Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2021 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Got to see a bit of WildKat and its owner, Hanekoma. It seems he's a pretty cool guy and useful ally to have. I also kinda like his personality so far.

Yoshiya is still very mysterious imo but has a wise way of operating around the city. What a cliffhanger! Yoshiya may not be appear who he really is and Neku is finding out the hard way. Can't wait to see more next episode.
May 7, 2021 10:11 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, Joshua tricked Neku pretty well with that message. Probably the only way to get him to come to the place he wants to go. At least Neku finally got to learn more about this game through Hanekoma.

Ah, the ramen mission from the third game has been cut out. It’s probably for the best, because I’d rather have the anime pace it’s main story better than waste its time doing missions that don’t add much to the main story. It’s a bit of a bummer because that mission was kinda fun, lol. Though, it might’ve not worked as well in anime format.

They pretty much glossed over the microphone segment of Day 4 too. Again, it’s better for its overall pacing, but it does make the days feel emptier.

It’s interesting that Sota and Nao’s conversation with Neku was covered in this episode. But I’m a bit bummed that they cut out Neku’s thoughts after talking with them. It does quite a bit for Neku’s character, but I guess his demeanor isn’t quite up there yet to be saying stuff like that. Neku went through a noticeable personality change by this point in the game (before he regained his memories about Joshua), but in the anime’s he’s more-or-less the same.

And now Neku remembers that he died because of Joshua. Well, he’ll sure have a hard time trusting his partner in this week… not that Joshua was ever a very trustworthy person, lol.

Well, the pacing in this episode wasn’t bad. However, the structure of this episode’s a bit messy. It just kinda feels like stuff’s just happening for the sake of happening, rather than it being a natural progression. There’s a lot of stuff that happens that feels meaningless. Like that conversation with Sota and Nao didn’t add anything new or important to the story or characters, unlike the game where Neku started to look at the things and people around him more positively. That conversation was in the anime simply because it was there in the game. There was a lot more to that conversation in the game because there was a lot more to Sota and Nao since they were a part of that skipped Tin Pin storyline.

And Joshua’s reveal doesn’t feel as impactful because Neku really had any sense camaraderie with Joshua prior to it. In the game, they had their Tin Pin mission, the Ramen mission and the microphone mission, where the two cooperated to meet their objectives. By this point in the story, Neku did trust his partner. In the game, Neku felt betrayed by Joshua. In the anime, it just felt like an untrustworthy guy became even more untrustworthy.
GoldenDevilGamerMay 7, 2021 10:19 AM
May 7, 2021 10:53 AM

Jun 2019
Looks like Neku blames himself for what happened to Shiki. But there are some interesting things going on in the game this time around.

The game master sure is plotting something since he ain't giving any missions either. I'm still not comfortable with Kiryu. He seems shady to me. We also got to see Hanekoma who was once again helping Neku and Kiryu. For the first time, we saw that those noise creatures can also attack the reapers.

That ending tho. What could be his motive?
May 7, 2021 10:54 AM

Feb 2019
Decent episode, but a lot of events feel like they’re happening purely for the sake of happening rather than for natural plot progression. The convo with Sota and Nao for instance. Highlight of the week is obviously Neku learning about Joshua’s connection to his death. It’s going to be even harder to work with him going forward
May 7, 2021 11:00 AM

Jul 2017
Joshua is a real swine of a character, but since Neku is the kind of character that needs to be forced to go places, it's understandable if Joshua has to send Neku a fake mission to get to where they need to go...to Cat Street, the place of WildKat and Hanekoma.

The title drop with Hanekoma: to enjoy things while you can, is a game changer, and it all rests on Neku to fix his sortie and reasoning.

To see both players and Reapers in the same exact situation in the midst of Taboo Noise, that's something. Even more so that Sota and Nao's conversation with Neku and Joshua is pretty much glossed over with as minimal details as possible to give Neku a conviction to both fight and trust Joshua with whatever they can muster.

CAT's graffiti of Neku's best place. and Joshua intentionally leaking his betrayal of Neku...yelp, a mysterious guy that becomes more untrustworthy with the passing of time.

