Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 24, 2014 8:22 PM

May 2014
It's like hamster wheel, we go over this over and over again.

Data can be classified and the ship leadership has already proven they don't care for Tanikaze, he also blamed himself more for freezing up and getting Hoshjiro killed than he blamed Kunato for giving a false order, he also stated himself that he only fights Gauna and not fellow humans.

On the other hand, Kunato is an important heir of his family which not only produces Type 18 guardians but also has one other very big deal secret that the Sidonia leadership is fully aware of which also plays the part to not punishing him for capital crime.

Anyhow, next episode will be fun fun fun. Believe it! Who knows, maybe we'll get to see even two battles rather than just the one about to begin. And there will be some exposition.
UnsightlyWalrusMay 24, 2014 8:25 PM
May 24, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2014
Kunato!!! What an elfin c*nt!! How can you play with people's LIVES like that?? Jealousy can drive someone to that?? Arghhhhhh!! What a bastard! And he still had the gall to blame Tanikaze for Hoshiro's death?
May 24, 2014 9:54 PM
May 2014
Since Kunato's family are the ones in charge of developing the Type-18 guardians, there's a possibility of the recording from the battle to have accidentally gotten lost.
May 24, 2014 11:27 PM

Jul 2013
YAY Captain's fan service time!!

Kunato is an a-hole. Probably one of the biggest a-hole I've seen in a while. Oh well he'll suffer a terrible fate soon.
May 25, 2014 12:35 AM

Jan 2014
jiraiya_sensei said:

Kunato is an a-hole. Probably one of the biggest a-hole I've seen in a while. Oh well he'll suffer a terrible fate soon.

On a scale of 1 to King Joffrey, how much of an a**hole is Kunato? :p
May 25, 2014 3:47 AM

Nov 2011
hentaiyaro said:
the battle skip too much ..... Izana is not a girl ? dafuq ? hoshijiro turn into gauna T_T .

Do you pay attention to anything at all?

jiraiya_sensei said:

Shit, and people were talking about how Matsutarou's such an asshole
Man, humans nowadays are damn naïve. They know absolutely nothing and act as if they know anything about anything. Shit. Makes me want to twist their nipples out, burn them, and feed them to their parents.

For all we know, Kunato breezes through scot-free, untouched, unharmed. Shit, the bitch could get away with all of it unscathed. Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy fucking shit those sounds......OoOoooOoohh mmy GoOoOooD

I look forward to watching Sidonia every week now for the expert sound engineering, space, OST, and urban design.

What not to look forward to every week on Sidonia: Kunato-Tanikaze relationship (seriously, these kinds of things have been dragging on for far TOO long; this hate-oppression thing), harem, dejection after an intentional or unintentional mistake, and Kunato himself. Shit. And perhaps even just Tanikaze for being such a spineless motherfuck.

YOU SEE.....this has been a recurring problem for SHORT ASS MOTHERFUCKIN CHARACTERS. You see, Murasakibara doesn't take shit from anyone because he has height and that's all he could need/want to feel infinitely superior to anyone else.

The rule of this world: height is might.
If you're short, you've no support.
Get the fuck out of the fucking court.

That means you Tanikaze.

Goddamnit.
zetsu_shorenMay 25, 2014 3:58 AM
May 25, 2014 5:44 AM

Sep 2008
As much of an ahole Kunato is I don't want him to die.
For me he is both tragic character and perfect example of decently written antagonist.
As a matter of fact, I prefer him over Tanikaze, he just seems more like normal human with all his emotions and reactions. Tanikaze is too tame. He seems soft and overly forgiving.

I don't know how he is in manga but in anime Kunato is someone I can symphatize with, someone I can feel sorry for but at the same time hate some of his decisions.
What he did is beyond forgiveness and I still think it is not someone of his intellect would do but what is done is done, moving on.

And to add to that, I don't even consider him "final" villain, I think those council guys would take that title if there was something of sorts here.
As much as I want to see Tanikaze grow I also wanna see how Kunato develops. Is he going to be someone to grow from all the shit happening or is he gonna "transform" into Tobi v2.0, going full evil mode for pettiest of reasons.
May 25, 2014 6:48 AM

Mar 2010
Well I knew Cuntato would get someone killed. Never expected it to be Hoshijiro though.

lol @ Exterminatus. "Kill the mutant. Burn the heretic. Purge the unclean"
WhisperBitMay 25, 2014 7:00 AM
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
May 25, 2014 8:23 AM

Jul 2007
mbdsquad said:
A team mate died because of an idiot's jealousy.
Blame the very person he's been jealous with for the consequences of his retarded, selfish action.
And for the fucking finale, he even told him to not blame him.

