Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 6, 2019 9:36 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting, even the store manager has their own game. I wasn't expecting that.

It's also surprising imo on how much Oono knows about the game. I guess she's someone to talk to with her knowledge about board games.
Nov 6, 2019 11:19 AM

Aug 2012
Yes, video games are more popular but board games are timeless. And Midori's One Room reminds me of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.
Nov 6, 2019 11:20 AM

Sep 2013
What a great episode to illustrate a bunch of the things that are important to the creation of board games, such as the necessity of constant test play and truly having to be open to criticism. Hopefully we'll get more Midoris in Japan in the future so that the board game culture truly finds its spot over there!
Nov 6, 2019 11:43 AM

Apr 2016
How to spot a foreigner in anime .. has blonde hair and is from Germany.
Nov 6, 2019 12:07 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Midori had a great idea with that game, she just needs to improve it with a team now.
Nov 6, 2019 12:10 PM
May 2019
A nice episode telling that designing a game isn't just coming up with a idea and holding onto it. Other than that, a rather slow episode.
Nov 6, 2019 1:24 PM

Nov 2010
This episode has a very strong message. Not just for board game designers only, but for every creator no matter of profession. Constructinve critique from other people is a must if a creator wants to improve and make anything from his works.
Really great episode.Hope the German girl joins the main group.
Nov 6, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2016
This episode was okay for me.

not a lot happened even with the board game development plot in here.
Nov 6, 2019 1:41 PM

Aug 2013
Midori made her own game and the girls played it. Though Miki's and Aya's opinions of it were brutally honest. lol.

Nov 6, 2019 2:50 PM

Feb 2019
Fuck yes! Midori chan got her adorable shine. I believe in you, don't give up on your game! This is honestly my favourite series of the year, it's going to be an extremely underrated gem. It's just so fucking wholesome and cute and after 6 hours of grad school class on Wednesdays it is an amazing way to relax. I also have the first 8 manga volumes and am getting into those.

I wish more people watched the series and appreciated it, but can't be helped. It has actually got me into playing games myself, particularly shogi. Hope y'all enjoyed the episode and have a lovely rest of your week.
Nov 6, 2019 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
I would definetly play that game, it really looked interesting and funny to play with friends (after future improvements)
Nov 6, 2019 7:33 PM

Oct 2015
That "one room" game looks a type of game my granny would like, it's boring and truly monotonous. But hopefully Midori can improve it with her friends guidance.

Thanks to George for that firm advice.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 6, 2019 9:41 PM

Mar 2018
Got the little teaser at the beginning. Guess next episode is gonna introduce the new girl

Other than that it continued with the usual pattern of a new side char getting introduced and helping someone improve
I don't dislike it but I kinda of miss these side chars. While some are more or less annoying, most were pretty cool like the delinquent friend of Aya's sister.
But they never show up again :/

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 6, 2019 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
Great episode. George really spoke the truth. They also really nailed the hardest thing about making a good game -- it needs to be fun!
Nov 7, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 2015
Am i the only one whom was sad when they searched for Midori's board game to no avail?
No idea if that's the case for the other 5 games, didn't look for em, but I have enjoyed finding all my favourites in the background, loved seeing Dixit this time!
Nov 7, 2019 2:35 AM
Jun 2017
agree with what mr george has to say to midori on this one... THAT EVERY CREATOR MUST NOT AFRAID OF CRITICISM , as those things can make it a better one.
Nov 7, 2019 9:04 AM

Oct 2017
Wow Midori chan is already making a game and tbh "One Room" looked like a really interesting game. Well we learnt a bit about that blonde girl, hope she is finally introduced next episode.
Nov 7, 2019 1:13 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I'll take this One Room over the anime version any day of the week, that's for sure
Nov 7, 2019 3:06 PM

Sep 2017
excellent episode. things got really interesting. we got to see midori's first game which is a good game idea yet as Aya and Miki pointed out, there is room for improvement. looking forward to the next episode!
Nov 7, 2019 4:24 PM
Jul 2017
I spent ages trying to work out if George Beresford was based on a specific designer, or was just a pastiche in general. Haven't found a good match yet...
Nov 8, 2019 1:38 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty important theme of the episode but I feel like it was a bit underwhelming due to the short timespan and lack of controversy leading up to the mighty realization y'know.

