Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 19, 2014 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yup and more fighting although I like the way Dio pilots his mech into action. Ah Hina is on the opposite side of this war.

Not too much happened this episode but I'll look forward to see his develops. Hina ;.;
Jan 19, 2014 11:57 AM

Oct 2011
Aoba falling asleep XD. But that video was interesting. Explaining the Coupling System and the Valiancers too.

Aoba finally meets Hina!!!! But damn she tries to kill him : 0

"Coupling" System stopped working, the minute Aoba saw HIna. He was no longer in sync with Dio. I hope this system doesn't kill them T__T.
Jan 19, 2014 4:59 PM

Sep 2011
This is far more enjoyable than what I thought I would be experiencing... The main character doesn't piss me off one bit, the prick does, sort of. The cast seems relevant and no one is particularly ignored(so far). The mechanics are explained(as far as I know) and this whole thing seems really fun...

Ignoring the possible inconsistencies, I am liking this so far.
GodlyKyonJan 19, 2014 10:55 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 19, 2014 11:44 PM

Mar 2012
So far the setup is still fairly conventional -- Aoba being a civilian, but necessary during wartime between two major countries and answering the call, and Dio being the disciplinarian who looks down on Aoba. Of course, we now also know that Dio has that unique ability to predict enemy movements and react in time.

I'm a little surprised that Aoba didn't get to capture Hina this episode though. Given that this is a short 1-cour, I figured that the two will begin to interact and develop their relationship relatively early on. I'm guessing within the next couple of fights Hina will be brought over to Aoba's side somehow, and Hina will open up to Aoba from there. It looks like Sunrise is indeed playing this safe. Perhaps after the ups and downs of Valvrave they figured that they'd actually just come up with something normal? Either way, this is building up to be a potentially great series.
Jan 20, 2014 4:27 AM
Jul 2011
This is Extremely Sarcastic! I Hope

Mod Edit: Spoiler Tags added. Spoiler for Valvrave underneath.
rodacJan 20, 2014 9:35 PM
Jan 20, 2014 6:11 AM

Sep 2011

zannet_t said:
So far the setup is still fairly conventional -- Aoba being a civilian, but necessary during wartime between two major countries and answering the call, and Dio being the disciplinarian who looks down on Aoba. Of course, we now also know that Dio has that unique ability to predict enemy movements and react in time.

I'm a little surprised that Aoba didn't get to capture Hina this episode though. Given that this is a short 1-cour, I figured that the two will begin to interact and develop their relationship relatively early on. I'm guessing within the next couple of fights Hina will be brought over to Aoba's side somehow, and Hina will open up to Aoba from there. It looks like Sunrise is indeed playing this safe. Perhaps after the ups and downs of Valvrave they figured that they'd actually just come up with something normal? Either way, this is building up to be a potentially great series.

Is the set up conventional a good thing? What I like about this series is how it kind of reflects real life. With China's Shanghai cooperation and US-Japan alliance still strong... But thye say we will have mechs in 70 years? Sounds plausible. But meh...

Whatever, I don't see romance as a necessity in this series, I don't care what happens between then at all.
rodacJan 20, 2014 9:35 PM
Jan 20, 2014 9:44 AM
Nov 2013
It's sad to see people put an anime off due to "conventional" premise. We're in a age where nearly everything has been done. Nothing is original anymore. Concepts are still there but it's all about how they tell the story. So far up it seems pretty good. I've face palmed maybe a couple times but it doesn't beat face palming madness that is valrave. So I'd say it's a pretty good 3rd ep.
Jan 20, 2014 12:34 PM

Mar 2012
GodlyKyon said:
zannet_t said:
Is the set up conventional a good thing? What I like about this series is how it kind of reflects real life. With China's Shanghai cooperation and US-Japan alliance still strong... But thye say we will have mechs in 70 years? Sounds plausible. But meh...

Whatever, I don't see romance as a necessity in this series, I don't care what happens between then at all.

I wasn't making a value judgment about whether the conventional setup was a good or bad thing. I was just pointing out that it had a conventional setup. I personally agree with:
leemeru said:
We're in a age where nearly everything has been done. Nothing is original anymore. Concepts are still there but it's all about how they tell the story.

As to the romance, I think it's clear that it'll play a significant role in this series -- Hina in ep. 1 already made references to the relationship development between the two in the near future. And judging from how obsessed Aoba is with Hina right now, I doubt the mecha element will completely overshadow the underlying romance element. Romance is certainly not a necessity, but it's going to be there whether you care or not.
Jan 20, 2014 3:56 PM
Dec 2013
I bet if Aoba showed Hina her hairclip he has, she would have came with him.. Overall great episode, But I believe that hairclip he will come in handy one day in a future episode.
Jan 20, 2014 4:11 PM

Oct 2010
I really hope Aoba's desire to get Hina back doesn't start clouding his judgement later on, that would annoy me.
Jan 20, 2014 4:16 PM
Jul 2013
Episode with lots of action.

