Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 18, 2015 1:59 PM

Jul 2008
AppoX said:
I don't like the pro-war anti-anti-war activist undertones of this episode.... It seems to be aimed at dehumanizing deserters and anti-war activists.

Hell this almost feels like propaganda. The people who help those deserters are crazy immoral assholes.... -,-

Well as a pacifist I did not enjoy this episode, this ever-present filthy jingoism made me disgusted.

What the heck is pro-war in this series? From the very start the series did nothing but condemn the war.
However, that does not mean that those against warmongering are all nice people. Majority of idealists ARE egoistical assholes and if Young Black Jack has shown one thing, it is that it doesn't play favorites.

The world is not black&white where you have the wrong side and the right side. Both sides are filled with humans, both good and bad humans.

Samii said:
That guy is just so ungrateful, even after he got saved. Everyone of them even in the past two episodes are just selfish.

Who the heck wouldn't react like that? Letting a student of medicine do a brain surgery is equal to murder. Black Jack is a fantasy character, not your average student of medicine so it is miracle that the guy survived. Maybe eventually he becomes thankful, but not now. First, he must make sure that he does not die and that means finding an actual hospital and letting a licensed, high-level doctor take care of him.

Kay_Lite said:
Also, since when did Hazama and Okamoto get along? She's casually lurking around his house like they are dating or something..

Off-screen I suppose. It is not like we have to check every day of Hazama's life.

LogiRogi said:
Funny. I'm no doctor nor would I want to be and I understand the risks performing the operation would have on his career, but to just walk away and let a man die would have been seriously messed up. Anyone who would have walked away just because they didn't like the people seem pretty rotten to me.

Look at it from a realistic perspective: you can either walk away and let him die or kill him yourself. Black Jack could save him due to being supernatural genius, and that's the whole point here. Even a high-level, high-skilled Doctor would have a high chance of screwing it up, yet alone a mere student
If you are not Black Jack but a regular student of medicine, the correct course of action would be to call the ambulance and find a way to stop these two crazy idealists from taking the wounded man away.

LogiRogi said:
It's awful that the woman forced him to do it, but what should she have done? Let the one person who could save his life walk away? I don't get the episode's intentions to portray these two as selfish when they were pretty much just trying to save his life. If the guy had been an actual deserter he would've likely been saved via a legal operation and then shipped off to die in Vietnam. Either way he would die. Would the best course of action be to just let him die? I don't think a person should be able to deny saving another person's life if they can help.

That's really awful what that jackass CIA agent did to the actual deserter. That scum lied to them and then got his life saved but he still only thought of himself. People in this topic are hating on the female protester but this guy is the one who deserved to die. He probably sent the other guy off to his death.

That woman is an egoistical idiot. She had two plans:
1. Ask a student of medicine to save him. However, no student of medicine can do that so the patient would, without doubt, die.
2. Ship him to Europe, even though it is obvious that by the time he comes there he will be beyond saving and die a slow, painful death

Mind you that neither of these two plans would result in his life being saved. Calling the ambulance would put the soldier at risk of just being sent back to Vietnam, but there is still a small chance that this somehow does not occur. Unliek her two plans, this course of action would at least give him a chance.

NOT calling an ambulance is murder... a painful, slow murder in case of Plan 2. Fortunately, this is an Anime where the Main Character has god-like skill so Plan 1 worked. But that does not excuse her actions because she had no reason to know that our MC possesses godlike skill.
Oct 18, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2008
Why does Hazama suddenly look so moe?
Oct 18, 2015 5:48 PM

Oct 2011
OMG I want to hug Hazama T__________T
Oct 18, 2015 6:19 PM

Nov 2014
I forgot how moe Hazama was. ;3;

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Oct 19, 2015 4:36 AM

Jun 2009
Definitely better than the first two episodes.

Oct 19, 2015 5:04 AM

Jun 2013
Hazama should've smacked that bitch ornat least let his gf smack her.
She was so fucking annoying. She reminds me of PETA and that one incident in France where they ripped a puppy from a homeless man's arms. My heart broke when the homeless man cried helplessly after they forcibly took his dog away from him.
This episode reminded me why I hate certain activists groups.
臭い-
Oct 19, 2015 7:50 AM

Jan 2009
Great episode! This show keeps on being intriguing. Definitely gonna watch this to the end.
Oct 19, 2015 11:04 AM

Jun 2008
AppoX said:
I don't like the pro-war anti-anti-war activist undertones of this episode.... It seems to be aimed at dehumanizing deserters and anti-war activists.

Hell this almost feels like propaganda. The people who help those deserters are crazy immoral assholes.... -,-

Well as a pacifist I did not enjoy this episode, this ever-present filthy jingoism made me disgusted.

