Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 21, 2017 2:00 PM
Feb 2013
Was interested in watching a few of the newer series and was wondering if I actually needed to go and watch the countless other series before it in order to understand the story and lore?
May 21, 2017 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
Not really, it depends on the show. I would not recommend watching Gundam Unicorn without having seen all or at least most of the classic Universal Century timeline Gundams (Original MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn build one timeline).

But you can watch Iron-Blooded Orphans, Gundam Origins (kind of a retelling of the original MSG), Thunderbolt and even G-reco without much prior knowledge in terms of the other most recent gundams. All the other Alternate Universe Gundams like SEED, 00, After War, Turn A, G Gundam, Age and Wing you should also be able to watch on their own.

It'll always come in handy to be familiar with the UC timeline because a lot of the concepts and references are related to it, but in terms of story and characters all the AUs are standalone and you shouldn't have any trouble if you decide to watch them.
AlcoholicideMay 21, 2017 2:12 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
May 21, 2017 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
I've only watched Gundam Seed and I loved it.
May 21, 2017 2:10 PM

Oct 2014
To fully understand it you have to watch UC which is 270 episodes. Start with Mobile Suit Gundam and watch the sequels of it in order. After that you can watch any other series in the franchise in any order. If fact, if you just want to watch the spin-offs you might just want to watch the first season of UC which is 43 episodes. Very few are true standalone but I don't think you need to see them all in release. I haven't seen the series, though.
May 21, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2015
Pullman said:
Not really, it depends on the show. I would not recommend watching Gundam Unicorn without having seen all or at least most of the classic Universal Century timeline Gundams (Original MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn build one timeline).

But you can watch Iron-Blooded Orphans, Gundam Origins (kind of a retelling of the original MSG), Thunderbolt and even G-reco without much prior knowledge in terms of the other most recent gundams. All the other Alternate Universe Gundams like SEED, 00, After War, Turn A, G Gundam, Age and Wing you should also be able to watch on their own.

It'll always come in handy to be familiar with the UC timeline because a lot of the concepts and references are related to it, but in terms of story and characters all the AUs are standalone and you shouldn't have any trouble if you decide to watch them.

meanwhile
>watching unicorn rn
>havent even finished zeta
:D

So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
May 22, 2017 12:43 AM
May 2007
For Alternate Universe Gundam, you really don't have to. You can start with any series. But I say it does help, but not a prerequisite. Each Gundam offers something different.
May 22, 2017 4:33 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been move to Gundam series board

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 3 Discussion

DeathfireD - Oct 22, 2007

47 by Kaydansnk »»
Oct 21, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Serg - Oct 13, 2007

60 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 20, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Serg - Oct 6, 2007

90 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 20, 2:10 PM

» Do I need to watch anything before this?

frosty_thoughts - Sep 10

7 by TVWithLancelot »»
Sep 16, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Likewise - Dec 9, 2007

69 by TheSelleri »»
Sep 2, 4:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.