Hina!
http://i39.tinypic.com/2pocv3b.jpg
Jan 20, 2014 4:55 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Wow, I'm on the first page for once in my life.

Anyhow I wish CR got this instead of stupid Funi, Funi is so slow to release subs.

PS:

DioxAoba FTW
quercifoliaJan 24, 2014 6:19 AM

Jan 20, 2014 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
zannet_t said:
GodlyKyon said:
zannet_t said:

I wasn't making a value judgment about whether the conventional setup was a good or bad thing. I was just pointing out that it had a conventional setup. I personally agree with:
leemeru said:
We're in a age where nearly everything has been done. Nothing is original anymore. Concepts are still there but it's all about how they tell the story.

As to the romance, I think it's clear that it'll play a significant role in this series -- Hina in ep. 1 already made references to the relationship development between the two in the near future. And judging from how obsessed Aoba is with Hina right now, I doubt the mecha element will completely overshadow the underlying romance element. Romance is certainly not a necessity, but it's going to be there whether you care or not.

Oh... By Conventional you meant it's similar to other mecha series. Well in that case, it's a good thing for me as I have seen next to none Mecha except the most popular ones(Code Geass, Gurren Lagnn) and Gundam 00. As long as they do it well... It will be fine.
Jan 20, 2014 4:58 PM

Apr 2012
that was some really good aerial mech fighting
Jan 20, 2014 5:05 PM

Nov 2011
aoba better make a smart decision next episode...he was a complete idiot in this one
Hate Keeps me warm
Jan 20, 2014 5:10 PM

Jul 2013
So the 2nd wave battle begins with Zogilia attacking Dio's squad again. So Hina is on the opposite side, with no memories of any interactions between her and Aoba huh.

The battle was pretty good, but needs to balance itself from the story. Well it's the 3rd episode so i'll keep wait until interesting happens later episodes.

Jan 20, 2014 5:25 PM
Jan 2014
omega_d94 said:
So the 2nd wave battle begins with Zogilia attacking Dio's squad again. So Hina is on the opposite side, with no memories of any interactions between her and Aoba huh.

The battle was pretty good, but needs to balance itself from the story. Well it's the 3rd episode so i'll keep wait until interesting happens later episodes.

Isn't it because this Hina is different from the time traveling Hina?
Jan 20, 2014 5:47 PM

Nov 2012
That well done CGI. The fights in this episode was pretty good.
Jan 20, 2014 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
Aoba fell asleep while watching the video which explained the the mecha history and coupling system.

It was a good episode and mecha action.

Too bad, Hina was the enemy.

My guess is that Hina in this timeline is probably a different Hina from time traveling or Aoba had been went back in the time before Hina traveled back to the past of 2014.
Jan 20, 2014 6:20 PM

Oct 2010
I'm getting a lot of Valvrave the Liberator vibes from this show so far. Thats not a good sign for me. I did like the action.

Aoba Watase = Haruto Tokishima

Junyou Dio Weinberg = L-elf

Hina Yumihara = Saki Rukino

Not sure who the Shouko of this show is.
Jan 20, 2014 6:34 PM

May 2013
Why are you with the enemy Hina?! A lot of action in this episode. I hope that Aoba can maintain his composure, now that he's seen Hina.
Jan 20, 2014 7:23 PM

Sep 2007
Good grief Aoba is suffering from generic MC retardation right now.
Jan 20, 2014 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
Oh god. Come on Coupling system! Share some of Dio's bad ass'ness with Aoba >__< I facepalm'd so much during that forced decoupling sequence, my forehead hurts now.

Oh and question! How did Hina's hair clip remain with Aoba? Time-traveler Hina's not supposed to exist in that timeline right? Why is it still there?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 20, 2014 7:56 PM

Mar 2013
I was thinking this anime was so-so, but I'm actually finding this more enjoyable than what i originally thought.
Proposing..hmmm....how cute :P
Aoba and Dio reminds me of Haruto and L-Elf from Valvrave 0_o
Jan 20, 2014 8:21 PM
Jul 2012
I've seen a lot of Aoba hate after this episode. While he does deserve some flak for pulling a reckless stunt, I think the hate he's getting- in this particular case- is a bit much. Honestly, I can't help but wonder if he even knows about the forced decoupling- he was sleeping when Mayuka showed him that video, and from the looks of it, he'd initially assumed that he wouldn't have to fight again. - meaning that he probably wouldn't have thought about the implications of the Coupling system. It's doesn't exactly justify Dio getting hurt, but this should at least be a somewhat valid explanation.
Exposing himself to the enemy like that was illogical though- you don't have to be a soldier to realize that. I understand his shock at finding out that the girl who saved his life was alive and an enemy to boot (and it is indeed a nasty shock), but he really let his emotions cloud his judgement there, and forgot that he was in a battlefield.
I think we should all remember that Aoba is a civilian who's had a mostly comfortable life, and isn't as self-restrained or battle-hardened as Dio and the others are. It doesn't really diminish the thoughtlessness of his act, but if he realizes the possible consequences I'm willing to let this one slide.
Jan 20, 2014 8:23 PM

Apr 2011
xchee said:
Oh god. Come on Coupling system! Share some of Dio's bad ass'ness with Aoba >__< I facepalm'd so much during that forced decoupling sequence, my forehead hurts now.

