Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 22, 2015 8:52 PM

Mar 2015
Thought I knew where the story was going after the last episode, but now I really have no clue.
Aug 22, 2015 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
kvnstv1 said:
Great episode though. Tomori is great as always. Her views on meeting celebrities surprised me. Seems like Yu has an uphill battle to win if he plans on getting her to date him.

naofag are completely hilarious.

Aug 22, 2015 9:35 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Was that fuckin Sugita voicing that guy in the restaurant ?
Aug 22, 2015 9:43 PM

Aug 2013
Rotfl, you know what is funny? People who are complaining about 'unfunny' humour has FMA:B (where humour was just pathetic and ruined whole show) in their favlist. Yeah iron logic.
You are reacting like Charlotte is your first Key's production (or second after AB) which you are watching.

Btw I really can't understand people who are complaining about their spoken English too. You really don't get it that English for Japanese people is super hard language for pronounce? You really don't get that simple thing that English is not the only one language in our world? Wtf is wrong with you?
rsc-plAug 22, 2015 9:50 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 22, 2015 9:47 PM

Jul 2013
Really really loved this episode. I like how Yuu is starting to show a bit of character development, it's only natural that he is but that's a good thing cause I initially did not find him that great of a MC.
And the part where Nao's brother remembers Nao when Sala starts singing was beautiful and a bit of tear jerker for me but this is just my opinion.
Also I really like Nao's character :3

Jan 2015
kvnstv1 said:

Great episode though. Tomori is great as always. Her views on meeting celebrities surprised me. Seems like Yu has an uphill battle to win if he plans on getting her to date him.

LOL. Though I'm pretty sure the whole dating thing will happen naturally... provided Nao stays alive till the end of the anime. I'm really worried that something's going to happen to her.
MALoween 2017 Candy:

Nov 2013
meh. I skipped most of the scene just consist a song I didn't care for.

Also. wtf with the brother's conclusion it just way too simple.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 22, 2015 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
What the fuck, this ep is worse than last one
Aug 22, 2015 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
I don't know why lots of you are saying Yuu just got over Ayumi like that and is back to normal. Did you even watch the episode? They made a point to show us how much he missed her and how he's still suffering a bit. Just because he isn't stabbing people anymore doesn't mean he's all better lmao.

Anyways, first half was meh. I still don't get the point of Yusa's character. Second half was good, Yuu and Nao had some nice development. I think the end of this ep is the first time we got to see (hear) Nao actually sound vulnerable and emotional for once which was nice. I have a feeling something big might happen next episode.
Aug 22, 2015 9:57 PM

Jul 2009
Well I will be honest, I wasn't planning on watching this series until now but after giving it a try and watching everything until the 7th episode (also being too salty after it, damn ninjas) while thinking which characters here are similar to the ones in AB! and LB! I'm a little surprised with this show.

Sadly it's only a 13 episode cour and it seems to this series is missing small fragments of the story, I'm not sure because I'm not reading the LN but it's how I feel after watching the 6th episode. Just found out that there's no LN.

Anyway let's wait and see what Key gonna do. 4/5
Jonny_MhlAug 22, 2015 10:02 PM
Aug 22, 2015 10:10 PM

Apr 2013
Sala sounds like Seo Yuzuki from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.
Sala's singing gave me goosebumps.

Yusa's one on the other hand, gave me chills due to the bad(?) English.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Aug 22, 2015 10:19 PM
Oct 2007
This episode is overly way too plot-convenience.. 3/5 for this week
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2015 10:22 PM

Aug 2015
BlackMalice said:
Sala sounds like Seo Yuzuki from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.
Sala's singing gave me goosebumps.

Yusa's one on the other hand, gave me chills due to the bad(?) English.

Sawashiro is the character voice and Nakamura Marina is the singer voice

It's because Miyuki Sawashiro speaks impeccable Engrish.
Aug 22, 2015 10:30 PM

Dec 2014
Hmmm, that music video of Yusarin was interesting....
Aug 22, 2015 10:30 PM

Nov 2012
ohh, zhiend = the end. not sure how i didn't realize this until now.

most of the episode was pretty meh, i liked the scene in the hospital though.
Aug 22, 2015 10:39 PM

Oct 2012
Infatuate said:
-"Nao changed me" how? For the entire runtime she has been an abusive, unlikable, "such a turnoff" shouting, emotionless and manipulative bitch. I don't see it.
-Deus ex machina brother recovery. He recovered to the song, not to her presence. Why not put ZHIEND music for him earlier? Or at least make it look like he was impressed by the lead singer being right next to him.