Long story short, he just murdered a person. I dunno why no one ever looked on the chat log or how not even one person was suspicious and questioned why the hell the protagonist missed the timing.

I'm so pissed right now but I daresay he's a well-made antagonist for being such a successful scumbag.

He did screw up the mission, but it was Tanikaze not reacting and screwing it all up even further that caused Hoshijiro's death.
May 25, 2014 9:12 AM

Nov 2013
mbdsquad said:
Fai said:

He did screw up the mission, but it was Tanikaze not reacting and screwing it all up even further that caused Hoshijiro's death.

Everybody is blame-able if you put a little effort in your perspective. Tanikaze can be partly blamed on extreme consideration HOWEVER you can't change the fact that PRIME factor for such misery is because of a douchebag SQUAD LEADER who risked the whole operation and probably the whole population because of his inferiority complex and pathetic, selfish ego.

Not to mention being such a dick all the time he even accidentally skewered a stick against a teammate and talked to them to call it quits WITHOUT saying he's sorry. Well, as expected, he came back with a much bigger surprise. Speaking of a surprise, he wanted ANOTHER QUITS but with this time it resulted to the death of one of his direct commands. Yes, yes, blame the death of your soldier to your soldier... Captain, for your selfish actions.

Make me sympathize with this type of person, I double dare you.

I don't think you're supposed to sympathize with him in the first place. But just because he's the primary cause of that disaster doesn't mean you should give Nagate a free pass. They both screwed up, Kunato screwed up a lot more, but that doesn't erase Nagate's fault.
May 25, 2014 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
mbdsquad said:
Botato said:

I don't think you're supposed to sympathize with him in the first place. But just because he's the primary cause of that disaster doesn't mean you should give Nagate a free pass. They both screwed up, Kunato screwed up a lot more, but that doesn't erase Nagate's fault.

The last part is just an expression. Know your meme.

Sure if I have a blame meter right now it would be 9:1 highest score courtesy to Kunato.

If this is a real life scenario and someone died/gravely injured because the team leader of the assault team acted maliciously on his own, whilst you know ALL the backstory and reason for such action, would you judge Tanikaze guilty and deem him blame-able for being bewildered for a few seconds resulting to such outcome? Punishment? Sure, if you say so. But as I've said it would be 9:1 courtesy to Kunato.

I agree with your last sentence though. No need to repeat it however I do not like how SOME of you guys put it like how it was ALL Tanikaze's fault that it happened in the first place.

I would blame the whole team obviously. A team/squad acts as one unit and if one person screws up the rest must fix it, not make it worse.

I'm not trying to put all the blame on Nagate, and I disagree that it's all his fault it happened. However, he froze there like an idiot and not only got himself injured for being slow, but also Hoshijiro died saving him. If he wasn't slow, she wouldn't need to save him and most likely would have survived.
So in the end, part of the blame falls on him. Of course, I blame Kunato first and foremost.
May 25, 2014 9:52 AM

Nov 2013
^Except I only said it twice now, and the second time I added a bit more details.
May 25, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2014
nina4life said:
As much of an ahole Kunato is I don't want him to die.
For me he is both tragic character and perfect example of decently written antagonist.
As a matter of fact, I prefer him over Tanikaze, he just seems more like normal human with all his emotions and reactions. Tanikaze is too tame. He seems soft and overly forgiving.

I don't know how he is in manga but in anime Kunato is someone I can symphatize with, someone I can feel sorry for but at the same time hate some of his decisions.
What he did is beyond forgiveness and I still think it is not someone of his intellect would do but what is done is done, moving on.

And to add to that, I don't even consider him "final" villain, I think those council guys would take that title if there was something of sorts here.
As much as I want to see Tanikaze grow I also wanna see how Kunato develops. Is he going to be someone to grow from all the shit happening or is he gonna "transform" into Tobi v2.0, going full evil mode for pettiest of reasons.

