Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 8, 2015 12:42 PM
Jun 2014
rrrmyme said:
Nothing257 said:
Ending was a pile of BS. 5/10 dropped to 2/10 due to the lack of Maria dying and some of the witches to. Nothing maria has does can be considered good in this anime and she does not deserve a happy ending. Also Bernard changing he views at the last moment just means that he did not really believe in God in the first place. Also i do not like how maria thinks she is untouchable by saying that she is the one that forgives God. The to top it all of the angel instead of doing what he was sent to do he said he was going to do the exact same thing he has been doing (nothing) and accepting her.

In all this anime is a WTF anime and deserves the 2/10 that i have given it.

Why do you think Maria do nothing to deserve happy ending ? She may been wrong with all the war stopping, but, in other hand, she saved many people too. At least she save people in Ann's village (what the bandit could do in ep 2 could be worse, they also about going to rape village's women if Maria not coming).

Michael not doing what he has been told to ? More like Father send him to do his job on his own account, judgment Maria by Michael himself. This also mean Michael is not a robot that excute every command that Father give him.

By the way, i know this is not relate to this topic, but please (T_T), give fullmetal alchemist series a second chance. When you re-watching it,you may see its potential.

I agree that when Maria save the village people that was a good deed and that then she should have acted and she did but i do not agree that she wanted to get involved in the whole world. saying that you hate war and don't like fighting in front of you is rubbish, she does not have to be there, she could protect the village (her home) are there would be no opposition from anyone because it is her village, but getting involved in a huge war and not expecting people to hate you and try to kill you is different.

Also i have not watched it in along time so i don't remember if god gives him the choice to choose when to get rid of maria but he knows that she is a issue and gods task to him was to get rid of her if she is a issue so not getting rid of her when he had the chance goes against it. also at the end when she disrespects god right in front of him showed he is not doing his job properly.

I might re watch FMAB or FMA again and try to see what all the fuss is about.
May 11, 2015 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
So God has all the power needed to help people but doesn't care at all about their misery and prayers, but when someone does care about it - he sends his servant to "restore order", because when he doesn't care - no one else with magical powers should care either. Seems like quite an arrogant and malevolent God (which is funny, because in Christianity God is supposedly absolutely good).

In the end we get a guy that realizes that we should stop counting on God intervention and start acting ourselves if we want anything to be done - quite a commendable stance if you ask me - and this guy gets killed.
The one person that cared about the people and went as far as trying using her powers to help them, even if she just wasn't powerful enough to ever do it on a scale she'd want to - gets forced by emotional blackmail to be a mother and gets her powers taken from her, and she's quite alright with it. She gets "forgiven" but she still gets to be punished.
The archangel - ridden of free will robot-servant of God - learns nothing, and Ezekiel - having actually learned something - gets punished/demoted to a human.

Nothing changes for God, he still doesn't give a poo about anybody's misery and prayers, Michael still will try to stop any magic user from doing what a "omni-benevolent God" should probably do, and wars will still go on. And they lived happily ever after?

Completely underwhelming, anticlimactic, and disappointing ending. I don't remember the last time I watched or read an ending to anything that was this botched.
May 12, 2015 2:34 AM

Jun 2009
It was okay. 6/10
May 13, 2015 4:08 PM

Feb 2014
One question what happened to Bernard it look like he was turned to dust ?
May 24, 2015 10:55 AM

Jun 2012
What the heck happened to Bernard?
May 24, 2015 4:57 PM

Mar 2012
More like he was turned to salt. ;) A bit like Lot's wife, when she disobeyed God's command.

Because, you know, when you disobey the G man - you get punished. Even though he gave you the free will to disobey him. Makes complete sense. ;)
May 25, 2015 6:45 PM

Sep 2011
The happy ending was pretty boring. Kinda wish it ended a little bit darker. Nothing changed from what she was doing in the beginning, so all the reasons Micheal gave for why she had to stop, he just threw it out the window.

Kinda thought Ezekiel would've been casted into hell for a moment, but sadly no twists. Might just be me but, I was kinda wanted Garfa to succeed with what he tried to do to Maria and then Joseph kills him for it.

Very pretty anime imo, but I'm sure I'll forget about it in no time. Good voice acting for both the Japanese and English audio(with the exception of Vivi in English).