1. That's the point. Nao's personality should have had a negative impact, but it was like multiplying a negative with a negative to get a positive, in this case. I've had the same thing happen to me. You start to thank that person for all the wrong reasons, hehe.

2. Yuu + lost mind + time + catalyst (pizza sauce) = reformed
Kazuki + lost mind + time + catalyst (ZHIEND song) = reformed

Time is a huge factor here.
Aug 22, 2015 10:45 PM

Oct 2008
Didn't feel anything for this ep. Everything just happened too fast and too conveniently.
Enough of the forced jokes... and I don't need to watch Yusarin's music video. Does anybody even care about that?

It is already episode 8 and this show has just continually disappointed me :/ I really hope it picks up next week.
Aug 22, 2015 10:45 PM

Jan 2008
Yay, Miyuki Sawashiro singing. Though wasn't much and that Engrish. Though way better than whatever the fuck Yusarin was singing. Nao should hae just admitted that song was horrid.
Aug 22, 2015 10:57 PM

May 2012
This is my favourite episode so far (second favourite would be episode 6).

Thoughts on first half of the episode:

Very early on, we get at least one - if not two - unsubtle hints that all is not going to remain as it is now, that the reality which Yuu has inhabited since the start of the anime is likely to fall away from beneath his feet sometime very soon.

Firstly, there's the flashback to episode 7 and what Nao said to Yuu when she was dragging him out of the depths of despair.

Nao said: "This is why I decided that I'll stick it out with you, until you have risen back up to normal." Now I could very well be reading too much into this, but I'm seeing here a hint that Nao might not be able to stay with him longer than that. I don't think it's that she doesn't want to, but more that she - for whatever reasons - can't. I could easily be overthinking things here, but I imagine we'll find out soon enough.

Secondly, there's Yuu's reaction to silliness of the Yusa/fanboys/Takajou scene:
"This cheerfulness that is even annoying... I'm so thankful of it. I think I can spend everyday life like I had always done.

This is such a huge hint that things are going to fall apart, and that Yuu isn't going to be able to remain in the cheerful everday reality that he has begun to treasure. We've already seen (in episode 6) that when Yuu feels thankful for something, it will be taken away from him.

Also... I'm being reminded at this point of Little Busters:

The comedy in Charlotte may be annoying to some (Yuu included, lol!) but I think it serves two important functions in this episode.
1) Cheering Yuu up a bit and making him realise that despite his grief, what he still has is something worth holding onto.
2) Creating an atmosphere of everyday normality that feels somewhere between reality and a false ("created"?) world in which everything is intentionally rather repetitive and often cheerfully silly. I feel that "Such a turn off!", Takajou's over-the-top fanboying of Yusarin, Yusa's moe ditzy cuteness, the lunctime routine at the school cafeteria and the power-of-the-week episodic feel to the first 5 episodes all contribute to this. (As did Ayumi with her dependability, omurice and pizza sauce and endearing/annoying mannerisms.) It's fairly typical of Maeda/Key to get us immersed in such a world to the point we (almost) take it for granted.

Next point: Yusa's music video. Unlike a lot of people here, I loved the song - really catchy and with a message. She seems to be singing about feelings of not being sure how to go on without that special someone there. I love the way the song keeps switching from "I can do it" to "I can't do it" and eventually ends on a positve note, where she erases the "t" from "can't" on the school chalkboard. Also, the song is about feeling that her voice might not reach someone. To me this feels like both Yusa's own feelings at having lost Misa and a reflection of Yuu's feelings at having lost Ayumi. I was also interested to note the dog in the video with her at one point - is this the same dog that appeared in the ending used in episode 3? I wonder if she wandered around for some time, alone apart from the dog, after losing Misa? Also, are the mentions of "illness" and "feverish" a reference to Ayumi's illness?

Nao is almost uncharacteristically nice (although with obligatory put-downs!) in her assesment of Yusa's music video, a point also noted by Yuu.

