Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2009 9:09 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great visuals, the story was so-so, but it was about my favorite One Piece character and it was rather funny, so it's a great movie. The fight with Sanji was specially good.
Nov 19, 2009 2:17 AM

Sep 2008
Hmm, so-so movie/story.

It was sometimes funny that it made me lol, but it wasn't that amazing.

3/5 movie.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Dec 24, 2009 9:47 PM
Jan 2009
sanji looks good in glasses .too bad if they were broken at the end of the movie
Sep 14, 2010 2:23 PM

Oct 2008
It was pretty good, kind of like watching an extended episode of One Piece (Although the actual anime is better), like one of the reviews said.
The ending song was brilliant though.
Nov 18, 2010 9:23 PM

May 2010
it should have been chopper ending the battle.. i think in this movie chopper was too soft.. loved the closing credits where we see the younger days of all the main characters!
Nov 22, 2010 10:33 PM

Jun 2009
The movie was so-so, just like every other One Piece movie or special I've seen. I love the tv series, but these movies seem to fall into every shounen cliche I dislike. While, the tv show mangages to avoid most of them.

Even so, the Straw Hats are still a group of royal bad asses. Everyone was useful, even though I can't help but think that Chopper broke character. He seemed to be a lot more courageous from what I saw in the Drum Island arc during the tv series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 24, 2010 8:29 AM

Aug 2010
It was a fairly good movie. The plot was kinda awkward though.

I really liked the animation on this one. It looked really good compared to the previous movies and episodes.

I also loved how Sanji and Zoro complimented each other at the end of their fights. Badass.
Jan 29, 2011 10:16 PM

Jul 2010
i was thiking chopper was gonna finish this fight, but ifhe did than they wouldnt have let him leave, no matter what.
anyway it was a ice movie, nice as a time passer.

Mar 19, 2011 9:59 PM

Oct 2008
It was alright. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 8, 2011 10:00 AM

Sep 2009
ore wa *gets stabbed* oh!
= ore wa ou!
= I am the King!

^ this cracked me up XD
Mar 23, 2012 4:14 PM

Apr 2011
Cute little movie, I liked it a lot. ^-^
Jun 3, 2012 8:57 PM

May 2010
Ah, this makes me nostalgic for the "excessive grinning" episodes of One Piece. Being caught up on the series, I swear it's been a long time since I've seen that. That said, this movie wasn't too great, but enjoyable none the less. Basically, it's a long but decent filler episode.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 1, 2012 11:58 AM

Jul 2011
Great movie - amazing animation (I kinda miss it now), good fights, nice plot, comedy, action... And of course one piece - this makes it even better! Right next to movie 2, I hope the fourth one will be something like that, I like this kind of not-too-long-just-prefect-lenght movies.
5/5
Jun 25, 2014 10:37 PM

Oct 2013
It was ok,kinda boring tho 6/10

Aug 1, 2014 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
A very good movie. Finally some fights of Zoro and Sanji after so long ^_____^
The story was actually nice and the visuals cool. All in all I'm not disappointed (:
Apr 30, 2015 3:34 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
It was ok

Nov 24, 2015 1:38 AM

Apr 2010
This movie reminded me a lot of Disney. :D It was nice to watch I guess.
Jul 13, 2016 10:44 PM

Mar 2015
Really good movie, watched this straight after the conclusion of Drum Island so it was great to see Chopper in action with the rest of the gang.

8/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 24, 2016 10:06 AM

Oct 2015
A boring and very bland movie.. 4/10
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Aug 26, 2016 2:02 PM

Sep 2014
Ok movie. Ussop was funny as usual (especially that boomerang joke) :D
Mar 9, 2017 12:26 AM

Aug 2012
Well, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would going into it. It was alright I guess. There were a fine interesting elements in the movie. I like that it was a lot more mystical this time around. Rather than relying on series staples Devil Fruits, the main source of power king from king golden horns of a dead lion that the bad guy had to eat (much like DF's), turning him into an all-powerful beasts. And Luffy breaking the horns turning him into a far more disturbing image before beating him away was a really bizarre scene for One Piece. The fight itself was pretty boring but at least the circumstances behind it were different enough from the series norm to remain at least relatively entertaining.