At death's throes will Neku's memories never cease to eavesdrop...
May 7, 2021 11:05 AM
Sep 2015
I'm wondering if the game has multiple endings, and if the anime stick to the true ending (if it ever has one).
May 7, 2021 11:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn Joshua is really mysterious... could it really be that he shot Neku when he was alive? That's terrifying to be honest I hope it isn't true
May 7, 2021 11:26 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
phantomfandom said:
I'm wondering if the game has multiple endings, and if the anime stick to the true ending (if it ever has one).
There was only one ending in the game. However, there was a bonus scene at the end of the game if the player collected all secret reports (which are collectables that gave more insight of the Reapers' Game).
May 7, 2021 11:31 AM

Aug 2020
Those reapers resemble Shiki and Neku, don't you think?
May 7, 2021 11:42 AM
Jul 2017
phantomfandom said:

The game only has one ending + bonus scene if all secret reports are collected.

-----

Am I the only one who's a tad bothered by Fusion Lv2 spam? I guess two different attacks done at the same time is hard to animate, but still. (Should've kept the light puck shtick from the DS.)
May 7, 2021 3:22 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Joshua really shot Neku with a Nerf gun...
May 7, 2021 3:39 PM

Mar 2012
rip my beloved noodle mission :'( but i will forgive it for keeping the THIS MIC IS ZETTA SEXY line.

i have the info on what it happens because I played the game several times. how are anime-only viewers reacting about this episode? because even for me it seemed so... messy.
May 7, 2021 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
Yoshiya is responsible for the death of Neku, and he is very mysterious.
May 7, 2021 8:58 PM

Jul 2017
Lamss said:
Joshua really shot Neku with a Nerf gun...

Lmao

It's even funnier when they show the whole memory at the end and...

Even if you kill me, even if you kill anyone, even if you reset science… There’s always an idiot who will try anything, and the shiny monkeys will inevitably create a technological civilization.

May 7, 2021 9:04 PM

Oct 2016
As much as I love Joshua as a character, I feel so bad for Neku.
You'd think that the guy has suffered enough, but nope. There's still more after this.
May 7, 2021 11:43 PM

Oct 2016
Good episode, Joshua is a pretty mysterious dude though, I don't think he's a bad dude. But the question is, why'd he shoot Neku? That's a weird ass gun though lmao. And where the heck did Minamimoto go, no one is giving out missions, at least he got that zetta sexy mic with him.

Kinda feel bad for Sota and Nao, even if they did win, what happened to Neku will probably happen to them too. Well, now we know how Neku died, the only question now is why? Looking forward to the next episode.

May 8, 2021 6:56 AM

Feb 2021
Even in episode 4, I knew Joshua shot Neku! I honestly can't believe that I was right about that.
Eat ass and spew sass!

May 8, 2021 10:00 AM

Nov 2013
so he's not the only one to play this game more than once but
May 8, 2021 8:33 PM
Jul 2019
The pacing has improved drastically imo ever since second week started. It's now flowing better.

However the fights are still crap unfortunately. As I said before, pretty underwhelming as an adaptation for a game known for its innovative combat system. It's episode 5 and they have barely shown any new pins.
May 8, 2021 8:35 PM
Jul 2019
Youkasan said:
phantomfandom said:

-----

Am I the only one who's a tad bothered by Fusion Lv2 spam? I guess two different attacks done at the same time is hard to animate, but still. (Should've kept the light puck shtick from the DS.)

Yes and it's part of the reasons why the fights in this adaptation has been terrible for me. They just want to get rid of the fights as quickly as possible probably to lower the animations and CGI cost.
May 8, 2021 10:24 PM

Jun 2013
As someone who's played the video game, I was waiting for this moment (specifically ending of the episode) :^)
May 9, 2021 1:17 AM

Oct 2017
Wonder how CAT is connected to all of these events and woa Kiryu killed Neku? Why I wonder.
May 9, 2021 7:48 AM
Jul 2017
el3mel said:
Youkasan said:

-----

Yes and it's part of the reasons why the fights in this adaptation has been terrible for me. They just want to get rid of the fights as quickly as possible probably to lower the animations and CGI cost.

