Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 9, 2014 6:24 PM
May 2012
Mirorin said:
Yeah... Mari you can go die.
Mizuki can kill her off, and I don't mind if Moe dies along with Mari.
Can't believe she didn't gain ANY character development from her encounter with king torture. In fact, she got worse. And, WHAT THE F--- YURI GO DIE. SO DAMN POINTLESS AND PISSES ME OFF. Drown in your puke. Please.

Seriously, I could get to enjoying this show if there wasn't the constant reminder of freakin' Mari. Seriously, I rather see more of that hate-able prime minister.

How many of these people rather wanna see her die instead of hating an evil characters? Geez take it easy.

I guess everyone has their different opinions then...
Feb 9, 2014 8:44 PM

Jun 2012
Shub-Niggurath said:
Well, I didn't intend to make it seem like I want it to just be one thing and then just stick with it. I don't really care about genres and the like... in fact the only reason I'd ever classify anything is for the sake of making discussion easier.

I wasn't saying that it's not "unpredictable", I meant that in my, and I think a lot of others', opinion that's not really the reason that it's bad. Being random/unpredictable is one thing, but ass-pulls are a completely different level of random... I mean, I can generally walk out my door and assume that a shark is not going to jump out of a tree and bite my head off. Therefore, in any series it's typically a good rule of thumb when you're already a third of the way through a series that it's going to have negative results if you suddenly apply some half-assed change in your established logic in the series. I'm not saying that it can't be done successfully because it's not really all that uncommon. Like I said I actually loved it when they did that ass-pull because I thought they were going to go somewhere with it.

Also one of my biggest issues here is that unpredictability is not a big enough factor. It's only "unpredictable" in that they establish a certain logic and then they just pull something that makes zero sense if you go with said logic.

Well, qualifying a show as "bad" just because it didn't follow a certain plot route that you would love after a huge breaking plot point like GG it's kinda biassed.
I know people that hated SamFlam because they loved the shit out of the first sixth episodes and then dropped it after GG, and people that were bored with the SoL-kind-of of the first episodes and loved GG.
You can't be loved by everyone.
Well, I actually don't hate the series... I shouldn't have said it like it's objectively bad. What I should have said is that I think the way they handle their "big reveals" is very disappointing. And I'm only disappointed in the fact that they don't do anything with their potential build-ups. It's not that they "didn't follow a certain plot route" that I wanted, it's that they pointlessly included Guillotine Gorilla among other things. I don't ever consider it a good thing when a series does something with no purpose whatsoever. Like the fact that heads were chopped off was treated like it was completely normal and not surprising at all, and even now served absolutely zero purpose besides maybe as shock imagery.

The biggest problem I have with that is that they didn't do anything special at all with the series... they simply included a gruesome scene at the end of an episode, and somehow went from making it momentarily darker/grittier in a single instant, to somehow turning it into your average Super Sentai series, and now it's back to square one.

Well, we have 6 more episodes to see what happens. And i don't think that the super sentai part never happened, i mean, people are in jail.
I didn't mean plot wise it never happened, I meant that the series creators are treating it like all of the Super Sentai-type things (such as the huge mech-fights) had no significance or purpose at all, and that was all merely inserted in to advance the plot.
I agree with you on all of these points, though, and this is the part that I do like about the series. The cycle thing is definitely true, from the times where he realizes that being a hero was nothing like he thought it would be, and it's become more of a job for him than anything. And occasionally (like this episode) it breaks away from being generic and shows that even doing the good or right thing can have consequences.

I don't mind so much that they include mechas, or gruesome scenes, etc, it's that there was no reason for it. Those things don't fit the series at all, they were just kind of there and now they're gone. But it's like you say, we still have 6 episodes left, which is plenty of time to tie everything together and show that it did serve a purpose in the end. I actually do think that it will at least have a satisfying ending, but I'll still be pretty disappointed if King Torture, and Manabe's hidden base, and the mechs, and all of those things were just there as plot fillers.
HalibelTheEspadaFeb 9, 2014 8:55 PM
Feb 9, 2014 10:29 PM

Sep 2013
portgas123 said:
Cried manly tears. AOTY.

New OP is cool but still not as good as the first one, the yuri fanservice was really random. the scene with the homeless guy was pretty good. liked that Goto and Hazama were having a bromance reunion at the end of the episode there.
Feb 10, 2014 2:57 AM

Aug 2009
JeffreyZin said:
Mirorin said:
Can't believe she didn't gain ANY character development from her encounter with king torture. In fact, she got worse. And, WHAT THE F--- YURI GO DIE. SO DAMN POINTLESS AND PISSES ME OFF. Drown in your puke. Please.