Anyway, it was cool to have an episode dedicated to Midori-chan like this! She ought to be really thankful to her two friends, I doubt she would take the advice from the professional otherwise. Miki-chan and Aya-chan holding back on the criticisms was really adorable to see though, but good thing everything is out and up for development I assume. Sometimes the amateurs are the best idea for game play and I suppose this is another one of those cases.

Interesting German girl hinted at the start. I'm sure she'll play a bigger role in the next episode so I'm looking forward to that.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 8, 2019 3:57 AM

Jul 2017
Midori wants to be a game designer, but making one is easier said than done, much less letting people have a go on it and judge based on it. Regardless, what George said truly made sense, even if Midori fights back in her own valiant knowledge.

To Miki and Aya though, they don't have the huge brain of knowledge like Midori, but at face value, a game IS a game, and they'll take it regardless.

Midori's game, "One Room"...@HaXXspetten EHHH I see wad u did there, and I wholeheartedly agree xD
Jokes aside, this is one hell of a big game, seems complex but interesting...for a bit. But that's not enough for Miki and Aya as no matter how much they try to "play nice" against Midori, from amateurs' POV, it is quite the substantial difference of criticism.

@_MushiRock11_ I understand where you're coming from, and same criticisms too. It just felt underwhelming even if they try to present a full plate in under 30 mins, just really not feeling the full experience perhaps.
Nov 8, 2019 4:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
KANLen09 said:
@_MushiRock11_ I understand where you're coming from, and same criticisms too. It just felt underwhelming even if they try to present a full plate in under 30 mins, just really not feeling the full experience perhaps.

Exactly, this should have been packed with more and resolved early or mid-next episode I reckon.

Nov 8, 2019 5:06 AM

Jul 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
KANLen09 said:

Exactly, this should have been packed with more and resolved early or mid-next episode I reckon.

OR it could take the route of "this is our formula, please take it with sincerity that we hope you like our execution" and all that load of BS. Anyways, still holding 50/50 for this.
Nov 8, 2019 5:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
KANLen09 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

OR it could take the route of "this is our formula, please take it with sincerity that we hope you like our execution" and all that load of BS. Anyways, still holding 50/50 for this.

Well, there's always that of course lol. And yeah, same here. ;-;

Looking forward to seeing that cool senpai next episode!

Nov 8, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
KANLen09 said:

Well, there's always that of course lol. And yeah, same here. ;-;

Oh yes, that blonde German girl? Hopefully she'll be a real treat next episode :)
Nov 8, 2019 7:10 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
KANLen09 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

Oh yes, that blonde German girl? Hopefully she'll be a real treat next episode :)

I meant Aya-chan’s elder sister’s mate actually but yeah I’m looking forward to both the two.

Nov 8, 2019 9:52 AM

Dec 2010
YES!
They finally showed me one of my liked games Splendor.

I played this game 1-2 years ago in school... So many memories hahaha
Nov 8, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2018
I'm agree with everything George said. Wait until the game is fully ready not only time-consuming, but also made it hard to fix if there are many disadvantages spotted later. As a software engineer, this kind of thing is very relate to me.

Ono's One Room game is actually promising, but lack in variation and challenge. But, I still hope that game become a real thing. Maybe someone in real life will be inspired by it.
Nov 8, 2019 11:22 AM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I'm loving Midori more and more with every passing episode. I especially like how her personality is portrayed since she can be stubborn yet open to accept constructive criticism when it's needed.
On a side note, I think her "outburst" against Aya at the beginning was a bit too much but other than that, the rest of the episode was quite enjoyable in the end.

The game she designed also seems quite interesting. I would really love to play it too but as expected, it needs some additions and changes. Aya's ideas were really on point in that regard, by the way. In fact, the feedback she received from both her and Miki was quite useful.
Nov 8, 2019 6:31 PM

Mar 2012
I'm glad that anime about my favourite hobby is so wholesome. Haven't felt like this since Yuru Camp.

