Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 25, 2011 5:40 PM

Jun 2007
This series has the Tenchi effect (ie.: Tenchi Muyo):
1. Harem anime
2. Clueless male protagonist about feelings of girls
3. Girls fighting over guy and oblivious to these conflicts

Harem anime is dull and too predictable unfortunately these days and should be nearly extinct. This is a series I may put on the backburner unless something interesting really happens...
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jan 25, 2011 7:45 PM

Apr 2010
How the hell is he so oblivious? They all basically tell him that they want him and he seriously doesn't realize? This entire episode was just them fighting over him and him being a complete dumb-ass. And they skipped out on the fighting this ep too. Bullshit! I really hope they introduce some plot or at least make it more action oriented or i'm gonna drop this.

I did kind of laugh at him repeatedly telling Rin she was "childhood friend number 2", basically telling her to get lost. lol
Jan 25, 2011 11:05 PM

Jan 2010
Tenchi_Ryu said:
Well I will agree that he should have stopped that fight. But I can understand why he didn't. As you see, Houki was real quick to hitting some girl she barely even knew over who would room up with Ichika. Just think if he said he actually did wanna room with Rin...hell I'd stay out of the arguement too, cause both of them are violent at this point, Houki more so than Rin. They're both Tsundere, do you really think they would stop just because he said so? They'd probably look at him and get more pissed he's stopping them.

Like someone said, the most probable reason for his indecisiveness is his confusion of what the hell is going on around him. First, men are generally looked down upon, so its probably new to him of getting the picture some 400 girls likes you, especially the so called best of the best who you are supposedly inferior to. And another issue is the girls are clearly coming on WAY to strong at this point.

Ichika hasn't seen Houki in 6 years, and last time we were talking, you were my playground best buddy. When did I become the boyfriend? The fact that he feels the most comfortable around her and wants to room with her proves he isn't expecting any feelings from her, and he thinks its just one of the buds. Cecilia needs time to, just yesterday she treated him like a dog, a sperm donor at the most, now he's the biggest thing since sliced bread? Like someone said, aren't we enemies? Rin has been doing better than the others, though her main flaw was that she should have been up front with what she wants. Ichika was clearly listening and remember what she said, but he was only 13-14, I'm sure marriage didn't come to mind.

Just to end, yes Ichika is somewhat dense, but it makes sense considering he's only 15 and not use to romantic situations. But its the girls fault to. Boys are not like girls, we don't read between the lines like you do, its blunt and hear it as we heard it. If they want him, they need to come out with how they really feel, so then He'll have no excuse.

If Houki was one of his buds, he would have told Rin 'no'. Then there wouldn't have been an altercation. It's as simple as that. He needed to step up and he failed. He could have taken control of the situation simply by taking a stand.

Remember that Houki asked him to step up. He failed her. Then when Rin ignored Houki, he lay down. It was only after this that Houki started trying to lay down the law. At this point, she couldn't rely on him for anything.

Now I'll accept that maybe he isn't thinking from a romance perspective. Actually, I don't think he is either. But standing up for one of your mates is something a man does -- even a fifteen-year old boy-man. If he had done so but a fight still broke out, then I might criticise him for how well he handled himself. There's always room for improvement, and like you say, he's young. However, I wouldn't criticise him for being an indecisive wimp. Those are two different things. One is a matter of skill and experience. The other is a matter of character.

FWIW, I watched the scene again as I wanted to see if I was missing something after reading your comments. While Houki did strike quickly, she didn't do so randomly. You can see her mood shift after she turned to Ichika for support, only for him to bail on her. You can hear her voice change. You can see her posture change as she points a finger at Rin. And of course, when both Rin and Ichika ignore her, she loses it. I think that was the reason for her attack (and that this girl she barely knew was invading). It wasn't about who would room with him. Rin had already changed the subject and she wasn't leaving anyway. But I definitely think that if he'd acted decisively -- just expressed his opinion, then there wouldn't have been an attack. Rin could ignore Houki (and she could use Ichika to ignore her) but she couldn't ignore him. That would have defeated the purpose in her even going there. And while he may be dense, she isn't.