Seriously, I could get to enjoying this show if there wasn't the constant reminder of freakin' Mari. Seriously, I rather see more of that hate-able prime minister.

How many of these people rather wanna see her die instead of hating an evil characters? Geez take it easy.

I guess everyone has their different opinions then...

It's true that we all see things differently! Yet again I like the evil characters way better than Mari! King Torture, for instance - he might have been evil but he served a purpose, he followed his ideals and he died fighting for them and defending them! Honestly speaking, I don't really consider him a character that deserves to be hated instead I respect him because he took pride in what he did because that's what he believed in!

While Mari, on the other hand, hasn't done anything to win my respect for her. She didn't have a change of heart after she was tortured which I was sincerely hoping for and to me she's a lost cause! I see no development in her character, she's so focused on her own self that she's just too blind to see how despicable she is! I don't like criticizing others but I just couldn't stay quiet! >.>''
Feb 10, 2014 10:55 AM

Jan 2011
the punch, the kiss and the new OP
Feb 10, 2014 3:20 PM

Mar 2013
I think this episode is more better. The last scene with Homelessman and Masayoshi comeback to his bro :v *not i am not thinking with yaoi related thing XD*

Looking forward for next episode

But yeah I hate Mari from the start she show herself as Flamenco Diamond, and this episode made me more irritated with Mari. I mean her character got worse in this episode.

The only one in MMM i like is only Mizuki. and Good job to Mizuki for punched that girl =="
Feb 10, 2014 3:52 PM

Feb 2012
Oh for christ sake, we get it people, you don't like Mari. Frankly, I'm pretty sure we're not SUPPOSED to.
But friends accept each other for their flaws. Hell, me and my friends talk shit about each other all the time. But at the end of the day, we enjoy each other's company. That's the way I saw MMM this whole time. Of course, to an outsider we can't really understand what draws people together, because it's just something that happens regardless of logic.
Feb 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode. Reaching the low point.
Nice character development.
Feb 10, 2014 10:22 PM

Jun 2012
Mirorin said:
Damn son, should everyone you don't like die? What an overreaction.

Kikimorka said:
It's true that we all see things differently! Yet again I like the evil characters way better than Mari! King Torture, for instance - he might have been evil but he served a purpose, he followed his ideals and he died fighting for them and defending them! Honestly speaking, I don't really consider him a character that deserves to be hated instead I respect him because he took pride in what he did because that's what he believed in!

While Mari, on the other hand, hasn't done anything to win my respect for her. She didn't have a change of heart after she was tortured which I was sincerely hoping for and to me she's a lost cause! I see no development in her character, she's so focused on her own self that she's just too blind to see how despicable she is! I don't like criticizing others but I just couldn't stay quiet! >.>''
I have to say I don't really see where King Torture served a purpose... it seems like he didn't matter whatsoever. He was only a speck of "Beyond the Horizon" which was all made up to begin with. Before Beyond the Horizon came about he had potential to be someone cool and interesting though. I kind of doubt much about him was even true, but I did feel the way you do at the time he died.. but now he just feels like a bit of wasted potential

I know I'm one of the few people who actually likes Mari, and I can understand why a lot of people hate her... but she definitely did develop after that whole ordeal. If anything the only purpose King Torture served at all was to develop her character. Of course not everything changed about her... she's still selfish but she lost all of her cocky, overconfident attitude toward being a hero and realized she wasn't truly a hero. What do you mean she doesn't see how despicable she is? Over half this episode was about her realizing her wicked nature.
Feb 10, 2014 10:35 PM

Feb 2014
HalibelTheEspada said:
I know I'm one of the few people who actually likes Mari, and I can understand why a lot of people hate her... but she definitely did develop after that whole ordeal. If anything the only purpose King Torture served at all was to develop her character. Of course not everything changed about her... she's still selfish but she lost all of her cocky, overconfident attitude toward being a hero and realized she wasn't truly a hero. What do you mean she doesn't see how despicable she is? Over half this episode was about her realizing her wicked nature.

*High Fives*

You're not alone.
Feb 11, 2014 7:58 AM
May 2012
HalibelTheEspada said:

Wow, I can't believe you just said that to him.

