Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2010 6:11 PM

Jun 2010
Tell everyone at the club how you got into anime. What was the first anime you watched?, and how did it influence you into being an otaku?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 19, 2010 1:47 PM

Aug 2009
My first anime ever was probably Pokemon or Sailor Moon-I remember watching it with my sister when I was really little-I then forgot about all of that when I got older until I began reading Sugar Sugar Rune a couple of years ago and since then I've really became an Otaku xDD
Don't block out the people who love you
It just causes more pain in the end
Aug 19, 2010 3:42 PM

Jun 2010
JamieKins358 said:
My first anime ever was probably Pokemon or Sailor Moon-I remember watching it with my sister when I was really little-I then forgot about all of that when I got older until I began reading Sugar Sugar Rune a couple of years ago and since then I've really became an Otaku xDD
seriously!?! the first anime I watched was also Sailor Moon! I was about six at the time, and I didn't really know what it was. It wasn't untill years later that I realized it was Sailor Moon. I even remember the exact episode.
Sep 4, 2010 7:18 AM

Aug 2010
My first anime was Digimon when I was 5-6, of course I didn't comprehend the term anime, it was just on the TV and colorful so I watched it. My middling years I watched DBZ on and off whenever I turned on the TV and it was there, catching occasional glimpses of other anime on Toonami, like Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho. It wasn't until about sixth or seventh grade that I actually conciously watched anime, I was watching Naruto and actually comprehended it was something "different" from most western animations. Even with all that I still wasn't an otaku, it took a further 4 years and Adult Swim putting a saturday night lineup of Bleach, Code Geass, Death Note, and what else have you up for me to comprehend anime as more than Naruto. And so here we are, it took me to halfway through High School but I'm now qualified to call myself an otaku.

Sep 4, 2010 8:35 AM
Dec 2009
My first anime experience was watching a bit of Sailor Moon because my sister loved that show when she was little. Then I remember seeing Pokemon and Kiki's Delivery Service.

But, I never became big into anime at the time. It was not until I was 17 or 18 that made me a huge anime lover after seeing all the animes that are based on the Street Fighter games.
Nerdszrule89Sep 5, 2010 4:52 AM
Sep 4, 2010 9:10 PM
Aug 2010
hmm lets see... First anime i ever watched i believe was Ranma 1/2 .. yeah way back in the day. i think i was round 5 or 6. no idea that it was anime till years later. i actually forget quite often that it was my first.

after that it was Ruroni Kenshin. Huge fan of that one and the one i often think was my first one. i believe ive probly watched it 4 - 5 times including my first run through in spanish... yeah.

And of course Dragon Ball Z which i can barely stand to watch now because of the insanely long screaming and "powering up" dedicated episodes lol.
Sep 4, 2010 9:52 PM

Mar 2008
The first anime I was really into were Pokemon and DBZ. The true gateways to all the anime I watch now would probably be Evangelion and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Sep 4, 2010 10:43 PM

Sep 2007
Gall Force, probably. Back when the Sci-Fi Channel still did the Saturday Anime morning block. Then Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Voltron, Robotech, DBZ, and so on over the next few years.

I was seemingly aware of what anime was even before all that, although always second-hand.
Sep 5, 2010 12:59 PM

Sep 2009
Hiya everyone,

I’m Jeffrey, a 39yo (almost 40) male living in South Florida (Palm Beach county) .. The first bit of anime I probably ever saw was the Belle and Sebastian tv-series back in the early eighties on Nickelodeon, and while I didn’t really know it was anime, I remember realizing it was from another country than I was and that I loved it!

Several years later I started buying 2-episode subbed bootleg videotapes from the local comic-shop of shows like Fist of the North Star, etc... Thought they were really cool, but never really took up collecting Anime as a hobby and eventually stopped in lieu of other interests .. Anime kinda always lingered in the back of my mind and from time to time would spark back up mostly in the form of single movies. I went to a small fest in the late 90’s to see the movie’s Sin and Wicked City, rented Ghost in the Shell.. my girlfriend at the time owned Ninja Scroll and she introduced me to series Record of Lodoss War (still one of my faves). But this mild to moderate interest in Anime soon became a full blown obsession thanks to Cartoon Network airing Outlaw Star in 2001. I’ve now spent thousands on Anime and related items (Wall scrolls, Soundtracks, Figures, etc...). I’ve collected many series and the list keeps growing .. I’m a fan of both Subbed & Dubbed and will watch most series both ways when I can.

thanks for the club invite :-)
Sep 5, 2010 1:20 PM

Jul 2010
Watching Inuyasha (or trying to) on Adult Swim
Sep 6, 2010 7:51 PM

Mar 2010
I guess like most people I watched sailor Moon and DBZ when I was young not really knowing that it was anime. When I first met one of my good friends in elementary school his whole family was into anime they watched stuff like Bubblegum Crisis but it wasn't until they picked up Ranma1/2 that I really got into it as well. Throughout high school his family was the only way I could really watch anime, since my parents thought it was dumb and didn't want to buy me any lol.

In high school I wasn't too into anime but i watched it sparingly, when i started going to UNF(university of north Florida) a bunch of people were into it that I hung around, eventually a anime club was started on my second year of college and I got a bit more into it, this was around the time Full Metal alchemist first came out. This chick who was my best friend (but I had a one sidded crush on her lol) at the time was really into anime so naturally I got into it too.

