Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Sols New Anime Streaming Service Announce With Tekkaman, Creamy Mami, & Yatterman

New
Nov 7, 2012 9:51 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
A joint venture of Tezuka Productions Co., Ltd., Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd., Pierrot Co., Ltd., and Quarkpro LLC, to focus on streaming Japanese animation to North America and producing and selling related goods.

Anime Sols will start in the spring of 2013 and offer a number of anime titles. The joint partnership between these production companies will also offer goods and rewards for users. The better a show does the more goods will be produced and more shows will be offered.

The starting titles are:
Tekkaman the Space Knight (1975),
Bander Book (1978)
Creamy Mami The Magic Angel (1983)
Yatterman (2008)

Source: Press Release
BrandNov 7, 2012 10:20 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2012 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
That's pretty fucking sweet. Nice to finally have both Tekkaman AND Creamy Mami in English & legally. Here's hoping it works in Europe, like Viki.
Nov 7, 2012 10:26 AM

May 2012
I wonder why 70s and 80s anime are rated so low in this site.
Nov 7, 2012 10:37 AM

Nov 2011
@Gahara_18 Well unfortunately, alot of people don't have standards.
Alot of idiots, oh I'm sorry "fans" would rather watch crap like K-on! or Icky Tousen rather than pieces of exquisite literature like Galaxy Express 999 or Rose of Versailles.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/common_sense_god_damn_super_power.jpg This sums up my thoughts pretty well, courtesy of Deadpool.
Nov 7, 2012 10:39 AM

Feb 2011
This is truly awesome!
Nov 7, 2012 11:12 AM

Jul 2010
Alot of idiots, oh I'm sorry "fans" would rather watch crap like K-on! or Icky Tousen rather than pieces of exquisite literature like Galaxy Express 999 or Rose of Versailles.

True that. It's a good thing old anime are getting some decent attention now! Though I have to admit, I didn't like Creamy Mami that much. But if this Anime Sols thing is real, then I should become a user and support them if it means getting more old anime out here.
Nov 7, 2012 11:24 AM

Sep 2011
Creamy, I guess.
I've never heard of any of these and I thought I watched alot of old anime, guess I've still got a ways to go.
Also, I've never seen Galaxy express 999(though I plan to) and I love Rose of Versailles but calling an anime an 'piece of exquisite literature' is nothing short of laughable, no matter how good it is.
Nov 7, 2012 11:24 AM

Nov 2008
Starting with mostly the classics is the best option, it needs some more classic mecha in the future.

Nov 7, 2012 11:29 AM
Mar 2011
Brand said:
Yatterman (2008)

crappy remakes suck
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 7, 2012 11:44 AM

Nov 2008
Otaking87 said:
Brand said:
Yatterman (2008)

crappy remakes suck

I wonder why they couldn't get the original Yatterman for consistency since the rest are classics.

Nov 7, 2012 11:47 AM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
Otaking87 said:
Brand said:
Yatterman (2008)

crappy remakes suck

I wonder why they couldn't get the original Yatterman for consistency since the rest are classics.

id say the Orgnal Time Boken would have been better [ oh this does not effect me but its still strange]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 7, 2012 12:23 PM

Jun 2007
Klonoa79H said:

I love how by your standards "if it's old it's SUPERIOR AND EXQUISITE LITERATURE!". Which, in itself, is hilarious enough that you believe these cartoons are "exquisite literature" but that's aside the point.

Watching K-ON does not make you unable to watch dated anime. You're amazingly ignorant along with everyone agreeing with you and I find it hilarious that you're so new to the medium you believe you can only watch new stuff or old stuff, or one style of series over another.

You're not even an adult, so stop acting like liking older stuff makes you one, it's clearly how your head works and why you so vehemently believe anyone who has broader tastes than you is somehow lacking in standards. You have a closed off mind and only can enjoy a very small amount of things because of it, your list and preferred styles prove that much, let alone the fact the first thing that came to your mind was OH BOY IF YOU LIKE K-ON THERES NOOO WAY YOU'D LIKE SOMETHING GOOD XDDDD.

Grow up, the whole lot of you.

On top of that, the post you were even replying to was about these anime being RATED low - not being rarely rated, which means your answer is also laughably WRONG because by YOUR OWN LOGIC it's IMPOSSIBLE. People who, as you assumed, do NOT watch the show would NOT be rating it - and thus would have nothing to do with the low ratings - so get some fucking brains while you're maturing too.

