Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I've watched Season 1 and 2 but not the movies. Realistically, can I skip them?

Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 3, 4:27 AM

Apr 2008
As the title says, I've watched both season 1 and 2 - I've done a bit of reading online that says a lot of the movie content is either rehashing existing content or relatively inconsequential / minor setup - also the ratings for the movies are lower compared to the main series, so I really don't feel terribly motivated to wade through them for a little content.

If I do skip them, is there any kind of particularly vital setup material, or could I, say, just watch a little bit of certain parts to get a tl;dr of what's important? I'm finding it hard to convince myself to invest several kinda okay movies worth of time before even starting season 3.
Jul 3, 4:50 AM

Jul 2023
Watch every single one of them, otherwise u will miss the senior's farewell and other characters characteristics or their development

Jul 3, 4:51 AM
May 2021
There is only one movie that you should watch and is really "canon", which is Chikai no Finale, the other two are recaps and the ensemble contest is what I would call a filler arc, there is nothing much happening that contributes a lot to the main story. Nevertheless a great movie. Also its under 57min so it isnt even a full movie.
Jul 3, 5:01 AM
Nov 2023
"Liz and the blue bird" is new content. realistically you can skip it if you want but it's pretty well regarded. it's not critical to the story, though.

my advice: skip the two recaps, watch everything else.
Jul 3, 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
Only one movie is very important to watch, which I think was the Chikai no finale one. It continues the story and it shows almost the whole second year of kumiko and the others.
Jul 3, 5:15 AM
May 2023
u can skip the 1st and 2nd movie, but better to watch them. the 3rd movie is a must watch, also dont skip "liz and the blue bird" and "ensemble contest-hen"
Jul 3, 5:59 AM
Culture-sensei
Mar 2021
I would not recommend doing so. I personally didn’t realize there were movies to begin with and now I have to go back and watch them to see Year 2, since Year 2 is not covered anywhere in the anime TV series.

You can live with the flashbacks, but I’m a big fan of watching in order in most cases (Fate is probably an exception to this along with other complicated series, but as a general rule).
Jul 3, 6:00 AM

May 2015
Skip the 2 recaps. Our Promise and Ensemble Contest are must watches. Liz is a literal masterpiece and you'd be a fool not to watch it
Jul 3, 6:04 AM

Mar 2023
skip 1 and 2, just recaps of s1 and s2
3 is must watch, introduces characters that are used in the season
liz and blue bird is just a good movie, but optional <- one of my favorite parts of the whole series
ensamble OVA is skippable, but it's like episode 0 - may as well consider it a part of the season
Jul 3, 6:27 AM

Nov 2019
S1
S2
Liz no Aoi Tori
Chikai no Finale
Ensemble Contest hen
S3

Byebye Euphonium
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 3, 8:42 AM
Jul 2022
Liz to Aoi Tori is not critical to the story, but still definitely deserves a watch. One of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen, beautiful story and I think Naoko Yamada's best work. The "Liz to Aoi Tori" piece they play for the competition is also a hard contender for my favourite Eupho song.

Chikai no Finale, personally I thought was okay. But it does continue the story through to Kumiko's second year so it's important for the plot.

Ensemble Contest was a short movie to drum up hype for season 3. It was the first Eupho content we got in years so it was just nice to see the characters again, but not much too important really happens, although it is the connector between the last movie and S3, and it has a bit of interesting character development in it so I'd still recommend it.

*edit* (not relevant to the question): okay, Silent Voice is probably Yamada's best work. But I genuinely feel how with Liz, Yamada was given so much freedom and agency to just make this movie as beautiful as it is in terms of art and writing. it always felt so special and personal to me for some reason.
MyseishunJul 4, 4:40 AM
Jul 3, 8:59 AM
Jul 2020
You can skip the first two movies cause they’re just recaps of the first two seasons. Watch all the others.
Jul 3, 9:12 AM
Nov 2015
I skipped them. Didn't feel like I was missing too much. Something sure, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of third season.
Jul 3, 9:54 AM

Jul 2021
Ignoring the recap movies, I've watched 2 out of 3. I didn't feel like I was missing anything with Season 3.

Liz to Aoi Tori:
I agree with everything @Myseishun said; not required viewing, but just a gorgeous movie that's worth watching.

Chikai no Finale:
You see Kumiko in her 2nd year. Just a decent movie. You do get introduced to a pretty interesting and well-liked character in this movie. The character still works without that added context in Season 3, but she'd be a little less likable.

Ensemble Contest:
(I didn't watch this one)

---

I would actually recommend rewatching Season 1 and 2 if you've forgotten a lot. There are several direct callbacks, and I could see a clear line that spans throughout the 3 seasons, especially in terms of character development. The story still makes sense without remembering the earlier seasons, but I think it just would not "hit" as hard.
Jul 3, 10:01 AM
Jan 2019
As all of people have mentioned you can skip the first 2 movies since they're just compilation movies. Liz and the blue bird is optional it didn't have a massive effect on the overall story, although it does deepens Mizore and Nozomi's characters so if you're interested in those 2 i would recommend you to watch it (although it is very slow). The rest of the movies is a must watch imo since they're actively contributing to the overall story
Jul 3, 12:28 PM
Oct 2016
I've watched all the movies, and I sincerely can't believe people are suggesting you watch the first two. They're just recaps. They recap the seasons you've already watched. They have like one or two extra scenes but it's sincerely not worth sticking through hours of movies just to see three new scenes total.

