Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 20, 2016 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
Well, I think Joker game is well written enough.
The only thing that looks wrong to me now is my first points about the mistranslation, and this is the studio's mistake, not the novel's writer's
Apr 20, 2016 7:56 AM

Mar 2012
pteroz said:
zellami said:
@pteroz

He wasn't in Marseille during the episode, he simply entered from there. The Parisian accent detected by the trio implies Shimano spent a significant time in Paris. Given the capital was left without any defense and showing no resistance, he probably moved around Paris, trying to find the Resistance members who were his targets. Anyway, it more logical to look for resistance where the conflict is, than in an area that isn't invaded yet (I think).

Huh ... why did I even though it was in Marseille -_-

Also it is stated that the closest hideout is in chatillon, just an hour away by foot from where they are located. So considering this and his parisian accent it's safe to assume that he was in the northern part of france probably for quite a while.

when he said that japan was allying with germany i could only think of hetalia *’ω’*

Apr 20, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
_sakuJo_ said:
pteroz said:

Huh ... why did I even though it was in Marseille -_-

Also it is stated that the closest hideout is in chatillon, just an hour away by foot from where they are located. So considering this and his parisian accent it's safe to assume that he was in the northern part of france probably for quite a while.

when he said that japan was allying with germany i could only think of hetalia *’ω’*

ehhh paris accent does mean story happens in paris, and it's not like I (and all french people) know where Chatillon is located ...
But you got a point, I got confused somewhere in the thread. I first thought it was in Paris -_-' . I fucked up
Apr 20, 2016 8:02 AM

Apr 2012
>this thread

It's always surprising that some people are so used to certain historical representations (namely about languages) they think their conceited view should be absolute and transposed everywhere. Using extradiegetic dubbing instead of intradiegetic has been done before and elsewhere and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.
Apr 20, 2016 8:10 AM

Mar 2012
pteroz said:
I fucked up

no need to be so hard on yourself, we're just sharing opinions and pov's ^ω^

Apr 20, 2016 9:24 AM

Jan 2015
World War II Japanese Jason Bourne San.
Apr 20, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2016
Well, pretty simple episode, has some cheesy moments (amnesia, blank, quick recovery from that hit later...), overall seems to be tailored around characters by the author, not characters themselves, which is a standard problem in this kind of anime.
Lead is "meh", although clearly likeable for some... supporting characters, on the other hand, were ok.

Entertained, but not impressed by this series so far... decent 6/10 for this episode. Better than the first, worse than 2nd.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2016 10:01 AM

Jun 2013
that was epic it felt like i was watching a war movie
Apr 20, 2016 10:15 AM
May 2015
straggy said:
I couldn't stop laughing at that dramatic delivery of "France... is occupied by Germany!". Like wow, no, really?

Also why tf does Shimano look literally 12? It distracted me all episode.

Because maybe its Hatano.

Hatano (波多野)
The smallest member of D Agency. Amiable, but prideful; has a impertinent personality. Agile, a master of martial arts.
Apr 20, 2016 10:20 AM

Mar 2013
iKuroko said:
straggy said:
I couldn't stop laughing at that dramatic delivery of "France... is occupied by Germany!". Like wow, no, really?

Also why tf does Shimano look literally 12? It distracted me all episode.

Because maybe its Hatano.

Hatano (波多野)
The smallest member of D Agency. Amiable, but prideful; has a impertinent personality. Agile, a master of martial arts.

That still doesn't explain why he looks 12 lmao. No fully grown man looks 12, even if he is small.
Apr 20, 2016 10:44 AM

May 2015
The sudden transition to France felt kinda weird to me, but despite that, the episode was really interesting. So guess we will get to see the missions that the spies take from now on. Good episode.

Apr 20, 2016 11:03 AM

Oct 2014
straggy said:

That still doesn't explain why he looks 12 lmao. No fully grown man looks 12, even if he is small.

