in Boax case however, it is kind of lucky for him to be such a huge brat, his situation is way, way, way worse that even he himself realizes, as he searches for the crystal he is worried that once rescue comes, they wont recognize him, while the truth is that not only will no one ever come to save him, chances are he will die waiting, but the good thing is, that as an old fart he wont be waiting for long, tat's about the only good thing that has come his way, that now he can be put out of his misery.

WOW! astonishing, Much appreciation for the head up.

I never knew how much back story the guy had, now i really want to read the novel.

Thanx again.

Mar 2, 2018 6:20 AM

Jul 2011
lihle808 said:
Doomroar said:

I never knew how much back story the guy had, now i really want to read the novel.

Thanx again.

There's no novel, i wish there was, it is all from the movie, the same movie you just watched, all the exposition giving us the background on the villain happens in just 2 (4) moments, that is one of the biggest flaws of this movie, both character exposition, and world building are extremely poor, maybe it was on purposse to capture the feeling of being imprisoned in a tower and isolated from the world and its inhabitants, but as a result we ended with this poorly shown thing, anyway these are the moments:

When the witch talks to Arete the first time we learn that magic doesn't exist, they are just tools from a more advanced society, we also get this confirmed 2 more times when Grovel finds one of the fallen satellites and we see that they are clearly artificial, we also see that they are ancient by now, for the piece of satellite becomes dust shortly after Boax holds it, the third time is when Boax and Arete face each other.

Anyway, when the witch first talks to Arete we find out that she was (actually is) a dumbass that got her crystal stolen when she was pranking people passing herself as an old hag, we also know at that very moment that she made herself "immortal" by transforming back and fort, but now she has given out we learnt that the second time they talk, actually it is hinted the first time, but the second time she made it clear that she has decided to resign herself to live and die like a normal old hag, throwing away her memories, an extreme and unnecessary measure, she is also dumber than expected, because now that i think about it she could have used the magic ring to turn herself back, just like Arete herself does later on in the movie, why didn't she do it? we never find out, the ring is not all powerful but we literally see that it can do at least that much, maybe she was too much of a coward to commit suicide, and just letting herself go as an old hag would be quicker.

As for Boax we can see him struggling trying to read the book that Arete had, he constantly falls into frustrations because the book has a bunch of words that he doesn't understand/knows, which is why it takes him like a week to come with that dumb plan of sending Arete into a mission, plan which among other things failed extremely fast, the other moment is on the final confrontation between Boax and Arete, when he reveals that he is a kid, that never learnt to use magic, all he can do is use the things others made, and even then, all he knows is how to transform useless things into other useless things, soon after that his incompetent ass trips and falls, losing the gem, dooming himself to an early death, just like the witch, BTW talking about the witch, why didn't she approached Boax and told him to lend her his crystal to turn her back? no idea, maybe same reason why she didn't use the ring, maybe she is an idiot, or she just gave up entirely.

The final piece of background is at the very end of the movie, when Arete tells Boax to use the power of imagination, the magic that all humans have, in order to escape his predicament and find hope. This is actually quite infuriating, because Boax doesn't uses the power of imagination, he uses his memory, he thinks back to how things used to be, of the time he went to the beach, of his kind mother, and his dreams of one day becoming an astronaut, of his wonderful society, he thinks of his actual past, of course for Arete and the rest (Ample the woman that gave Boax food) his past sounds like total fiction, so Arete, which is also a dumbass, as a matter of fact, not even one single character in that entire movie is smart, they are all idiots, some more than others, but anyway Arete assumes that Boax is also thinking of a fairytale, just like she herself did while imprisoned in the tower reading the book, or when she was imprisoned in the wizard's tower sewing, and tells him to cherish that magic of imagination, problem of course being that Boax never used that magic, he was just remembering.

Then the movie ends, we see Arete went out to travel the world, and Boax is still there in that field looking for the gem, the literal final frame of the movie is of Borax looking at his hands and then looking at the sky, what does that mean? i have no idea, Arete herself looks at her hands a bunch of times through the movie, but when she does that, she is thinking about the things that human hands can create, the things that her hands could create, she is thinking about the power of imagination and creativity, in the case of Boax however the power of imagination is something he has never used, and that his useless ass can't really use, because in the end he is a brat that can't even read, so maybe that final frame what shows us is that Boax finally gives up, that like the witch he has come to accept that this is his reality now, that no one will come to save him, and that he has to live and die an old man with not too long left to live, but that's a depressing way to end a movie.