7/10
timbob90210May 28, 2015 12:47 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2015 6:49 PM

Apr 2015
^ Your ending is the worst ending to be a good ending.
#CHEXIT
May 28, 2015 11:16 AM

Oct 2009
Uh that was way too much of a happy ending for me :! Felt like a Disney movie actually with that ending song.

Ok, series started out great. Interesting setting, characters but the last 2 episodes were too happy?? All the conflict and pain just vanished, forgive and forget. Didn't like that it didn't have any consequence.

Also to me the characters were way too underdeveloped, hardly any background info about them. All we saw was that little flashback for Maria. And it introduced a rather intriguing world but it was left unexplored. Rather disappointed tbh.

AND Priapos never got his MANHOOD!!!! 6/10
May 30, 2015 7:28 AM

Apr 2011
It was good an pleasant ending. It did not leave anything hanging behind.

7/10
May 31, 2015 5:50 AM
May 2012
Definitely the dark horse of the season for me.

9/10
Jun 20, 2015 12:36 PM

Jun 2011
Meh series, and overrated if you consider it's reception on MAL, among the vocal ones.

"Joseph, what do you think of Maria?"
"She is the girl I will be taking her first from."
Just kidding, but I never liked the guy, and I never really felt the attraction from both Joseph and Maria, which make it impossible for me to like and even accept the pairing. Terrible match.

The story and characters are meh as well, I agree with some people that nothing has changed about Maria since day 1, it felt like the whole series was pointless. She never learned from any of her experiences. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't have to change her ways or whatever, but I didn't even feel that she had learned something from all these. The final episode was just terrible. "Love conquers all", talk about cheesiness.

At least it has a proper ending, so whatever.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 27, 2015 9:28 PM

Dec 2013
So basically Ezekiel will be reborn as Maria's daughter but will she be able to keep her memories once reborn? I'm not sure if the anime explained this or not but I kinda wanted a clarification from the Junketsu no Maria Exhibition readers

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Jul 8, 2015 9:43 PM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
Aaaaaand Priapus still doesnt have a penis. lol
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Jul 9, 2015 2:25 PM

Nov 2014
Toarujisuru said:
Aaaaaand Priapus still doesnt have a penis. lol

Will he even need it? When she loses her powers they probably (they didn't know themselves iirc) will just remain owls :(
Jul 15, 2015 11:14 AM

Sep 2011
Well this was a fun ride, didn't expect much from this new series but I'm glad I watched it. Short but sweet, nice ending too.

Biggest surprise has to be how accurate the weapons, armor, mannerism where. Production I.G. really did their research. Kudos.
Aug 19, 2015 2:35 PM
Jun 2010
Would have been more satisfying if they wiped out that angel. Oh well, after the Empire is established we shall get those stories.
Sep 29, 2015 11:39 PM

May 2014
Marathoned this today and I honestly really liked most of it... until the ending. It was a fairly decent way to wrap things up, but what exactly is Maria supposed to do about wars now? She told Michael "Whether I have my magic or not, I'm going to stop battles the same as always!". Just because England returned home and there's momentary peace doesn't mean that people have changed in general. The fighting is definitely going to continue eventually, and when it does she can't stop it without magic. No amount of determination is going to change that fact.

Putting that aside, it was enjoyable experience and I don't regret watching it so I'll give it a 7.
Dec 17, 2015 12:57 PM

Nov 2010
Pretty bad anime imo.
Fortunately i'll forget Maria & cie in no time, but if people enjoy the show i'm glad for them.
3/10
BrunechildDec 17, 2015 1:11 PM
Dec 31, 2015 9:40 AM
Oct 2009
Rewatched the show at the end of the year and still think it is vastly underrated and underappreciated, but then again that's to be expected of a series like Maria the Virgin Witch that isn't just more of the same thing we get every season.

I do think the ending will be more appreciated by those who do not have a lot of cynicism or, for that matter, are already in a post-cynical mindset. You need to have somewhat of an idealistic and/or romantic soul, in the widest possible sense of the term, but that is getting rarer and rarer in his modern world.

For instance, Ezekiel was not truly punished in the long run. In fact, you could argue quite the opposite. Not being an angel anymore might seem like a bad thing at first, but being able to be with people who will genuinely love her is far more of a reward on both a personal and emotional level.