Quick side note - as someone who typically enjoys really high-speed music, Misa's music taste made me grin. To give you some idea what she means by a super-fast two-bass at BPM260:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FbfiUwNS1Q

Note the lack of Kumagami (soaking wet dude) this episode - I wonder if the next time we see him will be when he reveals his true power?

Other thoughts on the first half:
- Yuu being enthusiastically welcomed back to school by Yusa and Takajou and actualy appreciating it gave me the warm fuzzies, as did Takajou procuring the meal that Yuu had really enjoyed a few episodes back.
- What is Nao's true intent behind inviting Yuu to a Zhiend concert (I think there's no doubt that she had him in mind from the start)? Is it just a show or friendship, understanding and compassion towards Yuu, and maybe affection too? Is it because he also appreciates Zhiend? Does she hope that seeing Sala and hearing Zhiend playing live will trigger some memories in Yuu? "All of the above" is probably my guess.

Thoughts on second half of episode to follow shortly, felt it best to divide this huge wall of text up a bit lol!
Aug 22, 2015 11:02 PM
Jun 2015
I groaned at the first half of this episode. I wanted this show to lose the jokes and stuff.
The idea of a key thing is that we set up a boring and comedic first half and then a depressing and tragic second half making us want to go to the first half that we formally hated again. But now that's ruined with half of an episode spent on comedy.

Good thing I liked the last third with an awful first third(Yusarin's music video was good though)and a neutral second third. I like Sala's character so far. Potential waifu? Gonna do something?

Maybe they'll have us attach to her and then they'll reveal her as a scientist who had actually taken Ayumi away and that she isn't dead... I hope they don't do that because evil Sala and hostage Ayumi sounds fucking stupid.
Aug 22, 2015 11:19 PM

Jan 2015
I absolutely love this shot...
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Aug 22, 2015 11:22 PM
Dec 2014
I think that Sara or whatever her name is had a power (probably emotional reading/therapy or something) in her adolescence and then she 'payed' her eyesight to God, as she said, to keep it beyond her teenage years.
Aug 22, 2015 11:27 PM

Oct 2013
I have no idea what's going to happen next...

Perhaps imouto is not going to be revived after all? D:
Aug 22, 2015 11:34 PM
Nov 2014
The Yusarin jokes is getting old lmao, it's cringe worthly af now. But the second half was rather enjoyable.
Aug 22, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2015
ahsinam33 said:

^
Aug 23, 2015 12:16 AM

May 2015
pretzel06 said:
ahsinam33 said:

^

oolalaa
Aug 23, 2015 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
Really good episode! Found my eyes watering a bit from remembering about Ayumi and seeing how Yuu was trying to be strong but was still struggling.

Hearing Marina sing was really beautiful too ♥ Felt the nostalgia from Angel Beats!

For me, I think that since he was not able to do anything to save his sister, Yuu thought that he could try to save the sibling of someone else that was important to him. Being able to accomplish that could help him feel better and to move on.

Overall, I liked the second half of the episode better, but it was all still really good! Looking forward to the next episode! :)
Aug 23, 2015 12:31 AM

Sep 2012
EpicCh33se said:
Infatuate said:
-
-Deus ex machina brother recovery. He recovered to the song, not to her presence. Why not put ZHIEND music for him earlier? Or at least make it look like he was impressed by the lead singer being right next to him.

Time is hardly a factor here considering brother was in the hospital for a long time, but song cured him right away(magic bitch). Infatuate is right when he commented about why not presence changed him instead of a engrish song. If it was that simple, why not made him hear Zhiend or whatever songs earlier. Then again jun maeda is known for taking easy way out, first pizza sauce and now this, ughh. Still don't know what is the fuck is the purpose of yusa? For shitty charming spells?
Aug 23, 2015 12:41 AM

May 2012
Thoughts on the second half of the episode:

I can't decide whether the way Yuu meets Sala is a bit contrived, or is meant to seem contrived. And then there's always the fact that since she's playing a concert the next day, she's likely to be in town anyway.

Let's just quickly get this out of the way: Iwasawa's seiyuu duly observed and noted! Not sure if the Angel Beats points of reference so far are of any potential significance or just there to please and intrigue fans of both shows. Guess we'll find out!

What's with Sala's "Why avoid me? Shit!" as she's walking down the hill from the group of students towards Yuu. Is it simply that she's irritated at the way the students react to her blindness, or is it in any way aimed at Yuu, who gets the same feeling from walking past her as he did when he first listened to ZHIEND in episode 5? Have these two met in another time or in another reality?

