Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 13, 2008 11:18 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so we say fair well to Gondola-san and say hello to new Gondola-san. No spoilers here, but new one looks great :D
Nov 8, 2008 3:18 PM

Jan 2008
It was a nice episode~ :)
Although, I'm still wondering who that old man is?... =\

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Nov 13, 2008 12:02 AM

Mar 2008
jazmin_s said:
It was a nice episode~ :)
Although, I'm still wondering who that old man is?... =

I'd say its the Gondola-san,
Mar 19, 2009 10:15 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah the spirit of the gondola.
The new gondola looks pimpin lol.
I like anime and stuff
Jun 6, 2009 1:06 AM

Apr 2008
her old gondola is given to another person to use lols

Jul 5, 2009 7:28 AM

Oct 2008
This episode made me cry for some reason lol :o
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Aug 10, 2009 1:17 AM

Jan 2009
NIce ep, but was the Akari x Gondola sex scene really necessary?

Aug 21, 2009 7:51 AM

Apr 2009
An interesting episode. An unusual way to deal with a topic similar to death, or at least major change; up until the end I had assumed that the gondola would just be scrubbed, and for some reason I thought it might be either scrapped or put up in front of the ARIA Company buidling.

In any case, as a result of assuming it would be scrapped the gondola having a spirit took on a slightly deeper significance, and I came a little close to crying near the end of this. That the new gondola was treated as though the old one was no longer of significance when Akari saw it, though, seemed to send an awkward message, similar to, "Well, don't get too upset over someone dying and just make a new friend and everything will be okay" which isn't too bad applied to inanimate objects, but definitely is when applied to people.

Thankfully Akari's reaction to seeing the gondola again helps to try to muffle this thought; clearly she still values it. I wouldn't argue that two gondolas aren't more similar to each other than two people are.

I also kinda like the song at the end. It seems to be channeling Joe Raposo, who composed a number of songs for Sesame Street -- including "Being Green", "Sing", and "Somebody Come and Play" -- which is an entirely appropriate thing for this show to reference. I still prefer Rainbow to listen to but on a certain level this song works quite well.

Oh, also, insert songs that have the lyrics contain "sono hanabira" in them are bad because they distract me. Just saying.
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Mar 6, 2010 6:05 PM

Aug 2009
It's suprising how Akari is affected by the death of her old gondola. I mean she can get a new one and it'll look the same because most of the boats in Aria look the same, lol. Anyways, it was a good and lovely episode.

Few things I loved were:
1. Alicia and Akari doing the same things to gondola-san.
2. Gondola-san giving the umbrella to Akari. He really enjoyed the times he spent with Aria company. I wonder what's the spirit of the new gondola.
3. Akari's old boat was being used by an old man in the end. So, she gave up her beloved gondola just so that someone can use it, lol.

What popped in my mind was "Boat Sex" when Akari had an alone time with the boat. Actually, the gondola gave Akari a lot of "first", rofl. When Aika and Alice came over, "Group Boat Sex" is what popped in my mind. :D
Mar 7, 2010 10:51 PM

Oct 2008
Bai Bai Gondola
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 14, 2010 4:42 AM

Apr 2009
Kinda got annoyed when they played the same clips twice.
I felt the same from the last episode, but I actually came close to tearing up when they carried Gondola-san away. :[

The new gondola looks really sleek.
I wonder who'll be its future owner after Akari.
Apr 14, 2010 8:22 PM

Sep 2009
Okay, I cried when the insert song started playing. ;;

And boat sex? The thought never crossed my mind. ._.;
Apr 20, 2010 1:06 PM

Jan 2010
what the f*&$ was wrong with this ep seriously xD

please Aria...no more gondola episodes...i don't care jeez :\
1 was ok,but 2!?is this such an important event(for the viewer?)

