Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2018 8:44 AM
Apr 2017
Though I haven't watched the anime nor read the manga yet, just the existence of this manga astounds me and gives me hope for more westerners to enter the manga in field in the near future. But something bugs me.

Even though it's an official manga, officially published in Japan and originally for a Japanese audience, why isn't the manga on MyAnimeList? Is it because the creator is French? That he isn't Japanese? Is that the only reason why it isn't deemed an actual manga by the biggest anime website in the west? This really bugs me.
Oct 13, 2018 12:14 PM

Dec 2009
Nope they won't add it to the database because it's not made by a japanese author... and I know it sounds dumb as fuck ... and it is actually.
Oct 13, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
I think this is because the creator is a Westerner. You can find manhua and manhwa by respectively Chinese and Korean creators on MAL. MAL only cares about Asian comics (and imho that's pretty stupid in the case of a western comic that follows the manga codes, thus being a manga, even if a western one).
Oct 13, 2018 1:25 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
The manga is already in the database.
Oct 13, 2018 1:35 PM

Dec 2009
It's not. Only the anime is on the database.
Oct 15, 2018 5:36 PM

Sep 2011
It's weird not seeing the manga entry here even though it got licensed/published in Japan since 2016...
We Were Here, Two Thousand Years Ago
Oct 16, 2018 12:19 AM

Dec 2009
Rionada_Jackie said:
It's weird not seeing the manga entry here even though it got licensed/published in Japan since 2016...
It's not a japanese manga so "it don't follow the guidelines for the database"... basically the answer I got when I tried to add the manga entry.
Oct 16, 2018 8:14 AM

May 2009
It's a french comic book so of course it shouldn't be here. Doesn't matter if it's monochrome like manga.
Oct 16, 2018 8:20 AM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:
It's a french comic book so of course it shouldn't be here. Doesn't matter if it's monochrome like manga.

It IS a manga, though, all the panels have been thought out like a mangaka would do (pacing and staging them), thinking the way the reader will read it the most efficient way and also Tony does a great job thinking how the panels are composed and it was made to be read like a manga (from right to left). So even if it's made by a french it IS a manga. Just like anyone can do a BD/Comics/Visual Novel by applying the "rules" of this medium.
Also the art is more gorgeous than what most mangaka does (*cough cough*, Hunter x Hunter *cough cough*) and I found it way better than most shonen mangas (both in art and story) and the releases are now more similar to a japanese manga than other famous manga (*cough cough* Berserk, *cough cough* Hunter x Hunter *cough cough*).
Batora07Oct 16, 2018 8:26 AM
Oct 16, 2018 8:39 AM

May 2009
Batora07 said:
bastek66 said:

It IS a manga, though, all the panels have been thought out like a mangaka would do (pacing and staging them), thinking the way the reader will read it the most efficient way and also Tony does a great job thinking how the panels are composed and it was made to be read like a manga (from right to left). So even if it's made by a french it IS a manga. Just like anyone can do a BD/Comics/Visual Novel by applying the "rules" of this medium.
Also the art is more gorgeous than what most mangaka does (*cough cough*, Hunter x Hunter *cough cough*) and I found it way better than most shonen mangas (both in art and story) and the releases are now more similar to a japanese manga than other famous manga (*cough cough* Berserk, *cough cough* Hunter x Hunter *cough cough*).

All your arguments are worthless because Radiant is still a french comic book and not japanese comic book.
Also how is it published in France? In weekly/monthly magazine and then collected in volumes or already in volumes?
Oct 16, 2018 8:57 AM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:
Batora07 said:

All your arguments are worthless because Radiant is still a french comic book and not japanese comic book.
Also how is it published in France? In weekly/monthly magazine and then collected in volumes or already in volumes?

It releases on tankonbon (directly on manga volumes) every three months or so. And no, my arguments are not "worthless". But after checking the english wikipedia page for "manga" I understand where the problem is, the definition of manga is veeeery different from a langage to another it seems.

I'll translate this, but put the original page in spoiler tag so that you could check by yourself if you want.
"A manga (漫画) is a comic book with a japanese style.

The word « manga » is sometimes used to indicate a non-japanese comic book made with the same codes that most famous japanese productions or to name other visual products that reminds of those comic books (anime, graphic artwork, etc)."

And in France we totally view mangas like this, some people even name animes as "manga".