Another FWIW, I think Rin's flaw is that she acts dismissively towards the other females. Back in the cafeteria and especially in Houki's room -- I thought she was pretty rude to Houki. While Houki's response probably wasn't the best… it's an anime so whaddya expect. Thanks for the post. It made me think.
Jan 26, 2011 12:03 AM

Jan 2011
just to state, even airantou beats IS in magnitude.
pfft full school harem airantou was full island harem
wasn't even textbook enough for me......

here's the odd thing, i can't say one good thing about it but i still wanna watch it so fail on my part......or is anyone else feelin the same
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Jan 26, 2011 2:01 PM
Jan 2011
hellsascendant said:
just to state, even airantou beats IS in magnitude.
pfft full school harem airantou was full island harem
wasn't even textbook enough for me......

here's the odd thing, i can't say one good thing about it but i still wanna watch it so fail on my part......or is anyone else feelin the same

i heard it was supposed to be getting good. But its still a harem anime for sure
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Jan 27, 2011 12:44 PM

Nov 2010
is it just me or are all the girls in his harem tsunderes'?
Jan 28, 2011 6:00 AM

Apr 2009
Aw come on. Why is it that all Chinese characters have to have parents that own a Chinese restaurant? Now that's just racist. But I forgive IS because Rin is moe.
Jan 28, 2011 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
OShoranO said:
Aw come on. Why is it that all Chinese characters have to have parents that own a Chinese restaurant? Now that's just racist. But I forgive IS because Rin is moe.

you'd be amazed how many Chinese actually do own restaurants. i know; i am
Jan 29, 2011 10:50 AM

Jun 2008
Did i miss something? Since when did that blond chick fell so crazy in-love with him and started chasing him like that?

Btw the guy is pathetic, i know harem protagonist are clueless but the only thing this girls don't do is holding a big sing writing "I want him to be my man and fuck me senseless".

Btw i just can't get over how gay that robot suit looks when he wears it. I have a feeling that the other men pretended they can't operate them when they realized how gay they would look.
MonadFeb 2, 2011 2:02 PM
Jan 29, 2011 11:55 AM

Jan 2011
well the suites are meant to look good on girls so a guy wearing an IS is like trap = =
definitely gay
Feb 2, 2011 10:49 AM

Jan 2009
Not really sure where this series is going story-wise, but at the very least, the characters seem interesting.
Feb 4, 2011 2:48 PM
Mar 2010
Harem, too harem, low fight..... ok I drop it!!!!
Feb 8, 2011 1:31 AM

Feb 2010
please let this not head into a generic harem anime....

it started well enough.... :/
Feb 9, 2011 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
One question... WHY THE HECK IS HIS OUTFIT EVEN MORE FEMININE THAN THAT OF THE GIRLS??? WHY??? lol XD
Feb 9, 2011 4:35 PM
Jan 2011
Where is the story going!??!? Oh well.. I find it amusing anyway
Feb 13, 2011 3:40 AM

Feb 2010
Not one, but two childhood friends?

Christ, just kill me now.
Mar 3, 2011 11:01 AM

Dec 2010
Not bad. Rin is such a cute ass loli. A love triangle has successfully been formed.

Too bad the ending is sort of like a regurgitation of earlier episodes involving Alcott. I hope the series doesn't continue like that every time.

Mar 8, 2011 7:18 PM

Jun 2009
The 1st episode was a good impression, but as the story goes on.. I find everything repetitive and not so serious.. I mean after every match there will be lovey dovey scenes or harem mode.. it took me 2 weeks to finish this episode - pausing whenever I get irritated on a certain scene
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Mar 15, 2011 6:05 PM

Aug 2008
Currently,
Rin > Everybody else.