Look "grown man looking like a child" on google and check the news that report that there is indeed people that looks like child.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Apr 20, 2016 11:14 AM

Sep 2013
Even amnesia is no match for glorious nippon mind imprinting XD

It's understandable they sided with Germany, the US and the other countries are behind the whole war in the first place, Japan needed to teach them that they have bitten more than they could chew, which is why Japan got off so lightly after ww 2.
Apr 20, 2016 11:30 AM

Feb 2016
will we get 1 episode for each character? because that sounds interesting.
Apr 20, 2016 12:23 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Fai said:
Tokoya said:

Comments like these are bringing me back to the UBW days when @Fai got REKT constantly for his hilarious bias lol

Nice pointless cheerleading m8. Great value to discussion as always.

The only one "rekking" ignorant fanboys in UBW forums was and will always be me. Why am I not surprised you are cheer-leading a defense of yet another shoddily written show.

Here's some LOGIC to make your cheerleading fall apart -

The events happen in 1940 here.
The full France occupation was in 1942. The situations depicted here would not occur for two years as the start of the resistance was nothing like this.
The Germany declaring war on the britain that the dude talks about having happened "just the other day"? HAPPENS YEAR BEFORE HE EVEN GETS STATIONED IN FRANCE. In 1939. The show is off by freaking year.
The nationalistic pro-Germany sentiment was already VERY strong in Japan for a long time. Tripartite Pact should come as no surprise to the so called "Superspy" - he should not be shocked at it having happened, nor should he be thinking on why it happened or questioning it. Dude acts like its the most shocking news he ever heard. Especially since all of that is mainly an excuse for Japan to continue brutality in China and further the so called "greater east asia prosperity sphere" agenda by possibly squeezing out some benefits from Germany. I am scared to think on how would those writers portray things like Pearl Harbor.

That's not even talking about the inaccurate military uniforms in the supposed flashbacks, french people somehow speaking in Japanese, the completely and utterly ridiculous treatment of amnesia in this(amnesia does not work this way! Treating amnesia does not work this way!) or the fact that most of the things pulled in this episode would not even realistic work against trained soldiers.

As it stands its an innacurate pro-war fantasy show with bunch of sameface dudes who asspull nonsense and then grin at the camera asking for "a reaaaal mission" as a way to show how smart they are. Its okay to like it but it is nothing special and its full of holes - a show that tries to pretend it is smarter than it is. Its a shoddily written bottle episode with absolutely nothing to write home about.
I dunno mate....Looks like you're getting REKT quite nicely lol
Apr 20, 2016 12:54 PM

Nov 2012
I wish we'd get to know what ends up happening to those three people, like is her family going to die, are the two going to be a couple and what about the leftover leader?
Jaywalker.
Apr 20, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2014
i don't really like yuki kaji but his voice acting as hatano/shimano was amazing.

this anime makes me spend the whole episode just thinking about what's gonna happen, i love it.
Apr 20, 2016 1:47 PM

Feb 2015
like the episode alot. really enjoy it. great episode overall.
the most thing that i like from this episode is dust explosion, that is so simple but a rare sight. like it a lot. i like the first misson too that happened in this episode, something about German occupied France and stuff like that, some serious stuff, really like it a lot. and i didn't see that twist, the fact that the women was a spy from German, but that twist is still normal imo, that twist at the end, at the church. WTF was that old man doing in France LOL XD, that scene looked kinda cool to me :D

great episode.
looking foward for the next episode.
Apr 20, 2016 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty good episode, really was interesting at how he got through the situation and completed his mission. I'm guessing this will be episodic, showing each of their mission.

Apr 20, 2016 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
This anime turning to be much more than i expected, there quite some time i didn't see something interesting like this
removed-userApr 20, 2016 3:33 PM
Apr 20, 2016 4:59 PM

Sep 2012
I'm... not sure what to think of this. So it's gonna be an episodic spy-of-the-week show? That's not at all what I was expecting.
Apr 20, 2016 5:33 PM

Sep 2011
People getting too worked up over the dates and accuracy of history. The episode was really good imo. Don't really care if it's episodic, but like some people said, a real big story would be nice.
Apr 20, 2016 7:43 PM

Dec 2015
What's up with this chapter? I mean, it was ok... it was nice. But I find no connection between the 2 and 3.
Apr 20, 2016 9:04 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Historical inaccuracies? Don't be silly. This program is a work of fiction. Everything portrayed in it is unrelated to actual events. Right? Seriously... it could be an alternate timeline. Don't sweat the small stuff.

