Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Memoirs of Amorous Gentlemen (English Edition)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 24, 2014 2:41 PM

Jun 2010
Josh- said:
Fronzel said:
At first I wondered at the decision to make the real woman so beautiful as she's not really any less outwardly appealing than the false-seeming array of identical anime pretty girls (and I wouldn't be surprised to see her as the female lead in a romance anime or some such), but than I realized how clever that was; this is not an issue of what's most visually attractive.

Since she's so good-looking, he can't possibly have left her (as he seems to have) just because he thinks anime girls are better-looking if he's that shallow. The issue lays elsewhere, and it's far more interesting than "fictional women are always beautiful".
I was wondering about that as well. I guess I look at this way: even though she looks moe, she's not a perpetually positive pixie (she can get worried, upset, mad, etc) and she can't be simultaneously "pure" and sexually experienced, like lewd dancing anime girls. Basically she's 2D, but she's not 2D.

It's obvious that a real person is more complex (and therefor difficult) than a fictional character, but I don't think this is expressed in the film. We see a number of photos where she is happy and the one sequence where she's very upset because, presumably, he's broken up with her; at this point he's apparently already decided he prefers fictional women.
Nov 24, 2014 4:05 PM

Jan 2011
j0x said:
lol he dumped his pink haired girlfriend for ecchi anime girl that looks like Stocking from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

VioLink said:
Something related to this will be revealed on the 24th.

i hope its a TV anime lol

Nevermind they were talking about the next animator episode my bad.
[center]
Nov 24, 2014 4:29 PM

Mar 2012
Fronzel said:
It's obvious that a real person is more complex (and therefor difficult) than a fictional character, but I don't think this is expressed in the film.
Couldn't that be exactly what this scene is trying to express?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 24, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2009
VioLink said:
j0x said:
lol he dumped his pink haired girlfriend for ecchi anime girl that looks like Stocking from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

i hope its a TV anime lol

Nevermind they were talking about the next animator episode my bad.

oh thats disappointing
Nov 24, 2014 7:36 PM

Sep 2012
Eh.

It sounded good and was visually interesting.

But as for the "theme" or "story" or whatever you want to call it, I'm not impressed. It was cliche as all hell.

"GUY LOSES GIRLFRIEND AND THEN REGRETS IT" wow so original. Sounds like Jim Carrey romcom.

It felt like an excuse to have visuals of some guy getting mutilated. And tits. Annoyingly violent for the sake of "muh metaphor" when it really just feels like tacky fanservice. The white knight revenge fantasy of tearing apart a guy who dares make a girl cry.

Yawn.

I liked the dangling vagina beads though. That made me laugh.
Nov 24, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
i see the story as escapism gone bad, he tried to get out of the escapism by shooting the blue haired girl but failed, its like its too late for him since she already dumped her pink haired girlfriend so he feel his thinking about deaths/suicide on the later parts of the video/story
Nov 24, 2014 9:37 PM

Mar 2012
Red_Keys said:
Eh.

It sounded good and was visually interesting.
I don't know if you meant it that way, but "visually interesting" sounds more like a detached observation than any sort of praise, haha. For me, this is easily one of the best looking anime I've seen in a while (if not ever).
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 24, 2014 10:28 PM

Jan 2014
Really good overall video and amazing animation, video symbolizes a guy that's in a relationship with his girlfriend but it gets ruined with his obsession of anime and creepy fetishes he's developed from watching hentai.
Nov 24, 2014 10:33 PM

Sep 2013
I'm all for pretty fanservice and this was 7 minutes of pure boobies and ass, very impressively animated too. Its message was quite creepy, poor guy just can't escape the 2D-world.