this episode is the worst of both seasons :-(
2/5

and please make more surrounding Akari,Aika and Alice and episodes that you can actually learn something after watching them :-)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 4, 2010 3:23 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah I admit two episodes of "Goodbye gondola-san" is a lil too much..
but seriously boat sex? Ewww something is wrong with you people. >.>
Jul 13, 2010 8:59 AM
Sep 2007
Going Merry >>>>>> Gondola-san.
Dec 5, 2010 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
repeated flashbacks were kinda annoying
Dec 25, 2010 12:06 AM

May 2008
I have to say, this was the perfect use of a 2-Part Episode. It wouldn't be the Aria we know and love if this was all wrapped up in one episode. I thought the scenes in the rain were beautiful and well done....just a touch on the slow side.

Akari really upgraded with her new gondola. It's bigger than the last one was, and the bow is quite distinctive. It looks more professional and I love the fact that it doesn't have those odd purple circles (oar holders?) on the sides and those training wheel-like bumpers on the front and back.
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Apr 7, 2011 6:04 AM

Feb 2011
<-- getting excited to throw old things away to get a new one ( that kind of person i am )
*sigh* seeing this episode made me realize how bad i am to my old stuffs..
Feb 4, 2012 2:28 PM

Oct 2009
jpem said:
repeated flashbacks were kinda annoying

Agree with this. But, even with them, this episode was marvelous! I never saw anything like that in my life!
あらあら。。。
Jan 5, 2013 3:06 PM

May 2012
Nice episode her new gondola is quite fancy! The ending was quite beautiful!
Feb 9, 2013 9:19 AM
Dec 2011
Moonfrost said:

What popped in my mind was "Boat Sex" when Akari had an alone time with the boat. Actually, the gondola gave Akari a lot of "first", rofl. When Aika and Alice came over, "Group Boat Sex" is what popped in my mind. :D

oh god
Feb 23, 2013 9:21 AM

Aug 2008
Sinonis said:
Moonfrost said:

oh god
L o L.

Cute episode.
Jul 27, 2013 1:29 AM

Aug 2010
A two-episode mini arc for saying goodbye to Gondola-san? It was really touching, though I too agree that they overused the repetition of the flashbacks, once was just enough. I was kinda hoping to see grandma in the Aria outfit, that was a bummer. Young Alice, Akira and Athena was a lovely touch though. And, as Ai-chan pointed out, I wonder who will Akari pass down that gondola one day? It would be pretty funny if Ai-chan decided to become an Undine and it would end up her gondola, but I guess we either won't see that, or it will be a character specifically for that role. Anyway, lovely episode 5/5.
Jul 28, 2013 8:33 AM

May 2012
Watched these two episodes ages ago (over a year ago xD), but I still remember how "Undine" - the intro song from the first season was used here instead of using the one that corresponds to this season. They were touching episodes indeed. It's hard to say goodbye to something you used for so long and all of a sudden you have to let it go. So even though some people think that saying goodbye and feel sad to an inanimate object is weird, but having personal experience is the only way to know how it feels like.
Overall, wonderful episodes.

Aug 16, 2013 10:10 PM
Jan 2013
This was a good episode, but the good-byes were starting to get a little bit too long, here.
Glad this arc's finally over. New gondola looks bigger!
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Sep 5, 2013 6:01 PM

Dec 2012
A heartwarming episode, reminded me of a certain watery eyed moment from One Piece. Akari and Alicia made so many memories with that gondola, it was nice to see it being used and still serving a purpose instead of being disposed.
Oct 10, 2013 9:29 AM

Oct 2009
This is the only episode i didn't enjoy much :/
One Gondola episode was quite enough and flashbacks twice, i was honestly bored :(

Although i loved and cried my eyes out when saying goodbye to the "Going Merry" in One Piece, this didn't have much affect on me at all :|

Nice to see young Alicia again though ^^
The new Gondola-san looks cool :O
Nov 11, 2013 7:41 PM