Things I noted about Sala:
- She's most likely not Japanese, although she's been to Japan before. It appears as though she's faltering with Japanese a bit when offering to light incense for Ayumi. Also, her initial Engrish and her name (Sala Shane) suggest that she's from an English-speaking country. Her skin colour is also noticeable different to that of the main characters - much paler and a bit pinker.She also signs her name using the Roman alphabet.
- She most likely had powers at one time, but if the "losing your powers by the time you finish high school" bit is true, then Sala will have very probably lost her powers by now. She looks and sounds older than the main characters and since she's drinking beer in the okonomiyaki place, she's likely to be at least 20, which is the legal drinking age in Japan.

Side thought - wonder if the cool-looking okonomiyaki dude will actually turn up at the ZHIEND concert.

I can't quite decide whether or not Sala is just extremely perceptive about Yuu or if she actually knows something about him. I'm guessing both, most likely. In terms of her being perceptive, she's obviously gone through very hard times of her own, therefore more likely to pick up on the signs in other people, and also the loss of one sense often tends to heighten the the ability to pick up cues by using the other senses.

The bits where Yuu momentarily forgot that Ayumi was no longer at home to make him a meal were heartbreaking and totally relatable for me, especially the bit where he was going to phone her and then the realisation hit him hard. Been there, know the feeling, much ouch. This felt so realistic to me.

I loved the development in Yuu's character in this part, and also the development in the way he sees and feels about Nao.

I'm intrigued by Nao's complete lack of interest in meeting Sala. Is this just a straightforward preference in enjoying a band's music without wanting to get too much involved with the actual people, or was she waiting to see if Yuu was going to suggest a meeting between Sala and her brother? Is there anything more to it than this?

Sala's backstory: I feel like there's a lot we haven't been told at this point. The bits about God and atoning for her sins by bartering her eyesight could well be some foreshadowing relating to something that can happen to people who have/had powers. Was she always in ZHIEND, and what's with the reference to wanting to front a dull band? I think it's very likely that she cheated by using powers, although that doesn't seem to account for the fact that she does actually have an amazing singing voice. Hopefully all will be revealed eventually. There is a very strong hint that one day Yuu will find himself in a position like the one that caused Sala to give up her eyesight.

The lyrics of the song "Fallin'"? that Sala sung to Tomori Kazuki feel somehow significant - the bit about a steel tower and how it would feel to fall, and also "I saw deep red" in particular. Is this about past events, a premonition of the future or both?

I think there's a good reason why her being there and singing in person had a positive effect on Kazuki - ZHIEND were his inspiration for making music and hearing that song would have taken him back to the time when he was full of life and hope and still sane. While it could be possible that a cd might have also affected him, there's something more powerful about having your inspiration right there in front of you and singing especially for you. Although Kazuki's recognition of Nao is a huge and near-miraculous step forward, is what lies ahead of him also going to be hopeful and positive? Note: in the scenes on the headland in the opening, he's absent. (There is, however, the blond guy in the 5 people on the wall in the opening, and that might be him.)

I'm expecting, or at least hoping for, some major reveals, changes and plot advances over the next couple of episodes. Right at the moment, it feels as though the storyline is progressing in an interesting and significant direction.

(Note to self: use and symbolism of red and blue. May expand on this if I get time.)
Aug 23, 2015 12:48 AM

Oct 2012
Inferno_Cop said:
EpicCh33se said:

Time is hardly a factor here considering brother was in the hospital for a long time, but song cured him right away(magic bitch). Infatuate is right when he commented about why not presence changed him instead of a engrish song. If it was that simple, why not made him hear Zhiend or whatever songs earlier. Then again jun maeda is known for taking easy way out, first pizza sauce and now this, ughh. Still don't know what is the fuck is the purpose of yusa? For shitty charming spells?

You're both absolutely right about reacting to her presence. It was a little odd, though I guess they could rub it off as "He was preoccupied with thoughts of Nao." or something.

Though I guess the reason why he didn't hear a ZHIEND song earlier was because it simply never crossed anybody's minds, except maybe for Nao. Unless a nurse would put a radio in his room and a ZHIEND song would coincidentally come on, I doubt anybody else would have thought of the idea. Maybe.