I'll check out the other 2 videos too later today.
cupcNov 24, 2014 10:37 PM
Nov 25, 2014 1:34 AM

Jan 2009
All that technology and funding wasted on excessive fanservice pandering and cookie cutter soundtrack. All mixed in with a generic premise and oversexualized female characters with no depth

The first song was ok though
The best part was the opening
-
Although, after thinking about it for a bit, this could be some kind of satirical attempt at showing how self destructive otaku culture is

But all of that is lost because the average viewer is going to watch this for the fanservice and shitty music and all the symbolism is lost and rendered null

Still a nice try though
titaniachktNov 25, 2014 1:59 AM
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Nov 25, 2014 4:34 AM
Mar 2014
titaniachkt said:
All that technology and funding wasted on excessive fanservice pandering and cookie cutter soundtrack. All mixed in with a generic premise and oversexualized female characters with no depth

The first song was ok though
The best part was the opening
-
Although, after thinking about it for a bit, this could be some kind of satirical attempt at showing how self destructive otaku culture is

But all of that is lost because the average viewer is going to watch this for the fanservice and shitty music and all the symbolism is lost and rendered null

Still a nice try though

Agreed. It's satire, yes, but it's far too self-indulgent and meaningless to be anything close to to "clever". The animation is decent at best; the sequences only look impressive because not many frames had to be drawn throughout the whole process. There's a lot of reuse and CGI.

Screw the music, though. Jeez.
Nov 25, 2014 9:15 AM

Oct 2007
You know this work kind of proves it's own point in a way cause it's gotten by far the most commentary and viewers of them all using overt sexuality and temptation. It's going to be kind of sad to see interest in this project bottom out with this weeks episode again.
Nov 25, 2014 10:11 AM

Aug 2009
Wow, this was great, especially the second dream right after Hana barfed into Shu's mouth. Good stuff.

I wish this were a separate entry so I could add it to my list and rate it.
Nov 25, 2014 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
literally vomiting fanservice down his throat

quite the social commentary really
Nov 25, 2014 1:50 PM

Oct 2012
Some of these scenes are... ewwwwwww ._.

Eh not a fan of the song really. There's probably some hidden meaning behind all of this that I don't quite get though.
Nov 25, 2014 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
MCsq2 said:

Eh not a fan of the song really. There's probably some hidden meaning behind all of this that I don't quite get though.

some said:
I've seen a few people explain this and I think this makes complete sense.

It's basically about a boy who slowly gains addiction to anime and fantasy, to the point where its just messed up(hence the cute start then it turns red and sexual) and he ends up losing his girlfriend to it.

It starts eating him alive and he tries to fight it and to get back in touch with his girlfriend (the part where he turns into a mech suit and goes FPS mode) but he loses in the end, and his addiction wins.

The part where the female antagonist pops out of the screen, chases him around the room then vomits in his mouth represents the niche market literally vomiting more and more fanservice down your throat.

Best explanation I've seen.
Nov 25, 2014 2:27 PM

Jan 2008
Digitalcommunist said:
MCsq2 said:

some said:
I've seen a few people explain this and I think this makes complete sense.

It's basically about a boy who slowly gains addiction to anime and fantasy, to the point where its just messed up(hence the cute start then it turns red and sexual) and he ends up losing his girlfriend to it.

It starts eating him alive and he tries to fight it and to get back in touch with his girlfriend (the part where he turns into a mech suit and goes FPS mode) but he loses in the end, and his addiction wins.

The part where the female antagonist pops out of the screen, chases him around the room then vomits in his mouth represents the niche market literally vomiting more and more fanservice down your throat.

Best explanation I've seen.

the tl;dr version would be, he gave up his real GF for animu waifu and call of duty.
Nov 25, 2014 6:46 PM

Jan 2009
4chan /a/ posted a incomplete translation of the lyrics here - http://pastebin.com/WDpS6L53
Nov 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Oct 2010
Three words:

Trippy. Hentai. Video.

