Forum Settings
Forums

'Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: Case Series' Manga to Receive TV Anime Adaptation Airing April 2014

New
Feb 13, 2014 11:35 PM

Feb 2012
According to a scan from the upcoming issue of Weekly Shounen magazine, manga series Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: Case Series will be receiving a TV anime adaptation that will begin airing April 5, 2014, titled Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R (Returns). The casts remain the same as the old series.

The Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo series has had multiple movies and OVAs, along with a long-running TV anime series which aired from 1997 to 2000.

Source: Scan via ANN, Oricon Style via. 47 news

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns on MAL
NaruleachApr 27, 2014 8:03 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 13, 2014 11:43 PM
Mar 2011
more Jikenbo is good
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 13, 2014 11:46 PM

Nov 2011
Someone on the ANN boards mentioned about the show taking Space Brother's time slot. Does that mean Space Bros will end soon?
Feb 13, 2014 11:50 PM
Mar 2012
Stark700 said:
Someone on the ANN boards mentioned about the show taking Space Brother's time slot. Does that mean Space Bros will end soon?

I guess it's either Space Bros will end or the Space Bros time slot will be changed again.
Feb 13, 2014 11:55 PM
Mar 2011
now all i want is another video game
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 14, 2014 12:00 AM

Nov 2011
Great. Watched the TV series while it aired. Tried to re-watch recently, only to find it isn't fully subbed. Hopefully this is a decent adaptation and will get subbed.
Feb 14, 2014 12:07 AM

Aug 2011
Great news, about time after i finished the game

**☾**
Feb 14, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2010
biggest news here is that its taking Space Brothers timeslot... and that makes zero sense since its been doing great in the ratings, has plenty of material still left to cover and an anime movie coming out in August. Why can the anime now? They've been doing tons of filler and slow pacing recently too, if it was going to end why not just cover the rest of the content available?

Feb 14, 2014 12:33 AM

Dec 2012
Good to hear! Hopefully, someone would be willing to sub it, this time.
Feb 14, 2014 12:33 AM

Aug 2009
I doubt Space Brothers is ending. I can't get into it myself, but it seems to be popular with most ppl. I've heard a lot of good things about the manga, but I've yet to see any of its adaptations. Should interesting to finally see what this series is about.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 14, 2014 12:58 AM

Jul 2013
battosai-01 said:
I doubt Space Brothers is ending. I can't get into it myself, but it seems to be popular with most ppl. I've heard a lot of good things about the manga, but I've yet to see any of its adaptations. Should interesting to finally see what this series is about.

I've seen quite a bit of its live-action series. It's kinda like Detective Conan where the MC solves the murder cases that happened wherever he goes lol. Though I don't know the main plot of this series whereas Detective Conan is to find the identities of the group that turned him into a kid.

Feb 14, 2014 1:02 AM

Apr 2011
So, uh... is this gonna be a remake or a continuation?
Feb 14, 2014 1:37 AM

Feb 2011
Hopefully this new series could get fansubbers to sub the rest of the older one... or at least, that's what I hope :/
Feb 14, 2014 3:45 AM

Sep 2011
At least I wouldn't spend my time to watch the first one if it is going to be remake :D
Feb 14, 2014 4:09 AM

May 2008
yhunata said:

'Case series' manga is a sequel to File series.
Feb 14, 2014 4:21 AM

Apr 2011
Psyche_Izaya said:
yhunata said:

Well, that sucks. Is the File series entirely adapted in the earlier TV series?
Feb 14, 2014 4:21 AM

Aug 2008
RyanSaotome said:
biggest news here is that its taking Space Brothers timeslot... and that makes zero sense since its been doing great in the ratings, has plenty of material still left to cover and an anime movie coming out in August. Why can the anime now? They've been doing tons of filler and slow pacing recently too, if it was going to end why not just cover the rest of the content available?
The ratings have been good compared to other anime, but not that good for the timeslot. Kekkaishi was getting 7-9% when it aired before Detective Conan before it ended up being demoted to an after midnight timeslot (this was when Conan aired on Mondays, but it's still the most comparable series).

Also there really isn't that many chapters left. The manga is only around 50 chapters ahead, and since Space Brothers is renewed in 4-cour blocks that leaves around 75 chapters for 57 episodes (with a minimum 30 chapter gap). It's doable, but there would need a big pace change. Despite popular belief the recent episodes have still been around 2 chapters per ep.
Feb 14, 2014 6:19 AM

Aug 2013
I've seen every Kindaichi Live-Actions and they're pretty engaging in spite of somewhat cheesy dialogues. The differences with Detective Conan is that Kindaichi consist of much more complex murder case, often stretch to more than 10 chapters for each case, more grounded and down-to-earth (it has no ridiculous sci-fi gadget that Conan posseses nor body-shrinking drugs), and always involve suspects with heavily tragic background whose only motivation for committing murder is revenge. Among all of the chapters, i find the Phantom Opera House to be the most engaging, literally blew my mind at the revelation part. And this is what i wish to be prioritized over for the upcoming anime.
Feb 14, 2014 6:23 AM

Apr 2010
I just started watching the original series a few weeks ago. Hopefully it gets subbers to finish subbing the old series. Might be a nice watch.