If you feel sorry for kunato now wait till you see what is in store for him in the future...
May 25, 2014 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
Botato said:

I would blame the whole team obviously. A team/squad acts as one unit and if one person screws up the rest must fix it, not make it worse.

I'm not trying to put all the blame on Nagate, and I disagree that it's all his fault it happened. However, he froze there like an idiot and not only got himself injured for being slow, but also Hoshijiro died saving him. If he wasn't slow, she wouldn't need to save him and most likely would have survived.
So in the end, part of the blame falls on him. Of course, I blame Kunato first and foremost.

No way that would happen for real. Kunato is the leader of his squad. If an army leader ever gives a false order on purpose that led to mission failure I'm pretty sure he will get the blame. It's one thing to screw unintentionally, it's another thing to purposely screw up a critical part of the mission especially for such petty reasons.

Tanikaze simply didn't expect Kunato to double cross him and the first thing he would think of is "what the fuck just happened?". In Kunato's ideal scenario, Tanikaze would have died instead of Hoshijiro and the blame, should the recording is ever exposed, would lie totally on Kunato. No sensible person would say "Tanikaze's an idiot for freezing up, he should have known Kunato screwed him intentionally".
May 25, 2014 11:44 AM

Nov 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:
Botato said:

No way that would happen for real. Kunato is the leader of his squad. If an army leader ever gives a false order on purpose that led to mission failure I'm pretty sure he will get the blame. It's one thing to screw unintentionally, it's another thing to purposely screw up a critical part of the mission especially for such petty reasons.

Tanikaze simply didn't expect Kunato to double cross him and the first thing he would think of is "what the fuck just happened?". In Kunato's ideal scenario, Tanikaze would have died instead of Hoshijiro and the blame, should the recording is ever exposed, would lie totally on Kunato. No sensible person would say "Tanikaze's an idiot for freezing up, he should have known Kunato screwed him intentionally".

When did I say the failure of the mission wasn't Kunato's fault?
In this particular situation, the failure of the mission is 100% Kunato's fault there's no arguing this.
Now the death of Hoshijiro, that's mainly Kunato's fault and partly Nagate's. Whether or not you feel freezing up is excusable is different from one person to another.
May 25, 2014 1:08 PM

Jul 2013
Botato said:

Now the death of Hoshijiro, that's mainly Kunato's fault and partly Nagate's. Whether or not you feel freezing up is excusable is different from one person to another.

This I don't agree. Hoshijiro is also "at fault" for disobeying orders not to save Tanikaze. Now I know you're gonna say that Hoshijiro will save him anyway cos she likes him BUT it was simply her own initiative. I don't see how Tanikaze is at fault at all and you're only saying that because it's Hoshijiro who died.

Imagine this similar scenario: A traitorous squad captain gave a false order to his troops knowing full well he's sending them straight to the enemy's trap. His troops were nearly obliterated but they managed to escape at the last moment save for one guy who were still trapped in the enemy's territory because he couldn't move for whatever reason. One soldier raced to save his friend allowing him to escape while dying in the process. Look at that situation on purely objective point of view. You don't know those guys, you don't have any attachment to those guys. How many people you think will blame the soldier's death on the guy he saved?

Or how about those stories about people who died saving a drowned person? how many people you think would blame drowned person saying "It's your fault the guy died to save you, you shouldn't have drowned in the first place"?

From Sidonia's point of view, Tanikaze's at fault because he mistimed the bomb and that led to the death of many pilots but if they know Kunato purposely misled Tanikaze to do so the blame for the pilots' death (including Hoshijiro) would definitely be put on Kunato instead.
MoeGodMay 25, 2014 1:28 PM
May 25, 2014 1:40 PM

Nov 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:

Hoshijiro is also "at fault" for disobeying orders not to save Tanikaze. Now I know you're gonna say that Hoshijiro will save him anyway cos she likes him BUT it was simply her own initiative. I don't see how Tanikaze is at fault at all and you're only saying that because it's Hoshijiro who died.

