Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 29, 2016 6:42 AM

Jan 2013
I hardly ever rant about a recap type episode or any episode that is plain terrible but I just have to. The entire episode is terrible even for a recap and although the character interaction was nice it went out the window once I started seeing what was being put. It's like they were not even trying much to me even with the 4th wall nonsense or I just felt it was incredibly stupid. Seriously, this was the episode that anime news was reporting on?

Instead of giving us what Sakamoto is up to or if he has truly passed away to give some much needed closer to the entire series to both anime only and manga readers they give us this crap... way to blow it.
Sep 29, 2016 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
Everyone in the class really misses Sakamoto-kun!
5/5!
8/10.

Sep 30, 2016 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
This episode is slightly better than what I expected. The NASA scenes is the best part of this episode in my opinion.
Sep 30, 2016 9:41 AM

Nov 2015
The Studio be like "We're gonna be coolest like Sakamoto.
We'll add the same concept 3 times throughout the episode.
We'll have a shitty recap for half the episode.
And we'll add the same coolness of Sakamoto through a third degree of Fourth Wall breaking."

Nice touch Deen. You totally redeemed yourself.
Sep 30, 2016 10:19 AM

Dec 2014
The movie ideas in the starting segment reminded me so much of that one Gintama episode where they do the same thing. XD We even had Tomokazu Sugita on commentary for that matter XD

American version of Sakamoto was funny, 'Masa desu ga' XD Them Lincoln references though.

The rocket thing at the end was pretty awesome. Nice way to send off the series.
Sad to see 'I'm Sakamoto' become 'I was Sakamoto'. :(

8/10
Oct 1, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
So does that ending means Sakamoto is in the stars now? (dead)...
They never answered that question...
The name of the episode makes me think that he is dead and also in the episode, they talked sometimes about him like if he is dead :/
But i believe that everything is ok with him because he is Cool, Cooler, and the Coolest xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 1, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
Sabrael said:
I wasn't the first person to notice this so I can't take credit here, but look at the New title... This shows that Sakamoto is probably dead.

This made me a bit sad but not as sad with what a waste of potential this episode turned out to be. I really could care less about everyone's different fantasies about what Sakamoto is doing. Instead, I was hoping to see him alive in a hospital and doing something himself to make a difference in other peoples lives like he used to. That would have been a more sincere way to end this fantastic Anime instead of these random snippets.

Couldn't have agreed more :/ They never said if he was alive or not...
And it wasn't necessary at all to waste the episode with his classmates fantasies about what he is doing.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 2, 2016 7:22 AM

Oct 2014
this was a waste of time
Oct 6, 2016 2:41 PM

Jun 2016
watched it as background to other stuff, but nonsensical eps like that is sth I'm fine with anyways. it's even more random than the main series :)
Oct 8, 2016 10:16 AM
Dec 2014
silverwalls said:
a bit disappointing that this episode was mostly recaps, but it was still pretty funny. i liked how they played like every american stereotype ever in one of the fantasies lol

Agreed! A bit of a let down to see recaps for half an episode...

On a different note, i do think he died cause the title was changed to "I was Sakamoto" at a certain point during the anime. Plus, just the whole "i wonder how he is doing now" thing. The news paper photo could have been the last thing he did to make them feel okay. I dunno...
Oct 8, 2016 10:19 AM
Dec 2014
Sabrael said:
I wasn't the first person to notice this so I can't take credit here, but look at the New title... This shows that Sakamoto is probably dead.

This made me a bit sad but not as sad with what a waste of potential this episode turned out to be. I really could care less about everyone's different fantasies about what Sakamoto is doing. Instead, I was hoping to see him alive in a hospital and doing something himself to make a difference in other peoples lives like he used to. That would have been a more sincere way to end this fantastic Anime instead of these random snippets.

i completely agree with you on both! You've just expressed what i was thinking in a much better way
Oct 8, 2016 10:33 AM
Dec 2014
hisokathebutcher said:
Lararin said:
The way Sakamoto’s classmates imagine NASA and Mars really shows what a small world they live in, they can only imagine the same thing as their class ;) But it also shows how much they love Sakamoto too.

Of course the noses on the classmates when they were “americans” is offensive but that joke is used a lot in Japan so I’m not surprised. It’s really not funny though.

I was kind of hoping this OVA would address something regarding the theory of Sakamoto having an incurable disease but I guess that would be too depressing. Sakamoto saluting as he blasts off to Mars is a much more fitting ending to the show.

They start imagining about him going to mars ,after the girl brought the newspapaer with sakamoto on one of the building in america (nyc to be exact ). It might be canon , since the newspaper was real .

Also the theory showed that his calssmates including the fat kid ( kubota ?) knew that he was dying , if that the case , then how come they are wondering where is he ? acchan said " so he truly went to america " .

