Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2019 11:02 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
welp, this was an interesting watch to say the least. the style of combining plain 2D with realistic backgrounds, as well as tones and shadings felt somewhat refreshing and aesthetically pleasing. the camera shots, the slow motions and stuff like that, everything gave that western-like feeling
and no wonder, since it's a joint work of Japan and France, the movie was really Hollywoodesque, a blockbuster of some sorts

also, the music was superb. fucking The Toxic Avenger is goat and fits this type of movie really well with his new rave and electronic tunes. especially during the chase scenes, or whenever shit went down, the music just hits you with that fast tempo and builds up the suspense

but other than that, plot-wise it was pretty meh. the story didn't really lead anywhere with this cliffhanger-like feeling and leaving many unanswered questions behind. it's like they introduced a little bit of everything and stopped, some political context thrown in and an open ending that asks for continuation, yet i doubt there will be any
Mar 4, 2019 7:02 AM

Dec 2016
Pretty strange movie, Pretty great animation
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 6, 2019 3:20 AM

Oct 2015
I guess Luna wanted to start over from her identity. There is also her father who seems to have relocated it seems to the moon and will continue world domination from there.

Enjoyable and dark, i would watch the sequel if they decide to make one.

8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 6, 2019 4:53 PM

Apr 2017
strangely a good watch i enjoyed the music the most and the chasing/fighting scenes too; it was awesome!, and funny no matter how i put it the title for me reads exactly like the word Motherfuckers with a mexican accent! might be just me thou..
Kirito_onlineMar 6, 2019 5:08 PM
Mar 24, 2019 11:16 AM

Oct 2010
Pretty cool and lots of action. The car chase scene was intense. I liked the shootings, the boys are badass.
Mar 31, 2019 6:00 PM

Apr 2016
Wasn't really feeling it, I was expecting much more after it got recommended to me by my friends. I loved the animation and all the urban references (as someone who has lived in that type of environment) it felt like a great direction. However the story was really not cohesive at all, and the voice acting was super terrible, the english version at least. It really felt like wasted potential, i'm sure it would've been better if I had muted the sound.

Animation + atmosphere = amazing.

everything else is terrible or average.
May 21, 2019 8:15 PM

Aug 2016
Mmm ok I guess. Pero necesita más reggaeton
:v
May 28, 2019 11:58 PM

Jan 2009
damn the story is incomplete, its not even an open ending one, but enjoyable none the less, its like fucking aliens are the illuminati feeding and making global warming and survival of the fittest society (social darwinism) that amplifies human evil shit lol what a story
Jul 8, 2019 10:44 AM
Jan 2019
I liked this movie, even if it was not a work of art, it made me go after the original material to read
Jul 18, 2019 4:52 PM

Oct 2013
That was god damn insane. Couldn't ask for more.
Aug 6, 2019 10:07 PM

May 2016
Please no one watch this in the Japanese dub, it pales so much compared to the original French. Or even the English. This doesn't happen often but it's true here. I tested all three and highly recommend you do too.
ZaugrAug 6, 2019 10:14 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2019 12:20 PM

Dec 2017
Zaugr said:
Please no one watch this in the Japanese dub, it pales so much compared to the original French. Or even the English. This doesn't happen often but it's true here. I tested all three and highly recommend you do too.

watched both french and english, with english being the favorite one. the japanese was bad? lol
a surprise, but oh well, what can you do. it's pretty rare for english dubs to be this good as well tbh
Jan 3, 2020 5:40 PM
Jun 2016
Watched in English. Even though its a French/Japanese colab they got some pretty good voice actors to portray the southern cali accents, which is fairly obvious the setting. I thought it was pretty good. Loved all the little references scattered through out. And I actually liked the open ending. I was kind of hoping that paper airplane was going to find Luna though.
Jan 14, 2020 4:33 PM

Nov 2018
This was dope, liked it more than I thought I would. Gave me a boondocks/boyz in the hood vibe. Should of been a whole series instead of a rushed one-off movie tho
May 11, 2020 9:16 AM

Jul 2013
Cool movie. It reminded me of Aachi wa Ssipak. I really liked the character designs and the soundtrack
Jun 19, 2020 9:07 PM

Aug 2016
First really good anime movie I've seen in ages, maybe I should start watching the newer anime movies more often.