No I won't say that, and I've already said why I think he's partly to blame for her death.

jiraiya_sensei said:
Imagine this similar scenario: A traitorous squad captain gave a false order to his troops knowing full well he's sending them straight to the enemy's trap. His troops were nearly obliterated but they managed to escape at the last moment save for one guy who were still trapped in the enemy's territory because he couldn't move for whatever reason. One soldier raced to save his friend allowing him to escape while dying in the process. Look at that situation on purely objective point of view. You don't know those guys, you don't have any attachment to those guys. How many people you think will blame the soldier's death on the guy he saved?

It depends on the 'whatever reason' he couldn't move. In Nagate's case, he was able to move but didn't.

jiraiya_sensei said:
Or how about those stories about people who died saving a drowned person? how many people you think would blame drowned person saying "It's your fault the guy died to save you, you shouldn't have drowned in the first place"?

Different situation. Also it depends on how the person drowned. Were they trying to do something stupid and messed up? Did they accidentally fall in water after hitting their head somehow? etc..

jiraiya_sensei said:
From Sidonia's point of view, Tanikaze's at fault because he mistimed the bomb and that led to the death of many pilots but if they know Kunato purposely misled Tanikaze to do so I'm sure all of them would put the blame for the pilots' death on Kunato instead.

Of course they will blame Kunato. And like I said, if they know the full story and how Nagate didn't move when shit hit the fan, it would be up to each person to decide if Hoshijiro's death was his fault or not.
For all we know, Nagate himself might be putting the blame on himself for what happened.
May 25, 2014 1:42 PM

Jul 2010
KUNATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Waiting for him to die painfully.

Anyway, heck, such anxiety.
May 25, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
Jelly Kunato runs over Nagate like a pushover
I hope Hoshijiro zombie make a successful revenge next
May 25, 2014 2:35 PM

Jul 2013
Botato said:

Different situation. Also it depends on how the person drowned. Were they trying to do something stupid and messed up? Did they accidentally fall in water after hitting their head somehow? etc..

Same situation. They'll be blamed if they did something stupid but shouldn't be put accountable for their savior's death. It's one thing to shoulder responsibility for their own mistake (in both cases the possibility of their own death) but other people coming to their rescue and dying is something out of their hands. The savior made the choice to rescue, not the person who drowned. Their death is an unfortunate incident but still not the rescued person's fault unless the person purposely hindered the savior.

Tanikaze freezing up was never his fault in the first place. Even seasoned pilots like Akai's squad made irrational decisions unbecoming of a soldier during a real battle with Gauna. I already said he didn't expect Kunato to double cross him and him being shocked was understandable. Plus him being "unable to move" was really not that long, while he was still wondering what went wrong the Gauna hit him and almost knocked him out making him unable to control his gardes.
May 25, 2014 8:27 PM
Jul 2012
Who's really the bad guy? Gauna or humans. Departure folks are toast.
May 25, 2014 8:46 PM

Dec 2013
What a action! Now I don't know nothing.

Good job I think.
May 25, 2014 11:17 PM

May 2009
Lets all root for Kunato's death
May 26, 2014 12:27 AM

Oct 2007
I continue to just love the sheer passion and drive behind Kunato. Like I get his character completely and I think if he ever realizes the irony that his whole image of himself as the shining knight that did everything the hard way and deserves to be the hero of Sidonia for it is a sham that it'll be an interesting turn of events. The guy is just a classic example of someone that could have been great but just let pride and desire overcome the better parts of his nature like his piloting ability. He also could clearly be a great and charismatic leader for Sidonia on the frontline but instead lets his passionate hatred of Tanikaze undermine that aspect of his character as well. What seals the deal for the irony of his character is that the target of his revenge ends up being the only person he ever truly seemed to care about aside from himself. That seals the deal as well as what is sure to be a long and bitter rivalry between him and Tanikaze.
May 26, 2014 12:41 AM

Nov 2013
Already established Kunato as most hated character this season.
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
May 26, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:
Same situation. They'll be blamed if they did something stupid but shouldn't be put accountable for their savior's death. It's one thing to shoulder responsibility for their own mistake (in both cases the possibility of their own death) but other people coming to their rescue and dying is something out of their hands. The savior made the choice to rescue, not the person who drowned. Their death is an unfortunate incident but still not the rescued person's fault unless the person purposely hindered the savior.