I thought the fights from Week 1 were pretty good. Because Neku actually uses his Psychs. The only thing that'll be a saving grace in this Week adaption is that Sho spouts out the numbers to pi like in the game.
May 9, 2021 8:48 PM
Feb 2016
Am I the only one that really didn't like this episode? Like I've been feeling the show has kinda been getting more boring and losing its appeal to me as it goes on but this episode really did it. Like they've made it so obvious Joshua was up to no good with Neku's inner monologue about how he can't trust him. "Oh no something's off I can't trust this guy" "I can't trust him" "should I trust him? maybe it's okay" then BOOM that imo shitty reveal that he's the one that killed him and Joshua's dumb shit eating grin at the end. Like the hamfisted build up just made it so obvious and I think it was bad writing. I haven't played the game but I know some anime have issues translating the story and key moments well, wondering if that has anything to do with what happened here.
May 10, 2021 8:40 AM
Apr 2017
KotsuKilljoy said:
Am I the only one that really didn't like this episode? Like I've been feeling the show has kinda been getting more boring and losing its appeal to me as it goes on but this episode really did it. Like they've made it so obvious Joshua was up to no good with Neku's inner monologue about how he can't trust him. "Oh no something's off I can't trust this guy" "I can't trust him" "should I trust him? maybe it's okay" then BOOM that imo shitty reveal that he's the one that killed him and Joshua's dumb shit eating grin at the end. Like the hamfisted build up just made it so obvious and I think it was bad writing. I haven't played the game but I know some anime have issues translating the story and key moments well, wondering if that has anything to do with what happened here.

Maybe if it's too obvious and they don't do a good job of hiding it , maybe there's more to it than Joshua trully being Neku's killer..
AkuseruVIIIMay 10, 2021 8:51 AM
May 11, 2021 5:53 AM

May 2015
This plot is going all sorts of crazy directions, I love it
May 11, 2021 1:29 PM
Dec 2017
They actually added blood in the series and it makes me wonder if they'll add it in Neo TWEWY.

May 12, 2021 5:33 PM

Mar 2020
I wasn't able to watch this episode on twewsday, but fortunately for me twednesday works well enough for me to not have to commit to a stupid joke and wait a whole week.

Once again tin pin slammer has been retconned for no reason, which is a shame since I thought Joshua's remark about Neku beating a bunch of middle schoolers was pretty funny in the game. The different conversation between Sota and Nao was a little disappointing as well, primarily because we will never get to hear Neku get called Nekky.

I like how the weather in this episode was moodier like how it was at the end of week one. It's cool to see the taboo noise being treated as actual threats since they're pretty easy in the game (except for the crab noise. They'd be more managable if Joshua's dodge move didn't suck ass).

On the subject of Joshua, this episode was primarily about him, but not in the way I liked. They managed to remove pretty much all of the mystery to his character, which is what made him so appealing in the first place. Everything he does in the game is motivated by some underhanded goal and you always get the feeling that he comes out on top, even when Neku manages to force his hand. I don't understand why Joshua gets so assblasted in the anime whenever Neku scans him, since I'm pretty sure Joshua knew he was being scanned in the original game and decided to relay his memory of Neku's death to try and dissuade him from clearing the game a second time.

I think I'm running out of things to say about this adaptation, which is kind of sad. My greatest fear when the anime was announced was that it would be extremely boring due to a lot of the development occuring through dialog. That's pretty much how I've felt about this show the entire time since it's clear the passion for the source material comes from the art. I thought it was neat how Joshua and Neku drank the coffee that raises HP when they stopped by Wildkat. That item's a lifesaver in the game, especially when playing on hard.
May 15, 2021 1:54 AM

Jan 2009
so Joshua is Nekus killer all along no wonder Joshua is acting sus the whole time
May 19, 2021 6:11 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Damnit, late again, way more late than last time... sorry, I really need to stop being so zetta slow lol...

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

Okay, we got more awkward Kingdom Hearts pauses between lines of dialogue again... more unnecessary recap Week 1 flashbacks again to compensate for cutting so much of Week 1 out... more of the actual week's content getting cut out, sucks that we don't get to see any ramen... oh hey, Cat Street!