It didn't seem like the song cured him right away. It seemed like it took maybe somewhere around an hour. Actually, I wasn't even sure if he was cured until they explicitly brought it up. He just remembered Nao's name.
I guess this could be like waking up from a coma, but slowly. I don't think he suddenly lit up and was like "Where's Nao?!"
Aug 23, 2015 12:56 AM

Sep 2012
EpicCh33se said:
Inferno_Cop said:

You're both absolutely right about reacting to her presence. It was a little odd, though I guess they could rub it off as "He was preoccupied with thoughts of Nao." or something.

Though I guess the reason why he didn't hear a ZHIEND song earlier was because it simply never crossed anybody's minds, except maybe for Nao. Unless a nurse would put a radio in his room and a ZHIEND song would coincidentally come on, I doubt anybody else would have thought of the idea. Maybe.

It didn't seem like the song cured him right away. It seemed like it took maybe somewhere around an hour. Actually, I wasn't even sure if he was cured until they explicitly brought it up. He just remembered Nao's name.
I guess this could be like waking up from a coma, but slowly. I don't think he suddenly lit up and was like "Where's Nao?!"

You are right about no one playing the song before but I do believe presence should've been a part, it give scene like these more value since it implies there wasn't any other way unlike right now where we argue about Zhiend song playing in the room.
Aug 23, 2015 1:29 AM

Aug 2008
About brother recovery bullshit, I guess they were going for something like this: he was "composing" by going nuts and the blind girl with her "exceptional senses to feel inner emotions" just tuned into his music and sung to it, thus snapping him out of it. Either that or magic...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Aug 23, 2015 1:48 AM

Jan 2015
Cute little ep. I did like it. Even tho when she said why are they avoiding me it sounded kind of funny because she said abouding lol :o
Aug 23, 2015 1:53 AM
May 2015
Decent ep.
La_Matona301Aug 23, 2015 2:11 AM
Aug 23, 2015 2:44 AM

Oct 2011
what happened to the dude that was active in all Charlotte episode discussion threads discussing about theories, wtf they tweet about, and etc. :-?
Aug 23, 2015 3:15 AM

Sep 2013
Great episode,a bit long to start but i really liked it,the last scene made me cry a little bit,it wasn't sad just beautiful
Deep dark fantasies
Aug 23, 2015 4:18 AM

Feb 2014
Sala is a really cool character, and it's nice to see Yuu care about others a bit more. It's nice Nao's brother has recovered a bit.
Aug 23, 2015 4:43 AM

Aug 2012
I'm gonna be honest... this episode is 5/5

I really like sala's sara's character especially when she begun to sing in front of nao's brother. And that ending is really something :)

#Fallin'
ZHIEND
wvrAug 23, 2015 5:13 AM
Aug 23, 2015 5:05 AM

Apr 2013
I know said that I was going to drop this but I just can't help myself.

---

Anyways I'm glad that so many people are complaining about the sudden and rushed transition to comedy, but where were you guys when the show made sudden changes to a darker and more serious atmosphere? It's the same problem from before, a problem that only a few users pointed out.

This is actually one of my main problems with this show; it feels like it can't decide what it wants to be. The writers know what they want, but their inability to implement it properly makes the show feel messy. The show can't decide whether its light or dark/serious show, and I'm not saying you can't have both in one show, you can; but it's only awesome if it's properly implemented. What this show lacks is a proper sense of unity and continuity, making stuff like the tone/atmosphere to plot progression and character development feel all muddy, messy, and disjointed. The lighter and dark/serious tones feel like afterthoughts from two different scripts mushed into one show. For a show with only 13 episodes, you'd think they have a tighter grip on the script and story-line, unfortunately that's not the case at all. And now we have shameless product promotion to add into the list of things that's wrong with this show.

Now I'm honestly quite keen on finishing this show so I can use it as an example of how lazy, bad, and appalling writing in anime can be. I know, there are quite a lot of shows for that but I kinda feel like updating my list.

Looking forward for the next episode.

dfsafsaf said:
oh god the comedy in this anime.... I honestly have no idea how there are people who find it even remotely funny..... Like it's beyond terrible.