Maria did not give up the purity of her beliefs, which means she arguably passed the test that God put her through, and will continue to struggle for a better and more peaceful reality, whether she keeps her magic or not. That doesn't mean there won't be any more wars, however, but simply that Maria will have the opportunity to play a different role in the world inspired by the same ideals.
jgomezgDec 31, 2015 9:43 AM
Mar 31, 2016 8:56 PM

Feb 2014
From episode 08, I started to didn't like it:

-Plot conviniences (that shit guy knew all the other 3 would leave the house so Maria would be alone..? I guess not. Then take that violence fanservice against a woman to call your attention);
-Started to get 'common', with no good ideas;
-Started to get boring;
-Annoying and cliche romance;
-Lack of relationship with some side characters;
-Although it was a happy ending (which I always apreciate), it was really a 'meh' (happy) ending.

Well, and what about Ezekiel? I know she will (probably, it was what was told) born as Maria's daughter, but and then...? Because she dissapeared and the end? They showed an epilogue but didn't care to show a tip about Ezekiel.

Whatever, 5/10
TechOtakuMar 31, 2016 9:00 PM
May 29, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
That was fine. The show started out interestingly enough and had some humor. However, the concept is very childish and silly for a show based around war and historical events just like the characters. Maria's unworldly desire and persistence to end war started to get annoying and felt idiotic. Joseph on the other hand was an average wuss with not redeeming qualities.

It feels like the writer read too many fantasy stories in his childhood to come up with such a gullible concept. Furthermore, he seems to mix up war with religion but in reality war is the natural way of life.

Overall 6/10
Jul 25, 2016 12:47 PM
Mar 2014
I just feel so confused. I think I really misunderstood the ending, I have no idea why I did but for the life of me I can't understand.

So in previous episodes she refused to renounce her magic and live alongside people because she was against the war and felt she was doing no wrong. God/Michael were both under the belief that humans should be left to their own devices and handle the war themselves.

Then in the end Maria renounces her magic ANYWAYS? How was the ending any different than if she just gave up her magic earlier in the series? God didn't intervene with the war, it just ended of its own accord. God only told them not to hate Maria.

So it seems like a superficial happy ending. Maria says she'll fight against war but no longer has any ability to. The war ended without her doing anything anyways. Priapus and Artemis are now permanently owls as Maria is no longer a witch, therefore no longer has familiars. The whole world decided to forgive her at the drop of a hat, and she lives happily ever after in the village until the next fight comes up and she has no way to really counter it?

Is that not EXACTLY what was going to happen to her anyways if she gave up earlier?

Tl;dr
Maria refused to apologize and renounce her magic because:
- She'd lose her ability to fight and stop wars
- She couldn't defend her loved ones
- She'd no longer be able to have familiars
- She was headstrong and believed she did no wrong.

So in this ending
-Michael said he'd STILL be preventing her from fighting and stopping wars
-She now has no magic to help protect her loved ones
-She lost her familiars anyways, they may exist as owls but they're permanently owls...
- She now seems so much more docile and only cares about her love and living peacefully in the village. What happened to her spark? She said she'd still fight no matter what but she can't. It feels like a person who had all these dreams and aspirations and then gave up on them to become a stay at home wife and have kids...

So what did she gain out of this? Literally the only thing she gained was that the war ended... but... god didn't intervene at all. It just ended on its own. And whose to say if she didn't give up earlier the same thing wouldn't have happened?

For example, when the English were nearly defeated that one time the war would have ended there but she intervened and it continued. So if she had given up just a few episodes earlier all these people wouldn't have died, she wouldn't have had to go through that whole ordeal I: and the results would have been exactly the same.

Someone please clarify or explain to me because I just... don't get it!? What am I misinterpreting here?
Aug 13, 2016 7:58 PM
Dec 2008
RiniWini said:

Someone please clarify or explain to me because I just... don't get it!? What am I misinterpreting here?

Most of everything? Well, not technically, but close. Honestly, I would argue that you need to think about the themes of the show and what they mean in terms of their own context, rather than discussing the events in general isolation from them. From that perspective, Maria didn't "give up" at all. If anything, it was more like she survived a test/challenge from the Church of Heaven.

She proved to Michael -and, by extension, his master- as well as to herself that her beliefs were sincere and that she was willing to go all the way. As a result, Maria's existence was explicitly acknowledged and accepted as part of the world. That's a victory for her ideals and what they represent. She doesn't necessarily need magic (which in this case would only be abandoned voluntarily rather than as "punishment" like you are arguing here) as long as her great willpower remains. Which, going by her actions throughout the show, is definitely going to be the case. Frankly, it's not even her magic power (or physical virginity) that makes Maria special. It's what she did and why. This was also reflected in her brief stint as a powerless human.

