Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2015 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haven't seen the original Black Jack before but I thought it was kinda neat.

The OP theme song has medical themes in it and is catchy.
Is it just me or is he kinda ripped?

Thrilling episode overall. The show establishes the fact that something dangerous may happen from time to time to set up events. I like how the show has a sort of metaphor for Hazama's skills though. Nice episode. Enjoyable with its ideas~

What an OP song

ED theme is catchy too imo.
Oct 1, 2015 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah me neither I haven't seen original Black jack, but really enjoyable anime.
Looking forward for next episode

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 1, 2015 4:05 PM

Aug 2013
That's quite a good episode. I know there will be some "nice" shots of Kuroo but it's not really distracting as i had expected. I still need time to get used to bishounen Kuroo though lol

Next episode seems to have
Oct 1, 2015 5:23 PM

Apr 2011
I watched the raw (even tho I don't really understand japanese) because I was too anxious to see it, and it looks pretty cool! I wonder why there isn't a subbed version yet tho.
Oct 1, 2015 5:30 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
IIIIII AM JUST FEEEEELING ALIIIIIVE
*helicopters shooting peoples*
DatRandomDudeOct 1, 2015 5:34 PM
Oct 2, 2015 6:44 AM

Jul 2010
No sub? Git good. A raw anime for this poor fanime makes the subbers go WANNAME.
Oct 2, 2015 7:19 AM

Feb 2014
I love how Akio Ootsuka made a guest appearance as the narrator. He is actually the VA for the previous Black Jack anime.
Oct 2, 2015 12:44 PM
Apr 2014
When is Crunchyroll going to air YBJ?
Oct 2, 2015 1:36 PM
Sep 2013
AquaWateria said:

Most likely on Saturday, since some of the anime that are aired on the TBS network (like Young Black Jack or Dandelion) are always delayed.
Oct 2, 2015 3:11 PM

Jun 2014
MarkFlowers said:
AquaWateria said:

Most likely on Saturday, since some of the anime that are aired on the TBS network (like Young Black Jack or Dandelion) are always delayed.

It's airing tonight at 2am PST
Oct 2, 2015 3:19 PM
Apr 2014
Jerkhov said:
MarkFlowers said:

It's airing tonight at 2am PST

Simulcast on Saturdays 12:00am CDT
Oct 2, 2015 10:10 PM

Apr 2015
I LOLd when he ignored them.

This looks promising. Black Jack is pretty cool.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 2, 2015 10:32 PM

Dec 2014
So good.
Oct 2, 2015 10:40 PM
Jun 2013
Pretty good!!
Oct 2, 2015 10:48 PM

Jun 2014
I've never watched the original series, but this was amazing!

That father was just disgraceful, haggling over the price of his son's life!

Really liking Jack and the other characters in this episode!

Will definitely keep watching this one!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 2, 2015 10:53 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That dad was such an asshole. What sort of parent bargains over the price of his child's life? Even if the compensation was a bit too high, he wasn't being appreciative at all. >.<

Pretty decent start. Amidst the civil unrest, Hazama's journey to save lives should be an interesting one.

Oct 2, 2015 10:59 PM
Aug 2011
It's not like there was anything particularly exceptional but the time flew by while watching.
I enjoyed it.

DatRandomDude said:
IIIIII AM JUST FEEEEELING ALIIIIIVE
*helicopters shooting peoples*

I chuckled. Goddamit MADAO.
Oct 2, 2015 11:03 PM

Feb 2015
Wow, that was a really good 1st episode. Who knew a surgical operation could be so exciting lol.
Hazama is a really cool MC. It's amazing that was his first surgery. And he sure has a lot of scars.

The child's father pisses me off. He should have kept his word after Hazama did his best to save his son's life. I hope something bad happens to him.

SchwingBonerOct 2, 2015 11:08 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2015 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't watch the original Black Jack.

Hazama is a pretty cool guy.

The child's father did not kept his word after Hazama saved his child's life.
Oct 2, 2015 11:36 PM

Nov 2014
Haven't been on here for a long time. .-.

I'm one of those people who have seen the original Black Jack and I must say, for a new Black Jack series that has a rather different feeling from the original, it's actually quite good and I'm already in love with it! And I love the fact that they showed the manga version of the characters in ED. OP's great too.

It's not often you would see Kuro'o shirtless. XD

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 2, 2015 11:38 PM

Jun 2014
I never watched the original series, but this was a pretty decent start. Right away, we jumped straight into a surgical procedure. Hazama appears to be a damn good surgeon.