Oh and question! How did Hina's hair clip remain with Aoba? Time-traveler Hina's not supposed to exist in that timeline right? Why is it still there?

inb4 the hair clip is actually not a hair clip but an electronic device that is gonna be used in the future as a plot device
Jan 20, 2014 8:26 PM

Mar 2010
Wasabi said:
Good grief Aoba is suffering from generic MC retardation right now.

pffffftttttttttttttt HAHAHAHAAHAHHA!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2014 8:34 PM

Dec 2011
love this episode so much! nice fights and all, but is this anime is really only 12 eps? The pacing is quite nice and I dont want them to rush the anime if it only have 12 eps... I hope there willbe season 2 like valvrave, I mean if VALVRAVE got a second season why not this, since this is definitey better than valv.
Jan 20, 2014 8:40 PM

Sep 2013
and aoba has realized! lol. he didn't seem too upset about it tho
he seemed more relieved that hina was alive, than anything :L hm

i wonder if any of the crew will actually believe his story haha
he's about to get in a ton of shit for that forced decoupling ><
Jan 20, 2014 8:45 PM

Dec 2011
bonifide said:
I'm getting a lot of Valvrave the Liberator vibes from this show so far. Thats not a good sign for me. I did like the action.

Aoba Watase = Haruto Tokishima

Junyou Dio Weinberg = L-elf

Hina Yumihara = Saki Rukino

Not sure who the Shouko of this show is.

Not really since the triangle revolves around the guy for one girl, valvrave triangle is 2 girls one guy, and in this one it's

The dude with hina in the ending song X hina X aoba

btw about the dude with hina in the ending song , I'm pretty sure he is the one that attack aoba in the past since they have same eye color.
amc9988Jan 20, 2014 8:53 PM
Jan 20, 2014 8:47 PM
Jun 2008
dokidokidoing said:
I've seen a lot of Aoba hate after this episode. While he does deserve some flak for pulling a reckless stunt, I think the hate he's getting- in this particular case- is a bit much. Honestly, I can't help but wonder if he even knows about the forced decoupling- he was sleeping when Mayuka showed him that video, and from the looks of it, he'd initially assumed that he wouldn't have to fight again. - meaning that he probably wouldn't have thought about the implications of the Coupling system. It's doesn't exactly justify Dio getting hurt, but this should at least be a somewhat valid explanation.
Exposing himself to the enemy like that was illogical though- you don't have to be a soldier to realize that. I understand his shock at finding out that the girl who saved his life was alive and an enemy to boot (and it is indeed a nasty shock), but he really let his emotions cloud his judgement there, and forgot that he was in a battlefield.
I think we should all remember that Aoba is a civilian who's had a mostly comfortable life, and isn't as self-restrained or battle-hardened as Dio and the others are. It doesn't really diminish the thoughtlessness of his act, but if he realizes the possible consequences I'm willing to let this one slide.

lol reading that it did put a little into perspective :P yea he is a civilian with a very comfortable life :P

but I still think that he showed really poor judgement, if there are bad asses flying around with big guns who in their right mind opens up their cockpit to expose themselves? why not just take the whole mech back to base? or save just hina alone without getting out of the mech?

Oh well will never understand these types of MC :p
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My moto in life is to try anything at least once.

People who laugh or berate others because they have a unique hobby are lower than cockroaches. Every person is entitled to when they want. Such is life.
Jan 20, 2014 8:49 PM

May 2012
It's a time loop issue that's coming up. I can see where this anime is ending.
I guess that's the reason why the enemy going into the past said "I never thought I would meet you here, Watase Aoba." or something like that.
This Hina for sure is different from the time-travelling one. I would think the time-travelling one is presumed to be dead.
Jan 20, 2014 8:57 PM

Jul 2013
Wait, has it been stated that this series will be 1-cour?
I think the way the story is progressing is pretty good, it will lead to a rushed ending.

On the episode, it was pretty much what I expected. They fight, Aoba meets Hina again but she is with the enemy. Now Aoba is confused. I personally can´t blame him, Hina is pretty much the first familiar face he sees.
Jan 20, 2014 9:12 PM

Apr 2011
Hina is back. But as an enemy.