That's true for Zoro & Sanji's fight too. Neither of their fights were all that interesting (I did like Zoro chiding Mad Dog for weakening the chains for him by kicking them) but the fact that they weren't fighting their typical designated opponent made it a little engaging even if the action was poor. I like that both of them complimented the other there and it made good use of their relationship. This movie definitely did well to give everybody a useful role too, something I appreciated. I do agree that Chopper wasn't exactly in character, with the emphasizing his cowardly disposition way too much. Character wise I don't think I liked any of the original characters and at this point it's a little annoying how so many of the older One Piece movies inserted an OC kid to either parallel with the main character or to learn the main theme of the movie (which Mombambi did both). I didn't hate the kid or anything but it was definitely a retread of past ideas I wasn't really feeling.

For humor this movie was kinda lacking in regards to the other too, though there were some noteworthy exceptions. Usopp's boomerang for one but I think the funniest moment was easily Luffy throwing his horns ahead of him and getting trampled because he's a moron. I audibly laughed at the moment, whereas usually when I laugh it's more of an inside chuckle so good on you for that movie. Other random notes, the OST felt pretty barren here. I can't remember any notable music moments until the ED song which is a shame because last movie brought us Akisu's Music Box which is one of my favorite melodies in the show. Finally, this movie makes no canonical sense, not that that's relevant in my score but it was noticeable almost immediately.

6/10. Perhaps a bit high, it may be closer to a 5/10 and if I ever re-watch it the score could fall that low but what can I say, I enjoyed the movie fine. Maybe I just like the Straw Hats a bit too much and despite most of this being complaints I suppose, the movie did have aspects I enjoyed.
May 7, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
I enjoyed this movie far more than the previous two. It was funny and had more of an adventure vibe than the previous one. The new characters weren't all that interesting but it was cool to see more of the straw hats as always. Zoro and Sanji complimenting each other was funny but I don't know how realistic it is lol.
Dec 19, 2017 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
Best of the first 3 movies. Still doesn't hold a candle to Strong World but I'm enjoying seeing how the films have changed as I've gone through them. Onto the Dead End.
Mar 10, 2018 10:30 PM

Jun 2016
The first worthwhile One Piece movie. This no longer felt like a cheap One Piece imitation, but rather an enjoyable but simple One Piece story.

In the past two the Straw Hats hardly acted like themselves, instead they were depicted as shallow caricatures of their former selves from the cannon. They were made to occasionally act out of character, and were exaggerated to play to their most notable features in a slapstick like comedy fashion. Sure, at times the characters would still play to shallow jokes that were on the nose and as if it the film was asking us "hey, remember that Zoro and Sanji get into fights?" or "remember that Usopp's legs shake when he's acting brave?". The jokes were like this to mention a few, whereas they were nothing more than a reminder of the source material and they went by like it was nothing, but they were much farther in between and even then they were much better than some of the out character and absolutely vapid jokes from the first two films. In fact the moment where Zoro called Sanji 'prince-sama' made me laugh very hard.

The islands in the first two were so forgettable that I can't recall much about them at all, one was like a floating island that was held up by something in the middle, and the other was a deserted island with nothing on it in particular. What I'm implying here is that the world building was incredibly weak and forgettable. In this movie the island was charming, we got to understand how it was run, and it was original for One Piece. It may have been simple but it stood out and did its job, it's certainly a memorable one to the degree that the small mixed animal island was.

The villains were just as forgettable as the other films and perhaps just as bad as them. They were completely one dimensional, had ugly designs, and were purely there as an obstacle for the Straw Hats. This was one of the more lacking areas.

The other being the supporting character was Coby version 4 as it seems that every One Piece film needs a Coby. At least this one managed to get a meaningful speech out of Luffy, certainly Luffy's best movie speech yet. "But just being with someone doesn't make you a friend, y'know". What a great way of saying that if you want to consider yourself a friend you can't just use them as a shield and say that you're concerned, you need to put yourself up to help them.