My rating goes up by 1 every episode. This is fast becoming my AOTS. Yeah, the amnesia thing is stupid, but it's been used so many times that it's a tried-and-true plot device, like it or not. The characterization, voice acting, art style... all fantastic.

But does Lt Yuuki remind anyone else of Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond? Wait... does anyone else here even remember Batman Beyond?
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Apr 20, 2016 11:55 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This episode was not as good as the last one unfortunately. Let's see how they cover the other historical events.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 21, 2016 12:51 AM

Aug 2015
It was very exciting to finally see a spy in action doing what he does best. I wonder if the rest of the episodes will have any strong overarching plot, or if they will all be individual missions featuring different characters? It would be cool to get to know them all.

I suppose the episodes just aren't long enough to fully flesh out the details of one entire mission, but I think it would have been cool to see how he actually got to France in the first place.

I'm very glad they did NOT try to speak French this episode AT ALL. If it ended up being like the English in the first two I would have died inside of cringe.

As long as the show keeps developing this concept, be it with one big story or episodically, I'll enjoy it thoroughly.
I'm excited to see how this develops.
whitherApr 21, 2016 12:56 AM
Apr 21, 2016 12:53 AM
Mar 2016
Why did he say that he wouldn't be able to use that identity anymore, though? He had a flashback of Alain while saying so.
Apr 21, 2016 1:43 AM
Nov 2015
i knew that was hatano because he sounded like Yūki Kaji senpai :D
Apr 21, 2016 3:01 AM
Jul 2013
Episode 1 and 2 was great. This episode is okay. I'm not fan of amnesia cliche. 3/5 for this.
Apr 21, 2016 3:22 AM
Apr 2016
Great episode! It's not so much of a mindf*ck but still my I was amazed at the turn of events. The episode was well-made and well-written. I can't wait to watch the next episode.
Apr 21, 2016 6:04 AM
Apr 2016
Tokoya said:
Fai said:

Nice pointless cheerleading m8. Great value to discussion as always.

The only one "rekking" ignorant fanboys in UBW forums was and will always be me. Why am I not surprised you are cheer-leading a defense of yet another shoddily written show.

Here's some LOGIC to make your cheerleading fall apart -

The events happen in 1940 here.
The full France occupation was in 1942. The situations depicted here would not occur for two years as the start of the resistance was nothing like this.
The Germany declaring war on the britain that the dude talks about having happened "just the other day"? HAPPENS YEAR BEFORE HE EVEN GETS STATIONED IN FRANCE. In 1939. The show is off by freaking year.
The nationalistic pro-Germany sentiment was already VERY strong in Japan for a long time. Tripartite Pact should come as no surprise to the so called "Superspy" - he should not be shocked at it having happened, nor should he be thinking on why it happened or questioning it. Dude acts like its the most shocking news he ever heard. Especially since all of that is mainly an excuse for Japan to continue brutality in China and further the so called "greater east asia prosperity sphere" agenda by possibly squeezing out some benefits from Germany. I am scared to think on how would those writers portray things like Pearl Harbor.

That's not even talking about the inaccurate military uniforms in the supposed flashbacks, french people somehow speaking in Japanese, the completely and utterly ridiculous treatment of amnesia in this(amnesia does not work this way! Treating amnesia does not work this way!) or the fact that most of the things pulled in this episode would not even realistic work against trained soldiers.

As it stands its an innacurate pro-war fantasy show with bunch of sameface dudes who asspull nonsense and then grin at the camera asking for "a reaaaal mission" as a way to show how smart they are. Its okay to like it but it is nothing special and its full of holes - a show that tries to pretend it is smarter than it is. Its a shoddily written bottle episode with absolutely nothing to write home about.