The same.
Basically government nationalistic propaganda.

MonadOct 19, 2015 11:15 AM
Oct 20, 2015 1:22 AM

Jun 2014
Wow that was a real mood killer episode! The whole self conflict that Hazama had about treating that man. Then the activists threatening him with a gun, but they claim to be pacifists. Viet Nam arc starts next week, things are going to get more interesting!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 22, 2015 3:29 AM

May 2014
When he hit the girl, the satisfaction omg 😭😭😭
Oct 23, 2015 11:16 AM

Sep 2015
5/5 episode. That dilemma though... it makes you think what would you do in his position.

LIKE A BOSS when he pushed that b*tch!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2015 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Awesome episode!! I enjoyed this more than the second one and I can't wait to see what happens next time.

SchwingBoner said:
[center]

Oct 24, 2015 12:22 PM

Feb 2014
lmao at the end just realized the narrator is the VA for Black Jack in the original series :o

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Oct 25, 2015 3:15 AM

Jul 2008
I don't condone violence against women...however when one puts a gun to your head, exceptions can be made. Hazama should have slugged her.

This show is great.
Oct 28, 2015 3:39 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, those people that claimed to help deserters were so selfish! Especially that woman..
The fact she had to lie to herself to get through it says it all..
Jack caught some attention otherwise.. I wonder how he gets in Vietnam in the next episode?
Oct 30, 2015 12:46 AM
Sep 2013
Are there not more people with medical background watching this show? I am a Head and Neck surgeon to be, and I find this show hilarious. While I love surgery, surgery is not the treatment for everything especially with an raised intracranial pressure. Anyhow this episode should have ended when he did a lumber puncture on a patient with GCS of maximum 8 without airway support, and he would have coned. The end.

I love how the show made out decompressive craniotomy/craniectomy is much harder than reattaching a upper and lower limb while harvesting a great saphenous vein all by himself... Seriously emergency decompression of the skull is something a junior doctor may sometimes have to consider in rural when patient may not survive the transfer, or the neural tissues may not survive.

But take home message here is DON'T DO a lumber puncture on someone who just had a deteriorated mental status. Lol this show is funny.

Avenger-senpai said:
Dam, you can't help but feel sorry for Hazama for all the assholes he has to deal with : / People always tend to take advantage of another's goodwill.

That's real life. Most patients are demanding, especially in a public hospital. They take up so much of your life that you forget about the good patients who were grateful of your service.
Oct 30, 2015 9:07 PM

Aug 2014
lagpipi said:
Are there not more people with medical background watching this show? I am a Head and Neck surgeon to be, and I find this show hilarious. While I love surgery, surgery is not the treatment for everything especially with an raised intracranial pressure. Anyhow this episode should have ended when he did a lumber puncture on a patient with GCS of maximum 8 without airway support, and he would have coned. The end.

No background is required to know not to the medical aspects of this show seriously. But common sense is required to know that no one is doing so.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 4, 2015 2:20 AM

Jul 2012
Not as interesting as the first two episodes.

Best scene tbh

straggy said:
Also Smith looked soooo much like a fully white version of Sentaro Kawabuchi from Sakamichi no Apollon before he got his hair cut...
truuuuu

Onto the next episode. I hope the main plot comes soon.
Nov 28, 2015 6:01 PM

Feb 2008
They are going a bit too far with "everyone a bad guy". I've read bit of the manga and watched the OVA, and it wasn't always so "black". Black Jack was always anti-war, but here it was a bit blurry. I mean sure, just because someone is helping other people, doesn't mean they are a good person, as maybe they are only helping for self satisfaction. But they could have done that with some other theme rather than war.

It wasn't a bad episode though, I liked the way Smith reacted to everything and the ending of the episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 11, 2016 5:37 PM

Aug 2014
idk the episode feels like something that truly belongs in the past? too dramatic i mean, and take itself v seriously.
Sep 13, 2020 3:26 AM
Jul 2019
The facist undertones in this episodes really are hurting this series heavily. Its a problem with japanese culture in general and can be see in other anime, they didnt went through something like the French revolution so it is to be expected that the feudal servant mentality of dying for your leaders blindly is strong there, protesters of any kind are always shown as brutes and terrorists while conformism is seen as superior, fighting for your human or personal rights basically means you're a cartoon super-villain as bizarre as it should sound...

but when it gets to the point of pacifists being literally seen as exagerated super-villain terrorists with guns that are "selfish"... thats just propaganda at this point, and seing some of the comments here, its propaganda that works too.

Nayrael said:
AppoX said:

Majority of idealists ARE egoistical assholes and if Young Black Jack has shown one thing, it is that it doesn't play favorites.