The comedy IMO is actually this show's strongest points, even though it's not really good. It's handled far better than the silly dark trick the writers use to garner sympathy from the audience.

raveninthemuddle said:
Which is worse? Glasslip, a black hole of fun and investment and the perfect definition of "nothing", or Charlotte, an insensitive, sloppy, manipulative

Edit: it's fall not fail damn it.

You know I honestly can't tell if Maeda's just a sincere guy that isn't capable of expressing his feelings and ideas unto the screen, or if he's a manipulative fuck that uses cheap dark/serious drama tricks because he's too lazy to properly build them up; which would of course at least add some sort of depth to the show.
NudeBearAug 23, 2015 5:30 AM
Aug 23, 2015 5:13 AM

Jan 2013
That was by far the best episode of the whole anime. I really anjoyed watching it. The nostalgic vibe was nice and the whole group took a breather this time. Yuu meeting the singer of Zhiend and spending a day with her. And they also visited Tomori's brother.

Aug 23, 2015 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
I really liked this episode. It wasn't as gripping as episode 7, but still good in it's own right. Seeing Nao's brother calm down and speak made me tear up a little, and I can't put into mere words how much I want a ZHEIND album now. I look forward to the next episode.
Aug 23, 2015 6:04 AM

Apr 2015
Good episode, watching this gave me a feeling that Nao and Ayu' are connected. :s
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Aug 23, 2015 6:20 AM

Mar 2010
NudeBear said:
where were you guys when the show made sudden changes to a darker and more serious atmosphere? It's the same problem from before, a problem that only a few users pointed out.
I was there calling it hilarious. Funnier than its actual attempts at humor.
Aug 23, 2015 6:23 AM

Apr 2013
TonyTheme said:
NudeBear said:
where were you guys when the show made sudden changes to a darker and more serious atmosphere? It's the same problem from before, a problem that only a few users pointed out.
I was there calling it hilarious. Funnier than its actual attempts at humor.

Same. When middle school psycho pulled out her blade I just couldn't stop laughing. What a ridiculous show.
Aug 23, 2015 6:29 AM

Jun 2013
that's a nice music video and learn the difference between rock genres kids lol so they helped Nao's brother which is good
Aug 23, 2015 6:49 AM
Oct 2014
Did she said that her brother was kidnapped by someone? Maybe by scientist?
But if that is true, who is he? O.o

I can't wait for concert scene, it might be good scene, maybe something finally will happen. Maybe this X person play the guitar at zhiend or something like that.

And I'm afraid that sara thinks that nao is yuu's girlfriend...
Aug 23, 2015 6:51 AM
Mar 2009
Kundalini said:

Initially I thought she had some power too, but I don't think so. I'm not sure where the "bargain" part will be justified.
But on the other hand, blind people are really sensitive to other people. Kinesthesia is quite an uncanny thing we are not accustomed to because we use our eyes all the time. But I loved it when she mentioned that she knew he was breathing despair the whole time. It's really true. The tone of people, their breathing, their voice and the way they act... they can tell you so much and blind people get attuned to that. And they will usually have good intuition. So for Sara to trust Yuu to take her all the way to the hospital was not uncommon. It's a different matter that meeting Sara was a convenience of the script for Yuu's wish fulfilment... allowing Yuu to help Nao's brother thinking he was somehow helping his own sister, that he could do something for others and feel better now.

I think singing and voice do have the capacity to cure people. Just because we see it in an anime as part of a plot makes it less credible is funny. But yeah, I don't think just one session would work. For that matter, on the one hand, her singing without music will definitely have a different effect than them playing a cd with the guitar chords and drums. But they should have showed that difference.

The way Tomori spoke on the phone, she had given up all hope and scared to hope again. I wonder if she'd tried to make her brother listen to the songs. She was scared it would be an empty attempt again so she didn't want to drag someone into her personal matter, so she preferred not to get involved. Yuu was free to do what he pleased.

^^^
Aug 23, 2015 7:07 AM

Sep 2014
SIGH, as I thought, the Anime's back to its shitty self once more with crappy jokes and SoL shite. To top it all off, it'll probably have a romance angle soon, which just makes everything worse. Well, atleast the singer was nice, decent song.
Aug 23, 2015 7:28 AM

Jan 2015
it wasn't a bad episode .. but it was a bit slow ... the second half was good though
Sala's Engrish wasn't that bad ..but the only thing that pisses me off about this is that we are already on episode 8 out of 13 and we still DON'T KNOW WHAT THE MAIN PLOT IS

maybe it'll get a 2nd season? just like aldnoah.zero no one had any idea about a second season then it was announced in the ending of the last episode .. or there better be something important to happen next episode...

damn this is my first post ? xD

Aug 23, 2015 7:46 AM

Nov 2013
NudeBear said:
I know said that I was going to drop this but I just can't help myself.