And before some mod gets mad that I told him he's an idiot - he baselessly insulted anyone who enjoys shows he doesn't, which is known as being prejudice and intolerant as well as very clearly treating anyone who doesn't share his views as a lesser person - which is a lot worse than saying "get some fucking brains", especially when he believes you're somehow worse than he is, which is seemingly impossible.
TallonKarrde23Nov 7, 2012 12:38 PM
Nov 7, 2012 12:37 PM

Jul 2008
i want the time bakon
the dub only the first 36 episode in my country and finaly i may can watch it
Nov 7, 2012 12:45 PM

Nov 2011
I'm open to both classic and modern titles, as long as it has an interesting premise, thats all that matters to me.

For modern day movies, Drive, Oldboy and The Artist are fantastic.
For classic movies, the original Godzilla, Dr. Strangelove and Brazil are also fantastic.

But bad stuff exists in all eras.

Superman 64, Batman Forever, Deadly Towers and The Blues Brother video games are BAD, just as an example.
Nov 7, 2012 12:45 PM

Aug 2008
Great lineup, I'm sure they'll sell millions

.. not.
Nov 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Dec 2010
Gah, only north america...
Nov 7, 2012 12:49 PM
Mar 2011
GaZsTiC said:
Klonoa79H said:

Indeed. More people need to watch exquisite masterpieces such as Creamy Mami...

[/sarcasm]

while its not as good as Minky momo Mami is very good

Nov 7, 2012 1:07 PM

Nov 2008
I got a slight epiphany maybe they should license Sailor Moon (2013 version for simulcast), the fact it will sell would be an understatement beyond an understatement, don't get me started on merchandise sales.

Nov 7, 2012 1:10 PM
Mar 2011
jmal said:
Klonoa79H said:
Do sales REALLY matter though?

Businesses generally require revenue to operate.

Kvakond did not (directly anyway) comment on the enjoyability of the shows. Rather it looks to me like a snarky comment on the viability, or potential lack thereof, of this business model.

I suppose it all comes down to their costs. They won't sell a lot, but maybe they don't need to sell a lot if they're doing this cheaply enough.

all sales = profit in this case

Nov 7, 2012 1:39 PM
Mar 2011
jmal said:
Otaking87 said:
all sales = profit in this case

Why do you think so? The following very basic costs, at a minimum, need to be recouped first:
- Developing a streaming platform (or purchasing/licensing/re-purposing an existing platform)
- Hosting/bandwidth costs
- Translation, editing, subtitling
- Marketing, however minimal
- Employee salaries

Certainly this is nowhere near as expensive as creating brand new anime, and since the Japanese are doing it directly, there aren't the usual licensing costs. But it's not free money.

they relese and subbing there own owned stuff

its like animax Licensing here thay thry will Translation wont cost that much why would tehy edit this stuff

they will use there Employees thay Already have so no extra money need there

Nov 7, 2012 1:39 PM

Feb 2010
Hm, gonna wait on more details regarding the streaming service. But the titles are interesting, certainly not stuff that is easily available. I don't care much for the mahou shoujo genre, but Tekkaman and Bander Book will be watched if available. Right after I finally got around to wtaching K-ON, lol.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 7, 2012 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
wow a bunch of old school anime
Nov 7, 2012 1:56 PM

May 2011
Brings back memories.
Nov 7, 2012 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
As a mahou shoujo fan, I'm excited to watch Creamy Mami. I'll be looking out for this service. I remember it was hinted at somewhere else, but I'm glad it's actually happening.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Klonoa79H said:

I love how by your standards "if it's old it's SUPERIOR AND EXQUISITE LITERATURE!". Which, in itself, is hilarious enough that you believe these cartoons are "exquisite literature" but that's aside the point.

Someone here FINALLY said it. I thank you.
Valkyrie_WingsNov 7, 2012 2:05 PM
Nov 7, 2012 2:21 PM

Jun 2008
Gahara_18 said:

Well, to be frank a lot of those old animes has very lame screenplay\writing by today's standards. I remember how I tried to watch the classic sports drama "Ace wo Nerae" and I couldn't keep a straight face because of all the hilariously OVERDRAMATIC scenes. You need to be quite open minded to be able to look past this cheesiness and appreciate the old series for their good qualities.
Nov 7, 2012 2:30 PM
Mar 2011
kuchitsu said:
Gahara_18 said:

Well, to be frank a lot of those old animes has very lame screenplaywriting by today's standards. I remember how I tried to watch the classic sports drama "Ace wo Nerae" and I couldn't keep a straight face because of all the hilariously OVERDRAMATIC scenes. You need to be quite open minded to be able to look past this cheesiness and appreciate the old series for their good qualities.

Bull
most Mondern anime is badly written and very much better than newer Moe crap

how can you say K on is better writeen then esu or 999

Nov 7, 2012 2:38 PM

Jun 2008
probably my wording was a bit wrong because I suck at english :D
I don't mean the stories, I mean... how the scenes are made, how they are paced, what methods are used to achieve the dramatic effect, stuff like that... In 70-80s many authors weren't that good at this so old animes often look quite silly IMO.
Nov 7, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
Klonoa79H said:

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/common_sense_god_damn_super_power.jpg This sums up my thoughts pretty well, courtesy of Deadpool.