Well, that force de-coupling almost cost them their lives. Good thing the enemy suffered as well. Aoba might receive a nice knuckle sandwich from Dio next episode.

So far, so good.
Jan 20, 2014 9:12 PM

May 2012
Soul-Master said:
On the episode, it was pretty much what I expected. They fight, Aoba meets Hina again but she is with the enemy. Now Aoba is confused. I personally can´t blame him, Hina is pretty much the first familiar face he sees.

Not to mention the first people he met in the future (captain especially) did pay attention to him when he said that Hina brought him to the future. I'm pretty sure they will be more interested in what he has to say now and will definitely plan something out.
Jan 20, 2014 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
Aoba is just going to scream "HINAAA" for the rest of the season.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 20, 2014 11:10 PM

Jul 2012
And so they meet again. Bizon x Hina x Aoba love triangle?

The captain looks so shifty. Hope he doesn't turn out to be shifty.

Given the story and the current episode count, chances of a rush ending is high...unless there is a second season.
Jan 20, 2014 11:20 PM

Jul 2013
whats the deal with Dio's attitude?? he must've suffered domestic violence when he was a kid.. what an iDIOt..

anyway this episode was great.. pretty interesting anime this is
Jan 20, 2014 11:25 PM

Aug 2013
Entravity said:

Like Saki did "HARUTOOO" in Valvrave? Oh noes lmao.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 20, 2014 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
I thought Aoba would realize it the moment he saw Hina's mecha XD, apparently not. This is much better! :D

For the first time in a long while, I found an anime that I'd enjoy rewatching. I think I watched ep2 3x. This episode 2x. In both episodes I repeated several key scenes to understand them more. Was really excited when the first ep aired though.

I hope they manage to make a great anime out of this one! The premise is very interesting.
Jan 21, 2014 12:52 AM

Mar 2013
another stupid Hero (Aoba) :P
Jan 21, 2014 12:55 AM

Dec 2011
xchee said:
Entravity said:

Like Saki did "HARUTOOO" in Valvrave? Oh noes lmao.

And how Haruto keep screaming "SHOUKOOO" lol
Jan 21, 2014 12:55 AM
Jun 2008
Entravity said:

hahahahaha good one :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My moto in life is to try anything at least once.

People who laugh or berate others because they have a unique hobby are lower than cockroaches. Every person is entitled to when they want. Such is life.
Jan 21, 2014 1:13 AM

Mar 2012
xehnri said:
I thought Aoba would realize it the moment he saw Hina's mecha XD, apparently not. This is much better! :D

Actually Hina is piloting a different Valiancer than the one she went back in time with. You can see the difference here:

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1390/14/1390146610716.jpg

They're both still pink though because SUNRISE!
Jan 21, 2014 1:20 AM

Aug 2010
Damn. I was hoping that this series doesn't take this path when I saw Hina as an enemy but unfortunately it did T_T

I was liking Aoba quite a lot as a character but unfortunately he had to do the generic MC shouting *Face Palm*

While I understand where he's coming from since he's in a place far in the future where he doesn't get what's going on then he finally saw the girl who sent him there...ofc he'd want to talk to her...but he should've done it analytically and thought the situation and location out more[who am I kidding lol] without having to forcefully de-couple and started shouting like an idiot mid air in the middle of battle -.-

Well at least we got that out of the way now. Since this is sadly gonna be a 1 cour it was gonna happen sooner or later. Glad it happened this soon. Hope Aoba gets over his emo retard phase and get back to being a BA. He's gonna be yelled at a lot nxt ep that's for sure ^^

The Mecha battles were out of this world amazing though O_O. Bravo. Loved how Dio and Aoba were owning and kicking ass :D...And all hand drawn! Respect. Can't wait for more battles :)
Jan 21, 2014 3:49 AM

May 2012
Sharinmeka is awesome.

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 21, 2014 4:45 AM

Jul 2012
Aoba is going to get yelled at for sure at the next episode. Dio is getting on my nerves. He acts annoying to Aoba. Hope it will get better....
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 21, 2014 4:52 AM

Feb 2008
Sharing knowledge by coupling system, that's some really amazing system.
Well, it was all expect that Hina would be on the enemy side and she would't know from this future timelines.
Well, it was probably another Hina a bit further in the future, but somehow it feel kind of odd to think of a time looping.
It's make me wonder how it will end.

I can't blame Aoba for what he did.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 21, 2014 4:59 AM

Apr 2013
I bet Dio is pissed cos of the forced decoupling :P
Jan 21, 2014 5:24 AM

Apr 2011
Didn't like it from the moment he found Hina.. wait_wat.. 4/10 for this ep max and my score will drop for this anime if it goes like this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

74 by TheSelleri »»
Jun 27, 2:48 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

3 by TheOnlyOneTM »»
Jun 10, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.