5/5
Nov 8, 2019 10:12 PM

Feb 2019
One Room is sort of interesting, but the first time I heard the rules I did think that it was monotonous and would get boring real quick. Glad Midori realised that too!

That blonde girl was pretty lol, hope she gets introduced next time.
Nov 9, 2019 2:11 AM

Oct 2008
Very Good episode!
you need criticisms!
you can't create a board game alone!
you have to take suggestions from others and use them to improve the board game that you are creating because once the game tester finds out that something is missing compared to the other official games and then it will get much better!
5/5.

Nov 9, 2019 9:36 AM
Mar 2015
How to make a boring game
Nov 9, 2019 2:20 PM

Jul 2019
Probably the best episode so far because it broke out of the slice-of-life formula and actually had some real story progression (kind of). All-in-all the show is still a pretty generic and forgettable "cute girls do x for 12 episodes" type show. It's an easy to consume show so I'll keep watching until the end, maybe it will actually be worth it, who knows.
Nov 10, 2019 6:57 PM

Oct 2017
Superns18 said:
Fuck yes! Midori chan got her adorable shine. I believe in you, don't give up on your game! This is honestly my favourite series of the year, it's going to be an extremely underrated gem. It's just so fucking wholesome and cute and after 6 hours of grad school class on Wednesdays it is an amazing way to relax. I also have the first 8 manga volumes and am getting into those.

I wish more people watched the series and appreciated it, but can't be helped. It has actually got me into playing games myself, particularly shogi. Hope y'all enjoyed the episode and have a lovely rest of your week.

I'm 100% with you! This is CGDCT done extremely well. Wholesome, relaxing, with just the right amount of light-hearted dramatic notes.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned how fucking hilarious it was to see two big serious-looking dudes drinking while discussing board games in a swanky-looking board games bar. That was some great comedy.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 10, 2019 8:33 PM
Jan 2017
Afterschool Dice Club delivers yet another fine episode! Midori faces her first bump in her road to become a game author. As much dedication as she put into her game, her judgment alone is not enough to make the game good. She needs input from others. It's not easy to accept criticism from other, but it's necessary for growth and development. Hopefully, Midori will learn from this experience and fulfill her dream.
Nov 10, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2009
And yea...

of course Board Games aren't going to be popular besides the country they're made...

It holds true for ANY board games... such as in America, it's mostly just Chess, while in Japan it's GO and in China it's Mahjong.

And in the millennials, it's now all about Video Games, PC and Mobile to be exact. Consoles are slowly dying out. Especially since the only console only is just Nintendo. Playstation and Microsoft is all about Hybrids for most of their games (IE: games on both console and PC).

Plus, video gaming is widely popular because of streaming (you don't see anyone stream board games on Youtube, Twitch and Mixer... lol), and streaming games has now become part of Business and Career. You can make hundreds if not thousands of dollars a day simply from Subs and Donations. You can't make that much money from board games unless you're like TOP 5 in the entire World of certain Board Games.

Even today, a lot of board games are shifting toward digital games, they no longer make as much physical products because no one buys physical products anymore... it's the same deal as console games, people just buy digital, why leave your house when you can simply get it in your house?

___ ___ ___

A huge example is, US, the people here.

How many actually owns or plays physical board games? most likely less than 10% if none. Only time someone would play a physical board game is if they don't have any video games to play. But... with Nintendo Switch and Mobile devices, pretty much everyone is playing video games. (even outside of their house)

___ ___ ___

Also, wanted to comment on something.

In this episode, the dude said "games can't be made alone"

Which is technically not true... (for video games at least) there's actually a lot of games that are made solo, even good ones. All you need to do is find them on Steam.

And the most well known is... Minecraft, it was literally made by one dude and got so popular that Microsoft decide to buy it for millions of dollar. (Minecraft is now worth Billions of dollar and have a team of hundreds of people developing it, they're still attempting to put it with Hologen (AR/ VR Mixed-Reality technology))

They recently released "Minecraft Earth" AR technology for Mobiles. (Like Pokemon Go)
amlgNov 20, 2019 12:37 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Nov 10, 2019 9:49 PM

Aug 2016
This was a better one but this show is always borderline boring.
Nov 11, 2019 2:26 AM

Feb 2019
YossaRedMage said:
Superns18 said:

I'm 100% with you! This is CGDCT done extremely well. Wholesome, relaxing, with just the right amount of light-hearted dramatic notes.