Apr 2012
its just really hit me when i thought of how close i am to the end... i love this series and the world it has created through its characters, a world of peace, of happy loving people, and a world without anger. the thought of it not being real just brought me to tears.. its not weird is it? to wish for a better world, this show is the most amazing thing i have ever seen, ill admit it.
Dec 6, 2013 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
The song that began playing around the 16 mark is beautiful. Being part of the Aria company is a symbol of pride <3
Mar 7, 2014 7:56 AM

Aug 2013
Farewell old gondola, hello new gondola. I wonder what the new one's spirit looks like.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 11, 2014 8:52 AM
Apr 2014
I like how this episode has a different OP song.

The part where Akari tries to remove the scraps on the gondola and say it's fun is hilariously cute. Also, more stories about Alicia's past are always welcome.
Apr 27, 2014 9:40 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I'm guessing that old man is the spirit of the gondola. Nice first half of the episode with the whole remembering their moments with the gondola.

2nd half was more deeper into Akari's character. Wow,this is probably the first time Akari broke down in tears because of the gondala going away. She cherished the time she spent with it and saying good bye was such a difficult decision for Akari to part ways.

Her new gondola looks larger than the one she had.

Jun 1, 2014 11:39 AM
Feb 2012
Man, this episode reminded me of when the Going Merry sank in One Piece.
Sep 25, 2014 7:35 PM

Dec 2013
bleachfan420 said:
Man, this episode reminded me of when the Going Merry sank in One Piece.

Glad someone made this reference. The whole spirit the of the old man is kind of related to the Klabautermann, which is a kind of manifestation a ship's soul and in this case, the gondola's soul. Really nice episode and great use of the first opening song.

Moonfrost said:

This is just sick.
Oct 22, 2014 2:49 AM

Jul 2008
Psajdak said:
Going Merry >>>>>> Gondola-san.

Thank you, at least I'm not the only one who thought of this!!! Still sad though.

But damn it 2 episodes of this is too much.
Dec 22, 2014 3:15 AM

Feb 2014
This got a little boring and repetitive after a while. The reused flashbacks didn't help either. And Akari's long and drawn out goodbye speech on the boat went from touching to melodrama. But the final scene where her now old Gondola shows up with its new owner was great, though.
And it would be great if Ai will be the one to ride in the new Gondola after Akari.
Dec 30, 2014 4:28 AM

May 2010
Good episode for the most part. A bit over-emphasized over the parting but considering the kind of person Akari is, makes sense. New gondola looks great!
Jan 13, 2015 12:29 PM

Aug 2014
IM ON A BOAT!!!
Jan 18, 2015 1:12 PM

Jul 2014
Alicia was the first one to pass Prime exam :O
I wonder if Akari will be the first one too :-)
mozgowJan 18, 2015 1:16 PM
Apr 17, 2015 11:03 AM

Nov 2014
May 26, 2015 3:17 PM

May 2012
gondola-san made me feel lol
Nov 9, 2015 1:38 AM
Nov 2014
Liked the continuation pattern, fell short in the second half of the episode tho. Too many useless flashbacks.
Dec 2, 2015 1:48 PM

Dec 2012
I can't believe I had forgotten about this episode. Leave it to Aria to make me tear up over inanimate objects. The part with the old man on the gondola got me the most. It's almost as if that moment was to let Akari know that even though they parted ways, the gondola will continue to watch over her as she grows as an Undine. Oh lordy, Aika would give me an earful for that one.
Mar 16, 2016 6:55 PM
May 2010
I'm surprised that people missed the part about it being sold/given to someone that works in item transportation so that it could be used to it's fullest potential until it was no longer usable, They mentioned as much in the last episode O.o

Also, i just noticed how Similar Aria Company's glove is to that used in God Eater...
Viper_607Mar 16, 2016 7:03 PM
Apr 3, 2016 8:50 AM
Sep 2015
i wonder whats the song title at second half of episode
Apr 12, 2016 11:05 PM
Jul 2013
Viper_607 said:
I'm surprised that people missed the part about it being sold/given to someone that works in item transportation so that it could be used to it's fullest potential until it was no longer usable, They mentioned as much in the last episode O.o

Also, i just noticed how Similar Aria Company's glove is to that used in God Eater...