Well, at least we get to see Wildkat at long last...... hey wait, if you're just gonna have Neku tell Hanekoma what happened to Shiki, then what was the point of showing the flashback again in the cold open? And how does the line "he helped me out a bunch" work when the anime actually CUT some of his screentime a bit? Aaaagh I gotta stop being so negative haha. The music that plays when Joshua explains what he finds so fun about the Reaper's Game is pretty neat—once again, major props to Takeharu Ishimoto, really cool he came back for this show—and it's cool that we actually see them drink some coffee. I didn't realize that the coffee was actually an HP-raising item you could get in the original game though, somehow forgot to buy items from this guy when I played the game so thank you @XeroBeat for that tidbit of information. Genuinely didn't know that :P
I also like this brief moment when Neku tells Hanekoma about CAT and Hanekoma then gives Neku some advice. Granted, this could be because this was a scene I also liked in the original game too, but I feel like this is the first time the anime actually bothers to let some of his character shine a bit better, so I think it's worth mentioning. Love the little smirk he makes here too haha. also obligatory title namedrop

Much later into the episode (when another day passes) the scenery shifts to night. Considering the original game never shows any nighttime or even a change in weather, this was interesting and I had to note it. I like the murky looking weather they chose to put here, and for once after a long while, the show actually brought a much-needed laugh from me by bringing back a fan-favorite line. Yes hahaha, I am indeed talking about Sho's "this mic's so zetta sexy!" line. Sure, it sucks that like everything else that part simply gets glossed over here in this show, but don't lie, you all know you liked that part XDDD
There's also a fight scene towards the end; I like the music playing here, but like most of the fight scenes in this show so far, it somehow lacks the impact that makes a fight scene good. I guess it's just because the anime just makes Neku and Joshua spam their Lv2 Fusion on all the Taboo Noise they meet and calls it a day lol

And now... that last scene. Interesting that the anime made Neku go full-on confrontation about this on this part, but yeah, they definitely nailed that horrifying look Joshua has during that flashback. I've gotten used to how the anime is fond of using glitchy technology effects for this flashback and the day transitions, but I think I'm starting to like how it's used here. Still can't believe the anime actually portrays blood this time.

THE 5TH EPISODE

Territory
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐃.
Aug 24, 2021 1:43 AM

Jul 2015
Well damn, I knew Joshua was sketchy AF, poor Neku for being partners with his murderer.

Oct 29, 2021 5:10 PM

Dec 2013
We got a title drop. I really like Hanekoma. He's such a cool guy.

Neku has some amazing luck being partnered with his apparent murderer.
Mar 27, 2022 5:15 AM

Jul 2021
Imagine being paired up by a murderer.
Oct 2, 2022 6:25 AM

Dec 2012
4 days.
Dat message.
lol at Yoshiya sending Neku a fake message.
Hanekoma.
Dem new apps.
Dem badges.
Yoshiya wants to guide Shibuya.
3 days.
Kitaniji and Konishi.
Yoshiya will get the mic for them.
The Forbidden Noise.
Uzuki and...
lol at Uzuki's face.
LMAO Sho took the mic.
They won.
Yoshiya shot Neku?
Dat ending.

Because I knew someone was going to say it in the comments:

@KANLen09 @Fario-P @G_Spark233 I know your posts are from last year so you don't need to reply. Correction: Hanekoma didn't title drop anything. He says in the Japanese version: "Sekai tte no wa jibun ni mie teru toko made shika nai", which is "The world is only as far as you can see it". The original JP title of the series is "Subarashiki Kono Sekai" which is "It's a Wonderful World". Due to legal issues the overseas title was changed to "The World Ends with You". The English subs (what you saw) changed what Hanekoma said.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 12, 2023 2:59 PM
Jun 2023
The story writing is amazing

More topics from this board

Poll: » CALLING

removed-user - Jul 3, 2020

22 by Rage_Beat06 »»
May 15, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2021

59 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 28, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

29 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Oct 28, 2022 1:09 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

27 by Rob »»
Oct 4, 2022 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.