Actually, the user you attacked is in the right. Showing every form of protest, activism or anti-war as evil assholes and sellfish for not reason and with no logic to the point of killing..... for being "against killing", to the point where they will always be murderous and foolish is pretty much propaganda 101, kid, its not showing good and bad people if anything "anti-stabilishment" is defined as evil, its a historical consequence of them still having an emperor that dates way back so the idea that "your boss/leader/mayor is always right and if hes not you gotta take it cause if you complain you are lazy evil and sellfish" is ingrained in many of them, its a serious issue in Japan.

forcifully making up stereotypes to justify conclusions like all the ones from posters wanting to kill the cartoon woman who suddenly acted as a supervillain, if you have a pacifist carry a gun and be an unredeamable monster and thats the one portrayal any form of protest sees, its pretty much trying to tie these ideas to you, as to the more nationalist japanese, every form of protest is terrorism, no exceptions, you see this in many popular anime from certain authors but usually way toned down, even people who want better work conditions are always shown as lazy bullies that get beaten by the cool bishonen as even that is too much. I understand you may be too young or already drink the facism cool-aid, but when a discussion is "don kill" and you go to the point as saying its sellfish its pretty much was propaganda.
Sep 13, 2020 7:01 AM

Jul 2008
MGemergencyfiles said:
protesters of any kind are always shown as brutes and terrorists while conformism is seen as superior, fighting for your human or personal rights basically means you're a cartoon super-villain as bizarre as it should sound...

The protests in this episode were not invented by the writer though: they are almost 1:1 depiction of what happened. The movements showed in this episode started very well, but eventually went in such a wrong direction that they had lost all their popular support. This in turn hurt other movements that fought for a change, the ones that maybe wouldn't have derailed in such a bad direction.

MGemergencyfiles said:
Actually, the user you attacked is in the right.

Viewing a disagreement or counter-argument as an attack is a very worrisome thing.

MGemergencyfiles said:
its a historical consequence of them still having an emperor that dates way back so the idea that "your boss/leader/mayor is always right and if hes not you gotta take it cause if you complain you are lazy evil and sellfish" is ingrained in many of them, its a serious issue in Japan.

While Japanese (and the east Asians in general) have a lot higher fondness for the Authoritarianism than the west, them having an Emperor isn't really part of it. Their Emperors never had any power whatsoever, even the famous Meiji was just a puppet to the pro-westernization anti-westerner political parties that wanted to get rid of the Shogunate (in general, unlike European monarchs who held a lot of personal power, Chinese and Japanese monarchs were figureheads of their "Courts", a system which did actually exist for a while in Europe as well to some extent, but was marked as a "bad government" by the father of Charlemagne, Pepin the Short, in the 8th century). Unlike for instance the British, the Japanese do not speak or think much about their royalty. Today, all the power is in the hands of the Prime Minister and the regional governors (with the later having the right to override the central government's laws and orders).
Not that monarchism is related to authoritarianism that much: most modern authoritarian regimes were republics, not monarchies. And ironically, most of them were created by the revolutionaries - when one is not critical of how the revolution proceeds and who leads it, it is able to birth something even worse.

This all is the historical consequence not of them being a monarchy, but of trends and events that took place over the thousand years (which made them into a traditionalist, collectivist people). The same goes for Europe: French Revolution itself was a result of numerous Europeans trends and events for the last three thousand years (which made them into people primarily concerned with their own person good). Hell, a tea master from late Sengoku period played more of a role in them building to this mindset than any Emperor ever did (as he spread out numerous ideals of staying calm, value of elegance, detest towards "barbaric" behavior, and so on). And the historical failure of the group depicted in this episode further played a huge role in Japanese developing distrust towards protesters and forced change (which is why they, or groups inspired by them appear is so often in their media).
NayraelSep 13, 2020 7:11 AM
Dec 7, 2020 7:10 AM

May 2016
Man, everyone Hazama meets just had to be assholes that exploit his immense skill and good nature... Guy just can't take a break, huh.

The irony of that anti-war activist resorting to methods that are similar to the very thing they're supposed to advocate against is real. While there are definitely good-natured people who really want to help others, scumbags like her exist in the world, doing the right thing only for the sake of stroking their fragile egos. A just cause backed by the wrong people, yikes.

Jul 20, 2021 8:27 PM
Nov 2019
this episode was stressful af to me... plus the woman in this episode was annoying as shit...

good for him on helping the American tho!!
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM
Jun 2014
That's some OB/GYN lol. I didn't know you needed a bone saw and drill for lady parts lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

5 by Shidoteki »»
Jun 17, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

193 by KuriPuri »»
May 8, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.