Tanikaze freezing up was never his fault in the first place. Even seasoned pilots like Akai's squad made irrational decisions unbecoming of a soldier during a real battle with Gauna. I already said he didn't expect Kunato to double cross him and him being shocked was understandable. Plus him being "unable to move" was really not that long, while he was still wondering what went wrong the Gauna hit him and almost knocked him out making him unable to control his gardes.

Had the drowned person not made the dumb stunt in the first place NO ONE would have to make that decision.

In a life or death situation like the one he was in, he has to react quickly or things will go downhill, what happened to the 4 elites is proof of that. Even if he was double crossed his top priority is survival and eliminating the enemy, not getting confused, he failed to react in time and that's why I put part of the blame on him.
We keep coming back to the same point, so let's just leave it at that: I blame him, you don't.
May 26, 2014 5:26 AM

Jul 2012
“But I’m not a girl.”

Even with that 3rd gender stuff, this is probably the most legit trap ever made!

10/10 best anime ever
May 26, 2014 5:35 AM

Jan 2010
Kunato is one of the biggest dicks I have ever seen in anime.
May 26, 2014 6:58 AM

Nov 2012
Well, I really like how Nagate treated his withdrawal much better than other mecha protagonists. He knows his responsibilities and follows through with them.
May 26, 2014 1:34 PM
Aug 2013
I was so mad I almost punched my computer screen. I hope Kunato has the worst death possible.
May 27, 2014 1:53 AM
Aug 2011
kunato is a degenarate who deserves to be used in human-gauna experiments. And Tanikaze is just Shinji level wuss. Also making an elite army from 15y.o emotionally unstable children is beyond any logic.
May 27, 2014 3:13 AM

Nov 2013
baerithrine said:
kunato is a degenarate who deserves to be used in human-gauna experiments. And Tanikaze is just Shinji level wuss. Also making an elite army from 15y.o emotionally unstable children is beyond any logic.

He is far from Shinji, otherwise he would refuse to pilot for 2-3 eps, bringing Sidonia on the verge of destruction :D
May 27, 2014 3:27 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Plot showing Tanikaze with your feet on the ground.
If there is no justice of men, remember that the divine always hits and is never wrong.
Beautiful unpredictability of the story, in the end, I am more and more convinced will only Tanikaze and someone else.
Narration exciting, a good balance between moments of reflection and anguish, followed by those in whose reign the anger and moments when you feel the tension for the upcoming battle.
Technically it is well crafted episode. From the promo, it seems that the next should be a good episode.
Hoshijiro goodbye, I wonder if the same fate will too Izana.
Opening too fitting with the story, Yay!
May 27, 2014 3:57 AM

Dec 2010
That sly fox Kunato..

I feel that Hoshijiro was right that the Gauna are trying to communicate with humanity though.
May 27, 2014 4:21 AM

Jun 2008
That 2 person bathysphere is REALLY BAD luck... Akai and Momose got in together, then Hoshijiro and Nagate got in together.

Thats the last time any pair ever got in together again XD.
May 27, 2014 5:30 AM

Sep 2012
These "Knights of Sidonia" seriously need to man the fuck up and stop acting like fresh recruits. I mean, just compare them to Muvluv's TSF pilots. The difference is like night and day.

I'm loving the environment and overall premise of this anime, but by god, the characters seriously piss me off. Tanikaze impressed me when he solo'd the gauna, but what's with all these useless pilots? The "elite four" they chose at first were so fucking useless I thought they were first-timers. Didn't they train in sims? Why'd they freak out in their first real deployment against a gauna?
May 27, 2014 6:01 AM

Nov 2013
SleepingEntity said:
These "Knights of Sidonia" seriously need to man the fuck up and stop acting like fresh recruits. I mean, just compare them to Muvluv's TSF pilots. The difference is like night and day.

I'm loving the environment and overall premise of this anime, but by god, the characters seriously piss me off. Tanikaze impressed me when he solo'd the gauna, but what's with all these useless pilots? The "elite four" they chose at first were so fucking useless I thought they were first-timers. Didn't they train in sims? Why'd they freak out in their first real deployment against a gauna?