I'm amazed no one has mentioned how fucking hilarious it was to see two big serious-looking dudes drinking while discussing board games in a swanky-looking board games bar. That was some great comedy.

Facts, man. Not enough explosions for mainstream support though, I guess.
Nov 11, 2019 2:26 AM

Feb 2019
WMR said:
This was a better one but this show is always borderline boring.

why watch it then? I don't quite get this.
Nov 12, 2019 4:31 PM

Aug 2016
Because sometimes I enjoy it? There are still things I like about it. Not every show has to be a 10/10 as criteria for watching, right? And I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to comment my opinion on it, even if negative. Sorry if I come off aggressive; this site isn't exactly friendly.
Nov 13, 2019 2:24 PM

Mar 2009
Board games are srs business, apparently.
Nov 15, 2019 12:44 PM

Aug 2018
The only thing I must say is that George is a badass¬¬

Oh yeah, also I loved how Miki and Aya's opinions were too honest xD

Nov 20, 2019 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
Such a nice episode! I can definitely understand Midori's fears towards receiving negative feedback about the game she put a lot of effort into, but I'm glad that she could finally make the push to make her friends try it out as the expert on the field told her to with his harsh but correct words.

This is definitely not only something that applies to board games, playtesting is such an important element and if one gets stuck with only its own ideals so much potential is lost, just a single game was enough to see flaws and what could be done to make it a lot more fun to play.

Nice growth as a character for her, I'm sure she will deliver something amazing in the future!
Nov 21, 2019 6:21 PM

Jul 2017
Midori confirmed the original creator of the One Room anime
Dec 17, 2019 7:50 AM

Jan 2015
True inspiration for any creators out there. "You cant become a designer while being afraid of being criticized" I think Midori is a mirror for most people out there. Being afraid of being criticized, trying to polish something before letting others look. Ah... It just goes to any person btw, not just creators, there is a surprising amount of people afraid of being criticized, i don't understand why? I know it feels bad to listen all the negative things, but once the dust settles, you can find a way to improve youreslf, isn't it great?

Liked the relationship between Store owner and George, they go way back, and he is the one who introduced owner to games, so he is indirectly responsible for Midori being sucked in games now right? So everything is connected, noone would be playing games without George.
Everyone else < Miki Aya < Midori < Midori's brother < Store owner < George
Cool when you think about it.

Good to see that the store owner is a nice guy who didnt want to hurt Midori's feeling with the harsh truth about her hiding her work and being glad that George did the hard job of telling the harsh truth.

Gotta like the moment when Midori received the suggestions for her game from her friends and she went all depressing. "How did i not think of this"

Emilia telling her dad: "dad, maybe its you who got worse at the game" after he complimented her, was really hilarious, hah...
Dec 26, 2019 5:11 AM

Jun 2013
The part with german conversation at the beginning really confused me. Then neither in Jap Dub nor Eng Dub they speak german.

I'm glad to see that Midori is work g hard for her game and she got a push in the right direction. I bet the 2 girls are going to make a wonderful game together ♡
Apr 13, 2020 12:15 PM

Jul 2015
I always find it interesting that authors of the source material coming up with a totally new thing and let his characters be the ones to invent it. Like how they let Midori think up her own game because she wants to be a gamemaker, that really requieres some creativity.

Aug 3, 2020 4:36 AM

Nov 2013
Best episode so far.
I'm in love with Midori character. In this episode she is realistically going through all the stages of creaton: anger, fear, self-pity, confusion, hope and finally determination.
This is wholesome story of one artist and any creative person can relate with her story.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2019

29 by AdamSylph »»
Oct 1, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

44 by AdamSylph »»
Sep 24, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2019

37 by AdamSylph »»
Sep 20, 6:29 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2019

44 by AdamSylph »»
Sep 13, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2019

55 by AdamSylph »»
Sep 10, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.