HOWEVER, don't they fucking touch my Space Brothers.
Feb 14, 2014 6:38 AM

Nov 2008
Been meaning to watch this anime for a while guess I better start now so I can catch up with this new one coming.
Feb 14, 2014 6:59 AM

Jul 2011
Please, make that the older series get subbed because this.
Feb 14, 2014 7:55 AM

Feb 2010
Oh boy.

This is a continuation but it's okay because Kindaichi cases are episodic in nature. Also, iirc, one of the murder arc from the CASE series was adapted before. So this is just using whatever new material not seen in its anime incarnation.
Feb 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Nov 2010
pralan said:
Yeah really. I've been wanting to watch the old series for years.
Feb 14, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2010
Before the knock off claim starts in, Kindaichi was serialized in 1992, Conan was 1994.

They are basically of the same genre, dealing with whodunit murder mystery. The main gist of the whole series is to encourage the audience to solve the case as the show goes on. Clues can be subtle though but it will usually appear for a brief while. And yes, Kindaichi cases are much more grounded and psychological in nature.

http://i.imgur.com/MtEWzJX.png?1?4146

Says it all at the end of the each episode where they prompt the audience to participate.
live2winFeb 14, 2014 8:12 AM
Feb 14, 2014 8:16 AM

Nov 2007
Wow, really? I was half expecting news of a new jdrama season with the cast that's done the last two specials, but getting more anime instead was unexpected, and honestly more interesting for me too. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this will go, this franchise is such a favorite of mine!
Feb 14, 2014 8:19 AM

Apr 2010
llamaben said:
RyanSaotome said:
The ratings have been good compared to other anime, but not that good for the timeslot. Kekkaishi was getting 7-9% when it aired before Detective Conan before it ended up being demoted to an after midnight timeslot (this was when Conan aired on Mondays, but it's still the most comparable series).

Also there really isn't that many chapters left. The manga is only around 50 chapters ahead, and since Space Brothers is renewed in 4-cour blocks that leaves around 75 chapters for 57 episodes (with a minimum 30 chapter gap). It's doable, but there would need a big pace change. Despite popular belief the recent episodes have still been around 2 chapters per ep.

Its not getting closer to the manga any more then any other long running show. One Piece has been doing 1 chapter an episode for years, and that would give Space Brothers more then enough breathing room. Could throw in a filler arc too.

Feb 14, 2014 9:43 AM

May 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
pralan said:
Yeah really. I've been wanting to watch the old series for years.
I've been also planning to watch the series for a long time now. So, let's hope for the best! :)
Feb 14, 2014 9:52 AM

Jun 2011
More Kindaichi! I haven't finish the original, and sort of forgotten about it. Cool reminder.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 14, 2014 12:35 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah!!!!
Feb 14, 2014 12:37 PM

Jun 2012
NoSurrender1690 said:
more Jikenbo is good
Feb 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Sep 2009
Fantastic news! I've been waiting for someone to sub the original series for years but it seems that no one is going to do that. I'll be watching this one and maybe it'll remind some group about the old one.

Other than that, I'm a HUGE Detective Conan fan myself and I feel like we seriously need more detective anime shows! they're always entertaining and informative.

can't wait for April.. seems like it's going to be one of the most amazing anime seasons in a long times!
Skyclad-ObserverFeb 14, 2014 3:28 PM
Feb 14, 2014 2:45 PM

Jul 2012
FCK YEAH :D I like the manga and some of the OVAs too, so this is a delight. Plus, it's airing next season? Yessss.

Post-Apocalypse said:
Other than that, I'm a HUGE Detective Conan myself and I feel like we seriously need more detective anime shows! they're always entertaining and informative.

^
Feb 14, 2014 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
I watched Kindaichi a while back but never finished :/ guess its about time I start to finish it so I can watch this one.

Feb 14, 2014 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
YEY FOR DETECTIVE FICTION!!!

Feb 14, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2011
Hiryu12 said:

ewww
Feb 14, 2014 3:31 PM
Mar 2012
yhunata said:
Psyche_Izaya said:
yhunata said:

Well, that sucks. Is the File series entirely adapted in the earlier TV series?

ANN and the scan there aren't specifically mentioned "Case series", it only mentions "Kindaichi Case Files" which is the name that Tokyopop used for "Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo"

I wonder where is the "Case series" on the 1st post on this thread came from.
Feb 14, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
Polychrome said:
Hiryu12 said:

ewww
I believe you're referring to your carpet.