10/10 mind=blown
Nov 25, 2014 10:02 PM

Oct 2013
i seriously hope this spawns like huge fan-dom of like trip-hop-anime visuals and sounds.

that blew me away.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 25, 2014 11:23 PM

Oct 2012
j0x said:
4chan /a/ posted a incomplete translation of the lyrics here - http://pastebin.com/WDpS6L53
I'm assuming the starred out bits are the incomplete translations.
Nov 25, 2014 11:26 PM

Jan 2009
MCsq2 said:
j0x said:
I'm assuming the starred out bits are the incomplete translations.

yes i think so too, those asterisk maybe the incomplete translations
Nov 25, 2014 11:37 PM

Jan 2013
Went into this not knowing anything about it. Didn't like the music very much until it got towards the end with the electronica (Nipple cannons wut...).
Overall I didn't really understand what was going on but the one thing that I did get was that the guy was regretting something and that was eating at him. (Literally in this case...) This is something I'll have to rewatch several times to really understand what is going on.
Nov 26, 2014 1:00 AM
Apr 2011
10/10
Nov 26, 2014 7:18 AM

Jun 2010
j0x said:

Interesting; while the video is clearly from/within the man's perspective, the lyrics seem to be from the woman's perspective.
Nov 26, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2010
The lyrics are from the perspective of Hana-chan, as she refers to the "her" (Hana) that he created in his conscious that is not actually her.

Also for the first missing lyrics, it says "kimi no soba" which means "by your side."
Nov 26, 2014 9:20 PM

Oct 2013
i expected nothing less from anno and teddyloid. gets better every time i watch it.

Nov 27, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2011
Mindblown !!!!

So in a figurative sense he's dead then.
Nov 28, 2014 2:37 AM

Mar 2013
What was i watching again?
an otaku dream i guess :P
Nov 28, 2014 2:43 AM

Jan 2010
What the hell was that? couldnt make myself to watch it till the end. Music and visuals were aweful.
Nov 28, 2014 3:07 AM

Apr 2014
Wow that was shocking O_O
Nov 28, 2014 4:48 AM
Oct 2014
Aurorae said:
Great commentary on otaku culture. This isn't just about boobs and overly sexualized women. It's so funny to me that this video already has a 'fandom' with sexy fanart and people wanting it to be a 'real anime', like they literally missed the point of the video.

Also people who don't come further than "what the fuck is this?" "what drugs did they take while making this?" "I don't get it but I liked the girls though" like... smh.

My thoughts also. I enjoyed the usage of excessive fan-service, certainly drives home both a point about its inclusion and uneasy feelings while spectating it. I give credit to the creator, there's a lot of raw commentary in such a short period of time and a pretty damn good narrative.

Also its very shiny and things strobe, how could I resist?
Nov 28, 2014 5:36 AM

Jul 2014
wtf what did i just watch :o

I really like the art style though!
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Nov 28, 2014 10:29 AM

Feb 2014
Before this episode came out, this was ranked below 3800. and now its 1300.

It jumped about 2500 ranks, in the last 7 days.
Nov 28, 2014 10:33 AM

Nov 2012
Booty and tits overload; the epitome of fanservice. I loved the visuals even though they were quite outrageous.
Nov 28, 2014 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
Didn't like the music but man, the video, I'd watch it all over again.
Nov 28, 2014 2:49 PM

Nov 2013
That first person perspective was so good!!
Nov 28, 2014 6:33 PM

Oct 2013
silmaril said:
Didn't like the music but man, the video, I'd watch it all over again.
Best part is it automatically repeats. My life is doomed, I am stuck in this loop.
Best Anime of All Time: Otome Dori
Best Manga of All Time: ShindoL Henshin -emergence-
Nov 28, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
the visuals were great and a very fast placed vibe to it, not much of a fan for the hentai moments in it "did not expert it in here" but i still like it, but am i the only one who noted that there was a first person view in this i have seen meany anime but i have yet to see one with a first person in it before, i liked it a lot and hope more shows do so
Nov 29, 2014 12:24 AM

Mar 2013
kevinlowl said:
Best part is it automatically repeats. My life is doomed, I am stuck in this loop.

Part of me wants to think that that's intentional, as it echos the "stuck in a rut/loop" message of the narrative.