And she only just appeared.
Mar 17, 2011 10:22 AM

Feb 2011
definitely harem
loot of jealous in this ep
inter class tournament start
can wait for next ep
Mar 18, 2011 3:39 PM

Jun 2008
Love the animation....BUT...

It got even MORE GENERIC, MORE HAREM, and MORE OBLIVIOUS MALE PROTAGONIST...

I got to admit that it is entertaining, but that's the only thing it has going for it so far.
Apr 8, 2011 1:54 PM

Aug 2010
oh wow, he's got the bitches lusting over his cock

didn't really like this episode that much

too much bitch drama around Ichika
Apr 30, 2011 12:09 AM

Jul 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Inarius said:

nice i love these funny pics u put.

Yumekichi11 said:
As much I loved the intro of Fang Lin Yin the name of her IS reminded me of a Gundam from Wing Gundam. The fan service keeps getting good here and there but this episode's main goodies were Houki with Cecillia fighting over. There is also at the end the IS of Fang in the spoiler
what's interesting about it are its lasers and big Chinese saber (I think it would be Chinese.) that glows. Anyways Fang Lin Yin is cute in the spoiler
and is my favorite girl of the show! :D

In regards to other things in the episode, a rather nice view of Cecillia IS was nice to see it in better glory. The transformation sequence for Cecillia into her IS was nicely ecchi and interesting enough it can be summoned through a earing while Ichika's is through a bracelet. Nice fan service of Cecillia. Hilarious part where Houki and Cecillia argue over Ichika although Cecillia was the first one to push out Houki and run towards Ichika, he really won her over.
Humorous enough to mention at how Houki barged in between Cecillia and Ichika during the group picture taking. Guess it is shown rather well despite being cliche that Ichika can't take the heat from hearing Houki undress and change. Interesting enough there is object censoring in this series, too bad but it just means more reason for a BD re-watch. Looks like the situation is getting awkward between Houki and Ichika as they are going to sleep. I liked the flashback of when Ichika has a IS react to him, what's interesting about it is that it shows 3 females being witnesses of that event.

Fang was also interesting in that she wanted to live with Ichika in the same room and of how quickly she summoned partially her IS's arm. Rather nice to have seen Houki's IS. Always good to have a second childhood friend for guaranteed conflict between them. Houki was rather shown extremely jealous of not only Cecillia but also of Fang. Anyways good episode again and it was fun.

good description of the episode too.

Jul 11, 2011 1:27 AM

Aug 2010
Rin pisses me off.
Sep 20, 2011 7:06 PM

Mar 2011
Another fup ep!

Admittedly, I watched these earlier this evening with a friend so cant remember them all taht well, well, not which bits fit into which episode anyway!
Oct 21, 2011 5:11 PM

Sep 2008
All I like about Rin is that her outfit is yummy with those detached sleeves.
Otherwise, Cecilia is still the most lovable. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2011 9:16 PM

Nov 2011
I want Rin to win, but I have a feeling the guy is going to win D=.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Jun 3, 2012 5:34 PM

Oct 2011
haha twooooo childhood friends.....HAREM!!!
Nov 16, 2012 11:37 PM

Sep 2012
looks like haruhi with longer hair lol
Jan 25, 2013 2:13 PM

Apr 2012
A second childhood friend? Rarely seen this is. I still think the "first" chldhood friend will get her boy though.
May 7, 2013 9:41 PM