THIS is what anime is all about. Evil Psychopathic/Jerk/Douchebag characters really gets us nerves, obviously (Other anime like To Aru series, Sword art online, Accel World, Gundam Series & etc are always like that.). But these people, hating on idiotic characters instead is just ridiculous.
JafriZinFeb 11, 2014 9:55 PM
Feb 11, 2014 11:47 AM

Feb 2012
JeffreyZin said:
HalibelTheEspada said:

Wow, I can't believe you just said that.

THIS is what anime is all about. Evil Psychopathic/Jerk/Douchebag characters really gets us nerves, obviously (Other anime like To Aru series, Sword art online, Accel World, Gundam Series & etc are always like that.). But hating on idiotic characters instead is just ridiculous.

Like I said, everyone has an entitled their own opinion.

duh, and his/her opinion is just that: people are overreacting.

In my opinion, getting that worked up over fiction is weird. Stop marrying DS girlfriends, throw away your body pillows and go outside I say :P
Feb 11, 2014 1:32 PM

Feb 2013
Perfect. Some beautiful scenes with beautiful atmosphere. Now we can see there's good at this world, thanks to Masayoshi. It's not fair for heroes ;.; It's everything politicians fault x) I also adore this relationship with Gotou and Masayoshi, and we're all glad that our hero finally came back to him =) Reall, I wish all episodes would be like this one ! ^^
And Mari, so you see, she won't be with Gotou, she's lesbian, she even showed it before. Mystery solved xD

Feb 12, 2014 3:57 AM
May 2012
EP17 preview is up!!

http://www.samumenco.com/story/17.html

jimjameswhatever said:
duh, and his/her opinion is just that: people are overreacting.

In my opinion, getting that worked up over fiction is weird. Stop marrying DS girlfriends, throw away your body pillows and go outside I say :P

I told you, every anime is so batshit crazy & we didn't see that coming. Who knows IF next episode will be encounter an another plot twist soon because there's so many questions that have to answer soon (I hope anyone saw Valvrave like I did which it's another Code Geass/Guilty Crown anyway)!
JafriZinFeb 12, 2014 4:08 AM
Feb 13, 2014 2:59 AM

Aug 2009
HalibelTheEspada said:
Kikimorka said:

I have to say I don't really see where King Torture served a purpose... it seems like he didn't matter whatsoever. He was only a speck of "Beyond the Horizon" which was all made up to begin with. Before Beyond the Horizon came about he had potential to be someone cool and interesting though. I kind of doubt much about him was even true, but I did feel the way you do at the time he died.. but now he just feels like a bit of wasted potential

Well, I don't really want to convince you or anybody else to see things my way! I understand you but I don't agree with you, sorry! ;D Even if King Torture turned out to be part of the whole Beyond the Horizon plan, I don't think this belittles him. Because to me, he's the same as Masayoshi, just on so-called dark side! But these are my own feelings and I don't expect you to share them! ^^''

About Mari, yeah, she realized that she's not suited for being a hero, that's true, I'm not denying it. But her behaviour didn't change - I don't approve of people taking it all out on their friends who are doing their best to help them out. This kind of attitude really puts me off. Yet, that's my personal opinion! (⌒∇⌒*)
Feb 13, 2014 5:25 AM

Feb 2012
Kikimorka said:
HalibelTheEspada said:
Kikimorka said:

Well, I don't really want to convince you or anybody else to see things my way! I understand you but I don't agree with you, sorry! ;D Even if King Torture turned out to be part of the whole Beyond the Horizon plan, I don't think this belittles him. Because to me, he's the same as Masayoshi, just on so-called dark side! But these are my own feelings and I don't expect you to share them! ^^''

About Mari, yeah, she realized that she's not suited for being a hero, that's true, I'm not denying it. But her behaviour didn't change - I don't approve of people taking it all out on their friends who are doing their best to help them out. This kind of attitude really puts me off. Yet, that's my personal opinion! (⌒∇⌒*)

Exactly!
I loved King Torture! He was sick of people half-assing being "good." So he became evil. All his minions put everything they had into being evil. That's why he couldn't stand or bother to even care about Mari because he saw through her bullshit while he saw something in Masayoshi (his passion for good).