Bullshit, the guy you quoted actually has a point, not only were their historical inaccuracies but some of the inaccuracies only served to try to make Japan look like the good guys, like oh man we have to join the German side because the Western nations are so dirty mang, lets not mind the fact that the embargo that pushed Japan into attacking everyone was because Japan were already invading China to begin with.
Apr 21, 2016 6:13 AM

Feb 2016
NoobStomper said:
Tokoya said:

Bullshit, the guy you quoted actually has a point, not only were their historical inaccuracies but some of the inaccuracies only served to try to make Japan look like the good guys, like oh man we have to join the German side because the Western nations are so dirty mang, lets not mind the fact that the embargo that pushed Japan into attacking everyone was because Japan were already invading China to begin with.

You don't read the other post, do you ?
French viewer. Sorry for my bad english :) !
Apr 21, 2016 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
A bit dissapointed that this turned out to be an episodic series but nonetheless this was a great episode
Apr 21, 2016 12:52 PM

Jul 2011
As if history itself is recorded accurate. Okay then.

I think what the director is trying to do is to flesh out some backstory to the spies. I feel like it will all connect together in the end.

But honestly I loved it. Although I found it strange how Hatano (yes, I recognize that Kaji Yuki voice...) was surprised at the German-Japan alliance. He's a spy, not a citizen, and obviously has access to a lot of intel. Maybe he was surprised Germany didn't choose another country.

Hatano is/looks young (he is passing off as a student) so coupled with his height I guess people here think he looks like a kid.
I'm guess he's in his 20s. But he's also Asian, and sometimes Asians look (much) younger than they are. I don't know why people nitpick that.
Apr 21, 2016 4:08 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Isiniel said:
NoobStomper said:

You don't read the other post, do you ?
Clearly he didn't lol xD
Apr 21, 2016 4:55 PM
Apr 2016
No idea how accurate the science behind some of this episode was, but omfg if it isn't fun to see WWII picking up and some badassery from the spies >u<
Apr 21, 2016 11:10 PM

Feb 2012
I'm learning more in this thread than any other threads.

Great episode btw 5/5
Apr 21, 2016 11:46 PM

Sep 2011
I'm loving how historically accurate this show is. As much as I'm against what the Axis Powers did as countries during WWII it is kind of refreshing to see a more neutral, nuanced view on what happened.

Also, I don't speak French but based on some of the badly written English signs in other anime I'm totally willing to take your word that the French on that document was off.
Apr 21, 2016 11:47 PM

Sep 2014
Very good episode. I don't really have a problem if the show turns out to be episodic, but it would be nice if this show had a second cour that had a central story with all the characters, while the first cour is episodic, with each spy getting its own episode.
Apr 22, 2016 2:28 AM

Apr 2012
NoobStomper said:
Thanks for this post because it triggered me to re-read a history book called Japan, Past and Present by Reischauer. Somehow I had forgotten that pre-WWII Japan had devolved into a totalitarian state.
Apr 22, 2016 2:51 AM

Apr 2010
Okay, this episode confused me a bit. If feels like they ignored in a way everything that happened in the first two episodes. I mean, yes, he's still a spy, and there's still that Yuuki guy. But nothing about him moving there or what about Sakuma who had the focus in the two first episodes. If they're really just going to make an episode for each spy... than the first two epidosed aren't really in place, in my opinion. Yes, they show the background, but you get the wrong impression. If it's really gonna be an episode for each spy, I'll quit.

Apr 22, 2016 8:14 AM

Nov 2015
Another awesome episode. I'm glad this series does not disappoint.
This was an episode just for Shimano, and he just showed off, totaly. How he was able to complete the mission only using his subconscious upon the temporal amnesia was amazing. Nothing was given, the pacing was correct and they explain the things in the end, so we can understand how his criminal mind works as a spy.

The representation of "Shimano's" emotions, fear, doubt, instinct, etc in this episode were outstanding.
90 to 8 to 2.. wow...that's overwhelming. Now it comes the ugly part, where Japan joins Germany.
I would be interesting to see if this series reach 1945.