Sep 2012
Fang has fangs XDD
Jun 25, 2013 9:40 AM

Jun 2012
2nd childhood friend > 1st childhood friend
Jul 6, 2013 5:34 AM

Mar 2012
While I did enjoy this episode, I'm not a huge fan of the 'childhood promise that you don't remember therefore you're not a "man" but I won't explain what it is, yet i'm not in the wrong and I win the moral victory cause I can be angry about it". Seriously, the cliche can be funny but it's always so annoying. People say that the main characters are 'clueless' but people don't understand that you're looking at it from third person perspective; if you were Ichika all it'd look like is a lot of girls acting weird and getting pissy all the goddamn time, so basically like real life. Trust, it's a struggle
---
Twitter: @JusticeSoulTuna
Wordpress: JusticeSoulTuna
Youtube: JusticeSoulTuna
I'm literally JST everywhere
Jul 20, 2013 8:15 AM
Jun 2013
Dammit Ichika you lucky bastard. The whole student body wasn't enough, they needed another childhood friend who wanted your dick too. Well, at least she looks pretty strong. ^^ Fun episode!
Sep 8, 2013 5:34 PM

Dec 2009
Jesus this guy reels in the girls so easily >.>
Sep 14, 2013 9:43 AM

Jan 2013
Classic MC syndrome.
At least it's entertaining.
I like how there isn't a 'save the world' plot yet.
There's been no threat so far.
Nov 4, 2013 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
yeah from chinese? :O
fan rin hmm loli out :3 really harem :p
and oh ichika..
alcott and houka :O
Dec 25, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2012
Another childhood friend who also has a personal IS well this sure is getting quite an interesting harem :p
Jan 9, 2014 3:47 PM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the other two. This one was really funny, and I saw a lot more personality in the characters then in the other episodes. Fang seems like an interesting character, and the upcoming battle in the next episode should be interesting.
Apr 15, 2014 8:59 PM

Jan 2013
So Cecilia changed a lot after that fight,and it seems that she got feelings fro Ichika,the same for Houki :D They both looked so jealous when Rinin appeared xD
All girls are so pretty :D Kawaii
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 3, 2014 6:43 PM

Oct 2013
harmen ftw. been to long since i watched a harem
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 21, 2014 6:52 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Lin slaps Ichika because he forgot the promise xD
Ichika is so dense

That fan service when Cecilia went to check on Ichika after he lands face first into the ground xD

Jun 22, 2014 6:14 PM

Jan 2012
When Charles and Ichika were talking about where Ichika was gonna change all I could think was,
"You have a bathroom right in front of you, go change in there!"
But apparently it was a better idea for him to change with his back to her, only maybe three feet away... seriously? Did anyone NOT see that ecchi scene coming?

Ichika's Legendarily Echhi Fall/Trip < NSFW (I think)

Also how come ^this^ sorta crap almost always tends to happen in anime/manga series that shouldn't need fan-service? :D
Jul 22, 2014 1:30 AM

Sep 2012
Good episode.
Oct 4, 2014 11:44 PM

Jul 2012
It's only three episodes in, and every girl wants his dick.
Oct 11, 2014 11:44 AM

Aug 2014
Rinrin is kawaii :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Dec 21, 2014 7:08 PM

Feb 2013
So far Rin is my favorite of the bunch. I feel ike Cecilia fell in love with Ichika wayyyyy too easy. A fight starts next episode. Let's see who wins.
Jan 22, 2015 5:12 AM

Dec 2012
Well well, Cecilia sure warmed up to Ichika quickly. Seeing her take a break from her himedere side is really cute though. So far all of the girls seem like lots of fun. Now I can see what people meant by Ichika being the biggest moron in existence. It's actually really funny to see just how absurd his density can get.
Jun 30, 2015 9:56 AM

Jul 2014
2/5
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 13, 2011

194 by PedroKarim64 »»
Aug 22, 3:26 PM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

avrc - Mar 31, 2011

293 by il887 »»
Aug 12, 3:34 AM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 24, 2011

165 by il887 »»
Aug 11, 6:20 PM

» Ichika’s Denseness

FiddlePie - Aug 28, 2023

17 by that_kool_kid »»
Nov 11, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » IS: Infinite Stratos Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 6, 2011

270 by Tenshig2005 »»
Apr 7, 2023 3:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.