I'm paraphrasing from memory here, but as Beyond Flamenco put it: "We're all crazy to an extent. We only differ in how crazy we are, and what we're crazy about."
Feb 13, 2014 4:50 PM

May 2008
Delicious kiss with barf and tears (T┰T )
Feb 13, 2014 10:48 PM
May 2012
I feel bad for both Mr. Justice & that homeless guy.
Feb 15, 2014 10:31 AM

Oct 2009
Good episode, felt like the good old days~

Mizuki is best girl! I still hate the fact that the bastard who setup Mari is forgiven and didn't receive any punishment.
Feb 15, 2014 1:12 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah,this anime is all about the US government.
Feb 18, 2014 9:23 PM
Dec 2012
Gotou and Masayoshi united at long last... Please save us from this madness and remind us why we liked Samumenco from the start.
Feb 20, 2014 7:24 PM

Jul 2009
Let's get us some more yuri.
Feb 22, 2014 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
It was a long time I hated a character as much as Mari...Well atleast she is finally out of Goto's place.
Feb 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Jul 2013
10th_man_down said:
It was a long time I hated a character as much as Mari...Well atleast she is finally out of Goto's place.
yeah I feel the same way and also that girl-to-girl kissing scene was annoying as fuck I didn't find it entertaining.. not one bit Mari will definitely be one of my most hated anime characters once this anime ends and she stays the same.. just fuck it man and fuck yuri.

this may have an interesting plot but Mari and she alone is enough to make me give this a score lower than it deserves.. I just can't ignore her

nice scene there with the old guy but Masayoshis's flashbacks of Goto makes it look like its yaoi... man first yuri and now this... God...
Mar 16, 2014 7:47 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS SO FUCKING AMAZING. Masayoshi almost turned into a thief because of the hunger, he was a hero who uphold justice but he almost broke the law himself, that part was extremely good. The part with the old man was amazing too, he helped that old man in the past, and his action affects them, making them believe that there are still good people out there in the world, and the world is not as grim as it seems to be, and now it's the old man's turn to save SamuMenco, just wow.. When Masayoshi was running to Gotou, with the OST playing in the background, it gave me hope, a lot of them. Seriously, this show is amazingly underrated.

Didn't quite like Mari, her attitude needs a fix, seriously. The MMM threesome kinda turns me on LOL. >.>

P.S. Hazama's rage was awesome when he was watching the TV/news.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 18, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2008
10th_man_down said:

She also makes me unnecessarily dislike Morita, but that's still nothing compared to her.

ToG25thBaam said:
THIS IS SO FUCKING AMAZING. Masayoshi almost turned into a thief because of the hunger, he was a hero who uphold justice but he almost broke the law himself, that part was extremely good.

Agreed.
And Gotou's reaction at the end was awesome~
May 2, 2014 3:13 PM

May 2012
This sure is a huge turn in events! It's nice though that the girls have made up again but well let's see what the next episode has to offer us!
May 27, 2014 1:50 AM

Apr 2014
Well. If that wasn't a nice return to roots. :)

I love how important it shows his earlier exploits were. Wonder if the cheap flashiness was meant to highlight the purity of his spirit in those quiet days, where his heroism was known by only the littlest of people.
Jun 9, 2014 4:21 AM

Jul 2013
Damn.
I haven't seen any episode. I was going to... but trust when I say I don't know, but I can't simply see an anime that has Yuri/Shoujo Ai in it.
Shounen Ai it's okay, I may even like more that most straight ones, but shoujo ai... meh.
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki, Houtarou
Jun 12, 2014 1:33 PM

Feb 2011
Highlights:
-Mari being socked in the face, FINALLY (I cheered). i have never been so aggravated by a character this much. she should never be forgiven and should also be arrested for being a superhero just so i dont have to see her idiotic face again. um... yuri kiss was misplaced, and i wish it wasnt with mari the biotch.

-Masayoshi finally goin to Goto-san. WOOOOOO. gogogo bromance O9

Also, poor boss/Axe guy... that restraint.. o__O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
Cool new OP animation.
Is Lady Axe Kaname's wife??
I miss MMM. It's just that Mari is a bitch, she made Moe cry. I like that yuri part though :3
The homeless guy helped Masayoshi. It's true that when you helped someone, someone will also help you.
Finally, Masayoshi go back to Gotou for help.
Looks like Samurai Flamenco will be back soon. I hope so.
Nov 28, 2014 2:08 PM
Oct 2014
(Don't wonder, I write as I watch the episode so I can comment on everything and do not forget something.)

I love this new opening! I knew the other one was just a bridge one to this new events and the fitting op!