I think even more that the news paper was something Sakamoto-kun planned ahed to make them worry less, because Auchan said what he said. That was Sakamoto's point, to convince them he's okay and make up a story about him in their heads, so that they could all live happily ever after. I think that the title "I was Sakamoto" pretty much sets all the dots above the i. Plus, when someone dies people say "he/she is a better place now", which is why the kids were saying "i wonder where he is/how he is doing now"...
Oct 9, 2016 3:46 AM

Sep 2015
This brings decent closure to the series. Supports the dying theory while maintaining its comedy roots. It surprised me that it was on Crunchyroll. Forgot they were releasing this. 8/10
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Oct 9, 2016 4:13 AM
Jul 2016
Were Morita and Yasuda even in the original series, I don't remember them at all.
Oct 9, 2016 3:54 PM

Jun 2010
I always thought Sakamoto would work in NASA. :D
Episode was alright.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2016 7:52 PM

Jul 2015
Eh I thought it was gonna be all trailer fantasies through the whole special, good thing it wasn't.
That "I was Sakamoto" seems to back up the Sakamoto is dying/dead theory, but that ending didn't seem like any of the students fantasies so I'm just gonna take that as the actual ending and forget about the dying theory.
Oct 14, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2012
A bit disappointed that nothing really happens in this episode, they were just speculations of his classmates. The first part reminded me a lot Gintama, it was fun to see all this trailers, but the best part was in the "Maza". Japanese Guy was perfect as usual ^^

I found interesting that they changed the title, depending on the interpretation it can supports the dying theory.
Oct 20, 2016 9:31 AM

May 2016
Apart from Sakamoto going to space, this was basically a recap episode. Fortunately, I wanted to see Sakamoto since I've missed him so.

Seeing different renditions of the series was fun. MASA engrish is so American-jin~

That title change was tragic. Even if you're on the way to terraform Mars (I hope he's not dead), you'll always be in our hearts and souls, Sakamoto-kun.

Oct 20, 2016 7:48 PM
Dec 2014
"Eh thats it?" was the reaction I had when it suddenly ended. I expected bit more then a recap episode + fantasies from the last episode.

Was quite boring compared to the previous 12 epsisodes.
Oct 26, 2016 1:42 AM

Mar 2012
Well, that was disappointing. Only part that actually made me laugh was the hot dog skit. I thought there was actually some material they left out from the manga but from reading the comments it turns out to have been an anime original epilogue which explains why this was mostly recaps and reused skits.

Ray_Light said:
What is this?
Gintama?
Gintama movie preview??
Without Kugimi and SakaDai? xD

First thing that came to mind, especially when they said the producers would get mad at them if they kept going with the movie skit. Best part is that Gintoki is technically there ;)
Oct 26, 2016 4:45 AM

Jul 2014
When this episode first showed the scenes in NASA I actually thought "OMG at least Sakamoto is all right!" but then it turns out it was just his old classmates' wishful thinking. This was a fun episode though, even if a chunk of it was mostly recaps. Just wish they showed how Sakamoto is actually doing.

. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Oct 31, 2016 4:50 AM

Mar 2015
That was funny, I definitely missed this show, Sakamoto's humour isn't quite like any other series, that's for sure!

7/10, S2 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 1, 2016 3:35 AM

Aug 2015
Except the end the rest completely annoyed me. :/
Dec 2, 2016 12:20 AM

Oct 2015
The special was great because it gave us closure and conclusion to what happened to Sakamoto and his friends. Loved how he became his usual self and overturn a dire situation into a more splendid one by using that Secret technique: Cursive style to save that rocket while writing his name. I will miss him really.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 2, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2013
This episode is 80% recycled scenes. Disappointing :/
Dec 11, 2016 7:40 PM

Aug 2014
So does this throw the Sakamoto dying theories out of the window or what? lol

They tried to pull a Gintama in the beginning of this episode but it didn't quite worked out. Overall this special was pretty disappointing tbh.
Dec 21, 2016 4:04 PM

Dec 2015
I would definitely watch if a movie came out.

The American parody was the best part lol
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 23, 2016 9:22 AM

Sep 2015
Was kinda disappointed in this but good to see Sakamoto again. The Sera movie idea reminded me of my Sera X Yagi ship after the school race.
Dec 26, 2016 5:38 PM

Jul 2009
Finally was able to watch this. Yeah, it's basically a recycled storyline from first few episodes. Even same dialogue etc.

Lol at the movie making. Even Mars, Aliens are jealous of Sakamoto XD

It's kinda weird seeing those westerners with fake noses. Lol wtf.

I actually think the last bit was canon. And the reason why he's going to mars since he's disease has probably progress worse, so why not use his little life to go to mars and do research there.