Feb 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Jun 2012
Hiryu12 said:
Polychrome said:
Hiryu12 said:

ewww
I believe you're referring to your carpet.

ewww
Feb 14, 2014 4:30 PM

May 2012
Yes! but what exactly is this going to be adapting? The "case series" only or what... Is it going to be like 24 episodes or something?

It's going to follow Hajime no Ippos footsteps hmm?

OMG so hyped.. I've always loved the Anime version over the manga so much more.
k11chiFeb 14, 2014 4:39 PM
Feb 14, 2014 5:01 PM
Dec 2013
Oh so "one-hour Detective" timeslot will be revived?
Feb 14, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2012
pralan said:

+1.

Looking forward to this anime. Mysteriesu... :D

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Feb 15, 2014 3:14 AM

May 2009
Japan is really an interesting country. If it was US, the mangaka of Kindaichi would have been long sued for using Kosuke Kindaichi's name without permission.
bergilFeb 15, 2014 8:02 AM
Feb 15, 2014 3:31 AM
Apr 2013
Very sure this would be excellent news for whodunit manga fans including me - Kindaichi was a classic detective manga, heck it even came out earlier than Detective Conan!

Also the post at ANN did not mention this would be an adaptation of the Case Series. 6 out of the 7 Case story arcs were already adapted in the earlier TV anime.

So there might be two ways the production team could go about doing this anime:
1. Re-do the entire first season anime which adapted cases with better ratings (and what made Kindaichi so memorable in the hearts of old fans).

2. Adapt the cases not adapted yet and make them a continuation of the OVA series. The OVAs I mentioned refer to the Third Phantom Opera Murders and the Vampire Murders, which both came out in 2007, as well as the Black Magic Murders that came out last year. Personally I think this would be more likely because at the end of the Black Magic Murders OVA,
Feb 15, 2014 6:27 AM

Jun 2009
if a new restart, I'm gonna watch but if it isn't I don't want it.

and btw
Solkiskey said:

HOWEVER, don't they fucking touch my Space Brothers.
Feb 15, 2014 6:37 AM

May 2013
This is great! I've read a few Kindaichi cases and they were pretty good, but never got around to watching the anime. It's always good to have more mystery anime, since they're so rare, and I'm a huge Detective Conan fan, so I look forward to watching an anime adaptation of the manga that inspired DC.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 15, 2014 8:01 AM

May 2009
Kindaichi didn't inspire DC.
Feb 15, 2014 9:03 AM

May 2012
How could they sue Kindaichi for the name though? It's not like this Kindaichi is the Kindaichi, but the *supposed* grandson of the Kindaichi.
bergil said:

Well Kindaichi and DC have this similar magician type of person there going on, it's not the first time that someone like Lupin is being used in detective fiction... It's kinda not like that for Kindaichi though, but it has one case and I guess a recurring villain.

Hmm then again I forgot that Kaito appeared 5 years before Kindaichi came out so whateeevs.
k11chiFeb 15, 2014 9:07 AM
Feb 15, 2014 9:36 AM

May 2009
k11chi said:
How could they sue Kindaichi for the name though? It's not like this Kindaichi is the Kindaichi, but the *supposed* grandson of the Kindaichi.
bergil said:

Well Kindaichi and DC have this similar magician type of person there going on, it's not the first time that someone like Lupin is being used in detective fiction... It's kinda not like that for Kindaichi though, but it has one case and I guess a recurring villain.

Hmm then again I forgot that Kaito appeared 5 years before Kindaichi came out so whateeevs.

I'm talking about the original "grandpa" Kindaichi, who is a popular fictional detective in Japan. They used his name in the manga without asking for permission.
bergilFeb 15, 2014 9:40 AM
Feb 15, 2014 10:23 AM

Jul 2012
^ Also relating to the whole "suing" topic, didn't the author (of Kindaichi manga) steal a lot of actual detective stories? : o

not that the fact that he stole will make me not watch this LOL.
Feb 15, 2014 10:37 AM

Dec 2013
Hell yeah! I love the series. Remembering the anime and live action film by the guy from Kinki Kidz.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Webtoon 'The Beginning After The End' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Oct 19

33 by stone616 »»
22 minutes ago

» 'Lazarus' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Oct 18

30 by hikarukare »»
2 hours ago

» Light Novel 'Blade & Bastard' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Oct 20

10 by LyLord »»
3 hours ago

» 'S-Rank Monster no "Behemoth" dakedo, Neko to Machigawarete Elf Musume no Pet toshite Kurashitemasu' Unveils More Cast, Staff, First Promo, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!!' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Aug 15

31 by o17o17 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.