I actually stopped watching it a few months ago in the first couple minutes, glad I picked it up again. 11/10 would think about watching it again.
Jul 1, 2020 11:29 AM

Aug 2018
pretty cool art, music, and story.
i didn't know this existed till today lol 8/10
Aug 21, 2020 4:16 PM

May 2015
It had great action scenes.
May 30, 2021 7:49 AM

Dec 2015
Free Willy!

The idea of "fun & cool" for a (french) teen who grew up in the 80s/90s. An action fantasy full of violent blood'n bullets scenes (like good old US movies), chases, city walls doodles designs, djeuns (slackers?) language, 80s/90s US cinema winks and a manga classic, the chosen berserker teenager.
Of course, it gives us one of those "mature" things kids love.

Good-looking french-japanese animation, filtered to look dark and trashy. Orel-san starts well in the lead role, only to become cartoonish as the film goes.

Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 3/5

A bit of organisation wouldn't have reduced the fun, you know?
Nov 14, 2021 8:39 PM
Jun 2020
Cuándo Mutafukaz 2
Apr 20, 2022 12:31 PM
Nov 2021
Why don't they have the 5 volume comic for mutafukaz series on mal, idk if it's a manga or not but it does look as though it is.
Oct 11, 2022 4:14 AM
Oct 2022
everything thing is great
but problem in story.
Nov 4, 2022 4:06 AM

Apr 2020
eww fr*nch dubbing

Mar 29, 2023 2:52 AM

Aug 2012
Well that was fun. Dumb, kinda crass, action-y fun. Decided to watch this dub and I'd rank it among the best dubs I've seen. Luna and Vinz occasionally sounded unconvincing, Vinz only seemed to be able to emote properly when he was cursing out Willy, but otherwise this felt very natural and fit well within the setting. Hard to imagine this would've feel more fitting in Japanese or French, certainly felt more like a cartoon than anime at points. Like maybe something Adult Swim would produce but with much better production values. The visuals are absolutely a high point, I love the look of the movie and the character designs, and how to spice things up visually occasionally swap things up. The montage with the far more detailed/shaded images of what the people were up with after they ran from the rocket building, how during the ice cream chase system it switched up to a map view, or even just going with a black & white colour palette for a bit. 

I've seen plenty of criticism of the story, but I don't have an issue with it. Mr. K isn't properly resolved, things kinda just happen in a sense with the scientist & the luchadores getting involved (side-note: it helps that things are properly seeded, you can see the Scientist being reported missing on the newspaper Vinz is reading at the shithole Willy set them up in), and Angelino & Vinz actually accomplish very little with almost all the bad guys being taking care off by somebody else. I get why none of that would appeal to a lot of people, but for me it provided sort of a chaotic charm to everything that's uniquely all it's own. The only time they truly contribute is defeating the police that bust into their apartment, and I love how they do it. Making use of the roach swarm or Vinz' fire head, love that both those gags actually get utilized in plot-specific ways, it's fun.

I wouldn't say this is perfect or anything, I did find myself getting tired of several of the action scenes as I think they stretch out a bit too long, not all the jokes land, and I didn't really care for Luna's involvement, she helps make the plot work better but she felt surprisingly bland here compared to the flavour the rest of this movie brought. Though one last positive it provided me was the chance to chance a lucha libre wrestler beat up Hitler. 7/10.

Oh, and fuck you Willy.
TerrestriousMar 26, 2:26 AM
Apr 19, 6:00 PM

Nov 2023
They ain't way people can tell this was anime
Jul 19, 6:12 AM

Feb 2022
I've reading MFKZ 2018 and I've noticed that the comic was different than the movie

More topics from this board

» Accessibility

DankSpaghetti - Oct 29, 2018

11 by Honestyle-Kaz »»
Nov 9, 2021 7:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.