Sad, but I guess this is the end of Sakamoto.
Jan 13, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2012
This ova while being pretty nice to see again, it was mostly just a recap. In general not all that bad in how they did this last unaired episode I must say!
Mar 8, 2017 6:09 AM

Feb 2016
Sakamoto SERVED those Yankees!!
Jun 8, 2017 12:04 PM

Sep 2013
Reminiscing about sakamoto in movie style and his NASA school life :)
I think he's alive :'(
Jul 22, 2017 6:41 PM

Dec 2015
fuark, that was so... fabulous, really, I almost cried while watching this.. I gave the series a 8 but I couldn't stop myself from giving that OVA a 10, I don't get why its low-rated here.. That was so good that I'm almost motivated to get into studying
Aug 1, 2017 2:39 PM
Nov 2009
Good depiction of Americans, I guess.
Jan 12, 2018 5:27 PM

Sep 2013
Meh...this episode was ok...not great though.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 26, 2018 2:16 PM

Jul 2012
pretty funny overall
Feb 13, 2018 4:39 PM
Absolute Zenith

Mar 2016
The American version of class 1-2 is hilarious. Especially their weird nose and their perfect ENGRISH! "God*amn! Famous quote this episode: God**amn! F**k you! Son of a b*tch!

So was the part about Captain Sakamoto going to Mars real or just an imagination? If that launch is real then... Sakamoto is the cool, cooler, coolest guy as usual! a nice extra conclusion to Sakamoto Desu ga?

Some ramblings about rockets:
Why is Sakamoto in a Delta IV rocket WITH DEM SMALL BOOSTERS? They should've used Delta IV heavy with a BIG booster! Or even better, wait for the (B.F.R.) Big Falcon Rocket by SpaceX!
ShadowkillZFeb 13, 2018 4:47 PM
Sep 27, 2018 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
Sakamoto left Earth cause he literally doesn't belong in this planet
Mar 8, 2019 9:34 PM
Jan 2017
interesting ending .. yeah sakamoto going to MASA
Oct 3, 2019 12:39 PM

Sep 2019
Is it a recap? lol the ending got me sakamoto fly to the Mars *bro won't you gonna dock to the space station for refueling XD
Nov 13, 2019 6:56 AM
Aug 2019
Title card during opening theme: Haven't You Heard? I *Was* Sakamoto
Me: *crying loudly*
Dec 21, 2019 9:06 AM

Feb 2019
Lol the first half of the episode kinda reminded me of Gintama's movie 2 fake promotion, and that catching of hotdog though loved it great ep
Mar 30, 2020 1:32 PM

Mar 2020
Wow this was awful, and that Gintama reference was just not funny.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 18, 2020 1:12 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
What a crafty episode, I loved how similar each one's depiction is, the Nasa desu ga was hilarious
Aug 5, 2020 11:15 PM

May 2020
My Husbando isn't dead because of ill. He flew to America and working on Nasa. Pretty nice ending. First half episode is an preview and what 1-2 classmate Sakamoto's imagining about him and the rest was still so fun. Happy ending I guess.
Sep 30, 2020 8:01 PM

Nov 2010
I initially thought it was just gonna be a recap episode with a few new scenes, Im glad the rest of the episode was pretty funny. 7/10
Aug 16, 2022 8:19 AM

Oct 2015
So........ is he dead?
May 4, 2023 11:09 AM
Aug 2022
Masterpiece came to an end.
Jun 5, 2023 4:48 PM
Feb 2020
I just wanted to say how hilarious the depiction of America is in this special. Every single character except Sakamoto, the teacher, and one other woman have big noses and as an American I find that to be very funny. It's not every day we get to see other countries making (harmless) playful characterizations of Americans. And the bullies have the biggest noses of all XD

That being said, it looks like in this special not only does everyone believe that Sakamoto is in NASA, but Sakamoto himself is actually alive and on that rocket at the end. However, I have heard that, at least in the manga, Sakamoto dies after leaving school and he was making his trip to NASA a cover-up. However, I don't know if that's true or not. Still, this is a nice ending to the series.
Jan 14, 6:28 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well, I guess he went to America after all lol. I know this is anime original stuff so it’s technically not canon but it’s fun to imagine Sakamoto hitting it big with NASA, all the American stereotypes were very funny as well, I especially liked the three delinquents cursing randomly at the bar lol. And that final scene where Sakamoto somehow saved a space shuttle failure was quite amazing, I have no doubt Sakamoto would actually be able to pull that off lol.

And I enjoyed the first half even tho it was like a recap of sorts with each student’s own version of “Haven’t You Heard? I’m..” which took scenes we’ve seen before and put different spins on them, very funny stuff and a creative recap of sorts. And just like that, there’s no more episodes, this was a good way to bring the funny back after the emotional ending of the main show, even if it’s just this I’m glad there was a bit more Sakamoto to enjoy beyond the ending. Definitely a favorite anime series of mine now, I’m glad I finally experienced it after all this time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What chapters will be adapted in this OVA?

Oniifam_ - Jul 3, 2016

8 by Agra »»
Aug 31, 2016 12:03 AM

» Why is this a thing?

SevenSpeaks - Jul 3, 2016

11 by SomaHeir »»
Aug 5, 2016 7:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.