Whereas the english page in wikipedia tells us this :
"Manga (漫画 Manga) are comics created in Japan or by creators in the Japanese language, conforming to a style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.[1] They have a long and complex pre-history in earlier Japanese art.[2]

The term manga (kanji: 漫画; hiragana: まんが; katakana: マンガ; listen (help·info); English: /ˈmæŋɡə/ or /ˈmɑːŋɡə/) in Japan is a word used to refer to both comics and cartooning. "Manga" as a term used outside Japan refers to comics originally published in Japan.[3]"

This tells us quite the opposite, but like I mentionned, Tony Valente definitely uses the tools (pencils, pen, toning) and conforms to the codes of the shonen manga style, so it was worth mentionning since this means it can also be called "manga" since it IS intrinsically a Manga as a medium.
Batora07Oct 16, 2018 9:04 AM
Oct 16, 2018 9:59 AM

May 2009
Batora07 said:
bastek66 said:

It releases on tankonbon (directly on manga volumes) every three months or so. And no, my arguments are not "worthless". But after checking the english wikipedia page for "manga" I understand where the problem is, the definition of manga is veeeery different from a langage to another it seems.

I'll translate this, but put the original page in spoiler tag so that you could check by yourself if you want.

The word « manga » is sometimes used to indicate a non-japanese comic book made with the same codes that most famous japanese productions or to name other visual products that reminds of those comic books (anime, graphic artwork, etc)."

And in France we totally view mangas like this, some people even name animes as "manga".

"Manga (漫画 Manga) are comics created in Japan or by creators in the Japanese language, conforming to a style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.[1] They have a long and complex pre-history in earlier Japanese art.[2]

The term manga (kanji: 漫画; hiragana: まんが; katakana: マンガ; listen (help·info); English: /ˈmæŋɡə/ or /ˈmɑːŋɡə/) in Japan is a word used to refer to both comics and cartooning. "Manga" as a term used outside Japan refers to comics originally published in Japan.[3]"

This tells us quite the opposite, but like I mentionned, Tony Valente definitely uses the tools (pencils, pen, toning) and conforms to the codes of the shonen manga style, so it was worth mentionning since this means it can also be called "manga" since it IS intrinsically a Manga as a medium.

Just because people call it like this doesn't mean they are right. Shitload of people call 'shounen' a genre when it's demographics of manga.
Oct 16, 2018 10:08 AM

Dec 2009
bastek66 said:
Batora07 said:

Just because people call it like this doesn't mean they are right. Shitload of people call 'shounen' a genre when it's demographics of manga.

Just because you don't call it like that doesn't mean you're right either. Also Shonen, even if it referers to "young boys" IS a genre with many subgenre (nekketsu, Gakuen, mecha etc...) that targets young audience.
Oct 16, 2018 11:06 AM

May 2009
Batora07 said:
bastek66 said:

Just because you don't call it like that doesn't mean you're right either. Also Shonen, even if it referers to "young boys" IS a genre with many subgenre (nekketsu, Gakuen, mecha etc...) that targets young audience.

Good that MAL's decision is correct.
NO, it's not a genre. It doesn't specify anything about the plot. Mecha manga can be published in seinen magazine, it's not exclusive to shounen magazines.
Oct 16, 2018 12:09 PM
Apr 2017
Even though some would say that MyAnimeList is defining Manga with the use of the English definition, it still doesn't explain the fact that in the Radiant Anime profile it on this website, it officially states that it's source material IS a Manga. Not a comic like the Urahara anime , but a MANGA. On this website, they are defining the Radiant source as a MANGA, so why isn't the said MANGA on this Website?? Now I'm even more bugged.
Oct 17, 2018 12:27 AM

Sep 2011
Batora07 said:
Rionada_Jackie said:
It's not a japanese manga so "it don't follow the guidelines for the database"... basically the answer I got when I tried to add the manga entry.

Bummer :( I just want a place to document/brag about my progress lol. It's a great manga regardless of whether mal adds it or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We Were Here, Two Thousand Years Ago
Oct 17, 2018 6:05 AM
Sep 2017
Rionada_Jackie said:
Batora07 said:

Bummer :( I just want a place to document/brag about my progress lol. It's a great manga regardless of whether mal adds it or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree with this point : Radiant is a very great manga
Oct 17, 2018 12:48 PM

Dec 2009
Rionada_Jackie said:
Batora07 said:

Also it would have been cool to have a place where we could discuss about the manga and share our theories or our feelings about latest chapters since there isn't much forums where people can discuss like this about Radiant. I joined a discord of fans but discord isn't great to follow large topics of multiple pages if you're not able to see the chat in live and if you're too lazy to scroll 6000 times to read previous posts.