That scumbag father was so pathetic. Hazama just prevented your kid from becoming a full-on Edward Elric and you can't even hold up your end of the deal.

It looks like there will be some fanservice for the ladies in terms of Hazama's muscular and scarred body. I don't really care as long as it doesn't turn into a distraction like male-oriented fanservice. I also thought the OP and ED themes were pretty catchy.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 2, 2015 11:40 PM
Sep 2014
I watched Black Jack a few years back and forgot about this series. Honestly Young Black Jack gives me the same vibe when I first watched it then, never skipping a beat to keep me interested.

Oct 2, 2015 11:48 PM
Aug 2015
The OP song is very good, i love it.
The Art is amazing. Its a fresh start from the original. Its nice to see some classic return to the screen.
I'm kind of tired with the Harem, Knight Genre... etc.
I watched 2 previous Black Jack Series before, and read the manga too. But this new series is a brand new to me. Lots of untold story and background.
Definitely in my watch list this season.
Oct 2, 2015 11:59 PM

Apr 2015
That OP though!! Don't know anything about the original nor the manga but I'm sure as hell gonna watch this, looks very interesting
Oct 2, 2015 11:59 PM

Dec 2012
Really liking the OP song. ED song is pretty good as well.
Pretty cool seeing Hazama perform surgery.
Interested in seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 3, 2015 12:00 AM

Jan 2015
Seems like there are two different character design styles going on here.

I can FEEL the creators putting all their energy into making sure we know Black Jack is hot, its kind of ridiculous especially that 360 camera movement while he's changing LOL.

Why nobody told or helped that kid off his bike?

Well, either way I'm in for the ride so far...
Oct 3, 2015 12:17 AM

Jun 2015
Great start. Nice to see Black Jack gain.
Patient's dad was an ass but without having a license, i guess getting 500k is better than getting reported. Shame he got taken advantage of, but thats the way Law works :(
Can't wait for the next episode.

Oct 3, 2015 12:30 AM

Jan 2014

This fucking asshole...

Pretty good anime, I see great things to come :3
Oct 3, 2015 12:47 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
VanishingKira said:
Will this just be fujoshit or good like the old series?

I wonder.

I feel like you've been here long enough to know what that means. So far there's been no indication of a possible guy love interest for the female watchers. Unless you mean how Hazama and other male characters in the OP look like bishies or showing of Hazama's muscular body, because that alone has nothing to do with fujoshi. But yeah, who knows. Maybe one of the guys in the OP will make female fans ship him with Hazama, though as of now, I don't understand how you could come to such a hasty conclusion.

I don't have any experience with the original series either, but I found this to be a very engaging episode. Out of all the new series I've watched today, I think this is the only one where my eyes was glued to the screen and surprised when the episode ended. Hazama did an amazing job with his first surgery, one that the other doctor said was impossible. I liked how they showed Hazama shaking afterwards, I think that could be a realistic reaction for a first timer.

Passa said:
Seems like there are two different character design styles going on here.

That caught my attention too. I guess it's because the mangaka probably wanted to give tribute to Tezuka's style, which is nice.
Oct 3, 2015 12:47 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
DoctorWasabi said:

This fucking asshole...

Pretty good anime, I see great things to come :3

"next ep: Kids legs and arms shall be ripped off"
Oct 3, 2015 1:07 AM

Sep 2014
I haven't seen any of the original Black Jack stuff, but I heard this was a prequel and immediately wanted to jump on it. This episode was great. This was one of the few series I was excited for this season and it really paid off. I can't wait for more!

Since starting to read Franken Fran a while ago and now this, I think I'm beginning to develop a thing for scars.
Oct 3, 2015 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
Never watched the original series but I really really liked this.
Oct 3, 2015 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
Kid on tracks, loads of time to spare, no one just quickly ducks under the barrier and grabs him...
Those nipponjins really are sticklers for rules and red lights.
Oct 3, 2015 1:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That was pretty much exactly like the original Black Jack except here he was still just a student

Pretty good overall though
Oct 3, 2015 1:38 AM

Apr 2014
I just wanted to punch that dad in the end...
Oct 3, 2015 1:40 AM

Jul 2014
Definitely has potential. I can see a lot of things they kept from the older entries in the franchise. I was a little scared they'd make it shitty fujoshibait but my fears have been put to rest...for now.
Take care of yourself

Oct 3, 2015 1:41 AM
Jun 2014
Sangaz said:
Kid on tracks, loads of time to spare, no one just quickly ducks under the barrier and grabs him...
Those nipponjins really are sticklers for rules and red lights.