Not to mention that Maria still cares about her loved ones. In fact, that's precisely why she decided to accept Ezekiel's request. Rather than only thinking about herself, Maria is willing to help a friend/someone she loves. I don't see anything Maria did at the end of the story as reflecting her "giving up" on her dreams and aspirations of peace.

Evidently, many other wars will continue. That's the history of human conflict. However, the Hundred Years War did reach a conclusion and Maria did directly or indirectly play a role in the process. That's a sign of progress, not a defeat. One person may not change the entire universe, in the long run, but she can still have a positive effect on those around her as well as on human society and help move the world in the right direction. The fact her legend will live on throughout the ages is, as a matter of fact, the ultimate proof of this. The narration and even Bernard's one surviving scroll are rather telling in my opinion.

From an overly cynical perspective, that might seem futile. However, from a more romantic and idealistic angle that appreciates the value of the human spirit even in the midst of adversity, I think it's rather inspiring.

Other interpretations that are also positive include:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/maria-the-virgin-witch/episode-12/.86519

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/36b4xc/spoilers_reviewdiscussion_about_junketsu_no_maria/
MadonisAug 13, 2016 8:06 PM
Aug 18, 2016 11:21 PM

Oct 2013
Seriously underrated series and another indication of how absolutely flawed MAL's ratings are. The thematic overtones were great, and the fantastic use of insert songs during some scenes was absolutely amazing.
Aug 31, 2016 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
Not really enjoying this seires that much cause i always related it with real life without realizing it. from watching this series, in my eyes, it looked like christian was being abused (?) maybe is the right word for that ? the way they picture the christianity, is just wrong. well maybe it's just because character problem not the religion itself, but not only that which is bother me, even tho it's a fiction, the reason why god never help people when they are in a live-death situation....i just can't accept that, even it bother my enjoyment. there are some few things that i just can't accept in this anime but overall, watching how the story went on with maria and her surrounding, it's pretty interesting and entertaining in other way. i enjoyed it. well, it's basically like, 50% of the story, i dislike it and i like 50% of the story. something like that.

so i give this show 7/10 or more spesifically 6.8/10
well, i know that this show is maybe trying to say that witch isn't all about evil. but relgion ended up being a scapegoat. that's the part which is just bother my enjoyment a lot even tho this is just a fiction. but at least i enjoy watching the story xD pretty entertaining in some way. maria is obvious my fav character from this anime xD

and one more thing
"War is the way to make money"
i think that's messed up. fantasy-like world, for example like hai to gensou no grimgar is still better.
Sep 10, 2016 4:25 PM

Sep 2013
Nice ending to a good show

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 25, 2017 7:38 PM

Jan 2014
And everyone lived happily ever after... except Priapus who never got the ... lol

That was such a sweet ending :p I'm glad it ended on such a positive note.

Overall one of the more interesting, fun and unique series to watch.
Mar 20, 2017 12:29 AM

Dec 2016
I enjoyed this series a lot and was happy with the ending.
Jan 2, 2018 3:29 PM

Oct 2015
Worst anime ever to watch. Anime pacifists sicken me to my stomach and this takes the whole cake. Why most of them are usually blonde like this annoying maria, Naruto and Vash. If I dropped anime this one would have been one, I hated every character and it was cringing to watch ( I swear I cried from how bad it is).

I felt like the anime bashed Christianity and everything it stood for. The ending was worthless and illogic, like didn't the villagers hated her or why did father in heaven forgave her if those people spoke those things. Was also this a some kind of a twisted story of Mary and Joseph ( they did a bad job at that). I felt also the plot had a pattern and boring ( France and England battle then Maria interferes). Most of these Pacifists like Maria are predictable and Joseph was the second worst shitty character with his useless presence( never know what maria saw in him).

I want to say to the writer PLEASE BRING BACK MY TIME , MONEY AND MEMORY!!!

Worst shit I have watched this year so far, what a bad start to my year 3/10.

Thanks a lot shitty writer( I would have like to tell you in Japanese).
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 7, 2019 3:49 PM

Jun 2014
This was terrible. The story was the joke and the characters can't even be called characters.