The fights were mediocre. Zoro somehow Kenshiro'd out of the water with a chain on him with no explanation. Luffy kicked Butlers butt, but at least Mobambi helping was interesting. However, Sanji had a very cool moment. I'm speaking about when he was mocked for being too pathetic to save anyone and he spit his cigarette on Snake's face and kicked the **** out of him when he was stunned by it. If Sanji was in a One Piece fighting game I'd hope he'd have an unblockable cigarette move that could lead into a kick like that.

One big thing I want to mention is how much I love the ED. Seeing all their pasts with that song and then the conclusion of all their adorable child forms walking together until they flash forward to adults was perfect. This ED happens to be my favorite OP ED and one of my favorite ED's ever currently.

Easily the first worthwhile One Piece movie but it still was lacking. It was fun but nothing else. If it had some more detailed world building, if Mobambi had been shown to become close with Chopper rather than automatically wanting to be his friend even in small ways, if the villains were not as one dimensional and boring as ever then it could have been a 7/10. Instead right now it sits as a 6/10.
Jul 21, 2020 6:53 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Interesting visual on these movie with a lot of strange animal. The story telling was indeed the unique OP style with no proper conclusion. The villain were so shit and gave no impact. At the end, nothing much as my satisfaction. So, yeah, 6 for this nostalgic movie must be enough.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 12, 2020 3:33 AM

Mar 2020
Ah, that moment when Zoro and Sanji's underlying respect for each other comes on. Damn, that's camaraderie.
"We got our real treasure back", those lines are just too good
Oct 13, 2020 11:37 AM

Sep 2019
This one was funny, this one cracked me up. Zoro was Savage towards Sanji and I absolutely loved it.

6/10
Oct 27, 2020 11:16 PM

May 2016
The art and animation here was really decent and I definitely appreciated these aspects despite the rather lacking fights and the lame-ass villains.

Chopper making his entrance as the Animal King was comedic gold~

Jun 8, 2022 9:20 PM

Nov 2010
It was good. It made me laugh here and there. I didn't like the villains though. 7/10
Dec 9, 2022 9:35 PM
Oct 2018
cum cum fruit did not give me pleasure.
Jan 8, 2023 5:23 AM

Jun 2020
I did not enjoy this movie it felt really slow for one piece. Chopper should have been more present in the fights and the villains were really bad but had easy to dislike designs.

Jun 7, 2023 3:09 AM

Aug 2019
That was fantastic!! Such a fun movie

I like how it focuses on Chopper as a new crew member who is still getting used to his surroundings. Still, the strawhats care significantly about Chopper, and I love how this film illustrates that.
Jul 12, 2023 6:50 PM
Oct 2019
Finally Chopper is in the movie.
The joke in this movie was good, it made me laugh a lot.

I like the fight sequences.
Story was decent.
Villain was generic.

If only Chopper delivering the finishing blow, it would be awesome.

6/10
Sep 28, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2023
this movie was a solid 5/10, how dare they make choppers movie so mid :[ chopper deserves a new movie thats 10/10 best chara
Oct 8, 2023 11:44 PM

Mar 2016
While the strongest of the movies so far...it was still weak story-wise, but managed to pull off a double-length episode atmosphere.
Despite being named to suggest a story focused on Chopper, he got side-lined and even when he finally fought with his rumble ball power up he got taken down quickly.

Really hated Mobambi and all the animals. Arseholes pushing all their problems onto Chopper and expecting him to solve them. Even at the end Mobambi thinks that Chopper will somehow choose a land he's known for half a day over those he's been travelling with for a lot longer (no idea when exactly this is meant to fall since neither Vivi or Robin are present).
Mar 10, 12:18 PM

Jun 2017
they did Chopper dirty.It had an interesting storyline going on but made chopper out of character ,a meek asf runner.Wished it focussed on him than Luf as usual.
May 12, 1:27 AM

Oct 2015
Why do they always make the kids in these movies so damn annoying
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.