Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2013 1:16 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The cat was alien? And it's also a plant uhmm well it has chlorophyll, essentially making it a plant if we are to liken it to a Terran biological analogy. XD An extraterrestrial, mobile flora with feline mimicking ability, capable of human speech, pyrokinetics, manipulative personality and God knows what else... I guess we'll just update the character stats later. LOL

I was expecting Astro Boy and Black Jack to show up as well when the OP was rolling but not a shadow of 'em till the end credits. XP Anyway, it was quite entertaining just to pass the time 5/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 7, 2015 3:45 PM

Aug 2013
This became a lot more interesting than I expected it to be.
Feb 15, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
Rushed as hell. It probably would have been better in a longer format.
May 6, 2015 5:48 AM

Mar 2008
Certainly managed to keep interest, and it wasn't so long and serious a watch that the gaps in narrative become too big a burden.
Apr 8, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2015
We don't get any background on the green cats whatsoever, too bad in that sense. In general it was just ok
Jun 8, 2016 9:14 PM

Dec 2015
It is a simple story delivered in an interesting form (flashbacks jumps). But it also seems terribly compressed. The usual Tezuka design is not a problem for me despite the big gap between characters styles (I even smiled at the review here, describing its Atom/Astro Boy style as typical for the 80s), The few musics were pretty bad (strange, because I like those 80s synth) and I ticked at some SFX.
The ideas in themselves are funny (outer-space invasion in cat disguise through psychological ascendant, they should have make a better fur / the youths losing themselves...) but it is far too short to use any. (and it leaves some big interrogations)

The fact an old man is the main character of a manga adaptation whose source was intended for younger readers (shônen) surprised me a bit.

Bonus: I immediately recognized the cat voice and it was pretty good on it. (Nozawa, DB Gokû's voice)

Enjoyment 4/5
Score: 5-/10
Jan 19, 2019 7:00 PM

Sep 2018
I went into this one not really knowing what to expect. In fact from the box art I expected this to be some sort of touching story about a boy and his magical cat. Boy was I wrong, very wrong. At first I was ready to write this off as a frantically paced rushed mess, which it was, but it was a very enjoyable rushed mess that I'm glad I watched.
Jan 19, 2019 7:12 PM

Sep 2018
tofei said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The cat was alien? And it's also a plant uhmm well it has chlorophyll, essentially making it a plant if we are to liken it to a Terran biological analogy. XD An extraterrestrial, mobile flora with feline mimicking ability, capable of human speech, pyrokinetics, manipulative personality and God knows what else... I guess we'll just update the character stats later. LOL

I was expecting Astro Boy and Black Jack to show up as well when the OP was rolling but not a shadow of 'em till the end credits. XP Anyway, it was quite entertaining just to pass the time 5/10

From what I gather this was meant to be a longer series of releases, which probably explains why Astro Boy and Blackjack show up in the OP. I believe the only other one of the planned series to make it to release was Amefuri Kozou, though there were many other Tezuka OVAs, just not directly released as part of this "Tezuka Osamu Anthology" series.
Apr 6, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2015
That was one mischievous cat but I liked it anyways. This was an interesting watch and I hope to see it again in future.

Ban looked like the monopoly guy though!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 27, 2021 6:53 PM

Jun 2014
This was rather interesting. The idea of killing a cat sounded disturbing, but the cat was in fact, an alien sent from space to corrupt and destroy people.

Jun 12, 2022 8:35 AM

Aug 2017
A bit too fast paced, but I liked it in general. Some good pieces of animation/gore as well (the cat's abilities are scary!). Also: Kaneto Shiozawa's role!!

Man, MAL reviews are extraordinarily bad as always xD And the English wikipedia entry for Lion Books series has some misinformation as well. The airing date was apparently only 6 years after the completion of production. Interesting.

P.S. Now that I think about it, OVAs don't "air" at all, it's a wrong term...
St0rmbladeJun 12, 2022 9:07 AM
Jul 15, 2023 9:01 AM

Jan 2016
Interesting but would have been so much better in a 44min format

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.