Fortunatly, a lot of pretentious morons, I'm sorry I mean "Objective viewers with godly critical thinking skills." are around to balance it all. I'll dare people have different tastes.

Seriously though, I don't care if you like older or newer stuff, both have merits in my opinion, but don't call people idiots because they don't like the same stuff you do.

Edit: Also, it's quite annoying how people keep saying "moe crap", like they think the producers slap big eyes on a cute girl acting cute and that's why people like K-On! A lot of moe shows aren't well received while others are, the reason is simple, it's actually the writing and directing behind the show, as well as the characters and character interactions that make these "moe blobs" good to most people. The moe aspect, aka how the characters are drawn and act, is just another style of doing a series (like chibi for example) and isn't what determines whether it's good or not.
Arch-DefenderNov 7, 2012 3:11 PM
Nov 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Mar 2011
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Fortunatly, a lot of pretentious morons, I'm sorry I mean "Objective viewers with godly critical thinking skills." are around to balance it all. I'll dare people have different tastes.

Seriously though, I don't care if you like older or newer stuff, both have merits in my opinion, but don't call people idiots because they don't like the same stuff you do.

i happen to like modern anime to but just not the Moe Crap

Nov 7, 2012 3:50 PM

Jul 2010
Otaking87 said:
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Ok. But just because you consider yourself a historian of the medium doesn't mean that everyone else's opinions and observations are invalid.
Nov 7, 2012 3:56 PM
Mar 2011
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Otaking87 said:
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Ok. But just because you consider yourself a historian of the medium doesn't mean that everyone else's opinions and observations are invalid.

no i took his views to heart
no i dont call people fools i call them unpious
i dont dismiss stuff from any era like people do around here

Nov 7, 2012 4:10 PM
Mar 2011
5h4m4573r said:
They are just angry because K-on made so much money and is still making money. No need to get defensive against their pretentiousness, they are unhappy and we are having a fuwa fuwa time.

Gundam makes more money than K on could ever wish to i study meach sales figs a money evrny thing makes an old show like Gundam makes more money every Year than K on every will or or ever could

Nov 7, 2012 4:45 PM

Nov 2008
Otaking87 said:
5h4m4573r said:
They are just angry because K-on made so much money and is still making money. No need to get defensive against their pretentiousness, they are unhappy and we are having a fuwa fuwa time.

Gundam makes more money than K on could ever wish to i study meach sales figs a money evrny thing makes an old show like Gundam makes more money every Year than K on every will or or ever could
That's awesome, bro. Meanwhile, it's about to rain outside :V
Nov 7, 2012 4:59 PM
Sep 2012
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Otaking87 said:
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Here's a though: How bout many casual viewers out there aren't otakus or don't normally bother looking for old school animes. They're satisfied with the loads anime that's currently airing and don't want to bother taking the time so search for old animes that may or may not appeal to them.

A lot of casual viewers don't even know about animes that have aired more than 10 years ago. I my self only find out about older shows from recommendations and people mentioning them on forums.
Nov 7, 2012 6:22 PM

May 2011
AiCon said:
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Otaking87 said:
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Here's a though: How bout many casual viewers out there aren't otakus or don't normally bother looking for old school animes. They're satisfied with the loads anime that's currently airing and don't want to bother taking the time so search for old animes that may or may not appeal to them.

A lot of casual viewers don't even know about animes that have aired more than 10 years ago. I my self only find out about older shows from recommendations and people mentioning them on forums.

Well said! But enough of this pointless arguments, because people around this site don't like it when someone's criticizing a genre/tendency because it automatically makes of him/her an elitist fucker. But seriously, the people who think that everything in this world is subjective are either 12 or simply delusional.
Nov 7, 2012 7:15 PM

Mar 2011
And so the anime oldfags press on in their crusade to educate the shallow, ignorant anime newfags and their belief in the moe moe kyun. How rich.

Will be checking out the titles listed (since people seem to say generally good things about them), but I'm gonna put on my anti-hipster spandex pants first, lest I turn into a nasty old man while browsing through them.
junglepenguinNov 7, 2012 7:19 PM
Nov 7, 2012 7:43 PM

Jul 2010
KingGidora said:
AiCon said:
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Otaking87 said:
Arch-Defender said:
Klonoa79H said:

Well said! But enough of this pointless arguments, because people around this site don't like it when someone's criticizing a genre/tendency because it automatically makes of him/her an elitist fucker. But seriously, the people who think that everything in this world is subjective are either 12 or simply delusional.