Because right now we're polluating the anime forums with tons of spoilers + rants that anime-only people don't really want to see :P
Apr 10, 2020 6:13 PM

Nov 2014
so Radiant can't be added cause it's a french manga (or 'comic' as MAL called it)? that's weird, cause Cirque Du Freak (https://myanimelist.net/manga/6140/Darren_Shan) is in the database and it's a manga/Irish comic based on a novel series. and it's listed as "manga". the only difference is that the artist for Cirque Du Freak is japanese, so despite the story's author is Irish, just because the art is drawn by a japanese it got added into the database. that's totally not fair.
ttcchenApr 10, 2020 6:18 PM
Feb 2, 2021 9:17 AM
May 2016
In the same way that you will not find here the book Anne of Green Gables that was adapted in the anime Akage no Anne.
Mar 9, 2021 2:46 AM

Dec 2011
Basically no because of some kind of mega gatekeeping they do here where they like to pretend that they are the ultimate authority in what can and can't be considered a manga or anime. It's also worth mentioning the rules get bent when the ones running the site decide it's ok
May 6, 2021 2:20 PM
Dec 2018
nonstopfox said:
Basically no because of some kind of mega gatekeeping they do here where they like to pretend that they are the ultimate authority in what can and can't be considered a manga or anime. It's also worth mentioning the rules get bent when the ones running the site decide it's ok

Wait, what are examples of rules being bent?
May 6, 2021 2:20 PM
Dec 2018
nonstopfox said:

Wait, what are examples of rules being bent?
May 6, 2021 11:34 PM

Dec 2011
Wait, what are examples of rules being bent?[/quote]

For one, solo leveling is listed on the site but that's a Korean webcomic.
That alone should mean that manga like radiant could be listed as exceptions also and it certainly has had the request to do so be asked by plenty of users, but they've denied it under the reason that it's not a "japanese made manga". Not my words, that's the legitimate answer they gave.
May 8, 2021 3:43 AM

Oct 2014
Saying its "not a manga" but also allowing Tower of God is weird.
MAL added tons of manhwa to the database.
If they can add manhwa they can add manfra.
Its the same exact thing its just made in another country thats why they have not added it.
Weird reasons that dont really make any sense to anyone.
May 28, 2022 1:22 AM

Nov 2016
Batora07 said:
Nope they won't add it to the database because it's not made by a japanese author... and I know it sounds dumb as fuck ... and it is actually.

Want a dumber thing ? I tried to add entry for mangas "Leviathan" and "Tsugumi Project" that are made by japanese authors but only publish in france. and they've got rejected ! because "it is an Original English Language (OEL)/Original Foreign Language (OFL)".
Even if Ippatu and Kuroi Shiro are japanese. Probably the same for Beyond the clouds by Nicke that I haven't seen in the database.

ttcchen said:
so Radiant can't be added cause it's a french manga (or 'comic' as MAL called it)? that's weird, cause Cirque Du Freak (https://myanimelist.net/manga/6140/Darren_Shan) is in the database and it's a manga/Irish comic based on a novel series. and it's listed as "manga". the only difference is that the artist for Cirque Du Freak is japanese, so despite the story's author is Irish, just because the art is drawn by a japanese it got added into the database. that's totally not fair.

ah yes... So it's literally if the moderators feel like it or not. fully arbitrary.
Jul 4, 2022 6:07 PM
Jan 2020
Even in Anilist, they dont have Radiant manga in their Data base👁-👁
Mehehehee
Sep 25, 2022 9:05 PM
May 2016
i mean its published in japan and approved by japanese people
what wrong with that ?
xDDDD ????
ok let me read the condition thing first
well no
okay for me its a win anyway
because that situation made Radiant more "special" and it made me care more about the serie which is a win too
i'm gonna go watch everything
DelfatimeSep 25, 2022 9:22 PM
Nov 6, 2022 12:55 PM

Jun 2009
bastek66 said:
Dude it got an anime from a japanese studio with jp seiyuu's, it's more manga than some of the hentai doujins that got an entry on MAL. You're speaking out of your ass here.
Nov 7, 2022 1:28 AM

May 2009
Mitsuru-Senpaii said:
bastek66 said:
Dude it got an anime from a japanese studio with jp seiyuu's, it's more manga than some of the hentai doujins that got an entry on MAL. You're speaking out of your ass here.