1/10
:3
Jan 8, 2020 3:27 PM
Mar 2018
So... did she lose her powers or not? Couldn't really tell in that ending...
Jan 28, 2020 1:29 AM
Mar 2017
Who needs the world peace when you can get good dicking. Or idk what was the point of this anime.
Feb 12, 2020 1:33 PM

Nov 2016
Very satisfied with the finale and pleasantly surprised with the anime as a whole. Came in expecting an ecchi anime with a sorry excuse of an anti-war plot, but got a heartwarming coming of age story with a well implemented metaphor instead. Sure there were some bits I wasn't quite fond of and admittedly, I was disappointed at first due to the lack ecchi xD but overall a very nice package that managed to be funny, dramatic, delightful and most importantly engaging. And compared to other subject matter, I know a bit more about the story of Maria and Josef or about christianity in general, so that contributed to my enjoyment.

7,5/8 almost an 8 for me. Kinda buffled that I never saw someone mentioning this show, but then again, most seasonals, despite being good or even great in some cases end up getting forgotten.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 19, 2020 1:25 AM

Jul 2015
i love this anime because of its smart jabs to the religious fanbois.
Dec 4, 2020 9:02 PM
Apr 2016
The comedy in this anime is just... not for anyone over the age of 14. Not a fan of anything in this show, it just wasn't good.
Dec 9, 2020 3:48 PM

Apr 2012
9/10
When mere mortals and lesser beings were confronted by an actual Archangel they spoke with their hearts and the truth about Maria. Sadly it's easier to lie and be agreeable when your peers ask you to say and do things you really don't want to.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
May 28, 2022 9:26 AM

Mar 2013
I guess I'd like to say the phrase All's well that ends well but seriously, that was rather anticlimactic. I am happy for Maria and Joseph's relationship coming into fruition though.

The ending narration made me realize that this series really tried to make another version of that... read the spoilers for more details. (I didn't really realized it at first only at the end of this episode, lol!)
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 11, 2022 3:33 AM
Apr 2021
Bernard gonna does what he called a Pro Gamer move
Sep 3, 2022 3:14 PM
Sep 2021
nice final battle
Sep 13, 2022 10:51 PM

Apr 2015
So there was no goal, risk or even meaning and out of the all the characters, they chose to kill Bernard? xD
It was enjoyable at times but went down hill after episode 9 and didn't stop until it hit rock-bottom and go beyond that a few
Nov 16, 2022 12:52 PM
Nov 2009
Xupicor said:
So God has all the power needed to help people but doesn't care at all about their misery and prayers, but when someone does care about it - he sends his servant to "restore order", because when he doesn't care - no one else with magical powers should care either. Seems like quite an arrogant and malevolent God (which is funny, because in Christianity God is supposedly absolutely good).

In the end we get a guy that realizes that we should stop counting on God intervention and start acting ourselves if we want anything to be done - quite a commendable stance if you ask me - and this guy gets killed.
The one person that cared about the people and went as far as trying using her powers to help them, even if she just wasn't powerful enough to ever do it on a scale she'd want to - gets forced by emotional blackmail to be a mother and gets her powers taken from her, and she's quite alright with it. She gets "forgiven" but she still gets to be punished.
The archangel - ridden of free will robot-servant of God - learns nothing, and Ezekiel - having actually learned something - gets punished/demoted to a human.

Nothing changes for God, he still doesn't give a poo about anybody's misery and prayers, Michael still will try to stop any magic user from doing what a "omni-benevolent God" should probably do, and wars will still go on. And they lived happily ever after?

Completely underwhelming, anticlimactic, and disappointing ending. I don't remember the last time I watched or read an ending to anything that was this botched.

I'm i ntotal aggreement with you and it seems we are the only one here i don't understand how people can consider this a good ending?
May 16, 2023 6:39 AM

Feb 2021
When I watched it, everything was a chore to get through. Holy heck... Maria is one of my least favorite characters in anime of all time.

I hardly remember what happened in this episode, other than Michael asking people what they though of Maria.

Overall rating: 2/10
Jun 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Jun 2019
My 230th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Sep 6, 3:50 PM

Aug 2008
The story of this seems to be all over the place, very incoherent. So is Maria going to have a virgin birth to Ezekiel? Still going to lose her powers? Talking about stopping wars even with no powers and how the world is vast but will be living in that nearby village? Ehhhh. Was a passable show, will give a 6.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

114 by KhoaVN »»
Jun 10, 2022 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.