Btw neither Arete nor the villagers that were there tell Ample about Boax real form, the only thing this movie had going for him was introspection, and yet Arete never question why the wizard would kidnap her just to release her shortly after, and why he would actively try to avoid her, and once the truth is out no one shares it, Ample literally ask Boax what he will do once he finds the crystal, she thinks he will use it to transform people into frogs, she still thinks that Boax is an old evil wizard and has no idea that he is really a lost and dumb spoiled kid, i can't blame her tho, she wasn't there the moment Boax confesses, and no one will ever tell her, days probably months have gone by, the place is all green, at this point there's no reason to come and tell her, "Oh Ample did you know? that Boax is not an actual wizard, he can't really use magic, he is just a kid that screwed himself over", i don't know why Arete is keeping that info to herself, she could be helping him to look for the crystal, but it isn't, so funny thing is that the prophecy came true at the end and Boax ends losing his immortality, just like in any other fairytale ever written, the only reason this is important to mention is because this movie is known to subvert fairytale tropes.
Mar 3, 2018 4:26 PM

Oct 2015
Doomroar said:
lihle808 said:

Thanx again.

There's no novel, i wish there was, it is all from the movie, the same movie you just watched, all the exposition giving us the background on the villain happens in just 2 (4) moments, that is one of the biggest flaws of this movie, both character exposition, and world building are extremely poor, maybe it was on purposse to capture the feeling of being imprisoned in a tower and isolated from the world and its inhabitants, but as a result we ended with this poorly shown thing, anyway these are the moments:

When the witch talks to Arete the first time we learn that magic doesn't exist, they are just tools from a more advanced society, we also get this confirmed 2 more times when Grovel finds one of the fallen satellites and we see that they are clearly artificial, we also see that they are ancient by now, for the piece of satellite becomes dust shortly after Boax holds it, the third time is when Boax and Arete face each other.

Anyway, when the witch first talks to Arete we find out that she was (actually is) a dumbass that got her crystal stolen when she was pranking people passing herself as an old hag, we also know at that very moment that she made herself "immortal" by transforming back and fort, but now she has given out we learnt that the second time they talk, actually it is hinted the first time, but the second time she made it clear that she has decided to resign herself to live and die like a normal old hag, throwing away her memories, an extreme and unnecessary measure, she is also dumber than expected, because now that i think about it she could have used the magic ring to turn herself back, just like Arete herself does later on in the movie, why didn't she do it? we never find out, the ring is not all powerful but we literally see that it can do at least that much, maybe she was too much of a coward to commit suicide, and just letting herself go as an old hag would be quicker.

As for Boax we can see him struggling trying to read the book that Arete had, he constantly falls into frustrations because the book has a bunch of words that he doesn't understand/knows, which is why it takes him like a week to come with that dumb plan of sending Arete into a mission, plan which among other things failed extremely fast, the other moment is on the final confrontation between Boax and Arete, when he reveals that he is a kid, that never learnt to use magic, all he can do is use the things others made, and even then, all he knows is how to transform useless things into other useless things, soon after that his incompetent ass trips and falls, losing the gem, dooming himself to an early death, just like the witch, BTW talking about the witch, why didn't she approached Boax and told him to lend her his crystal to turn her back? no idea, maybe same reason why she didn't use the ring, maybe she is an idiot, or she just gave up entirely.

The final piece of background is at the very end of the movie, when Arete tells Boax to use the power of imagination, the magic that all humans have, in order to escape his predicament and find hope. This is actually quite infuriating, because Boax doesn't uses the power of imagination, he uses his memory, he thinks back to how things used to be, of the time he went to the beach, of his kind mother, and his dreams of one day becoming an astronaut, of his wonderful society, he thinks of his actual past, of course for Arete and the rest (Ample the woman that gave Boax food) his past sounds like total fiction, so Arete, which is also a dumbass, as a matter of fact, not even one single character in that entire movie is smart, they are all idiots, some more than others, but anyway Arete assumes that Boax is also thinking of a fairytale, just like she herself did while imprisoned in the tower reading the book, or when she was imprisoned in the wizard's tower sewing, and tells him to cherish that magic of imagination, problem of course being that Boax never used that magic, he was just remembering.

Then the movie ends, we see Arete went out to travel the world, and Boax is still there in that field looking for the gem, the literal final frame of the movie is of Borax looking at his hands and then looking at the sky, what does that mean? i have no idea, Arete herself looks at her hands a bunch of times through the movie, but when she does that, she is thinking about the things that human hands can create, the things that her hands could create, she is thinking about the power of imagination and creativity, in the case of Boax however the power of imagination is something he has never used, and that his useless ass can't really use, because in the end he is a brat that can't even read, so maybe that final frame what shows us is that Boax finally gives up, that like the witch he has come to accept that this is his reality now, that no one will come to save him, and that he has to live and die an old man with not too long left to live, but that's a depressing way to end a movie.