Yeah, I'm guessing people lost track of it after so many minutes of flashbacks lol.

-----------------------------------------

As for my review of this episode, it definitely suffered from budget and time at parts but it knew where it had to allocate a lot of its time towards so that makes up for its flaws.

What flaws? Firstly, that long sequence of Akari on the gondola with flashbacks of just recently shown shots from a few minutes ago. I wasn't sure if it had to fill up time or something because repeating those flashbacks really didn't add much to my emotional investment. Secondly, I think the art style suffered a bit at parts but I guess that's to put in more time in the more emotional moments so I can't fault that. It just sucks because it's not entirely consistent but what can you do. Thirdly, it really dragged at Akari sitting in the Gondola by herself, but again probably due to budget and time so yeah.

Praises/Other comments. This is a two-parter episode? Man, that surprised me with its cold open. Brought back emotion from last episode, wasn't prepared for that. Definitely helped set-up for the rest of the episode.

Akari having sex with the Gondola (from other comments). I'll admit that when I first saw that sequence of Akari passionately hugging and lying in the Gondola I had to pause due to what I'm just seeing. If I took what I'm seeing literally, I would be a bit bored and weirded out. However, I've always symbolized Gondola-san as basically the culmination of everything I cherished that went away due to change. Thing about seeing things come and go is that I sometimes didn't take too much time to reflect on the parting until it's much time has passed cuz nostalgia. So, this entire arc was quite cathartic for me in a sense because it provided what I didn't do much in my life thus far. I don't have even do it much now, I guess I should work on that lol.

The flashbacks of Alicia with the Gondola and seeing Grandma was quite a treat, it was nice to show a parallel between her and Akari. They were so meant to be together in the same company, hah. Also, seeing Alicia screw up during her time as Pair really humanized her more for me because I thought she is completely perfect from start to finish, good to see that she worked towards it.

God damn it, I teared up on Akari shedding tears on old Gondola-san. I've reached the point of attachment where I feel whatever the characters feel and seeing Akari cry after like 10+ episodes ago (?) really brought tears out of me. It was a really cathartic moment to have basically the object that accompanied throughout what would be the whole series so far become parted away from its cast, while it's away from the camera, it's still in the world serving another purpose. It nailed the emotional moment hard and well.

Also, Ai-chan gonna be in that new gondola-san boat, I bet! I can just see it, why else would she wonder lol.
Dec 22, 2016 10:19 PM

Oct 2012
Gondola ojii-san, he looked so sad & happy at same time T_T
Awww he's still around doing his job

Atarashi Gondola-san nice to meet you!! :)
"Signature removed"
Dec 24, 2016 5:29 PM

Dec 2014
Another teary episode :(

goodbye gondola-san, a million thanks for serving and being a part of aria company since its beginning and welcome gondola-kun.

the insert song is really beautiful, wonder whats its called?

My goodness Akari is such a sweetheart <3

10/5
Jan 6, 2017 5:08 AM

Feb 2013
Farewell gondola-san!
Jun 15, 2017 11:15 PM
Jun 2014
I like that they showed how the gondola had been there since Alicia's days and really built up its sentimental value. But it got a bit too much when they repeated scenes to fill out the episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 18, 2008

53 by Marietta »»
Sep 27, 3:51 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 7, 2008

63 by VampireLord1024 »»
Sep 16, 1:26 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 23, 2008

56 by eblf2013 »»
Jul 19, 5:28 PM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2008

62 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jul 8, 2:53 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 4 Discussion

aero - May 27, 2008

49 by nirererin »»
Jul 5, 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.