Lots of stuff happened for like 3-4 years so I actually could not follow much anime at all until this year. My job allows me to pretty much watch movies 7 out of 8 hours of my shift. I eventually started running out of regular movies to watch and a friend recommended that I watch some anime. So she gave me both seasons of Clannad and ever since then (Early march) I've pretty much been watching alot of anime at work and trying not to think about anime at school XD.

I've been to a few cons, well Mega-Con only, it was fun but my college buds I used to go with are either A.) not into anime as much anymore or B.) I lost track of them.

Either way sorry for the long post I had time to post this at work since there is nothing to do. Thanks for the invite to the group as well.
Sep 9, 2010 10:27 PM
May 2010
I first started watching anime when i was 4. My first real anime was Demon City Shinjuku, i know not something a 4 year old "should" see. Then i am like the norm, sailor moon, DBZ, Dragon Ball, Bubblegum Crisis, Voltron, Thunder Cats, Robotech, Digimon, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ronin Warrior, Rurouni Kenshin and everything else that ever came on Toonami as well as a lot of movies i can't even remember the titles to.
Dec 9, 2010 8:09 PM

Feb 2010
My first animes were Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon XD Didnt knw they were anime at the time. Later on in middle school this friend introduced me to anime but i didnt really like the anime the person showed me so that ended that. Now im 16 and its been about a year since ive been hooked to anime thanks to one called Mermaid Melody =)
Dec 16, 2010 11:07 PM
Oct 2010
Well lets see... I used to watch Dragon Ball & Sailor Moon when I was little but didn't really know what anime was then...

I have been watching actual anime for about two years now started with bleach...
Believe it or not I can't stand dubbed anime so the search began for streamed subbed animes and since then my list is constantly getting larger!
Dec 20, 2010 1:39 AM
Mar 2010
The first show i've watched that actually got me into anime was Bleach, when it aired on Adult Swim. i watched it on Adult Swim until like episode 20 and then i couldn't take waiting a week for another episode to air, So i looked online for Bleach and i found a whole community of anime lovers and vast-less anime at my fingertips waiting to be watched.
So now i've watched about 73 days of anime in about 4 years and i watch practically 90% of the current that airs each season.
Jan 8, 2011 4:26 AM

Sep 2008
When I was really little I used to watch Battle of the Planets, but I didn't know it was anime as I got older I got into pokemon when it first came out, I figured out it was anime but wasn't into anime as a whole yet. Then when I hit puberty I would watch anime on Sci Fi Channel they would show King of Fighters and Armitage III and thats when i found out "Oh anime has nudity in it!"

so being a young boy going through puberty I wanted to see naked things so one day while I was at Block Buster I saw a copy of Ghost in the Shell and it had a mature sticker on it. So I was like "Oh I can get this and slip it past my mom cause she will just think it's cartoons." So it worked and I watched Ghost in the Shell well it wasn't exaclty beat off material but I fell in love with anime from then on.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 30, 2011 8:37 PM

Sep 2008
I wasn't really surrounded by anime but when I had a chance to watch DBZ, Digimon, etc., I would watch it religiously not realizing that I'm an otaku that hasn't been awakened yet. It wasn't till a friend showed my brothers Naruto and I caught interest in that then once I caught up to like episode 190, I went online to search for the rest of the episodes and noticed some other animes that seemed pretty interesting too which were Bleach and Death Note.

I was pretty content with those 3 at the time thinking that I'm watching really good anime while my brother was already deep into it and felt like I didn't need to watch anything else. But I kept hearing him and my other brother talking about how great Kanon (2006) was and I took the time to watch that. And that was my true gateway to anime that made me go out of my way to search for everything else out there.

But now I only know one person in real life at my work place that also watches anime. With so many different series, I know more people here in America could also watch anime but its poorly marketed though and so they are going to miss out on anime.
May 29, 2011 10:57 PM

Jul 2009
i first started with digimon when we i was just a kid , which led to monster rancher, medabots, beyblade etc etc... of i didnt know any of these were anime and wasn't a fan of it until one day my friend let me barrow his volume 1 copy of elemental gelade, i was hooked ever since, of course since then i have discovered numerous GREAT animes and am a dedicated otaku, ohh and i also grew up on Miyazaki, Hayao movies...you know the ones XD!!
P.S. ADHD moment here but you'd think that "anime" would have been added to spell checks list of words by now wouldn't you?
Jan 4, 2014 9:12 PM
Jan 2014
i got into anime after watching Toonami
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Time & Space Travel Anime

aninjatool - Aug 16, 2015

1 by GlennMagusHarvey »»
Apr 26, 2018 2:25 AM

» Anyone In central FL?

Amaterasu23 - Sep 8, 2011

11 by CategoryKing »»
Jan 17, 2016 8:21 PM

» WELCOME!!!!!

JamieKins358 - Dec 30, 2009

19 by REDNomad »»
Jun 4, 2014 5:57 PM

» Polk County Otaku

napolean86 - Feb 15, 2013

1 by Tommodore »»
Nov 13, 2013 5:09 PM

» North(east) FL...? Anyone....?

alexeatsspam - Jan 19, 2013

3 by Biohazarb117 »»
Aug 20, 2013 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.