Rebel on run. At first humiliated by the people, then celebrated by them and now they are chasing after him. Wow, this anime makes an development in 16 ep like other anime never will in 50.

What a bitch fight! They even used fists, omg. Never expected her to get so angry. Mari, what you did at King Tortures Time is not bad, we all were cowards in this situation, but NOW YOU ARE A FUCKING ASSHOLE.
Can't forgive her for being such a bitch, but I feel sorry for her...Laying in her own barf...anime turned dark again...
And they reunited. Yay. Heartwarming moment.
YURI TIME HOLY! Wah...Makes me feel embarassed when I'm not that into it.

Masayoshi didn't steal! He didn't steal! Yeah, some things will never change, I'm so happy about that! I would have forgiven you, but I liked it so much you didn't! A guy who wants to lecture people walking at red over the street wants to steal? Nope.

That old man! Made me almost cry, omg. So much goodness in this world to hope for because of Samurai Flamenco! Cheesy may it be, but unexpected as ever and so it's totally fine with me and not a cliché! I was near crying.;A;

"Took you long enough, idiot".
Okay, now I cried! I CRIED OKAY!?
All these wonderful flashbacks and Goto being finally recognized, I just...jvnjdhffhj
That smile at the end. Feels. Killed me.
CAN'T STOP WATCHING
MOST BEAUTIFUL EPISODE EVER
Mar 29, 2015 8:21 PM

Feb 2013
Mizuki punching Mari was the best part of this episode. That yuri moment felt weird. Out of nowhere.

About time Masayoshi came to Goto for help.
Oct 3, 2015 3:39 PM

Apr 2008
Well, first half was horrible, Mari seriously has an AWFUL personality, and really cutting people's heads clean off is okay but vomit is weird blue-ish color xD?
Second half was okay, bit slow compared to last episodes, too used to the comedy aspect now. If shit gets serious again I want to start thinking it trough again, but I really don't , cuz obv goto's place would be the first one to get a 24/7 stakeout waiting for masayoshi to appear...
Nov 17, 2015 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
Why is Mari's puke glowing white?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 3, 2016 10:40 AM

Nov 2014
This was a pretty good dramatic episode. Mari hated Morita for being a better person than she was. Mizuki kicked Mari's ass, and Morita pulled the ultimate guilt trip. The kiss was one of the better kisses I've seen in an anime. And a genuinely moving moment with the homeless man. It's too bad this episode couldn't have been in a better show.

4/5

Fortress_Maximus said:
Why is Mari's puke glowing white?

Probably a creative choice to make it less disgusting.
Apr 7, 2016 8:27 PM

Aug 2012
This was genuinely an amazing episode.
Aug 31, 2016 5:40 AM

Jul 2008
Myfriendshatehon said:
So all the from Beyond members had a octupus like neck piece. The smallest group of members of from beyond were made of 4. An octupus has 8 tentacles. 4^8 = 65536, The exact number of members in From beyond.

Now here's the real kicker:
What does the toy in goto's gf umbrella look like.

Oh hell if that ends up being true...damn it all.

And also, Mari is a complete and utter total piece of shit. She truly can go and die in a corner.
Apr 3, 2017 6:01 PM

Jul 2013
One of the best episodes in a LONG time. I'm glad they're going back to more realism - this show needed it the way it started out and charmed us. The development between all the characters here was amazing - so much growth. The love between Hazama and Goto have for each other is so pure I can't stand it.
Oct 12, 2017 3:38 PM

Nov 2016
A more down to earth episode, yuri peace was nice and I liked the part with the homeless guy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 26, 2020 8:38 AM

Oct 2020
best episode thus far. also anyone rmb which episode samurai flamenco saved the homeless dude?
Aug 17, 2021 12:23 PM

Jul 2019
This episode was deep damn, also reminds me of another reason as to dislike Mari, thinks it is all about her her her, goodness me, she needs to mouth shut. But that makeup at the end o_o oh la la...

Hazama really at the deep end too, but thankfully he was saved by one who looked up to him as he was saved by SF. It's a really cool cycle, and it helped Hazama out. SF is a real great guy. Also wonder if they actually show the dude being saved in the anime? Can't remember.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

301 by OrangeRium »»
Jul 14, 11:31 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2013

418 by OrangeRium »»
Jun 18, 4:05 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

6 by lordgaara »»
Jun 17, 2023 9:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.