---

Anyways I'm glad that so many people are complaining about the sudden and rushed transition to comedy, but where were you guys when the show made sudden changes to a darker and more serious atmosphere? It's the same problem from before, a problem that only a few users pointed out.

This is actually one of my main problems with this show; it feels like it can't decide what it wants to be. The writers know what they want, but their inability to implement it properly makes the show feel messy. The show can't decide whether its light or dark/serious show, and I'm not saying you can't have both in one show, you can; but it's only awesome if it's properly implemented. What this show lacks is a proper sense of unity and continuity, making stuff like the tone/atmosphere to plot progression and character development feel all muddy, messy, and disjointed. The lighter and dark/serious tones feel like afterthoughts from two different scripts mushed into one show. For a show with only 13 episodes, you'd think they have a tighter grip on the script and story-line, unfortunately that's not the case at all. And now we have shameless product promotion to add into the list of things that's wrong with this show.

Now I'm honestly quite keen on finishing this show so I can use it as an example of how lazy, bad, and appalling writing in anime can be. I know, there are quite a lot of shows for that but I kinda feel like updating my list.

Looking forward for the next episode.

There was no such thing as a sudden transition from a light tone to a dark and serious atmosphere in episode 6: from the start, they immediately established a looming threat in the form of Ayu's new power, and there were multiple scenes which foreshadowed the crazy middle school girl's actions and the other guy's obsession with Ayu. All of this happened while the usual comedy was still going on. Before things got really dark, we got a scene where the student council panics for a bit before rushing to save the little sister, followed by Ayu's stalker acting like a creep towards her. All of this was build-up for the transition in tone and atmosphere. The only problem was that they went overboard with the crazy girl's expressions and that scene in general was ridiculously melodramatic.

There's nothing strange about violent middle school kids, you can check the episode thread to find lots of examples of similar events (in Japan, too), and I've seen similar shit in my middle school years (I'm sure I'm not alone in this).

The show perfectly knows what it wants to be: for the last 8 episodes, the show has been about Yuu's development from a selfish prick who only feels responsibility for his little sister and treats everyone else like pawns to increase his ego, to someone who sincerely enjoys being part of a group and is willing to help his friends. Those last 2 episodes have been almost exclusively about him, as his sister's "death" brought back the worst of him and he desperately lashed out at everyone until he finally acknowledged that, during the show, he met other people besides Ayumi that cared for him and that are worth being with.
In this episode specifically (and this also relates to the presumed messy handling of tone/atmosphere and lack of unity and continuity), the return to the usual comedic routine is a way to show Yuu finally embracing his new reality (which he slowly got used to in ep 2-6) by admitting that he likes being with those silly and annoying people, but at the same time, those scenes are used to highlight how insecure he still feels, as he's constantly paranoid about the others being gentle towards him just because of his loss (the issue of trusting others was a big deal for him in the previous ep, see his conversations with Yumi and Nao). Not to mention the constant hints of how he's hardly gotten used to his sister's death, like when he's about to call home to tell Ayu that he won't come back for dinner, or when he doesn't want to stay home alone.
It's hardly a "complete and sudden transition from dark to happy-go-lucky", especially since the last scene in ep 7 already paved the way for this episode by being sweet and light-hearted, and generally showing Yuu's will to try and go back to living normally.

In regards to continuity, the entire second half of this ep is a conclusion of the previous episode's character arc, as he finally meets someone to talk with about his loss, and at the same time, he realizes who prompted his change initially, and then allowed him to come back to normal life. To end the arc, he repays his debt to Nao, finally showing sincere affection for someone else (besides his sister).

...and stop acting like a pretentious prick, "looking forward to next episode", lol.
Lollo36Aug 23, 2015 7:53 AM
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Blueray release?

Drobot - Oct 5

6 by Kradaxe »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

654 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 22, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2015

866 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 22, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2015

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 22, 2:22 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2015

356 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 18, 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.