I won't say I knew the girl was up to something but she gave certain vibe. I was surprised but at the same time I said "Ah, of course she is".

I can only say I want more!

PD: The OP and ED are still good!

-"Who are you?"
-...!

―BTW guys, for the ones complaining about some degree of lack of consistency with real history, do I need to remember you guys there's a disclaimer in the beginning of the episode saying that work does not reflect entirely the true events?―
HumbertoZeroApr 22, 2016 8:36 AM
Apr 22, 2016 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
I can't really tell who is who amongst the characters so far, so this ep kinda fell on deaf ears for me in terms of impact but nevertheless it wad done really well.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 22, 2016 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
NoobStomper said:
Tokoya said:

First, that embargo happened in 1941, which doesn't concern the years (1939-1940) shown in this episode! Alts will be Alts, but the fail of watching the anime is still epic :D

Second, that embargo isn't the first economic sanction The US has issued on Japan before that time, with the US trying several times to limit Japan's expansion in the whole Pacific by using trade and industry as a means (or as the carrot and the stick, if you'd like).

Third, China has been losing territories, as well as economic, administrative, and political power to Japan since 1931. "Invading China in 1941 to begin with" basically lacks any understanding what first Korea and later China went through in these 10 years.

The Tripartite Pact legitimized politically Japan as one of the "pillars" of "the new world order" and turned the dirty Western countries' eye to where their dirty colonial politics and interests could have been seriously threatened. China's appeals were of little immediate importance to them, especially if they succeeded into pushing Japan against the Soviets. Japan turned against the US instead, happy to leave the latter to the Reich and quickly found a reason to keep the Americans busy for a while. Japan jumped on the bandwagon of the Nazis success during the first phase of the WWII, seriously miscalculating the winner that time, unlike during the WWI, and their own greed to dominate the southeast region in Asia. I can understand why Hatano was surprised - the indoctrination doesn't work when you begin to see the bigger picture, be it in the international political stage or in internal affairs.

The other reason Hatano was sent to France, might be indeed because of the German invasion - the collaborative government of Petain later would discard the established colonial regime in French Indo-China snd leave the airfields there to Japan's control.
Apr 22, 2016 5:40 PM
Apr 2016
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
I'm loving how historically accurate this show is. As much as I'm against what the Axis Powers did as countries during WWII it is kind of refreshing to see a more neutral, nuanced view on what happened.

Also, I don't speak French but based on some of the badly written English signs in other anime I'm totally willing to take your word that the French on that document was off.

The french was actually off, but french language is quite tough to write (the syllables that were wrong are sounds that don't exist in japanese, or punctuation they don't have). I think it's forgivable given the overall quality of the anime and the way the little occupied village is depicted, along with the characters and the backgrounds.
Apr 23, 2016 12:22 AM

Jul 2012
This episode was pretty cool. Only thing that bothered me was that the German soldiers conveniently gave them so much time to work with, especially even after the lights went out.

Looking forward to finding out more about the other characters and their missions though.
Apr 23, 2016 2:04 AM

Nov 2015
I liked Shimano in this episode, good amount of drama too.

Apr 23, 2016 3:46 AM

Dec 2010
I didn't expect this kind of episode, but it was really well done. I hope we'll get more of these.
Apr 23, 2016 9:36 AM

Apr 2015
Err OK episode, but they fed us the information and the premise a bit too much I think
Apr 24, 2016 6:33 PM
Nov 2015
It is good that this episode gave light to other D-Agency members. I don't know why, but I am not a big fan of how fast things transcended. I would give it a perfect five if it weren't for that. I feel like they didn't build up the tension on the things that are about to go wrong. Even so, I still loved the concept for the third episode. The idea of him going undercover as an exchange student to find out more about the Resistance was great. Looking forward for the next one because the anime seems to get better and better every week. ^ _ ^
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

155 by yveltalkyogre »»
Sep 25, 6:09 PM

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.