I was thinking the same.
Oct 3, 2015 1:43 AM

Oct 2014
Black jack is back after so many years!! This series is totally different than the original anime, but not in a bad way. A really nice first episode where we once again get to see Kuroo's amazing surgical skills.
why
Oct 3, 2015 1:56 AM

Aug 2008
Vindstot said:
That dad was such an asshole. What sort of parent bargains over the price of his child's life? Even if the compensation was a bit too high, he wasn't being appreciative at all. >.<

Pretty decent start. Amidst the civil unrest, Hazama's journey to save lives should be an interesting one.

Yeah, that dad, just because he was saved, it is like, I have nothing to lose since you already did it for me. Asking for something for a high price and then when it comes down to paying, ends up not following through.
Oct 3, 2015 2:12 AM

Jun 2014
Amazing anime, reminds me so much of the OVA's. The TV series, seemed too childish to me. But this is great quality. From start to finish. It brings me great joy to see that Osamu Tezuka's characters are coming back to life. Ootsuka Akio as always is OP as the narrator. God DAMN can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 3, 2015 2:28 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Man this was pretty good lol, I've never seen any other material from this series so I'm hoping that I won't be hindered in any way

OP is way too catchy, I love it xD
Oct 3, 2015 3:05 AM

Sep 2013
It was okay,i don't really like the main character for the moment he's kinda a sasuke-like but the surgery was really intense and i was on it,i'm curious for next episodes.
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 3, 2015 3:13 AM

May 2012
Valkata said:
Amazing anime, reminds me so much of the OVA's. The TV series, seemed too childish to me. But this is great quality. From start to finish. It brings me great joy to see that Osamu Tezuka's characters are coming back to life. Ootsuka Akio as always is OP as the narrator. God DAMN can't wait for the next episode.
This seems alot more childish than the OVA to me. Read the older manga, the art isn't exactly realistic in this series. 2nd episode looks to be great.
Oct 3, 2015 3:25 AM

Jan 2015
Really good first episode. This has a lot of potential.
Oct 3, 2015 3:30 AM

May 2015
That was a good first episode
Oct 3, 2015 3:37 AM
Sep 2015
I hope the dad gets hit by a train.
Oct 3, 2015 3:39 AM

Nov 2014
Valkata said:

I find the OVAs much more mature and darker looking compared to this. XD And, well it is Tezuka's style after all, I like the colorfulness of the TV series. Gotta agree with Ootsuka Akio as the narrator, awesome! ^-^

Looking forward to the next episode. <3

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 3, 2015 3:42 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best first episode of the season so far. That was really cool and full of suspense. The main character rocks.

I sat here with an open mouth when the scumbag father did that to him. Fuck this guy.
Oct 3, 2015 4:14 AM

Sep 2010
Great first episode. I also didn't watch the original as it seems to be extremely old but if this serie continue to be this good then I will at the very least pick up the manga. I mean, just look at the name of the author, even if one isn't really interested in manga history or manga author names, this name is the one that he was bound to hear.

This is definitely the best first episode I watch in the season so far, well there weren't that many series yet and I didn't even touch K yet either but I feel like this will be one of the best series this season. If it were running in previous season I could even risk to say best of the season, not here though.

Really great. And that scamming father at the end, ah this feel of human's true nature... YEA! Although in this ending. I don't know whatever protagonist needs money badly for sick mother/sister/brother/other relative, but his reaction and the commentary of having big regrets was a little bit too big, unless he needs that money for something, and that's completely different story. All in all, he did something illegal in the end and doctors words is really crazy when it comes to following the legal procedures. (this knowledge comes from 'HOUSE' so I can't be certain but it seemed real) So at least he didn't lose the licence (which he probably doesn't have yet given he is student)

What's more the Opening shows fragments from some war and jungles... oh I am hyped for that!
eso18Oct 3, 2015 4:18 AM
Oct 3, 2015 4:32 AM

Oct 2013
So far the best first episode I've watched this season.

An interesting premise, although the dialogue is quite meh, and the girl keeps saying corny, generic lines in a super serious tone like its nothing and all it does is make me cringe....

I have my doubts if this anime will stay at the high level of this initial episode.

But so far 7/10.
I am a human.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

5 by Shidoteki »»
Jun 17, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.