Anime was produced by Japanese companies and aired in Japan first. It qualifies just like other western books adaptations like Moomins anime.
Comic book doesn't. Also how can you question hentai manga being manga?
Dec 5, 2022 6:38 AM

Jun 2009
bastek66 said:

Anime was produced by Japanese companies and aired in Japan first. It qualifies just like other western books adaptations like Moomins anime.
And this is proof you haven't read it, nor the slightest hint of idea what you're talking about. It ain't a comic or cartoon, and if you've read it you'd know. The fact that a Japanese studio decided it's manga enough, yet you gatekeeping westerners think it's not manga enough speaks volumes. Manga from Korea, China and even Taiwan are manga enough, even Elfenlied which looks like a 10yo has drawn it is Manga enough, so the fault really lies with you elitist gatekeepers.

Also take TTGL out of your signature, you're not worth it lmao.

Also also, most Hentai are Doujinshi, not Manga. Self published "comic books" that don't get released in a magazine weekly or monthly. but get sold on conventions or on the internet. Get your facts straight, you've claimed Radiant isn't a manga since it's not published weekly or monthly in a magazine, so my counter argument is: Neither are hentai doujinshi.
ScrewFictionDec 5, 2022 6:41 AM
Dec 5, 2022 2:09 PM

May 2009
Mitsuru-Senpaii said:
bastek66 said:

And this is proof you haven't read it, nor the slightest hint of idea what you're talking about. It ain't a comic or cartoon, and if you've read it you'd know. The fact that a Japanese studio decided it's manga enough, yet you gatekeeping westerners think it's not manga enough speaks volumes. Manga from Korea, China and even Taiwan are manga enough, even Elfenlied which looks like a 10yo has drawn it is Manga enough, so the fault really lies with you elitist gatekeepers.

Also take TTGL out of your signature, you're not worth it lmao.

Also also, most Hentai are Doujinshi, not Manga. Self published "comic books" that don't get released in a magazine weekly or monthly. but get sold on conventions or on the internet. Get your facts straight, you've claimed Radiant isn't a manga since it's not published weekly or monthly in a magazine, so my counter argument is: Neither are hentai doujinshi.

So much stupidity in this post. Holy shit.

All manga are comics. All anime are cartoons.
Radiant is french comic that got anime adaptation. Hence it's anime but not manga because it wasn't published in Japan originally.
Being manga enough doesn't mean shit - Super Crooks is american capeshit that also got anime adaptation and there nothing manga-like in original.
No! Korea has manhwa and China has manhua. Deal with it.
Artstyle of Elfen Lied really looks shitty compared to Parallel Paradise but it doesn't change that it was manga.

I will never remove that sig.

Another bunch of stupid takes: There is no data on percentage of all hentai are from magazines and doujinshi. Many of them never left Japan in either legal or pirate way. Doujinshi ARE MANGA, because their authors are (usually) Japanese people. Doujinshi only means self-published.
Radiant isn't self-published. It's published by French company Ankama and created by Tony Valente. Which is why it's not manga - it's not released there originally. While doujinshis are.
Dec 12, 2022 6:08 AM

Jun 2009
I don't got time for this kindergarten shit, but I'll let you know that mangas and animes from China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand etc are also on MAl even tho they're not from Japan. Quite a shock, isn't it?
One of your useless arguments was that Radiant doesn't qualify because it isn't serilized in a weekly or monthly magazine — well I got a newsflash: Hentai Doujinshi aren't either, yet they get entrys on MAL. This reeks of elitism and nothing else.
Jan 10, 2023 11:48 PM

Oct 2017
MAL logic straight up doesn't make sense. If they only allowed "Manga" or "Anime" it would be one thing, but the fact that they started allowing both Chinese and Korean comics and shows at some point, just further makes their gatekeeping look dumber. Manfra is closer to Manga than Chinese or Korean comics are, yet it's not allowed on here. To further prove MAL's stupidity, they have The Journey on here, which is a film Toei made in collaboration with Saudi Arabia, but they don't have Neo Yokio which was made by both Studio Deen and Production I.G.
May 27, 2023 4:53 AM
Sep 2022
Batora07 said:

thats very hypocritical Because stan Lee isn't japanese either yet his manga is listed
Oct 5, 6:49 PM
Feb 2010
Man stumbled upon this funny thread and all I have to say to everyone arguing about Stan Lee manga vs Radiant being on mal is I'm glad you don't work as a fact checker because it literally takes 2 seconds to realize why this is. Guess everyone threw common sense out the window before even trying to blame MAL for anything. Ultimo is literally published by shueisha guess figuring that out was too hard for people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Radiant Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2019

24 by ZiedBnHfsia »»
Sep 2, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2019

19 by ZiedBnHfsia »»
Sep 2, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2019

33 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 7, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

37 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 5, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

29 by dark_spirit010 »»
Mar 12, 5:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.