Btw neither Arete nor the villagers that were there tell Ample about Boax real form, the only thing this movie had going for him was introspection, and yet Arete never question why the wizard would kidnap her just to release her shortly after, and why he would actively try to avoid her, and once the truth is out no one shares it, Ample literally ask Boax what he will do once he finds the crystal, she thinks he will use it to transform people into frogs, she still thinks that Boax is an old evil wizard and has no idea that he is really a lost and dumb spoiled kid, i can't blame her tho, she wasn't there the moment Boax confesses, and no one will ever tell her, days probably months have gone by, the place is all green, at this point there's no reason to come and tell her, "Oh Ample did you know? that Boax is not an actual wizard, he can't really use magic, he is just a kid that screwed himself over", i don't know why Arete is keeping that info to herself, she could be helping him to look for the crystal, but it isn't, so funny thing is that the prophecy came true at the end and Boax ends losing his immortality, just like in any other fairytale ever written, the only reason this is important to mention is because this movie is known to subvert fairytale tropes.
You got that from the movie alone? wow you're incredible! It kinda made my watching shallow.
I am you also gave me an insight on the witch too, because I was meaning to ask about her too.

you were a huge help and THANKS A BUNCH AGAIN

Mar 3, 2018 8:29 PM

Jul 2011
lihle808 said:
Doomroar said:

You got that from the movie alone? wow you're incredible! It kinda made my watching shallow.
I am you also gave me an insight on the witch too, because I was meaning to ask about her too.

you were a huge help and THANKS A BUNCH AGAIN

No worries man, Is actually the movie's fault, most people who watch it end think that Boax is this old man that for some reason goes around kidnapping princesses just to then send them on dumb quests, it is a fact that the movie spends little to nothing on character exposition, and since we never see the witch again people just forget about her, by the moment Boax sees that Arete has a wish granting ring and comments on how his mom once bought him one as a gift most people forget from whom Arete got it and what it does (meaning that the thunder generated is not actual thunder that could harm Arete, it is something parents buy their children, and Boax just used it to trick Arete).
Jan 3, 2020 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
A very good "fairy tale" about a girl taking her life in her hands. The themes are well treated without "moralistic hammer". Too strong separation between the two parts.
Technically well done. Perfect and discrete OST by Senju.

Not for those with low attention, thanks to the way information is handed (and the "lack" of tempo).

Score: 8/10
Enjoyment: 3/5

@St0rmblade Glad you liked it ! The little details were so good to look at, indeed. ^^
Rei_IIIOct 7, 2021 12:36 PM
Feb 11, 2021 3:38 AM

Jun 2014
What a pointless, boring and uneventful movie. The contents for this could have been squeezed in a 30 minute OVA, no point in making it this long when barely anything of note happens. 1/10
alpha_shadowFeb 13, 2021 6:11 PM
:3
May 5, 2021 4:59 AM

Aug 2015
Despite its many plot-devices and pacing problems, I think this movie was interesting in its themes about freedom, free will and the selfish desire of human beings.

I think this movie is especially much better than the Disney Princess movies. We have a really active heroine who tries to avoid what is imposed on her, namely waiting for a prince to marry her. On the contrary she has found her freedom. That's great.

The music and atmosphere were excellent with many contemplative shots.

I don't want to be picky either, but it was a good movie.
Oct 5, 2021 4:16 PM

Aug 2017
One of the most misleading movie posters I've seen in a while. Expected more "Studio 4C-esque" imagery, but either way it looked great. Lots of attention to detail (look at how the girl salts her food!), and small pacing was a good part of enjoying the world. The magic/science angle is interesting, funnily enough it would also appear in another anime by this studio, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (or Tweeny Witches)
Jan 7, 2022 12:25 AM

Jun 2007
Man, I'm really not surprised this has its roots in a didactic, stuffy political work. Nearly everything about this film is so dry, vague, impersonal. The most vibrant tastes of humanity have nothing to do with the source material, and everything to do with the brief glimpses of old magic and everyday life clearly given a little flair by director Katabuchi, a Ghibli alum. Never thought I'd say this, but this 4C production is... meh.
Jan 29, 5:01 AM

Mar 2023
I accidentally stumbled in this movie through a YouTube suggestion (It is free for a whole month from January 2024 to February 2024) and never thought I would watch this anime. I thought to myself why not? I have time to spare to watch. I have zero idea what the story be like. After I watched it, the story, however, reminded me so much of the classic fairy tale story such as Rapunzel or that trapped princess in the tower trope with a somewhat charming twist to the trope.

It was a bit slow-paced, with most of the time just panning into scenery + music or just mc monologuing. The music without a doubt was amazing, and the animation has that 70/80s charm to it. Something reminded me of Heidi or the early Ghibli Movie.

Anyway, I'm glad I gave this movie a chance that it deserved. A solid 7/10 from me.
Feb 1, 10:32 PM

Jan 2016
That's definitely a fairy tale I'd show to my kids!

More topics from this board

» Ever released on DVD?

Malarkey - Aug 1, 2016

2 by nephyxutune »»
Oct 12, 8:44 PM

» Free on YouTube until Dec 2, 2022

Nyron - Nov 22, 2022

0 by Nyron »»
Nov 22, 2022 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.