I really, really like this video, as well as the music. The second bit is just so damned hypnotic and, frankly, very enticing. As ya can see from my avatar ._. I quite like the masked character.

My interpretation mirrors that of a few other people, but I'm a bit less hard on the Otaku subculture, I suppose. This is a personal story, for this 'character' and not necessarily indicative of EVERY 'Otaku' or the subculture itself:

The reading I took from it was this; He's broken up with or otherwise lost his girlfriend, perhaps over his pre-existing obsession with teh 2D, or for some other reason, and is lying in bed, zoning out, awash in escapism. The easy titillation with little to no input required on his part is a welcoming means of removal from the situation...a means to self gratification without the inherent struggles associated with teh 3D...to get away from the pain.

But he goes too far. He fills his life with it. Fills his time and, by extension, the void left by her with it. More and more until he's reached the tipping point. It's consuming him. The fun, happy facade crumbles away, leaving behind a rabid, raw, fetishized core. And it eats away at him. Literally (in terms of health) and figuratively (in terms of loss of interpersonal relationships).

He remembers the relationship he had. His failures during it. Her attempts to reach him and his subsequent dismissals. He realizes then, too late, that she'd been trying to help. That she was, for lack of a better word, 'real.' He regrets his actions, but can't do a thing about it...but, no! It can't be like that, can it? He can fight to get out of this rut, fight his way out of the escapist nature of his hobbies and work his way back, maybe to be with her once more-

But, no. He's too far gone. It's too easy to slink back and it just overwhelms him. And he wakes up again, to repeat the daily cycle once more.

Which is where the video begins again. :D
Nov 30, 2014 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit, that was fucking amazing. And sexy, incredibly sexy. But just sad and distressing. I wanna give this a 9/10 so bad lol.
Dec 1, 2014 3:01 AM

Jan 2011
I found that pretty underwhelming honestly.
Dec 1, 2014 10:19 AM

Sep 2007
That was pretty awesome

Dec 1, 2014 2:54 PM

Feb 2012
Meh its sexy i guess, the 1st person scene was alright though.
Dec 1, 2014 4:48 PM

Jun 2012
I actually liked the music.
Dec 5, 2014 6:02 PM

Sep 2008
Really cool. I expect people will use this in AMVs now.
Dec 6, 2014 3:26 PM
Dec 6, 2014 4:52 PM
Nov 2013
Is anybody there that know the name of the song and the singer
Dec 7, 2014 2:19 AM
Oct 2013
So sexy. So fascinating
Dec 7, 2014 5:25 AM

Apr 2013
Story: Lots of people say it was about the life of a otaku who's too much into anime. Others say it was just for the boobs and the lulz :D Probably some of both, though it was more of a music video so story's not that important imo.
Characters: We had the typical protagonist who tries to save his girl and gets a powerup along the way and the Bakemonogatari-Tsubasa-like girl with her army of booblaser-shooting chicks. Well I've seen worse in anime xD
Art & Animation: Art was good, seemed a bit off sometimes. Animation was awesome, very fast and fluid but never seemed odd.
Sound: I liked the change of music and every part seemed to fit really well. Well it was a music video after all so it did really well.
Enjoyment: I enjoyed it a lot, not only for the oppai but also for the animation and the music itself.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nihon Animator Mihonichi Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - Oct 1, 2015

51 by AoButa16 »»
Oct 11, 6:26 PM

Poll: » Nihon Animator Mihonichi Episode 13 Discussion

StevenHu - Mar 12, 2015

30 by L-S-M-F-T »»
Mar 2, 12:19 AM

Poll: » Nihon Animator Mihonichi Episode 35 Discussion

Iconoclast - Oct 8, 2015

32 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 17, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Nihon Animator Mihonichi Episode 33 Discussion

dbaranyi - Sep 24, 2015

23 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 17, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Nihon Animator Mihonichi Episode 32 Discussion

Intereo - Sep 17, 2015

35 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 16, 7:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.