If you're interested in seeing them anyways, wait until you've watched everything else. Everything else being:
- Team Monaka OVA
- Liz and the Blue Bird
- Movie 3: Chiaki No Finale
- Ensamble Contest OVA
- Season 3

If you've watched all of this and you still crave for more, sure watch the movies.
Jul 3, 12:45 PM

May 2015
Reply to The_Small_Blue
I've watched all the movies, and I sincerely can't believe people are suggesting you watch the first two. They're just recaps. They recap the seasons you've already watched. They have like one or two extra scenes but it's sincerely not worth sticking through hours of movies just to see three new scenes total.

If you're interested in seeing them anyways, wait until you've watched everything else. Everything else being:
- Team Monaka OVA
- Liz and the Blue Bird
- Ensamble Contest OVA
- Season 3

If you've watched all of this and you still crave for more, sure watch the movies.
@The_Small_Blue literally everyone who's answered has said to skip the 2 recaps
Jul 3, 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
You seem to be confusing the sequel movies with recap movies, the movies are pretty much all new content. It's a mandatory watch.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 3, 1:16 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to The_Small_Blue

- Team Monaka OVA
- Liz and the Blue Bird
- Ensamble Contest OVA
- Season 3

@The_Small_Blue You not believing it works out then, because it didn't happen.

The consensus is, watch if you want, but those two movies do little to nothing to progress the story, so we recommend to skip them.
Jul 3, 1:20 PM
Oct 2016
I may or may not have seen a grand total of 2 people (one of which clearly wasn't referring to the first two movies) saying they should be watched before I skimmed all the other posts and posted my own, with the idea that a decent amount of people thought they were worth it. Oops!
Jul 3, 6:37 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to The_Small_Blue
I may or may not have seen a grand total of 2 people (one of which clearly wasn't referring to the first two movies) saying they should be watched before I skimmed all the other posts and posted my own, with the idea that a decent amount of people thought they were worth it. Oops!
The_Small_Blue said:
I may or may not have seen a grand total of 2 people (one of which clearly wasn't referring to the first two movies) saying they should be watched before I skimmed all the other posts and posted my own, with the idea that a decent amount of people thought they were worth it. Oops

Stuff happens, no big deal. If I had a nickel for every time I'd made a fool of myself on the 'net, I'd have been able to buy X myself. If I'd had a nickel for every time I cared, I'd be broke. :-)

Some of these threads can go off in rather odd directions as they progress. Not that this is one, but it does happen.

I need to figure out where to watch "Ensemble Contest" and some of those oddly animated specials. I haven't been able to find them on any of the streaming services I subscribe to.
Jul 3, 9:50 PM
Apr 2023
there's one movie that's Canon imo it's the worst hebike media but probably should watch it before s3
Jul 3, 10:30 PM

Aug 2017
Only skip Liz and the Blue Bird (filler for two irrelevant side characters from s2) and maaaybe the first movie (its mostly a recap from but very few scenes are extended).

I strongly suggest to watch the second movie since they add new scenes, extended many and the pacing is much better. The third and fourth movie are between s2 and s3 so don't skip them at any cost.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 4, 10:34 PM

Apr 2008
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I'll probably go with the majority suggestion of watching everything but the first two recap movies.

It's also been suggested that Liz and the Blue Bird is optional to the main story - would it make any sense to watch it after the series, or does it add a little more background to watch it in the order it was released?
Jul 5, 5:38 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to ddrcrono
Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I'll probably go with the majority suggestion of watching everything but the first two recap movies.

It's also been suggested that Liz and the Blue Bird is optional to the main story - would it make any sense to watch it after the series, or does it add a little more background to watch it in the order it was released?
@ddrcrono It's part of Kumiko's second year, though it doesn't focus on her.
The band members it focuses on will graduate, hence why it's best viewed next to Chikai, which is also Kumiko's second year.

It could be viewed at the end, but that would mean going back to second year characters after finishing everything.

Best order for everything is:

first year:
1) Season 1
2) Season 2
second year:
3) Liz and Blue Bird
4) Movie 3 - Chikai no Finale
third year:
5) Ensemble Contest OVA
6) Season 3
watsymJul 5, 5:42 AM
Jul 6, 3:32 AM
Jul 2022
ddrcrono said:

"Liz and the Blue Bird" is the main song they play for their second year, and to me one of the best parts of Eupho is the build up of each song across the season before it's climax when they ultimately play the song in the competition. That build up happens in Liz, so I think skipping it would deprive you of that sense of progression, among other things. But if you don't really care about the music it's up to you. Personally I would go out of my way to recommend Liz to anyone I can. I just love this movie soo much and I love that it was my favourite director Naoko Yamada's passion project.

btw, I'm sorry if everything I've said about this movie overhypes it for you and you ultimately don't really like it. That's just how I feel about it.
Jul 6, 5:56 PM

Jul 2019
Please WATCH every movie (except recaps), they're everything you'll have for the second year, just go for the release order: Liz to Aoi Tori, Chikai no Finale and Ensemble Contest-hen

also Liz to Aoi Tori is a masterpiece :)
ArtaxerxesCCJul 6, 6:00 PM
Jul 6, 6:11 PM

Jul 2019
ddrcrono said:

Watch it before Chikai no Finale, it's not filler for the anime because it's related to the song played for the regionals
Jul 9, 6:15 AM

Apr 2008
Reply to watsym
@ddrcrono It's part of Kumiko's second year, though it doesn't focus on her.
The band members it focuses on will graduate, hence why it's best viewed next to Chikai, which is also Kumiko's second year.

It could be viewed at the end, but that would mean going back to second year characters after finishing everything.

Best order for everything is:

first year:
1) Season 1
2) Season 2
second year:
3) Liz and Blue Bird
4) Movie 3 - Chikai no Finale
third year:
5) Ensemble Contest OVA
6) Season 3
@watsym Thanks for the clarification, I'll probably include it in the original watch then.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.