Because it was their first time ever fighting a gauna in a 100 years, no one has experience with them and simulators are different from real life experience.
May 27, 2014 6:08 AM

Nov 2013
Yeah, Muv Luv pilots had 30 years of expirience, the first battles were even more shitty,don't you remember the 8 minutes death rule?;D
May 27, 2014 6:12 AM

Sep 2012
Botato said:
SleepingEntity said:

Because it was their first time ever fighting a gauna in a 100 years, no one has experience with them and simulators are different from real life experience.

Then it's a shitty simulator. Of course sims can't replicate the fear of death, but the point of them is so you can respond logically to a situation in which you have some familiarity.

I find it impossible to believe that with their survival banking on their defense against the gauna, that their soldiers lack the adequate experience to effectively take a single one down. If anything, I'd expect them to be incredibly well-trained, because the lives of EVERYONE on board depends on it.

I hate to repeat myself, but I'm comparing the response of Sidonia's pilots to Muvluv's and... yeah, it's not even close.

sadfacelv said:
Yeah, Muv Luv pilots had 30 years of expirience, the first battles were even more shitty,don't you remember the 8 minutes death rule?;D

I'm not referring to the death rate. That can't be helped (different enemies, etc.)

What I'm saying is unbelievable is how the pilots act. In Sidonia, their elite four just freaked and got destroyed. Even in Muvluv, in Shirogane's first encounter with real BETA, he freaked, but he followed his training (somewhat). That goes for most of the other pilots too. They were just more... I don't know... mature, I guess? They understood the gravity of the situation they were in and responded realistically, even if they didn't want to die.

Also, you didn't have retarded shits like Kunato risking the lives of everyone, literally. Why he was not immediately designated as unfit to command is beyond my comprehension.

That all said, I'm actually really enjoying this anime. Just, please, make the pilots more useful...
SleepingEntityMay 27, 2014 6:20 AM
May 27, 2014 6:18 AM

Nov 2013
SleepingEntity said:
Then it's a shitty simulator. Of course sims can't replicate the fear of death, but the point of them is so you can respond logically to a situation in which you have some familiarity.

I find it impossible to believe that with their survival banking on their defense against the gauna, that their soldiers lack the adequate experience to effectively take a single one down. If anything, I'd expect them to be incredibly well-trained, because the lives of EVERYONE on board depends on it.

I hate to repeat myself, but I'm comparing the response of Sidonia's pilots to Muvluv's and... yeah, it's not even close.

I don't even know who that other squad is, but whatever.
Being in simulator is vastly different than fighting for real. When in a simulator if you screw up it's fine, in real life you don't have the luxury of being at ease. Real fear is one of the biggest reasons a perfect soldier in a simulator might fuck up really badly in a REAL life or death situation, especially considering they haven't seen a gauna in 100 years. Also you have the fact that there was a couple among the four, that complicated things a lot and was one of the main reasons they broke out of formation and didn't follow the plan.
May 27, 2014 6:29 AM

Sep 2012
Botato said:
SleepingEntity said:

I don't even know who that other squad is, but whatever.
Being in simulator is vastly different than fighting for real. When in a simulator if you screw up it's fine, in real life you don't have the luxury of being at ease. Real fear is one of the biggest reasons a perfect soldier in a simulator might fuck up really badly in a REAL life or death situation, especially considering they haven't seen a gauna in 100 years. Also you have the fact that there was a couple among the four, that complicated things a lot and was one of the main reasons they broke out of formation and didn't follow the plan.

No, you don't quite understand the point of a simulator. They're not just for "hey, take a look: that's a gauna, so learn how to kill it, okay?"

It's more like "Keep training in the simulator until you know the gauna's movements inside and out. Whenever it sends any attack, you should know and execute the perfect manouvre and counterattack. Do this until it's deeply ingrained in your reflexes and muscle memory, and is as natural as breathing."

If they had proper simulator training, the real thing would be no different to the sim, because to them, the chance of dying would effectively be 0%.

As an example, it's like me giving you a year to play your favourite FPS game against medium-level bots (or whatever). Then I say I will shoot you in the head if you cannot defeat the bot in one round. Sure, the fear of death is there, but when you've trained inside and out, it's not even a remote possibility. THAT'S what sims are for.

Then again, I have no idea how much Sidonia pilots train, so maybe it's all moot. But when the lives of everyone depend on them, well I'd expect them to be quite well-trained.