I've never seen your profile before, but I just knew LOGH was in your favorites. And I was right.
Objectivity?
Nov 7, 2012 7:49 PM

Jan 2009
Brand said:
A joint venture of Tezuka Productions Co., Ltd., Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd., Pierrot Co., Ltd., and Quarkpro LLC, to focus on streaming Japanese animation to North America and producing and selling related goods.

Pierrot? i think this is the studio behind a lot of long shounen series like Naruto Shippuuden and Bleach and etc right? that means Crunchyroll might be in trouble lol
Nov 7, 2012 7:50 PM
Aug 2012
Could be good.
Nov 7, 2012 7:53 PM

Jul 2011
KingGidora said:

Actually, what made him an "Elitist fucker" was claiming that those who like a certain type of shows are "Idiots with no standards" and not his personal dislike of the shows themselves. And "subjectivity" wasn't the reason some people got riled up, though I'm assuming being called an idiot might have had something to do with it.

"Subjectivity" asside, people are actually entitled to enjoy any show they desire without being insulted for it or being accused of "Contributing to the decline of the industry".
Arch-DefenderNov 7, 2012 8:06 PM
Nov 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Jan 2009
and i just notice this Quarkpro LLC and its a company by QuarkBoy a known translator that is also active on some anime forum sites like AnimeSuki
Nov 7, 2012 10:49 PM

May 2010
Good, put some anime knowledge into these nartuards
Nov 8, 2012 12:20 AM
Dec 2009
j0x said:
and i just notice this Quarkpro LLC and its a company by QuarkBoy a known translator that is also active on some anime forum sites like AnimeSuki

Yup, that's my company.

Let me answer a couple of things brought up in the thread:

1. Costs
Yup, we're keeping them very low. We are developing our own platform, but it's not trying to be the next facebook: Just a place where you can watch streams and pre-purchase support packages.
2. Expectations
We know these shows are niche and old anime only appeals to a certain crowd, and also that limiting the site to the US limits the audience. But we feel like there are enough fans of classic anime to support DVD releases if we give people the opportunity. Since we operate similar to kickstarter, we'll only actually make DVDs for shows which raise enough support, keeping overall risks down.

Basically, if we can successfully put out ~10 DVD sets (13 eps each) a year, we'll do fine. If there's a lot of support we could put out even more!
Nov 8, 2012 2:41 AM
May 2007
Quarkboy said:
But we feel like there are enough fans of classic anime to support DVD releases if we give people the opportunity.

Good enough. I always wanted to watch Yatterman remake so I will definitely consider getting the DVD sets if they become available.
Nov 8, 2012 10:52 AM

Aug 2008
Quarkboy said:

We know these shows are niche and old anime only appeals to a certain crowd, and also that limiting the site to the US limits the audience.

You guys should really, really think about expanding it more than just US. At least US & Canada. Take a look at Masaaki Yuasa's Kickstarter to get a feel of how many non-US supporters it had.

At least I could be interested in this project, but I live in Mexico.
Otaku no naka no Otaku, Otaking ni narimasu -- Otaku no Video, Gainax, 1992.
Nov 8, 2012 11:45 AM
Apr 2010
cool
Nov 8, 2012 6:36 PM
Dec 2009
cat_clan said:
Quarkboy said:

We know these shows are niche and old anime only appeals to a certain crowd, and also that limiting the site to the US limits the audience.

You guys should really, really think about expanding it more than just US. At least US & Canada. Take a look at Masaaki Yuasa's Kickstarter to get a feel of how many non-US supporters it had.

At least I could be interested in this project, but I live in Mexico.

The project has too small a budget to handle the tricky legal issues in multiple regions.

And good news, it IS US/Canada already. I'm sorry I mispoke above: like the press release says, the site is "north america", not just the US.
Nov 9, 2012 1:16 AM
Jun 2012
oh man old anime...
Jun 22, 2013 3:23 AM

Jan 2008
It pretty much failed. Mami got the most money, but it's only at 33%, and it has about a month left. It need to get 12000$ in a month. Not going to happen.
Aug 29, 2013 1:49 AM

Jan 2008
DmonHiro said:
It pretty much failed. Mami got the most money, but it's only at 33%, and it has about a month left. It need to get 12000$ in a month. Not going to happen.

Well... it actually happened. Huh... I honestly didn't expect that. Good on them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TOHO Acquires GKIDS, Expanding Global Animation Influence

Vindstot - Yesterday

20 by Antanaru »»
3 hours ago

» 'Boku no Hero Academia' Final Season Announced for 2025

Nioxys - Oct 12

30 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Sakamoto Days' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Pierrot and Asahi Production Sign Partnership Agreement

Vindstot - Oct 12

9 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Doraemon' Voice Actress Nobuyo Ooyama Dies at 90

Vindstot - Oct 11

16 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.