But again, I'm getting a bit heated. I don't hate the pilots THAT much; I just think they're a little unrealistic in their abilities. Oh, and most of my hate is for Kunato anyway.
SleepingEntityMay 27, 2014 6:35 AM
May 27, 2014 6:46 AM

Nov 2013
For one thing you seem to underestimate the effect fear can have on some people. It might not affect some people in the slightest, it might make others screw up badly. I don't think a simulator can simulate fear THAT well unless it makes the trainee somehow unaware that he is in a safe simulator. Also the whole thing about people depending on them just makes it worse sometimes, even if the pilot is well trained it only adds pressure and nervousness on the pilot. So no it's not always a secret power up that makes the mc invincible.
Also, the gauna were shown to have abilities that humans were not aware of. Like the laser hyggs cannon or whatever that was. So yes, the simulator isn't perfect and the pilots themselves aren't perfect either and can mess up.
They are realistic imo, just because they trained a lot doesn't somehow make them flawless soldiers that can't make mistakes, especially when it's their first mission.
May 27, 2014 7:19 AM

Nov 2013
SleepingEntity said:

I'm not referring to the death rate. That can't be helped (different enemies, etc.)

What I'm saying is unbelievable is how the pilots act. In Sidonia, their elite four just freaked and got destroyed. Even in Muvluv, in Shirogane's first encounter with real BETA, he freaked, but he followed his training (somewhat). That goes for most of the other pilots too. They were just more... I don't know... mature, I guess? They understood the gravity of the situation they were in and responded realistically, even if they didn't want to die.

Also, you didn't have retarded shits like Kunato risking the lives of everyone, literally. Why he was not immediately designated as unfit to command is beyond my comprehension.

That all said, I'm actually really enjoying this anime. Just, please, make the pilots more useful...

If you read spinoffs and other stuff, there were a lot of cases when pilots (mostly women) freaked out and died the same way, Takeru is special case, he had MC plot armor, he survived despite his mech being torn in a half if I remember correctly -_-
Besides few BETA escaped from laboratory weren't really as dangerous as that gauna IMHO. Btw, I really didn't like how MUv Luv OP pilots were behaving like school kids in non battle situations, like romance and stuff, I guess the same is here.
May 27, 2014 11:02 AM

May 2014
SleepingEntity said:

Rank doesn't always mean everything. In Attack on Titan, Annie Leonhardt killed all the members of Levi's squad and defeated Eren in his titan form afterwards. And I'm sure there's more examples out there.

Furthermore, you shouldn't underestimate the Gauna - remember that one was able to create a huge Higgs particle cannon, which the Sidonia pilots had never seen before. And you're going to see what they're capable of in episode 8, and it only gets worse.

Also, ligonis is a fail troll with shit taste.
DeicideVAug 9, 2016 2:14 PM
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 27, 2014 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
SleepingEntity said:

No, you don't quite understand the point of a simulator. They're not just for "hey, take a look: that's a gauna, so learn how to kill it, okay?"

It's more like "Keep training in the simulator until you know the gauna's movements inside and out. Whenever it sends any attack, you should know and execute the perfect manouvre and counterattack. Do this until it's deeply ingrained in your reflexes and muscle memory, and is as natural as breathing."

If they had proper simulator training, the real thing would be no different to the sim, because to them, the chance of dying would effectively be 0%.

Knights of Sidonia is spectacular for what it delivers. Mostly I'd say the realism and dark atmosphere it manages to create without the need of a "shocking factor".

That said, I wouldn't count on the simulators being any good either. At the beginning of the series, we are shown of Tanikaze's score of 99.999 (can't remember, max score anyways). He achieved that score due to his amazing dodging skills and for a killing blow.

Now, one can argue of how the system score works, but thats just an indication. The elite four pilots didnt even manage to get half of Tanikaze's score, which means they had a few screw ups here and there, and bear in mind that the scores indicated the BEST SCORES, not the average scores of all simulations done.

Brushing that aside, I wouldnt count on the simulators being perfect either. Sure humanity has advanced and the proportions of the technological advancements are sky high, but that doesnt ensure any perfections. There's nothing limiting us to believe that the simulators may be flawed. Just like games, one can speculate that they're simply a "simple" (roughly) simulation of how a Gauna can react. Having also been built around fights that occured 100 years earlier, I'd say they may be very outdated, thus a lot of Gauna's moves can be deemed unknown (Higgs particle weapon, or the Gauna maneuvering around the mass bullet, even normal attack patterns).

SleepingEntity said:

As an example, it's like me giving you a year to play your favourite FPS game against medium-level bots (or whatever). Then I say I will shoot you in the head if you cannot defeat the bot in one round. Sure, the fear of death is there, but when you've trained inside and out, it's not even a remote possibility. THAT'S what sims are for.

That's a rather bad example. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the example but not with the proportions it's being metaphored for.

What I mean is, you might be able to win 1000 out of 1000 fights with a certain-difficulty's bot due to excessive training, but I don't think this example fits well with Knights of Sidonia, if at all.

In KoS, while you may train with Gauna Bots, that doesn't mean the difficulty will remain the same in real combat. You can learn 100% of a Bot's patterns, way of thinking, and everything because the way it was made was limited. It was created by a human mind, thus its efficiency is limited to what the developers of the simulator could comprehend. Theres no Higgs Cannon in the simulator cause it was never encountered. So even if you master the simulator entirely, you aren't assured that you'l have perfect chances to survive.

Also don't forget, Gauna are sentient. They can think on their on own and must be in no way considered to be simple-minded. It's like playing with real players on FPS games. The difference between bots and humans is extremely different, if not entirely.

SleepingEntity said:

Then again, I have no idea how much Sidonia pilots train, so maybe it's all moot. But when the lives of everyone depend on them, well I'd expect them to be quite well-trained.

That's a fine point, could be likely.

KazuhoYoshii said:

AoT

Furthermore, you shouldn't underestimate the Gauna - remember that one was able to create a huge Higgs particle cannon, which the Sidonia pilots had never seen before. And you're going to see what they're capable of in episode 8, and it only gets worse.

I'd refrain from posting spoiled content from other shows if I were you. Many people can and might report you for that. Atleast put a spoiler tag and name it SnK/AoT.

Moderator Edit: Please do not quote the spoiler because then they would not be able to fix it because it is now in your post.
Suzune-chanMay 27, 2014 5:51 PM
May 27, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
I hope Kunato turns into one of those things at the end and Tanikaze
man well i guess there's no room for romance in this anime 0_0
overall a good episode it's crazy how much this reminds me of snk only its not shounen and o yeah fucking SPACE XD
that ending >.> Cliffhangers are real!
[/quote]
May 28, 2014 4:00 AM

Sep 2012
mbdsquad said:
SleepingEntity said:

But again, I'm getting a bit heated. I don't hate the pilots THAT much; I just think they're a little unrealistic in their abilities. Oh, and most of my hate is for Kunato anyway.

*facepalm*

the chance of dying would effectively be 0%

I'll be frank. This is the best bullshit I've heard this 2014. Up to you though if you want to take it good or bad.

Going by your logic, all world professional FPS gamers must be gods in the battlefield. I wonder why the military or navy in their respective country aren't recruiting these guys. They should send them to Iraq or Pakistan since they're top class expendables.

Because moving your arm is different from moving your mouse, not to mention several other obvious factors. Moving a mech in outer space is, however, quite similar to moving a mech in simulated space. I'd even dare to say that the simulators probably make their mechs move EXACTLY like the real ones (except for mechanical errors, obviously).

On a real battlefield, dealing with unknowns and enemy tactics (flanks, reinforcements, etc.) is the biggest problem for simulations. Strangely though, I didn't see any of that in the 4v1 against the standard-looking gauna.

I really don't want to sound offensive, but you clearly didn't think this one through. Responding with "facepalm" is also quite a poor tactic. If you disagree, use logic, not condescension.
SleepingEntityMay 28, 2014 4:06 AM
May 28, 2014 6:26 AM

Apr 2013
I knew it was all that envy dude's doing. When is it judgment time?
May 29, 2014 3:00 AM
Jun 2013
FlamingYu said:
I knew it was all that envy dude's doing. When is it judgment time?

I hope he gets shred to parts just as Hashijiro, even something worse.

May 29, 2014 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Fuck...
Poor Hoshijiro. That really hit me hard.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

304 by setarcos »»
Jun 9, 4:29 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

228 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 26, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.